Super Adventure Box [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Moon.7310

Moon.7310

If they are not adding new worlds they could at least give as back the existing ones. I want to have some jumping fun in between and it would also open the possibility on working getting all HM weapon skins :-(

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

you wanna know why less people played SAB?
ill tell you why:

1) SAB is zerg free. No “press 1 to win”, no champion boxes, so players tried it the first time and when they saw what it is all about, most of them skipped it the second time. Why would someone spend time on it when he can go back to his zerging fests right?

2) Too challenging. Players got a bit frustrated and quit.

look anet, this is the kind of players you want to have, good luck~

Probably. I barely got into it because it was always during the time of year that I took my breaks from the game.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Of course they are going to censor it, it would be bad marketing for their gem store escapades if players were made aware that they sold an item that that had infinite uses in one area that was made available for a small time frame only to find out that area isn’t coming back any time soon.

Those people must be absolutely thrilled to have a 600 gem space waster.

Sure posting on another avenue will lower your cahnce of geting infracted and having your post deleted or thread merged to be more conviently ignored, but at the same time its more worthless if a dev doesnt go there ( heck they barely visit these forums)

I thought the coin was 800 gems- can someone confirm?

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: GenoUnknown.7504

GenoUnknown.7504

Of course they are going to censor it, it would be bad marketing for their gem store escapades if players were made aware that they sold an item that that had infinite uses in one area that was made available for a small time frame only to find out that area isn’t coming back any time soon.

Those people must be absolutely thrilled to have a 600 gem space waster.

Sure posting on another avenue will lower your cahnce of geting infracted and having your post deleted or thread merged to be more conviently ignored, but at the same time its more worthless if a dev doesnt go there ( heck they barely visit these forums)

I thought the coin was 800 gems- can someone confirm?

It was 600. I bought one myself (Because I knew I’d play everything SAB had to offer everytime it was out, I thought it was a good purchase decision, I still do).

Kisu Beki(Guardian) | Suki The Great (Warrior) | Suki Grimm (Necromancer)
Geno Bishou (Elementist) | Suki The Huntress (Ranger) | Geno The Unknown (Thief)

Posted by: Veltoss.9135

Veltoss.9135

Still no comment from arenanet? Not even a basic explanation of why they can’t just add SAB as permanent content or one day a week content?

Blackgate

Posted by: Mckeone.9804

Mckeone.9804

I would guess they probably aren’t going to rush to make any statements until they can carefully consider the issue. But I think the furor has had some effect already … consider the new red posts on communication and new CDIs. And as for SAB, specifically, I suspect that their internal deliberation process is probably moving slower than usual because of the upcoming feature pack release.

Posted by: VincentDW.9376

VincentDW.9376

The continued official silence actually makes me slightly optimistic. One hopes it means there is some internal dialog going on about the easiest/best way to throw us some kind of bone, and they won’t say anything about it until they’ve settled on what to do. Even if they were just to turn the old levels back on, I’d still imagine it would take a few weeks to decide on doing so, make the code tweaks that would be necessary, and get it into testing before saying anything about it.

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

It is such a pity that they seem to want to be non-committal about SAB, if it was permanently available or on a rotating schedule I couldn’t care less even if they only updated it once in a blue moon (although I’d prefer if updates rolled out say once in a year so there is no ambiguity about its future).

SAB was the most ambitious and out of the box game update I have seen from ArenaNet for many reasons. Even those that did not particularly like it should agree that because it is so totally different from the rest of the game the fact that it was even doable makes it an impressive accomplishment all the more for a small team.

I don’t know how long SAB originally took to develop but assuming it was the usual it would be around 3-4 months, now if we look at the other pieces of content that got launched around the same time out of all of them, except maybe the Molten Dungeon, SAB felt like it had the most content in terms of sheer volume and diversity of gameplay to me.

Which is why it is all the more confusing that they refuse to even so much as comment on this. SAB is a substantial piece of repeatable content, sure it is not for every one but neither are fractals or dungeons. Sure release two had problems and it was not as popular but problems are there to be overcome and popularity of a particular content type is not a constant.

Interestingly enough SAB also does not generate any gold if I recall correctly. On the contrary it is a gold and time sink albeit a small one (I think some purchases from Moto also had a gold fee associated with them but I might remember wrong). It has no real profit margin most of the purchasable rewards were account bound and the tradeable skin drops were rare and only serve as a means to move currency between players not create it.

So in my mind the impact on games economy if it were to be available permanently or at least frequently would be relatively minor. Additionally it neither cares or impacts game balancing so in that sense it is completely isolated from a major aspect of regular maintenance of the game.

