Super Adventure Box [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Inverse.2967

Inverse.2967

All those poor little asuran prodigies crying all day and night just because SAB is kaputt….

Please ANet have a heart bring back SAB once you got that HoT thingy out and running well. Next spring maybe ?

Rytlock should be new Boss character and throw barrels of some kind :P

Posted by: Therodin.2970

Therodin.2970

All those poor little asuran prodigies crying all day and night just because SAB is kaputt….

Please ANet have a heart bring back SAB once you got that HoT thingy out and running well. Next spring maybe ?

Rytlock should be new Boss character and throw barrels of some kind :P

That is hilarious and it could totally have rytlock outside the entrance arguing with Moto about it!

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

I would not be surprised if SAB never returns, I 100% believe they mean it when they say soon. But i also 100% believe when they said they weren’t going to do an expansion model. Over time there priorities change and other stuff starts looking more attractive, so im sure when they have the time to work on SAB something else will look more important.

Sadly, I believe you are completely right… the number of players who got to experience it can only either stay the same or get worse (depending on how you look at it). Over time ANet will have less and less incentive to bring it back. Especially if the longer they wait the harder it becomes, which could very well be a realistic scenario taking Colins semi-recent (it is kind of sad to have to use that word on this time scale) comments into account.

They have found their groove, when it comes to narrative and mechanical updates at this point, so where does that leave fun wacky out of the box updates. The optimist in me is saying the earliest we could see SAB would be in April next year, but that is if they make the conscious decision that SAB is now their “April Fools festival” much like the escapades of the Mad King constitute the typical Halloween festivities. If SAB remains at a place where it has no place of its own to call home, then we really might indeed never see it come back despite ArenaNet’s best intentions… best laid plans and all that.

We don’t really know ArenaNet’s roadmap going forward past HoT, sans 3 raid wings as post launch updates and returning to a more frequent release cadence (the current assumption as to what that means is LS season 3, and Halloween + Wintersday but those might be recycled again due to HoT).

Edit: for the lazy, here is much of the same by WoodenPotatoes https://youtu.be/fEMWCWaU-uQ?t=825

(edited by Crise.9401)

Posted by: ReV.6097

ReV.6097

I hope they don’t skip next April, like they did this year.
It would give them plenty of time to fix and update SAB..
we’re being patient.. o,..,o come on A.Net!

GW2 Role Play Deviant art -
Legacy of Kain:
[link]http://fav.me/d8kgamy[/link]

Crise.9401

Oi, Colin… wasn’t SAB supposed to be broken or something… the envy is real right now. At least it is not totally broken by the looks of it (who needs hitboxes anyways :P).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3l8dt4/super_adventure_box/

(edited by Crise.9401)

Posted by: Therodin.2970

Therodin.2970

Oi, Colin… wasn’t SAB supposed to be broken or something… the envy is real right now. At least it is not totally broken by the looks of it (who needs hitboxes anyways :P).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3l8dt4/super_adventure_box/

Well now we have to riot, there is a prisoner of war in there!

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

SAB seems to be working just fine. HMMMMMMM…

Posted by: egzius.9031

egzius.9031

Seems like Arenanet needs to come up with another reason we cannot test until some guy breaks into SAB to prove them wrong. So far, it just looks like Arenanet just couldn’t care less about SAB and threw anything that came into their mind as reasons to us.

Posted by: circuitnerd.5863

circuitnerd.5863

I have a feeling SAB is never returning. Too bad cause it was the best.

Certified Gameaholic

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

Still waiting for continuation. It was awesome and I want more!

Posted by: Dantert.1803

Dantert.1803

WE WANT SAB! WE WANT SAB!WE WANT SAB! WE WANT SAB!WE WANT SAB! WE WANT SAB!
IIIIiii have a dreeeeaamm!! One dayy aaall the neww and oold players of Gw2 will be able to experience the SAB!

