Super Adventure Box [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: hendusoone.3504

hendusoone.3504

Bring back SAB. At least give us access to worlds 1 and 2. If you have no plans to expand it further now, fine… just give us access to what is already done!

Posted by: AlexEBT.7240

AlexEBT.7240

Does Anet even have a PR department?

Have you seen their marketing at Gamescom 2014? Shudder if you did you would have known the answer.

Posted by: Dehuang.2053

Dehuang.2053

This has got to be the most depressing news from Anet so far. A 20 minutes long interview to say that all the things we WANT and would LOVE to have will not come anytime soon.

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Yeah, they seriously could not have made less sense with the response.. I don’t know why they keep harping on how “successful” they think the Living Story is. If they are talking about metric that show how many people play it, that’s ridiculous. Of course people are going to play NEW content that has encounters & rewards. That has to be the dumbest way to determine how “great” the LS is. The characters & writing are constantly getting hammered by players about how irritating & dumb they are but the content is new & it’s the only non-pay method by which we can get new rewards. If every LS update was just another Dungeon path with a new rewards, achievements & no story, you’d have the same # of people playing that. It doesn’t mean that people love sitting through cringe-worthy dialog. And forcing people to replay it for achievements it only going to further reinforce the delusion that the Living Story is the best way to release content.

And SAB “doesn’t easily fit into the narrative structure of Living World”? Are you kidding me? Did it ever fit into the “narrative structure” of anything? I’m sorry, but the “narrative structure” is the worst part of the LS! The maps & art are great, the mechanics are cool, but the story & characters are the weakest point! The last thing Anet should be doing is making sure that the only new content that is made “easily fits into” the worst aspect of the game.

Anet, no, your new characters aren’t “awesome”. I can stand Rox & Brahm on my team, but the rest are like nails on a chalkboard. I sit through the content because I get rewards & achievements.. but this “Story” is not even close to what many ppl enjoyed about GW. & focusing more on the LS than on things like Tengu & SAB & dungeons is not, I think, what a majority of people wanted to see. To think that SAB had by far the best reaction to any content you’re released & that Scarlet has had by far the worst reaction, and that you concluded “yeah, lets stick with Scarlett”… i don’t know. Either this decision is based totally on monetary stats, personal bias or the fact that you’re confusing players going after rewards with players loving the story. But I can’t believe it’s what you think people really want.

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

It is a shame. Even if they never intend to update it, keeping just worlds one and two would add to the variety of the game. SAB was praised across so many quarters, why wouldnt you want to keep something popular and different? Those who didnt like it, could just ignore it.

I understand the emphasis on core content entirely. Not keeping as a permanent fixture after this announcement seems unduly contrary to me. Plenty of unpopular mini games are still in the game after all…

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

You can always just go play something similar…like Super Mario Brothers.

You think GW2 devs are bad? It’s been almost 30 years and they still have fixed that +99 free lives turtle-jumpin glitch.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: summourn.4982

summourn.4982

I’m also intensely disappointed by what I heard in this interview. GW2 is a wonderful game that I’ve enjoyed for two years now, (and more if you include beta,) but SAB was my favorite content I’ve ever done in any online game. I loved every bit of it. The guild my best friends and I created and still maintain is even called Super Adventure Friends, partially in its honor.

Aside from heartbroken, I’m just confused about this unfortunate news. I don’t recall any other old content that periodically and consistently received so many forum requests to be brought back. Each time I browsed the forums, there was always a thread or two lurking about asking with hope if SAB was returning soon. It is simply odd to me that such a highly requested and sincerely beloved feature would be put on indefinite hold without access.

If new content for the SAB isn’t going to be added, why can’t we have the current worlds added back in? It’s not interfering with the living story or lore of the world, it’s hidden away in a single blue cube in a corner of Rata Sum. I don’t understand why what is already there cannot be added back in to the game at least? Why keep one of the most requested features simply inaccessible? I don’t see the logic.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Here’s a guess that fits with a lot of Anet’s behavior:

Someone at or near the top of Anet’s hierarchy has tunnel vision and judges success or failure using metrics from (only) the LS. Those who wish to keep their jobs have incentive to pump up LS metrics as high as possible, regardless of how it affects the game. One easy way to do this: do not work on or release content that are not LS related.

