The Cantha Thread [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sird.4536

Sird.4536

I think the reason Arenanet has not developed a true expansion is because NC Soft through its division NC Soft West has not been committed to growing the IP to truly compete with the MMORPG of its rivals. I think It’s too focused on Blade & Soul. The truth is a large fraction of the budget for the development of Blade & Soul should have gone to developing an expansion that would have allowed GW2 to compete in China in a wholistic and serious way.

Reports from China say GW2 isn’t doing so bad. The reason they have not done a full blown expansion is because for a long time they said they were not going to do an expansion but big living story dumps, HoT was exactly that.

Now they are screwed because we have 4 dragons left and we know 3 of them are in Tyria (the continent). Jormag is up north of FGS, Kralk south in the Crystal Desert, Primordias underground somewhere and no word on Bubbles location.

FGS and CD are roughly the same size as the Maguuma jungle and if HoT wasn’t big enough for an expansion then these 2 zones won’t be either. They have to finish this dragon story arc before we move to another continent? Even after these dragons are dealt with Cantha is probably still a long way away because south of Tyria is Elona.

RP enthusiast

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

Call me when a Cantha true expansion drops.

’Till then… We out. <drops mike>

(edited by MFoy.3284)

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

Glad to see this thread is still going LOL. #ReadyForCantha

Posted by: Draconicus.7564

Draconicus.7564

I would literally burst into tears of joy if ArenaNet would confirm Cantha.

As me too More… if ArenaNet give Cantha to us, i will spend 1000Euros in Gems :P

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

Easy fix – Deep Sea Dragon surfaces near Cantha and attacks. Boom, no need to change the Dragons plot, but still gives us Cantha

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Love me some Cantha, especially the forest and sea areas.

(edited by CMM.6712)

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Now they are screwed because we have 4 dragons left and we know 3 of them are in Tyria (the continent). Jormag is up north of FGS, Kralk south in the Crystal Desert, Primordias underground somewhere and no word on Bubbles location.

FGS and CD are roughly the same size as the Maguuma jungle and if HoT wasn’t big enough for an expansion then these 2 zones won’t be either. They have to finish this dragon story arc before we move to another continent? Even after these dragons are dealt with Cantha is probably still a long way away because south of Tyria is Elona.

We shouldn’t have to fight each and every dragon. The first one was enough. Other heroes in other regions could have handled the other dragons, off-camera, leaving us and the game free move on to something else — and, more to the point, some where else. Alas.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: nutri.1385

nutri.1385

Cantha was my favourite part of GW1.

Mine too – Factions was the first part of Original Guild Wars I’ve played. It was a visual masterpiece imho. I wish we could go back there again.

All things have a right to grow.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

If Anet really wants to put this game back on its glorious path,it need to return its community and this seems as only way to do so. C A N T H A

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

Elona was my favorite, but factions/cantha will always have a special place for me since it was the 1st gw I played. I’d love to fight the other dragons but anet needs to get on the ball with content release. New/updated dungeons, underwater content, vanilla builds becoming viable- these are just a few things that needs fixing. If only anet had the sense of blizzard.

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

Factions was my first experience with Gw 1 and I loved the varying locations and architecture.

I am currently playing through it again with a Necro/Warrior (Giving a melee themed one a whirl xD) and I am really enjoying it

Cantha and Elona confirmations would be a big crowd pleaser for them and I would most certainly pre order that. But in the current state I am just going to continuing on gw 1 and just going on 2 to complete the new pve on the days they are released.

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

If Anet really wants to put this game back on its glorious path,it need to return its community and this seems as only way to do so. C A N T H A

Honestly, doing anything NOT RELATED TO KITTEN SYLVARI, is alright by me, and Cantha is about as un-sylvari as you can get.

Posted by: Christina.7926

Christina.7926

Yeah seriously. It’s probably too much to hope for the Kurz/Lux style pvp again (I think I remember reading on the wiki that those factions are gone now), but I would love to at least have the continent!

Elona is also a must for me. I’d love to see how they could make use of Palawa Joko. I too am getting tired of all this living story content revolving around sylvari.

