[Suggestion] The Right Time for Mounts

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

How about, when they fix all mesmer phantasm bugs and actually make them all properly function, you all can have your mounts?

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

Posted by: Gummy.4278

Gummy.4278

However in my design ideas I did come up with a skill for the damage type mount that had a Charge! skill that gave a 50% speed buff to u and your party or the nearest allies for 2 or 3 seconds.

It is unnecessary to completely redesign the game for this to be implemented since it is already in the game.

Many professions can already grant a temporary speed boost to allies. If you wish to do this, the answer is simple..Play one of those professions, and use those skills.

it is ridiculous to expect Anet to redesign the game, because you don’t wish to play a profession, and use the skills that grant you what you want.

The skills are already in the game that do what you wish.

I believe that the guardian can grant a temporary speed boost to allies, and the elementalist. Maybe one of the hunter spirits, all the warrior banners.

I am sure there are others. We do not need mounted speed boost to provide you what the game has already implemented. If you don’t wish to avail yourself to what the game has already provided, then it sounds like a personal problem.

As to your " compromise" I for one, don’t seek compromise. See for players like me, the options are :

1. Mounted speed-boost
2. No mounted speed-boost.

Since we want what Anet is already providing … option 2. we do not need to compromise. You seem to feel you can say " well deep down i want 200 % speed Boost on a combat mount, so let’s compromise on a 50 % temporary speed boost combat mount?"

50 % is unbalanced. It is overpowered. Giving a Mount the ability to grant a 50 % speed boost however temporary will make those mounts mandatory. If you say you fail to understand why, that is being disingenuous.

you are overlooking that I am talking about a new area to be designed inside the Mist for mounted combat to play out. How can a skill that is only used inside this contained area be unbalancing and overpowering. Everyone in this area will be using some form of mount for a massive amount of the game play that will take place inside this area.

Gummy.4278

Anyone who says something to the effect of “You want this game to cease being the game it is, be completely re-designed into a completely different game, with all the time, energy and resources that would drain from other projects.”

Forgets Anet did this already:

GW1 was completely re-designed into a completely different game. Its now GW2. You want to know something else I played GW1 all the way back since the beginning. That game was gem as it did not play like most games out there and never did I ever hear anyone ask for mounts even though they did provide us with some in the expansions.

But here is the real trick and you can see this for yourself on the wiki.
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_Utopia
Utopia was a planned expansion that got cancelled and most of its design got eaten up and turned mostly into Eye of the North which was the turning point that made this newer game GW2. On the Wiki it notes about the features of the cancelled expansion.

“Little is known about the features of Utopia, however, horses, giant beetles and other mounts are featured heavily in artwork for the cancelled campaign. It’s possible that these were a planned feature, or part of a planned profession for C4, but for whatever reason were not implemented. Mounts may, in fact, be one of the “exciting new features” the ArenaNet team wished to implement, but couldn’t due to technical or time constraints, or the fact that it wouldn’t work with what they had done previously."

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:%22Mount%22_concept_art_2.jpg
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Mount_concept_art.jpg

Does anyone remember this?

Just because they had some concept art DOES NOT MEAN IT WAS GOING TO BE IN GAME. Ever think they showed that concept art because they wanted to show off how good the artists were and needed to show something that wasn’t proprietary at the time? Also, just because there is art, doesn’t mean it has been modeled to fin in – that is another step in the process.

Utopia is not GW2. Utopia was dropped for development of GW2, that was stated by A.Net. A.Net, more than likely, started GW2 and Utopia more than likely at the same time and picked the best game scenario that fits in the lore and that was GW2.

I never said it was gonna be added because of concept art. I am pretty sure that I did say that most of Utopia was absorbed and ideas used to make Eye of the North. YES I did say that.
I know all to well that Anet never reveals anything in the works cause idiots will turn on them if it does not make it to game. Look with what has been announced on precursor crafting and now its not in game and people keep bringing up that its not in game and accusing Anet of making promises they don’t keep.

Gummy.4278

Anyone who says something to the effect of “You want this game to cease being the game it is, be completely re-designed into a completely different game, with all the time, energy and resources that would drain from other projects.”

Forgets Anet did this already:

GW1 was completely re-designed into a completely different game. Its now GW2. You want to know something else I played GW1 all the way back since the beginning. That game was gem as it did not play like most games out there and never did I ever hear anyone ask for mounts even though they did provide us with some in the expansions.

But here is the real trick and you can see this for yourself on the wiki.
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_Utopia
Utopia was a planned expansion that got cancelled and most of its design got eaten up and turned mostly into Eye of the North which was the turning point that made this newer game GW2. On the Wiki it notes about the features of the cancelled expansion.

“Little is known about the features of Utopia, however, horses, giant beetles and other mounts are featured heavily in artwork for the cancelled campaign. It’s possible that these were a planned feature, or part of a planned profession for C4, but for whatever reason were not implemented. Mounts may, in fact, be one of the “exciting new features” the ArenaNet team wished to implement, but couldn’t due to technical or time constraints, or the fact that it wouldn’t work with what they had done previously."

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:%22Mount%22_concept_art_2.jpg
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Mount_concept_art.jpg

Does anyone remember this?

The complete redesign of Guild Wars and release of Gw2, is in No way comparable to completely redesigning gw2….. to make mounts relevant in gw2 .

If you say you do not see the differences you are being disingenuous. Now, if you want mounts with a Gw2 Lore background, skill set, engine, and classes, I am sure that none of us that do NOT want mounts would object to you doing as your post suggests….

Suggest to Anet that they release a new game set in the Gw2 Universe, that focuses on Mounts, Speed Boost and Combat.

That way , just as we STILL have Guild Wars for the players that did not find Gw2 to their liking, we will also have Gw2…for those that do not want Mounts.

You can name it " Gw2: Knights Triumphant" or something.

Edit: Actually this is a good idea. See the proposition has been made that the majority of the player base wants mounts.

