DirectX 11/12 request [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Sad.

Guild Wars 2 is destined to end up like Lineage 2 in terms of performance. No matter what hardware people get, the performance will always be bad.

My performance has been great the last four years. If I were to upgrade it would be even better. The same goes for other people. As they upgrade their computers, they will eventually be able to play on higher graphics settings. The graphics on the highest settings look infinitely better than WoW and that game has been out for over a decade.

I don’t belive that.
Put all your settings on high and try to get 60 fps at WvW or any populated events like boss kills etc.
It’s just not possible.

About 144 FPS … big NOPE.

If game can acctually utilize hardware ressources before it brings us FPS lagg, that great optimisation.

But what you see in GW2? CPU usage at 40%, GPU usage at 30%, but FPS are dropping. Ehem why you no use 100% CPU and GPU GW2? Why?

We don’t acctually need DX12. We just need this game to be better optimised and acctually use Hyper Threading and utilize 100% of GPU and CPU if it needs to.
Sadly this 10 years old engine can’t do that, and won’t ever be able to do so.

You do not need 60fps to have a game playable. As lng as it’s over 24fps your brain will not tell you differently. Once it drops below 24fps, your brain will notice. This whole “game must run at 60fps or its garbage” is in fact garbage it’s self. I can play the game with everything on max and I never notice frame drops, ever. If you are seeing frame drops, you are doing something wrong.

If you cant notice the difference between 30fps and 60fps then I don’t know what to say, other than you are unique.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-movies-look-smooth-at-24-fps-but-video-games-look-terrible-at-24-fps-Is-it-because-of-motion-blur

Or, I know not to turn my resolution up to max.the only difference I’ve ever noticed with games is the UI size when resolution is involved.

Like I said, if you are noticing frame drops you are doing something wrong.

That means you have things turned up too high for your system. Every system is unique. So no two systems will work the same. But you know this already right?

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

Sad.

Guild Wars 2 is destined to end up like Lineage 2 in terms of performance. No matter what hardware people get, the performance will always be bad.

My performance has been great the last four years. If I were to upgrade it would be even better. The same goes for other people. As they upgrade their computers, they will eventually be able to play on higher graphics settings. The graphics on the highest settings look infinitely better than WoW and that game has been out for over a decade.

I don’t belive that.
Put all your settings on high and try to get 60 fps at WvW or any populated events like boss kills etc.
It’s just not possible.

If game can acctually utilize hardware ressources before it brings us FPS lagg, that great optimisation.

But what you see in GW2? CPU usage at 40%, GPU usage at 30%, but FPS are dropping. Ehem why you no use 100% CPU and GPU GW2? Why?

We don’t acctually need DX12. We just need this game to be better optimised and acctually use Hyper Threading and utilize 100% of GPU and CPU if it needs to.

You do not need 60fps to have a game playable. As lng as it’s over 24fps your brain will not tell you differently. Once it drops below 24fps, your brain will notice. This whole “game must run at 60fps or its garbage” is in fact garbage it’s self. I can play the game with everything on max and I never notice frame drops, ever. If you are seeing frame drops, you are doing something wrong.

If you cant notice the difference between 30fps and 60fps then I don’t know what to say, other than you are unique.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-movies-look-smooth-at-24-fps-but-video-games-look-terrible-at-24-fps-Is-it-because-of-motion-blur

Or, I know not to turn my resolution up to max.the only difference I’ve ever noticed with games is the UI size when resolution is involved.

That means you have things turned up too high for your system. Every system is unique. So no two systems will work the same. But you know this already right?

So its the end users fault that the game engine is single threaded and thus cpu limited? wow!!!!!!! And its their fault when they go to verdant brink that the fps are absolute horrible? wow!!! And its their fault that when even the game is set to the lowest of settings that the fps still identical to the fps at max setting (cpu limited symptom), wow!!!!

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Sad.

I don’t belive that.
It’s just not possible.

So its the end users fault that the game engine is single threaded and thus cpu limited? wow!!!!!!! And its their fault when they go to verdant brink that the fps are absolute horrible? wow!!! And its their fault that when even the game is set to the lowest of settings that the fps still identical to the fps at max setting (cpu limited symptom), wow!!!!

Game engine isn’t single threaded. It’s just not as GPU dependent as some other engines.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Sad.

I don’t belive that.
It’s just not possible.

If they have a potato of a PC, then yes it’s the end users fault. If you do not under stand that the system is not as good as the end user think it is, yes it is the end users fault. If the end user is getting the same fps on low settings as high, then yes they are most definitely at fault.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

Not gonna lie, as a developer reading stuff like this is tantamount to telling a junior dev that the reason their code doesn’t work is because they forgot to set bUWorkNow to true. It’s completely ridiculous, unproductive and very, very funny :p

Posted by: Verlassen.5489

Verlassen.5489

With the new problems running Win10 with Nvidia drivers amplifies the need for a engine upgrade.
The problem is the game just locks up. A three finger salute then escape back into the game works around the issue but this would be deadly in a raid.
This is the only game I have that does this. No other DX9 game does.

Posted by: cosmicegg.8502

cosmicegg.8502

I never knew why my computer fans always blasted while playing GW2… Now I know why. Whenever I play any other games, my CPU does not really go that high, but whenever I play GW2, it uses almost 100% of my CPU prowess.

I thought I f-ed something up when I built my computer…. NOW I FEEL BETTER…

Yeah the game uses an outdated engine from gw1 with strong demands on your processor.

Lea Moonbow
Blackgate

Behellagh.1468

Well they started with the GW engine and built off of that.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: stephanie wise.7841

stephanie wise.7841

How about Anet just sticks to spending money on making the game actually fun to play?

People throw their hands up in the air an wonder why AAA gaming is such kitten these days. Probably because gamers kitten and moan about graphical fidelity like that;s all that matters and when they get just what they asked for they only realize after the fact that they probably should have asked for a good game first.

what many people don’t seams to understand is that this game is already heavy on the cpu and adding more content and putting more people together just make it more and more heavy on the cpu. I understand people want more content and big event. I am not against more content and more event just that optimize the game to solve the cpu heavy issue could be better for the game in general even more if you want to add more stuff and more big event.

stephanie wise.7841

Dev: It can’t be done
Forum Person : pages and pages of how I feel I know better than you.

/end

it is not that it can’t be done it is that they do not want to do it. I understand more fun to make new content. then to fix old stuff and look at code for long period. nothing is impossible if there is a will to do something.

stephanie wise.7841

In the whole of this thread I don’t see a single major benefit DX12 would bring to GW2 being put forward as a reason Anet would want to do this, especially as it’s still only available to a minority of Windows gamers and the numbers of Win10 installations is only growing at a snail’s pace, in spite of Microsoft’s resorting to spamming under-hand ‘important’ updates to Windows 67/8 users attempting to coerce or trick them into ‘upgrading’ to a tablet O/S.

snail pace 300 million pc. in 10 month and you will see that double or triple in the next 3 month. since the free upgrade ends on the 29th july. solving the heavy cpu that this game suffer from, since dx12 use all core and thread at the place of one core thread removing the limit of dx9 that date back to 2003 when pc and only a single core. if 70% performance is not enuff for you to see. I will tell you there is no worse blind then someone that does not want to see.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Sad.

I don’t belive that.
It’s just not possible.

If they have a potato of a PC, then yes it’s the end users fault. If you do not under stand that the system is not as good as the end user think it is, yes it is the end users fault. If the end user is getting the same fps on low settings as high, then yes they are most definitely at fault.

If your FPS is the same on low as it is on high then it is in fact poor optimization that is at fault, not the end user.

stephanie wise.7841

I have been wondering, did anyone measure the drawcalls of GW2?

did not have to measure it. the game crash 10 time in 2 hours. on the last update they made with the return of the alpine borderland. in the error report standing still at the entrance of ebg. the drawcall was at 1112 with nothing moving so imagine how high it gets when you have 2 or 3 zerg of 30+ each doing battle. each new animation is a drawcall. add one drawcall per character. then you have all the skill that they will each use. apart from all the animal npc and surrounding environment that is not a copy will be another drawcall. at 1000 with dx9 fps is all ready starting to drop. that is why people ask if they are going to optimize the game to dx 12. would help the game a lot will also give the dev less limitation to do their art. could be good for every one. I think there is a lot of us that bought the game and the expansion so they cannot say they do not have money to invest in the game. they plan to make more living world and another expansion. the game being all ready heavy on the cpu and limited by dx 9 could be a good idea to optimize to dx 12 before adding more stuff to the game. any way they said they do not want or plan to do it. what do we know we are only the player that buy the game.

