The Cantha Thread [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: larv.3456

larv.3456

With the new patch we got some info from Cantha?

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

When we get 3000 posts maybe some dev will come and post a single sentence reply on Cantha.

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

When we get 3000 posts maybe some dev will come and post a single sentence reply on Cantha.

Wishful thinking. The devs are trying to forget Cantha even existed. Or have you not been paying attention?

Posted by: Nat.4029

Nat.4029

befoe they add cantha, they should first complete Tyria..

theres way too much left open of Tyria…

• The whole Maguuma Jungle
  • The whole Crystal Desert
  • The whole Fire Ring Islands
  • The whole North of Shiverpeaks and all of the old EotN Map Parts
  • The whole Deldrimor Territory
  • The Dominion of Winds and the whole Sea of Sorrows/Strait of Malchior Area

Tyria just feels again, like in GW1, as if just only like basically 40% of the whole Continent is explorable.

So Tyria > Cantha for now first.

I wouldn’t mind them going back and forth to be honest. Release some of Cantha, then come back to Tyria. It’d be a nice change of scenery and gameplay.

Valar Morghulis

larv.3456

Nat.4029 yepp would be fine! +1

larv.3456

I just leave this here: The Call Of Cantha
https://soundcloud.com/easchaefer/the-call-of-cantha

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

I just leave this here: The Call Of Cantha
https://soundcloud.com/easchaefer/the-call-of-cantha

Oh man that brings back memories.

One thing GW1 did really well that got lost in GW2 is environmental or scene creation. Wherever you went you really felt like you were somewhere unique. Everything fit, from the scenery, the music, the creatures etc. That experience started with the epic log in screen music and background scenery and only ended when you logged off.

In GW2 you kind of have a mess of a lot of different themes and concepts in each map and the end result is that they lack coherency. One of my favorite updates was the Bazaar of the Four Winds map. I felt like that map had a blended whole that the rest of the game lacks.

Also the dark, gloomy, eerie nature of GW1 with the small sprinkle of hope that you the hero brought, that crept through at different parts in the music was just so perfectly done.

Posted by: KeybladeMaster.3148

KeybladeMaster.3148

WOW such Cantha.

Hope soon. Need. wow

Nick.6972

It’s really sad to see Arena Net ignore Cantha.
People are asking for it, people would gladly buy it, but no, better make all their people pump out as much mediocre content as it’s possible.

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

I’ve just about given up on Cantha, Elona, or anything beyond what we currently have in GW2. I’m convinced the elder dragons had Scarlet build them a space ship and they left to another universe (probably ESO or KUF2). I wouldn’t be surprised if ArenaNet/Scarlet randomly sent us the following in-game mail.

“Hello meddling child,

Just for the lulz, I invaded/destroyed Cantha and Elona. Palawa Joko is no more. Cantha is a crater. So yeah, me me me. <insert that annoying maniacal laugh here>.

Sincerely,
Scarlet "

It would be sad, but they do have every right to do that since it is their intellectual property. We are just the customer.

It’s a well known fact that Cantha and Elona are among the most requested, nay, demanded additions to the game. ArenaNet has supposedly stated before, more than once, that they have no intention or desire to bring back Cantha or Elona. I personally haven’t seen anything concrete regarding this, but I will believe it to be true because that’s just the way ArenaNet has been coming across for a while now: anti-canon

I think I even heard that the reason is because ‘Asian/African/Middle Eastern’ themes are offensive, and NCSoft wants no part of that. If that really is the case, then that’s just said. Political correctness has overtaken creative expression and sensible moral judgement.

I guess we’ll see within the next 5 years, assuming GW2 is still going at that time. Anything could happen, I suppose. It’s okay to hope, but I wouldn’t linger on it. For now, let’s just focus on destroying Scarlet (man she has it coming) so we can turn our attention to the next threat that is not an elder dragon. I bet it’s more karka.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

I’ve just about given up on Cantha, Elona, or anything beyond what we currently have in GW2. I’m convinced the elder dragons had Scarlet build them a space ship and they left to another universe (probably ESO or KUF2). I wouldn’t be surprised if ArenaNet/Scarlet randomly sent us the following in-game mail.

“Hello meddling child,

Just for the lulz, I invaded/destroyed Cantha and Elona. Palawa Joko is no more. Cantha is a crater. So yeah, me me me. <insert that annoying maniacal laugh here>.

