Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

I got infracted for defending ANet and for saying it was nice knowing someone about to leave. Wow

On a side note: If ANet completely turned around and said “We were wrong, we’re not going to introduce this” it would completely make them look weak and like they have no conviction to what they’re doing.

Actually a company that admits they made a wrong decision and they are going to fix it would not sound weak. They would sound intelligent and wise. Unfortunately people sometimes mix up weakness with intelligence. It’s one of the things that makes the world go in the wrong direction. Please A.net think about what you are doing and does it match what you stated to the masses the game would be….. lateral gear.

If there is an uptick of any amount that no longer means lateral. Exotic should = End gear.

Yes I want challenging dungeons that is the motivation. Fun game play. Not gear increases.

Posted by: drwookie.6391

drwookie.6391

Why is everyone calling the pro-treadmill people “hardcore”? They aren’t hard core one bit, they just want their numbers inflated.

The people who are actually hardcore are the ones that consider a challenge to be more difficult content and PvP… not “hard” content that is nothing more than the same old same old with bigger numbers flying around. /rant

Its like the game version of Dragonkitten!!

A power level of 9000 was impressive…until everyone and their sister went super saiyan and had power levels of 90000000. But what does it matter when your enemy is also equally buffed up? Its just bigger numbers, same challenge.

Posted by: tkalamba.2541

tkalamba.2541

We WoW now.

Seriously, anet, remove the tiers and go back to what worked in Guild Wars. No point in even coming into WvWvW unless you’re 80 with full ascended. You messed up by trying to cater to raiders when the vast majority of your population has zero interest in raiding.

GW2 isn’t perfect but it does have its own identity in an overcrowded genre. With every change like this it just takes one more step towards being another WoW clone. I implore you, don’t let that happen. You’re better than that.

I dont have issues WvWvW and I’m not running full Exotics? So what difference will the slight stat increases really make?

Lord Lefteris – Engineer [Sanctum of Rall]

Posted by: Maikahn.7108

Maikahn.7108

I’ve been trying to think of the right thing to post to express how betrayed I feel by these changes, but after 112 pages without an official response, I doubt it’s worth it. Regardless, I’ll add my voice to the many people who do not want these new gear changes to be implemented.
I’ve stood by all of the bad decisions and problems within Guild Wars 2 (skins in lockboxes a prime example, not to mention bad experiences with customer support) but this one I cannot just shrug off and continue to sink my time into the game knowing that what I’ve grown fond of will soon be tainted.

Posted by: iniside.4736

iniside.4736

Colin. As Lead Game Designer we ask to for answer for it. I have hard time believing that you approved it after all the time you assured us that this exact thing won’t have and place in this game.

Posted by: Lord Funk.1694

Lord Funk.1694

I do not like this:

New Ascended Gear & Infusions

Introducing Ascended items, artifacts of great power that can be improved by a special new type of upgrade called Infusions, which can be found in dungeons.

Sounds to me like You’re trying to force us to do Instances/Dungeons to get that infusion thing whatever that is.

A step to try to please those loud voiced standard WoW Raid/Instance grinding self proclaimed 1337 players, while not giving those that detest instances any other way to get it (those of us that acctually chose to play GW2 as it was supposed to not be like those other generic standard WoW Wannabe MMO’s).

Not a good or smart move imo.

LoTRO tried to force all players to grind instances with radiance (in the Moria Expansion) and scared away so many players that they never really recovered and had to go F2P eventually. Also eventually they had to scrap radiance anyway.

Why do game companies have to listen to that little group of loud voiced Elitist MMO players, that stalk all game forums and that were brought up thinking all MMO’s have to be like WoW and all end-game must be about grinding instances ???

I have kept away from these Forums until now, as usually the atmosphere those players create on forums takes away my mood to play the game itself.

Now that i read the update info, I felt forced to write something.

Some simply do not want to do instances and dungeons at all.

I personally play an MMO for the Massive Multiplayer feeling and have ever since Beta in Ultima Online. I dont want to be stuck in small instances for 3-5 players not even with raids for 24 players as they are instances. I want to play in a world that feels ongoing and alive. Not instances that might as well be single-player game with Multi-Player option.

I have 1 LvL 80 2xLvL 40 and not done any dungeon so far, hardly done the story instances either as I find that boring as Im cut off from the lively open world.

So far I have enjoyed GW2 more than any other MMO since UO. This might change that.

