The Cantha Thread [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

“NCsoft was firm in its decision to stay away from “Asian” themes and keep it “universal.”

Good.

Lol…….

So does NCSoft follow their own rules by having everyone sit in a cubicle? That includes all CEOs, Board Members, IT Staff, etc. Universal, no one is better than anyone, everything equal. So the pay should be the same as well. Bonuses should all be equal across the board. Keep it universal.

The problem with this mindset is unfortunately the ones who cast the rules don’t want to follow them as well. Which is the overall down fault with communism.

Cultures are unique, and I like that. I love to learn, and hear stories of different ways of life and see their styles. It creates diversity which is a good thing.
If everyone is named Joe or Sue, makes the same pay, lives in the same style house, drives the same car, etc. What is there to learn?

I want to share my culture with others, explore the different experiences. This is why I stand firm in supporting cantha. It brings a whole new aspect to the lore and world of Tyria. They are not all the same.

Add: Definition of “Universal” and why it’s impossible to fit into everyday life.

• Including or covering all or a whole collectively or distributively without limit or exception.

Edit: After re-reading this definition a couple times; I find it un-relative to the actual matter of removing Cantha at all due to offending Asian cultures.

Universal actually means to INCLUDE all entities in relative subject without limitation or exception. So regardless of race, gender, age, etc. all should be included without regards to my forementioned.

So really I see this now as NCSoft biting their own tail… lol

(edited by Antara.3189)

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

28 pages… all because of a youtube comment and some guys desire to open up a can of worms….

unreal people.
just sayin…

Sigh,

Players are showing their support on whether or not Cantha should be added to the game. Which even a developer shared his support. Though this thread maybe had started about your forementioned statement, this has gone far beyond just that. It’s a thread to show ArenaNet how passionate the players feel about Cantha. (Mind you they are definitely taking this into consideration seeing how this has not been closed.)

So please either contribute to whether or not you feel Cantha should be added, but don’t provide a useless comment to others.

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

Krytans were descendants of Elonians, nothing to do with Canthans.

All humans came from Cantha, they just spread to Elona first before getting to Kryta. The Krytan settlers came from a line okittengs in Elona that split off north not long after arriving there from Cantha.
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Humans

Okittengs? Lol. What word was that before the forum filter got hold of it?

Apparntly putting the words “of” and “kings” near each other is a very bad thing…

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

Posted by: Draconicus.7564

Draconicus.7564

“NCsoft was firm in its decision to stay away from “Asian” themes and keep it “universal.”

Good.

Why are they so “firm” on this decision…and exactly what it’s good about it?

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Everyone! Go to the Cantha District, I mean The Great Collapse! Something new showed up!

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Everyone! Go to the Cantha District, I mean The Great Collapse! Something new showed up!

I’m unable to log into the game at the moment. Would there be an NPC in Divinity’s Reach with more info? I doubt that a pile of dirt in the former great collapse and Canthan District would show up on its own. Someone had to have put the dirt there and removed the bridge to make way for construction, and something that big seems like at least a handful of people would know about it and why it’s there.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

The Great Collapse has almost completely been repaired, just in time for the GW2 launch in Asia.

I imagine we will also see the return of the Asiatic character customization options, first seen all the way back in G-Star 2011 (for example, here).

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Maybe, or explain this.
(The Picture)

Attachments:

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

Posted by: Blazing Rathalos.1904

Blazing Rathalos.1904

Now, you link us a thread that says there never was a canthan district. Though it does not say the new construction will not BE a new canthan district. So the question we now ask ourselves is: Did you link it so we don’t get any false hope, or as a tease? Think on that everyone.

Then again, I’m not Arenanet, and everything in
the above post could be complete and utter nonsense.

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Previous

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

Next

Anthony posted that information to set your expectations accordingly.

It’s great that you all want Canthan content and it’s cool that you’re all passionate about the content you enjoy, but wishing for things to happen and expecting certain things to happen will not necessarily translate into those things actually happening.

Rather than have you working yourselves up into a speculative frenzy at the sight of the change in the Great Collapse and you being disappointed and angry later because you formed undue expectations based upon theories and speculation, Anthony wanted to make sure your expectations are grounded now.

Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra

Smooth Penguin.5294

But… but… Cantha!

