Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ninth Requiem.3250

Ninth Requiem.3250

I’m guessing that Ascended items can have +Agony Resistance as one of their stats, so instead of, say, Power-Precision-MF, you could have Power-Precision-AgonyResist. The latter, of course, being more useful inside the Fractal, but actually worse than Exo outside.
At least, I hope so.

Posted by: Loumy.7841

Loumy.7841

I agree. It is not possible to serve all types of consumers, trade-offs have to be made.
Brand success is achieved by sticking to your heritage and delivering what your target market expects and wants (your brand promise).

MMOs come and go, but strong brands go on and on.

Your brand is the only asset your competitors cannot replicate. Innovations in a game are easily copied.

(edited by Loumy.7841)

Posted by: Kaaqeli.5108

Kaaqeli.5108

Stop whining for God’s sake, they just gave us some hints not the full system and people are QQing like hell. Just, wait, if it doesn’t work out I’m sure ANet will do something about it, can you just give it a shot before nerd-raging?
Thanks.

^ One of the few posts that are actually making some sence.

Posted by: Xant.3025

Xant.3025

Extremely well said. Someone needs to go straight to the guys in charge and show them this, because the pandering they’re doing to the WoW raiding crowd is going to destroy their game and I can’t tell you how much that makes me scratch my head.

Finally there was an MMO that had put its crosshairs straight on me for the target audience… and now they’re ruining it. After reading all this, I logged on, sat for about 10 minutes thinking, knowing all of the dungeons except the new one were soon to be obsolete, and then I logged off.

I’ll still be there to check out the new content on Friday, but right after I logged off I started looking into a new avenue (another game my friend had been urging me to try) to spend my time on. I went and I checked out the LoL Season 3 patchnotes, too.

To be clear, I was a LOL player daily, almost religiously, before I found GW2, and then I immediately disappeared into it. I played it a TON, and I’ve played LOL once since I arrived here and got hooked into the grinding-is-optional world they created. I’ve been to all the dungeons and I was still enjoying running them anyway, even though I’ve long had a full set of exotics. Now.. I don’t know. I feel so drained of enthusiasm.

Tomorrow I’ll be back on LOL. I might visit on Friday, or pop on to say hi to my friends while we lament the demise of our favourite passtime… but man, what a waste.

(edited by Xant.3025)

Posted by: Amulrei.4973

Amulrei.4973

Experience.

When something that’s a core philosophy changes so very quickly there’s typically something behind the scenes that is forcing that change.

Typically it has to do with money. Sure, it’s a guess, but an educated and experienced one. Things don’t just “change” because things are working. Something in their model clearly isn’t working, and they’ve decided on this course of action to right whatever is wrong.

But even that doesn’t make sense. How is this going to make them MORE money? At best you pacify the minority of people who are trying to turn this game in to WoW while stabbing a blade in the back of your much larger customer base that bought this game based on the principles preached.

Looking at the server populations are this hour, there seems to be no shortage of people playing and if there IS a financial issue, I’d hazard a guess it would have more to do with pitiful level of products/services added to BLTC since launch. Wasting time and resources that could of been spent on such content instead on some foolish project that will drive good numbers of players away just seems little short of madness to me, especially from a financial point of view.

Posted by: dirtyklingon.2918

dirtyklingon.2918

nervous does not quite describe how one feels when one finds out he has been duped decieved lied to and scammed.

this was handled poorly, let alone the fact this has no doubt been in teh works for months now. which leads to teh fact that anet never intended to keep their word to begin with.

the worst part is, you didn’t even make a solid effort to stand by your prelaunch advertisements.

it’s really pathetic.

who doesn’t love wow clones?

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Stop whining for God’s sake, they just gave us some hints not the full system and people are QQing like hell. Just, wait, if it doesn’t work out I’m sure ANet will do something about it, can you just give it a shot before nerd-raging?
Thanks.

They heard us nerd raging before they posted the new blog post. The blog doesnt even acknowledge that we are upset about it.