Just as noone should be forced to PvP or WvWvW, noone should be forced to do instances/dungeons. We have paid for the game to play (some even paid for more bank or bag space, cosmetics whatever), we are not paid to play.

We should be able to play the style we preffer not be dictated what style we have to play like forcing us to do dungeons or else have sub-par gear (just because some WoW players are loud voiced on some forums and complain as soon as any MMO isn’t like WoW) .

That’s exactly what radiance did to LoTRO. All other gear became sub-par and only viable gear was the radiance that could only be gotten in certain instances. LoTRO turned into another instance/raid end-game focused MMO with that and it scared so many away that played LoTRO because it wasn’t WoW.

If I wanted to play WoW, I would and Im not. I want to play GW2 because it was not going to be like that.

Lord Funk of HOD/Holy Order of Dragons game Guild (since 1996/97)

http://hod-home.guildlaunch.com

Posted by: MikeFish.2103

MikeFish.2103

I dont have issues WvWvW and I’m not running full Exotics? So what difference will the slight stat increases really make?

It doesn’t matter if it’s just 1 stat. I will always try to get that item. It’s not strange to not want to have a disadvantage (however overcomable by skill) in WvW. It’s not strange to want your character(s) to be the best they can be in a dungeon so you can be the best for your team. It’s the nature of these types of games.

I wish people would stop arguing that minor improvements don’t matter because they do to a vast number of people. All the time I spent on my exotics will someday be pointless when I upgrade. I’ll never get back that time I wasted getting exotics. I’ve still not equipped all my characters with exotics yet and now I don’t know if I should even bother.

I just logged in for 2 minutes, then couldn’t stomach anymore.

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

they are doing this because of constant posts with “whats point of gear i have max already” but again its not wow.

Posted by: RobinotX.1604

RobinotX.1604

The thing you’re failing to realize is for every person who hates this, there’s a person who loves it.

I do believe this thread is a clear indication that the numbers tip towards the “we hate this” demographic.

I already said what I was going to say about this move, now I’m just gonna sit back and wait.

I think the most people who like this sort of change are still playing and aren’t paying attention to the rage on the forum.

My guild for example had no idea what was going on. Then I said what was happening and they reacted like.. mmkay cool. And that is only my guild who is mainly casual.

I really want to ask al the hater this: What where you doing at endgame, and how do you feel you get lied to?

There is really no difference with walking a dungeon for a certain gift or token. In this case we don’t even know how the dungeon will roll and how much the rings will drop. Maybe you get them after one run in the dungeon which is really easy. And maybe it is really difficult at some point.

TBH, I am psyched up for this kind of stuff. I played WoW, stopped, because one: The Subscription. Second: The Community. Third: The Lore wasn’t interesting enough for me. The story ended for me with the Lich King. After that, I didn’t really feel it at all.

Guild Wars Lore, is fantastic. I really love the story and can’t wait how it unfolds further. And to be honest, if people are really leaving because of this? Then the better tbh, you would only hate more when other things come :p.

If you will enjoy other games more, you are free to. Nobody is forcing you to go to that dungeon. GW2 is still about skill. When I PvP with my alts and I just use random build, I somehow always stand first or second? That’s more about skill tbh.

A 8% stat increase in WvWvW, is laughable. I was playing WvWvW with my level 10 Mesmer and still won most fights :o. More with tactical thoughts over, pure stats tbh.

Posted by: Zen.1740

Zen.1740

I heared rumors that a few devs of ANET quitted their job lately? Does that has anything to do with ANET hurting their own principles? If so RESPECT!

Can you provide a source for this claim, please.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2,
no one enjoys that, no one finds it fun.” – Colin Johanson
R.I.P. in piece, Guild Wars 2, August 2012 – September 2012

Posted by: Khaun.4321

Khaun.4321

The thing you’re failing to realize is for every person who hates this, there’s a person who loves it.

Yeah there’s 5600 posts in this thread because people are happy with the changes.

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

they are doing this because of constant posts with “whats point of gear i have max already” but again its not wow.

Well, yeah. Problem is that they’re now blatantly catering to WoW fans over their own fans. Most of who already left GW2 for MoP. It’s asinine.

Posted by: alanis.6094

alanis.6094

A 8% stat increase in WvWvW, is laughable. I was playing WvWvW with my level 10 Mesmer and still won most fights :o. More with tactical thoughts over, pure stats tbh.

If the person was close to as good as you, you would have lost. 8% is a fairly significant difference in stats.

