TY Anet for Transgender NPC!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

It’s very strange to see people objecting to this NPC and people like her. When people object like this, it feels as though they’re objecting to my existence as well. It’s discomforting.
I honestly cannot comprehend a dislike of inclusion and representation.

Posted by: Sarevok.2638

Sarevok.2638

That is NOT it and is a very dangerous viewpoint to take.

Care to elaborate? In what way is my viewpoint dangerous?

Edit to add: Look at the posts directly above and below me (by Rukhas and Sogradde respectively, in case these posts are deleted later). I rest my case.

Let me put it this way, until Fallout 4 had it clear that you could customise your character, certain people saw it as bigoted and forcing you to play a white male, going against allowing openness simply because the protagonist used a voice in the trailer. Leadng to an absolutely stupid string of comments all over twitter, getting in the way of the fact, it’s Fallout 4!! There was nothing wrong with the trailer at all, certain people with this kind of topic in mind started spewing their venom simply because they didn’t feel it suited them.

I do not want this kind of hostility and debate eclipsing what’s important in this game, saving Tyria from the elder dragons. I don’t have anything against such groups but it’s not what a I log in for! That’s why that kind of viewpoint is dangerous, it’s hostile to the atmosphere we’ve had since launch where nobody thought about these things and we all just got on as normal. If that viewpoint starts making it’s way outside the thread to other things where it has no relevancy, then we are on a dark path. There are always going to be people with certain nasty views on it, it won’t change in a day, but lets not counter it by treating anyone else who doesn’t want to make this a bigger issue with hostility. It may have seemed like a knee jerk post I made at about….4am (I think), but it simply rung in with the attitude I’ve come to lothe from certain types in the bigger contraversies outside because of all the asinine trouble it creates. Nothing against you personally.

Look at this thread and wonder “How long is this going to keep going?” When this thread is gone, I hope everyone will just return to that surrounding what we log in for, the game. I am indeed looking through the thread and hoping this kind of debate NEVER rears it’s ugly head again! We’re all people/players!

sorry a very minor NPC is keeping you from killing a dragon. maybe your gear is underleveled?

No, all the people I would be fighting alongside are too busy bickering about an NPC is what it is.

Oh, SNAP.

Posted by: Testudo.4620

Testudo.4620

^just logged on, people are still there. ask them maybe?

old people are almost always vastly ignorant to social change. which is where the racist grandparents stereotypes come from.

“social change”
So, you admit it’s a social agenda, and not a real issue? If society says it’s normal, then doctors need to swallow their knowledge and research and go with the flow?
Human anatomy and physiology didn’t change for thousands of years.

social change as in ending transphobia, not whatever words you put in my mouth

Homophobia and Transphobia doesnt exist in the DSM5

so I dont know what that is.. because its not a diagnosis. …

do you not leave your house

Zhaife
Graduated top of class esports academy
#1 on fractal leaderboards

(edited by Testudo.4620)

Posted by: LandStander.7094

LandStander.7094

Existing is not an agenda. That is all.

Posted by: poisonality.8972

poisonality.8972

Anet pulled through, and introduced a transgender NPC into the game! A big Thank You to Colin for showing love to my LGBT friends.

Aid Worker Sya, formerly know as Symon. Tyria took one step closer to equality for all!

you mean T friends….I still don’t understand how they are all grouped into a thing called LGBT. seems kind of odd to label people so very different from one another into one thing.. also I do not see how a transgender has anything to do with a lesbian unless of course that trans is a lesbian

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

LGBT are a group because we’re all advocating for sexual diversity, be it sexual orientation or gender identity too. We believe that everyone has the right to live their life how they see fit without others interfering. we’re not hurting anyone else.

Posted by: Charritable.8709

Charritable.8709

It’s very strange to see people objecting to this NPC and people like her. When people object like this, it feels as though they’re objecting to my existence as well. It’s discomforting.
I honestly cannot comprehend a dislike of inclusion and representation.