Posted by: Scipio.3204

Scipio.3204

I’m here to join the voice:
Last time I purchased gem with RL money was back in september to buy an infinite coin, not because I needed it,but because I wanted to show my support for the devs who made SAB . ( In the end it was cool to have because of tribulation mode, that was the last time me and my buddies had so much fun we laughed our bottom off.) And now I hear they are gonna stop making SAB because of living story? Like people didn’t hate LS alrdy….

and a Fun Fact: SAB had more exclusive skin than WvW or PvP got in the last 2 year.
(and had the most new weapon skins added to the game in one place except gem store ofc.) Correct me if I’m wrong.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Here’s a guess that fits with a lot of Anet’s behavior:

Someone at or near the top of Anet’s hierarchy has tunnel vision and judges success or failure using metrics from (only) the LS. Those who wish to keep their jobs have incentive to pump up LS metrics as high as possible, regardless of how it affects the game. One easy way to do this: do not work on or release content that are not LS related.

I was thinking something along the same lines. If there’s a distraction that might draw people away from the LS, then the LS numbers suffer and it makes them look bad. It doesn’t matter if more people are having fun, their numbers don’t show that.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Don’t be ridiculous – you bought it when World 1 and 2 were the only ones out, with no promises made about future release of next worlds. SAB isn’t boxed (sic) yet, they’re just saying it’s not fitting in with Living World.

But after S2 there’ll surely be a break before S3, which could be a likely spot for SAB to return, don’t you think? If not then, then later.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Let’s do it! Let’s all rush the support team with asks for a refund and see what they do!

You can’t hear roars of laughter via email…..(and they can automate a NO response rather easily).

Besides, unless the coin was NEVER used (I kind of doubt that), you already got you money out of it. Trying to throw a collective tantrum to get some content returned is not likely to change their plans.

I still had (and have) plenty of normal coins left when I bought the coin. I bought it to show my support for SAB and now this is my thanks…. Not for that crazy mode (didn’t have a lot of time to play last year….)

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

I sent a ticket too.

SAB is all I wanted and its been a full YEAR now and nothing, and I don’t agree with that decision.

Posted by: TDWIG.9712

TDWIG.9712

SAB is absolutely my favorite content that was added to this game. I’m disappointed in what was said in this interview. Guess this infinite continue coin was for nothing.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

SAB <<< Taimi being ’super annoying, arrogant Asura #5955237421 and Kas and Marg spending every single ounce of dialogue making sure we all know they are a couple?

kitten’n A…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Stormdancer.4972

Stormdancer.4972

Their response made absolutely no sense to me. Just turn the darn thing back on, and let people lay it or not, as they like.

Maybe if they actually visibly provably CARED about immersion, instead of just talking about it, I could believe them.

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

I think they could release SAB between seasons like feature patch or similar stuff.

Simple option.

Posted by: Chipsnsalsa.2714

Chipsnsalsa.2714

Incredibly disappointed with this. Doing Tribulation mode with my friends is, by far, the most fun I’ve had in the game. I can understand that a bunch of scrubs had trouble with World 2 before they nerfed it, but I loved it.

It kind of amazes me that compelling, fun content like SAB gets the axe, but the current living story is deemed a success. If their idea of fun is replaying a story instance over and over for achievements, and being forced to listen to the character dialogue each time, maybe it’s time to take a break.

Posted by: nicknamenick.2437

nicknamenick.2437

i didnt care about that..

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

My heart just broke, Im in tears right now.

Please turn it back On, let us keep it.

I am losing hope in anet more and more everyday, ive play gw1 for 8yrs, Im with gw2, but Im just about ready to give up on one of the most important things in my life.

Anet your losing it, for everyone 1 good thing you do, your doing 3-4 bad things with it.

SAB or RIOT

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Well that sucks, I was hoping for a return to the SAB soon and I personally couldn’t care less about how it fits in with the Living World’s narrative. If they restrict themselves to only doing what fits in with the Living World’s narrative I think there are going to be a lot of very bored people (those who don’t care for that narrative).

Edit: also, I want my underwater SAB weapons, I use them as my Asuran “cultural” weapons.

(edited by Pifil.5193)

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

What dreadful business < SAB.

Mordremoth < SAB.

Mawdrey < SAB.

Something completely different? WVW.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

Besides, unless the coin was NEVER used (I kind of doubt that), you already got you money out of it. Trying to throw a collective tantrum to get some content returned is not likely to change their plans.

How exactly is “more than never” the equivalent of getting money out of an “infinite” continue coin? It isn’t a tantrum. When the coin was on sale, we were told that worlds three and four would come. At the very least, it was reasonable to expect we’d be able to play worlds one and two regularly (six months seemed reasonable based on the window between one and two, a year given the back to school theme).