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Seems like Arenanet needs to come up with another reason we cannot test until some guy breaks into SAB to prove them wrong. So far, it just looks like Arenanet just couldn’t care less about SAB and threw anything that came into their mind as reasons to us.

It looks barely bugged at all. Anet lied to us.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Rayti.6531

Rayti.6531

If you guys took the time to read through the reddit post (+ comments) where the video has been posted, you would also have seen the comments by the player who got stuck in the SAB. He is writing about missing/broken collision detection, broken projectiles, endless continue room (you get stuck there when you run out of lifes) etc. he encountered in there…

These are only a few bugs from World 2-1 (first zone). All the other zones were blocked from the player, according to his original post on reddit. Do you really think these are the only bugs in existence after all the changes made to the game (most prominent change which could affect the SAB: fall dmg fixes)?

Also: The abovementioned bugs might sound like minor bugs to you, but the cause for them could lie very deep in the code and need some time to get fixed.

Releasing the SAB in its current state would only result in a lot of complaints on the forums about said bugs and could also lead to the certain, permanent death of the SAB. Just imagine you were a new player who heard about this epic instanced content which is the SAB from veterans, and then the first time you get to play it, it’s a bugged, nearly unplayable mess. Do you think such a player would enjoy it and/or ever go in there again?

Don’t get me wrong, I want the SAB back as much as everyone here… But I’d rather have it in its fixed state than in a broken one.

Crise.9401

If you guys took the time to read through the reddit post (+ comments) where the video has been posted, you would also have seen the comments by the player who got stuck in the SAB. He is writing about missing/broken collision detection, broken projectiles, endless continue room (you get stuck there when you run out of lifes) etc. he encountered in there…

These are only a few bugs from World 2-1 (first zone). All the other zones were blocked from the player, according to his original post on reddit. Do you really think these are the only bugs in existence after all the changes made to the game (most prominent change which could affect the SAB: fall dmg fixes)?

Also: The abovementioned bugs might sound like minor bugs to you, but the cause for them could lie very deep in the code and need some time to get fixed.

Releasing the SAB in its current state would only result in a lot of complaints on the forums about said bugs and could also lead to the certain, permanent death of the SAB. Just imagine you were a new player who heard about this epic instanced content which is the SAB from veterans, and then the first time you get to play it, it’s a bugged, nearly unplayable mess. Do you think such a player would enjoy it and/or ever go in there again?

Don’t get me wrong, I want the SAB back as much as everyone here… But I’d rather have it in its fixed state than in a broken one.

Thanks for posting this, I was about to do the same… that said, for me what is broken and what isn’t is relative. Judging from that video I’d say while SAB is definitely broken (ie. they didn’t lie) it is still less broken than I originally assumed after reading Colin’s statements on it.

Posted by: Sevans.4619

Sevans.4619

I think that after Heart of Thorns, Super Adventure Box should be the next GW2 expansion. Elder dragon and all.

Saethe — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Maguuma

Crise.9401

I think that after Heart of Thorns, Super Adventure Box should be the next GW2 expansion. Elder dragon and all.

lol, definitely seconded The salt from other players would be real though, the people who don’t like SAB tend to be quiet until something official about it is said after all (for the record, not serious but I do find the thought amusing).

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

I really think Anet became a victim of their own success on this one. They went outside the box with the game engine and did some jerry rigged coding to pull off some of the stuff that happened behind the scenes, mostly mechanic wise back then.

Now that the game engine has evolved so much since, SAB is not backwards compatible. The code is obsolete and broke as all heck. However I do not understand why the server is running the scripts still, considering that player like Neo was able to enter the matrix.

They would have to gut and restart SAB, not from scratch since they have the models and concepts all figured out. It would be like tearing a broken engine out of a car, rebuilding it and putting it back in. It takes time, and with HOT it’s not happening, at least not this year.

