[Suggestion] Rolling backward mechanic

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Howell Qagan.9752

Howell Qagan.9752

TLDR: Change rollback skills to channeled skills, so they only roll back as long as you are pressing the skill.

Currently skills that roll the character backward are kind of uncontrollable in tight spots, as they roll back a great distance. So my suggestion is that change them to the skill mechanic that does a skill as long as you are pressing the skill. It already exists, now the golem (regular golem from Mysterious Tonic, and maybe Toy Golem too) skill comes into my mind. It does this spinning with its hands and pushing everything away. The spinning has a maximum duration but will only do it as long as the skill is being channeled by having it pressed. This way it could be used in different situations, not only on big, open areas.

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

All that these evade backwards skills really require is for the player to be aware of surroundings and their positioning, which goes hand in hand with the action-based combat of this game. I’m not sure what having it as some sort of channeled skill would bring to it, except you wasting time deciding whether or not to use it, using it, and still it won’t make a difference if you need to evade but are in the wrong position. Either you’ll evade and still have trouble, or you won’t and you’ll not dodge the hit, so there’s no perceivable benefit.

Posted by: Howell Qagan.9752

Howell Qagan.9752

All that these evade backwards skills really require is for the player to be aware of surroundings and their positioning, which goes hand in hand with the action-based combat of this game. I’m not sure what having it as some sort of channeled skill would bring to it, except you wasting time deciding whether or not to use it, using it, and still it won’t make a difference if you need to evade but are in the wrong position. Either you’ll evade and still have trouble, or you won’t and you’ll not dodge the hit, so there’s no perceivable benefit.

I’m not sure you understood what I meant. There is a type of skill, that makes you cast the skill, which is a skill that moves your character as long as you are holding the button down. So say a skill now evades backwards 900 units, under 1.5 seconds. If you pressed the skill once, it would only do 300 units in 0.5 second. If you pressed it for 1 second then it would do 600 units and if you pressed for the whole 1.5 seconds then it would do the 900 units. There is no need to hesitate about using, you just do it.

Posted by: root.9415

root.9415

IIRC in the beta there were several skills which involved channeling e.i actively pressing a key would affect the duration. One of the issues with this is with the amount of skill lag currently in the game, particularly in WvW, by the the time the server registers you having depressed the key the full duration of the skill has elapsed anyway. Siege skills have fairly long channeling durations and AFAIK the only active (e.i not passive) channeling skills left in the game, so timing can be tricky even with predictable skill lag. Implementing this on combat skills that only last 1-2 seconds could be an issue.

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

Oh, I see what you mean, you want to grade the amount you evade backwards by according to how long you “charge” the skill. Yeah, that could work. I have often misjudged an evade and fallen over ledges etc because of it. But generally, I just count that my fault because I didn’t play the game well enough to take account of the surroundings and use the correct positioning. By the time I feel a dodge is necessary, I don’t really have time to be thinking how long I need to hold the button for – I just need a dodge, lol.

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

Why not? Yes, AN has mutch more things to fix & redo in their priority list, but I’m +1 at this one.

As a Ranger, I don’t know how exactly would I benefit of this tho.

• Lightning Reflexes? Best if it stays as long as possible, still not worth kitten against facesticking thieves.
  • Swoop? I don’t see the point to swoop less in distance…

The only thing that would come good is our heal skills are very quick casted with lesser load & cd on a quick tap, and stay pushing activates it fully. Maybe even more powerful in a non-linear curve design. I mean;

1. quicktap: 3k heal, 10s cd
  2. longtap: 3-15k heal, 10-kitten cd

What I do expect is more stylish animations for dodges/slides.

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

I want see the rolling skills to roll in the direction what i want

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+