I agree that these should be refunded if SAB is never coming back. They really should just turn worlds one and two on permanently though.

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

Heck if Blizz can refund pre-orders of WoD in WoW because of no flight, I am sure Anet can refund $10 for a coin that people cannot use !

Unless they would relish the really bad press they could get when annoyed players stop posting here and start posting on forums they do not control, like G4 and IGN where publicity will get out and GW2 will not gain any new players ..

Sometimes negative press is not such a good thing ……..

Posted by: rhael.6317

rhael.6317

I also bought an Infinite Coin to show support for SAB and to play the hell out of it when it existed. Not bringing back SAB in any form would be really a poor move on the product roadmap.

Leafy Lemon of Unrepentant [Uey]
Stormbluff Isle Megaserver, PvX, US
www.unrepentantgaming.com

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

It is rather interesting to see some people here that I seem to recall complaining about SAB and talking about how it didn’t fit in GW2 now complaining about the (apparent) “permanent” closure of said thing.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Gummy.4278

Gummy.4278

Instead of locking us out all the time allow us some form of currency that we can pay Moto to play anytime we want in the old worlds already completed. For example for 5 laurels you could buy an “SAB all day play coin”. Also even though I did not buy one from the Gem store anyone who did get the Infinite Continue Coin allow them all day access once per week.

If the problem is that you want the skin purchases limited to the timed events turn off all purchases during “all day play”. You can have the fun and work on achievements but limit the skins to actually when SAB is open.

Substance E.4852

It is rather interesting to see some people here that I seem to recall complaining about SAB and talking about how it didn’t fit in GW2 now complaining about the (apparent) “permanent” closure of said thing.

People are capable of more than one opinion of something. A concept entirely foreign to some people apparently…

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Hello all,

I sent in a ticket and the support person said the issue would require a bit of additional investigation. The person escalated my ticket for further asisstance.

So they didn’t dismiss it immediately for sure, so I’ll report back here when I have a final answer.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

People are capable of more than one opinion of something. A concept entirely foreign to some people apparently…

Of course. It is rather unusual for said opinions to be exactly opposite each other though. Don’t you think?

The fact remains that there are people on these forums that complain about everything, even if it was something they earlier on demanded to be done. Simply for the sake of complaining.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: VincentDW.9376

VincentDW.9376

Seems like the only logical course of action is to reactivate the old SAB content. This way, everyone wins:

1) People who like the SAB can play in it.
2) People who purchased the infinite coin would have no basis for requesting refunds, as it would still be usable.
3) No further development on it is required, and those resources can continue to be allocated wherever else they are needed.
4) Even for those who don’t care to play in it, having the SAB in the game makes it larger, and more content in general means more things for people to do, which keeps the game populated.

The alternative is letting countless hours of development energy go to waste and angering some portion (no idea how big) of the user base. Seems pretty obvious to me which is the better choice.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, let’s hope for those that are refunded, they don’t bring it back when SAB is active for twice the price.

Substance E.4852

Of course. It is rather unusual for said opinions to be exactly opposite each other though. Don’t you think?

The fact remains that there are people on these forums that complain about everything, even if it was something they earlier on demanded to be done. Simply for the sake of complaining.

- ~6 months isn’t enough time to change one’s mind or to come to the conclusion that “yes, it’s immersion breaking but better than not having it at all”? I’d ask how much time is enough time though I suspect I’d be chasing an ever shifting goal line.

- Just as there are people who complain about people complaining or having an opinion that isn’t theirs, simply for the sake of complaining.

(edited by Substance E.4852)

Posted by: VincentDW.9376

VincentDW.9376

Thanks for investigating this issue, please continue to keep us posted about what customer service has to say on the topic.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

First, see Phys’ earlier post. Secondly, that’s not terribly relevant in the least.

Posted by: Svetli.4276

Svetli.4276

am i the only one here that hated with passion SAB ? (even the name make me puke)
am i the only one here that think this have try to mix Sci-Fi, fantasy and steam punk ?

SAB had no heavenly reason to exist at all in that world ! next i expect taimi and rox to make pulp fiction references ><

it was nostalgic blah you want nostalgic go play super mario bros 2 ! just stay away from gw2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“What you wish for may not be what she wishes for.” – Skull Knight

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I haz a big sad. Actually, I haz three big sads.

Big sad #1

I will miss the SAB, it was fun playing it with my friends.

