Update on the MegaServer roll-out plan

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Samuel Loretan.8601

Samuel Loretan.8601

Next

Hey everyone!

I’m very glad and excited with your overwhelming responses regarding the MegaServer system. We are still working on establishing the best roll-out plan for this feature. I’d like to provide you with an update on our plans. It was announced on the blog post that we planned to start with the PvP Lobby, the level 1 to 15 maps, as well as the cities. As MegaServers evolved into a finished product, we have changed our initial roll-out plan.

We are now planning on releasing the system starting with the PvP lobby and low population maps, and incrementally moving onto the maps with high populations. With this approach, the behavior on level 1 to 15 maps won’t change until we’ve seen the positive confirmation from the community as well as from our metrics that MegaServer is working as expected on lower population maps.

MegaServer is a complex system, so we will be closely monitoring its deployment. We will make adjustments to our plan in accordance with the results of the roll-out. Our Quality Assurance team have performed a great job in doing an extensive testing of the game under this new paradigm, but nothing can stress out a system like a huge amount of players rushing through Tyria to rediscover the world with fellow adventurers. Which is why we’re extremely careful about that.

Please keep voicing your questions and remarks about MegaServers! We’re excited to bring out this new way of fostering our game community, and your comments are greatly helpful in doing so.

See you in Tyria!
— Samuel

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Sounds like a great plan to ease us into it and make sure things go as smoothly as possible. +1

The Burninator

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Just please don’t start with Bloodtide Coast. Thank you.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Are you saying no Level 1-15 maps are low-population? I must say, I am a bit confused about where this will initially be rolled out. Are you saying PvP lobby and cities are definitely part of the roll-out, as well as ….some other maps? Or that cities are not ever low population?

Truly, totally confused now.

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Are you saying no Level 1-15 maps are low-population? I must say, I am a bit confused about where this will initially be rolled out. Are you saying PvP lobby and cities are definitely part of the roll-out, as well as ….some other maps? Or that cities are not ever low population?

Reading above it looks like cities have been taken out of the initial rollout plan. The only map specifically mentioned was the PvP Loby. Low population maps will be too, but they do not mention which maps are considered “low population.” I’d love to see a list.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: aRestless.6213

aRestless.6213

Just for clarification: The new schedule for world boss events will still be introduced as announced, right?

Never lose track of your friends again, with Who’s Talking for Overwolf

Posted by: lawfan.7095

lawfan.7095

Probably maps like Iron Marches and Timberline Falls. All the 1-15 maps should stay out of megaservers for now.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

Very glad to hear that the cities won’t be affected yet, if only for the sake of those players who enjoy roleplay.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

No, the schedule only applies to the mega server system (I hope)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Indeed. I don’t know if I usually play in what is considered ‘low-population’ maps, or not. And that depends on what is current as far as content on that day, as well as the time of day.

Will we even know when we are in a map that is using MegaServer implementation? (Other than the PvP lobby, of course.)

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

Based on my understanding of the MegaServer (all hail!), no one will earn influence in the zones being tested. This may lead to players actively avoiding low population zones. I understand the need to test the MegaServer feature before implementing mechanics that are based on the MegaServer, leaves you in a chicken and the egg situation.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Indeed. I don’t know if I usually play in what is considered ‘low-population’ maps, or not. And that depends on what is current as far as content on that day, as well as the time of day.

Will we even know when we are in a map that is using MegaServer implementation? (Other than the PvP lobby, of course.)

It is a little confusing. If, for example, I want to do Golem and right then my server has a low population map. I see according to the app that it’s on the starting event. When I wp over there, where will I end up? My server’s map with the starting event or some other server’s map?

Posted by: Shirogatsu.3150

Shirogatsu.3150

So now we don’t even know where it will be?
Or we will understand this by closed waypoints?

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

Based on my understanding of the MegaServer (all hail!), no one will earn influence in the zones being tested. This may lead to players actively avoiding low population zones. I understand the need to test the MegaServer feature before implementing mechanics that are based on the MegaServer, leaves you in a chicken and the egg situation.

