When do u expect the lvl cap be raise?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

ANet would be shooting themselves in the foot if they raised the level cap at this point. People who have worked very hard for exotic and ascended gear would suddenly find all their work, money, and materials rendered obsolete. I can’t think of a faster way for ANet to loose most of it’s player base than to raise the level cap. They’ve done a lot of things with the game. Much of it has been good, some of it bad, some good but badly implemented. Raising the level cap though would be monumentally farbot.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Balsa.3951

Balsa.3951

i saw lv up only as learning curve after i reached 80th there was a chance i understand the basics of my class.

I not really have fun on lvln but i think they must give us something to raise after new maps are opening. My suggestion stay lv 80 but u need a kind of agony resistance to go into higher lv maps call it explorer Blood or New World expierence.

something what makes the mobs in new maps more chalanging without hurting lv 80 atm since its still very unbalanced all just look how crit will get nerfed.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Never.

A level cap increase would be disastrous. People would have to throw away all their gear and start over..

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Never Never Never Never and Never!!!

There is no freakin’ need of a level cap increase in this game.

As Balsa says, something that makes mops in new maps more challanging until you have got some special relic or something would work… Kinda like how ascension works in GW1.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

exactly the same moment i quit the game.

this also goes for any kind of new mechanic that will require any king of grind or time gating. only possibility for me would be hard core quest or dungeon. instanced ofc, not that zerg the boss in 10 min or fail thing.

(edited by PetricaKerempuh.7958)

Posted by: Tear.6927

Tear.6927

what if i have gotten 5 legendaries atm at lvl 80 ? Then probably i would have to re-craft them all for my lvl 90 toon. No thank you.

(edited by Tear.6927)

Posted by: godofcows.2451

godofcows.2451

guild wars 3 <3

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

First of all, I’ll admit that I like things being easy. I hate challenges. If that negates everything I say, well, ok then.

For me, levelling is easy, and fun. It’s also fun for me to see the numbers (or colours depending on the game) improve on gear. Also, if I don’t like the story, or the gameplay, well, I don’t play long. I don’t need BiS or theorycrafting for my gamestyle or fun.

So, I apologies if this offends, especially Deathmond.7328 according to his/her post above.

I’ve played EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars: The Old Republic and Marvel Heroes MMO. In all but the latter, the level has increased. In all but the latter, the forum exploded with complaints, but, my friends and family loved the level increases.

Can anyone explain, using easy words (English second language), what is the downside to you folks about level increases. Because, I’m sorry to say, for me, it just means something else fun to do, something that stopped once you hit the cap. (Sidebar = I feel the same feeling of “darn!” when I hit “best in slot” as there’s nothing left to do for that slot…)

Thank you. And, just because your reply above was intense, I’m sorry in advance Deathmond.7328. This seems to really bother you…

Levelling is bad because it brings absolutely zero enjoyment to the players. No one actually enjoy grinding for hours for an level. They do it because it is REQUIRED. They need that extra level to beat a boss and advance in the story.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

(edited by CHIPS.6018)

CHIPS.6018

@ Orpheal.8263

I don’t know where you get that face roll idea from. GW2’ scales your level down to the level of that area. So a level 80 player will become level 30 in a level 30 zone. There is no face rolling here.

Levelling bring zero benefit to the game, except to appease the MMO crowd. Even the MMO crowd will notice this fact, if they tried GW1.

This game need to be more alt friendly. Not the other way around.

(edited by CHIPS.6018)

Posted by: Tsaerid.5084

Tsaerid.5084

A raise to the level cap would only serve as a big gear wipe, which will cause a hell of a lot of players to quit, I’m all for them adding new expansion type content but keep the level and gear cap where it’s at.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Maybe they will make the top level 90 gear easy to obtain, kinda like exotic was at 80. No more ascended at 90. Would only take a couple hours to level and gear up and they can undo their huge mistake from 2012.

I’m guessing we will see a level increase when they open up a big part of land. Maybe Crystal desert or something.

CHIPS.6018

Levelling is bad because it brings absolutely zero enjoyment to the players. No one actually enjoy grinding for hours for an level. They do it because it is REQUIRED. They need that extra level to beat a boss and advance in the story.