Big sad #2

I never understood while the content already there isn’t accessible to me.

Biggest sad #3

Now I may never happen what was the deal with the genie and the Moto scene in Rata Sum. Thanks for leaving me hanging on a cliffhanger, ANet. I truly care about these things.

I guess I’d be somewhat okay with this story being resolved in another way (like… a novel or something like that) but really.. mainly I’m really disappointed and sad.

Posted by: DOW Mageski.2097

DOW Mageski.2097

I am adding my voice to this, bring back SAB. If Anet is not going to work on it give us the old stuff so we can enjoy it please.

#OccupySAB2014 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Forgotten Vanguard [TFV], a 18+ great guild. On the Gandara server.
Join. http://forgottenvanguard.enjin.com/

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Well, let’s hope for those that are refunded, they don’t bring it back when SAB is active for twice the price.

I understand that, but the coin took some of the fun away from it in my opinion. I’d rather just struggle like a normal player and have real consequences, which I didn’t learn for the longest time.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Posted by: Yam.2891

Yam.2891

Give us SAB back! ;_;

The Lad Guy – aka Mustache Pete
[Trillmatic][SPCA][xmas]

Posted by: sMihaly.1492

sMihaly.1492

Blue skins are limited and trade-able, while all other colors are not limited and account bound.
Skins are not a problem.
The problem with SAB is… wait… sorry, i don’t know any sensible reason against SAB. Those who don’t like it, won’t play it.

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

Wtb permanent portal to SAB in Rata Sum.

You don’t have to update it.

Just leave it there.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Gotta start a forum petition guys, they wont listen otherwise because they are “focusing” on the LS, whatever that means.

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

I’ve already put in a support ticket for a refund for the Infinite Coin, this whole thing just kittenes me off. I’m done supporting this game with buying Gems.

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

sMihaly.1492

am i the only one here that hated with passion SAB ? (even the name make me puke)
am i the only one here that think this have try to mix Sci-Fi, fantasy and steam punk ?

SAB had no heavenly reason to exist at all in that world ! next i expect taimi and rox to make pulp fiction references ><

it was nostalgic blah you want nostalgic go play super mario bros 2 ! just stay away from gw2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You were/are not forced to play it. Hating a game mode is okay. But… Why do you hate the people who have different opinions?

What you said is like… “Delete WvW, cuz i don’t like it, and all other people who like it should neither be able to play it anymore.”

Posted by: Aly Cat.9415

Aly Cat.9415

History of SAB:

An employee makes a minigame on his spare time and it’s released as an April Fool’s Day gag. Some players disliked it even as a gag, some liked it only as a gag, other players wanted more.

Players are given more in the “Back to School” pack (why was it called that? I guess because some players are still school aged, but otherwise it had nothing to do with anything.)

Players complain with what they are given. Other players complain that PvE, WvW and PvP are being neglected because what began as a gag off hours became something unrelated to the base game became much bigger but not necessarily better.

ANet needs to shelve the project, and people complain about THAT.

SAB has a niche audience. However, it is not on par with other mini games like Keg Brawl because those are pretty simple bare bones mini games. It kind of turned into a beast. Personally I think the resource demands of continuing SAB far outweigh the rewards. A lot of you say you want it back as is, but do you really think the forums wouldn’t be flooded with requests to fix it or expand on it?

As the song goes, you don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone. Of the group that enjoyed SAB, most seemed to flood the forums with nothing but complaints about is so I think players brought this on themselves.

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

So, they bring back SAB. You guys play the hell out of it. And then you complain that it never changes, and you’re bored, and why won’t anet bring out world 3. Then you come to the forums, and complain that anet’s ignoring your favorite part of the game. Oh wait, that’s already happening.

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

Hello all,

I sent in a ticket and the support person said the issue would require a bit of additional investigation. The person escalated my ticket for further asisstance.

So they didn’t dismiss it immediately for sure, so I’ll report back here when I have a final answer.

Thats the same response I got when I asked to swap My bone pick for the Sprocket one when they gave no warning that it was coming on sale the week after… Escalated then a huge “Not a chance we do not care!” so I would not hold your breath……. Funny how Anet has no customer service number eh ? everything is ticket/online only

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

I vote for perma sab. No reason there shouldnt be.

SAB or RIOT

sMihaly.1492

@Becka
My favovite part of the game was WvW. sPvP could be enjoyable too. But … many offtopic reasons.
You said well, we are bored, and we want to play the hell out of SAB.