Bump fixing the Monk Outfit?

Posted by: Nebelparder.3751

Nebelparder.3751

I’d kill for being able to glide in Cantha.
I guess they have to finish the story around the old Dragons, but i hope with the way living story is going we could be done with them in a lil over a year or two.
i rly want to sea how the Echovald Forest and the Jade Sea have developed in all that time. Perhaps the Jade Sea has gone partly fluid again and the forest attracted new animals monsters and plants…

Posted by: Oni.7451

Oni.7451

Call me when a Cantha true expansion drops.

’Till then… We out. <drops mike>

LOL Sums up my feelings exactly. Worst part is that I genuinely like GW2. I just can’t force myself to care about Tyria anymore. I got into Guild Wars during Factions for a reason.

Posted by: Kilo.2539

Kilo.2539

I recently started getting back into PvE and I’m dying to know what’s happening in Cantha 250 years on. I know they have become isolationist but what else?

Factions was a classic, I miss it dearly.

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

I pray Cantha comes soon cause we really need it. Since they will be adding a new map per episode, that means that by late next year Tyria will most likely be complete.

Posted by: Douglas Mines.7362

Douglas Mines.7362

Just putting my 2 cents in for a Cantha return. I’d love to see the partially-liquified Jade sea with the water exploration abilities that there are available to us now, and gliding around in the echovald forest would be phenominal. A larger Shing-Jea with the sea level lowered would also be pretty sweet (pretty as in I still log into GW1 sometimes just for Shing Jea’s beauty – mind you I log into GW1 for most of Cantha’s music, Echovald still gives me chills at times)

Posted by: funky fat thighs.1267

funky fat thighs.1267

Some people have said without the dragons that a trip to cantha would be impossible: but remember that in cantha there are no charr, sylvari, norn or sylvari: supposedly the last known emperor of cantha was xenophibic and shunned what he considered to be ‘lesser’ races. Imagine going over to this version of cantha where you are spat on depending on your character’s race, being segregated from the general population or having them seek to kill/ enslave you. ANet know how to make interesting villains, which could unify the continent in order to take them out or smth. Long story short there is no place in the world i would love to see more than cantha in gw2

Posted by: Mercutio.7201

Mercutio.7201

Played at launch. Had some fun. Left. Just waiting for Cantha to come back and play. Really didn’t care for the Maguuma Jungle the first time around. Don’t see the fun in going again. Anyway, would love to go to Cantha and see what’s happened with the Jade Sea and all that.

Posted by: RedRooster.6073

RedRooster.6073

I’ve been playing gw1 like crazy lately. Vanquished Elona for the 2nd time just for the kitten of it. I’d love to see Elona, love to see Cantha. Honestly if they would just put more nods toward gw1 I’d be infinitely happy. Ember bay was nice but I want to see more things I’d recognize from gw1!

Posted by: motoko lei.7284

motoko lei.7284

oke i have to atmit i given up on gw2 now its way to long for them to go to canta the dragon story is draging on to slow this way factions/elona wil finaly hapen in like 2 years if they round it up fast what i dont see happening soon if i chek the map its stil only 1/3 playable and whe are how many years in now so hope they do factions yet i dont see it happening

Posted by: Sunyavadin.7962

Sunyavadin.7962

Easy fix – Deep Sea Dragon surfaces near Cantha and attacks. Boom, no need to change the Dragons plot, but still gives us Cantha

Even better, have everything going along as normal in Tyria with the LW plot, and then suddenly – Taimi informs everyone that she’s detecting a huge surge of magic originating far, far to the south, across the ocean. The Deep Sea Dragon has been slain.

Then shortly after that bombshell, Anet drop the next expansion teaser, with an armada of invading ships appearing across the now safe seas.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Wasnt there some teasing of an Elona area somewhere. Could be more living story, but expansion to Elona would make more sense.

Posted by: Sunyavadin.7962

Sunyavadin.7962

Wasnt there some teasing of an Elona area somewhere. Could be more living story, but expansion to Elona would make more sense.