Posted by: SRoode.7318

SRoode.7318

IMO, the least that could be done would be for Moto to be able to buy back Infinite Continue Coins. I never bought one, but I can understand that people who did buy it would be upset. This change should not take hardly any effort at all.

Crise.9401

They would have to gut and restart SAB, not from scratch since they have the models and concepts all figured out.

You are overestimating the changes in the game engine most likely, that is if their programmers know jack about modular programming and API design. While code rot is a real thing the basic principles of API design are, in practice, based on minimizing the ripple effect when changes are made at lower levels. Theoretically you are not supposed to change the contracts (Design by Contract, Bertrand Meyer 1986) in a way that is not backwards compatible, but that is not always pragmatic or realistic.

Yes, SAB might have done unintended things and relied on implementation details, however, your metaphor of taking a broken engine and rebuilding it is tad excessive. Better analog would be like doing a corrective eye surgery. If SAB was broken to a point where all they had would be models (plus other assets) and their concepts it would not be able to run on the engine at all much less be interacted with in any way. If they really had changed the engine so drastically as you seem to think they have they’d have to constantly rework old content to match their changes which is not sustainable.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

“We”?

`We´ would not be wrong as the majority of people want it.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Super-Adventure-Box-merged-1/page/52#post5475452

No doubt this will be merged.

Some group of people want it. It is impossible to accurately gauge the percentage of the population of the game that do. But a sizable number do and it is reasonable to expect that a large population of new players would also enjoy it if it returned.

Some people want it? That is a gross understatement.

This is kinda is easy to gauge, many SAB protests in game, a massive topic on the forums, we even have a SAB music video begging for SAB to return! Couple this with very few people posting against the return of SAB and I think you have your answer.

SAB will return, soon as we get this HoT nonsense out of the way.

Some is actually the single most accurate descriptor of the number of people who want SAB, it is also the single most accurate descriptor of the people who don’t, and also of the people who don’t care one way or another. The reason is, we have absolutely no way to gauge numbers, nor even percentages of the population. Therefore some number do want it and some don’t. The number who do want it is subjectively large. A subjectively large number of people who have never experienced SAB would also probably enjoy SAB, but we have no accurate way of determining it.

Regardless of accuracy and subjective values the number that do and would should still be sufficient to warrant ANet’s attention and desire to fix the problem. Unfortunately ANet in its current incarnation seems to be completely trash at time and resource management, and continues to push projects like this back.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Kal Spiro.9745

As someone with an ICC I am definitely not a new player who will get freaked out about the bugs, and I would absolutely be willing to bug test SAB for them while they’re doing not SAB. Doesn’t it seem like it would be easier to fix all the problems if there were some people inside checking the problems? Especially people who are familiar enough with how the game is supposed to run to say, this is what it did and is supposed to do, this is what it is actually doing?"

Give ICC owners unrestricted access to SAB under the expectation that they will bug test it. I would absolutely do that, and I expect a large number of others would also.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

The lack of permanence to content ArenaNet makes is really discouraging.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Crise.9401

Give ICC owners unrestricted access to SAB under the expectation that they will bug test it. I would absolutely do that, and I expect a large number of others would also.

I would happily join you (I like breaking things, especially when I don’t have to be the one to fix said broken things), however, if they did anything like this it would be a disaster for them.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

we have absolutely no way to gauge numbers

Apart from perhaps the super massive topic and the many in game protests with many, many filled maps? The tons of fan art and songs plus the fact that one person being trapped in the box is news worthy on one of the biggest MMO sites around.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/09/17/guild-wars-2-player-finds-himself-trapped-in-the-super-adventure-box/

I wish people would stop spouting nonsense.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Crise.9401

Apart from perhaps the super massive topic and the many in game protests with many, many filled maps? The tons of fan art and songs plus the fact that one person being trapped in the box is news worthy on one of the biggest MMO sites around.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/09/17/guild-wars-2-player-finds-himself-trapped-in-the-super-adventure-box/

Kal Spiro is actually correct though, ArenaNet has more data than we do and their data is out of date due to so many shifts and changes in player population since the box was last open and our data is equally out of date (at least as far as this topic is concerned, as well as past protests).

