Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

I don’t have time do some dungeons and crap. When i play i play WvW and WvW is only place where you actually need better gear.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Posted by: Heimlich.3065

Heimlich.3065

a dev has explicitly stated they are addign gear progression to the game.

No. You interpreted that into an auto-translated version of a German journalist’s interpretation of an ArenaNet press briefing or interview.

Posted by: adagiophoto.4512

adagiophoto.4512

This is disappointing. I realize that “slight is slight,” but given time and repeated “slight” then power creep is still power creep. Honestly, my toons still aren’t in exotic gear. Now obviously I’m not the hardcore gamer, but I play this game a fair amount and if I feel like I’m falling behind on some gear treadmill I’ll likely only play the game casually as if it were a single player game.

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

Disappointed, but I’ll see what comes of it.

One of the perks of not having to pay a monthly subscription is that there’s really no “quitting,” except for writing the game off permanently as a protest.

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

Posted by: HTXL.2598

HTXL.2598

Here’s to hoping you can also obtain the new gear from pvp!

Posted by: rhiaaryx.9063

rhiaaryx.9063

over 400 responses in 2 hours, no official clarification from Anet. makes me wonder why i’m still bothering with this product.

There was a response: they’re giving us a chance to give our feedback. Sounds to me like the clarification could change depending on the feedback here.

Posted by: Creaky.8596

Creaky.8596

I’m sure there is a perfectly logical explanation for this violation of the entire Guild Wars 2 principle.

Please ArenaNet, explain yourselves.

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

Just out of curiosity…. if this dungeon offers a “gear treadmill” but is totally contained within the dungeon itself, meaning none of the “extra stats” earned work anywhere except in the dungeon, how many people would be opposed to this?

As person totally and vigorously opposed to gear treadmills – this would be acceptable. If they added a stat to this set that would be totally and absolutely useless anywhere outsides of the instance it came from AND if NO other stat on this gear would be better than Exotics, I’d be fine with it.

However, this is a purely academic question, as I have never seen it done that way in any game ever.

The thing I’m most against is this will inevitably remove people from certain content as they will not be geared enough. It does not matter if it is only one dungeon now. After the first they can introduce a second, third and so on. Further removing players from certain content. As far as I know this goes completely against the original vision for GW2

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

One of the perks of not having to pay a monthly subscription is that there’s really no “quitting,” except for writing the game off permanently as a protest.

Well, I’ve “invested” like 50+ Euros in the cash shop for now, because I wanted to support the game. Add a stat grind of any kind, and they won’t ever get a cent from me again.

EDIT: actually, I gave 20 Euros during the last beta week end, 50 more in september/october, and 10 more this month for now. That’s 80 Euros I think (not sure, could be 10 less or more, I don’t count that kind of stuff). I’m ready to give more if they honor what they promised and what I enjoy about the game. Break the promises, no more money, not a single cent.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

(edited by Korrigan.4837)

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

As Risen Thrall would say: “IT BEGINS.”

In all seriousness, I don’t think ANET is stupid enough to introduce gear progression. If they really used the word “Infusion”, then that actually makes me excited for Mursaat!

Posted by: Otter.9238

Otter.9238

ANet, if you introduce a gear treadmill, I am done. Since we don’t have the full story on this gear yet I will give you the benefit of the doubt until everything is known. But I do want to be very clear that I have no interest in my gear becoming outdated, it’s simply not the game model that I paid for.

Posted by: Dogblaster.6713

Dogblaster.6713

ArenaNET:

I played World of Warcraft for a long time and the number one complaint that I always had was this: when you level a new character and reach max level, you have to get the “low” tier of gear (let’s call it T9) before you can get the “higher” tier of gear (T10) before you can get the “heroic higher” tier of gear (T10H). So to be able to play your max level character, you had to grind a dungeon/raid that nobody played anymore except on alts, then you had to grind the non-heroic new dungeon, and then you could play the heroic version (which, inevitably, is where all the serious players are by the time an alt hits max level). So for me to play with my friends, with the people I wanted to play with, I had to beg them to step down (and waste time) to play the older dungeon with me because PUGs were useless.