The stat differential between ascended and exotic is pretty substantial, compounded with more than one item.
Theres no point to obtain exotic gear anymore, the prices of that will go way down.
Theres no point to farm old dungeons because the best stats are waiting for you in the new dungeon.
This is just the tip of the iceberg.

2800 posts says that this is a bad idea.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

Perhaps.

However every other change I could think of in this pea brain of mine would involve much more time in preparation. (Balancing, etc)

This is a stopgap measure to stop what I think is a major reduction in active players. They looked at their data from those who’ve left and I’ll bet you a dollar to a donut that the lack of endgame progression was by far the largest reason people cited as to why they left.

True enough, I also think that is a major reason why pve people were leaving (regardless of how many did or didn’t).

For pvp I see different reasons. For them it will matter in WvW, for which I keep saying it should have equal gear like spvp.

But even if pve players left for this… doing the very thing that your loyal and remaining pve players did NOT want, isn’t really a smart move.
As the forum pretty clearly shows now

That’s why I hammer on finding other ways to keep the leavers interested, without upsetting those that stayed.
Easy? Hell no, you’re very right about it requiring lot of work.
But that’s the game they made, they took long enough to figure this scenario out.
I refuse to believe they didn’t see this coming while they created this game.

I learned something during Haloween about this company: they seem to think they can get away with a lot without getting punished for it.
Breaking their own manifesto seems to be something they think they can pull of as well.
We’ll have to see. Personally I think it will hurt them in the long run, but of course I could be wrong.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Posted by: vysaek.8290

vysaek.8290

vysaek.8290 – you must have missed where i also said “from what I read on the blog post this is what it looks like”

There is information out there, and the information doesn’t look promising. Hey at the end of the day its a FTP game that I enjoy playing with the family. One of the reasons we decided to play it was no gear progression. if that changes and gear progression becomes the norm, we will just find another game, or something else to do.

No one is “raging” stating an opposing opinion is just that, stating an opposing opinion. Sitting back and not saying anything, considering we enjoy playing, would accomplish nothing.

There is information, ok. But the WHOLE information or only a tiny bit?

And what does acomplish stating an oposition in something you dont fully dont know? they only added a preview of what it is going to come and you are all jugding it event without knowing the whole thing! Even without testing it! Its like a baby cry for eating something you dont like, and you event had a taste yet.

There are too many mmorpg doing this or similar systems. Many “haters” here have already tasted enough.

You cant use that “hate” to attack something you even dont know yet at the full. You may have your reasons to have that fear, but it does not give you the right. I prefer to wait and see, and then jugde.

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

We totally understand that you are nervous what awaits you. But this is no reason to break our Community Code of Conduct. We removed several Off-Topic postings and links to pages, that are not related to Guild Wars 2 in any way.

We reopened the thread again, but please read our newest blogpost about the topic of the thread: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear/. These are the most recent information about this topic. Thank you for you understanding.

Dear mod, people know about that arcticle since 15 pages of discussion AGO, and we are all still here to complain.

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

Posted by: greg.3792

greg.3792

If you dont have the agony resistance you cant get into some guilds or pugs as someone else pointed out. Not a great idea.

Posted by: Godomir.7159

Godomir.7159

The stats of the rings and so, works also OUTSIDE the dungeon. I don´t mean infusions, I mean STATS. And works everywhere (WvsW, PVE…)

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

Many of us already read the blog post, which ends with – let me paraphrase again – “Are you as excited about a mechanic we always promised will never find it’s way to GW2 as I am!” and it actually clarifies that the fears were grounded: the Ascended items are not “slightly” better than exotics, they are noticably superior in and outside of your dungeon.
The Infusion mechanics is something that also many of us experienced in other MMOs and hated. I would like an explanation as to why you think that “LFM Healer and Tank, no CC” was horrible enough to remove holy trinity, but “LFM, min rank 9 of X” is all right.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: zexion.5842

zexion.5842

It is lazy design for sure. It’s a quick, artificial difficulty boost as it’s cheaper than spending development time designing a real challenge.
This way, they don’t have to come up with new ideas, new puzzles, more intelligent AI. Just slap an arbitrary condition in the game and you have masses of “new content”.