Behellagh.1468

We understand that Steph, but it’s not an easy fix no mater what you have read about Dx12 or even Dx11. There are often design decisions made way back when a project is first started that severely hampers adopting new technology or design principles.

It has been said by the devs looking at and who have worked on the actual game engine code that it is not easy. Yet you do not believe them. They are hog tied by some of those decisions which at the time seemed perfectly fine to them so the core engine could get done quickly. NCSOFT once said that GW2 was coming in 2009-2010. That didn’t work out so well.

While what you suggest would benefit the player from ANet’s perspective it’s a matter of time, cost and if such a change is worth the time and cost. Will it bring in more players, today, if it was Dx12?

And if you check the Steam hardware survey you will see that users who have Win 10 AND a Dx12 compatible card isn’t as large as you think. Only 40% of players are running Win 10 and less than half of those are using a Dx12 compatible card. If less than 1 in 5 PC gamers can take advantage, that too factors into the decision to devote the manpower toward improving the engine.

EDIT: I misread the chart, Win 10 + Dx12 card is roughly 1 in 3, not 1 in 5.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

stephanie wise.7841

We understand that Steph, but it’s not an easy fix no mater what you have read about Dx12 or even Dx11. There are often design decisions made way back when a project is first started that severely hampers adopting new technology or design principles.

It has been said by the devs looking at and who have worked on the actual game engine code that it is not easy. Yet you do not believe them. They are hog tied by some of those decisions which at the time seemed perfectly fine to them so the core engine could get done quickly. NCSOFT once said that GW2 was coming in 2009-2010. That didn’t work out so well.

While what you suggest would benefit the player from ANet’s perspective it’s a matter of time, cost and if such a change is worth the time and cost. Will it bring in more players, today, if it was Dx12?

And if you check the Steam hardware survey you will see that users who have Win 10 AND a Dx12 compatible card isn’t as large as you think. Only 40% of players are running Win 10 and less than half of those are using a Dx12 compatible card. If less than 1 in 5 PC gamers can take advantage, that too factors into the decision to devote the manpower toward improving the engine.

look I know I am a gw1 veteran. a lot of gw1 player where waiting for gw2 and they though it would be link to the first game . it was said no it wont because gw2 will use a new engine. also a lot of gw1 player left because gw2 was taking to long to come out. now the answer is that it cannot be done because gw 2 is the same engine that gw1 with heavy modification.

as for the steam I must not read the same article then you do. the majority of their player are using windows 10.
Windows 10 64 bit

38.18%

+1.36%

Windows 7 64 bit

32.53%

-0.81%

Windows 8.1 64 bit

11.89%

-0.97%

Windows 7

7.01%

+0.04%

Windows XP 32 bit

2.03%

+0.04%

Windows 8 64 bit

1.60%

-0.04%

Windows 10

1.33%

+0.05%

Windows 8.1

0.34%

0.00%

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
Windows 10 is now the preferred OS for Steam users
https://www.mweb.co.za/games/view/tabid/4210/Article/25405/Windows-10-is-now-the-preferred-OS-for-Steam-users.aspx

Windows Vista 32 bit

0.22%

-0.01%

Windows 8

0.15%

+0.01%

Windows Vista 64 bit

0.11%

-0.01%

as for compatible dx 12 card The latest Steam statistics reveal that 56.35% of Steam users have Nvidia GPU’s, while 25.5% use an AMD GPU and 17.77% use Intel GPU’s.
most of those card are compatible with dx 12. NVidia card gt 430 and up very long list of dx 12 compatible card..

amd:
AMD Radeon R9 Series graphics
•AMD Radeon R7 Series graphics
•AMD Radeon R5 240 graphics
•AMD Radeon HD 8000 Series graphics for OEM systems (HD 8570 and up)
•AMD Radeon HD 8000M Series graphics for notebooks
•AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series graphics (HD 7730 and up)
•AMD Radeon HD 7000M Series graphics for notebooks (HD 7730M and up)
•AMD A4/A6/A8/A10-7000 Series APUs (codenamed “Kaveri”)
•AMD A6/A8/A10 PRO-7000 Series APUs (codenamed “Kaveri”)
•AMD E1/A4/A10 Micro-6000 Series APUs (codenamed “Mullins”)
•AMD E1/E2/A4/A6/A8-6000 Series APUs (codenamed “Beema”)

as for intel graphic it is in the processor of the pc and if you have 2 card dx 12 use both of them as one what ever the brand or capacity. so your intel graphic card power will be added to your NVidia or amd dx 12 compatible dx 12 card.

and if you tell me well some people could be using only the intel card on their system intel graphic is good for hd movie you can use it. but lack fps for game and most gamer have a NVidia or amd card. and if you do not have one you can get one . those old NVidia gt430 or old amd card are now cheaper then before around 46$. so it should not be a stopper for even beguinner gamer that do not know that having a dedicated card for gaming is needed for the fps.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

So question for all the techies… How does Anet improve performance issues if DMX 11/12 is not going to be used?

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Sorry but using one website (e.g. Steam) to represent all PC’s is wrong. All you do is record those who took the time to complete the survey who happen to use Steam. I’m pretty sure it’s not representative for anything but Steam users.

stephanie wise.7841

I never knew why my computer fans always blasted while playing GW2… Now I know why. Whenever I play any other games, my CPU does not really go that high, but whenever I play GW2, it uses almost 100% of my CPU prowess.

I thought I f-ed something up when I built my computer…. NOW I FEEL BETTER…

Yeah the game uses an outdated engine from gw1 with strong demands on your processor.

yep it need optimization. dx 9 limit is what is causing the fps drop when there is to much animation. the game is very cpu heavy pretty light on the gpu part. dx 12 will drop the cpu and gpu by 50% less over head since no more api traffic cop. dx 12 from what I have read so far it is the most easy optimization ever. the only problem is that it gives devs more job. like I have read in some forum about what it means for devs to go with dx 12 is that they will have to get their finger out of their buts. since at the place of the over head and the api handling the traffic for the game it will be for the dev to handle that part and decide of the work flow for the game so the devs take the place of the api trafic cop and decide of the trafic to make the game work as good as it should. it gives a direct acces to the devs on that part. meaning there is more risk. they will have to be carefull to not go through the layer because they will not have a trafic cop api to handle the trafic. they the dev will be in control of that part. it means more testing on their part to make sure there is no bug.

that is a good part why they do not plan to optimize the game more work. and since it is new and they do not have the experience yet they are very reticent to take the responsibility of being the trafic cop.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Why should I care about that when Overwatch will be much better on the CPU while still being graphically superior?

Isn’t Overwatch a squad based first person shooter? I’m no big city game comparer but it seems to me that’s different from a mmorpg.

stephanie wise.7841

Sorry but using one website (e.g. Steam) to represent all PC’s is wrong. All you do is record those who took the time to complete the survey who happen to use Steam. I’m pretty sure it’s not representative for anything but Steam users.

look it is the steam survey and article from steam saying that windows 10 is the most used by stem and as a steady grow of minimum1.37% per month and last month 2.96%

will also add what it means for devs to switch to dx 12 article is from 451 days ago
http://www.pcgamesn.com/reality-check-what-developers-really-think-of-directx-12
means more job and more risk if they make error means more responsibility.