It seems to me that if this is in fact so, “Gw2:Knights Triumphant” would quickly drain the Gw2 game since it would be giving all those players In gw2 what they wish, Speed-boost mounts and mounted combat.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Of course the opposite might also happen. No one goes to play the new game, but it would finally answer the question. Do enough players want Mounted Speed Boost and Combat enough to play a game designed for it?

I was already answering the last post, see it as I had tried to clear up some confusion about my ideas. Also that clarification could also result in the answer the question of if people really want to try mounts that are not toys, but machines of pure destruction.

(edited by Gummy.4278)

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

This topic has been debated way too much for 2 years now with the same comments going back and forth. Each time a new Mount thread goes up, once a week on average I believe, all anyone does is spew the same words from previous threads. So forgive me for not wanting to read through the entirety of this thread.

However.
IF anyone is willing to repeat and/or summarize any NEW comments as to why Mounts are needed in this game, I’d appreciate it. I’m only interested in answers for “We NEED mounts because ______________.” Wanting something alone will not make it happen. There are so many things that people want in this game, ideas ranging from interesting to insane, and the likelihood of them being picked above everything else for implementation is slim to none.

Again, as I’m being somewhat lazy by not reading the whole thread myself, I’m not expecting anyone to respond to this post. But I thank anyone in advance if they do.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

I’m not arguing that from a lore POV that they can’t or shouldn’t exist. IIt’s simply not practical. My stance is simple 3 points … there is no need for mounts, it’s alot of work for little return, it’s not inline with the concept of the game. Two of those points aren’t even my opinion. Mounts would not get people anywhere faster than current methods. Mounts would not improve GW2 bottom line based on the work required to implement them. As a business decision, mounts would be dubious; a gamble. Anet doesn’t need to gamble.

Based on the information you obtained from the last Anet meeting you attended?

Based on the fact that it takes time money and effort to make when they aren’t needed in the game, especially if they already compromise current game content and concepts.

I don’t really care what fancy buffs you think a mount could have. Fancy buffs aren’t compelling reasons to make a whole new system to deliver them. If you want fancy buffs, it’s simply a new elite skill or whatever. There are plenty of ways to deliver buffs to team mates in the game already. Justifying mounts with buff delivery … nonsense.

I have an understanding of how the business works, what I try not to do is speculate on things without the numbers that can prove my point.
I have already proven that Anet will compromise current game content and concepts.
I also don’t really care less what you think as well, so by that token at least we agree.

How have you proven it? A.Net has delivered their game as best as they could.

Often times, it is more a compromise on what can actually be done vs. what is wanted. Often times those situations are juxtaposed.

That is why, if you look at the developer’s blogs, many things are ongoing. They do try to make it right or as best as they can. Some items are hard, others not so hard – just depends.

Gummy.4278

I’m not arguing that from a lore POV that they can’t or shouldn’t exist. IIt’s simply not practical. My stance is simple 3 points … there is no need for mounts, it’s alot of work for little return, it’s not inline with the concept of the game. Two of those points aren’t even my opinion. Mounts would not get people anywhere faster than current methods. Mounts would not improve GW2 bottom line based on the work required to implement them. As a business decision, mounts would be dubious; a gamble. Anet doesn’t need to gamble.

Based on the fact that it takes time money and effort to make when they aren’t needed in the game, especially if they already compromise current game content and concepts.

I don’t really care what fancy buffs you think a mount could have. Fancy buffs aren’t compelling reasons to make a whole new system to deliver them. If you want fancy buffs, it’s simply a new elite skill or whatever. There are plenty of ways to deliver buffs to team mates in the game already. Justifying mounts with buff delivery … nonsense.

I have an understanding of how the business works, what I try not to do is speculate on things without the numbers that can prove my point.
I have already proven that Anet will compromise current game content and concepts.
I also don’t really care less what you think as well, so by that token at least we agree.

How have you proven it? A.Net has delivered their game as best as they could.

Often times, it is more a compromise on what can actually be done vs. what is wanted. Often times those situations are juxtaposed.

That is why, if you look at the developer’s blogs, many things are ongoing. They do try to make it right or as best as they can. Some items are hard, others not so hard – just depends.

You are right that was a mistype, what I meant to say was that Anet has already proven. I am just saying that sometimes they will change stuff that a minority of players are actually asking for the change and the majority just has to deal with the change after the fact. Then sometimes they make changes the majority is asking for and it is not exactly what was asked for as you say somethings may not be able to get implemented the original way its thought out. But a lot of times something gets changed that everyone agrees was needed that no one was really asking for at all. And ya gotta love the Secret Nerf’s, where changes happen and no one is told and you just stumble upon it as you are doing something you always do.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

It’s cute you don’t care less what I think. I guess you threw that in there just to make me feel bad? I will just go back to the fact that mounts aren’t needed and too much work to bother with. Ah, now I feel better.

OH I think I heard a flea fart … must mean it’s a good time for mounts. I jest. Everyone keep making non-compelling arguments for mounts. It’s working good.

Gummy.4278

It’s cute you don’t care less what I think. I guess you threw that in there just to make me feel bad? I will just go back to the fact that mounts aren’t needed and too much work to bother with. Ah, now I feel better.

OH I think I heard a flea fart … must mean it’s a good time for mounts. I jest. Everyone keep making non-compelling arguments for mounts. It’s working good.

nope not really, I just gave you back what you gave me. “I don’t really care what fancy buffs you think

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

However in my design ideas I did come up with a skill for the damage type mount that had a Charge! skill that gave a 50% speed buff to u and your party or the nearest allies for 2 or 3 seconds.

It is unnecessary to completely redesign the game for this to be implemented since it is already in the game.

Many professions can already grant a temporary speed boost to allies. If you wish to do this, the answer is simple..Play one of those professions, and use those skills.

it is ridiculous to expect Anet to redesign the game, because you don’t wish to play a profession, and use the skills that grant you what you want.

The skills are already in the game that do what you wish.

I believe that the guardian can grant a temporary speed boost to allies, and the elementalist. Maybe one of the hunter spirits, all the warrior banners.

I am sure there are others. We do not need mounted speed boost to provide you what the game has already implemented. If you don’t wish to avail yourself to what the game has already provided, then it sounds like a personal problem.