Fair enough. Thank you for explaining. I just can’t relate. I’d never play a game that “Step 1 is a boring grind. Step 2 is where the fun is.” I guess I’m lucky that I like the levelling and gearing process. I do in most games. I am sorry you don’t enjoy it.

I do wish game companies released their numbers to put to rest the population assumptions. Kind of like Nielsen ratings where they can show TV ratings on a show on a daily basis, plus demographics (Show A ranks well with women, Show B ranks well with older people of both genders, Show C…)

They do it with TV, I don’t know why they don’t do it for games with a log-in survey. It sure would cause people like me to be less bewildered about stuff like levelling and gearing if I knew I was in the 4% (say) bracket that actually likes levelling. That or the other way around if I was in the 96% (say). Too bad games aren’t like TV ratings, at least for me…

For example, let’s say I am a fan of Street Fighters. Well, I want to turn on my PS3, run the game, pick a character, and start playing. All characters start out “maxed” level, so you don’t need to grind. You can enjoy the game right away. In fact, you can start fighting the “first boss”in the first stage right away. The action is where the fun is. If you are good with the game, you can beat the final boss.

Now imagine your character in Street Fighter starts at level 1, and the final boss is level 100. You need to grind mindless mobs for 2 months, get your character to level 100, max all his gear, before you even had a chance at the final boss.

You see, introducing levelling to Street Fighters adds absolute zero enjoyment to the game. It just delay your fun by 2 months. That’s all it did.

CHIPS.6018

Maybe they will make the top level 90 gear easy to obtain, kinda like exotic was at 80. No more ascended at 90. Would only take a couple hours to level and gear up and they can undo their huge mistake from 2012.

I’m guessing we will see a level increase when they open up a big part of land. Maybe Crystal desert or something.

Sounds like a car selling scam.

“Oh its only $50 a day, for the next 5 years!”

I will pass. ^^

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

It would be a monumental mistake of mind-blowing proportions.

I’d say some time next year, at the end of LS Season 2.

Heh heh… okay, okay. Not really. What I expect is some kind of “secondary” levels, most likely tied to some kind of sub-class system. I expect that you can assign your EXP to go to those levels instead of normal levels, and these levels are slower to gain and don’t grant trait points (or grant special trait points for sub-class stuff only).

Want your Fighter to go down the Knight path? Great! Maybe at level 20 you’ll switch your EXP over and work on a level of the Knight sub-class. Maybe you’ll get to 80 and do it then. Up to you as to when you do it, but it will still take time and effort, and allow you to develop your character without adding “real” levels to the game.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

Announced in November 2015, Transcended Gear November 2014.

Posted by: Narcs.9418

Narcs.9418

The map has remained the same, the only ‘changes’ have been the from the Living Story with a new waypoint or POI added.
Regarding a level increase, It’s totally unnecessary for Anet to raise it and I would absolutely despise it if they did.

..This is not a traditional MMO and I love GW2 for that very reason.

“Never leave a wrong to ripen into evil”.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Unlikely. They’ve said they expect to do a level cap increase, while heavily implying they won’t do a new tier of gear.

As much as people don’t want a level cap increase, it would be less of a publicity stinker than adding a new tier of gear. When people complain about level cap increase, they can point back to past interviews and say that they always said there would be one eventually. When people complain about a new gear tier, they have to backtrack and make excuses.

If you were in charge, which would you choose?

Posted by: Alukah.2063

Alukah.2063

I’m perplexed with the overall responses here.

I’m kinda hoping for a level cap increase (20 levels or so?) to get rid of all these gw1 fans that still can’t get over the fact that this is not gw1.

Gibson.4036

I’m kinda hoping for a level cap increase (20 levels or so?) to get rid of all these gw1 fans that still can’t get over the fact that this is not gw1.

Honestly, I think that portion of the player base (not necessarily all GW1 fans, but the pre-launch believers, let’s call them) are subconsciously hoping for that as well.

We’re the codependents, secretly wishing that the relationship will get bad enough to motivate us to be done, rather than hanging on with unrealistic hopes that things will somehow get better.

