The Death of Alts...

The Death of Alts...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Anet is slowly killing off alts and I don’t understand why… Alts are one of the main driving forces to keep players around, yet every decision kills them a little more.

1. It started with fractals… oh fractals are character bound so you can progress on each characters… (i.e. screw you alts, you have to run 50 fractal runs just to get back to the skill level you are at)

2. Next was laurels… Oh sorry this reward is account bound so your alts will take forever to gear up…

3. Then came daily bonus chests… what you only made alts to get bonus rares? L2GW2!!!

4. Next came WvW ranks… oh you want to play an alt in WvW, sucks to be you, all your bonuses are gone now (i.e. “progression”)

5. After that came time gated crystals… oh you can only get one of these magical crystals a day, good luck ever building gear with these crystals on your alts… that will take 100 years…

6. Here we arrive today with dungeon rewards being switched to account bound for gold AND tokens.

7. Update: Ascended weapons. 2 weeks per weapon. 5 weapons per character minimum. Assuming you have 4 alts… that’s a minimum of 40 weeks of grinding just to get weapons for all your characters… I thought the other restrictions were bad… prepared to be crushed by this new level of alt hate

Every time one of these things happened the blind Anet defenders came and swarmed shouting their typical chant… "what you only play alts for X, Learn 2 GW2 and play the “right” way!"

Well guess what… there is no longer a single area of the PvE game left that alts aren’t penalized for, guess it’s time for a new excuse.

(edited by ZudetGambeous.9573)

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

Don’t forget Story mode for dungeons and legendary weapons being soldbound.

After 7 months i would love to use my Incinerator for my necro AND thief…

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: lilstev.3498

lilstev.3498

You could always delete your alts……problem solved!

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

Legendaries should be Account Bound… Several months to a single character…

Sorry for my english.

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

I play my alts because they are fun, not because I could reap extra rewards from them.

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Well guess what… there is no longer a single area of the PvE game left that alts aren’t penalized for, guess it’s time for a new excuse.

Not true! You have the Personal Story which is just as fun (or not) as it was before!

. . . by the way? Still haven’t felt penalized for having alts. I’ve felt penalized for my main being a Ranger, but . . .

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: Florgknight.1589

Florgknight.1589

Transmute to white, put in bank, transmute back to exotic stats. Done.

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I play my alts because they are fun, not because I could reap extra rewards from them.

Me too-
I currently have 3 mains because every time I make an alt and invest time in it I grow to love it.
I play them all equally

If anything my alts have enriched my game enormously because they are all different with different play styles.
It keeps the game fresh for me and I love it.
It has also made me a much better player

Sorry OP if you don’t like to hear this but I don’t feel penalized for having alts at all- it is the opposite for me.

Gunnar’s Hold

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: wolfpaq.7354

wolfpaq.7354

You realize these “extra rewards” are mandatory to fully gear a character right?

Yeah, how dare I expect to get best in slot gear on my characters. Time gating/account gating blows.

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

You realize these “extra rewards” are mandatory to fully gear a character right?

To be technical, to “fully gear” a character you need a lot of Gems, 20 slot bags filling all slots except the first, and one weapon with each type you can use, each stat combination, each sigil . . .

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

well you answered yourself in point 3…. if you only made alts to get extra rewards then you are doing it wrong.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

TBH I think those that are always saying “anet hates alts” etc are just too greedy….

You WANT to be able to do content more than once a day and get the rewards more than once a day when solo char players can’t do this.

Yet you overlook the fact that if you complete the personal story on another alt you then get the reward for that and can have 2 weapons with the “pact” skins for your main if you want. Also all the karma and other rewards you get along the way (items to make more legendaries etc) can also be used on your main. Things like this you overlook.

Yes, yes you can say “but we would/could want those same things on the alts themselves”. This is true but as I said you ALSO get the bonus of having them on your main now don’t you? Where as solo char players don’t.

Don’t get me wrong I am an alt-aholic too as I have 8 chars covering every race and class, 6 of them have 100% map done too. I just think you guys want too MUCH out of alts. What’s wrong with just having an alt for variety in play styles? You get bored on one class 1 day you have the option to play on another for novelty. That right there should be your BONUS or reward for having alts. That and being able to switch in better classes for certain situations in WvW etc as well.