As to your " compromise" I for one, don’t seek compromise. See for players like me, the options are :

1. Mounted speed-boost
2. No mounted speed-boost.

Since we want what Anet is already providing … option 2. we do not need to compromise. You seem to feel you can say " well deep down i want 200 % speed Boost on a combat mount, so let’s compromise on a 50 % temporary speed boost combat mount?"

50 % is unbalanced. It is overpowered. Giving a Mount the ability to grant a 50 % speed boost however temporary will make those mounts mandatory. If you say you fail to understand why, that is being disingenuous.

you are overlooking that I am talking about a new area to be designed inside the Mist for mounted combat to play out. How can a skill that is only used inside this contained area be unbalancing and overpowering. Everyone in this area will be using some form of mount for a massive amount of the game play that will take place inside this area.

Because I don’t care ? I do not want mounts. Period. Ever. Anywhere.

I believe in a slippery slope. Get the foot in the door.

While you say you only want mounts In a contained area. I do Not want them anywhere. So the existence of mounts even in a contained area is too much for me. Next thing you know others will want them everywhere, and say " hey we have them in the Mists…what’s the big deal??? "

So No. No way, Nowhere, no how. Just No.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

(edited by Nerelith.7360)

Nerelith.7360

Gummy, the main difference is, I am Not asking Anet to change anything. You are the one asking for a re-design of the game , you are the one asking for them to turn their back on concepts that have served us fine for two years.

All without offering one compelling reason why it is beneficial for the game…

Does the game NEED this change? Explain….

All I hear is." this would be cool if it were in the game, and I want it." so yes, you are being selfish.

I on the other hand, am content with Anet’s decision to not provide speed-boost mounts.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

GW1 was completely re-designed into a completely different game. Its now GW2. …

So this whining for mounts is so they will be included in GW3? Fine, just leave them out of GW2.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

@Nerelith

And here you go again
Don’t you realize, that what you do is absolutely annoying and a kind of form of passive trolling kinda ???
You don’t need to repeat yourself and your exact same wording like every 1-2 postings again and again and again.
People aren’t stupid. We already understand your opinion more than enough after your first posting that explained exactly your wording that you keep on repeatign now for like 6 thread pages

You make your life yourself too easy with your disillusional analogy about us pro mounters basically saying out only

Its cool
We want it

We have far more reasonings behind our arguments, than just these 2 silly personal opinions.
Its not so that I don’t want to read what you have to say, but it kind of kittenes off to read basically everytime always from you only the same things.
It feels just like talking to a brick wall and now where I go concretely on onto your personal point of exception for that you would accept mounts, because it would allow you to keep on playing the game as you like, without beign disturbed by the mounts in the game through deactivating the visibility of players that use them – you completely ignore that argument thats based on your own personal compromise in my 10 step plan.

How should one take you still anymore serious, if you just ignore your own compromises?

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Nerelith.7360

@Nerelith

And here you go again
Don’t you realize, that what you do is absolutely annoying and a kind of form of passive trolling kinda ???
You don’t need to repeat yourself and your exact same wording like every 1-2 postings again and again and again.
People aren’t stupid. We already understand your opinion more than enough after your first posting that explained exactly your wording that you keep on repeatign now for like 6 thread pages

You make your life yourself too easy with your disillusional analogy about us pro mounters basically saying out only

Its cool
We want it

We have far more reasonings behind our arguments, than just these 2 silly personal opinions.
Its not so that I don’t want to read what you have to say, but it kind of kittenes off to read basically everytime always from you only the same things.
It feels just like talking to a brick wall and now where I go concretely on onto your personal point of exception for that you would accept mounts, because it would allow you to keep on playing the game as you like, without beign disturbed by the mounts in the game through deactivating the visibility of players that use them – you completely ignore that argument thats based on your own personal compromise in my 10 step plan.

How should one take you still anymore serious, if you just ignore your own compromises?

You keep saying you have other reasons, let’s hear them.

I have been here two years, and I have yet to hear a compelling argument for why adding mounts is either necessary, or beneficial to the game, that justifies it’s inclusion, in spite of player opposition to the very notion from one part of the playerbase…. and would be a worthwile use of developer time, energy, reources… that would then need to be pulled from other projects.

Let’s hear these compelling reasons.

Edit:

About Compromises, I changed my mind. No Mounts, No way, Never, no how. No..just …No. I am a woman, I reserve the right to be fickle, and change my mind.

You guys ask for an inch, get an inch, then ask for a mile, then want and demand 2 then 5 then 10.

Your idea of compromise is try to get us to meet you in the middle, then you back up… constantly moving the goal post, so that when before all you guys said you wanted was " cosmetics only" mounts… Now others are making even more odious demands.

First it was cosmetics only mounts, Now it’s speed-boost, mounted combat, 15 new skills in 3 sets of 5 per mount based On whether it is a support, control or damage mode… and a whole zone… Have you any idea How much work that would take? this is not a simple project you are demanding… Look…YOU say this is all you want. But I know others will just see it as a foot in the door, and make even MORE demands.

Nope… No mounts.

From your 10 step plan the only thing I noticed is, you wish to change this game into a completely different game. Maybe if you are not content with this game as it is, and need mounts, speed boost and mounted combat, you might wish to play another game that has speed boost mounts, and mounted combat?

Trying to be helpful. Off hand, I know WoW has speed Boost mounts, and flying mounts, ..i do not believe they have mounted combat though, but I am certain if you put 10 % of the energy that you put into demanding mounts here, you’ll have a fruitful search.

Lastly, I know I repeat myself mostly because it seems you have a hard time understanding.

Since YOU..want the developers to change the game…YOU have to provide compelling reasons for the game to be changed.

Since I… don’t want the game to be changed from what it is… since I want the status-quo, neither I, nor players that do not want mounts need to provide a single solitary argument against it.

All I need to say is:

" I am content with Anet’s continuing decision, to not provide speed boost mounts."