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>
Since 1994 – undeadlords.net

Posted by: Miragee.3604

Miragee.3604

Starting for this thread people who hate gear grindfest are far more superior. Its more obvious because, even ppl who didnt event know a piece of GW1 came to GW2 because they said that there arent going to have any gear treadmill.

you can also find ppl who dont use their brain to not beeing able to understand what imply this kind of update.
Plus, many said “its only one ring”, i would say, learn to read, they said in december they want had a tons of ascended item…. ( weapons / armor.. etc ).

I Also suppose they start with only one ring to see how people react, a test to see if they can go one with gear treadmill….
In this way, they are “smart” since the stat increase dont look huge at the first look and people forget that many other powered stuff coming out later.

Anet really fail this move.

I’am also really happy to see so many people not liking this.

They also used Magic Find Rings to let the difference look even smaller. But that case is, that the new ring has about 40% more Magic find that the old one. That percentage would also apply on crit. damage items. The rest of the stats are just under 10%. Looking for a full new gearset that is 10% better than the old ones? And about 40% (!!!) better in some stats? That’s not a little change by any means, that’s insanity. And they even said that is only the start and they will build upon that system of a great item progression.

There are countless options for players who like gear treat mills. There are near to no options for players who don’t like them. Why should Gw2 jumping on the bandwaggon, lying their 7 year old fanbase and all newcomers, just to become a mass product that will have the same fate as any other wow-clone coming out over the last years? That don’t make sense to me.

(on a side note: I wish new GW1 content/Addon and heared others bringing the same wish. I don’t really think it will come but maybe a miracle happens and anet produces a new GW1 addon where they stand to their roots.)

Posted by: Lomax.2463

Lomax.2463

good god you people cant read !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i am amazed there so so many that cant comprehend what Anet is doing

OK FOR THOSE THAT HAVE NO CLUE.

1. There is no stat increase !!!!!! they took away the upgrade slot and put the points that you would have gotten from the upgrade slot into the main stats of the item!
that is right Ascended armor is worse then exotic as it is not as customizable as normal armor!

2. Infusion slot is for negating a new condition call Agony that will only be in this dungeon! that is right it is worthless in WvW or any place outside this dungeon.

3. getting exotic gear is easy and is full customizable with upgrade slots, Ascended armor is hard to get is less useful as real exotic gear outside of this dungeon.

4. this is a cool great new dungeon , it is scalable for the progression players but none of it is any use outside of this one dungeon. it will allow player to brag about i hit 27th level of infusion !!! woot for me but as infusion does nothing outside of the dungeon why would a WvW player even care ?

this is like a PVE dungeon version of the PVP ranking , i think its great .

Posted by: Karma.5987

Karma.5987

I waited all day to post.
Reviewed all the pages.

Part of me is just soul sick to find my beloved GW2 heading towards a dreaded gear treadmill.

Am I surprised? Not after the blc mess from Halloween. That just felt so money-grabbing as to be unethical. It made me start to realize, they don’t want to make a good living off a great game, they want to make money at any cost to their players.

This feels the same way.

I want to support the game. I want to see change and growth. But I think they had it all in place with an update 3 months in without this:

1. fix the current content
2. add things we really want to buy in the gem store
3. let fun things like town clothes, dyes, pets continue to drop sometimes from the world
4. give us more town clothes
5. let us craft more fun things

And as for progression? Add to our existing gear if you must for icky gear gating in certain dungeons, but don’t make our exotics obsolete this soon. Or ever.

You have the chance here to make a game like none other. Fix and add to depth to what you have. Give us more skins to go after in dungeons. Give us more titles to want. Give us multiple ways to get everything.

I really hate dungeons in this game. I need to do Arah to finish my story and have put it off for 2 weeks. I hate the dungeons in the game that much. Mini dungeons? Those can be great (mad king!). Now thinking I have to do a dungeon over and over to get this gear? I know I don’t HAVE to, but I am enough of a completionist that yes, I will probably try. If I am here. If I can stomach it all again….

Anyway, rambling. Is this dev team not aware that if they need a money machine, they have a very empty gem shop just waiting for them????

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

1. There is no stat increase !!!!!! they took away the upgrade slot and put the points that you would have gotten from the upgrade slot into the main stats of the item!
that is right Ascended armor is worse then exotic as it is not as customizable as normal armor!

Stop spreading misinformation.

The new gear IS better even when considering the upgrade slot. It’s as good as an exotic with an upgrade + 8% extra.