Clearly, there are significant incentives from both the hardware and software perspective for a clean slate, low-level approach to graphics API design, and the current engine ecosystem seems to allow for it. But what exactly does “low-level” entail? DirectX12 brings a plethora of changes to the API landscape, but the primary efficiency gains which can be expected stem from three central topics:
•Work creation and submission
•Pipeline state management
•Asynchronicity in memory and resource management

All these changes are connected to some extent, and work well together to minimize overhead, but for clarity we’ll try to look at each of them in turn isolated from the rest.
Work Creation and Submission

The ultimate goal of a graphics API is for the program using it to assemble a set of instructions that the GPU can follow, usually called a command list. In higher-level APIs, this is a rather abstract process, while it is performed much more directly in DirectX 12. The following figure compares the approaches of a ‘classical’ high-level API (DirectX 9), with the first attempt at making parallelization possible in DirectX 11 and finally the more direct process in DirectX12.

http://www.pcgamer.com/what-directx-12-means-for-gamers-and-developers/2/

what they are afraid of is the direct process in direct x 12 because they will have to do a very good job on the load balancing and testing. also because it is new and there is not many experience dev for dx 12 yet.

Ayrilana.1396

look it is the steam survey and article from steam saying that windows 10 is the most used by stem and as a steady grow of minimum1.37% per month and last month 2.96%

will also add what it means for devs to switch to dx 12 article is from 451 days ago
http://www.pcgamesn.com/reality-check-what-developers-really-think-of-directx-12

Clearly, there are significant incentives from both the hardware and software perspective for a clean slate, low-level approach to graphics API design, and the current engine ecosystem seems to allow for it. But what exactly does “low-level” entail? DirectX12 brings a plethora of changes to the API landscape, but the primary efficiency gains which can be expected stem from three central topics:

All these changes are connected to some extent, and work well together to minimize overhead, but for clarity we’ll try to look at each of them in turn isolated from the rest.

The ultimate goal of a graphics API is for the program using it to assemble a set of instructions that the GPU can follow, usually called a command list. In higher-level APIs, this is a rather abstract process, while it is performed much more directly in DirectX 12. The following figure compares the approaches of a ‘classical’ high-level API (DirectX 9), with the first attempt at making parallelization possible in DirectX 11 and finally the more direct process in DirectX12.

what they are afraid of is the direct process in direct x 12 because they will have to do a very good job on the load balancing and testing. also because it is new and there is not many experience dev for dx 12 yet.

I don’t really feel like getting into this again as there’s nothing left of the horse and all of its future generations. All that I was pointing out was that you cannot use a survey conducted to a specific community and apply it across the board to everyone else.

stephanie wise.7841

I don’t really feel like getting into this again as there’s nothing left of the horse and all of its future generations. All that I was pointing out was that you cannot use a survey conducted to a specific community and apply it across the board to everyone else.

I have answer someone that made a statement about this. and if my memory is correct they add about 98% or 99 % participation on the survey. yes it is another community of gamer. and from one community to the other there can be some change. but you also have to understand that this number will grown not only on 1 community since all windows will upgrade to windows 10 to get the free upgrade to windows 10 that ends on the 29 th of july, and many are waiting on the last month to upgrade what hold them back fear that something goes wrong since it is new. windows 7 and up can upgrade and it seams there is some loop hole for xp and vista as well to upgrade. also pc are not eternal and some will get new system with windows 10. it is like some people do not want to see that this is coming. the windows part of steam is 95% of their community. windows os have always been the biggest part of the os market across the world. we have to stop blinding our self to fact. is this game cpu heavy? yes, is it limited by dx 9? yes. would it benefit from dx 12? yes would it help the game performance ? yes. would it help it to stay longuer in long term? yes would it benefit anet gw2 and its community ? yes I agree with you that we probably all said what we could on the subject and made search about it. now it all depend on anet and the devs. we cannot do more then what we have done. they may decide at what time they ride the wave if they decide to take it. from a busines position to have a better game and more long lasting could be a good thing. as for those that do not want to see and want to stay blind and always try to say the opposite of what the fact state, it is their problem and their choice. even if they keep denying it it is written every where. maybe one day they will open their eyes. I am also done. I gave sight to those that cannot see and took away sight to those that claim they can see.

Behellagh.1468

look I know I am a gw1 veteran. a lot of gw1 player where waiting for gw2 and they though it would be link to the first game . it was said no it wont because gw2 will use a new engine. also a lot of gw1 player left because gw2 was taking to long to come out. now the answer is that it cannot be done because gw 2 is the same engine that gw1 with heavy modification.

as for the steam I must not read the same article then you do. the majority of their player are using windows 10.
Windows 10 64 bit

38.18%

+1.36%

Windows 7 64 bit

32.53%

-0.81%

Windows 8.1 64 bit

11.89%

-0.97%

Windows 7

7.01%

+0.04%

Windows XP 32 bit

2.03%

+0.04%

Windows 8 64 bit

1.60%

-0.04%

Windows 10

1.33%

+0.05%

Windows 8.1

0.34%

0.00%

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
Windows 10 is now the preferred OS for Steam users
https://www.mweb.co.za/games/view/tabid/4210/Article/25405/Windows-10-is-now-the-preferred-OS-for-Steam-users.aspx

Windows Vista 32 bit

0.22%

-0.01%

Windows 8

0.15%

+0.01%

Windows Vista 64 bit

0.11%

-0.01%

as for compatible dx 12 card The latest Steam statistics reveal that 56.35% of Steam users have Nvidia GPU’s, while 25.5% use an AMD GPU and 17.77% use Intel GPU’s.
most of those card are compatible with dx 12. NVidia card gt 430 and up very long list of dx 12 compatible card..

amd:
AMD Radeon R9 Series graphics
•AMD Radeon R7 Series graphics
•AMD Radeon R5 240 graphics
•AMD Radeon HD 8000 Series graphics for OEM systems (HD 8570 and up)
•AMD Radeon HD 8000M Series graphics for notebooks
•AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series graphics (HD 7730 and up)
•AMD Radeon HD 7000M Series graphics for notebooks (HD 7730M and up)
•AMD A4/A6/A8/A10-7000 Series APUs (codenamed “Kaveri”)
•AMD A6/A8/A10 PRO-7000 Series APUs (codenamed “Kaveri”)
•AMD E1/A4/A10 Micro-6000 Series APUs (codenamed “Mullins”)
•AMD E1/E2/A4/A6/A8-6000 Series APUs (codenamed “Beema”)

as for intel graphic it is in the processor of the pc and if you have 2 card dx 12 use both of them as one what ever the brand or capacity. so your intel graphic card power will be added to your NVidia or amd dx 12 compatible dx 12 card.

and if you tell me well some people could be using only the intel card on their system intel graphic is good for hd movie you can use it. but lack fps for game and most gamer have a NVidia or amd card. and if you do not have one you can get one . those old NVidia gt430 or old amd card are now cheaper then before around 46$. so it should not be a stopper for even beguinner gamer that do not know that having a dedicated card for gaming is needed for the fps.

And I said it was 40% in Windows 10. But that means 60% aren’t. That’s a plurality not a majority. And if you look at the chart, center top labeled Dx10/11/12 systems. Win 10 & Dx12 card is only 33.52% of systems (already corrected my previous post, misread the breakdown) so 1 in 3 are Dx12 ready.

And I’m fully aware what GPUs claim to support Dx12. Although I would love to see Dx12 vs Dx11 benchmarks on all of them to see how many truly support Dx12 fully. If IRC even nVidia’s 9xx GPUs doesn’t support all the Dx12 features, at least as well as the recent AMD GPUs. That’s one of the key features of the 1xxx series from nVidia, full Dx12 support. So GT 430 may be Dx12 capable, doesn’t mean it would make a significant difference over Dx11.

RIP City of Heroes

Behellagh.1468

True but if there is a better survey of what PC gamers have I would like to see it. Until then we know that this is a large survey of gamers PCs. True FPS players will likely have better rigs and are more likely have a Dx12 setup than someone playing FTL and Stardew Valley. But in an absence of any information than wild speculation the EVERYBODY is playing on a Dx12 system now or very soon is just that. Steam simply gives us a inkling of what gamers have.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: sirsquishy.2619

sirsquishy.2619

This game is very single thread locked in regards to performance. There is 1 master thread that controls everything in the game, and that IS the bottleneck and why DX12 will not do anything for the game in regards to performance.