Orpheal.8263

Fine, everyone is free to change their minds, but it absolutely doesn’t make you look serious, if you change your mind within a conversation every now and then from A to B over C back to A, regardless if you are a man ,a woman or whatever :P

All I say is, you gave yourself the best solution for everyone. Its technologically easy to do your compromise, that would just help everyone and could easily end this whole discussion, if every person who wholeheartly dislikes mounts can put them just into invisibility mode under the culling of the game to never have to see any players on mounts beign completely undisturbed by them.

So your only REAL problem that you have with mounts is your personal problem with mounts requiring ressources, that YOU personally just want to see getting spent first in other areas of the game.
Thats an ok opinion, its understandable.
However, do you find then wasting ressources, time and effort for such unneccessary things like Super Adventure Box out of a sudden in comparison ok ??
Its also a complete side project that Anet made in the background, while other project teams were working on other things.

If I just take your reasons, you should be also totally against SAB, totally against Minipets, totally against everythign that just stands in the way of how YOU would like that Anet makes usage of their ressources and thats absolutely the point, where you start to become selfish.

I want first to stop your disillusional accusations about what I want, because you are all wrong here.
I said only, that I liked Gummys suggestion about Mounts, that doesn’t mean automatically that I want/need that. I just included it into my 10 Steps to take it up and show that way, that I liked Gummy’s idea.

If you would realize, that I’m flexible with my concepts, then you would have seen, that I removed also my thoughts of decreasing the amount of waypoints.

I see no reason, why Swiftness shouldn’t get improved for all classes, its not a combat related boon – it just increases only your movement speed and is basically a boon, thats 100% meant only for traveling.
—-

Don’t missunderstand me please, I want mounts, yes – but I also know too, that mounts require ressources ect. I can very well see where their priority stands currently.
I also too have things I’d like to see, that Anet should priorize first, before they should come up with Moutns as a feature, like:

• WvW Improvements (Commander System Rework, Class related WvW Skills, Map Redesigns to have 3 different Borderlands in the EotM Style with EotM Improvements, WvW Achievement Redesign)
  • Class Redesigns of the Thief and Ranger

That are for example 2 topics I’d personally like ANet to focus more on in the near future.
Mounts are for me a topic, which could get also implemented just in the next years, maybe with an Expansion.
If it means to wait another 2 years for Mounts, I’m willing to wait for them, if ANet uses that time to improve all the other things that are on high priority now.

Nerelith.7360

Fine, everyone is free to change their minds, but it absolutely doesn’t make you look serious, if you change your mind within a conversation every now and then from A to B over C back to A, regardless if you are a man ,a woman or whatever :P

As I said. I was willing to compromise My hard-line stance. But then… Ok.. let me give an analogy.

I am on the 40 yard line On a football field, and Gummy and you are on the 40 yard Line On the opposite side…..Now… meeting halfway, and seeking compromise I move forward a few yards…..

And gummy and you back up…3 yards…

I compromise and say " ok, but make it a toggle thing, so i need not see it. Even though I have misgivings… mainly, the penchant of some pro-mount advocates to be given a hand but then they want the entire frigging arm…"…..

His response is, that now he wants an entire zone, he wants speed-boost mounts, he wants 15 skills per mount… is that Just the same mount for everyone ..or are there 5 or 6 different mounts each with 15 different skills of their own? He wants 3 modes per mount…. with 5 skills each..he wants mounted combat.

How much work would have to be put into this? How many resources pulled from other more important projects? Then I realize that if I move forward another 3 yards, he will Just back up 3 yards…

or…other pro-mount players will just make even more extreme demands for mounts…

what is next? he already wants 50 % speed boost, and did you read his " 10 step plan"? to eliminate all speed generation through runes, sigils, and traits ?? thereby nerfing players that decide they do Not want speed boost mounts.

I think your plan is..that those that Buy speed boost mounts get a 50 % speed buff..that they can grant to others….but… Those that do not wish to buy a mount,….can by a gem shop item…. to give them speed boost..I think he said….15 % … for an hour… so we need to keep buying them.. but hey F*** fair… he wants his speed boost combat mount.

This is in effect NERFING, anyone that doesn’t want to buy a Mount.

Sorry, it is hard to take either of you seriously. So yes, I changed My mind.

No mounts, no way, nowhere, now how….just…no. I was perfectly willing to talk, as I said for me, the most important issues are preserving speed boost balancing per class.. so i thought…" add a mount to the already existing speed boost skills, and have it take a slot on the utility skills…. then make it toggle-able so those Not wishing to see mounts don’t need to. Aside from making it so the " speed boost mounted" animations do not look strange… Like someone flying 3 feet off the ground..or weird pairings Like ..a charr riding a chicken….

If Anet wanted to run it as a back-burner project…. so it doesn’t slow down necessary skill balancing, bug fixes, LS releases ( even though I am not Interested In LS)…I would have been fine with all that…as a compromise….

But both of you proved my worst fears…. some pro-mount players don’t want a compromise…they just want to lull us that do not want mounts Onto a slippery slope sliding ever more in their direction.

I can see it now… 185% speed boost ( already mentioned btw)…. flying mounts…. ( already mentioned)… eliminate 2/3rds of way-points so the world feels “bigger” but give us permanent speed boost…..( already mentioned) ..etc..etc…etc….

Sometimes when the other side gets ridiculous, you walk away from the bargaining table, until the other side recuperates their sanity.

The easiest way to deal with a door-to-door salesman that tries to put his foot in the door, to get in your house, is to slam the friggen door on the friigen foot.

The easiest solution to the whole Mount situation is to go with Anet’s position….

I continue to support, and agree with Anet’s consistent decision to not provide speed boost mounts…..

Nerelith.7360

I am sorry if I ascribed some of Orpheal’s ideas to Gummy. Orpheal’s ideas were to me a Bit extreme.

As to Not wanting mounts, that means I also did Not want SAB, fact is, I do not like mounts In this game.

it’s Not about SAB it’s about Mounts. I do not want them. Plain and simple.