Where did you hear that people wouldn’t earn influence in MegaServer maps?

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

Posted by: dikamilo.7519

dikamilo.7519

MegaServers idea is very good in my opinion but this system will produce a lot of issues for guilds that are created only for big-events boss kills like Tequatl or Wurm. It’s not about time changes or or that guild update that will allow spawn boss when guild want and need influence and do guild missions. It’s about that guild like this need empty map to get ppl there and get rid of “randoms/pugs” that will not help at all. So in my opinion this system need feature that will allow guild or just players to create new empty instance of map and will allow to invite and bring guild mates there.

And why Guild World Event needs merits that are only from guild missions ?

(edited by dikamilo.7519)

Posted by: Samuel Loretan.8601

Previous

Samuel Loretan.8601

Hello!

Here’s some clarification, as I understand that this whole thing is quite complicated to grasp.

• The roll-out plan ultimately include all maps in the open world, including the cities. The speed at which we’ll roll out the system will depends on how the system performs versus our expectations, but the goal is to ultimately cover the whole open world.
  • The roll-out is done on a per-map basis. Once a map uses the MegaServer system, it uses it for all Worlds (that is the point of the MegaServer system). The “map population” I am referring to is the average population on the map across all Worlds.

Thanks for your comments!
— Samuel

Posted by: ExAstris.8527

ExAstris.8527

I second. Source?

Gwen Dlynn; human engineer (1st class)
Sir Reginald Doom; Charr necromancer (wip)
Aurora Skykin; Norn guardian (wip)

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

• The roll-out is done on a per-map basis. Once a map uses the MegaServer system, it uses it for all Worlds (that is the point of the MegaServer system). The “map population” I am referring to is the average population on the map across all Worlds.

Hiya, Mr. Loretan.

Could we get a list or some examples of what those maps are? Or if not now, have them listed in the patch notes?

I would wish to know which maps are affected, to know where I should go and test the new system.

Thanks for your attention.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Anything short of complete removal of the scheduled events will be a disappointment.

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

I second. Source?

Due to the official statements that you’ll earn guild influence for the guild chapter on your home server, I’m also skeptical.
From the original blog post:

For players in guilds, the world your account uses as its home world is the same world that will receive your guild influence. That system has not changed (for now).

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

Posted by: Kupper.8074

Kupper.8074

Hello!

Here’s some clarification, as I understand that this whole thing is quite complicated to grasp.

— Samuel

The concept is not complicated to grasp, your roll out is what is complicated, and you just made it more ambiguous.

JQ – The ‘veggie’ Knight
Berserker = Skilled http://i.imgur.com/g1rkIub.jpg
Never forget – http://i.imgur.com/Oxra9sj.jpg

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: kmortonson.2154

kmortonson.2154

Hello!

• The roll-out plan ultimately include all maps in the open world, including the cities. The speed at which we’ll roll out the system will depends on how the system performs versus our expectations, but the goal is to ultimately cover the whole open world.

— Samuel

Thank you very much for the clarification.

Could we also get clarification of how this will affect the announced schedule of World Boss Events? Some are in higher population zones such as Shadow Behemoth in Queensdale and others are in (likely) low population zones such as Ulgoth in Harathi Hinterlands.

Will the schedule be implemented immediately for all bosses on the 15th, regardless of whether the boss is in a zone that has had the Megaserver implemented? Or will the scheduled time for a boss only begin once the zone is included in the Megaserver?

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

I think what he’s saying is that, UNTILL a zone is in the megaserver system, it will not be affected by the schedule. As for zones, I think he means stuff like timberline, and fireheart rise. Stuff no one goes to.

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

I guess we have to give them points for at least slowing down the implementation. Gives us more time to convince them this isn’t what we want.

Although I see this approach as not helping. I’m not worried as much about this system in low pop maps. I’m worried about it in high pop maps, like cities, or when a guild event happens. If my whole guild can’t get into a map and keeps getting split because you can’t shove out randoms… gg.