This is not a graphical API issue, its not a worker thread issue, its the main control thread. And this was explained on Reddit some months back by an Anet Game Engine Dev.

stephanie wise.7841

This game is very single thread locked in regards to performance. There is 1 master thread that controls everything in the game, and that IS the bottleneck and why DX12 will not do anything for the game in regards to performance.

This is not a graphical API issue, its not a worker thread issue, its the main control thread. And this was explained on Reddit some months back by an Anet Game Engine Dev.

yes single thread is dx 9. dx 12 is multi core all core can talk to each other and send the job more fast to the gpu. also the dev can have a more and deeper control. on the part that was control by the api. dx 12 will make more fast the game that are single threaded have lots of detail lots of complexity and that are cpu bound or cpu heavy. but the important factor with dx 12 is that it all depends on the gaming devs job the implementation is in their hand to code the game and send the job through all the core to the gpu. handle the memory etc…
to help you understand if you did not read all the article that talk about cpu heavy game the problem is that there is to much computing on the cpu using 1 thread of a core with over head. the cpu fill up to quick and gets to 100 percent and the gpu is waiting at about 30 or 40 percent to receive the job. difference with dx 12 use all core all thread on the system. over head is remove the api control is given to the game dev for them to implement those interaction the same as when a game dev code for console gaming. right now pc have high end graphic card and multicore and thread cpu a lot more powerful then console but because of the coding it is equivalent with console because console coding is done better they know for what hardware it is use and do not have to let the api run that part of the software for them like in dx 9 dx 10 dx 11. when dev do a good job of coding in dx 12 you will get all those gain.
even if you come back with the main single thread control over and over it is normal the game is single thread dx 9 api. it is normal in those day it was the cpu ghz that gave the speed to the system and the new graphic card api is the bridge or the cop that handle the trafficic between cpu and gpu and memory allocation. now ghz as reach the limit and pc use multiple core and thread to gain speed it is like splitting a job so that it gets done more fast between the core and thread and they can all talk together and the dev decide where they send the job with coding.
hope this help you. because I have seen that line about the main control thread is master thread is single thread pass by often enuff. it is normal in those time there was only 1 thread. so you would all code the software to go by one main thread. dx 11 support multiple thread but still use only 1 thread. dx 12 use all thread they can talk to each other to do the job and it is all in the hands of the game dev.

so that single thread can be split by the dev to use different thread. and dx 12 can solve the cpu bound heavy that the game suffer from. that is performance that it bring to the game if the game dev do a good job.

hope it answer that part. that many do not seams to get.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

yes single thread is dx 9.
NO, the engine uses a single thread to prepare information to be passed on to the GPU by dx9, where it is calcualted by the GPU’s threads

dx 12 is multi core
NO dx12 is a programextension that can help implement I/O and basic OS capabilities for easier integration of 3rd party progrmas on an OS, as such it handles the ways information can be send to CPU core’s, GPU, audio, HID and more.
It works as a library so the game writers can write a progrma which can be played on any PC with sufficient capability, ( when the hardware compatibility is ok).

All core can talk to each other and send the job more fast to the gpu.

• Yes this is called hypertransport, and is an exchange mechanism so 1 processor can use data from another core or CPU. it’s completely dx12 independant and part of the CPU infrastucture(as it is made by the CPU manufacturer and needs to be implemented on motherborads for CPU to CPU communication).
  • The speed to GPU will not increase, speed is governed by bandwidth whcih is governed by card bitwidth, bus link speeds and bus width. The datatransfer to the GPU stays the same. as DX 12 doesn’t change the maximum transferrates over the bus. It could however improve multithreaded tasks, and relieve the CPU bottleneck. But only if the game engine allows for this. Which in the case of GW2 isn’t so.

When using dx12 also the dev can have a more and deeper control.
The dev makes a program and is already in full control over the program, He’s allowed more resources; Yes. But this is not really relevant on an older software platform or game engine.

On the part that was control by the api.
Dx 12 will make more fast the game that are single threaded have lots of detail lots of complexity and that are cpu bound or cpu heavy.
NO, -single- threaded engine have no benefit whatsoever from DX12, these engines must be completely rewritten to be able to use multicore for the graphis rendering thread

but the important factor with dx 12 is that it all depends on the gaming devs job the implementation is in their hand to code the game and send the job through all the core to the gpu. handle the memory etc…
Yes and if a program’s engine cannot accept multithreading you can implement dx12 without rebuilding an engine from scratch, but it would not improve the performance. The engine is the communication between the program and the directx components whcih are handling the acces to the hardware responsible for building the frames you see on your PC. If it’s single threaded, it is single threaded, even though dx12 gives it acces to as many threads as the PC has available.

to help you understand if you did not read all the article that talk about cpu heavy game the problem is that there is to much computing on the cpu using 1 thread of a core with over head. (= game engine limit, and not easily changed)

the cpu fill up to quick and gets to 100 percent and the gpu is waiting at about 30 or 40 percent to receive the job. *(Correct, this is the symptom)*

difference with dx 12 use all core all thread on the system.
Problem is: Even if directx 12 could be accessed the game engine is only capable of filling 1 rendering thread. This would make the program run on directx 12 but still only acces the 1 rendering thread, as the programs limitation being the game(-engine)) cannot distribute data to more cores….

over head is remove the api control is given to the game dev for them to implement those interaction the same as when a game dev code for console gaming.
Which is very useful when you are writing a new game engine. but with a 15 years old engine this causes some problems.

right now pc have high end graphic card and multicore and thread cpu a lot more powerful then console but because of the coding it is equivalent with console because console coding is done better they know for what hardware it is use and do not have to let the api run that part of the software for them like in dx 9 dx 10 dx 11. when dev do a good job of coding in dx 12 you will get all those gain.
Again the engine, so the original program isn’t capable of distributing the data to more cores.

even if you come back with the main single thread control over and over it is normal the game is single thread dx 9 api. it is normal in those day it was the cpu ghz that gave the speed to the system and the new graphic card api is the bridge or the cop that handle the trafficic between cpu and gpu and memory allocation. now ghz as reach the limit and pc use multiple core and thread to gain speed it is like splitting a job so that it gets done more fast between the core and thread and they can all talk together and the dev decide where they send the job with coding.
Yes this is the problem now… but 15 years ago when this engine was coded for dx8 originally this wasn’t a problem.

hope this help you. because I have seen that line about the main control thread is master thread is single thread pass by often enuff. it is normal in those time there was only 1 thread. so you would all code the software to go by one main thread. dx 11 support multiple thread but still use only 1 thread. dx 12 use all thread they can talk to each other to do the job and it is all in the hands of the game dev.
You still expect people to remake the whole engine. writing an average engine takes 2-5 years, for a dedicated company

so that single thread can be split by the dev to use different thread. and dx 12 can solve the cpu bound heavy that the game suffer from. that is performance that it bring to the game if the game dev do a good job.
No it cannot, without rewriting the whole game engine

It seems there are many seams, and I hope I have answered the questions which arise

• You have the program, in this case a game Game (gw2.exe) This controls acces to the game engine. security, account acces, acces to the BLTP and so on, and allows for acces to all image, sound and other datalibraries used ingame
  • You have the Game engine (Unreal modified engine, with Havok Physics engine) this controls the build up of the world, the placement of objects and the management of objects in the world, this also places the objects and tells the GPU skins and options and how the game world should be build up, You are interacting ingame with the engine. This also places the information in a stream to the GPU, directX 9 does this in order, DX12 does this parallel, while retaining order. problem is if the engine is written for dx9 it cannot send it to different threads. The different processes can be different threads though, (read the program, the engine and I/O’s). The engine is started by the program but is a program in it’s own right. As are the networking services and other I/O’s (including the database(s) with sprites, textures and skins)
  • You have the API layer (directX,Vulkan, OpenGL) this allows the input and output to all hardware without so implementation of the game can be simplified. This will take over some hardware control from the OS for direct acces. This transfers data to the hardware and allows communications with the engine. so you type and direct X sends this info to the engine directx allows the use of any keyboard or mouse, or GPU, or CPU audio, I/O and so on.
  • You have the OS which handles I/O and runs the software. it is the platform the program runs on which handles the engine and the platform whcih allows for the API to run so this works together with API. This is also why directX versions are often coupled with OS-es nowadays.
  • You have the hardware which is the physical limits to the games capabilities. (RAM, GPU type, CPU’s , audio, LAN, HID’s) which are unaccessible without an OS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_engine

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: MadVisions.4529

MadVisions.4529

Atm if you dont have an over average CPU you gonna struggle to play this game. ~10 fps on pve events, ~3 fps in wvw zerg fights, ~20 fps in a PvP teamfight.
even if i found the budget to upgrade my PC ANet servers are still too small to handle wvw, so whatever.