Youre ridiculous. How is this lazy design when theyre trying something completely new? Just stop playing if everything is disappointing, the community doesnt need rotten apples like yourself.

It’s not new design, it was in GW1. There are plainly obvious boring boss fights in the game currently. Instead of fixing them to be more interesting besides making the boss hit you for half your health with an auto attack they just add a new dot.

It’s lazy design. And I bet everything that agony is the only reason the new dungeon is going to be hard. It’s going to have the same old unfair boring crap the old dungeons have like lazy boss mechanics and one shot auto attacks.

Posted by: Skorner.3701

Skorner.3701

But they are doing this (so far), only in a quite special way.

you can run the instance as many cycles you want, its never-ending, the more cycles you do, the harder it gets so its like infinite harder and harder hardmodes. If you only want to see the dungeon you can do the first couple of cycles that are tuned to exotic gear quality. If you want to progress you can do that too, because it will drop ascended gear that will help you progress. but you wont see new content, only the same as previous cycles but harder.

So far its only speculations that further dungeons will depart from this system

I think they need to reiterate this concept in an easier to understand way. To STRESS the fact that you can run all the content with your current gear, it’s only if you run it multiple times it gets harder and requires the new gear. I have a feeling not many people understand that.

I think content GATED behind gear is what people are against and afraid of. But if they can run the same content a few times before they become increasingly harder and require specific gear, I don’t see why anyone would have a problem with it.

Also I think the infusion crystals should only have affect in these specific dungeons and not in PVP which I think Anet has already mentioned. When people see offensive/defensive crystals they assume it will effect pvp, but it could simply be +5% dmg to (specific mob inside dungeon).

If all of this is true, I beleive people haven’t quite grasped the concept of what Anet is implimenting, I myself was guilty of this. So I hope Anet can make it more clear that people in their current level 80 gear (exotics) can still run all these mini-dungeons, it’s only when you repeat them multiple times things start becoming harder and require a gear incentive.

Posted by: Joiry.2504

Joiry.2504

No.

Its not about a new set to grind, its about the terrible design of these new ascended items. This supposed new long term system is really just an ad hoc hack of the existing upgrade slot.

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

I wouldnt vare if we could get it in another way. Unless you have a whole day to play, you cant get this new gear.

Me for example… I can play MAX 30 minutes without a break. I am a busy guy, i get bored if i do the same thing after and after. So this means, i cant do the new dungeon for the new gear. I dont have time

Its SO stupid that people are going to get better gear than me, because they have more time on there hands

Posted by: Flynch.6034

Flynch.6034

How about you all wait for some freaking patch notes? Why would they state EVERY little detail in a blogpost, that’s ridiculous.

Why can’t you people just have patience, wait for the update and THEN post your feedback about it, now you are only exhausting yourselves on speculations, what’s the point. You don’t KNOW ANYTHING about this update except for the few words, ascended gear, lost isle, dungeon, sPvP map.

Logic doesn’t work here at the moment. My wall has a forehead-shaped dent in it. Personally i’m going to check back later.

But as a passing comment, all of this will have blown over by November 20th. Guaranteed.

Posted by: Akana.1465

Akana.1465

Where are the thousands of hours?

Bottom line, ArenaNet needs to keep people playing. It’s obvious if you read between the lines with this entire update that their current course wasn’t going to pay the bills over time.

Plans change and reality has a way of making ideas fall back to earth.

I suggest that if you enjoy Guild Wars 2 whatsoever, you embrace these changes.

They might just be what keeps Guild Wars 2 afloat for many years to come.

I enjoy this game because of their original endgame philosophy. If this change goes through in the way it seems to be, I won’t give a hoot about it anymore. It’ll be just another MMO.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

(My guess, customer retention is in the toilet compared to their internal projections).

So they flush away the original concept and hope they can refill the bowl with something that smells more like money.

Even if this update sends many formerly loyal customers swirling down the tubes, I’m sure they figure enough of us will cling on to keep things afloat, and soon enough new customers (who, perhaps, enjoy gear progression) will come splashing in.