EDIT: At least as the path of some slight compromise can you leave cities alone so that we still have one place where I server community isn’t destroyed? I mean sure taking away the wp/dungeon contestion and the schedule for bosses would be nice, but above all I want some place that I can still gather with my server people that I know and love that isn’t just in WvW since we will constantly queue maps this way. (Honestly I’m guessing this is where people will hang out now to avoid this new disaster system).

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

(edited by eleshazar.6902)

Posted by: zwierz.9012

zwierz.9012

Very glad to hear it will not affect cities for now, and I hope it is due to our feedback concerning some worries mentioned in “Megaserver and RP” thread.

My hope of the change being for the better also for roleplayers and other groups of interest is raised. A little :P.

DiogoSilva.7089

If my whole guild can’t get into a map and keeps getting split because you can’t shove out randoms… gg.

Like how it already happens in the current system?

EDIT: At least as the path of some slight compromise can you leave cities alone so that we still have one place where I server community isn’t destroyed?

I’ve been playing GW2 since beta, and so far, this concept of “Server community” has been nothing but a myth. What server community? Where is it? I’ve never seen such a thing in almost two years of playing this game, and the only people I occasionally meet often are guild members and friends… which is not always easy to do because of the existence of servers in the first place.

And the whole RP issue can be fixed by Anet dedicated an server to RP for each region. Which I hope they do.

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

I second. Source?

Due to the official statements that you’ll earn guild influence for the guild chapter on your home server, I’m also skeptical.
From the original blog post:

For players in guilds, the world your account uses as its home world is the same world that will receive your guild influence. That system has not changed (for now).

If it were a snake…..I was even looking just for that information.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: Tasty Pudding.3764

Tasty Pudding.3764

Regarding influence:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Guesting-is-Coming/page/9#post1227596

Is this not true? Wouldn’t it apply to the megaserver?

(edited by Tasty Pudding.3764)

Posted by: ceol.9175

ceol.9175

Although I see this approach as not helping. I’m not worried as much about this system in low pop maps. I’m worried about it in high pop maps, like cities, or when a guild event happens. If my whole guild can’t get into a map and keeps getting split because you can’t shove out randoms… gg.

I’m not sure how so many people still think this will be a problem. They’ve addressed it multiple times.

In short, your guild (as well as people in your friend list and home server) will all be put in the same instance, and you can still “taxi” people into the instance you’re in.

Posted by: intrepia.5983

intrepia.5983

Please give us a list of which “low-population” maps will now be included with the initial release.

Cerylyn ~ Ceryela ~ Cerylse ~ Ceryena ~ Coraliya ~ Roseliya ~ Felisitae ~ Rylsa
Vintage Gaming [VG] | Attuned [Att] | Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] ~ Jade Quarry

Posted by: synk.8762

synk.8762

If my whole guild can’t get into a map and keeps getting split because you can’t shove out randoms… gg.

Like how it already happens in the current system?

EDIT: At least as the path of some slight compromise can you leave cities alone so that we still have one place where I server community isn’t destroyed?

I’ve been playing GW2 since beta, and so far, this concept of “Server community” has been nothing but a myth. What server community? Where is it? I’ve never seen such a thing in almost two years of playing this game, and the only people I occasionally meet often are guild members and friends… which is not always easy to do because of the existence of servers in the first place.

And the whole RP issue can be fixed by Anet dedicated an server to RP for each region. Which I hope they do.

It’s absolutely not a myth. If you haven’t encountered it, I’m sorry. I’d guess it has something to do with where you play and your personal modes of interaction.

In-game relationships can be broken down into two general categories – those you seek out, and those you happen upon. What you’re talking about (friends and guild members) are in the first category. The second is what he’s talking about. People you meet during farming, or leveling, or the Boss trains, or Temple events. Because of the generally closed nature of a server, you tend to see the same people over and over again, and if you positively interact with them over a long enough period of time, you get to know them. At that point, maybe they move into the first category – you friend list them, you actively seek to do things with them. Or maybe not. Maybe you just say ‘hey’ when you see them in a city, or in WvW. Maybe you only see them when running a train. But it doesn’t diminish the fact that the closed system has bred friendship by proximity for a lot of people. That’s something that’ll be completely upended under the Megaserver. Not to say that you’ll never see the same people, or that you won’t make new friends, but it does lessen the sense of identity tied to server population for many people.

