The Cantha Thread [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Yandrak.9741

Yandrak.9741

I strongly support your post. Factions was the best and that login screen… How much I miss it!

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

If Cantha came back as a kittening futuristic region with cars and skyscrapers and neon lights I would literally uninstall.

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

If Cantha came back as a kittening futuristic region with cars and skyscrapers and neon lights I would literally uninstall.

I would too, in all honesty.

Posted by: Calsifer.6079

Calsifer.6079

Guise, waht r u doin? I found this on the 5th page D;

Ninja Stokk – Thief. CD.

Posted by: citypigeon.6358

citypigeon.6358

OMG the music T.T
time to go cry to sleep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I17ZUalbY9s
..unless they bring back Cantha

IGN: zestalyn
zestalyn.tumblr

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

I like how people are keeping this thread alive. Its nice to see

Posted by: AngelMouse.7345

AngelMouse.7345

Please, please bring Cantha to GW2. So many good memories and so many more to be made

“Sometimes, in madness resides genius.”

Posted by: Therock.2458

Therock.2458

Take my money, my girlfriend, my neighbour’s dog. I don’t care but please bring cantha and elona back ingame those where the best parts of gw especially the dervish class and stuff. Even new races are a possibility? The tengu ,…

Anyway i hope you do add these regions, Anet

Posted by: ShunsuiKouKyoraku.9106

ShunsuiKouKyoraku.9106

Cantha was by far my favourite land to explore. They were all great but the music in cantha was just brilliant.

This times a billion and a half

~De Oppresso Libre~
Shunsui Kou Kyoraku~Thief |Afro Claptrap~Warrior|Korra Jorradóttir~Elementalist
Zaraki Bladebreaker~Guardian|Mikasa Ackkermann~Mesmer

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Holy Mother of Cantha!

Posted by: Shew.6827

Shew.6827

For Cantha! I worked on a GW2 Canthan theme this week out of nostalgia and support for Cantha in GW2.

Unfortunately, I misplaced my keyboard-to-PC cable…so, this is the best I could do recording it with my cell phone.

Posted by: Keitaro Dragonheart.9047

Keitaro Dragonheart.9047

I think I’ve already added my support, but I’ll do it again! Cantha was easily my most favorite region in Guild Wars.

Oh and just for kicks:

Dat nostalgia. ~_~

Posted by: Samuli.7852

Samuli.7852

I too have already posted on this thread, but after listening to the video in Keitaro’s link above, I had to post again. I just can’t explain the feelings I get when listening to the Factions theme. I get the chills and feel so happy and peaceful at the same time. And I get so excited when I think what ANet could do with Cantha in GW2: the scenery could be absolutely gorgeous and the music could be so beautiful.
For Cantha!

Copestetic.5174

I think I’ve already added my support, but I’ll do it again! Cantha was easily my most favorite region in Guild Wars.

Oh and just for kicks:

Dat nostalgia. ~_~

I…man, this is embarrassing, but where is that song heard? I can honestly say in nearly 7 years of GW, I can not for the life of me, say I’ve heard it prior to this.

Posted by: KarlusDavius.1024

KarlusDavius.1024

I’d love to see cantha back. Anything from gw1 I would love to see. But if it does, it can only come back under the condition that I get to play a dervish again. Give me my dervish back!!!!

Cmdr. Kiro Heimdahl
Warrior
Far Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Shew.6827

Shew.6827

I…man, this is embarrassing, but where is that song heard? I can honestly say in nearly 7 years of GW, I can not for the life of me, say I’ve heard it prior to this.

When Factions came out, it was the login screen’s tune. Now you can hear it if you go to the in-game store and click on Factions.

Copestetic.5174

When Factions came out, it was the login screen’s tune. Now you can hear it if you go to the in-game store and click on Factions.

Ahhhh, I see. Thanks. I remember the Nightfall screen, as NF had literally just been released when I started playing. I think there was a ship in the background on the ocean and a cliff. That’s about all I remember.

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

In a Matt Visual interview a dev rumored Cantha(or Cantha themed content) may come through Living Story(the Bazaar is arguably Canthan content).. I don’t know if this is positive since that would probably mean it would be temporary. There is just so much juicy lore that can be made in Cantha , like the Jade Sea and Petrified Forest stories. What about the dragon’s? Did some of them visit Cantha? We know the trade routes were cut off because of them and the new Emperor. The Luxon and Kurzick were erased. Maybe there are a few secretive Luxon or Kurzicks still out there.

I would rather they expand Tyria’s globe to fit in Cantha. I really don’t remember where Cantha lies in Tyria.

