Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

In a couple of months when all the “hardcore” grinders have their Ascended gear, A-net will reveal some even more powerful gear, which we’ll also have to get to compete in WvWvW. And in 6 months some even more powerful gear etc etc etc

And this is precisely what keeps people playing in a game such as this.

Let’s cut to the chase. This isn’t the original Guild Wars. People need character progression. As it stands, progression is pretty thin at the end.

ArenaNet needs people to continue to play. If people don’t play, Guild Wars 2 goes away.

It’s really not rocket science. It’s business. I sincerely believe ANet wanted to have little to no gear progression outside of the expansions, however, they see the writing on the wall. People hit cap and get bored. Bored people have a habit of going other places to play… They also rarely come back.

Problem is, you need these people to fund the game.

than they should have considered this before making their manifesto and their promises about no gear grind…

If you sell a game on that promise, you’re expected to uphold it.

That is regardless of what you say is correct or not: they did promise not to do this.
Any other opinion on this being a good choice or not, is irrelevant.
The game was sold on that promise.

note: Personally I don’t mind gear progression in pve, since you always gear up in the place you need it.
For pvp I suggested a simple fix: equal gear and traits in WvW just as in spvp.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Posted by: PhiLL.1746

PhiLL.1746

Dear Crackbone,

NOBODY complaining is against more character progression and more high level content.

Best regards,
PhiLL

Posted by: kellian.9712

kellian.9712

You knew for the very start what game where you buying, why the rage now :S

I know I bought a game that announced no gear progression.

This ^ – When researching this game It was made clear that any difference in gear would be cosmetic only and their would be no “gear progression” as we have come to know it in other MMO’s.

So the problem for me isn’t so much the “stats” or anything, it’s the idea they have basically changed their philosophy on what the game is and where they want the game to go. If this is just the beginning of what they intend to do, you know this won’t be the last of it.

That’s my problem with it, that they seem to have had a change in philosophy for what they want the game to be moving forward. Maybe I’m wrong and further clarification is needed, but I’ve been in other MMO’s that tried this after the fact and the move was a complete failure.

Posted by: Celesica.5790

Celesica.5790

What the hell happened, Mike O’Brien?

Nothing happened yet. The content patch is not even there yet. Wait, and see.

Posted by: vysaek.8290

vysaek.8290

I don’t understand why so much rage.

If you see numbers, you’ll see that item progr. is null. I mean:

https://d2vn94glaxzkz3.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Ascended-ES.png
Ascended ring: Base of exotic stats + extra stats from jewel / Infussion slot that would NOT give you extra stats instead of AGONY RESISTANCE.
Exotic ring: Base of exotic stats/ Extra stats from jewel

What’s the difference between those 2 rings when ascended ring is UNIQUE equipment? +5 power + 5 precission? WOW, I’M INVINCIBLE!

Sorry, but am I’m the only one that sees:
+50, +50, +10%, +18, +18 + Open slot on ascended
+48, +48, +3% + filled slot on the uniquie

That are +136 stats and 10% against 96 stats + 3% making this item around 33% better. I wouldn’t call this a slight increase.

I see this.
+48, +48, +3% With slot filled: +4% +15 +15

Posted by: GustavoM.7605

GustavoM.7605

t* In order to ADQUIRE such gear.
That’s all I have to say about Ascended gear.

Posted by: Raire.7983

Raire.7983

FWIW, I totally agree. I hate how dungeon-centric GW2 is. I anticipate the proposed mystic forge recipe will involve a dungeon “gift”, based on ANets recent behavior in this regard.

Trying to force dungeon grind seems to be the only idea they have for “improving” the endgame.

Just editing to add that this post appeared in a thread more focused on dungeons being the method to acquire these items, in case doesn’t makes so much sense since being merged into this thread.

(edited by Raire.7983)

Posted by: Crackbone.5710

Crackbone.5710

In a couple of months when all the “hardcore” grinders have their Ascended gear, A-net will reveal some even more powerful gear, which we’ll also have to get to compete in WvWvW. And in 6 months some even more powerful gear etc etc etc

Let’s cut to the chase. This isn’t the original Guild Wars. People need character progression. As it stands, progression is pretty thin at the end.

ArenaNet needs people to continue to play. If people don’t play, Guild Wars 2 goes away.

It’s really not rocket science. It’s business. I sincerely believe ANet wanted to have little to no gear progression outside of the expansions, however, they see the writing on the wall. People hit cap and get bored. Bored people have a habit of going other places to play… They also rarely come back.

than they should have considered this before making their manifesto and their promises about no gear grind…

That is regardless of what you say is correct or not: they did promise not to do this.