Well that’s just MY opinion

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Everything comes down to a basis design philosophy:

Characters progress, accounts are rewarded.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

(edited by TooBz.3065)

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

Every other game has you work just as kitten your alt as you would on your main to get the same level of progression. I play alts, myself, and I haven’t had a problem with the majority of the things you’re complaining about. (I’ll admit, laurels are a bit of a pain)

It sounds like you want a whole lot of handholding. Myself, it gives me something to do and goals to set when working on a new alt, should I feel up to that. It also allows me time to get more familiar and accustomed to the new class.

The Death of Alts...

Kirschwasser.3972

Yeah, how dare I expect to get best in slot gear on my characters. Time gating/account gating blows.

You don’t get those “extra rewards” any slower on alts than you do on a single character.

If I run p1 on a dungeon and get 60 tokens, and then run p3 with an alt for 60 tokens, I have still gotten 120 tokens for p1 and p3. Just because you could get it done in 2 days doesn’t mean that was intended or that it’s absolutely your god-given right to be able to do it that fast.

Once you’re done kitting one character out, you now just have to wait an equivalent amount of time on your next character. You’re essentially just complaining that your alts don’t have an advantage over running a single character.

The Death of Alts...

TooBz.3065

You don’t get those “extra rewards” any slower on alts than you do on a single character.

If I run p1 on a dungeon and get 60 tokens, and then run p3 with an alt for 60 tokens, I have still gotten 120 tokens for p1 and p3. Just because you could get it done in 2 days doesn’t mean that was intended or that it’s absolutely your god-given right to be able to do it that fast.

Once you’re done kitting one character out, you now just have to wait an equivalent amount of time on your next character. You’re essentially just complaining that your alts don’t have an advantage over running a single character.

Actually he’s complaining that he can’t work twice as hard and gear up 2 characters (twice the effort) in the same amount of time that someone with one character gears up his (same duration). Which is a different.

he is also pointing out, that ANet is changing the rules in a way that favors people with a single character (as opposed to the previous model). Because before Tuesday, a person could run COF p. 1 with 1 toon and get 60-69 tokens, change to a second toon and get 60-69 more tokens. Today, you run with 1 toon and get 60-69 tokens (idk if you still get the bonus sacks, I’ll assume so.) and again on a second toon and get 20-29 tokens. Which is less.

(edited by TooBz.3065)

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Well should you be able to out do ppl who do not have alts? Think about it if they let every thing be hero bound as in event dailies etc.. then the game would move from the casual type of play to the more hardcore type of play. This is simply not what GW2 is about. Even when you look to other games most dailies are only one time per account most of the time any way.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

This is the most alt-unfriendly MMO I ever played…the most important reason that leveling from 1-80 is just dead boring, because every zone is the same except the scenery. Level 50 would’ve been more than plenty.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: mage.3570

mage.3570

I fully agree with the OP on this one. GW2 is becoming increasingly non-friendly for alts in PvE. I have all level 80 fully-decked multi-purpose alts except ranger which is being leveled slowly and am quite frustrated with the decisions ANET has been making.

The last update pretty much was the nail in the coffin for alts. Since dungeon tokens and gold rewards are account-bound, there is absolutely NO reason to run the ‘weaker’ classes for dungeons. Simply load a warrior/mesmer/guardian and rush through the easy dungeon paths once daily. No reason whatsoever to play on a ranger, engineer or thief or the other weaker classes (except for ele which rules in AC dungeon).

Extremely unhappy with the account-bound limitations with each update. Not going to support a company like this with anymore gems purchase.

Been there, done that. What’s next?

(edited by mage.3570)

The Death of Alts...

Jski.6180

This is the most alt-unfriendly MMO I ever played…the most important reason that leveling from 1-80 is just dead boring, because every zone is the same except the scenery. Level 50 would’ve been more than plenty.

What other mmorpg have you played that let you level up other hero and gear up other hero when playing a main? You can get exp and level up items that are account bound you can get skill point items that are account bound you can get max level gear from running many events with your “main.” I am not sure if you can even do that in most mmorpgs i guess you could do that say by buying gear for an alt but there a lot of block in how strong that gear is for most mmorpg.