This project would be long term because of the scope and actual size of the continent. Either they have some secretive team working on it , or they are just trying to get the fans to forget about Cantha. Like it didn’t exist. Which is like a kick in the face to the fans who actually like lore.

champ.7021

In a Matt Visual interview a dev rumored Cantha(or Cantha themed content) may come through Living Story(the Bazaar is arguably Canthan content).. I don’t know if this is positive since that would probably mean it would be temporary. There is just so much juicy lore that can be made in Cantha , like the Jade Sea and Petrified Forest stories. What about the dragon’s? Did some of them visit Cantha? We know the trade routes were cut off because of them and the new Emperor. The Luxon and Kurzick were erased. Maybe there are a few secretive Luxon or Kurzicks still out there.

I would rather they expand Tyria’s globe to fit in Cantha. I really don’t remember where Cantha lies in Tyria.

This project would be long term because of the scope and actual size of the continent. Either they have some secretive team working on it , or they are just trying to get the fans to forget about Cantha. Like it didn’t exist. Which is like a kick in the face to the fans who actually like lore.

That guy said its a possibility. he said theyre looking into it. On the other hand CJ was quiet about it. So either its a major suprise which i doubt but i would be very happy to see. Otherwise its never going to happen. I wouldnt get your hopes up especially since they are trying to release the game in china i doubt they will include a stereotypically asian area like cantha.

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

(personal opinion alert!!!)

It seems to me that Mai Trin is Canthan, or at least “looks” Canthan…
Wiki Link here: Mai Trin

I can’t believe that the story arc that had her in it will be the last we see of her, nor do I believe that she just “appeared” out of the blue to help with the political intrigue.

In my imagination, I see her as being a key link to Cantha in some future story. I think it would be awesome if she were our way into Cantha.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

There has been a lot of “Asian” type NPCs in towns lately.

And I have a feeling that there’s an asura Gate to Cantha in the Dominion of Winds. Just saying…

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

That guy said its a possibility. he said theyre looking into it. On the other hand CJ was quiet about it. So either its a major suprise which i doubt but i would be very happy to see. Otherwise its never going to happen. I wouldnt get your hopes up especially since they are trying to release the game in china i doubt they will include a stereotypically asian area like cantha.

Isn’t Tyria basically a stereotype of Western culture? I just don’t see how showing Asian structures or lifestyles is a bad thing.

I for one am not offended by the Western style of the current game so why would any Asian be offended by Asian content? Its not like we live in the past where everything is sacred.

I am pretty sure it does not matter where you are from if you are a gamer. Usually gamers are open minded and aren’t offended by cultural influences in games. Cantha is Cantha.. Not Asia. The buildings and other things can be just pure coincidental.

Copestetic.5174

Isn’t Tyria basically a stereotype of Western culture? I just don’t see how showing Asian structures or lifestyles is a bad thing.

I for one am not offended by the Western style of the current game so why would any Asian be offended by Asian content? Its not like we live in the past where everything is sacred.

I am pretty sure it does not matter where you are from if you are a gamer. Usually gamers are open minded and aren’t offended by cultural influences in games. Cantha is Cantha.. Not Asia. The buildings and other things can be just pure coincidental.

Got to keep in mind, that the majority of Western countries are a melting pot of different peoples/cultures. Whereas Asia, is not. It’s the xenophobic mind-set that is the main problem, followed by all three ( the big ones that are the inspiration behind Cantha ) just generally not liking one another enough to have “their” respective cultures mixed together; even if it’s just a video game.

champ.7021

@Chewables
I honestly dont know if thats why there not making cantha. I really hope they do. Personally i wouldnt be offended by it and i cant imagine anyone who would be but i think they are considering the impact cantha would have on their sales in china.

Copestetic.5174

@Chewables
I honestly dont know if thats why there not making cantha. I really hope they do. Personally i wouldnt be offended by it and i cant imagine anyone who would be but i think they are considering the impact cantha would have on their sales in china.

I’m 99% sure that’s exactly what they’re doing. Once GW2 goes live in China, they’ll put their feelers out to their customers, and gauge the interest of an Asian-themed expansion/LS update. We’ll likely never even hear anything of it, regardless of the results. Depending on the feedback, then we’ll hear a for sure “yay” or “nay”.

Putting this game out there to China is huge for ANet. If China doesn’t like Cantha, we’ll never see it within GW2. Bits and pieces of “news” from the continent, sure. But nothing that will amount to more than that, in risk of upsetting what could quite possibly PO a larger amount of players than here in the U.S. and Europe.

In all honesty, it’s one of those “hope for the best, expect the worst” type of things. But thinking about it, it’s just not likely if it purely rests on the shoulders of East Asian consumers.