And things change. They always do. They likely wanted to keep that promise but quite frankly couldn’t financially.

Let’s be frank, this is a compromise. The type of stat increase you are looking is minimal at best. It’s negligible.

This isn’t 2005 anymore. You need more than just cosmetic items to keep people invested in their characters.

Posted by: Cyferwolf.1089

Cyferwolf.1089

It does beg the question, what happens when we all have ascended gear in our slots and those that want this kind of grind demand yet another carrot to continue playing the game? It’s very disheartening IMHO to see Anet abandon the core principle that grind should be for cosmetics alone, and that skill, not stats should determine the winners.

I’m terribly disappointed by this news, and frustrated by the relative lack of communication and details from Anet in the face of the backlash. Linsey’s blog post was helpful, but seems to confirm the worst of what I feared from this update.

I don’t know exactly how we get the ascended items, and I hope that when the update comes out the system for getting them somehow relieves my concerns. At this point, however; it looks like the beginning of the same power creep and item grind that I found so incredibly distasteful in WoW and other MMOs.

I loved GW1 because I knew when I hit max level and got items with the stats that I wanted I wouldn’t have to grind for something better a year down the road unless I wanted a special skin. That was a huge selling point of GW2 for me, and a large number of my friends. This update seems to throw that away.

Posted by: Drazharm.1829

Drazharm.1829

https://d2vn94glaxzkz3.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Ascended-ES.png
Ascended ring: Base of exotic stats + extra stats from jewel / Infussion slot that would NOT give you extra stats instead of AGONY RESISTANCE.

What’s the difference between those 2 rings when ascended ring is UNIQUE equipment? +5 power + 5 precission? WOW, I’M INVINCIBLE!

That are +136 stats and 10% against 96 stats + 3% making this item around 33% better. I wouldn’t call this a slight increase.

Oh yes, wait, 10 points (5+5) that would increase a… 0,5% the power of your char? So much progression!

And that open slot is for dungeon and useless out of it. Didn’t you read?!

Posted by: Norax.2405

Norax.2405

You will be handicaped if you don’t have it, so you are forced due to stats.

Edit: Nothing to do with agony, agony is just a mechanic that I can deal with.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I’m with you on this one. That ring is significantly better.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Amulrei.4973

Amulrei.4973

kitten me…

I couldn’t of said it better myself.

Posted by: Azarul.2064

Azarul.2064

My thoughts:

Alot of people, myself included, came to GW2 for a casual experience. WoW was like another job for me and about cost me my marriage. However alot of those same people got to max level and missed thier carrot on a stick. For everyone of the people here complaining about gear treadmill there is 2 people that left because of boredom. Anet is trying to bandage that wound imo.

To be clear I am not one of them. I love this game and will continue to love it no matter what comes of this ascended gear.

vysaek.8290

[/quote]

This ^ – When researching this game It was made clear that any difference in gear would be cosmetic only and their would be no “gear progression” as we have come to know it in other MMO’s.

So the problem for me isn’t so much the “stats” or anything, it’s the idea they have basically changed their philosophy on what the game is and where they want the game to go. If this is just the beginning of what they intend to do, you know this won’t be the last of it.

That’s my problem with it, that they seem to have had a change in philosophy for what they want the game to be moving forward. Maybe I’m wrong and further clarification is needed, but I’ve been in other MMO’s that tried this after the fact and the move was a complete failure. [/quote]

The game isnt even complete. You cant jugde what the top is in the “gear power” only by a tiny piece of it. I dont see any change of phylosophy, because the new gear offers a minimal progresion.

Posted by: Zplus.4217

Zplus.4217

No I am not excited at all with the new gear grind.

Give us the skin or bump up our already grinded exotic gears.

Posted by: Crackbone.5710

Crackbone.5710

Dear Crackbone,

NOBODY complaining is against more character progression and more high level content.

Best regards,
PhiLL

Complaining about the method of delivery is akin to complaining about the end result.

The GEAR is the progression in this game. You can fault the design, but we are where we are.

Likely down the line you’ll see expanded trait lines, more points, more skills, but something is pushing ANet to go this route now.

(My guess, customer retention is in the toilet compared to their internal projections).

Kimbald.2697

And things change. They always do. They likely wanted to keep that promise but quite frankly couldn’t financially.

Let’s be frank, this is a compromise. The type of stat increase you are looking is minimal at best. It’s negligible.

This isn’t 2005 anymore. You need more than just cosmetic items to keep people invested in their characters.