You guys seem to have a huge discontent of what going on in the game and what you can do in GW2 vs what you must do in other mmorpg.

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

I don’t see why soulbound legendaries are bad for alt characters…wouldn’t account bound legendaries reduce the amount of game time a player would play? If you want an alt to have a legendary then you gotta make it on that character, i.e. more time playing as the alt..

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

The Death of Alts...

Kirschwasser.3972

Actually he’s complaining that he can’t work twice as hard and gear up 2 characters (twice the effort) in the same amount of time that someone with one character gears up his (same duration). Which is a different.

I’ll concede to this point, but it sounds more like he wants to be able to use two alts to gear up one in shorter time, which is an option that people without alts simply don’t have. If tokens were soulbound, that’d be a different issue… but it’d create its own mess of issues all the same.

At the end of the day, I think the change to alt-tokens is an unintended side effect of the token wallet implementation and, if I’m right, we’ll see the change reverted.

The Death of Alts...

TooBz.3065

Well should you be able to out do ppl who do not have alts? Think about it if they let every thing be hero bound as in event dailies etc.. then the game would move from the casual type of play to the more hardcore type of play. This is simply not what GW2 is about. Even when you look to other games most dailies are only one time per account most of the time any way.

Maybe, if that’s what you want to do.

The problem is that, to me, each character should be either it’s own unique thing (basically it’s own account) or should be considered part of the account.

However, ANet makes progression (story dungeons, leveling, map completion, dyes, fractal level, WvW ranks) per character and rewards (boss chests, dungeon tokens, laurels) per account.

This means that over a 20 day period, you are better off having a single character than running multiple characters. Maybe that’s fine. But this game originally appeared very alt friendly, and many people have developed characters with that expectation. It’s a little disappointing to see it change.

The Death of Alts...

TooBz.3065

I’ll concede to this point, but it sounds more like he wants to be able to use two alts to gear up one in shorter time, which is an option that people without alts simply don’t have. If tokens were soulbound, that’d be a different issue… but it’d create its own mess of issues all the same.

At the end of the day, I think the change to alt-tokens is an unintended side effect of the token wallet implementation and, if I’m right, we’ll see the change reverted.

Yes, that wouldn’t be fair and would defeat the purpose of time gating.

The Death of Alts...

Jski.6180

The problem is that, to me, each character should be either it’s own unique thing (basically it’s own account) or should be considered part of the account.

However, ANet makes progression (story dungeons, leveling, map completion, dyes, fractal level, WvW ranks) per character and rewards (boss chests, dungeon tokens, laurels) per account.

This means that over a 20 day period, you are better off having a single character than running multiple characters. Maybe that’s fine. But this game originally appeared very alt friendly, and many people have developed characters with that expectation. It’s a little disappointing to see it change.

If “each character should be either it’s own unique thing” then there should be no account bound items it should all be soul bound. No account walit no account bank no way of giving gold to your account no way of using a TP because using other players IS destroying a character uniqueness.
Over all you guys are being hyperbolic about the smallest things some items are made to be hard to get and they SHOULD take you some level of time. The big thing is you do not NEED these items but for some reason you feel as if you do its comply beyond me why so much self pressure is being used i though games where about having fun.

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: mehcetylene.2376

mehcetylene.2376

Actually, the alt-hate started when they decided to make dyes character-bound instead of account-bound as they had first announced. Not a big deal, but it’s just gotten more alt-unfriendly from then on.

The Death of Alts...

mage.3570

People who have alt characters did NOT get them for free. They spent hours leveling each up, or spent gold (which took hours to farm) to level via crafting. Therefore, it is only fair that hard work gives better or more rewards. This should be an option available to those who feel they would like to play that way. Those who feel this is too much (i.e. those with one main) should just back off and not criticize others for the way they enjoy the game.

Right now, ANET is limiting the way players can play GW2 … and going against the promises they made in their manifesto. Simply unfair and bad business practice.

The Death of Alts...

TooBz.3065

I really don’t want to get into the whole “need” argument. One side argues that you can do anything with less than BIS gear and the other side will say “but I want it”.

