The Cantha Thread [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Ogres are closely based off of “Oni” from Japanese folklore. Yet they are featured as one of “humanity’s enemies” inside the Queen’s Pavilion.

This is a metaphor that Asian cultural influence threaten the “universal” depiction of humanity.

It’s a subliminal metaphor for ArenaNet telling us Asians are not “universal” enough for the human race!

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

Posted by: Draconicus.7564

Draconicus.7564

With all this “fuss” about “asian mixed lore”,can some one that plays yet GW1 can confirm pls if all the normal events from Factions still exist, or was them removed?

I’m thinking particularly in the Canthan New Year event that takes place somewhere in February…with all that “lore” about the Chinese Zodiak, it must be removed already!!!
I hope not tough… … …

Posted by: Anemone.8913

Anemone.8913

Ok, I haven’t read this thread in ages, but wasn’t it already confirmed that the only person who had any issues with Cantha and Asian culture in gw2 (who worked in NCsoft) isn’t even working at NCsoft anymore????

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Rooftop free running anyone?

You totally have my attention now. I remember all these roofs and amazing mazes of streets. I always got lost in Kaineng.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Draconicus.7564

You totally have my attention now. I remember all these roofs and amazing mazes of streets. I always got lost in Kaineng.

Just imagine all the amazing jumping puzzles possible in Kaineng Slams!!:P

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Not sure if anyone’s added it yet, but I found a Canthan related book in Divinity’s Reach called “The Winds of Change.”

“Contact with Cantha was finally lost when the flood from Orr’s rising disrupted trade.”

“They’ve closed their shores to us and left us to fight the Dragons alone. To the Mists with them.”

What that means is that even if Cantha were to ever “return”, it would come back to the tune of disdain from the current Tyrian territories due to the abandonment in hard times.

This would something I’d like to see addressed when they introduce cantha. It’d be nice to be a part of easing the tensions between the two sides. I don’t think this should be drawn out too long, but it can’t have gone unnoticed by the world that cantha became a isolationist nation. Also I’d like to see an in with existing characters and to see more comradery develop between more npcs and us as players (this mysterious group of heroes/explorers). Some characters in Guild Wars 2 have to have links or been to Cantha, or even be from Cantha. Perhpas involve the Order of Whispers in communicating with the other npc who’s developed a bond with us the players. That npc that knows of Canthan events in combination with the order of whispers or maybe the LA council can be a big part of how Tyria reconnects with Cantha.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Posted by: Lickage.7318

Lickage.7318

WE NEED CANTHA!!!!

Kaelyn Nightfall – Sylvari Ranger
Server: Gandara
Note: English is my second language

Posted by: matjazmuhic.1649

matjazmuhic.1649

The more I play gw2 and read the forums the more I want to go back to gw1. I think the time to replay gw1 has come.

On topic: WE! WANT! CANTHA!

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/13/4325904/guild-wars-2-expansion-pack-is-being-prepared-says-ncsoft

To those that have been eagerly waiting, the wait is over =D

I’m sure the fanatics out there are already aware but to the rest, NCSOFT has announced that a GW 2 expansion is underway, source is in the top of my post.
Launch date and details are still unknown but this is good news none-the less. My best guess is 2014 at the earliest.

Posted by: Chak Sabersting.8359

Chak Sabersting.8359

Cantha was such good times. NEED IT BACK!

Shorty Norn = As close to Dwarf as possible

— All Is Vain—

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/13/4325904/guild-wars-2-expansion-pack-is-being-prepared-says-ncsoft

I’m sure the fanatics out there are already aware but to the rest, NCSOFT has announced that a GW 2 expansion is underway, source is in the top of my post.
Launch date and details are still unknown but this is good news none-the less. My best guess is 2014 at the earliest.

That article was from May. Since then, Anet changed it so that there’s bi-monthly content updates. So our “expansion” is the Living Story.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

ZilentNight.5089

If thats true, thats gonna be a shame.

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

Cantha was by far my favourite land to explore. They were all great but the music in cantha was just brilliant.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Kovac.4372

Kovac.4372

Well they did say Queen’s Speech holds a big surprise for us! Maybe an expansion? Queen Jennah might announce contact with Cantha was established? That would be so awesome. NO. That would be the MOST AWESOME thing arenanet could do right now

Mark my words – THE MOST AWESOME thing they could do. I’ll elevate them to God status if somehow it actually happens.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Well they did say Queen’s Speech holds a big surprise for us! Maybe an expansion? Queen Jennah might announce contact with Cantha was established? That would be so awesome. NO. That would be the MOST AWESOME thing arenanet could do right now

Mark my words – THE MOST AWESOME thing they could do. I’ll elevate them to God status if somehow it actually happens.