Posted by: ArmoredVehicle.2849

ArmoredVehicle.2849

Hopefully never, it’s already a disaster as it is with the ascended mega grind.

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

Hopefully never.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

CHIPS.6018

If you want to play Grind Wars, there are already plenty of other games like that out there.

Judge Banks.9018

Unlikely. They’ve said they expect to do a level cap increase, while heavily implying they won’t do a new tier of gear.

As much as people don’t want a level cap increase, it would be less of a publicity stinker than adding a new tier of gear. When people complain about level cap increase, they can point back to past interviews and say that they always said there would be one eventually. When people complain about a new gear tier, they have to backtrack and make excuses.

Literally never happened.

Attachments:

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

FACTS!

Seemed appriopriate ^^

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Never! Never! Never!

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

So my level 80 guardian has somewhere north of 400 skill points, after spending many of them for various crafting items. If the level cap were raised, wouldn’t my lvl 80 guardian already be level 480+? Yes, he’s earned those skill points for each level earned past 80. Would my toon automatically be lvl 90 if they raised the cap to lvl 90? No, I’d bet not. Would this make ANY sense? Of course not.

If you want a toon higher than level 80, go find another MMO. As the saying goes, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

In the interview linked above, Colin says, “And I’m sure as we add expansion content we’re going to add more progression and add more levels to the game.”

I really don’t think he used the term “levels” in the manner many people think he did. He spoke of adding them “to the game”, not “to the character”. I think that makes a difference.

Posted by: Stompy.1387

Stompy.1387

80 is more than enough, thank you.

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

Can anyone explain, using easy words (English second language), what is the downside to you folks about level increases. Because, I’m sorry to say, for me, it just means something else fun to do, something that stopped once you hit the cap. (Sidebar = I feel the same feeling of “darn!” when I hit “best in slot” as there’s nothing left to do for that slot…)

I don’t think this game’s really designed to extend levels beyond 80. Most complaints would come from people who would have to re-gear their character all over again. Some players don’t like seeing their efforts of getting the ‘best slot’ go down the drain, when it gets replaced with a better slot item. Take legendaries – no matter when you start working on them, they’ll always guaranteed to be best slot items. But if the cap is raised to 90, then what happens to them?

I don’t see a reason to have cap increase, if we can equally have downleveling for new maps. If the new map released was level 50-60, no one would really care. More people would probably like it, because then they can take their alts and newbie friends over, instead of limiting all good content to high level.

Posted by: ThanatosAngel.8024

ThanatosAngel.8024

For everyone who says they will leave or quit the game when Anet raises the level cap…you might as well check out now because it’s going to happen eventually.

Unless they’ve changed their minds (and I doubt that), they’ve said before the game was released that the level cap will be raised at some point in the future. I can tell a lot of you are old GW1 players where the cap was fixed at 20, but that game wasn’t even a MMO, nor was it trying to be. It’s pretty much MMO standard to raise the level cap per expansion.

They will probably raise it by 5 levels every so often until we hit at least level 100.

Judge Banks.9018

For everyone who says they will leave or quit the game when Anet raises the level cap…you might as well check out now because it’s going to happen eventually.

Unless they’ve changed their minds (and I doubt that), they’ve said before the game was released that the level cap will be raised at some point in the future. I can tell a lot of you are old GW1 players where the cap was fixed at 20, but that game wasn’t even a MMO, nor was it trying to be. It’s pretty much MMO standard to raise the level cap per expansion.

They will probably raise it by 5 levels every so often until we hit at least level 100.

Where have you been?

http://www.mmohall.com/2014/02/11/guild-wars-lord-rings-online-wizard101-make-2014-mmo-hall-fame-class/

Posted by: Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Myst Dawnbringer.9138

They raise the level cap after I make my new ascended armor I’m going to be puppied for sure.

Posted by: linearlight.8962

linearlight.8962

Can we get a dev to confirm with us that absolutely nothing is going to happen to our character level cap?

Not difficulty level, not FOTM level;

I’m talking about the number on the right side of the exp bar.

This game should be about player’s asdw technique and skill interaction. Not gear preparation.

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

I don’t expect the level cap to ever be raised.