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

Please give us a list of which “low-population” maps will now be included with the initial release.

There can’t be a list.

When you zone into a map, it calculates the population across all worlds. If it’s low population, it will become a mega-server. So, it not only depends on map, it depends on time of day.

At least that’s what I’m reading. Please let me know if I got it wrong.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: intrepia.5983

intrepia.5983

Lankybrit, I read it as that they will be starting with maps that currently average below some unspecified population threshold and implementing megaservers full time on those maps. However, when I reread it, I could see your interpretation as a possibility also, so I hope they will clarify which it will be.

Cerylyn ~ Ceryela ~ Cerylse ~ Ceryena ~ Coraliya ~ Roseliya ~ Felisitae ~ Rylsa
Vintage Gaming [VG] | Attuned [Att] | Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] ~ Jade Quarry

Posted by: zwierz.9012

zwierz.9012

The way I understand it, they will implement the system first and foremost on maps with chronic history of low population, like Brisbane, Iron Marches and souls of politicians (sorry, I had to).

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit, I read it as that they will be starting with maps that currently average below some unspecified population threshold and implementing megaservers full time on those maps. However, when I reread it, I could see your interpretation as a possibility also, so I hope they will clarify which it will be.

That would probably make more sense to implement. Because I can’t imagine how a non-megaserver → megaserver transition would happen in real time. So, maybe there can be a list of those historically low pop maps that will get the treatment first.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

Double ‘excited’ in the post, increasing the overall abuse of this word in the announcements. A spin is a spin. I think the community responded with the amount of ‘appalled’ to introduce a load of changes into the system… Because, as I can see, there’s no stopping it. For shame.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

kitten was excited to see the racial cities on the 15th

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

eleshazar.6902

I’m not sure how so many people still think this will be a problem. They’ve addressed it multiple times.

In short, your guild (as well as people in your friend list and home server) will all be put in the same instance, and you can still “taxi” people into the instance you’re in.

I don’t think you are understanding the problem of this algorithm happening over time. You can’t “kick” people out of a map who are already there. So if my guild starts zoning into fireheart rise over the course of 3 minutes we will each get prioritized at different times, not all at once. So the first person into the zone will get placed into a map that fits his needs, and that could be a zone with mainly SBI people because the rest of the guild isn’t there yet. The next person might get placed with him because they are in the same guild, but eventually that map fills up and the rest of the guild has to be in another map, that may also have random people in it.

Basically the flaw it doesn’t all happen at once. Each evaluation is separate. So since you can’t be shuffling people out of maps constatnyl you just keep filling them up. You are going to end up with random people because that is the nature of this. And quite often they will replace spots that your guildies could have taken to be with you.
It is complicated and may take some time to think about, but if you write the progression down on paper you will see that the fundamental flaw in this is that you can only add to a map (and the system is also going to be adding to a map constantly), and can’t forcible subtract.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

The maps that it is being pushed too will likely be released later when you do roll it out for a map please be sure to include it in the patch notes so that those of us who would like to give feedback can test it out for ourselves and give feedback.

When they implement the schedule it will likely be implemented regardless if the map the world boss is one on the mega-server system or not. The systems are related but not dependent on each other.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

Many players are still in Low level maps, Queensdale ithere is always, Wayfarer also has a nice amount, you can find players doing events/level in these maps all the time, Ascalon and Mectrica from what Ive seen have very little pop.

Maps like Lunars pass, Mount Maelstrom, and Timberline Falls are less populated than starter zones (guildies and friends that I know in multi servers feel the same way after talking to them about it many times).