We can not gauge numbers (same applies to ArenaNet even though they have more data) because we have no data as to how many of the people that have participated in this topic or past protests are still actively playing or waiting for SAB to return. At this point there has just been too much time since the box was last open for us to make any accurate assessment one way or the other the landscape has changed.

Is there demand for SAB? Definitely, however, quantifying said demmand in any way is actually not possible.

Posted by: Eirdyne.9843

Eirdyne.9843

Can we have a refund for our Infinite Lives Coin since it’s been useless for years now?

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Can we have a refund for our Infinite Lives Coin since it’s been useless for years now?

They refuse to refund it because SAB is still in the game and maaaaaybe will be unlocked in the future.

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

They refuse to refund it because SAB is still in the game and maaaaaybe will be unlocked in the future.

In just under two weeks it’s been useless for two years. I know it’s a small cost in relative terms, but I’m surprised that this isn’t an issue that gets more discussion. ANet took real world money for a service they aren’t providing, haven’t apologised for it, have barely explained it, and refuse to refund it. It’s absolutely shocking customer service that would be totally unacceptable in any other industry.

Crise.9401

More likely they are afraid of the surge of gems into the economy if they suddenly had to process all the refund requests (because hey, “free” gems). But you are right that is their official reason.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Seriously all the new players are wondering what it is and all we can reply is: “oh was the best PvE addon content Anet has done but they removed it from the game 2 years ago”.

It’s just so lame to remove content like this. Bring it back!

Of course it is. I never believe that poor “physics change” excuse for 1 second.

(edited by Xillllix.3485)

Posted by: JSmooth.7654

JSmooth.7654

Makes me so jealous >.>

I am a tank at heart.
Sometimes I wonder what I’m doing here…

Kal Spiro.9745

Seriously all the new players are wondering what it is and all we can reply is: “oh was the best PvE addon content Anet has done but they removed it from the game 2 years ago”.

Of course it is. I never believe that poor “physics change” excuse for 1 second.

It is absolutely not working fine. Unless you are actively ready to do some serious bug testing you would not want to be in that game. This video only shows one of the many problems this player has run into and even it is a serious problem. Do you honestly want to be trapped in that room for five minutes any time you might run out of lives? That’s super broken.

Kal Spiro.9745

Give me a number then. If you honestly believe that it’s in any way possible to give an accurate count or percentage of the population that currently wants SAB, and that would definitely enjoy it who hasn’t experienced it, give us this number and cite the sources.

All you are doing is saying, “some number of people that I subjectively define as large (which is specifically what I just said in that post) are waiting for SAB.” That is a true statement, but we don’t know what that number is and we can’t know. By claiming anything else you are actively lying. That is the reason I’m correcting you.

What you are spouting is inaccurate fanaticism. I love SAB and I want it back, but I don’t stand for that nonsense.

Crise.9401

It is absolutely not working fine. Unless you are actively ready to do some serious bug testing you would not want to be in that game. This video only shows one of the many problems this player has run into and even it is a serious problem. Do you honestly want to be trapped in that room for five minutes any time you might run out of lives? That’s super broken.

Correct also, people seem to have conveniently missed the lack of bubbles inside the level shown so the special interaction to add bubbles to your inventory when running over them definitely is broken (note: the objects do not even spawn) so it is also likely that any other objects like it are also broken.

Posted by: philheat.3956

philheat.3956

1st april 2016

I bet on it

World 1,2,3

No temporary this time.

Posted by: raiaknl.6348

raiaknl.6348

Because the player will have SO MUCH fun that he/she gonna buy it IMMEDIATELY.

Just saying Anet.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Nintendo isn’t afraid of money. They know what’s up.