There is no need in this game at all. Nothing is necessary. We can always just do something else. More than any other game I’ve played in this one you have to set your own goals. (At least post-80). if someone’s goals are BiS gear that’s legitimate.

I’ve gone from playing on 8 different characters to playing on 3. And I expect that will narrow down to 1 when ascended gear comes out. Because gearing up is becoming more of a pain in the kitten.

I don’t think that’s good. I can see getting bored with 1 much faster than I would get bored with 8. I don’t like that outcome, and so I comment on forums about it.

The Death of Alts...

Jski.6180

People who have alt characters did NOT get them for free. They spent hours leveling each up, or spent gold (which took hours to farm) to level via crafting. Therefore, it is only fair that hard work gives better or more rewards. This should be an option available to those who feel they would like to play that way. Those who feel this is too much (i.e. those with one main) should just back off and not criticize others for the way they enjoy the game.

Right now, ANET is limiting the way players can play GW2 … and going against the promises they made in their manifesto. Simply unfair and bad business practice.

And not every one wants to level alts and spend that time working on them. The way players are “If there a better way of doing something THAT is the only way of doing it.” If you make it where ppl who have alts get rewarded more for having though alts then every one will be “forced” to level up alts.
Has nothing to do with the manifesto its out right silly that you bring it up (in a way the manifesto is becoming as bad as the random things ppl use in politics such as the berther movement). The argument means nothing at this point when you bring up the manifesto point.

What it all comes down to is you guys want to be reward as much stop trying to hide your true meanings it all comes down to greed nothing but greed.

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Ironically, alts is all I can play right now.

As soon I get near an End-Game fight, I crash within 5 minutes or less.
Great patch…

The Death of Alts...

TooBz.3065

If “each character should be either it’s own unique thing” then there should be no account bound items it should all be soul bound. No account walit no account bank no way of giving gold to your account no way of using a TP because using other players IS destroying a character uniqueness.
Over all you guys are being hyperbolic about the smallest things some items are made to be hard to get and they SHOULD take you some level of time. The big thing is you do not NEED these items but for some reason you feel as if you do its comply beyond me why so much self pressure is being used i though games where about having fun.

I was with you nodding my head until you get to the TP comment. I confess I don’t understand that point.

Also, there’s nothing hyperbolic about saying that the game is less alt-friendly today than it was on Monday. it was less alt friendly on Monday than it was in January, and it was less alt friendly in January than it was in October.

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: Cyan.6904

Cyan.6904

I have 10 alts, and the chance that they all get max gear someday is close to zero percent. I’m totally fine with that, because I care more about the way to the “result”. It’s just what you think is important, sometimes you just have to deal with what you get.

Cyan Graceland — Elementalist
The Knights Temple [TKT] — Aurora Glade

The Death of Alts...

mage.3570

And not every one wants to level alts and spend that time working on them. The way players are “If there a better way of doing something THAT is the only way of doing it.” If you make it where ppl who have alts get rewarded more for having though alts then every one will be “forced” to level up alts.
Has nothing to do with the manifesto its out right silly that you bring it up (in a way the manifesto is becoming as bad as the random things ppl use in politics such as the berther movement). The argument means nothing at this point when you bring up the manifesto point.

What it all comes down to is you guys want to be reward as much stop trying to hide your true meanings it all comes down to greed nothing but greed.

What you call greed, I call opportunity, but you probably won’t understand that.

All these stupid account-bound changes ANET has been making is basically telling the players to play GW2 the most efficient way, i.e. bring the best classes for dungeon clears. This will lead to more class discrimination than anything else.

Previously, people complained about COF P1 being infested with warrior/mesmers. Now, they will do the same for ALL dungeons. So, this means my engineer, ranger, thief and even ele will be instantly kicked from groups because they are looked down upon by majority as weaker classes. Hence, the death of alts.

(edited by mage.3570)

The Death of Alts...

TooBz.3065

- snip –

Really? Really? Here I thought we were having a discussion. Instead you want to cast aspersions. I disagree with everything you have said. I will most likely disagree with anything you say in the future. But I will no longer waste my time talking to someone who isn’t really interested in discussing the game.

