The Cantha Thread [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Darkmorphos.1530

Darkmorphos.1530

I would LOVE to see Cantha again in Guild Wars 2!

I HOPE NCsoft changes their mind!

Posted by: Jiraiyu.6947

Jiraiyu.6947

Guild Wars 2 needs Cantha!
I would also love to se Cantha return in GW2. I loved Factions and the whole oriental theme. Also Wooden Potatoes just released a great vid on canthan lore and the whole discussion about Cantha returning. Get ready for a nostalgia trip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thVuIZDdn80

I trust ANet will do the right thing and bring the beautiful world of Cantha back!

Posted by: Mattargul.9235

Mattargul.9235

+1 for bringing Cantha back. Oh, and also Shadow Form for my thief, plz.

lol j/k

The starter island was just amazingly beautiful. I still remember stepping out of the monastery the first time and getting killed by a baby karpa.

Dances with Leaves – Guardian – Sanctum of Rall (SoR)

Posted by: rajjy.4832

rajjy.4832

Posting again to show that I am STILL interested in seeing Cantha again. Make it happen!

Posted by: Pihlgren.7603

Pihlgren.7603

I was playing through Factions for the first time recently and I love the continent. I would really like to see what they might do with Cantha, how it has changed, and explore all the areas again but in GW2. Please bring it back, it would add SO much to the game!

Posted by: Ravie.5714

Ravie.5714

Factions was my first chapter that I played and it lured me into the rest of GW1. Would really want to see it make its return in GW2 (with Ritualist?)

Posted by: Shaft Master.9261

Shaft Master.9261

Please bring Cantha back! My favorite memories of playing Guild Wars are from playing in all the various regions of Cantha.

Posted by: wormik.5479

wormik.5479

Cantha represented everything I loved about gaming.
Don’t let it die along with my youth!

Posted by: Pihlgren.7603

Pihlgren.7603

Also, Cantha would be a great way to bring in Tengu a bit more, as I can imagine that Anet has some big ideas for that race in GW2 (the whole Dominion of Winds thing that we aren’t allowed into and stuffs). The Tengu is a great race and I’m sure that I’m not the only one wanting to see more of them, espescially on their own continent

Posted by: fenowy.5906

fenowy.5906

Oh c’mon, I loved Cantha in GW1. It would be a disaster not to see it again. Bring it back !!

Posted by: Robomath.3085

Robomath.3085

Save Cantha!

It would be a crime not to bring back the lore, beauty and overall great campaign you made with Factions.

Reckoner – SoR

Posted by: Black Sheep.2694

Black Sheep.2694

Bring Cantha back!

Posted by: DennisDervis.9503

DennisDervis.9503

I relly want to see cantha in gw2.

Posted by: Everglow.6790

Everglow.6790

Idea for addition of Cantha. New playable race. Tengu. Also new profession. Ritualist.

Please bring back Cantha. It was what originally got me into Guild Wars. It was a beautifully designed continent that kept me playing for hours! Plus, Dragon Empire vs Elder Dragons = legendary.

Posted by: Onigiri.5189

Onigiri.5189

Even GW2 as we know it now, is a mix of various “IRL cultures” : Nordic Norns, Aztec/Maya Asuras, steampunk (Victorian) Charrs, Gaelic/Celtic Sylvaris!!
I understand they’ve eluded those cultural images ( e.g. compare the Asura from GWEN and the Asura now… ), so why don’t we do the same for Cantha?! I would still LOVE to see Cantha in GW2, even if the Asian influences aren’t as recognizable as they were ( but god know how I love Asian cultures…).
Plus it could be an occasion for the artist to express other forms of their art ! In fact I think I could even MORE enjoy Cantha if it had the artistic flavors GW2 know has, thanks to the freedom the artists had…

Please, bring back Cantha in GW2.

Posted by: Melvin.3295

Melvin.3295

What no Cantha in gw2? I found it the most beautiful expansion in the guild wars series, the music, the theme and the story, why would you do this to us… Not to mention there is already alot of things from Cantha in Gw2 this would make no sense at all..

Kaname Tanuma – 80 Necromancer
Far Shiverpeaks – Bubblegum Dragons [GUM]

Posted by: Heizero.9183

Heizero.9183

Honestly, Guild Wars Factions is what got me started in the Guild Wars universe. it was by far my favorite campaign with my favorite lore. the continent was deep and profound and had much to explore with little explained compared to how much there aactually was. i think keeping Cantha out of GW2 would be an unfair PUNISHMENT to the player base. This game needs it. The players deserve it. I would definitely buy a new expansion pack to see the Jade Sea again and see how the things have changed for the Kurzicks and Luxons.