So, churn, baby, churn. Although ‘flush’, in this case, does seem a more apt term.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: PhiLL.1746

PhiLL.1746

Complaining about the method of delivery is akin to complaining about the end result.

No, it is not.
Pie is one thing. How you eat it, is another one.

Touche.

I’d challenge you to find a quick fix to stop the bleeding that I assert is going on with the player base besides gear.

What I truly believe is this.

ArenaNet underestimated the speed at which the players would plow through the content. Their solution is Ascended gear and (to placate those wanting progression), Infusions (to gate the content and slow down the players).

Why developers continue to believe they can produce content that will “sufficiently challenge” the players to play at the speed they want them to is beyond me, but that’s another discussion for another time.

If their solution to placate those wanting progression is a new tier of gear with higher stats than it is over because it is against everything they told us about this game, like this post points out.
I don’t know why you challenged me since i am a costumer and not a developer.
What i want to see and have is what i paid for and i paid for a game with a different approach on things.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

For now I see virtually no difference between grinding Dungeons multiple times for its cosmetic gear, and this new Agony/Infusion mechanic to better survive the LOWER LEVELS of the endless Fractal Dungeon only.

The kitten hysteria over this whole issue has morphed from a comedy to more of a farce by now.
I really hope ANet will get their heads out of their kittens and start supplying us with some cold hard facts, like yesterday.

I´m so fed up arguing over the stats of one frikken pink (seriousyl?) ring and a fluffy but small and vague blogpost.

Polish > hype

Posted by: vysaek.8290

vysaek.8290

vysaek.8290 – you must have missed where i also said “from what I read on the blog post this is what it looks like”

There is information out there, and the information doesn’t look promising. Hey at the end of the day its a FTP game that I enjoy playing with the family. One of the reasons we decided to play it was no gear progression. if that changes and gear progression becomes the norm, we will just find another game, or something else to do.

No one is “raging” stating an opposing opinion is just that, stating an opposing opinion. Sitting back and not saying anything, considering we enjoy playing, would accomplish nothing.

There is information, ok. But the WHOLE information or only a tiny bit?

And what does acomplish stating an oposition in something you dont fully dont know? they only added a preview of what it is going to come and you are all jugding it event without knowing the whole thing! Even without testing it! Its like a baby cry for eating something you dont like, and you event had a taste yet.

But again your wrong, I have tried this system in LOTRO, its basically the EXACT SAME SYSTEM they tried with radiance gear. Furthermore, as you can see the links others have posted it is clearly stated that this is just the beginning.

Are we really arguing about facts now? Anet releases a blog that clearly states this is just the beginning of all of this, how much more information does one need to form an opinion? This was a game that was supposed to have no gear progression, that is what they said and part of why we bought the game. Now they are doing something different.

pretty sure I have all the information I need, but I’m willing to see what the Dev’s say. Maybe they change their mind (probably not), maybe they change how it’s implemented (probably not). That’s why I’m waiting to see what they say, maybe they have a change of heart (again probably not)…but I like the game enough to give them a chance.

“how much more information does one need to form an opinion?”

All of it.

Posted by: ShadowBlaze.2573

ShadowBlaze.2573

What does Agony do?

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

I have faith Anet will do this right, and the OP post is a solid idea which I think is what they are going for.

Posted by: Ahm.3952

Ahm.3952

From my point of view, this is an expression of the dev teams failure to bring creativity to the players.
Gw1 also had super hard dungeons with different conditions and “out of the box” challenges. To overcome this players had to think creatively in their skill choices and party composition. Gw2 does apparently not have this level of depth. Introducing a new layer of difficulty, and then posing a gear treadmill to overcome it seems quite an uncreative development process in general.
Give us the tools in the basic design of the game to overcome new and hard challenges, don’t simply pose gear upgrades as the solution. . Give the players tools in the basic design of the game to be creative and reintroduce ingenuity!
And to me atleast, it seems quite clear that it might just be a few items at present, but will evolve on itself unless its halted asap. Once introduced, there’s no telling how much worse it will get, especially since it seems they are trying to fix a problem that will only be postponed by this. Collected all the ascended gear, and now those super hard dungeons are easier than before…. what now then?
Horizontal progression works, Gw1 shows that imo. Look back and I think you’ll see that giving the players increasingly difficult challenges and a game design that encourages skillful playing and tampering within the system is the recipe for success.
big sigh and shake of head Wrong direction!