You’re the only one kittenumes his / her / its own existence by his / her / its sexual orientation.

coso.9173

sexual orientation or gender identity is not what defines us, but it plays a bit role on what we are. I am a gay male, and that is a pretty big part of who I am as a person, I’m much more than that of course, I like art, I like comics, videogames and sport and I always try to be funny. those are also parts of who I am as a person, but all of them play a big role on my identity.

Posted by: DarkSyze.8627

DarkSyze.8627

This is a very dangerous move by Arena net that will only hurt their image very severely. So instead of asking your customers for this idea. suggestions and their opinions about this very dangerous design: you do it anyways.

It is the same idea and mindset Arena net using for thief profession stealth. But this time, they cross the line. Forcing their ideas and belief to their customers is not acceptable.

Example:

It is like putting a religious staff in the main entrance of the building for service.

I do not have problem with any belief, religion, sex, orientation etc… but i have a problem with a company who believes forcing their beliefs into their customers is a ok. Customer should have a right to decide what they want is acceptable and not what is acceptable for their interest in decision.

Taking away Freedom Of Choice from your customers will never be acceptable or rewarded.

There is a time of place for everything

Belief is private and personal

Arena net should know better than that: i am very disappointed Arena net!! You are allowing ‘opening Pandora box’ for abuse and embarrassments. to your customers.This is criminal because if anything happen to them in real life; you will be responsible.

It is no one business what religion, sex, orientation, beliefs they are but creating a ‘gate-way’ for them to be target is Evil.

It is your Responsibility and Duty to protect your customers. It is your Priority to protect their identity

Suggestion:

Allow the npc to be selected in players personal and private guild hall. Also, importantly: make this thread private to each players for security and safety reason.

" Solutions To A Problem Can Only Be Found, When You Want To Get Rid Of It "
Ankur

(edited by DarkSyze.8627)

Posted by: Cheshire.8761

Cheshire.8761

Hiya! As a trans female myself, this is a very, very wonderful thing and just about made my day; if not my week. This is not somethin oft done and it’s… honestly so amazing to see. Thank you, so much, Anet. I can’t stop squealing!

As to everyone speaking against it, kindly screw off. There’s bigger problems than her gender identity if it’s making you uncomfortable. It’s called your transphobia.

And @the player above me, if beliefs are private and personal, why is it your belief against this turn of events that is driving you to make that post? :o Your beliefs are just as private and personal, so keep them to yourself! no?

^ ~ ^

LandStander.7094

This is a very dangerous move by Arena net that will only hurt their image very severely. So instead of asking your customers for this idea. suggestions and their opinions about this very dangerous design: you do it anyways.

It is the same idea and mindset Arena net using for thief profession stealth. But this time, they cross the line. Forcing their ideas and belief to their customers is not acceptable.

Example:

It is like putting a religious staff in the main entrance of the building for service.

I do not have problem with any belief, religion etc… but i have a problem with a company who believes forcing their beliefs into their customers. Belief is private and personal

Arena net should know better than that: i am very disappointed Arena net!!

Suggestion:

Allow the npc to be selected in players personal and private guild halld.

" Freedom isn’t forcing your beliefs on others "

I’m throwing a party and I have TONS of snacks. Cake is one of the items, along with chips, soda, crackers, cookies, jello, tapas, etc. The cake is there. You don’t have to eat the cake. You don’t even have to look at the cake if you don’t want to. By having cake at my house, I am not “forcing my beliefs” about cake on you. The cake is merely there, because cake exists, and some people like cake.

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Example:

I do not have problem with any belief, religion etc… but i have a problem with a company who believes forcing their beliefs into their customers. Belief is private and personal

Suggestion:

I’m throwing a party and I have TONS of snacks. Cake is one of the items, along with chips, soda, crackers, cookies, jello, tapas, etc. The cake is there. You don’t have to eat the cake. You don’t even have to look at the cake if you don’t want to. By having cake at my house, I am not “forcing my beliefs” about cake on you. The cake is merely there, because cake exists, and some people like cake.