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

yes single thread is dx 9. dx 12 is multi core all core can talk to each other and send the job more fast to the gpu. also the dev can have a more and deeper control. on the part that was control by the api. dx 12 will make more fast the game that are single threaded have lots of detail lots of complexity and that are cpu bound or cpu heavy. but the important factor with dx 12 is that it all depends on the gaming devs job the implementation is in their hand to code the game and send the job through all the core to the gpu. handle the memory etc…
to help you understand if you did not read all the article that talk about cpu heavy game the problem is that there is to much computing on the cpu using 1 thread of a core with over head. the cpu fill up to quick and gets to 100 percent and the gpu is waiting at about 30 or 40 percent to receive the job. difference with dx 12 use all core all thread on the system. over head is remove the api control is given to the game dev for them to implement those interaction the same as when a game dev code for console gaming. right now pc have high end graphic card and multicore and thread cpu a lot more powerful then console but because of the coding it is equivalent with console because console coding is done better they know for what hardware it is use and do not have to let the api run that part of the software for them like in dx 9 dx 10 dx 11. when dev do a good job of coding in dx 12 you will get all those gain.

One thing are the threads of the API and another are the ones related to the game engine. In Gw2, both are single threaded, but the game engine ones are the source of performance issues. They are independent and a separated junk of software.
While it is true dx12 would bring multithreading, ONLY FOR THE API, it wouldn’t solve the performance issues as the game engine thread is still single-threaded and the multithreading of dx12 has no effect on the behaviour of the game engine.

Hope this helps to finally make your brain to understand why dx12 wouldn’t solve the performance issues in Gw2.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

(edited by Ansau.7326)

stephanie wise.7841

yes single thread is dx 9.
NO, the engine uses a single thread to prepare information to be passed on to the GPU by dx9, where it is calcualted by the GPU’s threads

dx 12 is multi core
NO dx12 is a programextension that can help implement I/O and basic OS capabilities for easier integration of 3rd party progrmas on an OS, as such it handles the ways information can be send to CPU core’s, GPU, audio, HID and more.
It works as a library so the game writers can write a progrma which can be played on any PC with sufficient capability, ( when the hardware compatibility is ok).

All core can talk to each other and send the job more fast to the gpu.

• Yes this is called hypertransport, and is an exchange mechanism so 1 processor can use data from another core or CPU. it’s completely dx12 independant and part of the CPU infrastucture(as it is made by the CPU manufacturer and needs to be implemented on motherborads for CPU to CPU communication).
  • The speed to GPU will not increase, speed is governed by bandwidth whcih is governed by card bitwidth, bus link speeds and bus width. The datatransfer to the GPU stays the same. as DX 12 doesn’t change the maximum transferrates over the bus. It could however improve multithreaded tasks, and relieve the CPU bottleneck. But only if the game engine allows for this. Which in the case of GW2 isn’t so.

When using dx12 also the dev can have a more and deeper control.
The dev makes a program and is already in full control over the program, He’s allowed more resources; Yes. But this is not really relevant on an older software platform or game engine.

On the part that was control by the api.
Dx 12 will make more fast the game that are single threaded have lots of detail lots of complexity and that are cpu bound or cpu heavy.
NO, -single- threaded engine have no benefit whatsoever from DX12, these engines must be completely rewritten to be able to use multicore for the graphis rendering thread

but the important factor with dx 12 is that it all depends on the gaming devs job the implementation is in their hand to code the game and send the job through all the core to the gpu. handle the memory etc…
Yes and if a program’s engine cannot accept multithreading you can implement dx12 without rebuilding an engine from scratch, but it would not improve the performance. The engine is the communication between the program and the directx components whcih are handling the acces to the hardware responsible for building the frames you see on your PC. If it’s single threaded, it is single threaded, even though dx12 gives it acces to as many threads as the PC has available.

to help you understand if you did not read all the article that talk about cpu heavy game the problem is that there is to much computing on the cpu using 1 thread of a core with over head. (= game engine limit, and not easily changed)

the cpu fill up to quick and gets to 100 percent and the gpu is waiting at about 30 or 40 percent to receive the job. *(Correct, this is the symptom)*

difference with dx 12 use all core all thread on the system.
Problem is: Even if directx 12 could be accessed the game engine is only capable of filling 1 rendering thread. This would make the program run on directx 12 but still only acces the 1 rendering thread, as the programs limitation being the game(-engine)) cannot distribute data to more cores….

over head is remove the api control is given to the game dev for them to implement those interaction the same as when a game dev code for console gaming.
Which is very useful when you are writing a new game engine. but with a 15 years old engine this causes some problems.

right now pc have high end graphic card and multicore and thread cpu a lot more powerful then console but because of the coding it is equivalent with console because console coding is done better they know for what hardware it is use and do not have to let the api run that part of the software for them like in dx 9 dx 10 dx 11. when dev do a good job of coding in dx 12 you will get all those gain.
Again the engine, so the original program isn’t capable of distributing the data to more cores.

Yes this is the problem now… but 15 years ago when this engine was coded for dx8 originally this wasn’t a problem.

You still expect people to remake the whole engine. writing an average engine takes 2-5 years, for a dedicated company

No it cannot, without rewriting the whole game engine

It seems there are many seams, and I hope I have answered the questions which arise

• You have the program, in this case a game Game (gw2.exe) This controls acces to the game engine. security, account acces, acces to the BLTP and so on, and allows for acces to all image, sound and other datalibraries used ingame
  • You have the Game engine (Unreal modified engine, with Havok Physics engine) this controls the build up of the world, the placement of objects and the management of objects in the world, this also places the objects and tells the GPU skins and options and how the game world should be build up, You are interacting ingame with the engine. This also places the information in a stream to the GPU, directX 9 does this in order, DX12 does this parallel, while retaining order. problem is if the engine is written for dx9 it cannot send it to different threads. The different processes can be different threads though, (read the program, the engine and I/O’s). The engine is started by the program but is a program in it’s own right. As are the networking services and other I/O’s (including the database(s) with sprites, textures and skins)
  • You have the API layer (directX,Vulkan, OpenGL) this allows the input and output to all hardware without so implementation of the game can be simplified. This will take over some hardware control from the OS for direct acces. This transfers data to the hardware and allows communications with the engine. so you type and direct X sends this info to the engine directx allows the use of any keyboard or mouse, or GPU, or CPU audio, I/O and so on.
  • You have the OS which handles I/O and runs the software. it is the platform the program runs on which handles the engine and the platform whcih allows for the API to run so this works together with API. This is also why directX versions are often coupled with OS-es nowadays.
  • You have the hardware which is the physical limits to the games capabilities. (RAM, GPU type, CPU’s , audio, LAN, HID’s) which are unaccessible without an OS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_engine

The speed to GPU will not increase, speed is governed by bandwidth whcih is governed by card bitwidth, bus link speeds and bus width. The datatransfer to the GPU stays the same. as DX 12 doesn’t change the maximum transferrates over the bus. It could however improve multithreaded tasks, and relieve the CPU bottleneck. But only if the game engine allows for this. Which in the case of GW2 isn’t so.*_

it gain speed because of multithreading and the over head being remove also since the devs will make better code to replace the election of the api that need to validate and control the load balancing will also save cpu power and process. since the code will do that job. in dx 9 dx 10 dx 11 devs have no access to that. dx 12 bring direct control of that level.(The primary feature highlight for the new release of DirectX was the introduction of advanced low-level programming APIs for Direct3D 12 which can reduce driver overhead. Developers are now able to implement their own command lists and buffers to the GPU, allowing for more efficient resource utilisation through parallel computation. Lead developer Max McMullen, stated that the main goal of Direct3D 12 is to achieve “console-level efficiency on phone, tablet and PC”)(and what tell you that gw2 does not? I have not read any where that devs have try to optimize gw 2 to dx 12 or try to do something similar. any source for this?