If that happens, I’ll buy a plane ticket to Seattle, and give Colin a big kiss. But then offer a fist bump to reinforce our manliness.

Edit – or I’d offer him a bro hug

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Draconicus.7564

Queen Jennah might announce contact with Cantha was established? That would be so awesome. NO. That would be the MOST AWESOME thing arenanet could do right now

He He! Fully agree mate!
That was the best news i can think EVER!

If that happens i will buy 10, GW2 games, an will give them to 10 friends with economic problems that do not play the game just because they can’t buy it!!

Posted by: Captain.1348

Captain.1348

If that happens, I’ll buy a plane ticket to Seattle, and give Colin a big kiss. But then offer a fist bump to reinforce our manliness.

Edit – or I’d offer him a bro hug

Don’t lie there would be tongue…
But in all seriousness… If we get Cantha I would pretty much do anything ANET wanted of me… and I mean ANYTHING!!!

Posted by: Bolthar.7192

Bolthar.7192

I think that Humans are humans and they should not be separated by nationality. I do support the addition of Cantha however. I just hope not to see a new “race” added that is just humans with different customization options. It would be interesting to be able to select different types of humans and Charr – maybe a type that still stands straight and proud – and the other playable races in character creation if this was to be included in an expansion at some point.

Posted by: Kovac.4372

Kovac.4372

I think that Humans are humans and they should not be separated by nationality. I do support the addition of Cantha however. I just hope not to see a new “race” added that is just humans with different customization options. It would be interesting to be able to select different types of humans and Charr – maybe a type that still stands straight and proud – and the other playable races in character creation if this was to be included in an expansion at some point.

Well the way they did it in GW1, depending on where you would start as a lv1 character (Tyria, Cantha or Elona) you would get slightly different character creation options … such as different facial presets and hairstyles. They will probably do the same in GW2 if the two continents took place on standalone campaigns/games OR if Cantha required the original GW2 to be purchased they would probably just expand the current character creation options.

Oh and they must add the Tengu as a playable race if they give us Cantha … this goes without saying.

Posted by: Hka.3942

Hka.3942

Even if they don’t give us Cantha (or at least not first) they HAVE TO add the Tengu, I’ve been dying to play one since launch even more so since I red in the making of Guild Wars 2 book that they were considered as one of the playable races at the launch of the game but were cut out. I really want to play as a Tengu Anet, please. :’(

ZilentNight.5089

While I really wish Queen Jenna is going to share such news, it would make more sense if someone from LA would make this announcement as Tengu city is in the South-West end of the Lions Arch

Then again, it will be an extremely big deal if this is how Anet intends to suprise it’s player base. Amazing work Anet, 4 more days till the queen’s speech!!! fingers crossed

Casts Rebirth to bring this thread back to life!

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

One can only dream about feeling the “Jade Wind” on their characters face.

One. Can. Only. Dream…

Posted by: Gmr Leon.1846

Gmr Leon.1846

Don’t get your hopes up too too much guys. That’s what made the unpleasant people that still lurk about these forums. We don’t need more of them. =O

On that note…I’m somewhat hopeful too. Aetherblades assault Kryta, suddenly out of nowhere, tengu support squads! “But why?” “The sky belongs to the tengu! They sully it with their dishonorable attacks!” “…How did you learn to fly?” ~supersketchyspeculationtime~ “We caught some Zephyrites landing in our Dominion, and upon speaking with them, we learned they held no aggressive intent. We then inquired about their form of flight, to restore our people to their rightful home, and they taught us. Until recently, we have kept it secret to avoid conflict with the other nations, but as our traders reported pirates from the sky, we could no longer stand to remain hidden.”

Talon Silverwing on tengu lands…

Grydd, asuran engineer perpetually gathering materials.
Member of The Archivists’ Sanctum [Lore], a guild for lore enthusiasts.
The Adventurer’s Log!

Posted by: Hka.3942

Hka.3942

Don’t get your hopes up too too much guys. That’s what made the unpleasant people that still lurk about these forums. We don’t need more of them. =O

On that note…I’m somewhat hopeful too. Aetherblades assault Kryta, suddenly out of nowhere, tengu support squads! “But why?” “The sky belongs to the tengu! They sully it with their dishonorable attacks!” “…How did you learn to fly?” ~supersketchyspeculationtime~ “We caught some Zephyrites landing in our Dominion, and upon speaking with them, we learned they held no aggressive intent. We then inquired about their form of flight, to restore our people to their rightful home, and they taught us. Until recently, we have kept it secret to avoid conflict with the other nations, but as our traders reported pirates from the sky, we could no longer stand to remain hidden.”