Anet doesn’t provide them, and I am perfectly content with that.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

It seems odd to me that someone would go from words of wisdom such as these…

…Many will say " this is not the game for you." And maybe they may be right. But Anet has shown that they are not above changing direction…

…It may be the execution may be off, but if i remember something about Anet it is, they do not have a problem saying to themselves." Maybe we can do this in a new way, a better way."

So is the game as it is, the game I might wish it to be? No. But does that means I have given up

But Just because you are happy with the way it is now, doesn’t mean that those of us that expect better, should stop advocating for changes we would like to see…

…Now since I paid for this game as much as you, I feel i have a right to advocate for what i would like the game to become, so no..I won’t Just " let the door hit me on the way out." :-)

I do not care what you do or do not have a problem with. Your opinion isn’t that important to me.
As a buyer of the game I will express Myself as I see fit, if you like it great, if not, well, not much to be said about that. It just seems to me that you seem to feel that you need to defend the game

…To telling people that if they don’t like the current implementation of something in game they should look into going elsewhere.

Also:

Whether or not an argument is compelling is subjective. The fact that one person does not find something compelling does not mean that it is not compelling to someone else.

Personally I do not think that there is a much more compelling reason to supply something than demand for that thing. People want to buy a product, the company wants their money. Of course that must be balanced against cost of production, opportunity costs, etc. Only Anet has those numbers and they have added mounts/mount-like options to the game over the course of its lifespan. They have never, that I am aware of, said that mounts are not an option. So there is tangible evidence of their willingness but none of unwillingness (again that I have seen, if someone can provide a quote or link I will stand corrected).

You have commented on the lack of balance in this game previously, don’t you think it might be a bit off to claim that speed buffs inherent to classes,which you have stated are not balanced properly, make the addition of mount based speed buffs inappropriate?

To pro-mount posters: Nerelith has a point. You might want to consider posting about how much you would be willing to pay. A Decision to include more mounts is likely going to be made based on predictions on revenue generation vs cost. “I want X and am willing to pay Y,” seems much more likely to benefit your position than, “I want X.”

Posted by: Leo.2641

Leo.2641

Mounts for all Class Profession, just some ideas here, necro with a wurm, warrior with a horse, guardian with a celestial shape, engineer with a some sorta looking mechanical car, thief with a some type of bird, like I said just some idea and each type of mount will be design toward the race as well so it goes with it. BUFF wise why are we arguing about that let ANET decide on the buff but get the RACE MOUNT implanted first

Dusty Moon.4382

Mounts for all Class Profession, just some ideas here, necro with a wurm, warrior with a horse, guardian with a celestial shape, engineer with a some sorta looking mechanical car, thief with a some type of bird, like I said just some idea and each type of mount will be design toward the race as well so it goes with it. BUFF wise why are we arguing about that let ANET decide on the buff but get the RACE MOUNT implanted first

Game doesn’t need mounts period. There is nothing that has been stated by the ‘Pro Mount’ players that make them useful or even wanted in this game.

I have seen the attitude in many other games, that once something is added that a portion of the players don’t want, The players that pushed for the item, start pushing for the next iteration of the item. It is a slippery slope. A.net doesn’t allow macros – except for one Key – one action which basically makes Macros useless. They also posted that they do not want to have one player having an advantage over another player. Speed Boosts, from the various professions are not that as they make the player choose them over some other skill/traits that could be used. Mounts could be used as that advantage and I don not think A.Net will go down that slippery slope.

Leo.2641

Game doesn’t need mounts period. There is nothing that has been stated by the ‘Pro Mount’ players that make them useful or even wanted in this game.

I have seen the attitude in many other games, that once something is added that a portion of the players don’t want, The players that pushed for the item, start pushing for the next iteration of the item. It is a slippery slope. A.net doesn’t allow macros – except for one Key – one action which basically makes Macros useless. They also posted that they do not want to have one player having an advantage over another player. Speed Boosts, from the various professions are not that as they make the player choose them over some other skill/traits that could be used. Mounts could be used as that advantage and I don not think A.Net will go down that slippery slope.

Again you assume and speaking for A. Net let them decided what buff will go on the mounts.

Orpheal.8263

I think that its overexaggerating to think of Gummy’s idea, that ANet should do for mounts 1 different version per mode. 1 Mount, that is able to change its combat style while outside of battle is simple enough than to make 3 different mounts.
However, Mounted Combat is something, that absolutely must not get instantly added together with Mounts, MC is a complete different thing, than Mounts themself, two completely different pairs of shoes.

You are misleading currently Gummy with me, I was the one with the 10 Step Plan, not Gummy, but this plan I made up there is nothing set in stone.
As said, I’m flexible about my concepts, I made up Step 2 basically only, because I think that stuff would be wasted obsolete junk, if it would stay when Mounts would get added with permanent 25% and that as a compensation would be improving all Class Options for Swiftness and improving that Speed Booster more than enough.
However, Step 2 can also be erased, if people miss so much their runes, sigils and traits and like this unfair game design, where half of the classes has an innate option for permanent 25% faster running, while the other half has not. Thats where I changed my mind now.

In the end I can talk only for myself and not for any other pro Mounter here.
For me its just enough that Mounts get a Speed Boost, that ranges between 25 and temporary 33%, nothing else above that, I’d be also against any higher numbers, because the only thign that should be definetely faster should be Thieves in stealth with their traited +50% speed while beign in stealth.
For me it’s enough when Mounts get implemented without Mounted Combat first, because MC is a completely different game mechanic, than just only Mounts.

I could also live with it easily, if we get to see them in around another 2 years and not earlier, because the game has yet so many things, where it could get improved, where I also would give Mounts much lower priority. My last mentioned things are just only a tiny top of the huge iceberg of improvements that GW2 could seriously need in many areas of the game from WvW over PvE to PvP is everywhere large unused potential.

We aren’t here in a door to door sales conversation Nerelith.
We just try to discuss over an idea. To a discussion belong 2 and if you ever want to find a solution in a discussion with two completely hardlined frontlines, both sides need somewhere to cooperate and make compromises.

I see to put Mounts into Invisibility as the most easiest way to make just both sides happy.
You know, theres a simple saying that is said on English this way:
If it doesn’t fit, use a bigger hammer!