If it were the only time I’d expect the level cap to be increased would be when they want to completely shake up the PvP/WvW/PvE metas all at once.

Since the only reason to raise the level cap is to add more vertical progression and therefore more power to a character, something they’re not trying to do, balance would be significantly impacted. They won’t just do it more PvE only either, because they want to game to be as seamless as possible between all 3 divisions of the game.

The only time I can see this happening is with an expansion, because that’s when the game would be shaken up the most anyways. However, I still never expect to see a level cap increase.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Judge Banks.9018

Can we get a dev to confirm with us that absolutely nothing is going to happen to our character level cap?

Not difficulty level, not FOTM level;

I’m talking about the number on the right side of the exp bar.

This game should be about player’s asdw technique and skill interaction. Not gear preparation.

“ASDW” Good job not using more of your keyboard.

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

The design philosophies behind GW2 have changed during the last year or two. I wouldn’t depend on old dev quotes, one way or another.

I should be writing.

Posted by: Rynn.1324

Rynn.1324

As many others have said, hopefully never. There’s zero reason to. The only thing it would accomplish is invalidating a ton of content, gear, and builds.

[Tarnished Coast] Lizzibeth Huffles, Asuran Genius (Engineer) at Play

(edited by Rynn.1324)

Posted by: Rangersix.1754

Rangersix.1754

The level cap needs to go down, not up!

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

In a role-playing game, you shouldn’t have to roll those numbers. Dice were added because table-rpg needed some random factor and computation had to be made to check wether you succeed or fail.

The problem with CRPGs is that they still haven’t removed that stupid concept of levels and they still don’t have hidden the numbers. Skyrim made some progress in that regard, but the innovative (ahem) Guild Wars 2 still shows you some stats. Ideally, if you have numbers, you should have all the numbers, that means the Hit Points and complete abilities of each mob so you can play accordingly, but no. Secrecy is the master, because numbers are all that matter.

Remove the numbers, focus on the story and horizontal progression and you have wonderful games. People would be lost at first, but they’d quickly adapt to that.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Posted by: Azarhiel.4579

Azarhiel.4579

@ OP :

Short Answer : I hope it will never happen as it would be betraying Guild Wars 1 fans that are playing Guild Wars 2.

In a role-playing game, you shouldn’t have to roll those numbers. Dice were added because table-rpg needed some random factor and computation had to be made to check wether you succeed or fail.

The problem with CRPGs is that they still haven’t removed that stupid concept of levels and they still don’t have hidden the numbers. Skyrim made some progress in that regard, but the innovative (ahem) Guild Wars 2 still shows you some stats. Ideally, if you have numbers, you should have all the numbers, that means the Hit Points and complete abilities of each mob so you can play accordingly, but no. Secrecy is the master, because numbers are all that matter.

Remove the numbers, focus on the story and horizontal progression and you have wonderful games. People would be lost at first, but they’d quickly adapt to that.

In the Secret World you don’t have a character level, but you still have stats on Gear and on Character.

In EvE online you don’t have a level, but you have the level of your character’s skills and the stats of the ship that you’re flying.

In RPG, stats are a component to say to you that you are efficient at one thing or say that if you do that quest you will die within a 98% probability. You will never be able to do RPG and MMORPG without giving the player an hint of his capacity to do a quest or a mission, even if the player himself is a good one.

Posted by: Elmo Benchwarmer.3025

Elmo Benchwarmer.3025

No more increase of stats, level or anything else. Bigger numbers don’t add nothing to the game.

Gibson.4036

Wow, thanks. I missed that one. Weird that they didn’t say “if” rather than “when” after Colin’s expression of his fervent hope that they would never add a new tier as long as he was around.

And, I’ll repost my answer to the OP above, because I violated the forum rules by using another forum members name in my post. So hopefully this is more compliant with the posting guidelines.

First we’ll work our way up to ascended level runes, sigils, and infusions.
Once we get there, there will be no room for ArenaNet’s gradual, vertical progression. At that point, they will announce a level cap increase. At first, there will only be Rare gear at level 90. They will carefully balance it so that level 90, Rare quality gear is only a little better than level 80 Ascended gear.