Even if directx 12 could be accessed the game engine is only capable of filling 1 rendering thread. This would make the program run on directx 12 but still only acces the 1 rendering thread, as the programs limitation being the game(-engine)) cannot distribute data to more cores….*_

what is needed for the engine to be able to use more then one thread or core? is it a coding language limitation or game engine structure limitation(like it as only one x to use one thread and you would need to add more X to the engine to use more thread? game engine is a program a program you can add stuff to it I guess since you said that it is the same then gw 1 but modified if they modified it once to add what they needed they could probably do it again.

yes you are right it is simplified so that the dev do not see what is happening behind the api door this is changing in dx 12. dev have more control. yes often devs do not want to play with hardware. dx handle the hardware part. depending on what program language they use sometime devs will also have abstraction layer keeping them in the dark on the process happening under the layer. also some coding language have some limitation.

but the fact was that yes it is normal that the thread is single since it use dx 9 and it was in use when cpu where single core.(at that time you could not tell the data to go to another core there was only one.) and yes dx 12 is multicore(meaning you can send data using coding to multiple core to do more job at once meaning a speed gain.) you can use more then 1 core and it can solve the bottle neck of cpu heavy software. saying no and that the game engine is not able to use more thread in its current state (using only one thread)with dx 12 does not means that dx 12 does not support it and that it does not bring this improvement. it just means that the game engine would need a upgrade to be able to use multiple core.

we all ready know that we are talking about single core game that need a upgrade and that can benefit of dx 12 improvement. Dx 12 will make more fast the game that are single threaded have lots of detail lots of complexity and that are cpu bound or cpu heavy.
_*NO, -single- threaded engine have no benefit whatsoever from DX12, these engines must be completely rewritten to be able to use multicore for the graphis rendering thread
so we agree that with single core game that have no optimization will not gain the improvement but if they have the optimization it will solve the bottle neck issue.
we are saying the same thing it is just that we understand it differently. most of the no becomes yes if the engine is optimized. we could spend day adding stuff that say the same thing and the issue would always be that people do not understand what is said. and some complain that we talk to much about it. yet many repeat the same thing and often do not understand what they are saying or talking about or they would not copy paste things written like this (that IS the bottleneck and why DX12 will not do anything for the game in regards to performance.) with out more explanation about it. since read like that this is absolutely false.

The key takeaway from all of this is section 2, “Parallel Execution State”. Designing systems for functional decomposition, coupled with data decomposition will deliver a good amount of parallelization and will also ensure scalability with future processors with an even larger amount of cores. Remember to use the state manager along with the messaging mechanism to keep all data in sync with only minimal synchronization overhead.

The observer design pattern is a function of the messaging mechanism and some time should be spent learning it so that the most efficient design possible can be implemented to address the needs of your engine. After all, it is the mechanism of communication between the different systems to synchronize all shared data.

Tasking plays an important role in proper load balancing. Following the tips in Appendix D will help you create an efficient task manager for your engine.

As you can see, designing a highly parallel engine is manageable by using clearly defined messaging and structure. Properly building parallelism into your game engine will give it significant performance gains on modern and all future processors.
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/designing-the-framework-of-a-parallel-game-engine/
also example: with havoc engine.

(edited by stephanie wise.7841)

Posted by: Cronos.6532

Cronos.6532

nevermind my $3000 pc doesn’t support dx12 rofl

just make it dx11

Windows 10 is free, I would upgrade if I were you.

The thing is, DX9 was a success since most developers utilized it…however, I hear it was a total PITA to code using it, and that dx10 and 11 were even less dev friendly. DX12 is suppose to be better on code monkies, at least from what ive heard.

Also the advantages of the jump from 9 to 12 is huge, dx10 gets you…?? and 11 tessalation…which is ok but you know…

DX12 is going to be the new standard, so the sooner they get on board the better….

But yeah I don’t see it happening…its a huge undertaking that wont yield new players really…maybe a few would check it out just to see how it all works if they get it done before it becomes standard issue…which wont happen.

We will have to wait for GW3 for that….and to be honest…they should do the WoW thing, just keep making the game you have that people like better rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. So maybe if they see fit to not make a 3rd game and just keep gw2 going forever, then dx12 would make sense.

I was always on Windows 10. DirectX 12 only works on very new cards, whether they’re running Windows 10 or not.

Ethereal Guardians [EG]
etherealguardians.com

stephanie wise.7841

One thing are the threads of the API and another are the ones related to the game engine. In Gw2, both are single threaded, but the game engine ones are the source of performance issues. They are independent and a separated junk of software.
While it is true dx12 would bring multithreading, ONLY FOR THE API, it wouldn’t solve the performance issues as the game engine thread is still single-threaded and the multithreading of dx12 has no effect on the behaviour of the game engine.

Hope this helps to finally make your brain to understand why dx12 wouldn’t solve the performance issues in Gw2.

my brain as already understand all that the issue with the game engine is that it is not multithreaded. if it was dx 12 would solve the cpu bound heavy issue. that is exactely what we are talking about. the game engine is missing a 2 or 3 software component to be multithreaded. like you can see in the page below of a example with a havoc engine to have parelle computing. multithreading. the things is people say it can’t be done. and there is example of how to do it. it was the same before with 64 bit client it can’t be done well now it is done. maybe it will get done you never know. if it can solve the issue of the game and make it run longer and the devs can do more with it having less limitation could make the game run longer and could be a good investment for long term. they will make the decision. the future will tell.

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

recoding the gw2 program is easy.
recoding the engine is not

direct X 12 is available to all of you, just not with GW2.

Unless the engine is completely recoded en rewritten for DX12 and the gw2.exe rewritten to make use of these options when possible, any wish for dx12 is pointless…

A-Net cannot buy a new engine. The engine which is used is a heavily modded engine.
even if they could procure the newest generation of the successor of the original game engine they would still need a huge time to recode the engine…

Lastly if they could aquire this engine and work on it, it is not said the engine woulf be avaialable free of charge… Most companies writing game engines ask for percentages (5-30%..) of the profit of the game which uses the engine’s if it takes off.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.

stephanie wise.7841

nevermind my $3000 pc doesn’t support dx12 rofl

just make it dx11

Windows 10 is free, I would upgrade if I were you.

The thing is, DX9 was a success since most developers utilized it…however, I hear it was a total PITA to code using it, and that dx10 and 11 were even less dev friendly. DX12 is suppose to be better on code monkies, at least from what ive heard.

Also the advantages of the jump from 9 to 12 is huge, dx10 gets you…?? and 11 tessalation…which is ok but you know…

DX12 is going to be the new standard, so the sooner they get on board the better….

But yeah I don’t see it happening…its a huge undertaking that wont yield new players really…maybe a few would check it out just to see how it all works if they get it done before it becomes standard issue…which wont happen.

We will have to wait for GW3 for that….and to be honest…they should do the WoW thing, just keep making the game you have that people like better rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. So maybe if they see fit to not make a 3rd game and just keep gw2 going forever, then dx12 would make sense.

I was always on Windows 10. DirectX 12 only works on very new cards, whether they’re running Windows 10 or not.

Intel: Intel Haswell (4th gen. Core) and Broadwell (5th gen. Core) processors

AMD: Radeon HD 7000-series graphics cards, Radeon HD 8000-series graphics cards, Radeon R7- and R9-series graphics cards, and the following APUs (which meld CPU and GPU on a single chip): AMD A4/A6/A8/A10-7000 APUs (codenamed “Kaveri”), AMD A6/A8/A10 PRO-7000 APUs (codenamed “Kaveri”), AMD E1/A4/A10 Micro-6000 APUs (codenamed “Mullins”), AMD E1/E2/A4/A6/A8-6000 APUs (codenamed “Beema”)

Nvidia: GeForce 600-, 700-, and 900-series graphics cards, GTX Titan series

Of particular note, Nvidia promised DirectX 12 compatibility for older graphics cards based off its Fermi GPUs—namely, the GeForce 400- and 500-series.