ANet here, is the Engineer with all the Tools in their hands that they need to make Mounts fit into the game and they have definetely the biggest hammers of all of us.
Theres nothing, that is impossible not to customize, until Mounts fit for all.

• Mount Invisibility being the biggest tool
  • Mount Gameplay Area Limitation the next biggest one (No Mounts in Towns, PvP Lobby)
  • Feature Limitation comes next (No Speed Boosts higher than 33%)

What do you want more, until you finally say, this way I can accept Mounts and play the game just further, like I do now, without being disturbed by Mounts?

There’s left over only the concern of Mounts costing time, ressources and effort (everythign does, not just mounts only, thats clear), that any Anti-Mount people just want to see being put first in other things, like Bug Fixes, Class Balancing.

Bug Fixes happen with every patch, most of them are Stealth Fixes that aren’t mentioned in the Patch Notes, unless it was a bigger Bug Fix of something game breaking or so that was considered being a major bug that needs definetely to be said, that it got fixed to inform all players about it being fixed.
Class Balancing will come soon again one this year, I guess after Season 2.

Anet stopped also after the first year to make too early previews of what will come in the future to the point, that we will receive infos about new features in the last time only, when its dead sure, that these things will find also their way into the game.
The reason for this can we see in what happenend here, after Anet didn implemented Precursor Crafting/Scavenger Hunts and new legendary weapons back in the year 2013 and didnt do that until today

Dusty Moon.4382

Again you assume and speaking for A. Net let them decided what buff will go on the mounts.

A.Net already stated this game was not designed for mounts. Isn’t that enough?

That was pointed in in one of the many other threads the pro-mount people put up. It was information that was ignored by them. If A.Net wanted mounts in the game, they would have been in from the beginning not 2 yrs. down the road when it would take more work to put mounts than to make an expansion or another Race/Profession.

(edited by Dusty Moon.4382)

Leo.2641

That was pointed in in one of the many other threads the pro-mount people put up. It was information that was ignored by them. If A.Net wanted mounts in the game, they would have been in from the beginning not 2 yrs. down the road when it would take more work to put mounts than to make an expansion or another Race/Profession.

No your right but your wrong on some things about A.Net. again you are speaking through your opinion for them. The race/mount was just an idea. but Mounts in general whenever if it has buff or not already exist in the game. I or some other as well is asking for more type of mounts in the game. Because after all this is a cosmetic games correct and we can all agree that everybody wants to be different. For the people that says if they implanted the mounts and saying that you are too poor to afford gem or don’t have the time to get a mount depending how A.Net is going to let say sale them for a limited time we can also argue about how everybody doesn’t have a certain skin or legendary. Again the system is already there, cosmetic wise needs more different options.

Nerelith.7360

It seems odd to me that someone would go from words of wisdom such as these…

…Many will say " this is not the game for you." And maybe they may be right. But Anet has shown that they are not above changing direction…

…It may be the execution may be off, but if i remember something about Anet it is, they do not have a problem saying to themselves." Maybe we can do this in a new way, a better way."

So is the game as it is, the game I might wish it to be? No. But does that means I have given up

But Just because you are happy with the way it is now, doesn’t mean that those of us that expect better, should stop advocating for changes we would like to see…

…Now since I paid for this game as much as you, I feel i have a right to advocate for what i would like the game to become, so no..I won’t Just " let the door hit me on the way out." :-)

I do not care what you do or do not have a problem with. Your opinion isn’t that important to me.
As a buyer of the game I will express Myself as I see fit, if you like it great, if not, well, not much to be said about that. It just seems to me that you seem to feel that you need to defend the game

…To telling people that if they don’t like the current implementation of something in game they should look into going elsewhere.

Also:

Whether or not an argument is compelling is subjective. The fact that one person does not find something compelling does not mean that it is not compelling to someone else.

Personally I do not think that there is a much more compelling reason to supply something than demand for that thing. People want to buy a product, the company wants their money. Of course that must be balanced against cost of production, opportunity costs, etc. Only Anet has those numbers and they have added mounts/mount-like options to the game over the course of its lifespan. They have never, that I am aware of, said that mounts are not an option. So there is tangible evidence of their willingness but none of unwillingness (again that I have seen, if someone can provide a quote or link I will stand corrected).

You have commented on the lack of balance in this game previously, don’t you think it might be a bit off to claim that speed buffs inherent to classes,which you have stated are not balanced properly, make the addition of mount based speed buffs inappropriate?

To pro-mount posters: Nerelith has a point. You might want to consider posting about how much you would be willing to pay. A Decision to include more mounts is likely going to be made based on predictions on revenue generation vs cost. “I want X and am willing to pay Y,” seems much more likely to benefit your position than, “I want X.”

You may be misunderstanding what I mean by " maybe this is not the game for you"

When a person advocates for something." I think this game could use mounts" and provides compelling reasons. Then rhey can be engaged in discussion and conversation about such.

I have yet to see anyone provide compelling reasons. What I do see a lot of is.." wouldn’t this be cool? wouldn’t that be cool? I want that in this game."

And even THAT is not an issue for me.

But:

When players start suggesting large scale changes to the game… to make speed boost mounts viable. When they ignore reasons provided by the players that do not wish them, or do not in any way deal with the fact that the changes they propose are extensive, and costly, and would use up resources that would be best used elsewhere….

When they basically say " I want speed – boost mounts to be relevant to Gw2, so here are changes I propose to gw2…. that even if they negatively impact everyone else, would make speed-boost mounts relevant..and more fun for me……."

This is when I say " It seems you do not wish to play Gw2, you wish to turn gw2 into another game. As such, maybe yoiu might enjoy playing a game that does offer speed boost mounts?"

They want drastic changes to gw2 to make speed boost mounts relevant. Then they do Not provide any compelling reasons for the changes, Just

1. it would be cool.

and

2. I like them.

I asked Gummy " you said you have more reasonings ( his word not mine ) what are they?"

