We got cheated out of potential AP again

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

Well, there’s always the opinion of this poster who said:

Malediktus.9250
“Keeping the high achievement point skins prestigious (29k+) is a valid reason.”

The fewer AP there is and the harder it is to get AP, the more prestigious the skin is. Isn’t that right Malediktus.3740?

You pulled that out of context again regarding the daily/monthly cap which is already very high @15k AP.
I always advocated for more attainable AP outside of dailies, especially since noone is even close to getting the backpieces in the next few years.

Yes I did pull it out of a dailies cap thread. Capped dailies is something that a lot of us casuals dislike, and you like. However I feel that you’re trying to have it both ways. You complain when the AP you like isn’t enough, because it makes it hard to get the high AP items. Then you turn around and applaud when AP you don’t like is capped because it then makes it hard to get the high AP items.

There is a difference between disliking infinite daily 10 AP for 5minuntes of effort and being unhappy about reducing/removing the amount of AP for things you actually invested several hours each into for a much lower AP / time ratio.
Not to mention these were capped also. A maximum of 65 AP for all 4 minigames combined.

And isn’t the non daily AP also infinite? ANet releases AP one way and releases AP another. Both have short term stops (one daily, the other as new content comes along). However both are equally “infinite/finite” as both can continuously increase and neither have a known future stopping point. Both can have AP which is easy to get, a few minutes, and both can have AP which takes time and effort. The main difference is, you like one and dislike the other.

So therefore when a thread about AP you don’t like comes on the forum, you appear and applaud the cap and say it’s good because it makes the elite items more elite. However when it’s AP you like that’s nerfed, well then it’s awful. It makes the elite items harder to get. You then make a thread and complain about it.

I just find it interesting how your posts about nerfed AP and how hard it is to get elite items depends on whether you specifically like that type of AP and that you never seem to consider other arguments, such as whether or not uncapped daily AP would help ANet retain the casual players or even whether or not pixels on your computer screen can actually be elite or prestigious.

How is non daily AP unlimited? It is very much limited by Anets development speed and has a whole different time/effort vs reward ratio so it is not even close to comparable. Sometimes you only get 3 AP for 500g of resources spent, which means way less than 1 AP per hour of time investment.
This is starting to feel like a strawman argument to be honest.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Malediktus.9250
“Keeping the high achievement point skins prestigious (29k+) is a valid reason.”

The fewer AP there is and the harder it is to get AP, the more prestigious the skin is. Isn’t that right Malediktus.3740?

You pulled that out of context again regarding the daily/monthly cap which is already very high @15k AP.
I always advocated for more attainable AP outside of dailies, especially since noone is even close to getting the backpieces in the next few years.

Yes I did pull it out of a dailies cap thread. Capped dailies is something that a lot of us casuals dislike, and you like. However I feel that you’re trying to have it both ways. You complain when the AP you like isn’t enough, because it makes it hard to get the high AP items. Then you turn around and applaud when AP you don’t like is capped because it then makes it hard to get the high AP items.

There is a difference between disliking infinite daily 10 AP for 5minuntes of effort and being unhappy about reducing/removing the amount of AP for things you actually invested several hours each into for a much lower AP / time ratio.
Not to mention these were capped also. A maximum of 65 AP for all 4 minigames combined.

And isn’t the non daily AP also infinite? ANet releases AP one way and releases AP another. Both have short term stops (one daily, the other as new content comes along). However both are equally “infinite/finite” as both can continuously increase and neither have a known future stopping point. Both can have AP which is easy to get, a few minutes, and both can have AP which takes time and effort. The main difference is, you like one and dislike the other.

So therefore when a thread about AP you don’t like comes on the forum, you appear and applaud the cap and say it’s good because it makes the elite items more elite. However when it’s AP you like that’s nerfed, well then it’s awful. It makes the elite items harder to get. You then make a thread and complain about it.

I just find it interesting how your posts about nerfed AP and how hard it is to get elite items depends on whether you specifically like that type of AP and that you never seem to consider other arguments, such as whether or not uncapped daily AP would help ANet retain the casual players or even whether or not pixels on your computer screen can actually be elite or prestigious.

How is non daily AP unlimited? It is very much limited by Anets development speed and has a whole different time/effort vs reward ratio so it is not even close to comparable. Sometimes you only get 3 AP for 500g of resources spent, which means way less than 1 AP per hour of time investment.

Tell me the stop date where you will no longer get non daily AP.

And I find it interesting that of all my points that’s the only one you talk about

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

lol “cheated”

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Everyone had the same opportunity to earn the points as they were released. For whatever reasons (ranging from not owning the game to real life distractions to not giving a flying cat) they did not take advantage of those opportunities.

While I wouldn’t mind if they made earning points for past content available, I would rather they work on new content then working on placating the handful of AP die hards who can’t fathom not getting something.