I bought GW2 and am buying my s.o. GW2 because, like GW1, GW2 wasn’t supposed to be like that. If that is no longer the case, then I will not be buying him GW2. I may not buy extra character slots as I had planned. What’s the point of having eight characters if I can’t have eight characters that are able to play their level-appropriate content without getting new gear (excepting the case where they don’t have level-appropriate gear). With a gear treadmill in place I will have to do what I described about WoW for your game. And if so, I will probably never participate in new content.

If you do this, you are punishing your casual players. I simply do not have the time to grind gear; I don’t even have a single level 80 yet. If you do this, by the time I have a level 80 (unless I power level, which makes me say: why not WoW?) I will have to start a gear grind. No thank you. Just give us new skins, please. Perhaps have different stats, such as combinations of stats that you can’t currently get, but don’t make them more powerful. I loved GW1 because it was all about content and different skins. I hated WoW because it was about the numbers. If I start to have to look up “which armor is best” instead of “which looks best”, I will stop playing this game and I will be very disappointed.

They are not only punishing casual players but everyone who plays GW just because of its ideology. I am by all means HC player, played GW 2 already for 900 hours, spent 250+ euros on gems, done explorable dungeons 200+ times but if they introduce higher tier of armor I will quit immidiately. Even tho I would be the first having this armor, its all against Anets promises and I wont get used to it.

Posted by: Wasselin.1235

Wasselin.1235

They will have to approach ascended gear carefully or ruin every thing they have worked to achieve. It’s definitely something that could divide the playerbase.

“Please find my dear friends… Dead or Alive” -redmakoto

Posted by: Helluin Estel.8495

Helluin Estel.8495

Do we have to expect even Pandas in Lost Shores? :P

But for jokes, if this is confirmed, a such drastic design changement should require an official statement by devs on it, so customers can decide and act accordingly.
I hope we will read something soon, especially before the weekend feature to invite friends. I don’t want to mislead friends too, because change something similar would mean that everything could change on important matters in future development.
That stuff should be unusable out of that dungeon, especially in WvWvW.

I prefer wait and check, before any decision and more specific feedbacks, but, if this is confirmed and it works out of dungeons, I will feel really disappointed as customer and I won’t consider this company anymore really reliable because of previous statements completely different.
I hope this won’t happen.

Since this game was often advertised and promoted focusing on the cosmetic part of gear and being a really different MMORPG from usual ones, rather than a gear treadmill, this would have been really, really misleading, especially just so few months after release. I think many players bought GW2 for what stated before and that Anet can continue with their own original ideas instead of copycat other games.

(edited by Helluin Estel.8495)

Posted by: Mephane.8496

Mephane.8496

I’ll try to keep my rant short, so here it is, for what it’s worth:

- New “slightly better” gear marks the precedent for potentially “slightly even better” gear in future updates. We might very well see the start of a gear treadmill, even if not as steep as in other MMOs. The lack of said treadmill has so far been one of the most appealing features of GW2 to me.
- “Infusions” on “some” of these items to “increase your character’s power”, i.e. those particular items will be sought after, the rest will be widely considered garbage (just as rare level 80 items are mostly just used for salvaging and the Mystic Forge), the same will eventually apply to current, “slightly worse” exotics.
- I invested a significant amount of gold plus REAL EFFIN MONEY to get my current exotic armor + fine transmutation stones in order to deck out my main in gear that both has the stats I need for my spec at maximum and the looks I desire. In order to keep up, I would need to buy another bunch of transmutation stones (note how you need 6 for a full armor set, yet can only buy multiples of 5), oh and the gold spent for my current equipment will then be for naught, too. I could just as well have kept running around in green level 79 gear the past few weeks if I had known that my gear would get demoted to intermediate-until-infused-ascended-gear.
- I have just begun running more dungeons to outfit my second character, now I am seriously wondering why I should even bother, because all that time spent would be to waste, too, as a source for stats (which the dungeon gear in this case is meant for).
- I have accepted all bugs, imbalances etc. knowing that in any case GW2 is such a unique, special pearl of an MMO, only to see it slowly being turned into yet another gear treadmill. When I read these news, it was the very first time that I felt doubt about the future (or, more precisely, my future inside) this game.