I will continue to hold onto hopes for a Cantha expansion.

Viking Jorun.5413

It’s great that you all want Canthan content and it’s cool that you’re all passionate about the content you enjoy, but wishing for things to happen and expecting certain things to happen will not necessarily translate into those things actually happening.

Rather than have you working yourselves up into a speculative frenzy at the sight of the change in the Great Collapse and you being disappointed and angry later because you formed undue expectations based upon theories and speculation, Anthony wanted to make sure your expectations are grounded now.

Does this mean that we’ll at least get an arts district? I could settle for that. Or a jumping puzzle. Or an exploration into the great collapse that leads to the catacombs where we face a giant bone golem boss, but I probably should just expect a jumping puzzle.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Where do Canthans of DR live though?

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Here we are, fervently telling you what we want. Here you are, telling us to not get worked up into a frenzy because we aren’t going to get it.

Here’s what I say to that: so what if your plans for the Great Collapse don’t currently include anything Canthan? Clearly, a great many people here want something – anything – Canthan back in the game. Here’s a grand opportunity to make a lot of Guild Wars fans happy – for a change! – and all you have to do to do this is exhibit a little bit of flexibility.

In light of all these passionate expectations, would it kill you guys to maybe adjust your plans – just a little – and throw us Cantha fans a bone here?

The table is a fable.

Viking Jorun.5413

Here we are, fervently telling you what we want. Here you are, telling us to not get worked up into a frenzy because we aren’t going to get it.

Here’s what I say to that: so what if your plans for the Great Collapse don’t currently include anything Canthan? Clearly, a great many people here want something – anything – Canthan back in the game. Here’s a grand opportunity to make a lot of Guild Wars fans happy – for a change! – and all you have to do to do this is exhibit a little bit of flexibility.

In light of all these passionate expectations, would it kill you guys to maybe adjust your plans – just a little – and throw us Cantha fans a bone here?

+1, although I think ANet wants to be able to implement anything Canthan as well. It’s NCSoft restricting the kitten ed racial variety. It’s been said before, but this is why communism doesn’t work. The intentions are there in the rules, but sometimes the rule makers create rules that they themselves don’t have to follow.

I hope this thread is enough to show NCSoft how much we love Cantha. If there’s anything we as players can do in order to further show our love for Cantha and desire to have it and all of its amenities back, let us know.

Maybe I’ll post a picture of me giving blood for Cantha <.<

Posted by: Elric.6971

Elric.6971

Viking, did you not see the huge protest to City of Heroes being shut down? You could get the President of South Korea to support Cantha being added and NCsoft will sooner defect to North Korea.

Posted by: Nyres.6254

Nyres.6254

Well there went my hopes of ever getting a Cantha district, shame I had really wished there would have been one day. Seemed like it would have been much cooler to explore than a potentail ‘arts’ district.

Draconicus.7564

After red your “kindly & Friendly” (*sarcasm) post, all i can say is that at the moment i am 80% decided to just leave GW2 for good, and stop to support whatever for GW2!

At 90% i think i will be installing GW1 again, and for sure at 100% i will be playing it, and uninstalling GW2 to never see it again!

Although i thank you deeply, because i prefer to know the truth, than been eluded!

Thanks once more for totally shattered my hope, for showing us that “our” wishes as loyal fans of the game are just ignored, and to show us also how the real Asian are so much important for you guys,than the rest of the World!!

Personally, if one day some one told me that Cantha would be “assassinated” by Asians, i never would believe it, because it just look like a bad joke!

I’m just choked!! Seriously!

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

I think you are just teasing Regina. And I fully expect that under that tent is an Asuran portal that will send us straight into the heart of Kaineng city!

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: O Mixanologos.6783

O Mixanologos.6783

no we dont want a canthan district.we want cantha.we want the forest.we want the jade sea.we want the huge town.as simple as that

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Why do you keep ignoring you loyal GW1 playerbase Arena Net, why…
It’s not only PvE but also PvP.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Not sure if anyone’s added it yet, but I found a Canthan related book in Divinity’s Reach called “The Winds of Change.”

“Contact with Cantha was finally lost when the flood from Orr’s rising disrupted trade.”

“They’ve closed their shores to us and left us to fight the Dragons alone. To the Mists with them.”