Sincerely,
Scarlet "

It would be sad, but they do have every right to do that since it is their intellectual property. We are just the customer.

It’s a well known fact that Cantha and Elona are among the most requested, nay, demanded additions to the game. ArenaNet has supposedly stated before, more than once, that they have no intention or desire to bring back Cantha or Elona. I personally haven’t seen anything concrete regarding this, but I will believe it to be true because that’s just the way ArenaNet has been coming across for a while now: anti-canon

I think I even heard that the reason is because ‘Asian/African/Middle Eastern’ themes are offensive, and NCSoft wants no part of that. If that really is the case, then that’s just said. Political correctness has overtaken creative expression and sensible moral judgement.

I guess we’ll see within the next 5 years, assuming GW2 is still going at that time. Anything could happen, I suppose. It’s okay to hope, but I wouldn’t linger on it. For now, let’s just focus on destroying Scarlet (man she has it coming) so we can turn our attention to the next threat that is not an elder dragon. I bet it’s more karka.

This is such a sad, cynical point of view. What is more sad is I must share the sentiment, although to be fair, I blame NCsoft. Anet would never say it, but I think their stance of saying “We haven’t decided whether to do a traditional expansion or deliver an expansion-worth of content in small pieces” is due to NCsoft not giving them the financial backing they really need to do a full-blown expansion. These little living world updates are all Anet can afford to make using revenue from the gem store. NCsoft is too busy giving games like Wowstar their financial backing.

Edit: By the way I’d like to point out that Anet never stated they have no intention of revisiting cantha or elona. They simply said they haven’t decided. The stink came back before launch when Anet released a screen shot of early Divinity’s Reach which had asian buildings in it. Some asians thought the architecture was somehow offensive because there were mixed styles that “shouldn’t” be combined. It was just racial bigotry and artistic ignorance if you ask me. However, someone in charge (probably NCsoft) decided it had to be removed to appease potential customers, and so Anet removed the asian buildings. Since then, there’s been a stigma against anything Canthan, and it seems like either NCsoft or Anet doesn’t want to risk an asian backlash.

It’s a kitten shame when freedom of expression is taken away because of a few vocal, potentially bigoted groups who have nothing better to do than look around for things to be offended by.

We can only hope that NCsoft eventually notices the demand for Cantha and Elona and allows Anet to proceed.

(edited by Xenon.4537)

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

Source on what ArenaNet said regarding revisiting Cantha/Elona? I’ve not seen anything on it anywhere. It’s like Cantha and Elona do not exist outside of GW1.

And I don’t blame NCSoft, but rather NCSoft’s largest shareholder, NEXON. NEXON is the father of free-to-play-pay-to-win. The largest shareholder in a company has the most say about where the money goes. If NEXON says “No expansions for GW2.”, ArenaNet has their hands tied and can’t do anything.

I’ve suggested once before that ArenaNet should be it’s own publisher, but I’m guessing that’s impossible.

My ‘cynical’ views are not unwarranted, though.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Makes me wonder what Elona and Cantha would look like with the current engine. If the zypher sanctum was a preview of some of it I cant wait.

Posted by: Nivelis.8763

Nivelis.8763

yup, we need Cantha!

Kaineng City was not good but overall Factions expansion was good. With teaser of how Jade Sea would look now I just can’t wait to explore it all!

New Echovald Forest with some talented 3d artists and good money for music and effects can be easly one of the best locations in all mmorpgs ever. In GW1 it was very atmospheric and long remembered, use this good concept well and thousands of players will come to see it new graphics

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

listen to this and try to say it’s not needed, i am sure you just want to return to GW1 and play in cantha again.
it’s a really fun place to go trough, allot of things you see is based on RL asia and it also feels that way.
it’s an environment rich with lore and history, it blooms with legends and untold stories, something tyria doesn’t have (in GW2 that is, GW1 tyria looks allot better).

Posted by: RaM.8523

RaM.8523

I’ve heard that too and maybe as a generic white caucasian guy I should feel offended too by this generic- caucasian- renassaince style the pulled out for humans..

sorudo.9054

I’ve heard that too and maybe as a generic white caucasian guy I should feel offended too by this generic- caucasian- renassaince style the pulled out for humans..

it’s actually not the case, the reason why not is because Korea and China can’t accept their architecture to be mixed together, that’s the reason why Anet can’t make cantha anymore.
childish i know, i don’t think they can stop Anet when they only use what they already have.