Posted by: Myur.1509

Myur.1509

I liked GW1 for its “no-grind” philosphy. I liked the fact that they promised the same for GW2. I don’t care if the stats are improved only of few points: It’s just ridiculous that they changed their mind, and someway “betrayed” their promises to the player base after only 2 months since release!

I will continue to play the game, but I really hope they will change their mind.

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

Dear Crackbone,

NOBODY complaining is against more character progression and more high level content.

Best regards,
PhiLL

Complaining about the method of delivery is akin to complaining about the end result.

The GEAR is the progression in this game. You can fault the design, but we are where we are.

Likely down the line you’ll see expanded trait lines, more points, more skills, but something is pushing ANet to go this route now.

(My guess, customer retention is in the toilet compared to their internal projections).

An intelligent guess.

Posted by: Celesica.5790

Celesica.5790

Agreed, people are way in over their heads. Like always, whiny brats. It’s sad, it really is.

In order to be heard, you have to make a noise.

So long as you know what you’re really shouting about ^^

So long as you know what you’re really shouting about ^^

And we’ll “exactly” know that in 2 days, so people whining in advance is quite ridiculous. :p

There is a blog post.
What it says is that there will be a new tier of gear with higher stats than exotics.
If there are other things about it they didnt say, it is ALSO their fault. They should write better their blogposts.
We MUST say what we think about the idea this blogpost brings.

You can’t tell what happens inside a whole book in one blog post. You have to experience the journey that book offers. It’s never a fault if you don’t want to spoil everything.

And that blog post, is the cover of the book. Don’t judge the book by its cover.

Posted by: Angrec.6970

Angrec.6970

And agony is built into the dungeon itself, meaning to get good at the dungeon, you need to run that dungeon. Unlike other games where you’re grinding gear for the next tier of content.

You know what’s a better way to build progression into a dungeon?

Difficulty.

Actual complex and difficult bosses and trash.

You run it again and again and get a little further each time, but not because of some arbitrary monster dot that you combat with random gear drops, that’s not skill at all. No, you get further because YOU are getting better. That’s some satisfying kitten right there.

Agony is fake difficulty. Beating it doesn’t mean you got better, it means your numbers are bigger.

And thats why some like it. You wont have to outskill a fight, just outgear it. Such a horrible system that just flies in the face of the manifesto. If they didnt have the dungeon done why didnt they just put a bit of story on it, a giant locked door, and have it open up as time went on. Such a better system then this lasting barrier of entry travesty!

Posted by: Riduy.1682

Riduy.1682

Winter is coming. Brace yourselves for a world of hurt.

Posted by: Rasselbande.2654

Rasselbande.2654

we know, the Thread from Linsey, and thats why we donot agree with that shi….
Anet told us, there is no gear treadmill, now u implement more gear with better stats, rise the stats of the legendary and mention, the legendary will be the legenday?
now its 8% more stats, winterday 8% more and easterevent 8% more….. i want to have fun at the game and not to spend time and time and time, to get the gear to see, oh event, i need to grind for next progressgear…..

Posted by: thelorion.3680

thelorion.3680

Forced to go in dungeons… like in every other sucky mmo.

Its so annoying! -.-

Posted by: Zplus.4217

Zplus.4217

I hope Linsey Murdock is reading this and if not someone should print this out and put this on her desk.

Posted by: Neijala Ceya.1785

Neijala Ceya.1785

No, I hate the new ascended items.

I really don’t like item progression. I really loved that I can play DoA in GW1 with every char I have, even if he just posses a random max armor. All I need to know is how to play the class. I don’t want anything to get easier because of my equipment. I want it to get easier because I get better. It’s a much greater challenge if you need do try a lot until you learn how to avoid dmg and learn the week points of the enemy. Or to use you environment for your purpose.