If you mean the unconfirmed image supposedly leaked recently, that was the crystal desert, it had the name of a Prophecies outpost in the corner. So if genuine, that would most likely be the next destination for season 3 after the ring of fire. It’s not Elona though, although it is possible we’d see a few descendants of Vabbian refugees there, who escaped to Tyria. If that shot is genuine though, my guess is the story there will focus on the Forgotten, hence the recycled HoT assets from Auric Basin/Gilded Hollow in the screenshot.

Posted by: llama.1736

llama.1736

Would love to see Cantha, too. Maybe the deep sea dragon is under the jade sea and slowly becoming unfrozen…?

Posted by: TrevZach.3807

TrevZach.3807

Cantha! Goodness, I loved that campaign. It was so fun, and it was gorgeous. I wish everyday that they would make it, and I’m really surprised they haven’t answered to the cries of their community. I long to see what they could do now with their gorgeous art and powerful game engine.

And, if they would be willing to put in the extra work, they could make a tutorial area in Shing Jea and introduce the Tengu somehow. This could work by leveling them up in the island, then once they’re ready, crossing them to the mainland to participate in the expansion content. Also, they could do what WoW did with Death Knights, were if you have a max level character on your account, you can make a max Tengu that starts in Cantha and instantly participate in the expansion content.

And I love your ideas guys. Having Bubbles be trapped under the Jade Sea is a perfect excuse to get Cantha involved in the GW2 story. Plus, not much lore has been made for Bubbles, so it wouldn’t defy any existing lore ANet has developed.

Please make a Cantha expansion! ANet, I will instantly pre-order, I’ll buy top deluxe or collectors edition, and I’ll be as involved in it as I possibly can. Please bring back Cantha!

Posted by: basiliskeye.6924

basiliskeye.6924

This is pure speculation on my part, but from the direction Season 3 is going so far, I have a feeling one way or another the Dragon Story we have been bogged down with for the last 4 years is going to be fast tracking to a conclusion.
I believe the Devs too are ready to move on to something beyond Tyria.
To what end, who is to say, From what lore we have of what became of Cantha and Elona they are probably not going to be very fun places anymore without some retcons or hand waving in regard to the Movement of the World lore dump.
But something funny enough I don’t think in 4 years of this megathread anyone has considered them taking the game to a completely new land.
I mean have you actually looked at the Order of Whispers globes? Tyria, Cantha, and Elona comprise of like 10% of the planets land mass.

For me personally it’s not so much I need Cantha (don’t get me wrong I liked Cantha) it’s more I am tired of Tyria and I am tired of this overly long slog of a story about elder dragons.

Posted by: TrevZach.3807

TrevZach.3807

That’s a really good point. I suppose I feel so strong about Cantha and Elona coming back because I am a longtime guild wars 1 fan. But you make a great point. And yes, I partly do just want to leave Tyria. Guild Wars 1 was so fast pased on getting new content I never got board, but Guild Wara 2 definitely has that “long slog of a story between the elder dragons”.

I would love to see new areas never seen before. That would be lots of fun. Do keep in mind though, the fact that Cantha and Elona are so nasty brings a good reason to go there and fix those problems.

I do want the dragons to end though. The Guild Wars villains were so attractive because they were smart, complicated characters, not mindless dragons. You can already see that when they released Eye of the North they were aiming toward simple, strait, evil villains.

Posted by: Nebelparder.3751

Nebelparder.3751

i want to go there again

Attachments:

Posted by: KeybladeMaster.3148

KeybladeMaster.3148

Still don’t understand why they haven’t done anything with Cantha or Elona

Posted by: Bridget Morrigan.1752

Bridget Morrigan.1752

This is pure speculation on my part, but from the direction Season 3 is going so far, I have a feeling one way or another the Dragon Story we have been bogged down with for the last 4 years is going to be fast tracking to a conclusion….
But something funny enough I don’t think in 4 years of this megathread anyone has considered them taking the game to a completely new land.
I mean have you actually looked at the Order of Whispers globes? Tyria, Cantha, and Elona comprise of like 10% of the planets land mass….

