[Suggestion] Remove the RNG from tonics

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hunter.8372

Hunter.8372

Tonics are in need of attention, mainly due to the fact that transformations can be rather irritating to acquire, I mean, when I really want to become a suit of armor, I can’t because it eventually takes me around fifty or so ‘Transformation’ actions to acquire that exact transformation.

So here’s what I propose

I think the whole RNG aspect of it should be removed and replaced with a sipping mechanic. Basically how this would work is the right-hand side toolbar is replaced with sipping actions, each one is a different sip, turning you into something different.
An example would be, say you have the Endless Toymakers Tonic, sip one turns you into a Dolyak, two sips turn you into a Toy Ventari, three makes you a Doll, and four turns you into a Golem toy.

Though if one tonic has too many transformations, the elite skill box would be replaced with a ‘Next’ arrow, allowing the player to view the other transformations that couldn’t fit in with the first selection, kind of like how the instruments work when you change octaves.

Here’s a little mock-up I made as a reference if anyone is having trouble visualizing it.

Attachments:

Posted by: Bennieboj.2607

Bennieboj.2607

I second this

Posted by: Howell Qagan.9752

Howell Qagan.9752

Definitely welcome.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

A good QoL idea.

But I think we’ll never see it as it renders Endless X Type Fixed tonics less valuable by making Random ones too convenient.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Grim Reaper CZ.9274

Grim Reaper CZ.9274

So what about new, “rarer” type of tonics, you could choose what creature you transform into. Something like the random ones (e.g. Endless Toymakers Tonic) but with the possibility to choose (Ascended Endless Toymakers Tonic?), as OP suggested. Perhaps with the possibility to use the exotic Endless tonics to ascend them. I doubt we’ll ever see it but it’d be awesome.

Posted by: Wiz.1543

Wiz.1543

I don’t see any harm in at least doing this for the endless mystery tonics.

That would be fantastic so I can always be a glowing lamp. :p

Posted by: Fijisromeo.6079

Fijisromeo.6079

Forgive me if I’m misinterpreting your suggestion, but correct me if I am wrong. For majority of the tonics there are separate specific tonics for the specific transformation your all requesting? Yes it may be slightly cumbersome to fill up your bag with tonics but then again why not just purchase/craft/mystic forge/obtain the specific tonic and have the endless random tonic you currently are in favor of? The necessity to rewrite the code (if that is required) to generate the same response may seem a bit low on the priority scale in my opinion, anyway my 2 cents ;0)

Posted by: Hunter.8372

Hunter.8372

Forgive me if I’m misinterpreting your suggestion, but correct me if I am wrong. For majority of the tonics there are separate specific tonics for the specific transformation your all requesting? Yes it may be slightly cumbersome to fill up your bag with tonics but then again why not just purchase/craft/mystic forge/obtain the specific tonic and have the endless random tonic you currently are in favor of? The necessity to rewrite the code (if that is required) to generate the same response may seem a bit low on the priority scale in my opinion, anyway my 2 cents ;0)

The transformations in the individual tonics would remain the same. IE, Endless Toymakers tonic would only allow you to turn into the festive transformations and so on.

My suggestion concerns how players transform into those individual transformations, not which tonic allows you to transform into what.