Posted by: Zanthrax.6538

Zanthrax.6538

If you look at both matt visuals interviews with colin and the other dude ( can’t remember name ) if you honestly look at that….and see the way the video editting is done taking into consideration the living story projection where they said they want to include more kitten about the dragons…just the way colin refuses to say anything and the editing specifically done for that….that was planned obviously….as such…its completely logical to suspect something about cantha coming…easily by the end of the year. Don’t fret people.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Well if it does come out, I will buy it in a matter of seconds. Bring it on.

Posted by: Sirgreydono.9502

Sirgreydono.9502

Please bring back Cantha and Elona!

-Kaineng
Character: -Proudwulf- Human- Guardian

champ.7021

i actually liked elona better than cantha bc of how interesting it looked. like the hanging gardens of babylon also tormented weapons!!!

Posted by: Belle.4509

Belle.4509

I think it would be in the companies best interest to include cantha and elona on the map. Some people are saying “ugh no I want new content”, but it would be both new and revisited. How amazing would it be to walk through the ruins of a dead or almost dead culture? Especially for players who played gw1 to see what happened to their favorite cities. While I enjoyed the story line of elona more, cantha was such a beautiful place and I would love to see it again, even if the people have gone insane or it’s in shambles. Plus; Jade Sea are you kidding me? How great would that look now? Just think…new themed armor…bad kitten lost professions….and maybe some tengu race to play? Kormir’s story after she became a worshiped deity in guild wars 2 could be elaborated by opening up elona as well. So much could be done for new and old players alike.

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

@Chewables

Wouldn’t it be a positive impact on sales? Gamers are a new generation IMO, they like experiencing content that resembles cultures from all over the world even if it is mixed.

I don’t know if anyone was offended by Cantha in GW1 so why would anyone be offended by it in GW2?

Copestetic.5174

@Chewables

Wouldn’kittenbe a positive impact on sales? Gamers are a new generation IMO, they like experiencing content that resembles cultures from all over the world even if it is mixed.

I don’t know if anyone was offended by Cantha in GW1 so why would anyone be offended by it in GW2?

But there were people offended by Cantha in GW1. That was/is the issue. There was a quote either in this thread, or on Guru saying that Korea wasn’t too pleased with the merging of the cultures of Japan, S.Korea, and China.

If we get to go back to Cantha, they’re going to have to stick with one culture, and the safest bet would be Chinese.

Posted by: Sirgreydono.9502

Sirgreydono.9502

I would love to see what has happen on shing jea island and to see what happened with the Luxons and Kurzicks

-Kaineng
Character: -Proudwulf- Human- Guardian

Posted by: Hex Kor.4089

Hex Kor.4089

I neeeeed a Cantha expansion!
We need this expansion, do not deny us the rest of the world you made us fall in love with in GW1!

Visit us at Tarnished Coast!
The Unofficial NA Roleplaying Server!

Posted by: Megis.9264

Megis.9264

My main has Canthan ancestry. Would love to have her running around, exploring the land her forefathers called home.

Posted by: Loony.3865

Loony.3865

Bring Back Cantha!!!!

Or at the very least do not discard it! If you have something better planned we are all for it.

champ.7021

@Chewables

Wouldn’t it be a positive impact on sales? Gamers are a new generation IMO, they like experiencing content that resembles cultures from all over the world even if it is mixed.

But there were people offended by Cantha in GW1. That was/is the issue. There was a quote either in this thread, or on Guru saying that Korea wasn’t too pleased with the merging of the cultures of Japan, S.Korea, and China.

If we get to go back to Cantha, they’re going to have to stick with one culture, and the safest bet would be Chinese.

Or what they could do is use all three cultures just separate them. So like when you start out in cantha you’re in china and as you move east you can go to other continents/areas that would have a japanese/korean culutre. That would be really cool because then Anet could expand cantha.

Posted by: Mikuchan.7261

Mikuchan.7261

That guy said its a possibility. he said theyre looking into it. On the other hand CJ was quiet about it. So either its a major suprise which i doubt but i would be very happy to see. Otherwise its never going to happen.

http://youtu.be/Jy7CcwnfUdU?t=3m23s
That is a link to the time in the interview with Matt Visual where he asks about Cantha.
That smirk says more than a thousand words.

And you know…
http://youtu.be/Jy7CcwnfUdU?t=26m23s
Can.. ca.. Cantha.. is.. a place!

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

That guy said its a possibility. he said theyre looking into it. On the other hand CJ was quiet about it. So either its a major suprise which i doubt but i would be very happy to see. Otherwise its never going to happen.

http://youtu.be/Jy7CcwnfUdU?t=3m23s
That is a link to the time in the interview with Matt Visual where he asks about Cantha.
That smirk says more than a thousand words.