Please tell that to my friend Bob. He’s still mad about the non-tofu dogs I had at my bbq : /

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

DarkSyze.8627

Example:

Suggestion:

Food and Beliefs are 2 different thing. You can not compare food with beliefs. Did you know, people abuse: die for their beliefs? Who abuse: die for eating food: cake?

This is serious problem: please be serious!

Ankur

Posted by: ASP.8093

ASP.8093

Taking away Freedom Of Choice from your customers will never be acceptable or rewarded.

You want the freedom to choose… what, exactly? Whether trans people exist in the game or not?

That’s really weird, dude.

Nemain The Eyeless · [JOY] · Tarnished Coast · http://tcwvw.com

Posted by: Sarevok.2638

Sarevok.2638

I get the feeling many people here should be listening to a few of Sargon of Akhad’s youtube videos.

LandStander.7094

Example:

Suggestion:

Food and Beliefs are 2 different thing. You can not compare food with beliefs. Did you know, people abuse: die for their beliefs? Who abuse: die for eating food: cake?

This is serious problem: please be serious!

You missed the point. The point is that simply having a trans person in a game is not “forcing your beliefs” on trans people, like cake being at my house is not “forcing your beliefs” on cake. Just like in the real world: there are trans people. Them simply existing is not “forcing your beliefs”. You are still free to believe whatever you wish about cake, even if I have it at my house.

coso.9173

“I have all the right to hold my beliefs that black people are inferior and should not be allowed to be around white people, by having black people in game, you’re forcing your beliefs on me, and that is unacceptable”
random entitled person who has no idea what “enforcing a belief” means at all.

Posted by: kratan.4619

kratan.4619

I play this game to get away from real life, it is my escape, and when something like this is placed in the game then real life begins to intrude. The only thing about this is that this has caused an intrusion of real life into the game I play for an escape.

It does not matter if I ever even see the NPC, just the fact that it is apparently a controversial topic on the forums or in chat in game offends.

Since we are bringing the real world into the game then all the people who are crying transphobic to anyone who does not agree that this NPC is awesome, just remember that if even one person is offended, ANET needs to listen.

coso.9173

I play this game to get away from real life, it is my escape, and when something like this is placed in the game then real life begins to intrude. The only thing about this is that this has caused an intrusion of real life into the game I play for an escape.

It does not matter if I ever even see the NPC, just the fact that it is apparently a controversial topic on the forums or in chat in game offends.

Since we are bringing the real world into the game then all the people who are crying transphobic to anyone who does not agree that this NPC is awesome, just remember that if even one person is offended, ANET needs to listen.

away from reality? didn’t you notice that this game has war, poverty, cruelty, murder, orphans, politic plots, betrayals, etc? I mean you don’t seem to have a problem with ANY of those “real life” problems.

so why when another of these real life issues appears in game you think it doesn’t belong there? your escapism theory doesn’t hold ground.

LandStander.7094

“I have all the right to hold my beliefs that black people are inferior and should not be allowed to be around white people, by having black people in game, you’re forcing your beliefs on me, and that is unacceptable”
random entitled person who has no idea what “enforcing a belief” means at all.

^^^^This ^^^^

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

Example:

Suggestion:

Yay! Party at Ferretz’ house!

I’m glad there is cake in the world. And I’m glad that Sya is in the game. Even if some people are terrified of the idea, even if some people are angered, even if some people are threatened by her simple existence, I’m still glad she’s in the game.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Example:

I do not have problem with any belief, religion, sex, orientation etc… but i have a problem with a company who believes forcing their beliefs into their customers is a ok. Customer should have a right to decide what they want is acceptable and not what is acceptable for their interest in decision.