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

Once again bumping this thread because, while I do like that Anet seems more willing to communicate with us these past few days and I do like the look of today’s announcements for the feature pack (thank you Anet), this topic still has not even one Anet response and should not go away quietly.

And once again pitching a “Home SAB” in the Gem store, which places a small SAB in the home instance, accessible year-round.

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

Still no news on SAB? oh anet…

SAB or RIOT

Crise.9401

Once again bumping this thread

Better not use that word, thread bumping is against the forum code of conduct. Your post is probably fine since it contained meaningful remarks about the topic, however, lets not give them excuses to close this topic.

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

Asked for refund it back to gems. Answer is gems down the drain.

Thank you for your patience.

Purchases from the Gem Store are seldom refundable, and in this case we are not able to provide a refund of your purchase. Please keep in mind that we do not have official information about the Super Adventure Box.

I am sorry that we could not fulfill you request in this situation, but please let us know if you have any other questions we can address.

Sort of sounds like if a bunch of people pre-ordered the next Game of Thrones book, but then as years went by it became obvious that George R. R. Martin didn’t seem to be actively writing the series anymore. And when people ask for their pre-order back, Martin just says something vague like “Sorry, I’m not able to return your pre-order money, because at this time I have no official information about whether or not I’m writing the book. I’m not actively writing it, but I’m not not writing it. Nothing’s off the table. If Game of Thrones wanted to magically write itself, I would not stop it.”

Posted by: Kaspar.3892

Kaspar.3892

I had an idea pop into my head

What if Moto decided that he doesn’t even care about the Dragons and their terror they bring. So Moto decides to continue working on the SAB while everyone else in the world seems to panic.

Why can’t more than 1 thing happen in the world at a time?
It seems that the entire world of Tyria is only able to focus on the Dragons when the Dragons appear. What if Moto didn’t give a skritt about the dragons?

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

#bringbackthebox

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Amarena.6581

Amarena.6581

So disappointing ! Bring it back please !

Crise.9401

What if Moto decided that he doesn’t even care about the Dragons and their terror they bring. So Moto decides to continue working on the SAB while everyone else in the world seems to panic.

This would actually make lot of sense considering how asuran geniuses typically are. For all we know Moto may be so absorbed in his work he doesn’t even realize what is going on. Besides the arcane council has been known to hide crucial information about the elder dragons before so maybe they are trying to keep this whole thing low key inside the walls of Rata Sum. After all only one member of the arcane council reluctantly appeared at the summit and even then to mainly point out that this wasn’t really their problem.

Excellent question, sadly the answer to which is likely because the developers don’t trust people to be able to multitask or handle parallel events. They would detract from the living story narrative and experience so they are no good.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

ill tell you why:

1) SAB is zerg free. No “press 1 to win”, no champion boxes, so players tried it the first time and when they saw what it is all about, most of them skipped it the second time. Why would someone spend time on it when he can go back to his zerging fests right?

3) because if we wanted to play an 8-bit platforming game we could just dig round in our attic/closet and pull out games purchased for just that purpose.

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

Maybe someone else has already brought this up, but the whole “it doesn’t fit in the living story” argument just doesn’t hold up. Sure, there’s a dragon on the loose. Several have been for decades, people have adapted and life goes on. There’s a permanent circus in Divinity’s Reach. The queen built an Arena while there’s an ongoing war against centaurs. For those not fighting, life goes on. Same for the Asura in Rata Sum, so why can’t Moto enable the SAB regardless of what’s going on outside the city?

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

Posted by: Rayti.6531

Rayti.6531

ill tell you why:

3) because if we wanted to play an 8-bit platforming game we could just dig round in our attic/closet and pull out games purchased for just that purpose.

4) Or maybe just because at the same time World 2 has been released, ascended weapons have also been introduced. So people were trying to get those and were busy with different tasks like logging, mining, doing JPs and dungeons for fragments, playing the TP etc. just to be among the first ones to have the currently highest tier… (multi tasking huh…?)

Posted by: Liraela.3601

Liraela.3601

Oh Anet C’mon.
In next week is September and no1 info about SAB?

You doing break with story for few weeks so in mine opinion is the best moment to place SAB…

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Check out my Super Adventure Box Riot video.
It shows how many people participated in the SAB Riot.
It shows what the SAB content was.
It shows what players are saying about SAB’s return.

Enjoy it guys and subscribe!

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

Excellent question, sadly the answer to which is likely because the developers don’t trust people to be able to multitask or handle parallel events. They would detract from the living story narrative and experience so they are no good.

Queen’s Jubilee & Zephyr Sanctum.