And you know…
http://youtu.be/Jy7CcwnfUdU?t=26m23s
Can.. ca.. Cantha.. is.. a place!

Stop playing WoW and start playing GW2.

(If you are currently thinking, who the hell is this person that just replied to me, you happen to carry a name of a person that used to be a good friend and fellow officer of mine in GW1)

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Posted by: Mikuchan.7261

Mikuchan.7261

I’m mostly wondering why “hell” isn’t filtered… But yeah, that too.
No idea who you are, sorry, I’m the one and only Mikuchan and everyone else is an impostor.
Also I do not play WoW as WoW is bad. Bad bad. Bad bad bad bad bad… Bad.
But no, I was not your officer.

champ.7021

hmmm a smirk does not say more than a thousand words. I think hes smirking because everyone always asks him about cantha so he almost expects it….
anyways i dont want to go analyzing a video to see every little facial movement cj makes.

and who the hell is that person who just replied to you

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

I miss Cantha and everything associated with it…especially my ritualist and the dance parties.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

champ.7021

I miss Cantha and everything associated with it…especially my ritualist and the dance parties.

That almost made me cry. The dances in gw1 were so amazing!!!

Copestetic.5174

That almost made me cry. The dances in gw1 were so amazing!!!

I agree on the dances. Wish there were profession based dances like in GW1 instead of race based.

Posted by: TheJokester.4672

TheJokester.4672

My main has Canthan ancestry. Would love to have her running around, exploring the land her forefathers called home.

This ^ also honestly if we never get cantha I will stop playing it is my one hope I didnt start with gw1 prophecies I started with cantha most of my time is in cantha after I completed the other games I went to cantha that’s where I hung out and farmed when I didnt go fow or uw it litterally sold the game to me I disliked elona and tyria the only thing elona had that I wanted was torm weapons that’s it the rest of my fav things came from UW and cantha with like 3 armors total from eotn and proph honestly they will lose players either way with or without cantha I for one have put more money in the game than I care to say and the anet support team knows this because they had to lift my spending limit 6 times in one week where i exceeded the MONTHLY spending limit which is somewhere over $300 can’t remember where or it might have been $300 question is do they want to lose out on 1800 a month from me and others like me (each) or on the others? not trying to be racist but people in my build got hacked by chineese gold farmers that sell gold for rl money ie taking from the company.

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

As an Asian, I would love to see American culture being portrayed in GW2 by a race and a city. It would be very entertaining to see Wild West cowboy tropes being perpetuated and adds to the diversity of the GW2 universe. Just saying.

Well, that wouldn’t really fit with the world they’ve created so far … with the Charr they’ve gone a bit Roman military/heavy European-American industrialization of the 19th-20th century.

But the Wild West did influence alot of American culture and you still see that in their psyche today.

When we’re done with that we can make a bunch of Faerie whorshipping, warring, alcoholic clansmen to pay homage to my celtic roots … oh wait, we already have that. I guess I didn’t notice ‘cause, ya know, it’s a game and the stereotypes aren’t hurting anyone. ;P

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Posted by: EnragedCaribou.5780

EnragedCaribou.5780

Just wanted to add my voice and my support. Bring back Cantha! It is and was an incredible part of the original game, a game that I played since release. Lore, architecture and music, it would be a waste to let it all go. Let it return

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Isolationist policies usually result in the opposite, where the isolated nation is left behind by the rest of the world.

False, actually. The U.S. had an isolationist policy up until World War II when we were forced out of seclusion due to the attack on Pearl Harbor, and was the fastest progressing nation in the world both industrially and artistically. Cantha could be the same way, opened up by the rise of Bubbles who guards the Unending Ocean.

Bad example, the Canthan isolation is more along the lines of the Edo period in Japan.

Even still: look at Cantha 250 years ago, then look at America 250 years ago. The progression from 1763-2013 is amazing, and it shouldn’t be terribly far-fetched to think that a society with the aid of some magic could match or even outmatch the real world’s progression in the last 250 years.

That’s paraphrasing a quote regarding lore by Angel McCoy. Seems my theory of isolationism resulting in mass growth may not be too off after all.

Posted by: KeybladeMaster.3148

KeybladeMaster.3148

one day i want to see the echovald forest unpetrified and the jade sea melted

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

i’m also in this crowd. i want to see cantha again. I would think that this would give anet a chance to play with some asian themed legendaries as well as general content. not to mention i’d like to just be able to explore the jade sea again. (and possible explore the now ruins of kurzick buildings in the echovald forest. maybe even jump puzzles.)