Talon Silverwing on tengu lands…

You said to not get our hopes up and then you get our hopes (mine at least) even higher :’(

And I believe some Tengus also talk about reaching the sky in GW2. Also at the end of the personnal story A Tengu from the pact (the blacksmith I believe, I can't remember his name) says that with Zhaitan defeated, we have proven worthy and the Tengus might join us in our fight, not as a whole but some might.

(edited by Hka.3942)

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I wonder if they can pull off a huge “living story update” that’s just a free expansion with Elona/Cantha in it? That would be amazing. The Christmas morning effect would be tenfold.

Posted by: Zayd Akira.1942

Zayd Akira.1942

If NCsoft was upset at the generalization of Asian culture in the Canthan expansion with GW1 and didn’t want to see this happen in GW2, then why did they make Aion, which is a generalization of pseudo-euro/christian beliefs? Not to mention its not like they did it only to Asian culture, they also did it to African/Arabian, and European culture, in fact there was an expansion in the works for GW1 that would have done the same thing with Incan/Aztec/Mayan culture (Utopia). Do they really expect Anet to individually separate, copy and implement entire cultural aspects of specific Asian peoples? I just don’t understand their motive in telling Anet to stay away from anything resembling Asian influence. It couldn’t be racially motivated because it just doesn’t make any sense. Unless what Josh previously suggested is the case (previous producer at the time requested it, and it happened and now he might be gone for “reasons”) in which case, I must say that producer is a resounding bookah for letting his personal feelings effect project success and possible financial return.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Ogres are closely based off of “Oni” from Japanese folklore. Yet they are featured as one of “humanity’s enemies” inside the Queen’s Pavilion.

This is a metaphor that Asian cultural influence threaten the “universal” depiction of humanity.

It’s a subliminal metaphor for ArenaNet telling us Asians are not “universal” enough for the human race!

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

The representation of Ogres in GW seems very much derived from, based on, or at least influenced by fictional or mythological European references that predate any contact with Japan.

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

If NCsoft was upset at the generalization of Asian culture in the Canthan expansion with GW1 and didn’t want to see this happen in GW2, then why did they make Aion, which is a generalization of pseudo-euro/christian beliefs? Not to mention its not like they did it only to Asian culture, they also did it to African/Arabian, and European culture, in fact there was an expansion in the works for GW1 that would have done the same thing with Incan/Aztec/Mayan culture (Utopia). Do they really expect Anet to individually separate, copy and implement entire cultural aspects of specific Asian peoples? I just don’t understand their motive in telling Anet to stay away from anything resembling Asian influence. It couldn’t be racially motivated because it just doesn’t make any sense. Unless what Josh previously suggested is the case (previous producer at the time requested it, and it happened and now he might be gone for “reasons”) in which case, I must say that producer is a resounding bookah for letting his personal feelings effect project success and possible financial return.

In bold.

My guess is that they probably caught some flack in the first game due to mixing S.Korean/Chinese/Japanese cultures into one big melting pot.

Korea, China, and Japan all have major issues with each other. While stationed in Yokosuka, Japan, we were always told not to talk about China or S.Korea with Japanese Civilians. Basically, they all dislike ( putting it lightly ) each other because of past war crimes, namely in WWII.

Screw the history lesson; Google please.

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

The representation of Ogres in GW seems very much derived from, based on, or at least influenced by fictional or mythological European references that predate any contact with Japan.

No, I’m pretty sure Ogres are former Canthans that got corrupted by dragon magic, the evidence speaks for itself.

Posted by: niki king.3904

niki king.3904

to have cantha and elona back would be so awesome.And i hope if they bring them back to add classes like dervish or ritualist they were 1 of my favourite things in gw1.I just cant imagine how epic it will be.

WE WANT CANTHA AND ELONA

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

So any news on Cantha and elona? Did our qq thread do anything so far considering it’s the bigest and most viewed or posted thread this forum ever had?

Would be nice to hear some news however small it might be, from anet.

Draconicus.7564

Would be nice to hear some news however small it might be, from anet.

You bet, my friend!!
I will be most happy if that happens, and in a positive way:P

Posted by: Zayd Akira.1942

Zayd Akira.1942

In bold.

My guess is that they probably caught some flack in the first game due to mixing S.Korean/Chinese/Japanese cultures into one big melting pot.