I am still looking for compelling reasons, and I still do not see any. I do see distraction, after distraction, after distraction…. that takes attention away from the fact that after 2 years, no compelling reasons have been offered to show that speed boost mounts would either benefit the game or be worth the time, energy and resources needed to bring them into the game.

As for me:

I am content with Anet’s decision to not provide speed-boost mounts.

Nerelith.7360

No your right but your wrong on some things about A.Net. again you are speaking through your opinion for them. The race/mount was just an idea. but Mounts in general whenever if it has buff or not already exist in the game. I or some other as well is asking for more type of mounts in the game. Because after all this is a cosmetic games correct and we can all agree that everybody wants to be different. For the people that says if they implanted the mounts and saying that you are too poor to afford gem or don’t have the time to get a mount depending how A.Net is going to let say sale them for a limited time we can also argue about how everybody doesn’t have a certain skin or legendary. Again the system is already there, cosmetic wise needs more different options.

It is Not about poverty. That is not the issue, that is a strawman. The thing is, there are better things for Anet to devote resources too, and they have alreasy said this game is not designed for mounts. To provide mounts they would have to redesign systems that have been in operation, and evolving for 2 years, that the rest of the player base is fine with…to provide something of dubious benefit at most for one particular demographic.

There are a multitude of reasons already provided by those of us that do not want mounts in this game.

Know what I have not seen? One single compelling reason proposed by the other side. I have seen

1. It would be cool. (debatable)
  2. I want it. ( sounds personal)

and

1. why not?

None of those are compelling reasons FOR mounts.

Maybe None are provided because there aren’t any?

No.." demand for mounts" is Not a compelling reason for why they would be beneficial to the game, and worth the resources for their implementation. Demand for mounts is just a fancier way to say " I want it."

These reasons have been tossed out for 2 years. And Anet has not been compelled. You need to do better.

Provide compelling reasons for why mounts would be beneficial, …More beneficial than bug fixes, more beneficial than broken skills…more beneficial than bugged traits.

Posted by: stobie.2134

stobie.2134

What’s the point of telling someone they shouldn’t want what they want? (and being so mean about it doesn’t help) What’s so bad about reminding ANet that some people wish the game had mounts? You’d think the OP cursed someone’s family by the suggestion!

If they had mounts, I’d be happy about it. I’d think ANet would be happy, too, since it’s an obvious source of more, mostly cosmetic $$$.

If they don’t add them – and I expect they will not – I wouldn’t be upset, since there was never any indication they intended to add mounts. But wow – hostility!

Dusty Moon.4382

It is NOT MY OPINION – it was stated by A.Net. If you actually read the posts, I didn’t say it was my opinion. My opinion of mounts is that they are a total waste of everything – space, resources, etc.

The mounts in the game currently are for looks (broom and drill), except the ones in WvW which are situational and you become the mount, you have no skills other than the mount’s skills. You cannot take them any other place expect that zone, therefore they are totally war related situational.

The above mounts ARE NOT the same as what y’all are talking about. Just because there is situational war ones, does not mean there will be others put in the game. These situational mounts are slower than a player RP walking and they have no defense related skills what so ever. They are also easy to destroy.

Please read WIKI, run by A.Net – in the FAQ section

“Will there be mounts?
No. For traveling long distance, the game will offer the two types of teleports above (waypoints and asura gates), but the game does not have any other methods, i.e. there are no mounts or ships.”

Nerelith.7360

What’s the point of telling someone they shouldn’t want what they want? (and being so mean about it doesn’t help) What’s so bad about reminding ANet that some people wish the game had mounts? You’d think the OP cursed someone’s family by the suggestion!

If they had mounts, I’d be happy about it. I’d think ANet would be happy, too, since it’s an obvious source of more, most cosmetic $$$.

If they don’t add them – and I expect they will not – I wouldn’t be upset, since there was never any indication they intended to add mounts. But wow – hostility!

You misunderstand. I am Not telling people that should not want what they want. If anything I am trying to actually help them.

There is nothing wrong with saying " I want speed boost mounts." But isn’t it better to say " I think speed-boost mounts would be a benefit to this game, and make a great addition to it, and here is why… aside from the coolness factor…. if we had speed-boost on mounts…. then ( a compelling reason should be typed in here)."

As long as they Just repeat " I like them, they are cool, I want them." and try to keep those of us NOT wanting them on the defensive, there can be no discourse.

Anet will peek in here… they will see that The Anti side provides reasons against, even when we need provide NO other reason than.." We agree with Anet that they should not provide speed-boost mounts"

They see that the pro side does not provide any reasons at all..just distractions to take attention away from the fact that they are not providing reasons…. repeating " it would be cool, give them to me." and … tearing down the reasons provided by the anti-mount side.

If there are valid compelling reasons from those pro-mount I wish they would provide them, so we can have a real discussion instead of different iterations of

It would be cool
I want it.
why not?
You haven’t given good reasons against ( we do not need any..a simple.." No thanks, I agree with anet’s position" is enough. )

You are being mean not letting us have them.

None of these are compelling reasons.

And Anet will see that the player-base is very drastically divided over this. To please one, kittenes off the other.

You also said that selling cosmetics mounts would be a source of revenue, but it comes with a cost of instant Hostility from the player base. They can get just as much revenue by providing armor, and weapon skins without a major investment of time, energy and resources to do a major redesign of the game for their inclusion, for a product with dubious benefit….without any hostility from anyone. if they want more revenue, they don’t need to sell mounts, Just more armor skins. ( This was actually quite ingenious…" it would be cool, I want it" disguised as a reason. but still “It would be cool. I want it.” since Anet doesn’t need Mounts to raise revenue.)

They can choose to implement mounts which would be a major Investment of time, energy and resources… and kitten off a Large group of players .

They can choose to do nothing. Which is cheaper.

Barring the pro-mount side providing compelling reasons for their inclusion… doing nothing seems to be the best bet, with the best return on investment. since Investment = 0.

Leo.2641

If you cant take criticize your loss that mine, anyways again the mount system is already implanted into the game. GW2 already have mount in the game you are the one that saying this and that. How can a person that is against mount tell someone who is for it what they WANT. Exactly you can’t it is insane. This is a cosmetic game so add more cosmetic to the game, which is skin, armor, MOUNTS and so on.