(edited by Mephane.8496)

Posted by: dirtyklingon.2918

dirtyklingon.2918

No. You interpreted that into an auto-translated version of a German journalist’s interpretation of an ArenaNet press briefing or interview.

that is the dev’s words in german, talking to a gaming site. it is not paraphrased by the interviewee. it is translated by an actual person.

it is not a google translation or any other web translation app.

there’s nothing to indicate from the the two english news posts we have that there is any of this wishful think and rationalization that’s going on either, and entirely supports what the dev told the german site.

i’ll not the person that did the translation and linked the article to me, was rationalizing this as a good thing too, and that i was based on what the community wants.

i welcome anyone else to do a better more accurate translation. in fact the more translations the merrier.

who doesn’t love wow clones?

Posted by: HTXL.2598

HTXL.2598

Well, I’ve “invested” like 50+ Euros in the cash shop for now, because I wanted to support the game. Add a stat grind of any kind, and they won’t ever get a cent from me again.

So? I’ve spent over $100. More things to do is more things to do, for you and me!

Posted by: Dogblaster.6713

Dogblaster.6713

Has anyone considered this might be a balance thing?

The forums are still full of people that cannot do a dungeon to save their lives. QQ about Lupicus and Alpha on a daily basis and can’t walk around Orr without getting omg-wtk smacked down.

Plainly, the majority of players just aren’t getting as good as Anet expected them to get. Too many habits from other games and failure to adapt.

So how do you help those people along without nerfing the entire game? Add a new tier of gear to shoot for and make the current top tier more accessible to help that base of players while adding some more difficult content on the top end for the more skilled base of players.

This doesn’t mean a new tier of gear is going to be coming every patch. GW had the same base stats on gear for SEVEN years. I’m sure this isn’t a decision they just idly came buy without a litany of reasons behind it.

People should stop counting their chickens and see how all of this ends up working.

You mean to make current content, dungeons easy so everyone can do it with closed eyes? PCHA .. this is just another joke

I think I am becoming too old enought to stop playing mmorpg anyways .. Please ANET, make this another wow clone so I can quit.

(edited by Dogblaster.6713)

Posted by: Kimyrielle.3826

Kimyrielle.3826

Has anyone considered this might be a balance thing?

The forums are still full of people that cannot do a dungeon to save their lives. QQ about Lupicus and Alpha on a daily basis and can’t walk around Orr without getting omg-wtk smacked down.

Plainly, the majority of players just aren’t getting as good as Anet expected them to get. Too many habits from other games and failure to adapt.

So how do you help those people along without nerfing the entire game? Add a new tier of gear to shoot for and make the current top tier more accessible to help that base of players while adding some more difficult content on the top end for the more skilled base of players.

These people usually -have- Exotics (that is – or was, rather, the point about GW2’s gear system – anyone can have the best gear). Adding another layer of gear in a -more difficult- dungeon won’t help them either as it’s safe to assume they won’t get their hands on it if they already can’t beat content that’s easier than that.

In other words – your logic is flawed.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: kingpoiuy.3421

kingpoiuy.3421

Wow you are all so touchy. I like the idea of new gear to work forward to earning. You spent “x” amount of time trying to get the gear you have now so why is it a problem to spend a little bit more time to get some that is even better? You want the game to remain the same forever? I certainly don’t.

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

Im probably done with this game if the stats are better, i love gw2 the way it is and ive had fun every step of the way, better stats would suck one of the main reasons im having fun away. Why Arenanet, why did you give into the wow kid cries?

Posted by: Essarious Quw.8946

Essarious Quw.8946

I thought there wasn’t going to be a gear grind?

I guess we will have to wait till people have bumrushed through the new dungeon to find out. I had to upgrade everything to exotics just to keep up with the damage of my fellow players and get decent drops, hopefully I won’t have to shell out again on my 80s for this stuff too (but I probably will).

Posted by: Khunvyel.3972

Khunvyel.3972

These players go on farming runs with other players in overcrowded areas like Cursed Shore, even if it is not the best place to get money, and they do so until they have enough bling and materials to craft / buy exotic armor and spend karma on the other half of equipment. THEN they go running the dungeons because of the skin that looks cool and they want to have.
Some others even dump gems into the store and get gold out of it to speed up the process. If you don’t believe me; run a dungeon group with 5 full exotic people. Then run the dungeon with the same people in complete bluegreen gear. The difference is shocking.