In the case of this game, that promise wasn’t a ‘light’ one that you can change your mind on.
It was the very CORE of their intention. It was what would set this game apart.

Only a few months in they would already change their minds on that?
Extremely poor business, it seriously is.

And that’s regardless of the fact if you are right or not. You make a very good point, but for the promises they made for this game: they can’t just ‘change their mind’ on it…

Posted by: Ardrea.7045

Ardrea.7045

My response to the dev’s closing remark: “I, like many others, came here because there was a promise not to have an end-game gear grind and end-game gated progression. So, count me as very disappointed.”

If the new gear were a very small set of specialty items only useful to complete a single dungeon, that’d be okay. If they were no better than exotics in normal, non-dungeon, PvE, that would be tolerable. If they were only better than exotics in this one new dungeon, maybe I’d live with it. But they’re not. The total stats from these are better than the game’s promised performance cap, and I don’t like that at all, not one bit.

For those who say they’re only trivially better, then why bother having them be better at all? That argument goes both ways — we all -know- they’re better, and that’s why some people want them so badly. And when the grind-minded players have those, they’ll want more, new, better, higher, stronger, and so on.

The new dungeon has a gating mechanic in it; I don’t want that either. It will breed elitism and it will lead to people being left out and kicked out of groups just on the basis of their gear.

I think Arenanet should go back and revise their Manifesto — go over all the great things they claimed before and tell us which ones they’re now giving up on.

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

You guys are really nuts. I don’t think Anet is gonne make this new gear hard to obtain. When you always see the same stat on gear doesn’t feel right if you ask me.

Then maybe you should of asked that of yourself before purchasing the game. This dogma was known months before launch, with AN officials preaching against gear treadmills many times.

Then again, I guess the joke’s on us. We fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Yes you are right.

They are businessmen, what better way than to lie to your player base to increase the amount of them? They are implementing treadmill grinding in small doses, so they can limit the complaints. But soon enough, everyone will wake up to find that the game is a complete grindfest and wonder what happened? Because they failed to see the signs beforehand.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

The core principle is what made Guild Wars great. Abandoning it means removing everything that makes GW 2 different from the other MMOs.

There’s hundreds of MMOs out there for hardcore players. Is it really that bad to have just 1 for casuals?

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

No. It sets a bad precedent.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: dirtyklingon.2918

dirtyklingon.2918

funny because there are a whole laundry lists of reasons other thank lack of wow style gear progression that would be likely culrpits for people leeaving the game

broken event chains
farming dr
manipulated drop rates on a constant basis
disrepectful forum moderation
disrepectful anet reps
black lion chests
too large a focus on jumping puzzles in halloween event perma content
too late repsonse to massive bot infestations
seemingly low pop servers listed as high
missing features promised for launch, for a launch that would only happen “when it’s ready” such as guesting.
knee jerk price hikes on cultural skins to extreme amounts
hilariously underdeveloped spvp

and do they think this is going to bring people back in a long term way? or even in a short term way? this is just another knee jerk reaction based on seeing initial surge of gem sales drop (which should be expected).

people didn’t leave because of lack of progression. they left because anet are compulsive liars that talk big then when it comes to walk the walk do the polar opposite of what they talked big about.

who wants to support a company like this? that claims things are among their core principles, fundamental design desicions, then takes the very first opportunity to go back on those claims?

anet set these expectations themselves, with their own rhetoric. they have only themselves to blame. they are the only ones to blame. they are not handling it well either.

who doesn’t love wow clones?

Posted by: IonicBlaze.7948

IonicBlaze.7948

Q: ……………….

A: No !!!!!!!!!!!!

The spirit of Guild Wars died on Nov. 13 2012. R.I.P.

vysaek.8290

I’m with you on this one. That ring is significantly better.

Now, open the picture again and look at the Filled Slot of the right ring. then you can trully see the real diference between those 2

Posted by: Marvyra.1729

Marvyra.1729

Agreed, people are way in over their heads. Like always, whiny brats. It’s sad, it really is.

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

My friends and I bought this game because we did not want to have gear treadmills. This is a very bad bad bad evidence that they are going to start turning toward gear treadmills. Even if it is slight improvements of stats over exotics it simply shows they are creating a gear treadmill.

the further they go the more they are changing the aspect of the game which was to remove the treadmill.

I am not excited about this addition of accension gear as this will create the slippery slope of gear treadmill.

Posted by: Fozzik.1742

Fozzik.1742

No to new tiers of gear with higher stats and required gear grind.
No to gated content.

There are hundreds of suggestions on this forum for ways to create additional horizontal advancement and make playing the game as originally created more fun and rewarding. You could have taken any of those suggestions and run with it, and it would likely be better than what you chose to do.