Nerelith.7360

If you cant take criticize your loss that mine, anyways again the mount system is already implanted into the game. GW2 already have mount in the game you are the one that saying this and that. How can a person that is against mount tell someone who is for it what they WANT. Exactly you can’t it is insane. This is a cosmetic game so add more cosmetic to the game, which is skin, armor, MOUNTS and so on.

corrected your post for you. If the mounts are already in the game. Use them, and be content. How can I tell someone I know what they want? I Listen to them. They tell me what they want by what comes out of their mouth.

Speed-boost mounts
Combat mounts

Doesn’t take a psychic.

It’s getting hard to take you seriously.

Leo.2641

This topic is about a simple question with an simple answer. I am not asking about your opinion about it, I don’t care or don’t want to know your REASON for it or against it. All that I am asking is a Yay for mounts in GW2 or Nay for mounts in GW2

Mounts for GW2?

Leo.2641

Yay for mounts in GW2

Leo.2641

pretty sure you forgot the focus of this game here let me spell it out for you COSMETIC

Dusty Moon.4382

pretty sure you forgot the focus of this game here let me spell it out for you COSMETIC

But the cosmetic player would not like the amount of flaws that mounts would bring into the game. Think about that – the clipping would be horrendous for sure and many are already bad.

Nerelith.7360

Cosmetics is Not a compelling argument for a major redesign of the game to provide speed-boost mounts… especially when Anet has already stated that this game was not designed with mounts in mind.

There are already plenty of Cosmetics in the game… armor skins, and weapon skins..Tonics.. backpacks… None of that needs a major redesign of the game.

We do Not need mounts to have cosmetics, we can have cosmetics without mounts.

Provide compelling reasons for mounts.

Leo.2641

But the cosmetic player would not like the amount of flaws that mounts would bring into the game. Think about that – the clipping would be horrendous for sure and many are already bad.

SINCE gw2 was release, Charr armor always had clipping, I am pretty sure that clipping isn’t a valid counter argument because it has been what almost 2 year and they haven’t fix it

Dusty Moon.4382

again you are just a troll and you have no valid argument and when somebody present a valid agreement towards your counter argument you feel like your getting attack because for some reason you cant accept the fact that you are wrong here, you tent resort to the childish games.

They haven’t fixed any armor clipping in GW1 either. But, that is not the point. People who want mounts are vain and if there armor doesn’t look good , A.Net will never hear the end of it.

If you ACTAULLY had a compelling reason other than a 2 yr old having a temper tantrum, “I WANT MOUNTS” then have at it. Currently, there has been NO valid reason for and many valid reasons against mounts.

Also is the fact that A.Net has already said, no mounts in game as that is what the Asuran Portals and the Map Portals are for.

Leo.2641

Again copy and paste all you like for your respond your counter claim has no points you provide me with a good counter claim why we should have mounts. if your argument goes with buff, because YOU don’t like, or don’t WANT, clipping, redesign, then it is not valid for you to counter a claim for more mounts in the game, when their is already a system for mounts implanted into the game.

Leo.2641

again you are just a troll and you have no valid argument and when somebody present a valid agreement towards your counter argument you feel like your getting attack because for some reason you cant accept the fact that you are wrong here, you tent resort to the childish games.

If you ACTAULLY had a compelling reason other than a 2 yr old having a temper tantrum, “I WANT MOUNTS” then have at it. Currently, there has been NO valid reason for and many valid reasons against mounts.

Also is the fact that A.Net has already said, no mounts in game as that is what the Asuran Portals and the Map Portals are for.

again ur taking that post out of context if was a replied to a person of why they don’t respond with a want statement.

Nerelith.7360

I see the irony escapes you.

We do not need arguments against speed boost mounts, we just need to say :

“we are content with the game as it is, we are content with Anet’s continued decision to not provide speed boost mounts.”

You want change you need to provide compelling reasons, if the reasons you provide can be shot down because the mechanics you want are already there, or because the extras that come with mounts would Not be worth the time, energy or resources… or are already there, then your reason is not compelling.

Cosmetics is not compelling because we can already have cosmetics without adding a single speed boost mount.

Revenue enhancement from the sale of mounts is also not compelling because we already have items we can sell to generate revenue, that would not require the time, the energy or the resources that would need to be put into this, and away from other aspects of the game.

They can sell an armor skin, a weapon skin, a make-over kit. And Boom… REVENUE.

Once again,… where are your compelling reasons?

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Let’s take a poll, whether it’s not scientific or not.
http://strawpoll.me/2312877

Leo.2641

no sir where are your compelling valid reason stay in topic

Leo.2641

couldn’t a simple yes or no will be enough? then work from their?

Nerelith.7360

Let’s Not and say we did. This is Not about how many of the 3 % of the playerbase that bothers to Post on the forums favors speed-boost mounts or not.

we are not indicative of the opinions of the 97 % that play the game as if the forums did not exist.

What the pro-mount side needs is to provide compelling reasons. And what the anti-mount side needs is to not allow the pro-mount side to distract attention away from the fact that they are not providing compelling arguments for their proposition.

We have yet to see compelling arguments. Just distractions.

Nerelith.7360

Nope… see above.

Leo.2641

Nope… see above.

Then this just prove the case FOR it
CASE CLOSED

Nerelith.7360

Nope… see above.

Then this just prove the case FOR it
CASE CLOSED

What it proves is that you cannot provide a compelling argument for mounts that isn’t just a re-iteration of

It’s cool
I want it.

or

why not?

Make a compelling argument for mounts and we will discuss. This is Just a distraction.

Leo.2641

because a simple vote, will give us the result pretty much about anything correct?

Nerelith.7360

because a simple vote, will give us the result pretty much about anything correct?

Not when the people polled are not proven to be representative of the whole.

Again, where are your compelling reasons for why mounts would be beneficial to the game, that are not iterations of :

It would be cool.
I want it

or

why not?