Posted by: Shayde.2564

Shayde.2564

NO, I hate the new ascended items. These aren’t the droids I was looking for.

Posted by: ValSatari.7061

ValSatari.7061

Not to mention, that’s just magic find, I’m sure there will be a crit dmg one, and every other bonus just like exotics now, so if that’s magic find and a 3% increase on that just one ring to boot, it’ll be a 3% increase to crit dmg as well.

Anyone in their right mind who mins/maxes will agree the new jewelry is far superior and you will need it to progress from here on out.

Has their been a treadmill created? Offically yes if they walk out with those items. What they could have done is just gave us a quest that will result in infusing our items so there would be no gear treadmill, but instead they went with this option where the stats are OBVIOUSLY better and now the new infusions making them REQUIRED. And don’t argue with the point of “you won’t need it if you don’t do the dungeon” so if you dont’ do this dungeon, you won’t need this right now, but what about 3 months down the road?

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

we have a small chance they will abort sthis awful patch now….before any players will get those awful ascended items…

Then when the patch willbe released there will be no hope because they cannot spoil players of what they grinded for even if they are few….

Also news are quite clear on what is about to come…

FEW tier items with more to come in some way….so it clearly says trendmill there…..

No its not worth giving it a shot we perfectly knows how that works from any of the thousands random mmorpg out there.

And trust me if you took away the antigrind system i con t know how GW2 could compete…..

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Kaaqeli.5108

Kaaqeli.5108

Thanks.

They heard us nerd raging before they posted the new blog post. The blog doesnt even acknowledge that we are upset about it.

The stat differential between ascended and exotic is pretty substantial, compounded with more than one item.
Theres no point to obtain exotic gear anymore, the prices of that will go way down.
Theres no point to farm old dungeons because the best stats are waiting for you in the new dungeon.
This is just the tip of the iceberg.

2800 posts says that this is a bad idea.

They actually told us they’re going to release more information. Why wouldn’t they release more information about something that no one actually knows about and yet rage over it like some kitten kids fighting over a lollipop? It was for the best to release the information, and it actually looks quite darn good.

Posted by: Hycinthus.6483

Hycinthus.6483

“…about these new items as I am!”

This is obviously the last paragraph of the news post made by Linsey Murdock. Since the other thread is very long, with single users posting multiple replies, I just had a little idea.

Let’s see, for real, if anet really “listens” to the players.

Just make a single post and nothing else in this thread, replying at the “hope” of Linsey, with a simple “Yes, I love the new ascended items” or “No, I hate the new ascended items.”

And let’s show anet, at least for us people browsing the official forums, how many are the nays and how many are the ayes.

My vote is:

NAY

OP, you should count the YAY or NAY, and edit your original post with the amount, so we can get an idea. Anyway, nay for me, and nay to linsey murdock I am not as excited as you are.

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

I will wait until the patch releases to get full details, but right now I have suspended my participation in GW2 and all future possible releases by ArenaNet.

This is a direct betrayal of the vision you used to sell me this game. You told me there would not be any gear treadmill. You told me that was a part of GW1 you liked, and no interest whatsoever in changing. You even alluded to the fact that there would be a great subset of the gamer population that would never enjoy that type of philosophy.

And, then two months after release, you stuck your collective heads firmly up your collective kitten and abandoned that vision.

If this is a one time change, you need to make that perfectly clear.
If this is “just the beginning of gear progression”, then you will fail.

You will NEVER beat Blizzard at that game. They have multiple teams working on multiple new raids and tiers of gear at any given moment. Many have tried, ALL have failed.

And now, you will NEVER keep the loyalty of the “other” group of gamers… you know, the ones who loved GW1, who supported your company through years of GW2 development, who spend money on gems JUST because we want you to have resources.

You seem to have made your choice. We will do the same.

Thanks for a pretty cool two months. I will be watching closely to see what the kitten you are doing.

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.