There is a time of place for everything

Belief is private and personal

Arena net should know better than that: i am very disappointed Arena net!! You are allowing ‘opening Pandora box’ for abuse and embarrassments. to your customers.This is criminal because if anything happen to them in real life; you will be responsible.

It is no one business what religion, sex, orientation, beliefs they are but creating a ‘gate-way’ for them to be target is Evil.

It is your Responsibility and Duty to protect your customers. It is your Priority to protect their identity

Suggestion:

Allow the npc to be selected in players personal and private guild hall.

I remember a story dating back to the time before American tv had minorities as real people, not Indian #3 in the credits. There was a show that had a black man starring in it and the reaction of some people who saw him was “What is that [bleep] doing on TV?” TV/movies had to continuously push to include people of all colors against the wishes of people who find not want them on there as they firmly believed they were not the equal of white people. They cried out against putting non whites in prominent roles in film.

Maybe you don’t think there is any correlation between keeping non whites out of the picture and keeping LGBT out, but maybe you should read some of the things said about black people in the past and how they weren’t equal, skin color in this case rather than gender belief or sexual preference.

(Do you remember Suhuru from Star Trek? The black woman? She related a letter she got where the man said he had nothing against black people and thought she was very nice, but he didn’t see why her role couldn’t be played by a white woman).

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

LandStander.7094

Example:

Suggestion:

Yay! Party at Ferretz’ house!

I’m glad there is cake in the world. And I’m glad that Sya is in the game. Even if some people are terrified of the idea, even if some people are angered, even if some people are threatened by her simple existence, I’m still glad she’s in the game.

Me too Aye. Me too :-)

DarkSyze.8627

You want the freedom to choose… what, exactly? Whether trans people exist in the game or not?

Who made this choice: you? Arena net should make a vote to their players of bringing sensitive ideas to the game.

My point is: any decision a company make must take safety of their customers as 1st priority. Race, gender, religion, beliefs should never exposed unless if the person chose too. Maybe not to force them but this idea is a trap to expose them, deceive them to think it is ok to expose who they are and not realizing that is only putting their life in danger. I believe people are responisble for their actions but not actions deceiving them, trapping them into getting them in trouble. That is all i am saying .

Ankur

(edited by DarkSyze.8627)

coso.9173

any decision a company takes usually has one reason: profit.
in these times it’s more profitable to be tolerant towards LGBT communities, and most companies are taking this approach.
So you’re sadly on the wrong side of the whole issue and with time you’ll be seen just as people now see racists i the 60s.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Who made this choice: you? Arena net should make a vote to their players of bringing sensitive ideas to the game.

My point is: any decision a company make must take safety of their customers as 1st priority. Race, gender, religion, beliefs should never exposed unless if the person chose too. Maybe not to force them but this idea is a trap to expose them, deceive the and puting their life in danger. That is all i am saying .

So, you’re saying that Anet should not create any new characters without first polling the community to determine said characters’ race, gender, beliefs, etc. Why is having ONE “transgender” character forcing something on the playerbase? Why isn’t having cat people forcing something on us? Why isn’t having any characters with a different skin color from our own forcing something on us?

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Videogames are slowly being recognized as a form of "art"*. One of the main functions of “art” in society is to recognize, propose and guide social change. One of the hardest responsibilities of any creator is to do this work in spite of conservative pressure, economical stress or personal risk. One of the common effects of this creation without fear is heated controversy.

GOOD “ART” MAKES PEOPLE DEBATE.

Excellent work with this, GW2 creators, you are doing great.

*Note: the word “art” is an awful, misleading, overused and abused word. I’m using it here because using concepts like “Beauty”, “Aethetic Experience”, “Symbolic Communication” or something like that would be even more misleading. Sorry.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

My point is: any decision a company make must take safety of their customers as 1st priority. Race, gender, religion, beliefs should never exposed unless if the person chose too. Maybe not to force them but this idea is a trap to expose them, deceive them to think it is ok to expose who they are and not realizing that is only putting their life in danger. I believe people are responisble for their actions but not actions deceiving them, trapping them into getting them in trouble. That is all i am saying* .