Nat.4029

listen to this and try to say it’s not needed, i am sure you just want to return to GW1 and play in cantha again.
it’s a really fun place to go trough, allot of things you see is based on RL asia and it also feels that way.
it’s an environment rich with lore and history, it blooms with legends and untold stories, something tyria doesn’t have (in GW2 that is, GW1 tyria looks allot better).

The music in GW1 was SO much better. I think Jeremy Soule gave everything he had to Skyrim instead of GW2. It seems to me like he was scoring them both around the same time. The best music you’ll hear in GW2 is the music that was carried over from GW1.

Speaking of awesome Factions music, this one was always one of my favorites. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu-JuwAIKyo

Valar Morghulis

Posted by: Linnea.5146

Linnea.5146

it’s actually not the case, the reason why not is because Korea and China can’t accept their architecture to be mixed together, that’s the reason why Anet can’t make cantha anymore.
childish i know, i don’t think they can stop Anet when they only use what they already have.

That’s definitely not enough of a reason, they can just make everything Chinese (or Japanese, or Korean), or split the groups up lore-wise. It shouldn’t be hard to justify a relatively small change like that with a time-gap of 250 years, I’m sure they can write a passable story to justify that if it’s too obvious. (Actually, I never noticed anything Korean, just the sometimes crude mix of Japan and China. xD) I like the pan-asian setting though.

Nick.6972

I wonder, did Chinese or other Asian nations find Republic City in Legend of Korra offensive? Of course not.
250 year, perhaps Kaineng has subways, Skyscrapers, electricity and everything.

Posted by: Ikorolch.8421

Ikorolch.8421

Screw Cantha, I hope they add in Quagnaria the homeland of the Quaggans before they moved to the Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I wonder, did Chinese or other Asian nations find Republic City in Legend of Korra offensive? Of course not.
250 year, perhaps Kaineng has subways, Skyscrapers, electricity and everything.

The difference is that Korra was intended for a US/Western audience (and is an awesome show!) whilst GW2 is being released in China – it’s mostly China that has issues with their culture being melded with that of other Asian nations.

Nick.6972

I’m sorry for generalizing, but, Chinese or Japanese, for most that would make no difference – architectural styles, culture, etc. Make the Cantha based on China.

Posted by: Lankybird.8149

Lankybird.8149

Inside joke for great collapse? Not good.

Posted by: lazygiant.4902

lazygiant.4902

I think ANET should include Cantha into GW2. It was my favorite expansion to the first game and I think it would be a great xpac to this game aswell

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I’m happy to see this thread is still going strong after one year. Gw2 really needs Cantha (and of course also Elona) back.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Nat.4029

I’m happy to see this thread is still going strong after one year. Gw2 really needs Cantha (and of course also Elona) back.

I’d love to see Cantha updated, and see how it’s changed over the last 250 years. Although Nightfall was my favorite of the expansions, Cantha was the more beautiful land.

Valar Morghulis

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I’d love to see Cantha updated, and see how it’s changed over the last 250 years. Although Nightfall was my favorite of the expansions, Cantha was the more beautiful land.

Elona will probably look like the desolation right now. I have no idea what Cantha looks like after 250 years, but if the empire is still in control it’s probably like gw1, but without the Kurzicks and Luxons.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Mikuchan.7261

Mikuchan.7261

If NCSoft is still going on about that old business, then Bazaar of the Four Winds was a big middle finger straight to their face.
If not, then that’s why Bazaar of the Four Winds existed, to give us a taste of how Cantha can look.
The architecture of the Zephyr Sanctum is heavilly based on Kaineng and the overall Labyrinthine Cliffs map, dispite being in Tyria, is heavilly Cantha and asian-inspired. The vegetation, the houses, the countless rice lamps.

It could very well be ANet saying “Here take this and be quiet while we work.” as a teaser for what is to come in a future, sooner or later. Although I still have a hard time seeing it come before the end of the dragon era, unless Cantha sends for help to get rid of one of their very own elder dragons, having heard from the Zephyrites that Tyria has the power to slay elder dragons.