My feeling is the same, that the story with the dragons is fast tracking to a conclusion. Popping 2 dragons in living story (what I wouldn’t give for them to make a dragon fight map between the two dragons with the players coming in to take advantage) and leaking the third is going to be hit in an expansion (as Kralkatorrik is in the Crystal Desert, last we heard) tends to suggest that their experiment with Lovecraftian Eldritch Abomination is wrapping itself up. With the usual complaints such stories have: Lovecraftian monstrosities are glamorous as long as they stay mysterious and unfightable. And that doesn’t work for a video game.

As I’ve been saying to my friends for a while, the whole leyline/dragons-consume-magic story, which has been in the game since Zhaitan, suggests that the end of the Elder Dragons will align itself for a major change in geography as well as story, because by all indications, magic will be entirely out of control by then, and that will allow them to do whatever they want with the landscape: open random rifts to places like Kourna and the Jade Sea, create another cataclysmic event, crumble Tyria up into the Mists, blast us all to parts of the globe we haven’t seen (btw, does it seem to anyone else that they’ve considerably finessed and improved the Secrets Globe and the way the world map wraps around it since the inception of the game?).

I’m excited about possibly seeing both places we’ve already been, like Elona (which had beautiful maps, especially in Vabbi) and places we have yet to see, like the Isles of Janthir or someplace farther removed. But with Cantha, there’s a special desire to see it, I think, that largely comes from the fact that it isn’t just that they’ve got no story there, but that it was expressly taken away and forbidden. That kind of censorship is tragic, and in a way it’s worse because it affects more than Shing Jea and Kaineng—the Kurzick and Luxon areas were inspired by European cultures and languages. The baby really did get thrown out with the bathwater here.

And I agree with the above poster who said that Cantha has much to offer that’s unique compared to the rest of the game: the huge city-scape of Kaineng and the semi-melted state of the Jade Sea especially. The Jade Sea was one of my very favorite places in all of GW, both version. Echovald Forest would be cool to glide in, although gliding in a forest of giant trees is something we’ve done already, but the aesthetics of an Echovald Forest still recovering from having been turned to stone could be beautiful.

It’s just really sad not to get to go.

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

Problem is getting to that conclusion, personally I don’t think one is needed.

Tyria could continue on a long term path, we still have several elder dragons out there and they need to sort out the path before we kill them all. What happens to all that energy we’re going to release? It could be a disaster – Tyria in space anyone?

For those with issues about the Canthan capital, didn’t they tell you it had burned down in the great fire? Actually this is exactly what should have happened.

Then there is still the apple seller in LA offering ‘fresh Gandarran apples. where the kitten do they come from? (actually they could just be a variety grown in Tyria but don’t tell anet that!)

Posted by: maxwelgm.4315

maxwelgm.4315

The thing is that, other than very fancy magic Rifts (can’t be Asura gates if the Asura didn’t go there to build the other end of the gates) we have no way of crossing to anywhere outside of continental Tyria without dealing with the elephant in the ocean. Problem with that is they dropped underwater combat altogether, HoT was dry as kitten and laughably so since it’s a tropical Jungle, Mordremoth filling the low ranges was a silly excuse as he feeds on leylines and not water. We never even saw a DSD minion unless the Chak turn out to be so (very unlikely). So they have one of two choices: having a whole expansion to reveal stuff about him or killing him off-screen, before even thinking of expanding the world. That or killing two or more dragons is enough to create rifts leading everywhere including Cantha.

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

If the leaks are correct the next expansion is in elona.

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Crystal Desert =/= Elona.

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Well the leaks were about vaabi and desolation maps and i would consider those in elona so…

Of course leaks generally should be taken with a grain of salt. So i am not sure if they are correct.

(edited by Muchacho.2390)

aspirine.6852

Well they are about as close as you can get to it

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Well they are about as close as you can get to it

Actually Desolation and Vabbi are at south of CD, elona is the entyire region >:}

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: PyroTFD.9768

PyroTFD.9768

Very old thread – but I need to write, that I’d like Cantha back in game too!

Lux and Kurz aren’t vanished, their are only vassal states now under control of the empire.
Maybe they united and now there is a rebellion?