So sorry but you are actually just wrong, despite all the many exclamation points.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Basic math (an addition in fact) would show you that the secondary stat on that Ascended magic find ring got from 63 (exotic + jewel) to 68 (total stat on ascended) which is a 8% increase in the stat itself.

Posted by: Nimraphel.7819

Nimraphel.7819

2. Infusion slot is for negating a new condition call Agony that will only be in this dungeon! that is right it is worthless in WvW or any place outside this dungeon.

3. getting exotic gear is easy and is full customizable with upgrade slots, Ascended armor is hard to get is less useful as real exotic gear outside of this dungeon.

4. this is a cool great new dungeon , it is scalable for the progression players but none of it is any use outside of this one dungeon. it will allow player to brag about i hit 27th level of infusion !!! woot for me but as infusion does nothing outside of the dungeon why would a WvW player even care ?

You obviously didn’t comprehend what is in front of you.

Anyway, to counter your blatant arrogant belief that you comprehended something that 5000+ people didn’t: Ascended items are better than exotics. Now, go back, read, understand.

Posted by: Darknass.1903

Darknass.1903

I do believe this thread is a clear indication that the numbers tip towards the “we hate this” demographic.

I’m just going to repost this because.. it still holds true 5000+ posts in.

“If you look there are A LOT of repeat posters arguing with eachother, and I’d like to just point out that the complaining usually drowns out the compliments only because the complainers feel compelled to come on to the forums and whine, while the majority of the happy players are more then likely playing the game.”

My thoughts on this topic: there is already a “treadmill” in place you start off with white quality gear and end up (at 80) still getting white level gear aswell as blue yellow and finally orange and purple (or blue… w/e legendary is). If they intended for zero gear progression they would have either;

A.) Made white quality gear “max” and then you would only have to look for gear you like the looks of. (rather boring in my opinion)
B.) Have each “tier” of gear level specific i.e. white is 1-19 blue is 20-39 yellow is 40-59 and then exotic’s/legendary and w/e else would be 60-80 or what have you. Also make each “tier” only drop from those level zones or creatures or whatever…

The system that is in place now is, I repeat IS a gear treadmill of sorts, smoothly pulled off so it doesn’t really feel like one but it is. You don’t start off with max armor and thus have to gear yourself up. Sure it doesn’t take long and sure once you’ve maxed your gears you only need to upgrade looks (well until this patch hits…).

I honestly don’t mind a bit of “gear progression” and as they stated IT WILL GIVE THE PEOPLE WHO WERE COMPLAINING THEY HAD NOTHING TO DO, SOMETHING TO DO!

HoD – Ranger, Ele, Guard, Engie.

“The best defense is a strong offense.”

Posted by: Zefiris.8297

Zefiris.8297

So who wants to take a list of all the people who are quitting Friday if they appear in game anytime over the weekend harasses them for being a hypocrite?

Please feel free to add me. Without a change, I will indeed be gone friday. Haven’t logged in since.

Have fun waiting.

Posted by: Urthwyte.6875

Urthwyte.6875

Arenanet please! do not fall into the MMO trap where they do something stupid and end up losing players. People came here to get away from the generic MMO and experience something new. Don’t fail like TOR, and don’t make people resort to WoW because other games suck. Keep it different, keep it better!

Level 80 Elementalist and Guardian

RobinotX.1604

If the person was close to as good as you, you would have lost. 8% is a fairly significant difference in stats.

True, I admit that is true. But that is an if.

Even then, how many of the times are you ALONE in WvWvW. Most of the time you are walking with friend, guildmates or a zerg in WvWvW. Walking in WvWvW alone isn’t really smart tbh, as the only thing you can do when right specced, is to solo a Supply camp or Control Points.
Even then, you are mostly with more people around you, so still the whole 8% doesn’t mean anything.

People who played WvWvW when they where level 50 with Blue’s aren’t complaining either whey they had to play with the level 80’ties?

I still don’t see the complaint about just a bit of gear coming up.

Nobody is talking about the new enemies, the story. Events, new crafting stuff, new PvP map.

I mean, there is so much new to do, and you have to be nitpicky about a new item level hmmm?

As we read the blog we read that:
Ascended Rings are dropped in the Dungeon.
Ascended Backpieces are made through Recipes in the Mystic Forge.

So when you want a Ring. You go to the dungeon to get a ring.
When you want a Backpiece, you will want to farm mats for the Mystic Forge.

And IF, the armor and weapons of Ascended tier also need different things, like: Tokens from WvWvW.
Crafting
Other dungeons, through gifts.

ETC. Then everyone is happy. As far as I see, I think they are planning to give every type of player the chance to get some sort of ascended gear, if not all of it trough different means.

And each certain set has a different sort of look for example?

Posted by: Pixel.5984

Pixel.5984

Just sad I got my spouse to pay for this game last week because I told him it was different than WoW.

Bam next thing I know the worst part of WoW right in… gear grinding.

Best of luck to you all will try to use the time better on real life, I will never spend time grinding in a dungeon again, life is too short.

GW1 sounded like a great community, sorry I missed it and had been really enjoying this game and the for “the fun of it” concept from the original design of GW1.

Don’t think it’s possible to add just a little bit of gear grind to dungeons, it’s cancerous once you go down the path and the whole game starts to revolve around it down to even gear checks in forums eventually.

And to whoever the people are on the GW team that fought this, thanks for the fun., appreciated.

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

Everyone claims they win most of their fights, they don’t, and anyone claiming any stat increase won’t matter in W3 will be the same people rage quitting over another player having better gear.

Kash
NSP

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

It’s not as customizable but it’s stats are higher cause Ascended Armor has the upgrade slot stats included and increased. Just take a look at the example, their is a second line for power, precision and magic find.

Most people are not complaining about the infusion slot.

Hard to get equals grind and no matter how often you say it, ascended gear is not worse than exotic gear, it’s better due to its higher stats.

If ascended gear would have exotic stats you would be right.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

Just curious…

Will people be less upset if ascended gear becomes available in WvW?

Posted by: ExpiredLifetime.1083

ExpiredLifetime.1083

YOU are the one that cannot read.
The base stats of the item are higher, along with the stats from the upgrade.

Posted by: veldt.5032

veldt.5032

“If you look there are A LOT of repeat posters arguing with eachother, and I’d like to just point out that the complaining usually drowns out the compliments only because the complainers feel compelled to come on to the forums and whine, while the majority of the happy players are more then likely playing the game.”

My thoughts on this topic: there is already a “treadmill” in place you start off with white quality gear and end up (at 80) still getting white level gear aswell as blue yellow and finally orange and purple (or blue… w/e legendary is). If they intended for zero gear progression they would have either;

A.) Made white quality gear “max” and then you would only have to look for gear you like the looks of. (rather boring in my opinion)
B.) Have each “tier” of gear level specific i.e. white is 1-19 blue is 20-39 yellow is 40-59 and then exotic’s/legendary and w/e else would be 60-80 or what have you. Also make each “tier” only drop from those level zones or creatures or whatever…

The system that is in place now is, I repeat IS a gear treadmill of sorts, smoothly pulled off so it doesn’t really feel like one but it is. You don’t start off with max armor and thus have to gear yourself up. Sure it doesn’t take long and sure once you’ve maxed your gears you only need to upgrade looks (well until this patch hits…).

I honestly don’t mind a bit of “gear progression” and as they stated IT WILL GIVE THE PEOPLE WHO WERE COMPLAINING THEY HAD NOTHING TO DO, SOMETHING TO DO!

I like you. Be my friend. We can canoodle.

Posted by: Lomax.2463

Lomax.2463

I waited all day to post.
Reviewed all the pages.

Part of me is just soul sick to find my beloved GW2 heading towards a dreaded gear treadmill.

Am I surprised? Not after the blc mess from Halloween. That just felt so money-grabbing as to be unethical. It made me start to realize, they don’t want to make a good living off a great game, they want to make money at any cost to their players.

This feels the same way.

I want to support the game. I want to see change and growth. But I think they had it all in place with an update 3 months in without this:

1. fix the current content
2. add things we really want to buy in the gem store
3. let fun things like town clothes, dyes, pets continue to drop sometimes from the world
4. give us more town clothes
5. let us craft more fun things

And as for progression? Add to our existing gear if you must for icky gear gating in certain dungeons, but don’t make our exotics obsolete this soon. Or ever.

You have the chance here to make a game like none other. Fix and add to depth to what you have. Give us more skins to go after in dungeons. Give us more titles to want. Give us multiple ways to get everything.

I really hate dungeons in this game. I need to do Arah to finish my story and have put it off for 2 weeks. I hate the dungeons in the game that much. Mini dungeons? Those can be great (mad king!). Now thinking I have to do a dungeon over and over to get this gear? I know I don’t HAVE to, but I am enough of a completionist that yes, I will probably try. If I am here. If I can stomach it all again….

Anyway, rambling. Is this dev team not aware that if they need a money machine, they have a very empty gem shop just waiting for them????

and why would you think you need gear that has Agony mitigation when that condition is not used outside of this dungeon ?!!

wait till they add a new dungeon that has a new infusion and you have to get that to get to high levels in the new one ?! LOL

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

Just curious…

Yes, it would annoy me a lot less if I could get it by doing WvW for the same amount of time it takes a dungeon runner to get it.

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

Posted by: Zefiris.8297

Zefiris.8297

ETC. Then everyone is happy.

No, since we want no stat increase after the plateau. That is what we were advertized and why many of us even bought the game.

You just failed basic math. After adding in the gem, the ascended item has an advantage of 47 stat points over an exotic, in other words, it’s nearly 20% better.

Simple math, dude.

Here:
Advantage of the yakkington over a normal: 3% magic find, 5 power, 5 precision
3% magic find comes down to 12,4 points per percent. 3*12,4=37,2. Total: 47

is hard to get is less useful as real exotic gear outside of this dungeon.

20% more stats is not less useful.

Posted by: Urthwyte.6875

Urthwyte.6875

I’m fine with new gear sets that are cosmetic, but gear grinding is ridiculous. New stats are fine, but do not make them gear related. What happened to your manifesto?

Level 80 Elementalist and Guardian

Posted by: Murdernickle.7590

Murdernickle.7590

Just curious…

To be honest, I would be somewhat okay with it if ascended were offered everywhere that Exotic is. That means Dungeons, Crafting, WvW, Karma Vendors, and through straight gold on the AH (from crafting more than likely).

It’s still upsetting but I could at least deal with it. I would rather they equate the stats to exotics but add the infusion slot to make the dungeon folks happy with some progression while not causing a problem in WvW. If that was the case, I may even get a set of ascended, but as it stands not it seems that I would need to get ascended to have the top stats in WvW which is problematic.

Maguuma | Ione Nightshade: Thief | Ione Oleander: Warrior | Ione Cheval: Mesmer

Posted by: jboynton.7894

jboynton.7894

IT WILL GIVE THE PEOPLE WHO WERE COMPLAINING THEY HAD NOTHING TO DO, SOMETHING TO DO!*

For a week. They’ll power through it again and be right back to where they started by saying that there’s nothing to do. After a short time of that, they’ll go back to whatever game they came from. This sort of thing is seen in every MMO, even WoW.

In the process they’ll have alienated a significant part of their player base.

Posted by: Jetser.2486

Jetser.2486

So first everyone complains there is nothing to do at 80 (except Legendaries)

Then we get something to do at 80, which by the looks of it, is not giving a noticeable advantage (like you can tell if someone is wearing rares or exotics), but is something more to work towards for those who want to.

And people still get mad.. I don’t get it.

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

Well, yeah. Problem is that they’re now blatantly catering to WoW fans over their own fans. Most of who already left GW2 for MoP. It’s asinine.

I play both WoW and GW2, WoW mostly because I have a really great guild because I absolutely HATE having to gear my character all over again. I loved how I could log in GW2 and play at my own pace because the time I spent on getting gear would not go to waste in 3 months.

If GW2 goes ahead with power creeping I don’t really want to play it anymore, as simple as that. It’s going to be WoW without raids and without tanks/healers. (I actually liked the trinity.) And with flashier armor but you’ll have to buy fine transmutation stones every upgrade to keep the look you want.

Posted by: Ninjagon.1576

Ninjagon.1576

Please, don`t do this.
We do not need stronger gear. We do not want to grind dungeons.
There are better ways to advance players: Challenging WWW and PvP!

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Is this there way of back-pedalling on the decision to make tokens replace RNG loot drops? During the promotion of GW2 (I now refer to this as the “lies period”) they said it’s not fun to run a dungeon 12 times hoping to get those specific gloves drop. Running dungeons over and over looking for specific gear to complete your collection, being forced to do it over and over hoping to get lucky one run. With the introduction of tokens (which ended up being less than they said – originally it was one piece of gear per dungeon, now it’s several runs of multiple paths for a single piece) people were accomplishing their exotic gear goals from dungeons much faster (which according to Linsey Murdock, the grind Queen, is a newly discovered problem and not a design decision they promoted the game on).

Apparently infusions are dropped and have rare ones like onmi-infusions which are the rarest. Is this their way of bringing back the RNG into the end game gear treadmill? Not only are we getting a gear treadmill, but it comes with another step backwards in game design and it has it’s best friend, the RNG loot drop, along for the ride.

I thougth GW2 was designed to have a guaranteed way to get loot without playing the RNG? I thought skins were the end game? I thought we were supposed to gear up quickly (at launch people were complaining about how much work it was to get max stats, apparently Linsey thought it was too easy despite her company promoting the game with her perceived problem as a selling point). Everyone who read about this game and bought it expecting it to be what they were told it was is really confused about how we ended up here, only three months after launch, with such a dramatic shift in design?

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

Just curious…

I won’t.

If ascended gear would be as accessible as exotic gear exotic gear would become obsolete since everyone would just head for ascended gear. If it would be harder to get or if you would even be forced to get exotics first then we would have what nobody wants, the gear treadmill. Unless of course you could upgrade your exotics to ascendeds for free, which then again would make exotics pointless, even more than blues are now.

All in all the only way to fix this is to give ascendeds the exact same set of stats as exotics. The infusion slot is enough to make them different.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

(edited by nachtnebel.9168)

Posted by: Hunterdan.4921

Hunterdan.4921

Stop spreading misinformation.

The new gear IS better even when considering the upgrade slot. It’s as good as an exotic with an upgrade + 8% extra.

So sorry but you are actually just wrong, despite all the many exclamation points.

You’re assuming that higher slot upgrades will never be included.

“A new resource to harvest with 200 new crafting recipes.”

If any of those 200 new recipes happen to be for crafted upgrade slot that raise stats above Ascended gear, suddenly this fervor is unnecessary. Ascended gear would not be the end all be all outside of it’s specific dungeon, and the many crafting professions that create slot upgrades would not be obsolete.

Posted by: Zplus.4217

Zplus.4217

and why would you think you need gear that has Agony mitigation when that condition is not used outside of this dungeon ?!!

wait till they add a new dungeon that has a new infusion and you have to get that to get to high levels in the new one ?! LOL

Again stop spreading misinformation.

Infusion can be sloted with stats that are offensive/defensive/omni, and higher grade ascended gears have Agony cleansing added already on top of infusion slots.

Posted by: Murdernickle.7590

Murdernickle.7590

So first everyone complains there is nothing to do at 80 (except Legendaries)

Then we get something to do at 80, which by the looks of it, is not giving a noticeable advantage (like you can tell if someone is wearing rares or exotics), but is something more to work towards for those who want to.

And people still get mad.. I don’t get it.

Certain folks got upset.. that number was much smaller than the ones who were happily playing the game until this change was announced.

Many people offered a lot of creative solutions for things to do at end game, but some people will never be happy until they have a treadmill put in front of them. I could happily let them go about their business if it wasn’t for the fact that these pieces of ascended gear do in fact offer stat increases when we were told this wouldn’t happen.

I know this argument may not get through to you as you’re not in the same position Iam, but to say that the large number of negative posts here are invalid would be somewhat naive.

Maguuma | Ione Nightshade: Thief | Ione Oleander: Warrior | Ione Cheval: Mesmer

RobinotX.1604

This is pretty much truth indeed. If you agree this just quote it a few times so people can actually read it.

And about the fact the most people claim they win their fights.

I don’t. I was giving an example with my Mesmer..

I have enough fights which I lose 1 vs 1. Cause of 1: Bad skills usage at some time. 2: Just being bad.

But still I have fun, and having new gear to look forward though, me likes.

Not because I have to grindfest my brainout. No, because I actually like to play GW2, and love to see my characters in different gear ^^.

The whole cosmetic aspect is something I also missed in other MMO’s which gave us some sets, and where in the end everyone was the same.

WoW is a boring experience. The endgame content start at 90. The leveles 1 through 89 are a dragg.

Where GW2 delivers an adventure. You can do whatever you want in GW2.

You want to craft? Go craft.
You want to PVP? Go PVP
You want to PVE? Go PVE.
You want to Explore? Go Explore.

There is enough to do, but if you don’t like the things GW2 give you, then you didn’t like it before this news and will probably never like the game at all.

People wanted something do to, we know get something to do. I am happy with it.
Even when I am a donkey with a carrot.

Posted by: Shunsui Jiraiya.9103

Shunsui Jiraiya.9103

Anyone heard of an MMO that you can put down, play some single player games for a few months and come back to still be at top stats?

I would love a game where time invested is fun with some visuals being the byproduct reward.

Maybe a day one game where the designers dont need to add bodge treadmills to keep sub’s coming in.

Also it would be awesome to have lots of epic skins to buy for either £/$ or in game currency.

Man, that would be toast-balloons.

Will keep an eye out for some type of manifesto that sets the scene for a game like this to be created over a 5 year period. They may even start a blog to reinforce their ideals…. What could go wrong…..

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

jboynton.7894

This is pretty much truth indeed. If you agree this just quote it a few times so people can actually read it.

And about the fact the most people claim they win their fights.

I don’t. I was giving an example with my Mesmer..

I have enough fights which I lose 1 vs 1. Cause of 1: Bad skills usage at some time. 2: Just being bad.

But still I have fun, and having new gear to look forward though, me likes.

Not because I have to grindfest my brainout. No, because I actually like to play GW2, and love to see my characters in different gear ^^.

The whole cosmetic aspect is something I also missed in other MMO’s which gave us some sets, and where in the end everyone was the same.

WoW is a boring experience. The endgame content start at 90. The leveles 1 through 89 are a dragg.

Where GW2 delivers an adventure. You can do whatever you want in GW2.

You want to craft? Go craft.
You want to PVP? Go PVP
You want to PVE? Go PVE.
You want to Explore? Go Explore.

There is enough to do, but if you don’t like the things GW2 give you, then you didn’t like it before this news and will probably never like the game at all.

People wanted something do to, we know get something to do. I am happy with it.
Even when I am a donkey with a carrot.

What does a new tier of gear have to do with having something to do? Do you mean to say that you can’t craft, PvP, PvE, or Explore without the reward of progressively better gear at max level?

Posted by: sceptus.9415

sceptus.9415

Considering that the change has caused BY FAR the biggest forum thread even seen on the official forums, that 19 messages on 20 are negative, and that it is still growing rapidly, with all due respect I think it’s safe to say that your 50/50 love/hate assertion is flat out false.

He also said he was done posting in this thread pages ago, and continues on…

Hern | Sceptus | Vulkus | Colbane
[DIS] and [TTC]
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: ibkillin.9610

ibkillin.9610

I don’t envy Anet at all, no matter what they do, haters will hate.

For those that are bored and say “there’s nothing to do” which is in itself a bunch of BS, Anet listened to your complaints and added some item progression that isn’t going to effect areas such as WvW (for now). Now they get flak for this, well I’m sorry but not everyone was happy with the skinning type of end game, now they have something to work towards.

Of the Halloween event that ppl are referencing, the best Halloween MMO event I’ve ever experienced hands down. The BLT fiasco was definitely a money grab, but nobody put a gun to your head to buy anything. Now I’m sure they learned their lesson and come Christmas, I’m sure they have a way to buy the skins with a resource (candy cane), instead of the RNG element through the BLT.

Finally, for those saying Anet doesn’t care and only wants to make money off it’s players, I disagree on some and agree on others. Anet is a business, out to make a profit since that’s what businesses do. The game has no monthly fee, so how do you expect them to keep creating content / updates?? Granted a majority of it comes through box sales of the game and eventually expansion packs, but more money into Anet = more resources to create content for the player base. Their marketplace isn’t set up to be a pay to win like most F2P games, instead they’ve done a pretty kitten good job of keeping it cosmetic.

I just LOL at some of you, no matter what Anet does, you’ll never be happy. I ask you this, why do you play games if all you ever do is complain about the experience from start to finish?

Gamers = biggest bunch of whiny babies.

I love games, I hate gamers. That’s all.

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

Just curious…

No. Its power creep either way and goes against the manifesto and blog posts.
The only way this would be fine is if the infusion thing only applied to the dungeon and you could put it on any exotic or on items with the same stats as exotics only found in that dungeon.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

jboynton.7894

Anyone heard of an MMO that you can put down, play some single player games for a few months and come back to still be at top stats?

I would love a game where time invested is fun with some visuals being the byproduct reward.

Maybe a day one game where the designers dont need to add bodge treadmills to keep sub’s coming in.

Also it would be awesome to have lots of epic skins to buy for either £/$ or in game currency.

Man, that would be toast-balloons.

Will keep an eye out for some type of manifesto that sets the scene for a game like this to be created over a 5 year period. They may even start a blog to reinforce their ideals…. What could go wrong…..

GW1. It’s still available for purchase here .

(edited by Moderator)