Also related: https://soundcloud.com/arenanet/sanctumsprint

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I think it’s about time that we have a Cantha CDI. We need to work with the Devs to come up with a way to get this added to the next Living Story.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

If you kitten of Anet enough they might bring back Cantha. Bringing back Cantha would need years of development. Why? Becuase Cantha is a whole notha continent.

Are you willing to wait that long?

Here is why it takes that long:

New Story + Characters + NPCs + Events+ Event Chains+ race?+ profession?+ terrain+ music+ scripted boss battles+ dungeons+ alliance battles in the case of rebels against the Emperor = long programming, art designing, lore making, voice acting.

Cantha would be a great expansion, though I don’t think Anet would be up to the task if they were given a short deadline. Players want it now , but that is impossible.

Posted by: Medens.4960

Medens.4960

If you kitten of Anet enough they might bring back Cantha. Bringing back Cantha would need years of development. Why? Becuase Cantha is a whole notha continent.

New Story + Characters + NPCs + Events+ Event Chains+ race?+ profession?+ terrain+ music+ scripted boss battles+ dungeons+ alliance battles in the case of rebels against the Emperor = long programming, art designing, lore making, voice acting.

Cantha would be a great expansion, though I don’t think Anet would be up to the task if they were given a short deadline. Players want it now , but that is impossible.

But look at the release dates of the GW1 expansions. Prophecies came out in april 2005, exactly 1 year later factions came, then like half a year later nightfall, then in august 2007 EotN came.

Seems like they had enough time for a whole new continent in 1 year or less.

sorudo.9054

But look at the release dates of the GW1 expansions. Prophecies came out in april 2005, exactly 1 year later factions came, then like half a year later nightfall, then in august 2007 EotN came.

Seems like they had enough time for a whole new continent in 1 year or less.

they planned cantha 2 years before GW1 was released so they had 3 years of dev time, still quite fast for such a big place.

and yes, i rather wait a year for a big expansion then suck up all the crap they release up until now.

Posted by: Nyel.1843

Nyel.1843

I don’t know how to select the ANet posting so a simple question:

What is the official statement from ANet regarding Cantha?

Posted by: Koven Acris.5236

Koven Acris.5236

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere in this thread (I’m sure it was, but don’t fancy scrolling through 32 pages to check) but the art direction for Cantha looked amazing, I didn’t play Guild Wars 1 so never experienced the original concept – but I am very saddened by the fact the current intention is to never revisit it based on the below artwork alone, and I entirely understand why the community would be upset.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:2010_May_Divinity%27s_Reach_Canthan_district_Polished.jpg

Smooth Penguin.5294

Koven, you should buy the original GW:Factions, and try it out. Then you’ll see why this thread is so huge.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I want to see the places again where my Ritualist first came into the world and where she lived, fought for her land and explored. Even though she has no marked grave, I can find some favorite spot and stand there saying, This is it. This is where she rests.

Please bring back Cantha.

In Memoriam: Astral Projections

Attachments:

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Smooth Penguin.5294

I want to see the places again where my Ritualist first came into the world and where she lived, fought for her land and explored. Even though she has no marked grave, I can find some favorite spot and stand there saying, This is it. This is where she rests.

Please bring back Cantha.

In Memoriam: Astral Projections

This x 1000. We need Ritualists back, along with Cantha. And playable quaggan race.

Posted by: Darcness.2408

Darcness.2408

I just want to go back to the Kurzicks. I mean come on- Gothic people are just awesome :P I even have a thief with the name Liam von Kurzick strictly because I loved them so much. I am writing a story about how his family of nobles came to DR after a souring relationship with ‘their great and glorious leader’. but it come to how his family immigrated to Tyria and slowly depreciated into a middle class family of Clocksmiths (I have an Engie planned from the same family too)

Posted by: SirMorgenStar.6721

SirMorgenStar.6721

I believe I have the perfect solution. The Crystal Desert is objectively the best area in the series, so what we do is we bury Kaineng City in sand blown from the desert when Kralkatorrik made his little trip down there. The conflict about architecture would be solved and we’d have two Crystal Deserts to explore.

Nyel.1843

This x 1000. We need Ritualists back, along with Cantha. And playable quaggan race.

They could scrap up Cantha if only they would give me my Ritualist.

Unfortunately I think we will never see Ritualists due to the fact, that the Engineer is some nasty perversion they made out of the true Ritualists ( or their mechanics ).