Posted by: Revrak.8594

Revrak.8594

i hope this is wrong, this game was advertised as a no grind game, i didnt pay for a grind based game…. and if they do, i will just stop buying gems, and just focus on pvp/tpvp.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

Oh PLEASE NO! This is just totally 110% wrong! Say for example that the Ascended weapon skins are in PvP, and they come out of the new PvE dungeon, but ….

WHAT-ABOUT-WvWvW?!

See, the players in WvWvW can already get the top gear via WvW Badges of Honor. They can get the gear they like the looks of from other means, but it’s entirely possible to WvW 100% of the time and be of the highest power. ….that was until Lost Shores.

Another issue is that people will abandon the other dungeons and no longer run them. Don’t think so? If not, then you’re clearly oblivious of other MMO’s with gear-grind progression as their thing. As soon as content with more powerful items comes own, the older content becomes a GHOST TOWN as everyone and their grandmother tries for the more powerful stuff.

Legendary Items: Will they scale to Ascended level now?

This one really is a bother. See, Legendary Items are the most sought after in the land and said to be the best of the best. Sure, they’re just a skin for Exotic items, but they’re a 600-800 gold skin that should hold power. So….will it now be almost completely pointless to get a Legendary when such Ascended weapons are out there?

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

I hope this is a joke. Talk about a slap in the face after all the cosmetic-only progression speech…

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

Also, people quoting the philosophy and manifesto… first of all, it’s a guideline in terms of designing the game and not some fiat that must be rigidly followed. Second, if you really want to hold to that manifesto/philosophy, there are a couple of things within those bodies of text that are not carried through into the game, just saying.

idk why people keep saying this, maybe i need to post it again, it’s on the first page because i hoped people would read that at least before posting:

http://www.buffed.de/Guild-Wars-2-PC-169660/News/Guild-wars-2-November-Update-mit-Item-Progression-1034934/

Dies ist eine Abkehr vom Prinzip, dass eine Verbesserung derGegenstände im Spiel nicht vorkommen sollte – eigentlich sollte das Ende derWerte-Fahnenstange mit den exotischen oder den gleichwertigen aber vielhübscheren legendären Waffen erreicht sein. Arenanet begründet diesesKurswechsel mit dem Feedback der Fans und Spieler. Die Aufwertung der eigenen Ausrüstung sei für viele eine große Motivation.

in english:

This is a departure from the principle, that an improvementof items should not be in the game rather the exotics (and the more beautiful butequal legendaries) should be the end of the value-flagpole. Arenanet reasonedthis change of course with the feedback from fans and players. The appreciation of equip is a big motivation for many

I deleted everything else I said except for this last paragraph that was ignored. Departure from principle isn’t necessarily bad if it makes all parties happy. Ending slavery about two centuries ago was a “departure from principle” for Europe and the US, you think more or less people are happy about that? Similarly, if the “treadmill zone” has no impact on any other gameplay aspect (think of it almost like a HoTM zone), then why does it matter so much to the people that don’t want to participate in it?

Again, philosophy/principles are guidelines…. They’re not written-in-stone, unbreakable laws.

Posted by: chuiu.4985

chuiu.4985

Rare gear is nearly just as good as Exotics, you can do anything in this game in Rare gear with no problems.

This sentence makes me wonder if our friend “knote” is even playing this game. Blue gear nearly as good as exotics? If that isn’t misinformation and nonsense…

Rare = yellow.

Are you playing the same game?

Still not even remotely close. While you can do most content in rare gear, in PvP, the difference between rare and exotic remains significant, for armor, and even more for weapons. Denying that is nonsense.

To show the difference:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Knight#Amount_of_Each_Stat_Per_Armor_Piece_for_Level_80_Items

Also quotes from ArenaNet:

“Fun impacts loot collection. The rarest items in the game are not more powerful than other items, so you don’t need them to be the best. The rarest items have unique looks to help your character feel that sense of accomplishment, but it’s not required to play the game. We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.”

“It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill; it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun rather than just having fun; and of course, it doesn’t have a monthly fee.”

If ANET introduces more powerful gear then I’m gone. No questions asked. I played GW1 for 7 years across around 11 characters. I did everything in that game and kept returning because I knew I could play the game again without having to worry about upgrading my gear on all my characters. I could go do PvE or PvP content without having to worry about being weaker than the next guy because he had grinded out a better set of gear/weapons.