SBI

Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.9250

And I find it interesting that of all my points that’s the only one you talk about

Because there is nothing to discuss about your other points. You are just trying to trap me with rhetoric questions.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Malediktus.9250

Because there is nothing to discuss about your other points. You are just trying to trap me with rhetoric questions.

I’ll take this to mean you agree that both types of AP are “infinite.” That is, players will continue to be able to accrue AP (if no artificial stop is placed such as the daily cap) as long as the game is running. If the game ends or both AP is removed, accumulation of both will end and they will become finite.

Note that infinite doesn’t have to do with one set of numbers accumulating faster or more regularly than the other.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I just find it interesting how your posts about nerfed AP and how hard it is to get elite items depends on whether you specifically like that type of AP.

And whether he can get it (see the thread about league pvp achievements in PvP section).
So, basically, he’d like APs to fall within a range where they are too hard for a majority of players to obtain, but not so hard that he wouldn’t be able to get them as well.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Malediktus.3740

I just find it interesting how your posts about nerfed AP and how hard it is to get elite items depends on whether you specifically like that type of AP.

And whether he can get it (see the thread about league pvp achievements in PvP section).
So, basically, he’d like APs to fall within a range where they are too hard for a majority of players to obtain, but not so hard that he wouldn’t be able to get them as well.

This is untrue. A while back I made a whole list of achievement suggestions where I am not even close to achieving quite a few of them. Again the difference is them being non infinite compared to dailies and do not have a hard cap on people who can get them compared to the silly new Pvp titles.
It is incredible how much effort people spend to twist the word of people and discredit them. Quoting people out of context, comparing apples and oranges, using strawman arguments and other rhetoric tricks is not fine.

(edited by Malediktus.3740)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Since everyone else seems to want to digress to pick on the OP, here’s my feeling: there’s nothing inconsistent or outrageous about the OP’s ideas. I don’t agree with them and I think they are phrased in a way that’s sure to cause argument rather than discussion (thus: less effective than some of the OP’s posts in other forum folders).

Let’s be fair: Malediktus has made a ton of suggestions about changes to AP and, in my opinion, they are consistent: the OP advocates introducing more AP more quickly and changing things so that it requires more skill/diligence to gain AP than it usually does now. I don’t think the ideas are mutually exclusive.

I do take issue with Malediktus’ rhetoric (“cheating” isn’t anything close to what’s happened here, for example) and I’m not usually sympathetic to Malediktus’ lack of sympathy towards the massive number of different playstyles present in the community — there’s a tendency to phrase things as if what’s good for one group is necessarily good for the game.

Unfortunately, I think some of the language defeats the OP’s intent, which is to convince more people as well as ANet that there are cracks in the system and some reasonable solutions.

tl;dr the OP’s ideas are reasoned and reasonable and reasonably consistent. I strongly disagree with (most of) them and I dislike how they are phrased.

My hope is that people move on: instead of focusing on the OP’s word choice or motivations, let’s go back to discussing their ideas (and maybe the OP can avoid some of the more inflammatory rhetoric going forward).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

No AP for you this wintersday!

Well, it’s the same for everyone. But I figured people will be unhappy about this considering people complain about the daily AP cap almost every day.

If by people you mean yourself and your other 30 accounts, I would agree.

I never complained about daily AP cap, in fact I advocated for removing daily AP completly.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Poll-to-remove-Daily-Achivement-Cap
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Please-Remove-Daily-Monthly-AP-Cap/
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Daily-Completionist-No-points
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Daily-10AP-s-not-counting
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Not-getting-my-10-daily-APs
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Daily-Achievement-Bugged-1
just a handful of topics I found within 3 minutes of looking

The first link is a thread where a poll is initiated where only people should participate that hit the daily cap, so its completely biased and the 2nd link leads to a thread with its OP removed.
The other four links are all bug reports from people who werent aware of the cap. After being informed, none of them complained of its existance.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Slightly off topic but last year there was an achieve for eating 1000 candy canes if I remember rightly, I did like 700ish and was hoping to finish it this year, but I cannot seem to find it since this patch, did they move it somewhere? can’t find it in historical either.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Slightly off topic but last year there was an achieve for eating 1000 candy canes if I remember rightly, I did like 700ish and was hoping to finish it this year, but I cannot seem to find it since this patch, did they move it somewhere? can’t find it in historical either.

It’s moved to general category, (community achievements, if i remember correctly). To the same place where the wintersday drinks one is now.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

It’s moved to general category, (community achievements, if i remember correctly). To the same place where the wintersday drinks one is now.

Ah right, tyvm, will get it done now then

Posted by: gert.7698

gert.7698

I’m glad we don’t have to do all the activity’s to get all the ap