Crise.9401

Fair point, I assume you are talking about the Festival of the Four Winds cameo. But those are both festival content. Whereas SAB + Living Story would still be a bit of a different mix.

Posted by: Liraela.3601

Liraela.3601

Check out my Super Adventure Box Riot video.
It shows how many people participated in the SAB Riot.
It shows what the SAB content was.
It shows what players are saying about SAB’s return.

Enjoy it guys and subscribe!

Post for reup this link!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfjsZFQx6gE

Look it Anet!

Boneheart.3561

Fair point, I assume you are talking about the Festival of the Four Winds cameo. But those are both festival content. Whereas SAB + Living Story would still be a bit of a different mix.

“Long, hard day keeping civilization from crumbling under the relentless blows of an Elder Dragon? Take a break in the virtual world of Super Adventure Box!! Mordremoth will understand. wink

Festival of the Four Winds was held to finance the recovery of Lion’s Arch (that is it’s inhabitants), the result of it’s attack leading us to Maguuma Wastes. Where the Zephyrites have, unwillingly, introduced a related element to our investigation.

Crise.9401

“Long, hard day keeping civilization from crumbling under the relentless blows of an Elder Dragon? Take a break in the virtual world of Super Adventure Box!! Mordremoth will understand. wink

I would be absolutely fine if they went with that angle to be honest, however, there are number of more elegant ways they could go about it. Some of which I point out earlier, like the fact that apart from Taimi not a single prodgeny, hopefully that’s how you spell it, is in any way involved in fighting with the Elder Dragons and they can’t be either because this is T rated game.

To be honest. I hope Taimi grows up quickly because I hate the way they have to shoehorn in reasons for her not to actively fight in most of the major encounters. I love her as a character, but some of the things they have to do with her are so transparent that it kinda ruins it. But, this is going off topic.

Boneheart.3561

I would be absolutely fine if they went with that angle to be honest, however, there are number of more elegant ways they could go about it. Some of which I point out earlier, like the fact that apart from Taimi not a single prodgeny, hopefully that’s how you spell it, is in any way involved in fighting with the Elder Dragons and they can’t be either because this is T rated game.

To be honest. I hope Taimi grows up quickly because I hate the way they have to shoehorn in reasons for her not to actively fight in most of the major encounters. I love her as a character, but some of the things they have to do with her are so transparent that it kinda ruins it. But, this is going off topic.

Last time Taimi wasn’t restricted by adult supervision, she was stranded in the Mists with out-of-reach materials to repair Scruffy.

Posted by: wolfyrik.2017

wolfyrik.2017

I haven’t tried SAB yet, but I’d like to. Frankly, I don’t see why it shouldn’t be either permenantly enabled or be part of another event, it would fit perfectly with Wintersday. Adding a sense of gaming nostalgia to christmas right here in GW2, how could that possibly be anything other than a good idea?

Posted by: Rhavoreth.1350

Rhavoreth.1350

I will preface this by saying this isn’t another page slamming A-Net because they haven’t got anything to talk about regarding Super Adventure Box (SAB). This is a thread that I will hope will allow the developers and the players to find a suitable middle ground for now. So without further ado, I will begin.

So how are we to find a middle ground? A-Net clearly don’t have anything to announce in terms of SAB but what they do have is the original content, just sitting on a server somewhere, getting dusty (figuratively speaking). Many players would love SAB to come back in any form or fashion possible with new content added as a bonus. I think you can see what I am getting at here.

What if SAB worlds 1 and 2 were brought back as a ‘festival’ at a suitable time?

How feasible is this to do for A-Net and how would the player base feel about this? Personally, I would be more than pleased with this knowing that nothing new was possible in the time frame. Many players have yet to experience SAB, myself included so just getting Worlds 1 and 2 back, I feel would satisfy many players.

But lets think of logistics for A-Net and benefits to the players:

Logistics for A-Net:

• Put the SAB files back into the client
  • Pick a time to bring it back
  • Add a festival icon to the map and make the achievements attainable again
  • Get Moto to write a message to all players informing them SAB is open for further testing. (This one might be problematic, I am sure Moto is very busy!)

Benefits for Players

• Newer players get to experience SAB for the first time
  • Older players get to try and complete achievements they missed the first time
  • Gives players something to do after they have finished with Living Story Episodes
  • Allows people another chance at getting the Tribulation mode skins

Personally, I think this is a suitable middle ground for both A-Net and Players alike. If I was to suggest a ‘suitable time’ for it to return, what better time than just following the feature pack, before Living Story continues. The theme could be ‘Back to School’, like last year and the reason for Moto’s reopening could be as simple as more testing is required before any new worlds are opened.