The Death of Alts...

Jski.6180

I was with you nodding my head until you get to the TP comment. I confess I don’t understand that point.

Also, there’s nothing hyperbolic about saying that the game is less alt-friendly today than it was on Monday. it was less alt friendly on Monday than it was in January, and it was less alt friendly in January than it was in October.

What i was trying to point out that being ability to sell and buy goods from other ppl its an example that your not truly unique and or alone.

- snip –

Really? Really? Here I thought we were having a discussion. Instead you want to cast aspersions. I disagree with everything you have said. I will most likely disagree with anything you say in the future. But I will no longer waste my time talking to someone who isn’t really interested in discussing the game.

Yes really think of it this way it takes a set time to get an item for a new player why should it take less time to get this item for a older player who has an alt leveled up. I am mainly looking at the top level items. If you think only from one hero at a time you will miss that it took you time to get your first set of high level items and it will take other players that much time too when they first try but WHY should older players get a big advantages over the new players?
Its one thing to be nice about things its another to be comply mindless about things. All it comes down to and you said it your self about working for items and at witch the speed you can get them. If you make alts able to get the same items as your main at the same time you push out new players and by asking for this IS a form of greed.

The Death of Alts...

TooBz.3065

Ok. But ascribing one of the seven deadly sins to someone is not generally a good way to have a conversation.

For illustrative purposes only here is the counter example, “Why shouldn’t I get two rewards for two characters. You could get two rewards also if you weren’t too lazy to level up an alt.”

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Don’t forget Story mode for dungeons and legendary weapons being soldbound.

After 7 months i would love to use my Incinerator for my necro AND thief…

Story mode is one of the main reasons I play alts.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Yep. Ascended are totally messed up for multi-character players. Fractals are not at all worth it to play either, cause they require you to start over again and again. Ranks in WvW are characterbound, so takes forever to get a decent rank on any character etc.

conclusion: Anet doesn’t like alts.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: ASaturnus.4980

ASaturnus.4980

I have 15 alts, 6 on level 80, working on Nr. 7. They are mostly exotic geared and I have ~7 ascended pieces. And I don’t see the problem.
1. Ok, I can understand that you want to use your fractal level with your alts. The thing is, fractals are for progression, so it makes sense to make them character bound, just like progression works in other games. Sometimes I wish it was different, but I think it is ok the way it is.
2. Everyone can get 1 laurel per day. That’s completely fair, why should you get more laurels just because you have alts?
3. This was a necessary change. People would farm the claw of Jormag the whole day if it wasn’t account based, crowding the servers that currently have the event. We know how it has been. Now you can do the claw once per day, no matter how many alts you have.
4. Another point where I can feel your pain. Yes, it’s annoying that you don’t have your rank on your alt. But it makes sense too, because not every alt would use the same distribution of points. But this is the one thing where I would welcome a change.
5. It’s time gated for a reason. If people could transform crystals with each of their alts, it wouldn’t be time gated anymore. You wouldn’t even need existing alts, just create one, transform crystals and delete the alt. You could transform hundreds of crystals per day.
6. Again, this system exists so that you don’t farm one dungeon path excessively. YOU, not your character, therefore it’s account based. Makes sense.

Penalizing players for having alts would mean that you don’t get what players with single chars would get. This applies for fractals and wvw. In both cases there are reason why it is so. But the most things you say are benefits for people with alts.
Of course it takes longer to equip 8 chars than it takes to equip 1 char. That’s just fair. It would still be fair if it would take 8 times as long, but we all know that equipping is faster with each new character.

I have alts because I want to have a choice between different play styles in every part of the game. I see that compromised in WvW, although I can accept it. I don’t have alts because I want to get things faster than people with one character.

The Death of Alts...

mage.3570

-snip-

I have alts because I want to have a choice between different play styles in every part of the game. I see that compromised in WvW, although I can accept it. I don’t have alts because I want to get things faster than people with one character.

Wrong. You don’t have a choice. If the alt-token restriction is not lifted, expect to see warrior/mesmer/guard groups mostly for dungeon clears and to some degree, even fractals.