Commander Unyielding Shadow – Human Thief
Champion Shadow
Better Luck Next Time [BLNT]-Sea of Sorrows

Posted by: Bailey DELUX.6051

Bailey DELUX.6051

It wouldn’t be a true sequel if we couldn’t at some point revisit Cantha, please do this!

Posted by: EngineerG.3265

EngineerG.3265

Please bring back Cantha! I was looking forward to seeing the Jade Sea unpetrified and especially the Canthan dragons.

Posted by: soboard.6974

soboard.6974

It would be a shame not to add Cantha. Please use this thread as the proof you need to bring it back.

Posted by: Disdroid.6109

Disdroid.6109

Guild Wars was the first MMO that I played, Factions the first part of it that I bought. I didn’t know what treasure I held in my hands back then, I didn’t know anyone who recommended the game to me. I was looking for a new game, the box said “no subscription fee” and that was enoth for me.
Now I get nostalgic when i remember the people, landscapes and enemies that I faced as an elementalist. I’d love to see what has become present on the now distant continent.
I miss you Cantha.

Posted by: Kyankukkiwon.1038

Kyankukkiwon.1038

Yup I want Cantha + over 9000

Posted by: timos.6754

timos.6754

TBH i have never playd gw1 …. but i have seen and heard soo much from cantha and elona and they r bouth quite beautyfull and just to throw them away would be such a shame ….. plz Anet… it will be worth it puting those back in the game and to just give gw2 a NEW face .. with an african <elona> or an Asian <cantha> exotic look, the game would have alot more diversity to it … and im sure that would give a pay off for u as company since the fans r surely gona like it

Posted by: Moonstruck.3612

Moonstruck.3612

I will add my voice to the vast chorus and hope the outcry will not go unheard.

Every since I first played in the very first beta weekend a year ago one of my thoughts, while marveling at the incredible beauty of Tyria in GW2, was how much I can’t wait to see what Cantha looks like with the improved graphics and artwork. To think that it might never happen truly saddens me.

I know there is prejudice between the Korean, Japanese & Chinese cultures due to centuries of war between them. But please don’t let that taint the beauty that is Tyria. Let Cantha stand as a testament to all that is beautiful and amazing about Asia and it’s cultures.

Posted by: Lediath.7593

Lediath.7593

I will also add my +1 for this.

Please please PLEEEASE add Cantha.

Absolutely loved the PVP aspect of that expansion

Posted by: Kaaboose.3897

Kaaboose.3897

Just adding my voice to thoese that would love to see Cantha some time in the future of GW2.

Posted by: pikpikbak.9207

pikpikbak.9207

Cantha was what originally got me into the series. I fell in love with the idea of the ritualist and the ancient mysticism involved with Cantha, as well as the stark contrast between Kaineng City and the rest of the region.

I’d love to see what’s happened since the Ministry of Purity took power and the isolationist and xenophobic tendencies broke out. I’d love to see what the Jade Sea looks like after the true death of Shiro Tagachi, assuming the effects of the Jade Wind are undone. I’d love to see what’s happened regarding the Kurzick and Luxon nations.

ArenaNet, you’ve given us a great, beautiful setting with Cantha, and your players would absolutely love to see it come back.

Posted by: Isende.2607

Isende.2607

as has been posted, and posted, and reposted, the guild wars experience will NOT be complete without, at some point, revisiting cantha. i, more than most, understand the near-xenophobia of asian cultures toward other asian cultures, and that’s all i’ll say about that. but, even with that consideration, you have to think of a few things here:

the majority of your playerbase is NOT asian
the majority of your playerbase IS from gw1, and has played through the canthan expansion
the entirety of your playerbase IS responsible for any monies made

ncsoft holds your publishing. i get that. but without your players, ncsoft has nothing … nor have you.

Posted by: Keir Bhaltair.5197

Keir Bhaltair.5197

As the most interesting, nostalgic, breath-taking, artistically brilliant and overall memorable continent of the original game, it would be a terrible shame not to enrich the new world with all that Cantha has to offer.

Posted by: Crylos.2169

Crylos.2169

I want Cantha in Guild Wars 2! I want to see how the No-Longer-Jade Sea and No-Longer-Petrified Forest became after Shiro’s Hold waned. It would be a shame not to be able to explore that continent.

tl;dr: GIEF CANTHA NAO! I’ll gladly pay for a Canthan expansion!