What if a person firmly believes that only their race is the race that should be shown? Should the game hide or remove all other races? Wouldn’t want to force or trick people into seeing other races now.

Maybe they should hide the Tyrian religions also. That might cause a fundamentalist anguish to see heathen religions around him. Wouldn’t want that would we?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

LandStander.7094

My point is: any decision a company make must take safety of their customers as 1st priority. Race, gender, religion, beliefs should never exposed unless if the person chose too. Maybe not to force them but this idea is a trap to expose them, deceive them to think it is ok to expose who they are and not realizing that is only putting their life in danger. I believe people are responisble for their actions but not actions deceiving them, trapping them into getting them in trouble. That is all i am saying* .

What if a person firmly believes that only their race is the race that should be shown? Should the game hide or remove all other races? Wouldn’t want to force or trick people into seeing other races now.

Maybe they should hide the Tyrian religions also. That might cause a fundamentalist anguish to see heathen religions around him. Wouldn’t want that would we?

That is why this game has no races or religions or genders; we all just run around as homogenous blobs with no individual thought or personality…. right?

Posted by: felessan.9587

felessan.9587

-“It’s a political agenda”: Is every straight character in a game a political agenda as well? Why would only lgbtq characters be part of an agenda while straight characters are not?

Let me refer you to the dialogue of the character. When they tell you about their choice, what is the player’s response, and ONLY response.

“That’s brave”

Really…? That’s brave?

Look at it this way: Sya is saying “I survived a horrific, life-altering wartime experience and it gave me a new appreciation for being alive. I decided I want to live the rest of my life honestly and freely.”

Yes, that is brave.

Suggestion:

Trans people existing is not a belief.

Posted by: remnant.2485

remnant.2485

Meh, can’t bring myself to be enthusiastic or concerned. It was done well, and isn’t jammed down our throats. I can see why some are reacting however- on some games, you’ll get posters making howling threads about how, if their particular demographic isn’t represented immediately, it means the dev supports bigotry.

That particular fork-in-brain nonsense makes people edgy and prone to overreacting when things like this happen. But really, that isn’t what happened in this case.

Best part about it for me? Next time one of those “If you don’t support my cause and concede to my thuggery, you are the ENEMY” pieces of crap roll in to town, there’s a nice, clear, unquestionable, tastefully done rebuttal to their particular brand of stupid.

And that’s worth every bit of code.

felessan.9587

My point is: any decision a company make must take safety of their customers as 1st priority. Race, gender, religion, beliefs should never exposed unless if the person chose too. Maybe not to force them but this idea is a trap to expose them, deceive them to think it is ok to expose who they are and not realizing that is only putting their life in danger. I believe people are responisble for their actions but not actions deceiving them, trapping them into getting them in trouble. That is all i am saying .

ArenaNet didn’t make some gateway for the purpose of entrapping people. If you hadn’t noticed, ArenaNet has very strong pro-LGBT tendencies. If that really offends you, you may want to reconsider where you spend your money.

felessan.9587

Last post for now.

Depending on the study but on average 2 to 7% of people identify as LGBT. So the fact that most games dipict the norm for upwards of 90% of people is shoving it down your throat.

My favorite part about SJWs, the idea that to include the minority one must exclude the majority or norm. It’s like the ‘gender is a social construct’ thing, even though that statement is kinda anti-transexual (because how can someone be born into a body that doesn’t match their gender if gender is a made up thing) and seems to ignore that our concepts of male and female are fairly normative. That is to say, most people born as biologically male have a male gender and like the ladies, and the other way around.
Then again this might just be one of those things I don’t get. Always willing to be informed however!