Attachments:

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Meh … played World 1. Completely ignored the second one. They(or at least Colin …) have already said that it will be on hold until HoT is released.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If they would have so ‘much fun’ for free, why buy anything?

Maybe, if the P4Fers can not play SAB, they will buy….hmmm?

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

I think Arenanet should abandon HoT and bring SAB as expansion.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Isn’t SAB mostly a jumping puzzle?

That’s a terrible idea. One’s enjoyment of jumping puzzles is entirely contingent on your familiarity with the game’s controls. The only thing you’ll achieve by putting a newbie through the hardest jumping puzzle in the game is frustrate them until they ragequit.

Posted by: Shinjiko.1352

Shinjiko.1352

With the hype SAB gets, I feel like that could very well be a pretty viable option for anet to make money.

SABHoT expansion! – Because Mordremoth likes old school video games too.

Although I imagine he isn’t the best jumper.

Posted by: CptTrips.6512

CptTrips.6512

vote for merge

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

If op’s conclusion might work, then please don’t add SAB!

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Crise.9401

That’s a terrible idea. One’s enjoyment of jumping puzzles is entirely contingent on your familiarity with the game’s controls. The only thing you’ll achieve by putting a newbie through the hardest jumping puzzle in the game is frustrate them until they ragequit.

While I agree with you, though I find the concept amusing, I disagree on the fact that SAB is the hardest jumping puzzle in GW2. The most mechanically complex and the longest (counting all zones, or even just an individual W2 zone), definitely, however, it is hardly the hardest (sans Tribulation mode, but that is for masochists anyways).

Why it isn’t the hardest, because while there are hard jumps in places, thanks to how it is separated and uses unique assets (and can use more liberal collision/hitboxes) and resized character models it is mostly actually a lot easier to design jumping puzzles where the game engines shortcomings don’t annoy you.

Okay parts of W2 were brutal the first time through, however, once you learn the tricks it becomes a lot easier (flute is king). Personally the most annoying part of SAB thus far was they geyser bend in W2-1 (due to lag, however, they “fixed” it) and the Yeti fight in W2-3. That said SAB still has things that most jumping puzzles do not and that is shortcuts and other aids in addition to checkpoints.

If op’s conclusion might work, then please don’t add SAB!

Knowing that the topic would get merged, this no longer makes much sense.

Kal Spiro.9745

Isn’t SAB mostly a jumping puzzle?

SAB is a platformer, that does mean it makes a lot of use verticality and jumping. However it doesn’t involve a lot of standard platformer methodology, like precisely timed jumps (Again, except in Tribulation Mode which is not required and is specifically designed to make you cry yourself to sleep.) It is by no means the most difficult jumping puzzle, that I would give to Caladon Forest, above the Nightmare Court area, or the one in Metrica Provence, or possibly South Sun. I would also count Silverwaste but it’s mostly just long, though the end is rather grueling. The actual hardest is Griffonrook Run, but only if you actually intend to open the chest. That one gives Tribulation Mode a run for its money.

SAB is a series of jumps that are usually not that hard. Some are tricky, but the consequences of failure aren’t that drastic, usually. There is also combat and clever boss fights. There is potentially a little something for everyone.

Posted by: jamboburton.4367

jamboburton.4367

I’m just sad now

Posted by: pelle ossa.9705

pelle ossa.9705

give us SAB plz

Posted by: Remedios.6801

Remedios.6801

Everyday, I am praying that if SAB can become available again….

my main turned into 3 years old recently…… she really want to use her infinite coins and the pointy stick for the great adventure.
I worry when she turns into 4yrs, 5yrs, 6yrs…….Am I still keep rioting in Rata Sum and threatening Moto everyday???

We have to SAVE the PRINCESS! Defeat LORD VANQUISH!!!
Lord Vanquish is the greater threat as compare with the elder dragons!

Give us SAB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Fixing a code ain’t rocket science. They just don’t want to do it.