The GeForce 400 Series is the 11th generation of Nvidia’s GeForce graphics processing units, which serves as the introduction for the Fermi (microarchitecture) (GF-codenamed chips), named after the Italian physicist Enrico Fermi. The series was originally slated for production in November 2009,1 but, after a number of delays, launched on March 26, 2010 with availability following in April 2010.

7 year I think is not that very new.

sirsquishy.2619

Not quoting cause some of these replies are like a page from a dictionary.

DX12 will do nothing for this game in regards to performance. It will however update the graphics API to take advantage of some of the newer features of DX12.

The game engine is the problem, and the fact that is uses a single control thread to handle all the calls. That is the ONLY bottleneck that ties GW2 to a single core in regards to performance.

Source – https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3ajnso/bad_optimalization_in_gw2/csdnn3n

DX12 cannot fix that issue.

Only a Game Engine update can.

AND, for the record here, Anet has already formally said ‘there are no plans to update the game engine to support DX12 or Mantle’ On reddit.

Source – https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/48zlyd/im_mike_obrien_here_with_gw2_dev_team_ama/d0nzpes?context=10000

So all this is moot, unless you want to throw money at NCSoft in hopes that they will force Anet to redo the game engine to fix the bottleneck.

But with CPUs being as fast as they are, and the fact you can get 40FPS on a 4790k@4.6ghz running a GTX950 at 2560×1600 during all but 2 boss events, just means they do not need to do anything about the game engine ‘right now’.

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

DX 12 is compatible with a lot of cards. compatible means not all features will be usable. but workarounds can be used, most of these cards are direct X 11.0 or 11.1

Only full (true) dx12 cards (dx12.0 and better) will be using all features. These will be nvidia GTX 960,970,980 and 1080 and the last 2 generations of radeons. say the AMD radeon R7 260 and R9’s 2xx ( + ) and the R7 360 ( + ) and R9 3xx

so of all mentioned card you cannot say if the implementation will get as high a result as you do now project. those cards are nowhere near 7 years old.

compatible doesnt’ mean fully capable. It just says it will work in some parts.

stephanie wise.7841

DX12 will do nothing for this game in regards to performance. It will however update the graphics API to take advantage of some of the newer features of DX12.

The game engine is the problem, and the fact that is uses a single control thread to handle all the calls. That is the ONLY bottleneck that ties GW2 to a single core in regards to performance.

Source – https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3ajnso/bad_optimalization_in_gw2/csdnn3n

AND, for the record here, Anet has already formally said ‘there are no plans to update the game engine to support DX12 or Mantle’ On reddit.

Source – https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/48zlyd/im_mike_obrien_here_with_gw2_dev_team_ama/d0nzpes?context=10000

So all this is moot, unless you want to throw money at NCSoft in hopes that they will force Anet to redo the game engine to fix the bottleneck.

But with CPUs being as fast as they are, and the fact you can get 40FPS on a 4790k@4.6ghz running a GTX950 at 2560×1600 during all but 2 boss events, just means they do not need to do anything about the game engine ‘right now’.

cpu ghz as nothing to do with it. let me explain something to you your software is store on hard drive or ssd, the cpu ask for data that comes from the hard drive or ssd. and they are always more slow then the cpu. you can run raid 0 (2 hardrive in parallel simultaneous)ncq (32 stripe per turn of disk) with a 3.6 ghz cpu and it can take it and take even more. but it can’t get more because that is the max data you will get to it. so having more ghz means only that the will do the job faster when it gets to the cpu. the real issue is the over head. since it slow down the data that get to the cpu. because the api needs to slow down that traffic and validate transaction. that is why there is over head in the first place. dx 12 bring multithreading and remove the over head since the gaming devs will do that job before it reach the api and will control the over head to make the game run as good as it can with no issue. right now it is like a bridge call cpu that as more then one lane multithreading but the engine know only to use 1 lane and send all is car on the bridge using only one lane and right after the bridge you have the api traffic cop that slow down the traffic and validate so that no accident happen (overhead) that is why gpu is waiting for those car that will make delivery. if the engine would be multithreaded and the gaming dev would do a good job car could use all lane to cross the bridge and the api cop would not need to validate and make over head or not as often. meaning no traffic stop on the bridge cpu.

sirsquishy.2619

cpu ghz as nothing to do with it. let me explain something to you your software is store on hard drive or ssd, the cpu ask for data that comes from the hard drive or ssd. and they are always more slow then the cpu. you can run raid 0 (2 hardrive in parallel simultaneous)ncq (32 stripe per turn of disk) with a 3.6 ghz cpu and it can take it and take even more. but it can’t get more because that is the max data you will get to it. so having more ghz means only that the will do the job faster when it gets to the cpu. the real issue is the over head. since it slow down the data that get to the cpu. because the api needs to slow down that traffic and validate transaction. that is why there is over head in the first place. dx 12 bring multithreading and remove the over head since the gaming devs will do that job before it reach the api and will control the over head to make the game run as good as it can with no issue. right now it is like a bridge call cpu that as more then one lane multithreading but the engine know only to use 1 lane and send all is car on the bridge using only one lane and right after the bridge you have the api traffic cop that slow down the traffic and validate so that no accident happen (overhead) that is why gpu is waiting for those car that will make delivery. if the engine would be multithreaded and the gaming dev would do a good job car could use all lane to cross the bridge and the api cop would not need to validate and make over head or not as often. meaning no traffic stop on the bridge cpu.

I’m sorry I stopped reading there after I saw the wall of text about to crit my FACE for 9,000!

And… you are wrong. The faster the IPC of the CPU the faster GW2 is over all. so Ghz directly relates to performance. With newer CPUs that are just faster due to Process (Sandy to Ivy, to Haswell, to Broadwell, to Skylake) the faster the Clock the faster the instructions on top of it.

ProTip: Learn to paragraph. Your Posts are VERY hard to follow since its not very well put together. On your next reply, take time to separate your statements out and use proper punctuation. Please.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

A lot of total BS that is completely being misunderstood.

I’m sorry, but almost all of what you have been claiming for the past several pages has been completely false aside from the mentioning of a few random statistics which promote that the DX12 API is faster than DX9 in certain hardware configurations. That said, this has nothing to do with why the game runs poorly. This is the engine not being written in a way to take advantage of multiple cores for performance gains. Simply adding DX12 API calls will do nothing.

DX12 will do absolutely nothing in the game’s current optimization state. Nothing. Zero. Anyone claiming there will be some magical performance gains has clearly no knowledge of parallel computing and writing code for distributed systems.

This is an expensive, difficult, and slow-moving fix which would probably take years to complete. You’re better off asking ANet for an updated engine for GW3, because it’d probably take that much staff, that long of a time, and that much funding from investors to complete.

Please, go read up on Shavit and Herlihy to get the basics down before you talk as though you’re some kind of parallel systems expert.

Ansau.7326

You still need to learn a few things, and please, do it before you answer with a new fantasy false theory.

• Multi-threading an existing single-threaded game engine isn’t as easy as making one from the ground or adding just 2 or 3 missing software components.
    Words of an anet dev:
    “Software engineers are forced to properly design their applications to work well in parallel. Doing this after the fact is usually on the range of non-trivial to very hard.”
    “There are conscious efforts in moving things off the main thread and onto other threads, but due to how multi-threading works it’s a non-trivial thing that take a lot of effort to do.”
  • GHz has everything to do. Bottleneck comes from the massive amount of calculations needed to do on the run.
  • Why do you relate the API with the storage bandwidth bottleneck? Don’t you realize how bad and noobish you sound?
    One thing is the draw call overhead from the API and another completely different is the bandwidth bottleneck from the main storage.
  • Gw2 engine won’t be multithreaded because the real world is not Tyria. Magic doesn’t exist in the real world and a game engine cannot become multi-threaded with an ABRACADABRA. It requires a lot of time (probably months if not over a year), stopping the delivering of content, an entire big team dedicated to it and, essentially, a lot of money at the start and the willing to lose a lot of it in the mid-long term.
    Chances to happen are very low to non-existent.