No one was seriously saying that cisgender heterosexuals must be replaced in and excluded from Tyria. It was hyperbole to demonstrate the ridiculousness of straight-washing the world. One can and SHOULD have representation from all corners.

What most relegated groups get offended by is when a discussion starts with celebrating representation of people who are traditionally told to stay silent and invisible, then told by the controlling majority that this is “their” space and that representing others in this space somehow disrespects them. Sound familiar, thread?

Tyria is not just “your space”; it’s ours too.

As for gender as social construct, start here

Easiest example of gender as social construct: every culture in the world has a different idea of what it means to be “a man” or “a woman,” not to mention how those ideas change over time.

If you think you can handle the big guns (and in no way do I mean this disparagingly; this stuff is DENSE), look up Judith Butler’s book Gender Trouble that pioneered the theory of gender performativity Not gonna lie, Butler is incredibly difficult to read.

Saying someone is “born” the wrong gender is technically incorrect; one is assigned a sex at birth (usually), and then typically raised to fit the gender identity that corresponds with that assignment.

Depends on how we define natural doesn’kitten If we define natural as being somewhat in line with norms, that is to say if normally happens a certain why and thus is the natural way, one would could argue that someone out of the norm would be abnormal or unnatural. After all unnatural doesn’t mean impossible, unnatural things do occur and thus their occurrence doesn’t inherently make them natural.
But there I go, argumentative again.

To say something is “unnatural” when there was no conscious choice involved is incorrect. Plastics are unnatural.

Take someone being born XXY (yes, it happens). This person wasn’t genetically engineered. They might not be normative, but it doesn’t make them unnatural.

Something to consider is the difference between “normal” and “normative,” which may help illuminate some of this discussion. Here’s a quick and dirty explanation of the differences

Depends again on how we define illness, we could define it as something that causes an abnormality (or we could define it as something harmful but that doesn’t fall in line with my train of argument… so I’ll just ignore it :P ), as homosexuality is not the norm (and thus by definition abnormal) we could in fact deduce that being homosexual was as a result of some sort of mental abnormality or illness.
Ok… I think I’m getting way too into this argumentative thing XD

The definition of illness or this one

Unless you really want to espouse the medically discarded view that being gay is somehow inherently bad for your health, no, you can’t argue that it’s an illness.

If this sounds like I’m talking like an academic, that’s because I am. I have a difficult time not seeing these nuances and distinctions anymore.

social change as in ending transphobia

Nah that’s silly.

Taking steps to help end unfavorable or alienating views is silly?

(edited by felessan.9587)

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I am ashamed to see there’s people thinking this is a big deal. And I mean shame on “behalf of others”.

Not only there’s people going through similar changes in real life, our characters have been doing it for ages ever since GW1. Asura have been probably having this as part of their culture even before humans had the choice. Remember the anatomical engineer? Nobody went bananas back then because people could give their characters a gender change.

It’s just part of the daily Life of Tyria. Something you see often enough not to make a big deal out of it. The response to the addition to that NPC should be something more like “So what? She got a Identity Repair Kit or used some mesmer illusion. I did that the other day. Now, someone doing that in real life, that has merit. There’s no 1000gem kits for that in real life.”

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Posted by: Crystallize.8603

Crystallize.8603

The issue I have; and I’ve spoken to my partner many times about this in the past is that a lot of the LGBT community wants to fit in. They want to be accepted and they want to be treated like everyone else. Which is their right and I don’t think there are many in the gaming community that really has an issue with that whatsoever.
At least; I’ve never met anyone that has any issue with my sexual preference though I’ve only mentioned it a few times to a few friends online.
I’ve personally never felt the need to tell people about it I’m not hiding it. I just don’t feel that in a game, I need to tell everyone about it.

Regardless of who I’m attracted to, if I’m homosexual or hetrosexual it doesn’t influence my gaming in anyway, it doesn’t influence my ability to play and it doesn’t change how I interact with people.