Posted by: siepher.9408

siepher.9408

I do not like the exalted gear they will be adding. In fact, the most recent update about it in the news section of this website only confirms what I was unhappy about.

It is gear with better stats and with infusion slots that you will need for future endgame content. It says this literally in that article.

This means that you need specific gear to do specific endgame content. This is a typical sign of a gear treadmill. It also makes current gear, including craftable gear obsolete because the stats are less and there are no infusion slots in it. Again, typical of a gear treadmill.

I am not screaming that the world is ending, but I am saying that I am not happy with this.

And let’s be honest. A fair amount of people were shouting for a carrot and Anet caved to that. They call it listening to their community (although obviously only a part of the community) and now that the tables are turned, we are supposed to stay silent about it?

I don’t like these changes and I think Anet are abandoning one of the core principles. That last part is actually the most worrying to me. You see, as much as I like the GW world there are others out there and why should I play GW2 instead of another game? The reasons for this just became lessened by this new approach. For me it cheapens the game. I as expecting new gear, new places to go, new puzzles etc. A new tier of gear was not what I expected.

I am not going to sit and wait. I will explain this here and Anet knows they will lose a number of players over this. It’s a gamble for them. Personally, I will decide after this patch comes out. This weekend will be telling for me, but as it’s a phased release (only rings right now I guess) it will become more and more clear what will happen.

I will look for the following in the near future:

LF2M for Arah – must have Exalted gear
WvW imbalances
Another tier of gear

They are smart enough to do it bit by bit, but as soon as this type of stuff really starts hitting, it will be my signal to leave this game.

It could be that other people will stay because of it, but I decided to play this game because it wasn’t like other MMOs. This will change that because endgame carrot hunting was one of the things I hated about traditional MMOs.

So not rage, but disappointment. And I am entitled to give my opinion, so don’t tell me to shut up or something. I will complain about this till my decision is final. If I do get to the point that I no longer play GW2, I will also no longer post here.

This may be the most well written response to ascended gear that i have read on the forums. You basically cover my exact thought process about this and possibly many others that have posted less eloquently about their disdain for the new gear.

Right now I am being cautiously optimistic about it. The new dungeon mechanic could be interesting, and there are ways for ANet to make it work.

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

They designed this dungeon so that you can run it multiple times in exotic gear just fine. Its when you start delving deep that you need the Agony resistance which you will hopefully have gained from running it those first few times. Makes total sense to me.

Posted by: Ovan Dawnwalker.3284

Ovan Dawnwalker.3284

Lock this discussion wont make players buy it, but just expel players from this game.
Think about how many players you(Anet) would lose for this ascended thing.

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

The blog specifically states that a treadmill is being added. We don’t want a treadmill, we don’t want the price of exotics to collapse, we don’t want all that dungeon grinding, to have been pointless, we don’t want all the time and money we spent maxing crafting to have gone to waste and we don’t want all the Karma and WvWvW tokens we spent to have gone to waste but most of all we don’t want a kittening gear treadmill.

Please listen to us and scrap this before it is too late.

Posted by: Riaky.8965

Riaky.8965

If people don’t want to do the new dungeon to get Ascended stuff then be my guess. But for me I want all the best stuff I can get and then wtf pew pew the nubs in wvwvw for uberness gears

Posted by: thelorion.3680

thelorion.3680

No, its a terrible idea!

Agony is ok, higher max stats are not!

Posted by: GustavoM.7605

GustavoM.7605

I can’t really say much, since the content has not been released yet. Other than If the game forces me to REPEAT so I can adquire EXCLUSIVE CONTENT…. then yeah. I’ll join the QQ parade, call GW2 another “WoW clone”, and get back to the drawing board.
Just like 28 years ago.

Posted by: Riduy.1682

Riduy.1682

Finish the cycle of Eternal Return~

I actually convinced a friend to buy and play the game because he is busy, but could play from time to time. I’m afraid now every time he logs on I’ll just have to point him at some new benchmark gear. R.I.P.

Posted by: Nystal.5491

Nystal.5491

The UO Part brought back so many memories, spot on Analogy there… kitten you Trammel!