Also in Tyria are 6 big dragons, but as we learned: if one of these dragons is defeated, others gain control over the magic. So, what happens after this 6 elder-dragons are all defeated?

Never forget, in GW1 the hero helped to defeat Shiro – and compared to the dragons…

I hope Cantha comes back, there are so many possibilities why they need the help of the dragon slayers… hehehe…

(and sorry for my bad english, it’s not my mother-tongue…)

Posted by: Thea Cherry.6327

Thea Cherry.6327

I don’t want to kill anymore dragons, because honestly it is mostly just awful boring.

HoT was a massive letdown for me, the areas where not my cup of tea, the enemys are condition throwning kittens and worst of all: the end fight in the mind of the dragon was plain and simple this: boring af. :/

Cant’t they just give us at least a glimpse of Cantha, an ambassador who comes by and says “well turns out we could use some help, we have some kind of chrisis. Finish your dragons and ship over to us”.

Give us hope of seeing the beautiful places of Cantha again.

PS: oh and the EotN areas, they were kind of awesome.

Posted by: Chorne.8195

Chorne.8195

So, Cantha’s isolationism is a reference to the real world Sakoku period of Japan, right? In real life that ended because Matthew Perry opened Japan to trading with the West.
Who knows, maybe we’re going to need help with Bubbles or something and we’ll end up being Matthew Perry or something…
Just a thought.
And also, MAN, would I love to go to Cantha. I only started playing early spring of last year, but I would love to run around Kaineng City and the like, and just see everything in person.

Posted by: Freezem.9270

Freezem.9270

i believe GW2 lore potential is so huge and i would love to see it all! That would be most likely impossible due to hours of work but anyway back to topic… Cantha would be awesome as hell. Realease such expansion and i am 100% in even when i am just a casual player. Btw i am thinking about this ever since i heard Cantha story from WP on youtube.

peace

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

So, Cantha’s isolationism is a reference to the real world Sakoku period of Japan, right? In real life that ended because Matthew Perry opened Japan to trading with the West.
Who knows, maybe we’re going to need help with Bubbles or something and we’ll end up being Matthew Perry or something…
Just a thought.
And also, MAN, would I love to go to Cantha. I only started playing early spring of last year, but I would love to run around Kaineng City and the like, and just see everything in person.

I want to GLIDE thru KC and the like!!

Posted by: Viking.1950

Viking.1950

I do so hope and have for some time, that Cantha will return. It is simply to wonderful and rich a location to let languish. I most certainly would buy such an expansion for myself and a couple others.

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

I truly hope that Elona and Cantha will find their way back into GW2 by respective content. It’s what made GW1’s lore and maps so versatile and fun to play.

There still is a dialogue option that asks for your character’s heritage, and one of mine has their roots in Cantha. I want Canthans and Tengu and what not. Give this game more cultural depth! (And stop calling every player who happens to have a character with Canthan roots a “weeaboo”, it’s a ridiculous assumption.)

(edited by Ashantara.8731)

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Sort of a bump. Definitely not a necro, given all of the feedback in this thread…

I know I would like to know, and many other players who’ve posted here would, too…

What’s the latest position about Cantha from ArenaNet? Has it changed? Not changed?

Any chance we could get a representative from ArenaNet to comment again about whether or not we might see a Canthan expansion?

For what it’s worth: I’d buy that. Very, very excitedly I’d buy that…

Posted by: Svennis.3852

Svennis.3852

I’d very much love to see Cantha and Elona again, someday!

But also interested in other unexplored regions of the world on continents we’ve yet to see.

Posted by: BorisVargas.8950

BorisVargas.8950

ncsoft can be very thick headed and are not the best judges of character, having made many bad and unpopular decisions on other games in the past. Knowing them they will continue to resist what the people want but i hope they do allow to add Cantha one day.

aspirine.6852

Bump or not, I’d rather see the old gameplay come back, the play before hot, to be honest. All those kites or whatever they are called just doesnt do it for me.
New large expansion needs to be travelled by land and foot instead of flying, some nice jumping puzzles again.

I do wonder about one thing if this expansion hits, will I need to to all those terrible thing from hot, or can we just skip that and forget that expansion ever happened.