A few people will, stop playing, and write a half dozen threads on the forums in which they decry the level increase. These threads will run to several hundred posts mostly because a few apologists will continue to defend the level increase as a minor stat boost, unnecessary to play most of the game.

ArenaNet will keep consolidating those threads while occasionally reminding us that they have always said there would be a level cap increase, and that they are committed to a gradual, vertical progression. They will reassure us that everything is good, and there is no treadmill, because they will really try to never introduce a gear tier higher than Ascended.

The rage will die down to a simmer, with most of the forum community rolling their eyes that there are still people around complaining about level cap increase, when it obviously is a done deal, and doesn’t really provide that big of a power bonus. Besides, as part of the level cap increase, ArenaNet also patched the game so that level 80 Ascended gear is much easier to get, to the relief of a lot of people who still haven’t managed to fully outfit their characters.

A few months later, we will start to see the first level 90 Exotic gear introduced into the game in the form of trinkets.

This is how vertical progression works, especially since ArenaNet has committed to not producing a new tier of gear while also committing to continuing vertical progression. At some point, the only thing left is a level cap increase, something they’ve said they’ve always expected to do.

Posted by: Claudius.5381

Claudius.5381

That “boil the frog” scenario sounds terrifying realistic…

I have no problems with increasing the level cap. But I have a problem with the gear race. If ArenaNet raises the level cap and I have to regear my toons I would leave, same as I left my last MMO when my perfect character after 3 years became worthless because of the introduction of a new gear tier.

The least what they must do is uplevelling any ascended gear for free. But I would vastly prefer an introduction of secondary levels, like the wxp system. If they really must, that is.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I really hope they don’t increase the level cap.

There’s a lot of cool things that come with expansions in MMOs, but the increased level cap was never one of them.

Posted by: Alukah.2063

Alukah.2063

If you want to play Grind Wars, there are already plenty of other games like that out there.

20 levels is not a grind, you are overreacting.

Until you actually try what’s real grinding (months to reach certain level) you don’t have the right to call a level cap increase as “grinding”, specially in a game where there’s no exp curve, the exp needed to level up is always the same.

This is not guild wars 1 and this was not meant to have a level set for a lifetime, it will happen and just quit the game now if you won’t deal with it. Stay away from all MMORPGs if you don’t want to deal with level cap increase.

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Never. IMO they should lower the level cap. Leveling without crafting is such a hassle if you are working on alts.

There is no logical reason to raise the level cap. If they did raise it I wouldnt be feeling like I am getting vertical progression and feel good that I am getting stronger. I would feel like “aww god , I have to grind again”.

The world of Tyria is huge and if Anet wanted to make new zones, they could be in any level range 1-80. There is nothing wrong with making more level 80 zones, or more level 50 zones and such.

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Anyone else hoping they don’t add to the level cap just so Alukah can eat his words?

Realistically though, ANet isn’t about vertical progression. Increasing the level cap is a such A blatantly obvious carrot on a stick design cop-out that it’s pretty offensive.

People with experience gaming know that when developers add to the grind to achieve something (max level in this case) it’s the laziest way to incentivize people to offer up their money.

I have yet to view ANet as a lazy company, like some other MMO companies that aren’t getting my time or money. ANet is very proactive and on the forefront of MMO innovation, which has its pros and cons.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Gibson.4036

Increasing the level cap is a such A blatantly obvious carrot on a stick design cop-out that it’s pretty offensive.

People with experience gaming know that when developers add to the grind to achieve something (max level in this case) it’s the laziest way to incentivize people to offer up their money.

I agree with this. I don’t, however, understand how you can say:

Realistically though, ANet isn’t about vertical progression.

They’ve said they are committed to gradual vertical progression. They made it clear when they first started implementing Ascended that they plan to continue adding vertical progression. They’ve also made it clear they expect to increase the level cap at some point in the future.

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

They should have dared to do away with levels alltogether, instead of introducing them first and them removing them again with scaling.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

The real gems in gaming were all single player games, with little to no number progression (levels, stats) and instead with a lot of personal choices and story background.

When I play a game, I play it for the story, because it’s essentially like reading a great book, but the difference is that this is a book, where I, the player, get a chance to add to it!

Numbers do not add anything to a game.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain