Upcoming Daily/Monthly changes 12/10/14

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-new-daily-achievement-system/

Ok, so we won’t be getting LS stuff on the 16th, but this is actually interesting. Though this depends on the actual rewards we get (though we’ll have to wait till its out to determine if they’re worth it or not).

I’m actually kinda looking forward to this.

Though, it says we get ascended/laurels/etc from the chest at the end of the 28 daily logins, it doesn’t say how we still get the mystic coins. I take it that those are in the left most column’s item/bag/whatever it is of the example pic (attached below)?

Another question (for Anet): Will the dailies or login reward ever change? I know that the daily tasks/achievements will rotate each day, but will the rewards you get from a specific one ever change/rotate itself?

Attachments:

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

This actually seems kind of cool.

Of course we’ll have to wait and see what kind of rewards it offers, but it seems like a pretty good idea.

Can’t wait to check it out!

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

If the 4 points on top is really all you can do in PvE for a given day, it will really annoy me
and i don’t see that i will get my daily laurels even anymore. If we get of course still
laurels for 5 dailys.

Heck .. if they finally gave us 500er jewelcrafter, then i can at least stop caring about
laurels.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Ist impression—another way to impede progress.
Ambiguous/lack of info about laurels.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Neat.

I’m glad to see we can still get features between feature packs.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Will Lucky.8703

Will Lucky.8703

Neat.

Unless they are bringing parts of it forward? The WvW, PvP changes and this sounds like something I’d expect in a Feature Pack.

Server: Far Shiverpeaks

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

I hate how everybody is creating the same topic, bumping good threads off the front page.

Does this mean that we only have until Tuesday to finish our monthly?

What happens to the AP cap? This new system seems to liberally award AP, and a lot of people will hit the cap soon.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

removal of monthlies and combination of monthly/daily points? Does this mean that the new cap is 15000 AP? Other than that concern, i think i will like these changes.

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

I hate how everybody is creating the same topic, bumping good threads off the front page.

What happens to the AP cap? This new system seems to liberally award AP, and a lot of people will hit the cap soon.

it mentioned that the december monthly will remain, but after that it will be gone

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Neat.

But many may not consider it a ‘feature’ or ‘neat’.
Again, another unsolicited change while other fixes are still needed.

(edited by Blude.6812)

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

is nice to see there is a variety of dailies and becoming more rewarding

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Daily monthly change looks very cool for me. But log-in rewards? WTF? I know you want keep players coming back but this idea is bit too much dont you think? Rewarding players for participation ins?tead of win is generaly bad idea and its something kitten ruining game industry.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

This was a completely unsolicited change. It seems like a nice change on paper (obviously everyone is worried about laurels) but its nice of Anet to give us stuff like this.

My problem is with the why. Why did Anet spend time on this instead of fixing more pressing issues? My theory is this is the other half to the NPE “solution.” The NPE was to get new players to stick around. These free log-in rewards are to keep old players logging in.

Think about it. Everything Anet has been focused on developing are initiatives to incentivise players to buy the game, never uninstall it, and keep logging in at least every 2 weeks, if not more frequently. The more frequently they can get you to log in, the more chances they have to float Gem store stuff in front of you. That’s just more potential revenue.

Xenon.4537

Daily monthly change looks very cool for me. But log-in rewards? WTF? I know you want keep players coming back but this idea is bit too much dont you think? Rewarding players for participation instead of win is generaly bad idea and its something kitten ruining game industry.

#LogInWars2

Posted by: SKATE.1394

SKATE.1394

Eh, I’m a little on the fence about this. For my playstyle personally, it sounds like more of a downgrade, but I guess we’ll see soon enough.

I like having a wide variety of achievements I’m likely to actually complete just by playing the game normally. Daily dodger, daily kills, daily leveler, daily condition applier or remover, daily gatherer, daily skill interrupter. Because they’re generic gameplay actions I can typically knock out my 5/5 achievements for my laurel on a parked character without having to waypoint all over the god kitten map. I hate paying for waypoints, try to park characters in various places and avoid it as often as possible.

Only 4 available achievements for a PvE centric player that are oddly specific will have me traveling all over the kitten place and losing any sense of consistency in my daily ritual. Taking the screen shot example, FOUR events in Malchor’s Leap (uggh), then move to Maguuma Wastes to view a vista (uggh), gather in Ascalon (shot to the foot of people that bought Home nodes just for daily gatherer), or move to Fire Ele which happens once every 2 hours. What a pain the kitten , this is actually the opposite of what they think they’re saving me from, since I’m not an AP grinder that does all 12 achievements every day.

I’m assuming each daily advent calendar loot bag will contain 1 laurel, 1 mystic coin, and something else depending on the container type. Meaning the bonus 10 laurels we used to get for our monthly will likely be an option in the final reward chest, forcing us to make a tough choice between laurels, tomes, or materials.

I love Tomes of Knowledge, but I don’t know if I wanna sacrifice the 10 laurels I used to get for them. Would be nice to receive what we’re accustomed to getting for our monthly, in addition to something else, instead of OR something else. I’ll be thinking long and hard at the end of every month about whether I want laurels or tomes, laurels or tomes.

(edited by SKATE.1394)

Posted by: Brimstar.9036

Brimstar.9036

Really? This is a thing? You really are going to have the options to reward people to login instead of actually playing the game for rewards? This is in my honest opinion a terrible idea and needs to be considered for evaluation. What say you forums? I understand the reasoning behind doing this (to attain higher login rates/sales) obviously but the real issue is the people who don’t find the need to play the game to actually earn rewards, which is unfair to the people who participate in the community and actually DO earn rewards by playing, contributing something to the community.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

This new daily/monthly achievement system is another huge slap in the face for longtime veteran achievement hunters.
Now you only need to do 3 dailies per day for 10 AP, before the daily cap people like me often spent several hours (4-6h per day at peak when the 5 soloQ and 3 teamQ dailies existed) each and every day just to get all the dailies done every day. And now every casual who logs in for 10 minutes can easily max their AP without any kind of effort.
Stop catering to the ultra casuals all the time and think of the people who play GW2 for more than an hour or two per week!

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

You know I made a joke about login monthly achievements last week………..be careful what you joke about?

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: Ztepam.9327

Ztepam.9327

I don’t dislike it, it is a good change, but I agree with you that now I am frustrated, yesterday I finished to reach the cap of 10.000 AP from dailies and all of that with an average of 1hr and 30 min/ day only for daily for the last 1 year and a half

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

It won’t get any more casual than GW2.

Maybe – just maybe – you should look for something more appropriate for your playstyle…

Posted by: met.9653

met.9653

Daily monthly change looks very cool for me. But log-in rewards? WTF? I know you want keep players coming back but this idea is bit too much dont you think? Rewarding players for participation ins?tead of win is generaly bad idea and its something kitten ruining game industry.

I think its ok. This login reward system is nothing new. Many other games have it but here you actually dont loose progress if you miss 1 day like in some other mmos.

Posted by: Rialen.1524

Rialen.1524

Nah this is sweet. Don’t take it so seriously, it’s not like they’re showering people in gems or precursors to log in, it’s just another little QoL that provides incentive to play. Alot of games have adopted this segment of modeling, it really doesn’t boost log in rates as much as you may think. People aren’t so quick to change their life for some material or karma.
On the topic of rewards for actually participating in things, come on, let’s get serious. People who afk bosses get better rewards than people on the front lines of a 50 FotM. Log in rewards are pretty insignificant if you want to start debating input for output.

All in all, my opinion is it’s a net plus.

Posted by: Bernie.8674

Bernie.8674

This new daily/monthly achievement system is another huge slap in the face for longtime veteran achievement hunters.
Now you only need to do 3 dailies per day for 10 AP, before the daily cap people like me often spent several hours (4-6h per day at peak when the 5 soloQ and 3 teamQ dailies existed) each and every day just to get all the dailies done every day. And now every casual who logs in for 10 minutes can easily max their AP without any kind of effort.
Stop catering to the ultra casuals all the time and think of the people who play GW2 for more than an hour or two per week!

I believe that they put the lifetime cap in place so people like you would no longer feel obligated to do that sort of thing in order to stay ahead of the curve. For that reason the achievement system should no longer even be relevant for players like you unless you want to earn a little extra cash by converting laurels into crafting mats.

You’re also overlooking the part about harder dailies granting better rewards now. Just because you had to labor under a broken system doesn’t mean that new players should have to suffer like you. I mean, back when I was in college, 52kpbs was the best you could hope for with regards to internet throughput. You don’t see me complaining that the crappiest internet access available these days offers at least 10 times that. Sit back and enjoy the benefits that this new system brings you. A game that requires 4-6 hours of play per day is simply not healthy. That’s 28-42 hours a week — as much as many full-time jobs!

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

Something like this has been requested a while back and I think the devs listened up. Also, Colin mentioned this change in one of his posts when he talked about what to expect for 2013.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

“I don’t want to have to do all the dailies to get max AP from them”

Anet: Ok, we’re going to make it a flat 10 AP. You need only do 3. And we’re going to start giving you related rewards for doing them, so if you do more than 3 you feel like it was worthwhile

“Omg no! This is a slap in the face”

They can’t win. For crying out loud.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: GussJr.1643

GussJr.1643

I agree with Rialen, it really is a QoL kind of thing, and seems pretty nice. Especially for me…seems like a lot of times when I finally sit down to play, 5 minutes in, my son asks me to come help him with something, and I end up having to log off.

~COLLAMETTA~DELVANAI~

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

It’s pretty whatever to me, I just hope the daily log-in rewards don’t in any way force luck/magic find on my account. Hated the change to that system and don’t ever want any. I only saw gold find mentioned, not that I read too carefully. I can’t see stuff if I’m looking for it. :/

Because I still might want to log in some time, ever, if only for silver doubloons or to see my characters.

let the sky fall

(edited by Traced.3495)

Xenon.4537

Something like this has been requested a while back and I think the devs listened up. Also, Colin mentioned this change in one of his posts when he talked about what to expect for 2013.

Children often beg their parents for cookies and toys and things. That doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to spoil them.

This change should be an insult to everyone’s intellect.

“You guys aren’t good enough to earn your rewards, so we are just going to give them to you for logging in. Oh by the way did you check out the latest gem store sales? What a coincidence there’s new gem store sales while we are bribing you to log in!”

Posted by: Scrivs.4501

Scrivs.4501

Whether or not this is an improvement to the current daily/monthly system (I personally never had a problem with it), I am getting kind of sick of the fact that ANet is constantly changing features that were already in the game and that we all grew accustomed to.

The trait system didn’t need to be updated (i absolutely despise the current system) and nor did this. (again, not saying that this is or isn’t an improvement, but it simply wasn’t necessary)

To me it’s starting to look like that’s all they’re doing over there at ArenaNet; unnecessarily changing stuff in the hope of keeping us satisfied.
Which seems like a massive waste of time, money and resources that could be better spent elsewhere.

[EU] Desolation
Mesmer – Necromancer – Ranger – Elementalist – Revenant

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

It won’t get any more casual than GW2.

Maybe – just maybe – you should look for something more appropriate for your playstyle…

Sadly you are right, I tried Wildstar for two months but the game feels very missmanaged and lacks content for its 9 years development time. And there is nothing interesting on the horizon for me, the old days where games were complex and difficult seem to be gone. Even singleplayer games on maximum difficulty are too easy nowadays.

A game that requires 4-6 hours of play per day is simply not healthy. That’s 28-42 hours a week — as much as many full-time jobs!

It was not required, only if you wanted to max out your achievement points. It is good enough now at is is. You can get all 12 daily achievement points in an hour if you optimize your shedule. No need to make it even easier.

I mean they are called achievement points and every time anet updates something they seem to degenerate the meaning of the term achievement lol.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

I like the changes and think it will add to my gaming experience.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Its not reset each month, so you can take a break and keep where you were in the 28 ‘levels’. I think its a nice change, especially for those of us that do login every day. I doubt it’ll be much (at least until the last day), probably blues and greens, and maybe some materials.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I wish ANet would stop listening to absolute haters for a whole month to save up their ears, as well as ours. (or eyes)

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Anet: Ok, we’re going to make it a flat 10 AP. You need only do 3. And we’re going to start giving you related rewards for doing them, so if you do more than 3 you feel like it was worthwhile

I would guess the actual argument is “I enjoy my 1.5 hours of daily-hunting.”

To which ANet says “You’re spending too much time hunting dailies and not playing the game.”

So I see where the displeasure is coming from. I see it, but I don’t agree. This is, by far, the most equitable solution I’ve seen to the daily situation, since WvW and PvP get the same 10 AP for doing achievements in their realms. Kudos, I say.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Xenon.4537

Honestly, Anet should cut out the middle man. They should add a gem store section to guildwars2.com. Why bother logging into the game when we could just buy gems straight off the website? Hell, why even have a game at all? There should just be a big quaggan-shaped button on the front page that transfers money from your bank account directly to Anet.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I would guess the actual argument is “I enjoy my 1.5 hours of daily-hunting.”

To which ANet says “You’re spending too much time hunting dailies and not playing the game.”

So I see where the displeasure is coming from. I see it, but I don’t agree. This is, by far, the most equitable solution I’ve seen to the daily situation, since WvW and PvP get the same 10 AP for doing achievements in their realms. Kudos, I say.

But they don’t enjoy the time it took. That’s the problem. One of the biggest complaints AP hunters had was that it took forever to get all 10 AP for the assorted dailies. They felt pressured into doing it and they couldn’t “play how they wanted to.”

Now anet has changed that, and some of them still aren’t happy.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

But they don’t enjoy the time it took. That’s the problem. One of the biggest complaints AP hunters had was that it took forever to get all 10 AP for the assorted dailies. They felt pressured into doing it and they couldn’t “play how they wanted to.”

And they never will? /shrug

I could have used this change yesterday. I was short on time (because shammy-leveling elsewhere), so a quick in-and-out would’ve been happy.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

I don’t think there was anything in this update announcement I didn’t like.

Meta daily makes it easier to get all the daily AP. People that don’t enjoy a certain activity won’t be at a disadvantage when it comes to AP or have to spend 1 or 2 hours just to get all the AP in every mode.

Combination of monthly and daily cap pools means me and other people wont hit the daily cap within a few months and extends the life of daily AP for another year.

The current daily achievements were a little bland and dry, such as daily dodger, leveler, laurel vendor, gather, event completer. It will be nice to have more content driven dailys with content driven rewards.

It seems like these goals will actually get people out to do different things and reward them for it instead of just going through a daily routine for the same reward every day.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Win? I don’t think they are out to win or lose. They are out to make money, which they are making lots of.

Everyone’s going to have their disagreements on what’s good or bad, but please don’t feel bad for them. I know I’ve given them more than enough of my money.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

wow, looking at ur APs in your signature, u have at least 6k APs more than me!
i can see why u are so angry when you dedicated yourselves to farming AP

the reason I do achievements is because it gives me directions or goals on what I can do in the game, but unlike you, I don’t do all the dailies because I am more of a realistic and practical person

i hoping anet can put in more realistic and practical contents, not just contents that grindy yet so meaningless to grind

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

I never understood why people rushed to do EVERY single daily when there is a cap on the points anyway?

DarkWasp.7291

When they first added AP rewards, I farmed all dailies every day.
When they added the additional PvP stuff I stopped doing dailies almost entirely.
When they capped it at 10k I rejoiced.

I don’t consider it a slap in the face. I consider it time I now have to do other non-casual stuff.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

And they never will? /shrug

I could have used this change yesterday. I was short on time (because shammy-leveling elsewhere), so a quick in-and-out would’ve been happy.

Yeah I know, but I still have to poke at them. It’s in the fine print

Win? I don’t think they are out to win or lose. They are out to make money, which they are making lots of.

Everyone’s going to have their disagreements on what’s good or bad, but please don’t feel bad for them. I know I’ve given them more than enough of my money.

All for profit companies are out to make money. That’s their entire point. I’ve given them plenty of money too, but that’s not the point.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Honestly, Anet should cut out the middle man. They should add a gem store section to guildwars2.com. Why bother logging into the game when we could just buy gems straight off the website? Hell, why even have a game at all? There should just be a big quaggan-shaped button on the front page that transfers money from your bank account directly to Anet.

Meanwhile at ArenaNet HQ… the head of marketing just called a meeting to discuss this idea and figure out how to implement it as soon as possible.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: SKATE.1394

SKATE.1394

The current daily achievements were a little bland and dry, such as daily dodger, leveler, laurel vendor, gather, event completer. It will be nice to have more content driven dailys with content driven rewards.

It seems like these goals will actually get people out to do different things and reward them for it instead of just going through a daily routine for the same reward every day.

Some of us like a daily routine, not everybody wants to be told specifically what to do and where to go every single day. Yes the achievements were generic, but that’s a good thing because it resulted in a high likelihood of people completing their daily no matter what zone they’re in or how they play the game. For me, this is a lot like the trait system change, now I’m told exactly where to go and what to do just to get my daily done akin to the highly specific trait unlocking requirements. Where’s the freedom in that?

(edited by SKATE.1394)

DarkWasp.7291

Neat.

But many may not consider it a ‘feature’ or ‘neat’.
Again, another unsolicited change while other fixes are still needed.

Many complained about the feature packs as well. It’s the internet.

I’m just saying I’m happy they aren’t saving every single QoL thing they do until March/April when they could release them now.

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Next

You will have till the end of December as normal to complete this months before the monthly system is retired.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Colin….since you’re here. Could you clarify… do we still get laurels daily with the new daily log in bonus. Or are they becoming a randomized reward?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

What is this the 4th revamp of dailies?

If they spent half the time fixing the rest of the game as they do revamping dailies the game could probably be bug free by now…

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I find it is no miracle, that you would be a person who would dislike this… seriously

I personally find the change awesome, as it shows, that Anet does something to improve the reward systems for GW2 and that they want to do something with these changes against the repetitive AP Grind of generic boring daily achievements, that felt totally unrewarding for their time investment.
That lousy 1 AP you get from doing them and being daily forced to do them all basically, if you wanted to stay competitive in the AP ladder… just disgusting – after those changes it will be much better and alot more relaxing to play the game.

so I guess -1 special snowflakes for you this time, deal with it!

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)