What that means is that even if Cantha were to ever “return”, it would come back to the tune of disdain from the current Tyrian territories due to the abandonment in hard times.

Well that could make for a pretty good story arch.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

ncsoft should take their heads out of their kitten and let Anet do what they want. I am not blaming anyone at Anet at this because it looks like they are just a frustrated as some of us here.

Posted by: Darkhayle.2473

Darkhayle.2473

I was part of the player base that tried their hardest to save city of heroes and it was worthless.. ncsoft didn’t care. They had already made their decision. No matter what you say and how much you beg for cantha, ncsoft won’t give anet permission to build it. I’d absolutely love to have cantha in the game, or even just ONE canthan district (Seriously… why is that too much to ask? What to do canthans in tyria do…? How do they preserve their culture?) but ncsoft has already decided how they want gw2 to be.

Posted by: riddleguy.9738

riddleguy.9738

I think some of you guys have unreasonable expectations. I want to see Cantha return but i doubt it will happen in the near future. Thats something i expect to see happen in an expansion pack.

I have faith we will see cantha again….i just dont foresee it happening in the near future. Also we still have Elona and the rest of tyria to see. Also i wouldnt be surprised if we see someplace new first before we see elona and cantha.

Posted by: Njordfinn.4921

Njordfinn.4921

wishing for things to happen and expecting certain things to happen will not necessarily translate into those things actually happening.

so what else should we do? create a kickstarter?

Posted by: O Mixanologos.6783

O Mixanologos.6783

wishing for things to happen and expecting certain things to happen will not necessarily translate into those things actually happening.

maybe an online petition?

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Sadly the only thing that will matter is us waiting. Just wait. That is all that will matter. Perhaps share stories about why you want cantha. That we can do. Just because the great collapse replacement is not going to be cathian does not mean that we will never have access to Cantha.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Not sure if anyone’s added it yet, but I found a Canthan related book in Divinity’s Reach called “The Winds of Change.”

“Contact with Cantha was finally lost when the flood from Orr’s rising disrupted trade.”

“They’ve closed their shores to us and left us to fight the Dragons alone. To the Mists with them.”

What that means is that even if Cantha were to ever “return”, it would come back to the tune of disdain from the current Tyrian territories due to the abandonment in hard times.

Well that could make for a pretty good story arch.

Maybe all this dragon stuff is just a smoke screen until they unveil an expansion focusing on the inevitable war between Tyria and Cantha

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

28 pages, wow! this thread is unstoppable.

Go Cantha! we want an expansion, even if we have to wait an enitre year.
Take your time if you have to but please give us news that you will start work on it and we will fund it.
Heck if you want pre-sales for it, I am sure u will get over a 100k copies sold within 24 hours if you announced it.

Bring Back Cantha and while we wait for it, please add UW and Fow to the current game.

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

The collapse replacement not being Canthan disappoints me only in the fact there’s no real district or area that truly represents Cantha. So everyone who was Canthan in GW1 is left out in the human capital right now which really stinks. I’m interested to see what the Royal Terrace will end up being, but I hope that a more present representation of the Canthan’s in Divinity’s reach happens.

Viking Jorun.5413

Please: Take my money already. I’ll be your new non-discriminating publisher.

Make Cantha? ;3

Posted by: riddleguy.9738

riddleguy.9738

Continue to show arenanet that you guys want cantha…. if the demand is great enough arenanet may work to get to us as soon as humanly possible. However, I wouldnt expect it until the first expansion at earliest.

Posted by: Cyan.6904

Cyan.6904

The “Give-us-Cantha-or-we-leave-GW2-forever” mentality is somewhat worrying me. I sure get the enthusiasm for it, I also like to see Cantha in the GW2 universe, but this is like saying that the devs should do exactly as the crowd wishes, and every inch of it. Let’s all have some patience and try to not be unreasonable on them.

And enjoy what we have now, update mania.