Korea, China, and Japan all have major issues with each other. While stationed in Yokosuka, Japan, we were always told not to talk about China or S.Korea with Japanese Civilians. Basically, they all dislike ( putting it lightly ) each other because of past war crimes, namely in WWII.

no need to google i know what you’re talking about, but still, that’s messed up, that’s total favoritism and special treatment. tons of African cultures and European cultures hate each other and we loop them all together too. The Asians shouldn’t get special treatment.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

While Ossan Quarter has some Elonian inspiration in its architecture and Rurikton Ascalonian, there’s no Canthan.

So it’ll be nice if now that there’s no Zhaitan, human refugees started appearing in the coasts, and traveling to Divinity’s Reach, and they ended up in the Western Quarter. And since there’s not enough buildings, well, they would build, slowly turning the quarter month by month, into a more Canthan-like district, starting with the wall section, that would get ragtag houses attached one another with uneven architectures and mismatching materials, and some more houses on top of the existing ones as added floors, with green roofs with vegetable patches that remind of Shing Jea. And as roofs connect to each other with boards and create a shade, mushrooms and ferns would be planted by those who came from Echovald, creating underground gardens that remind of Echovald. And in the middle of the district, reminding of the Jade Sea, a green fountain shining with with a jade floor, made by people who brought small pebbles of jade with themselves, one by one.

Just imagine the slow process, almost unnoticeable over the years.

That’ll make 3 districts inspired in the other 3 known remaining human civilizations, in alternate sections of the city.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: matjazmuhic.1649

matjazmuhic.1649

I hope it’s something that connects us a bit to Cantha.

Come on! Who wouldn’t love to smell the salty, dry air of the jade sea and earthy, wet, yet fresh air of Echovald forest?

Posted by: Hicci.8761

Hicci.8761

Might as well throw my 15 chars of support. Give us Cantha!

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

And this doesn’t happen in Europe, since we’re all a big loving family with no past incidents on the scale of WWII… oh wait.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: SoraLink.5749

SoraLink.5749

I just came here from a link in this video description http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thVuIZDdn80 . And I just want to post a comment saying that Anet definetly needs to add Cantha in the game. It was the best part of the game in my opinion and a lot of other people’s opinion. I really hope that this all gets figured out and we can get a Cantha Living Story chain (like flame and frost). I’m really happy that in the dead sister human story-line that we could have picked to be Canthan, but I want to go to Canthan again. I just loved Factions so much and Winds of Change ended on a cliff hanger, because I want to see what Cantha is like now. I would be thrilled if anything involving Cantha (especially going there) were to be announced.

Copestetic.5174

And this doesn’t happen in Europe, since we’re all a big loving family with no past incidents on the scale of WWII… oh wait.

I never implied that at all. Please, don’t put words in my mouth. Was Europe the inspiration of the Factions campaign? No.

Copestetic.5174

In bold.

no need to google i know what you’re talking about, but still, that’s messed up, that’s total favoritism and special treatment. tons of African cultures and European cultures hate each other and we loop them all together too. The Asians shouldn’t get special treatment.

I agree, but with ANet wanting to expand it’s audience to China, it could potentially cause problems if implemented prior to reaching China. I’m going to assume they’ll be doing some surveys at their Chinese audience to see if there’s interest, or more importantly, a bunch of people PO’d at the thought of their culture merging with two ( if not more ) others.

This is, of course, just my thoughts on the issue. But regardless, when doing something like that, they do need to be careful. China is a huge country with a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot of people. That means a lot of money that could potentially be made if they go about it in a subtle way.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Aaaand just like that, at the prospect of having to see Kaineng City again, I’m not behind this idea. No, seriously, I really was not fond of that part of Factions, I was more a fan of the stone forests which were slowly recovering and the sea which was turned into solid jade.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Copestetic.5174

Aaaand just like that, at the prospect of having to see Kaineng City again, I’m not behind this idea. No, seriously, I really was not fond of that part of Factions, I was more a fan of the stone forests which were slowly recovering and the sea which was turned into solid jade.

Kaineng City, assuming there even is one anymore, would most likely be vastly different. We’re talking 200+ years different. Just like LA, Divinity’s Reach, and all other areas that have changed drastically in one way or another. I doubt the ole’ Hong Kong slums would be even there. It wasn’t my favorite part either, but it did look very much like Kowloon, and I enjoyed it simply because of that.