What does everyone think? Would this be satisfactory and more importantly, would you play it?

Thanks for reading and any thoughts on the subject are more than welcome.

Rhavoreth – Mesmer,
Rhavs – Guardian
[Att] – Attuned

Posted by: Asgaeroth.6427

Asgaeroth.6427

Where’s our SAB?? This thread has more views than most of the stickies, does it not warrant a response as to why the already created and widely beloved SAB hasn’t been reenabled?

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Where’s our SAB?? This thread has more views than most of the stickies, does it not warrant a response as to why the already created and widely beloved SAB hasn’t been reenabled?

Didn’t you see the interview? It hasn’t been enabled again because it doesn’t fit in with the living story. Obviously. (tongue is firmly in cheek here. there’s literally no good reason to trash the thing abandon it “for the time being.”)

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Asgaeroth.6427

Asgaeroth.6427

Didn’t you see the interview? It hasn’t been enabled again because it doesn’t fit in with the living story. Obviously. (tongue is firmly in cheek here. there’s literally no good reason to trash the thing abandon it “for the time being.”)

It does fit, quite well. I think someone at Anet is actively trying to sabotage the game or hates the person who worked so hard to make it. The fact it isn’t on right now is pretty malicious, it’s not like it would actually take them any effort or have any impact on the game other than having something in the game that the players actually love.

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

There are a couple threads on the engineer forum, over a year old, still bumped to the front page to this day they involve pretty simple stuff that engies have wanted fixed since launch- legendary effects on their kits, and the ability to hide hobosacks. Each has a red patch from early on in the post, with some platitude or another. Neither has been addressed in any way since. Their post/view counts are 387/48810 and 1058/79162, respectively. Yes, that one on hobosacks has over a thousand posts on it, and aside from a dev “yes, coming soon” ages ago, has not been addressed.

TL;DR: Don’t hold your breath.

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

Posted by: Mantheren.5428

Mantheren.5428

Did somebody plug it back in yet?

I have been jumping up structures in the open world reaching terrain without clipping in the mean time, but can we please have the already made SAB worlds back to fulfil my jumping needs?

Btw quick suggestion, world two really only needed some checkpoints right?
Don’t those already exist? Add some contested waypoints that uncontest once you reach them. Then contest them again once you finish the world. That’s basically a checkpoint.

Oh wait, I suppose you need to save the checkpoint/waypoint status on a per player basis in stead of a per map instance basis… Bah, ok never mind that then…

Just please plug back in the already existing worlds.

Thanks.

Posted by: Kirito.9207

Kirito.9207

SAB was by far my favorite thing in GW2.

Everything about it was extremely awesome! Unfortunately I wasn’t able to play World 2 due to medical reasons. I would love if A-net would finally bring it back. It doesn’t need to fit into LS, it doesn’t have to make sense. I just can’t understand why you pour so much development into something and then take it away.

Such wasted potential here.

Boneheart.3561

… it doesn’t have to make sense.

(five minutes after Super Adventure Box update goes live)

ANet, what were you thinking!! [Merged]

Posted by: Kysin.6349

Kysin.6349

… it doesn’t have to make sense.

(five minutes after Super Adventure Box update goes live)

ANet, what were you thinking!! [Merged]

Haha, sad but true… Although you wouldn’t find me anywhere in that thread. I would be collecting baubles!! Woohoo!

Co-leader of Knights of Eminence[Sir] – PvX
Reap The Weak[Reap] – WvW 5-man havok
-Blackgate

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

If there is SAB half a year, no, even once a year, I think is not bad. I don’t think is very demanding for the players to request having it once per year.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Crise.9401

Haha, sad but true… Although you wouldn’t find me anywhere in that thread. I would be collecting baubles!! Woohoo!

That is the universal truth when it comes to forum communities centered around a product be it a game or something else entirely. Forums tend to be a concentration of the negative things surrounding that particular community because positive posts rarely get the continuous exposure and community attention that negative postings do.

In the case of SAB the people most happy about it had no reason to comment on it at all on the forums when it was around and might not even be aware of the struggle’s surrounding its second release whatsoever.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Anet could have a least replied and explained or deny the end of SAB anymore.
“It doesn’t fit with the LS” is a lame reason, that’s actually what we liked about it.

It’s their creation and then they talk about it like it’s an inconvenience.

Posted by: KenSniper.8690

KenSniper.8690

Meanwhile in 2016

“We are removing WvW Tournaments because they don’t fit the LS, I mean like why would ppl be fighting one another in large scale battles when they are needed to battle a dragon, on second thought lets just remove WvW entirely, and pvp, and dungeons, we need all these ppl to fight the dragon!”