Posted by: The Clumsy Tengu.6210

The Clumsy Tengu.6210

Cantha was such a bold and beautiful land. It was unlike anything I have experienced in a fantasy game. After Prophecies, Factions was such a nice blend of new ideas and it had me so captivated. I love how well they captured the culture, the style, and the music. Playing Factions made me so excited about the next chapter because I wanted to know what cultures and ideas ANET would be exploring now. It really saddens me that they are not able to recreate that in GW2 in any way. I love the Guild Wars universe and I am deeply invested in its lore. I think I speak for most people when I say that variety in culture is always better. It brings about a sense of realism and vastness to the land. I understand that GW2 is not focused on the humans like GW was, but I am 100% sure that ANET could incorporate the other races into Cantha some how. I remember before GW2 came out, I was already very excited at the opportunity to return to Cantha and other lands that I was so deeply invested in in Guild Wars. I understand that game play is the core part of the game, but I wish the lore was more available and incorporated into the majority of the game because ANET really has created an amazing world with Guild Wars.

Posted by: Alexwentworth.8269

Alexwentworth.8269

If the concern is in giving offense to Asian audiences, why not just change Cantha’s architecture/culture? This breakaway from the melting pot of Asian influences would give a wonderful opportunity for new storytelling, and would likely appease those who felt their culture was unfairly represented in the first game.

Cantha could now be a hostile, xenophobic dystopia (which is where the story seemed to be going), or maybe the culture of kaineg city will have become so metropolitan and modern to have supplanted and marginalized old cantha. Or perhaps Luxon/Kurzik influence reshaped the continent.

My point is, I’d be willing to pay good money for a Canthan expansion, and i think that this gives Anet a unique storytelling opportunity.

Posted by: Aukstums.2876

Aukstums.2876

Cantha must be brought to life.
I would buy that expansion in a heartbeat.

Posted by: Eternal Optimist.4618

Eternal Optimist.4618

I never understood the point behind Factions, and I could never find anyone to play “the Deep” with me.
However, I did like Cantha, and hope that it comes back at some point in the future.

Posted by: ritchie.1592

ritchie.1592

I feel like i’ve been living under a stone: cantha is not going to be in gw2 ?!?
No echovald forest slowly comming back to live :-(
No jade sea half melted :‘-(
No Kaineng city O.o
How can you trow all that lore, all that culture and all those posibilitys for great story’s away like that?!? I liked cantha far more than elona, not that i would ever want to switch one for the other. Why can’t we just keep both? I realy don’t understand this decision.

Posted by: ZetaWolf.7261

ZetaWolf.7261

I understand that there is a lot to add into Kryta but I myself do hope for Cantha. GW1 was so great at first then I saw the Factions expansion and I loved it spending days battling in AB, JQ, and FA. The Tengu especially would be amazing they have such potential to be a playable race I’d even delete a lvl 80 just to have one but I understand if they decide not to add it anytime soon since theres so many things in Kryta self unsolved. Really hope they add Cantha as an explorable continent though I imagine exploring the jade sea unfrozen would be quite strange.

Posted by: Miles Umbrae.5310

Miles Umbrae.5310

It would feel like a beautiful, colorful and fascinating part of the GuildWars world just out of reach, taunting those that want to know what has happened to Cantha after these 250 years…

Posted by: CeleOOKIE.5046

CeleOOKIE.5046

I understand that Tyria and the Elder Dragons need to be dealt with but, after watching Wooden Potatoes’ Canthan video, I can’t wait to get back there. I want to see what’s happened to the Jade Sea, how reunited the divided Kurzicks and Luxons are, and what happened to the Tengu that lived there and did they know that the Dragon threat was (again) rising.

Posted by: Blacksmith.8679

Blacksmith.8679

Not having Cantha would be a disgrace! Such a culturally rich people (the represented in-game and IRL) deserve to be a part of this game.

Censorship through power-play is never a good thing!

Posted by: ijyt.3014

ijyt.3014

I have to say, a possible first expansion back being in Cantha is what excites me most about the future of Guild Wars 2. With the issues with the Destroyer and probable destruction of Asura gates, it’d be amazing to explore xenophobic or isolationist ideas with Cantha, and see the progression of Echovald Forest and the Jade Sea with the defeat of Shiro.

I think ANet is smarter than to lock-off an amazing amount of potential land for an expansion pack, and for new playable races such as the Tengu. I sincerely hope this is just a baseless rumour as Cantha was by far my favourite locale of the first series, and Kaineng City had such an imposing yet breathtaking presence I won’t soon forget.