The Death of Alts...

TooBz.3065

I have 15 alts, 6 on level 80, working on Nr. 7. They are mostly exotic geared and I have ~7 ascended pieces. And I don’t see the problem.
1. Ok, I can understand that you want to use your fractal level with your alts. The thing is, fractals are for progression, so it makes sense to make them character bound, just like progression works in other games. Sometimes I wish it was different, but I think it is ok the way it is.
2. Everyone can get 1 laurel per day. That’s completely fair, why should you get more laurels just because you have alts?
3. This was a necessary change. People would farm the claw of Jormag the whole day if it wasn’t account based, crowding the servers that currently have the event. We know how it has been. Now you can do the claw once per day, no matter how many alts you have.
4. Another point where I can feel your pain. Yes, it’s annoying that you don’t have your rank on your alt. But it makes sense too, because not every alt would use the same distribution of points. But this is the one thing where I would welcome a change.
5. It’s time gated for a reason. If people could transform crystals with each of their alts, it wouldn’t be time gated anymore. You wouldn’t even need existing alts, just create one, transform crystals and delete the alt. You could transform hundreds of crystals per day.
6. Again, this system exists so that you don’t farm one dungeon path excessively. YOU, not your character, therefore it’s account based. Makes sense.

Penalizing players for having alts would mean that you don’t get what players with single chars would get. This applies for fractals and wvw. In both cases there are reason why it is so. But the most things you say are benefits for people with alts.
Of course it takes longer to equip 8 chars than it takes to equip 1 char. That’s just fair. It would still be fair if it would take 8 times as long, but we all know that equipping is faster with each new character.

And this is the reason that alts will die. It’s just not worth it to spend 6 months gearing up alts. It may be “fair” but its a terrible system from the point of view of people who have alts and want BiS gear.

It’s not about faster anyway, it’s about having each character get stuff over the same duration as all the other characters. It’s about not having some of your characters at a 5% disadvantage in WvW because one guy only plays one character 30 minutes a day and you play 2 for an hour.

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

“Alts are useless [because I can no longer use them to get extra shinies for something I’ve already done]!”

You know, oddly…I don’t have this issue. Oh don’t get me wrong, I did this exact thing in GW1. You get a lot of lunar fortunes when you can rerun the event quests on 44 different characters. Netted me 8-10 celestial minis each year….and they sold nicely later on. However, I can probably see that this was never really anets intent for the content. In a sense it was an exploit that they allowed because there really wasn’t a way around it. They are fixing some of that issue here. Leveling the playing field a bit between the people that make so many alts, and people that don’t (for any number of reasons). Just because you have more alts doesn’t mean that you should be able to make gold hand over fist faster than someone else by exploiting the ability to do something easy but lucrative repeatedly. Its wrong, and as someone who has done it, I know it’s wrong.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

Ok. But ascribing one of the seven deadly sins to someone is not generally a good way to have a conversation.

For illustrative purposes only here is the counter example, “Why shouldn’t I get two rewards for two characters. You could get two rewards also if you weren’t too lazy to level up an alt.”

Why hasn’t this come up more often during this discussion? The only argument most people have against alts is that the people with them get more rewards and are therefore greedy. I think the people without alts are lazy and should stop whining and make a 2nd or 3rd character if they want the same rewards as people who put 2-3+ times more work into the game.

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

The Death of Alts...

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Why hasn’t this come up more often during this discussion? The only argument most people have against alts is that the people with them get more rewards and are therefore greedy. I think the people without alts are lazy and should stop whining and make a 2nd or 3rd character if they want the same rewards as people who put 2-3+ times more work into the game.

Just by playing multiple characters you’ll make more than someone that doesnt. However, there is a difference between making more for playing more (which is simply going to happen due to the time investment of multiple characters), and making more because you can exploit a lucrative quick and easy ‘event’ across many characters.

There are many reasons people don’t make alts, and they really shouldnt be forced to if they don’t want to.

The Death of Alts...

mage.3570

“Alts are useless [because I can no longer use them to get extra shinies for something I’ve already done]!”