Either way, Cantha as a whole is a much different place than what we know about it from Guild Wars Factions. Echovald is de-petrified, and the Jade Sea isn’t so jaded anymore. All-and-all, I, and possibly millions of other players would be greatly disappointed if Cantha’s not revisited. It’s just too big to write off like that.

If anything ANet, if there is a problem with merging East Asian cultures to form Cantha these days, you could consider just focusing on one specific culture, like China. Personally, I think China would be the best route anyways. Mainly because you’re trying to market the game there.

(edited by Copestetic.5174)

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Kaineng City, assuming there even is one anymore, would most likely be vastly different. We’re talking 200+ years different. Just like LA, Divinity’s Reach, and all other areas that have changed drastically in one way or another. I doubt the ole’ Hong Kong slums would be even there. It wasn’t my favorite part either, but it did look very much like Kowloon, and I enjoyed it simply because of that.

Either way, Cantha as a whole is a much different place than what we know about it from Guild Wars Factions. Echovald is de-petrified, and the Jade Sea isn’t so jaded anymore. All-and-all, I, and possibly millions of other players would be greatly disappointed if Cantha’s not revisited. It’s just too big to write off like that.

200+ years ago, Divinity’s Reach didn’t exist But I do get your point . . . my point was that people imagining freerunning the slums as awesome was not as appealing to me. I mean, I do like my jumping puzzles from time to time.

(Except for the northern one in Southsun Cove with the steamvents.)

But I really don’t like that spot. My apologies, it was both interesting and boring at the same time. I mean, sure it felt like slums and like a city which had been active and restructured several dozen times. But on the other hand, it all kinda blurred into one bit lump in my awareness as I ran through it dodging Afflicted. Or, later, Ministry.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Bambi.1809

Bambi.1809

Please, give us Cantha!

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I think whole of Cantha and/or Elona needs to be a lvl 80 area. Even the endgame of this could be build around ascended items. It makes no sense to do hearts and stuff like that with you veteran char does it?

Draconicus.7564

I think whole of Cantha and/or Elona needs to be a lvl 80 area. Even the endgame of this could be build around ascended items. It makes no sense to do hearts and stuff like that with you veteran char does it?

Yes it does mate! But just if we can create new “Canthan” Chars!

Draconicus.7564

About the new Zodiac weapon skins…They are based on the old Zodiac weapons that only dropped in GW1, Factions, elite missions: Urgoz’s Warren and The Deep.

Can this be viewed as a good sign to a future Cantha!?
Or are they giving us this kind of things just to make us happier, knowing that Cantha will never be done?
What you guys think?

Posted by: Bloody Zac.8960

Bloody Zac.8960

Absolutely loved Cantha in GW1. I’m all about returning to the Jade Sea.

Long Live the Luxons!

Copestetic.5174

200+ years ago, Divinity’s Reach didn’t exist But I do get your point . . . my point was that people imagining freerunning the slums as awesome was not as appealing to me. I mean, I do like my jumping puzzles from time to time.

(Except for the northern one in Southsun Cove with the steamvents.)

But I really don’t like that spot. My apologies, it was both interesting and boring at the same time. I mean, sure it felt like slums and like a city which had been active and restructured several dozen times. But on the other hand, it all kinda blurred into one bit lump in my awareness as I ran through it dodging Afflicted. Or, later, Ministry.

Doh! You’re right, it wasn’t Divinity’s Reach, it was Divinity’s Coast. Oopsies. That sucks! And here I was thinking I was pretty solid on the lore of GW. Oh well.

I agree though, navigating KC was a pain. I still got lost, turned around, completely going the wrong way etc…almost 7 years in. It took a really long amount of time for me to personally appreciate KC as a whole, but I really understand where you come from. The old Afflicted were annoying, and amazingly, pretty solid due to their Ritualists and Monks even if they were running a Smite/Prot hybrid. The updated ones made me want to QQ while finally finishing Cartographer. Even in NM those darn things were pretty tough for Sabway since their Necros could steal Minions ( was never a fan of Discordway ). Luckily I finished prior to PO’ing the Ministry, otherwise I probably wouldn’t have even finished.

I think the area in Factions that has me most excited to see redone, is probably Shing Jea Island, and the Jade Sea. I was always partial to Luxons, and hardly sided with the Kurzicks. While the art was nice for Echovald, I loved the Jade Sea because of all the eye candy it held ( old ships stuck in the water, huge waves that were about to crash into things, and I think it was a squid stuck in the Jade in one of the maps ). I just thought it was a work of genius lol.

Posted by: KeybladeMaster.3148

KeybladeMaster.3148

The forest unpetrified would be amazing to see. same with watching the jade sea melt.