I don’t understand why a lot in the LGBT community feel they have to parade it around for everyone to see. Wanting to be accepted and wanting to be noticed are entirely different things.
Sure; needing rights and protection is a big thing in the US. Being able to be open about your sexuality is wonderful and I encourage it. But being open about your sexuality and parading it around for everyone to see is a different thing entirely.

The whole; Lesbian Living Story.. I don’t think that was anything other than Anet directly trying to be PC. Transgender NPC? PC gone mad.
I’m not saying all sexual orientations shouldn’t be included. Not at all. But it is main characters and it’s a lot of the story so it does feel it’s there for the sake of inclusion rather than to represent everyone.
“We have to include this or we’ll look homophobic” rather than “we believe that all sexual orientations should be represented”
That’s just how it feels to be personally.

I’m not against any sexual orientation; I just don’t see the need for anyones sexuallity to be paraded around like it’s a big deal for anyone but the individual, because it’s not.

Can mods please stop locking threads that are constructive.
Just delete posts that are derailments.

(edited by Crystallize.8603)

Posted by: May Haywire.3925

May Haywire.3925

Mesmer, huh? Expect the gender to be nerfed next patch.

Posted by: Kury.8210

Kury.8210

@ANet Forum Moderators: I’ve gotten several posts deleted due to quoting someone else’s post you chose to delete. Some admittedly needed deletion. However, you also deleted a very interesting conversation with nothing worse than the belief that being transgender is a medical condition. Other than the negative connotation associated with such a thought, he seemed respectful. (I could be wrong, but as you see I have no way of checking now. I agree some posts should be deleted, but perhaps whoever’s doing it is being a bit too zealous?

@DarkSyze: Funny you should mention this should have been voting on. While I think this is far too minor an adoption to deserve a vote, you may be surprised at the number who’d vote against you due to either supporting or not caring.

LandStander.7094

The issue I have; and I’ve spoken to my partner many times about this in the past is that a lot of the LGBT community wants to fit in. They want to be accepted and they want to be treated like everyone else. Which is their right and I don’t think there are many in the gaming community that really has an issue with that whatsoever.
At least; I’ve never met anyone that has any issue with my sexual preference though I’ve only mentioned it a few times to a few friends online.
I’ve personally never felt the need to tell people about it I’m not hiding it. I just don’t feel that in a game, I need to tell everyone about it.

Regardless of who I’m attracted to, if I’m homosexual or hetrosexual it doesn’t influence my gaming in anyway, it doesn’t influence my ability to play and it doesn’t change how I interact with people.

I don’t understand why a lot in the LGBT community feel they have to parade it around for everyone to see. Wanting to be accepted and wanting to be noticed are entirely different things.
Sure; needing rights and protection is a big thing in the US. Being able to be open about your sexuality is wonderful and I encourage it. But being open about your sexuality and parading it around for everyone to see is a different thing entirely.

The whole; Lesbian Living Story.. I don’t think that was anything other than Anet directly trying to be PC. Transgender NPC? PC gone mad.

I’m not against any sexual orientation; I just don’t see the need for anyones sexuallity to be paraded around like it’s a big deal for anyone but the individual, because it’s not.

Transgender NPC standing around in Lions Arch = parading around like it is a big deal.

Ok?

remnant.2485

Private company, their choice. You can’t cope? Vote with your feet. Welcome to freedom-ville. Population, Anet.

Posted by: Crystallize.8603

Crystallize.8603

Transgender NPC standing around in Lions Arch = parading around like it is a big deal.

Ok?

If you read what I wrote; maybe it didn’t come across quite as clear as I meant it to. (But we’ll never know for sure since you’ll just respond that you did read it all.) That I didn’t have an issue with the NPC at all.
My issue was more directed at some members; probably a tiny minority that are outwardly in my opinion screaming “I’m a part of the LGBT community, pay attention to me” which from my personal experience is just so counter productive :s

Can mods please stop locking threads that are constructive.
Just delete posts that are derailments.