SAB or RIOT

Posted by: Sardonia.8196

Sardonia.8196

I don’t think you are understanding the problem of this algorithm happening over time. You can’t “kick” people out of a map who are already there. So if my guild starts zoning into fireheart rise over the course of 3 minutes we will each get prioritized at different times, not all at once. So the first person into the zone will get placed into a map that fits his needs, and that could be a zone with mainly SBI people because the rest of the guild isn’t there yet. The next person might get placed with him because they are in the same guild, but eventually that map fills up and the rest of the guild has to be in another map, that may also have random people in it.

Basically the flaw it doesn’t all happen at once. Each evaluation is separate. So since you can’t be shuffling people out of maps constatnyl you just keep filling them up. You are going to end up with random people because that is the nature of this. And quite often they will replace spots that your guildies could have taken to be with you.
It is complicated and may take some time to think about, but if you write the progression down on paper you will see that the fundamental flaw in this is that you can only add to a map (and the system is also going to be adding to a map constantly), and can’t forcible subtract.

I wish people would quite thinking that these maps are their personal instances. That is the way it is sounding to me. These are open world events where anyone can join in. The issue is with the events and not the maps. They should have never been made for an entire map to beat it. Half map sure, whole map no.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Anet didn’t think it all the way through so have to slow it down now to make it seem they’re listening. But they’re still going to do it. How “exciting.”

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Good news. That means while leveling I have the highest probability of being on a comfortable level of population.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Asmodeus.5782

It’s ‘funny’ how the word exciting is used for the introduction of a system that makes the most interesting and beautiful monsters in the game as boring and predictable as your average public tv programme. Oh look, the fire elemental is going to spontaneously explode in 5 minutes, better grab mah tea. Bleh.

William S. Burroughs

DiogoSilva.7089

It’s ‘funny’ how the word exciting is used for the introduction of a system that makes the most interesting and beautiful monsters in the game as boring and predictable as your average public tv programme. Oh look, the fire elemental is going to spontaneously explode in 5 minutes, better grab mah tea. Bleh.

I can understand the arguments against the schedule, but how is the current situation with the API sites any different?

eleshazar.6902

I wish people would quite thinking that these maps are their personal instances. That is the way it is sounding to me. These are open world events where anyone can join in. The issue is with the events and not the maps. They should have never been made for an entire map to beat it. Half map sure, whole map no.

I’m not talking about a world boss event. I’m talking about if my guild wants to do a run through orr without any weapons or armor on just for the heck of it (we have definitely done this one in the past)! We can no longer do this together. They can’t fix the fact that this new system will be splitting us up. Half will end up in a map with some other people that were already there, and then when that queues the other half will be somewhere else. If the system wasn’t constantly adding people in (like a homeworld) then this wouldn’t happen except in very rare cases.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I can understand the arguments against the schedule, but how is the current situation with the API sites any different?

It isn’t.

Some people do have a valid reason to be upset, and those would be the people on highly populated servers that guested around to other highly populated servers every day in order to maximize the number of world bosses killed every day. They are going to be capped now since a finite number of bosses will be spawning on a regular schedule so their overall number of kills per day is going to take a hit.

Most people won’t be affected by this, and with one boss popping every fifteen minutes, the majority of players will actually get more boss kills per day now since they will not only know when the boss arrives, but will also have enough people present to kill the boss.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Asmodeus.5782

Diogo: Currently, the boss schedule differs from day to day, depends on the moment people defeated the monster last time. You have to actually check out what’s available, bosses overlap in a millyun different ways. You decide what you want to kill now, and the next day, at the same hour, the choice will be different.
After the changes? If I can only play 3 hours a day, roughly at the same time, I will always face the same set of bosses, at the very same hour. Like a clockwork. Exciting.

William S. Burroughs

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

You never could forcibly subtract anyone from a map instance, though. And you will still have access to a /join command, according to something I read somewhere. (If anyone has the source for this, I’d appreciate the assist)

This doesn’t address the issue with the scheduling of world events, though.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Just for clarification: The new schedule for world boss events will still be introduced as announced, right?

As I understand that entire thing was stuff that would be implemented later in the year as ALL zones made the transition.