You know, oddly…I don’t have this issue. Oh don’t get me wrong, I did this exact thing in GW1. You get a lot of lunar fortunes when you can rerun the event quests on 44 different characters. Netted me 8-10 celestial minis each year….and they sold nicely later on. However, I can probably see that this was never really anets intent for the content. In a sense it was an exploit that they allowed because there really wasn’t a way around it. They are fixing some of that issue here. Leveling the playing field a bit between the people that make so many alts, and people that don’t (for any number of reasons). Just because you have more alts doesn’t mean that you should be able to make gold hand over fist faster than someone else by exploiting the ability to do something easy but lucrative repeatedly. Its wrong, and as someone who has done it, I know it’s wrong.

Consider this:

As an experienced trader, suppose I find a lucrative item on the TP. I buy and sell vast quantities of this item in a controlled fashion repeatedly because I have much more gold (or time, or perhaps both) than someone who just started the game. By your logic, this must be wrong! I must not make more money than someone who is inexperienced because the GW2 philosophy is to level the playing field (i..e rewards) for all!

I look at alts as ‘extra resources’ which gives opportunities for ‘extra income’

(edited by mage.3570)

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: Xavos.9357

Xavos.9357

this is to mitigate account sharing,

Xavos – Guardian
Rasz Algethi – Hunter
Fort Aspenwood

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Oh I guess I fully geared my first character with magic and faerie dust then…

And I guess this thing called the TP doesn’t really exist. It must be a lie people tell to make you think you can buy a full set of gear in 3 minutes assuming you have the gold…

The Death of Alts...

TooBz.3065

Just by playing multiple characters you’ll make more than someone that doesnt. However, there is a difference between making more for playing more (which is simply going to happen due to the time investment of multiple characters), and making more because you can exploit a lucrative quick and easy ‘event’ across many characters.

There are many reasons people don’t make alts, and they really shouldnt be forced to if they don’t want to.

Any people who do shouldn’t be hobbled because they do. We’ve discussed this before and I know we disagree and will, frankly, never reach common ground so I’m hesitant to even start… but…

Why is having 1 character the default that everything is measured against? As if that is in some way the proper way to play. Didn’t ANet give us 5 character slots? Doesn’t that suggest that the “correct” way to play the game is with 5 characters?

The Death of Alts...

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Consider this:

As an experienced trader, suppose I find a lucrative item on the TP. I buy and sell vast quantities of this item in a controlled fashion repeatedly because I have much more gold (or time, or perhaps both) than someone who just started the game. By your logic, this must be wrong! I must not make more money than someone who is inexperienced because the GW2 philosophy is to level the playing field for all!

The TP is a completely different animal and topic though. Having multiple characters isnt going to do darn thing for you when it comes to the TP. Buying and selling on the TP is like playing the stock market, some people can do it, some people cant. It has nothing to do with how many characters you have, and having more characters does not give you a distinct advantage.

Someone with a single character can do exactly what you are doing and end up rolling in gold. On the other hand, a person with a single character couldnt repeatedly run CoF p1 and keep getting the unique reward at the end bc they had no other character to swap to. Completely different things.

Any people who do shouldn’t be hobbled because they do. We’ve discussed this before and I know we disagree and will, frankly, never reach common ground so I’m hesitant to even start… but…

Why is having 1 character the default that everything is measured against? As if that is in some way the proper way to play. Didn’t ANet give us 5 character slots? Doesn’t that suggest that the “correct” way to play the game is with 5 characters?

I would disagree that you are being ‘hobbled.’ Simply by playing more characters you are going to make more money, have more stuff, etc. Like I said, there is a difference between ‘playing’ multiple characters, and only having them in order to exploit an easy money maker. I think anet is simply trying to curb a little bit of the latter. This makes having alts more meaningful because they become more than just $$ to people.

Of course, just because we are given 5 slots does not necessarily mean that they have to all be used either. Its a personal choice.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

The Death of Alts...

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Alts were definitely not one of the things they thought of when they decided to add vertical progression to the game. Managing VP is costly on many levels. I do wish they would spend more time on the “and what would this be like with 8 alts” filter as it could save us a lot of grief. I will say the wallet was a nice quality of life feature for altoholics as, at least, we don’t need to juggle karma anymore.