Posted by: Archemorus.6987

Archemorus.6987

Arena net I beg of you, please make Cantha. In my history of playing guild wars, I had never been so immersed in the lore of a game until I travelled to Cantha. The war of the Luxons and the Kurzicks was what caught my devotion and I have yet to see a game do quite the same. In guild wars 2, my character (Seaguard Archemorus) would like nothing more than to return to his home in the Jade sea and fight for his spear. The diversity of the continent and the ability to create such a vibrant and unique world was what made me love canthi and it would be a huge disappointment not to see how the lore has played out in the years since Shiro’s demise. So just to let you know, I absolutely would love to see an expansion with Cantha, and I hope you accept that almost all of the guild wars 2 community, both veterans and newbies, would agree.

Posted by: omar.2763

omar.2763

Factions have the best lore !!! and that’s the main reason why I think gw2 need to bring cantha back, the asian cultrure would bring great weapons to the game with amazing armors and dungeons. I really can’t wait to see how the echovaled forest and the jade sea will look like in gw2. PLEASE we need Cantha back!

Posted by: JonaDraculia.9675

JonaDraculia.9675

im a long time player of GW i started back in proph and since then my personal favorite is the faction part of the game. one of the best story and pvp and it get me excited even today to play the faction story so plz anet i understand the tecnical dificulties but made this possible plz. cantha is a big part of the gw world and the story of gw2 fates to be broken without this magestic continent and cultural rich story

i aprove cantha in gw2

Posted by: Charles Peter Nystrom.5923

Charles Peter Nystrom.5923

To have Factions not come to us in Guild Wars 2 due to political correctness is an insult. An insult to all other cultures that “aren’t special enough” to be kept from lore. All the cultures in the Guild Wars universe are blended versions of several cultures, and if this happened with all nationalities we would never have lore in video games at all!
It hurt to find out that I couldn’t look forward to an expansion to Cantha. Factions is where we first see the idea of peace between races as a major theme in the lore, which is now a central theme in Guild Wars 2. In a game that is about bringing people together despite their differences, why are we bringing it apart?

Posted by: Dawn.6428

Dawn.6428

Cantha has such an amazing culture to share, and for it to be removed for its culture is awful. This is a case of censorship going too far. Why does the culture of a video game matter to a real country?

Posted by: yakobu.4183

yakobu.4183

I’d really love to see Cantha in GW2. It was my favorite part of GW1

MBP 13", Early 2011, 2.7 GHz i7, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB, OS X 10.8.2

Posted by: Safire.1736

Safire.1736

I really loved Cantha, not only for its rich flavor and cultures, but I also miss the lush music and story! Please bring Cantha back, maybe even as soon as the next expansion?

Posted by: dtzy.5901

dtzy.5901

Just watched the lore video about Cantha and it was very interesting and would like to see it in the game.

Haven’t played GW (unfortunately) but from what I’ve been seeing/reading, GW2 took a hit in the lore department for more dynamic gameplay. On a side note, the gw2 human storyline was a train wreck..

Right now though, I just hope that ANet improves on the existing lore since the implementation really sucked that I have not bothered to go all the way in the personal story line.

BG~

Posted by: Luin.9156

Luin.9156

Please add in at least some of Cantha for us! Even if it takes a few years, it’s fine, I’m patient!

Posted by: Xenigma.4305

Xenigma.4305

Count me as another huge fan of Factions who would love to see Cantha (or at least Canthan culture) return. While I was a fan of the original game from the earliest beta events, for me the original campaign was merely good, and not great as I had hoped. Factions was a complete breath of fresh air: the amazingly realized world, the epic soundtrack, the introduction of two very cool professions, the genuinely awesome villain, the player-driven Luxon/Kurzick conflict, and so much more. It all came together to make a truly spectacular package, and one that captivated me far more than the Prophecies campaign ever could (nor either of the two campaigns to follow).

Having Cantha excised from GW2 as it currently stands is certainly disappointing, but thankfully it does leave room for some spectacular new content. Obviously Tyria has changed dramatically in the 250 years since EotN. Just imagine what has happened within the closed-off society of Cantha over the same period! I’m just imagining the fun of some insane jumping puzzles in an updated Kaineng City, or exploring Echovald Forest and the Jade Sea post-Jade Wind, or simply enjoying a Canthan New Year celebration back in Shing Jea Monastery.

Then of course there’s the Tengu of the Dominion of Winds, which could easily carry some Canthan flavor without even having to leave Tyria. While I would certainly hope to see the area open up as part of a full return to Cantha, having the Tengu race and what remnants of the culture they brought with them isn’t a terrible consolation prize if Cantha simply isn’t meant to be. I always did treasure my Tengu mask from the Factions release because of all the good memories attached to it.

We know Guild Wars 2 expansions are coming, so please, know that we want to see Cantha! Take a few years if need be: just bring it to us and I’m sure we’ll be asking you to take our money.