Posted by: Therodin.2970

Therodin.2970

I am very sad how quickly people stopped complaining about this My friend just today asked where i got my 8bit yellow bird staff from and if he could get one.

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

A full blown minigame is too confusing and overwhelming for new players and veterans alike.
On the bright side, anyone who purchased the Infinite Coin with real money will appreciate their that money went into funding the New Player Experience.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

We had protests, in game and on the forum and Arena Net never gave an official reply. The feature pack was recently released and was not well received at all, it has stolen the limelight for now.

Seems to me that Arena Net are sticking to their guns and feeding us more living tripe, whether we want it or not. Financially it makes no sense as the more access people have to it the more SAB related gem store items they can sell. As for not developing more levels, that is okay for now just let us play what was released last time.

I love SAB, it is a great diversion where I can get away from the normal game and relax.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

A full blown minigame is too confusing and overwhelming for new players and veterans alike.
On the bright side, anyone who purchased the Infinite Coin with real money will appreciate their that money went into funding the New Player Experience.

I seriously hope you’re joking. The only way SAB is confusing is if you’ve been lobotomized. Its difficult due to the need for timing and reflexes, but the gameplay is exceedingly simple. SAB should be the yardstick by how GW2 goes forward, conceptually simple, but complex in execution. Players should have content that is easy to figure out initially, but take time and effort to master.

As to the idea that removing content and reintroducing it keeps it “fresh” or somehow part of a “living story” then why aren’t dungeons introduced and removed on a regular basis? I must have killed the Searing Effigy in CoF a bajillion times, yet it just… keeps… coming… BACK! Not very dynamic and “living story-esque” is it? The reasons ANet lists for not having SAB permanent are ludicrous, and yet another example of their dev team either not knowing what the players want, or not caring and instead focused on introducing more BLTC content. Skill overhaul and balance? Instead here are some weapons with hearts in them!

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

It’s really sad because GW2 was trending upwards until the September Feature Patch. They could have put SAB in during the break of the best LS so far and this game would have been better than ever.

Instead they spent a lot of time on the New Player Experience (that affects not only New Players) and the game is getting the worst reviews I’ve ever seen.

Hindsight bias and all that, I know, but it’s not as if this scenario is a total surprise. As soon as SAB was “postponed indefinitely” and this whole New Player Experience was announced many people have been skeptical.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

Posted by: Dionysus.9158

Dionysus.9158

SAB was probably some of the most fun I’d had in this game. Good thing we got this amazing ‘feature’ pack instead.

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

Hindsight bias and all that, I know, but it’s not as if this scenario is a total surprise. As soon as SAB was “postponed indefinitely” and this whole New Player Experience was announced many people have been skeptical.

Its like ANet is literally trying to torpedo the game and sink it. I cannot fathom in any way how anyone with any experience in game design or market demand would think that changes such as we’ve seen recently would make players happy or draw new players in.

It feels like ANet is playing the Banker in the fourth hour of a marathon Monopoly game. Everyone is sick of the game, its no longer fun, but stick it out just to be able to say they finished it, while the Banker player is skimming from the till when no one is looking.

I wish they would remove their heads from the dark places and realize these simple truths:

1: Balance the game. Stop working on skins, and balance the professions. This should have been the priority since Day 1

2: Keep content in. How would GW1 have fared if the devs had decided to deactivate Nightfall for a year to “keep it phresh!”

3: Work on new, repeatable, challenging content. Not play through once LS updates followed by title/achievement grinding, but instead maybe a new dungeon (or more dungeon paths) that offer new challenges, rewards, and more players, i.e. Raids.

4: More PvP modes. Perhaps GvG to finally fit with the title of GUILD WARS???

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

I seriously hope you’re joking.

They said SAB doesn’t fit in the living story. Looking at the New Player Experience, the only explanation I can conclude is that having SAB running along side with the living story is just too much to handle! The down state by itself is too much to handle!
A game within a game with completely new abilities and mechanics?! It will just exploded someone’s brain!!

But seriously, they’re spent/spending so much time and resources on this New Player Experience and the next living story. SAB is on the table (ie. dead).

Posted by: Mokai.2480

Mokai.2480

Posting to lend my voice here. I’ve fond, fond memories of SAB: Back to School, as it was the current event when I joined the game as well as the thing my friends used on me to convine me to give GW2 a try.

I’ve been waiting and waiting for it’s glorious return, all the while telling my friends who are newer to the game about it, and we’re all still pumped for a return that seems to never come about.

World 3 or no, please bring it back. So much love and detail went into the SAB that it’s a shame the intent seems to be to lock it away forever. :c