Cyan Graceland — Elementalist
The Knights Temple [TKT] — Aurora Glade

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

Cyan, the 28 pgs of post here are from people very passionate about the game. They certainly arent going to up and leave but they want to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Also for us to convince Anet to bring back Cantha will require a ton of noise and support.

the next step will be to start petitioning outside the doors of their HQ lol…

Cyan.6904

I’m all for support, but not for over-the-top support. Maniacs =p

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

The “Give-us-Cantha-or-we-leave-GW2-forever” mentality is somewhat worrying me. I sure get the enthusiasm for it, I also like to see Cantha in the GW2 universe, but this is like saying that the devs should do exactly as the crowd wishes, and every inch of it. Let’s all have some patience and try to not be unreasonable on them.

And enjoy what we have now, update mania.

Yeah, I’m really looking forward to Cantha, too, but browbeating the devs and making threats is not the way to go about this.

Smooth Penguin.5294

I’m all for support, but not for over-the-top support. Maniacs =p

But Cantha deserves only the hardest of the hardcore support. No other thread on these forums have reached the extent that this one has. And for good reason. When there’s a rumor that an Anet employee says NCSoft made them remove Cantha, and there’s no one who will confirm or deny said rumors, we’ll mindlessly believe it.

Posted by: The Spiral King.2483

The Spiral King.2483

Just bumping the thread with more of the same. Cantha was my absolute favorite area in GW1, and it’s criminal that representation of one of the primary (the main if we’re talking historically) Human factions has essentially been blacklisted out of the game. Arts District my kitten . Tell that to the Elonians and the Ascalonians who both get full quarter representation.

Posted by: Lanceor.2763

Lanceor.2763

Can you atleast tell us why Cantha is being shelved by NCSoft?

Jade Quarry

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

One of the things that made GW1 great was that they were willing to put out stories and content that was not just based on medieval and renaissance europe, but also by other cultures as well. Factions was my favorite expansion, just like Nightfall was others’ favorite, in part because of this.

We miss Cantha. Please bring it back someday.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Draconicus.7564

Can you atleast tell us why Cantha is being shelved by NCSoft?

See the video after the 15 minute mark please:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=83oaT6Iw9LU#at=976

And please read this Topic:
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/thread/377215/page/1

From the Topic above, the video linked there, see after the 1h.44m25s mark please:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xWo8G0OJ0FM#t=6226s

This is good also for all the people that’s just join the topic,and don’t know what we are really debating here, and why are we debating it!

Cheers.

(edited by Draconicus.7564)

Posted by: Teva.2807

Teva.2807

Cantha. Cantha. Cantha. Chants

Thieftix- Crystal Desert [CLAV] Commander (Aka sexiest thief on CD >:])

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

I was part of the player base that tried their hardest to save city of heroes and it was worthless.. ncsoft didn’t care. They had already made their decision. No matter what you say and how much you beg for cantha, ncsoft won’t give anet permission to build it. I’d absolutely love to have cantha in the game, or even just ONE canthan district (Seriously… why is that too much to ask? What to do canthans in tyria do…? How do they preserve their culture?) but ncsoft has already decided how they want gw2 to be.

Read the book laying about in the Priory post in DR. Cantha closed their borders to the rest of Tyria leaving them to fight the dragons on their own. “To the mists with them” it said in the margins. So they preserved it by becoming isolationists.

Just saying that is what the bit said. Don’t really care one way or the other. Not having played 1, I don’t miss what I never saw. Same reason I don’t care about Abbadon’s frac.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

“it is said that the forest had slowly become unpetrified and new plant-life could be found.”
I so wanna see the echovald….

Smooth Penguin.5294

It’s just be confirmed. The Canthan District has been permanently replaced with the Crown Pavilion to open on August 6th. First Queen Jennah causes Destiny’s Edge to miss out on killing an Elder Dragon. Now she does this? I do not like her much at the moment.

Cyan.6904

Don’t give up hope youngsters, there are still a lot of opportunities!

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

From a game development point of view, the Cantha District existed and was replaced by the great collapse before the game release.

BUT, from a game lore/game history point of view, what existed before the great collapse was not at all related to Cantha. It was called the Arts District officially.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

It’s just be confirmed. The Canthan District has been permanently replaced with the Crown Pavilion to open on August 6th. First Queen Jennah causes Destiny’s Edge to miss out on killing an Elder Dragon. Now she does this? I do not like her much at the moment.

It will be interesting to see if they made even a token concession to all the fans of what we got at the first anniversary of the original game.

The table is a fable.