This will not bring back players who didn’t like this game, and it will push away players who loved this game. Terrible move.

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

As we release more new end game content in the future, you’ll see more Infusions and Ascended item types being added to the game. Eventually, you’ll be able to kit yourself out with a full set of Ascended gear and high end Infusions to help give you the edge in end game content.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear/

We didn’t want the endgame to be something you could only experience after a hundred hours of gameplay or after you reached some arbitrary number. We wanted it to be something that players got to experience every step along the way, spread out across the entire world of Tyria, so we’ve introduced game elements that you’d normally associate with “endgame” at every level and every possible opportunity.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-endgame-reimagined/

It looks like there is now a specific location for the end game and you need an “arbitrary [infusion] number” to get there.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

Ok cool. I was afraid there was some glaring problem I couldn’t see.

There is a glaring problem: the game was always advertised as one without gear treadmill, but just 2 months after release, gear grind is introduced.
A lot of people playing GW2 chose the game because it promised no such treadmil and experience different from other MMOs.

If we wanted to play game with gear treadmil, we would play one of tons of games on the market, many of which do it better and have f.e. better support, in-game support, account restoration, re-imburesement in case of bugs etc.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Agreed, people are way in over their heads. Like always, whiny brats. It’s sad, it really is.

In order to be heard, you have to make a noise.

Posted by: Spryt.8012

Spryt.8012

yes but the point is Anet said they would not have gated content at 80. Meaning you do not need to grind dungeon A before you can do dungeon B. As there will only be one dungeon now that requires infusion gear it’s not a big problem. But I think what most are worried about is how it will be after a few more are out. For a new level 80 will they have to grind some old dungeon first before they can do new ones?

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

People are moaning because ArenaNet listened to the people moaning for a carrot on a stick – instead of staying true to their loyal fans who were looking the one game which doesn’t.

The problem isn’t a 2 point increase in stats – the problem is that the very same people who have already started getting bored because they rushed through content and spend hours and hours on getting legendaries will be bored again in no time. And then we’ll need another increase in stats to pacify those people, only to have them getting bored again a few weeks later…it’s a vicious circle.

Polka will never die

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

It’s rather the other way around: IF you want to repeat the dungeon, then you need to have ascended gear (or rather: the infusions).

If you plan on doing the dungeons only once or twice, I don’t think you NEED the Ascended stuff.

PhiLL.1746

Complaining about the method of delivery is akin to complaining about the end result.

No, it is not.
Pie is one thing. How you eat it, is another one.

Posted by: QSatu.1586

QSatu.1586

GW2 wasn’t against progression. it was against tedious, incredibly time consuming progression unless it was optional stuff. If Ascended gear isn’t incredibly hard to obtain then it is fine. If people complain when this gear isn’t that hard to obtain then they are hypocrites b/c they should have been already complaing about rare>exotic gear progression for the past 2 months.

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Making noise doesnt mean donning your tinfoil hat, plugging your ears and screaming as loud as you can, which unfortunately is how people seem to think these forums work.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Absolutely disgusted by this. I bought the game because I was fed up of gear treadmills and after 7 years of GW1 not having one and the developers saying they wouldn’t put in one you would think there wouldn’t be one.

But nope, they didn’t have the balls to stick through with it for longer then 3 months and are having to go the WoW clone way. I don’t know why so many developers decide to do WoW clones when every single one has failed.

Absolutely disgusted by this. What about all the Karma I spent on exotics? What about all the time and money spent maxing crafting disciplines to get other exotics? Worthless now as we have to go into dungeons to get ever increasing stats. I’d care more but it looks like I am stopping playing with the next patch.

GW1 for 7 years, can’t even get GW2 to 7 months.

Posted by: kellian.9712

kellian.9712

vysaek.8290 My only argument against that is the following:

When you are told something won’t happen or won’t be included, then it gets included after the fact, no matter how small that IS a change in philosophy.

I said this in another post but Lotro tried this, and it was a miserable failure and it took them some time but they eventually got rid of it and took it out of the game. The tried almost this EXACT thing.

Clearly we all need to wait on a dev post on the subject to get further clarification but from what I read on the blog post this is what it looks like.

Posted by: Flynch.6034

Flynch.6034

So long as you know what you’re really shouting about ^^

vysaek.8290

People are moaning because ArenaNet listened to the people moaning for a carrot on a stick – instead of staying true to their loyal fans who were looking the one game which doesn’t.