I’ve logged >5000 hours into GW1, if things are going the way they look like they are I won’t even reach half that number on GW2.

ok you played GW1 and you dont know anything about infused armors and insignias?
shame on you

Infused armor takes like 10 minutes to do and doesn’t change the stats of the armor at all.

Insignias moved the stats of the armor onto an upgrade component so that you could apply different stats to different sets of armor. The armor I made before they introduced insignias didn’t need to be changed and still retain the same stats because they instantly had the insignias that had the stats the armor originally had slotted in them. In addition to that insignias were extremely easy to obtain, they dropped on armor from all mobs around the game and you could easily get a full set of radiant or survivor insignias before even reaching max level. These were an improvement to the game, they didn’t add a ‘gear grind’ for higher stat armors.

Posted by: Twaddlefish.6537

Twaddlefish.6537

I am quite interested to see how this develops. If it’s just higher numbers, then it’s a little silly, especially when it comes to making legendaries obsolete.

I am quite surprised a new tier of armour has come in this early, although at the latest I expected it with the first expansion when the level cap is increased, and therefore, better stats are needed for high end areas.

What I’d like to see at the moment is:

Make Ascended items a complete pain in the kitten to get. You cannot have an arbitrary drop chance for a tier of items that might break the game at this point.

Quest/Mission/Crafting Upgrade of Legendaries to keep them top tier and relevant.

Hopefully the new items won’t be drastically more powerful at this point, but I am wary to see how this goes. Hopefully all will be well.

Posted by: fmeister.3945

fmeister.3945

There´s one solution to satisfy most of the upraged people, i guess:

Just give us for wvwvw the same standardized items like you give us in spvp. I don´t care about an item progression in pve, but i´m not willing to do a brainless grind for better items just to be competitive in wvwvw.

Posted by: Heimlich.3065

Heimlich.3065

that is the dev’s words in german, talking to a gaming site. it is not paraphrased by the interviewee. it is translated by an actual person.

it is not a google translation or any other web translation app.

there’s nothing to indicate from the the two english news posts we have that there is any of this wishful think and rationalization that’s going on either, and entirely supports what the dev told the german site.

i’ll not the person that did the translation and linked the article to me, was rationalizing this as a good thing too, and that i was based on what the community wants.

i welcome anyone else to do a better more accurate translation. in fact the more translations the merrier.

The text you quoted is from a Google-Translate translation.

Here’s the google translate link: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.buffed.de%2FGuild-Wars-2-PC-169660%2FNews%2FGuild-wars-2-November-Update-mit-Item-Progression-1034934%2F

Here’s the exact translation you posted:

“This is a departure from the principle, that an improvementof items should not be in the game rather the exotics (and the more beautiful butequal legendaries) should be the end of the value-flagpole. Arenanet reasonedthis change of course with the feedback from fans and players. The appreciation of equip is a big motivation for many”

The exact same text appears in the Google translation.

Did you really think that a human translator used the phrase “value-flagpole”?

(edited by Heimlich.3065)

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Why increase stats and give another bonus to these armor/weapons? This seems to be a good way to kill any other incentive to do dungeons now. I haven’t read this entire thread

Posted by: Luceid.5631

Luceid.5631

Renders Crafting in this game even more useless…
(Don’t tell me about leveling with crafting – one levels too fast in this game even without it)

Posted by: Oreoz.9521

Oreoz.9521

I wish ppl would actually think b4 they post. There is no gear grind. There is a dungeon, that goes on forever. It gets harder and harder if you dont reset it. Eventually your going to hit a wall. To help you get over that wall a new set of gear thats higher than exotics was introduced.

All this, "I am casual, i dont have time to “grind” gear" You dont have to “grind” gear anymore than you are grinding dungeons for dungeon sets or grinding events for karma.

The beauty of this dungeon is that like all dungeons it can be done with any gear set. But heres what you guys are getting confused on. The dungeon gets harder so lets say after doing it 5 straight times your on ur 5th difficulty it becomes too hard, and you have to stop. All you have to do is just reset it back to difficulty 1 and keep going.

No one is making you grind gear. The new gear is for those who want to get further and further in the dungeon. Those who dont want to get further can play on the lower difficulty levels.

Again i wish ppl would think more and not just speculate and blow things out of proportion.