Posted by: SirMorgenStar.6721

SirMorgenStar.6721

Unfortunately I think we will never see Ritualists due to the fact, that the Engineer is some nasty perversion they made out of the true Ritualists ( or their mechanics ).

I also wish they bring back Dervish and Paragon, though until we go to Elona (if ever) I don’t see how that would happen.

sorudo.9054

no matter how much they try and claim that the engineer is suppose to be the replaces, it only has 1/4 of it’s awesomeness.
they can both globally and directly heal, they have one of the best protection spells, their damage can at times out-damage an ele, they can be a hybrid in all three, they can improve the attacks of an ally directly and they are quite self sufficient.

i really hope they add the ritualist, if they really can’t release cantha for political reasons then at least have the professions back and that includes the assassin.

Posted by: Black Dragon.3784

Black Dragon.3784

Can I just ask why do so many people want new maps when we have not even finished with one? why not let Anet finish unlocking all areas in this map? Instead of giving them tone loads more to do whilst realistic content now( unlocking areas such as eye of the north) is lacking

Nyel.1843

Can I just ask why do so many people want new maps when we have not even finished with one? why not let Anet finish unlocking all areas in this map? Instead of giving them tone loads more to do whilst realistic content now( unlocking areas such as eye of the north) is lacking

My opinion too.

We need no Cantha and we need no Elona.

We have got:

• Magus Falls
  • Maguuma Desert
  • Ring of Fire
  • Janthir Isles
  • Home of the Blood Legion
  • Deldrimor Front
  • Wooland Cascades
  • Scavangers Causeway
  • Far Shiverpeak Mountains
  • Crystal Desert

Hell only with the Janthir-area they could fill a complete expansion. Every of this regions is big enough to contain 3-4 zones at least. That are more than 40 zones within the map we got NOW. That is incredibly huge.

I think with LS 2 we will go to the Magus Falls and get some story about Malyck and the other pale tree and that will for sure take +1 year to finish ( with Mordremoth ). Hell, I never saw a game with so many potential like this. There is enough space for them to add zones in the visible map for 10 years.

Posted by: Linnea.5146

Linnea.5146

My opinion too.

We need no Cantha and we need no Elona.

We have got:

• Magus Falls
  • Maguuma Desert
  • Ring of Fire
  • Janthir Isles
  • Home of the Blood Legion
  • Deldrimor Front
  • Wooland Cascades
  • Scavangers Causeway
  • Far Shiverpeak Mountains
  • Crystal Desert

Hell only with the Janthir-area they could fill a complete expansion. Every of this regions is big enough to contain 3-4 zones at least. That are more than 40 zones within the map we got NOW. That is incredibly huge.

I think with LS 2 we will go to the Magus Falls and get some story about Malyck and the other pale tree and that will for sure take +1 year to finish ( with Mordremoth ). Hell, I never saw a game with so many potential like this. There is enough space for them to add zones in the visible map for 10 years.

I do agree with you, but part of the purpose of this thread is to show that there is continued interest in these areas. We only have a chance of getting them in the future if we keep showing that we want them, because apparently Cantha and Elona are very, very far down on their priority list.

Nyel.1843

Oh I love Cantha. Far more than Elona, but I love Elona too. Factions and Nightfall have been really awesome.

I would love to see both of them, but yeah… as I mentioned above – there is so much space left that I really don’t feel the necessity of these continents. Janthir-Isles with the Mursaat would be another great story thing. Maybe Primordus and Ring of Fire…

I can’t even imagine how many years ANet could fill with this things if they want to.

I want Cantha. Like many others out there. But yeah… maybe in 5 years lol.

Posted by: Niki.5340

Niki.5340

Wow. Just listened to this while playing some boring story in GW2… Made me so nostalgic and sad that it will probably never be part of GW2. Cantha or GW1 may not had the best map design or questing system. But the feeling you got from the enviroment and music was simply amazing. To this day there is no other game, no matter which genre, that sucked me in that deep. Wish I could turn time back.

larv.3456

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

Hmm, If it doesn’t come out of A-net’s mouth, I am not trusting it + it’s probaply not going to go about Cantha.

(Altough it would make more sense: Week 1;Tyria get’s LS, Week 2: Cantha get’s LS Week 3: Tyria, etc.)

Elona is Love, Elona is life.