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

The political correctness machine is at it once again. They have an agenda and don’t care who it offends. They laud themselves as “openminded” but will try to crush any opposing viewpoints. This thread has already been compromised when those posters who have concerns over the npc were encouraged not to post and advised to be respectful while the other side apparently can be as disrespectful as they want. This is social engineering. They want to model behavior. If you have a conversation with the npc your character has to say the npc is brave…. no other choice. ESPN did the same thing with awarding Bruce Jenner the courage award over a vet that had lost limbs in an ied attack. Agenda!!!!

LandStander.7094

Ok?

If you read what I wrote; maybe it didn’t come across quite as clear as I meant it to. (But we’ll never know for sure since you’ll just respond that you did read it all.) That I didn’t have an issue with the NPC at all.
My issue was more directed at some members; probably a tiny minority that are outwardly in my opinion screaming “I’m a part of the LGBT community, pay attention to me” which from my personal experience is just so counter productive :s

And what does that have to do with the NPC in Lions Arch? Did you hear her screaming “pay attention to me!!!!” while she was just standing there?

remnant.2485

“I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” – Voltaire.

You can take that one for whatever side you like. I love you knuckleheads.

coso.9173

“why does aNet threat both sides of the discussion differently?
some of us believe in rascism and that black people are inferior, we have all the right to post our thoughts too”
here’s a tip, if you change lgbt with black people and your argument sounds silly, it means it is silly.

(edited by coso.9173)

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Not being sexually attracted to anyone is also hardwired into the brain at birth too. I’m ‘fortunate’ that I’m mildly romantically interested in men and am ‘heterosexual passing’ but I went through my teenage years without an ounce of the horniness or interest in dating teens are known for. They tested hormones. They were normal. No trauma then to blame. It was just who I was and who I still am. There is no fix.

So it kittens me off when I heard anyone talking about ‘fixing’ LGBTQA folk. No, there is no fix. Don’t you think if it was that easy, it’d just be done? Who wants to be hated and mistreated constantly because of who they are or aren’t attracted to or their gender identity?

Also – WE are parading this issue more than Sya. Sya connected the dots so the character would know who she was before and how she knows them. And that’s it. Never mentioned again. Not a platform.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: Swizzle.7982

Swizzle.7982

that if even one person is offended, ANET needs to listen.

I like to imagine that that if we were in the 1800s you’d be “offended” that women were reading books.

Every day I wake up, look outside and think, wow, the world is full of kittening idiots. That offends me. Does that mean governments have to listen to me and lock up bigots like you?

If only.

The political correctness machine is at it once again. They have an agenda and don’t care who it offends. They laud themselves as “openminded” but will try to crush any opposing viewpoints. This thread has already been compromised when those posters who have concerns over the npc were encouraged not to post and advised to be respectful while the other side apparently can be as disrespectful as they want. This is social engineering. They want to model behavior. If you have a conversation with the npc your character has to say the npc is brave…. no other choice. ESPN did the same thing with awarding Bruce Jenner the courage award over a vet that had lost limbs in an ied attack. Agenda!!!!

Yeah, truly a terrifying and evil agenda: inclusion, acceptance and respect. Anet are like.. worse than hitler at this point amirite.

And judging by responses like yours I think society could use a bit more positive behavioural modeling.

(edited by Swizzle.7982)

Dashingsteel.3410

Trying to compare lgbt to race is ridiculous

coso.9173

when speaking about human rights and discrimination they’re very much alike.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Trying to compare lgbt to race is ridiculous

Totes. People of color have been (and still are) subjected to horrific torture, murder, injustice, etc. It’s not like gay, bi, or trans people have to worry about being tortured or murdered just for being gay, bi, or trans. And it’s not like lgbt people are ever discriminated against or have slurs shouted at them. Completely different!

/sarcasm

Dashingsteel.3410

race and a lifestyle choice are not the same