Posted by: Ultima Thule.3950

Ultima Thule.3950

The Fractals of the Mists is made up of nine mini-dungeons, each with its own story and environment. A party of five will enter the dungeon and be faced with a random set of three of these dungeons at a time. Upon completing those three, the party will be transported to a hub to rest, repair, and merch -- and the difficulty scale for the dungeon will be raised. Every time the difficulty scale is at an even number, players will face a special boss encounter.

With great challenges come great rewards. The patch will introduce ascended items. Ascended armors are "slightly more powerful than exotics" and can, in some cases, hold slots for infusions. Infusions will allow you to increase your character’s power.

Unfortunately at least as it is explained there, it’s the classic gear treadmill.

I am as puzzled as most of you, I wasn’t expecting this.

We thought that the MMO market had at this point different offers to cater to different market segments, diversified -- in one side wow and its clones (soft everquests clones after all) and in the other hand, companies who didn’t follow that formula, among them ArenaNet.

They had their own segment in GW, now with the launch of GW2 they advertised all over, that they will keep in their own line.

I wasn’t too surprised though, that some players expected the wow clone endgame, being so ubiquitous in the MMO genre, despite the fact that this game selling point was the very fact that it WASN’T like that -- no classic endgame, no treadmill, no endless grind for gear over and over. Au contraire, the game featured different ways to obtain "end game" gear.

Given that the market have the wow clone model more than covered, it doesn’t make much sense for those players to expect (or demand) the same tired model here. There are plenty of games everywhere that feature it.

While the rest of us hope that the information in the article it’s somehow wrong, or in the worse case, letting ANet know that we aren’t for it at all, if we wanted that, we would be playing wow or its clones.

Keep your offer differentiated, otherwise would be one among myriads of the same.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

If this goes in i will be very very disappointed…. just make them look better kitten >_<

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: dirtyklingon.2918

dirtyklingon.2918

Also, people quoting the philosophy and manifesto… first of all, it’s a guideline in terms of designing the game and not some fiat that must be rigidly followed. Second, if you really want to hold to that manifesto/philosophy, there are a couple of things within those bodies of text that are not carried through into the game, just saying.

idk why people keep saying this, maybe i need to post it again, it’s on the first page because i hoped people would read that at least before posting:

http://www.buffed.de/Guild-Wars-2-PC-169660/News/Guild-wars-2-November-Update-mit-Item-Progression-1034934/

Dies ist eine Abkehr vom Prinzip, dass eine Verbesserung derGegenstände im Spiel nicht vorkommen sollte – eigentlich sollte das Ende derWerte-Fahnenstange mit den exotischen oder den gleichwertigen aber vielhübscheren legendären Waffen erreicht sein. Arenanet begründet diesesKurswechsel mit dem Feedback der Fans und Spieler. Die Aufwertung der eigenen Ausrüstung sei für viele eine große Motivation.

in english:

This is a departure from the principle, that an improvementof items should not be in the game rather the exotics (and the more beautiful butequal legendaries) should be the end of the value-flagpole. Arenanet reasonedthis change of course with the feedback from fans and players. The appreciation of equip is a big motivation for many

I deleted everything else I said except for this last paragraph that was ignored. Departure from principle isn’t necessarily bad if it makes all parties happy. Ending slavery about two centuries ago was a “departure from principle” for Europe and the US, you think more or less people are happy about that? Similarly, if the “treadmill zone” has no impact on any other gameplay aspect (think of it almost like a HoTM zone), then why does it matter so much to the people that don’t want to participate in it?

Again, philosophy/principles are guidelines…. They’re not written-in-stone, unbreakable laws.

rationalization and wishful thinking.

nothing that anet has chosen to tell these outlets even hints in a small whisper at what you say there, that it will be limited entirely to that zone or dungeon and not work anywhere else.

not even a shadow of a wink.

there is no defending this. i don’t know how it gets any more explicit. gear progression is being added to guild wars 2.

if it was specific to the new dungeon or zone, they would’ve added that and avoided this outrage.

who doesn’t love wow clones?