The problem isn’t a 2 point increase in stats – the problem is that the very same people who have already started getting bored because they rushed through content and spend hours and hours on getting legendaries will be bored again in no time. And then we’ll need another increase in stats to pacify those people, only to have them getting bored again a few weeks later…it’s a vicious circle.

That happens in every game, even MMO.

Welcome to reality.

Posted by: Celesica.5790

Celesica.5790

You will be handicaped if you don’t have it, so you are forced due to stats.

Edit: Nothing to do with agony, agony is just a mechanic that I can deal with.

LOL. xD

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

I don’t mind the addition of new armor tiers AS LONG AS they’re fun to obtain. Vertical progression is good, as shown by most offline RPGs ever created. Boring and repetitive vertical progression is not, as shown by most MMORPGs out there.

Posted by: Bardes.1870

Bardes.1870

Oh yes, wait, 10 points (5+5) that would increase a… 0,5% the power of your char? So much progression!

10 more points and 3% better magic find for one ring.

You may be able to have 30 more points and 9 better magic find from 2 rings and back slot.

If you also consider that there are actually 5 jewelry slots, 6 equipment slots and weapon slots ….. you’ll not “just” have 10 more points but 100~ 200 more points. You don’t even need to discuss the “for dungeon only” slot. New gears will just be better than old ones.

Posted by: Skorner.3701

Skorner.3701

I agree there should be a choice on whether or not you want to aquire this special gear or not. They could do like many other MMO’s do and have you decide on doing Easy Mode and Hard Mode version. Easy Mode = no need for the gear, while Hard Mode forces some gear progression and infusion crystals.

But there should be NO DIFFERENCE in the content itself aside from difficulty, sort of like Blizzard is doing with Monster Power in Diablo 3, where you can choose to do the harder version to challenge yourself, but its the same content.

Posted by: Cyferwolf.1089

Cyferwolf.1089

They will have stat bonuses, otherwise there wouldn’t be offensive/ defensive/ omni modifiers

I don’t think so. I’d guess offensive/defensive/omni probably just gives:

extreme damage bonus against karka with small agony mitigation.

extreme agony mitigation with little karka damage bonus.

Moderate agony mitigation and moderate damage bonus versus karka.

vysaek.8290

That’s my problem with it, that they seem to have had a change in philosophy for what they want the game to be moving forward. Maybe I’m wrong and further clarification is needed, but I’ve been in other MMO’s that tried this after the fact and the move was a complete failure.

The game isnt even complete. You cant jugde what the top is in the “gear power” only by a tiny piece of it. I dont see any change of phylosophy, because the new gear offers a minimal progresion.[/quote]

My only argument against that is the following:

When you are told something won’t happen or won’t be included, then it gets included after the fact, no matter how small that IS a change in philosophy.

I said this in another post but Lotro tried this, and it was a miserable failure and it took them some time but they eventually got rid of it and took it out of the game. The tried almost this EXACT thing.

Clearly we all need to wait on a dev post on the subject to get further clarification but from what I read on the blog post this is what it looks like.[/quote]

If you say “we need to wait a post on the subject to get further clarification” then i dont see what is the point of raging in the forums and give massive wrong info that even we dont know about, yet.

Posted by: Azarul.2064

Azarul.2064

Ok cool. I was afraid there was some glaring problem I couldn’t see.

There is a glaring problem: the game was always advertised as one without gear treadmill, but just 2 months after release, gear grind is introduced.
A lot of people playing GW2 chose the game because it promised no such treadmil and experience different from other MMOs.

If we wanted to play game with gear treadmil, we would play one of tons of games on the market, many of which do it better and have f.e. better support, in-game support, account restoration, re-imburesement in case of bugs etc.

I dont understand this statement. So your saying the ONLY reason to play GW2 is the no gear progression? What if someone loves the combat of gw2 over WoW but also wants gear progression? For the record I am not infavor of one way or the other I just dont care for this statement.

Kimbald.2697

My biggest question is: if they introduce new content in a few months (as they say they will keep on doing), will it than be scaled to this new gear?

Because if they introduce new gear after just a few months already, than they surely will do that again later.

What if I don’t play a lot for 3 or 4 months and than come back?
Will I be able to do all content still in my current gear?
What about 6 months? Next year?

THAT was what their promise was about.

PhiLL.1746

We didn’t want the endgame to be something you could only experience after a hundred hours of gameplay or after you reached some arbitrary number. We wanted it to be something that players got to experience every step along the way, spread out across the entire world of Tyria, so we’ve introduced game elements that you’d normally associate with “endgame” at every level and every possible opportunity.

What the hell happened Mike Zadorojny ?