So instead of such amount of: “If the game engine was multithreaded…”, enjoy the game as it is, and if you have performance issues, upgrade the potato specs you have and play with lowered settings.

(edited by Ansau.7326)

stephanie wise.7841

You still need to learn a few things, and please, do it before you answer with a new fantasy false theory.

• Multi-threading an existing single-threaded game engine isn’t as easy as making one from the ground or adding just 2 or 3 missing software components.
    Words of an anet dev:
    “Software engineers are forced to properly design their applications to work well in parallel. Doing this after the fact is usually on the range of non-trivial to very hard.”
    “There are conscious efforts in moving things off the main thread and onto other threads, but due to how multi-threading works it’s a non-trivial thing that take a lot of effort to do.”
  • GHz has everything to do. Bottleneck comes from the massive amount of calculations needed to do on the run.
  • Why do you relate the API with the storage bandwidth bottleneck? Don’t you realize how bad and noobish you sound?
    One thing is the draw call overhead from the API and another completely different is the bandwidth bottleneck from the main storage.
  • Gw2 engine won’t be multithreaded because the real world is not Tyria. Magic doesn’t exist in the real world and a game engine cannot become multi-threaded with an ABRACADABRA. It requires a lot of time (probably months if not over a year), stopping the delivering of content, an entire big team dedicated to it and, essentially, a lot of money at the start and the willing to lose a lot of it in the mid-long term.
    Chances to happen are very low to non-existent.

So instead of such amount of: “If the game engine was multithreaded…”, enjoy the game as it is, and if you have performance issues, upgrade the potato specs you have and play with lowered settings.

here from the same discussion that you add before: CPU and System memory will always be the biggest bottlenecks it’s worth noting here there are certain things that can literally only run on a single cpu due to how some algorithms work(this goes for all games) and given what the ANet dev has stated most of our issues is how threading is currently being handled and probably needs to be refactored(massive undertaking).

do you agree that if there would be no over head the cpu would not become a bottleneck like it is now?

do you agree that if it would use multithreading you would have more lane to send the data through?

well that is what dx 12 will bring.

telling people that cpu ghz will solve the issue is false since it is the overhead that is slowing the cpu sending the job to the gpu.

it is not only me that is saying it Microsoft is saying it, intel is saying it, the devs they asked about. in the link that I have posted before. what do you think about dx 12 from a devs perspective. they all say it will solve the overhead and it will give devs a better control and understanding of the code and how it works at a level they usely do not see. negative point for devs more job more testing to make sure it works good.

as for your comment I enjoy the game and like the game. when it works good. but you have to agree that single thread and dx 9 limitation with lots of overhead bottle neck the cpu.

as for my patato spec I run windows 10 pro 64 bit i7 (turbo mode up to 4.2ghz). 32 gb ssd maxize mode.

even if you could say you can overclock your system to have more ghz example to 4.6ghz. it does not solve the problem. and I will not turn my system in a welding machine to have minus 0.4ghz gain. overclock cause heat problem and you burn the cpu faster at 4.3 ghz. and like I said before if a raid 0(A RAID 0 array of n drives provides data read and write transfer rates up to n times higher than the individual drive rates, but with no data redundancy. As a result, RAID 0 is primarily used in applications that require high performance and are able to tolerate lower reliability, such as in scientific computing or computer gaming.)
with ncq 32 strip per drive turn (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Command_Queuing ) can run on a 3.6 ghz cpu and the 3.6ghz cpu can handle even more data send by the storage adding 0.4ghz does not help much.

since the cpu will still wait for the data and will still be bottleneck because of the over head. and if I am having that problems with a good system imagine the people that do not have a good system.

how I know this my old pc add that set up.
adding more ghz does not solve the issue you get minimal gain.
if you really are a dev and can’t understand this.
Don’t you realize how bad and noobish you sound?

when I run gw2 on my system my fps is around 65 fps to 104 fps. when I get it view of a zerg it drops to 58 fps. when I get in to a zerg figth in wvw it drop to 19 fps. and that is with a good system. it is not a hardware issue since the hardware is there but the software optimization for the game is not there to use it. the hardware as evolve but the game software did not. apart from the 64 bit client that you did not see the improvement that it would bring and that as now arrive after the launch of hot . it helped a lot since now the game stopped crashing.

(edited by stephanie wise.7841)

Ayrilana.1396

It’s because the one poster is literally copy and pasting directly from Wikipedia. They merge it in with their post as if it was their own.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

I agree 100% that gw2 will not miraculously be saved with dx12 due to the engine.
I do, however have an issue with the game being designed (some of it) for large groups, zerg and wvw, that the engine can’t handle.
The fact that CPUs became parallel and not just raw clocks in a sense hurt gw2. I mean who wouldn’t want that nice i5 running at 7ghz? The game would be buttery smooth.
I foresee 0 dx or any other API changes as well as the status quo for performance.
I have to admit the devs did a good job cramming what they did into the game but the age of the engine is showing.
Hopefully gw3 will have a modern engine, but then again by the time that game is released, the engine won’t support dx 21 holographic outputs

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Ansau.7326

Again, forget about the miracles and possibilities of an ideal workaround and focus more on what we have and which are the plans for the future.

- Devs say there are no plans to upgrade to a newer API.
-Devs have said solving the issues of the game engine is a non-trivial task.
- Since the game was launched some of these optimizations have been done.

So here we are. Optimizing is possible, but there’s no will to do it because the efforts and resources needed to achieve that aren’t worth the result they would get.

Btw, there’s no need to post walls of copied text nobody reads or understands.

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

Sorry, but as far as sample sizes, variability and anything else, steam community is by far the best viable sample for gathering statistics about pc gamers at large. Or what do you really think that any statistic in existence actually goes to everyone and check individually everyone?

Most data in the world is gathered through samples, and if you can think of a better sample than steam, i’d be freaking amazed.

Ayrilana.1396

Sorry, but as far as sample sizes, variability and anything else, steam community is by far the best viable sample for gathering statistics about pc gamers at large. Or what do you really think that any statistic in existence actually goes to everyone and check individually everyone?

Most data in the world is gathered through samples, and if you can think of a better sample than steam, i’d be freaking amazed.

What percentage of players use steam? A better route would be to go with the adoption rate of Windows 10 among all PC’s.

stephanie wise.7841

What percentage of players use steam? A better route would be to go with the adoption rate of Windows 10 among all PC’s.

only problem what that is that it would give you the os system in the world not the percentage of gamer pc. think about it many company not in science stuff or gaming do not need performance pc. that data all ready exist market share of os. https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

but for gaming statistic steam collected data but there is no other gaming place that collect such data to our knowledge unless you know a place.

Ayrilana.1396

only problem what that is that it would give you the os system in the world not the percentage of gamer pc. think about it many company not in science stuff or gaming do not need performance pc. that data all ready exist market share of os. https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

but for gaming statistic steam collected data but there is no other gaming place that collect such data to our knowledge unless you know a place.

And the problem with using steam is that it only gives you players who use that service and actually took the survey. Not to mention it’s based on whatever they consider to be “active”.

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

Guild wars 2 performance is perfectly good as it stands in comparison to any other mmorpg out there, and its gorgeous. so there are 2 choices for the devs:

1. implement DX version X and make an already stable game even better, but at the obvious cost opportunity cost – new content.

2. Keep developing content in the knowledge that the vast majority get good to excellent performance knowing that as years progress technology will improve in any case.

its a no brainer.

So those arguing for Direct X apparently think that performance gain is more important than new content, or rather they are looking at something in isolation..

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

(edited by vesica tempestas.1563)

Behellagh.1468

And the problem with using steam is that it only gives you players who use that service and actually took the survey. Not to mention it’s based on whatever they consider to be “active”.

Survey is simply permission but at least that sample starts with those who game on PCs rather than using every PC on the planet as a starting point. Since nearly all new PCs ship with 10 that skews the “adoption rate”.

RIP City of Heroes