Posted by: replicant.3620

replicant.3620

Yup, GW1 armor progression I thorughly enjoyed as it was similar to DAoC. GW2 is fine currently even if I am carrying 3 sets of Exotic Armor around on my Necro for different builds. ^^;

Peralta | 80 Human Necromancer | Pain Train Choo [Choo] | Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Marauding Scum.6728

Marauding Scum.6728

So much for no gear treadmill huh?
glad I already got my money’s worth out of this game.

Posted by: DJRiful.3749

DJRiful.3749

Hater gonna hate anyways lol.

I prefer this way seriously so I have a goal in game to play. If it is all just cosmetic, well many people will get bored. Not everyone is into fashions.

I’m 50/50. If this allows us to progress in dungeons for gears, I’m up for it.

AND people should stop comparing to WoW. That is plain stupid to think this way.

MMO/RPG for like 8 years across WoW, Aion, Cabal, Rift, TERA, Rak, SWTOR, EQs, etc and including non-MMO but single RPG, Borderland, Skyrim. In the end, what’s drive the game after the story? Gears level not just looks! Sorry buddies, not everyone is into fashion shows here.

Stormïe ~ Tarnished Coast | My little monster <3 – http://valid.canardpc.com/6nbdeq

(edited by DJRiful.3749)

Posted by: Kyouhei.2341

Kyouhei.2341

This is so wrong….. Why would ArenaNet do this? After finally having a nice game where you can easily access endgame gear to actually play the game, they now introduce stronger Items? Why? Just Why? …. .______.
And at those that say “you can still play the game with your exotics”: Yes, You can. But you won’t be satisfied if you know you are running around with the second best Item Set…

Just make them the same as Legendary Weapons. Skins only.

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

Thanks a lot Anet, so all the karma, gold i spent already is now going to be rendered useless and i’ll need to get these new items. I’ve basically spent the last month doing nothing but getting the looks i want and putting them on the exotics i want as it was said this game WOULDN’T be a stats gear grind and only a cosmetics grind.

Not happy about this at all, not happy at all.

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

Posted by: Tathar Lossehelin.5761

Tathar Lossehelin.5761

Bought the game due to no gear progression, very disappointed in this news.

I can only hope it’s been miscommunicated, and actually won’t be a big deal (stats only for the infinite dungeon of infinite hardness sounds OK to me).

Posted by: souldonkey.9534

souldonkey.9534

From the linked article:

Visually, the Karka will feature a heavily armored shell of sorts that players will have to penetrate. ArenaNet has even worked on a new shader technology that allows players to actually see pieces of the armor fall off of the Karka as they wear it down.
That all comes later, though. Initially, players will be unable to penetrate the Karka’s armor and it’s this roadblock that will kick off a series of events taking players throughout the world as they learn about the Karka’s origins and research a means to get through theseemingly impenetrable armor.

This sounds literally EXACTLY like “Hey guys, so the Mursaat have this thing called Spectral Agony, and yeah, it’ll kitten you up. Oh, also you can’t see them. You need to ascend so you can see them and infuse your armor so they don’t 2 shot you. Here, go talk to this dude. He’ll have you do some junk and things and you’ll be all set.”

Am I the only one that sees this or do people here honestly just get the jollies from complaining about stuff no one knows anything about yet?

Posted by: Uorya.6593

Uorya.6593

Only one word : Why?
Game is so awesome right now, why you have to put a more powerful tier? i’m so disappointed guys..

Posted by: cointerm.4612

cointerm.4612

Yep, I see a lot of senseless worrying.

The article states, “Infusions will allow you to increase your character’s power”. Can you be any more vague? For all you know, the “power” increase is +20 Toughness against Karka attacks or some such.

Wait and see. I don’t see Anet as the type to change one of their core-philosophies on game design.

Posted by: Lord Kelvin.8217

Lord Kelvin.8217

NoNoNoNoNo and No again!! Please no gear grind… I loved GW for the lack of grind… I love GW2 for the gear cap… The idea to enhance the cap for gear to improve the end game is not original at all and will make the game too boring!!

Posted by: Qwerty Azerty.1790

Qwerty Azerty.1790

What is the use too get exotic armor now if there is ascended armor that is better?

Posted by: Acuba.4312

Acuba.4312

Thanks for betraying the principle of Guild Wars. Very disappointing. Shame on you.

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

My one rule for MMO’s is: in no way must it seem like a second job.

Until now, GW2 stayed on the good side of this rule. We’ll see if that changes.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.