Why GW2 just isn't working

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

When has this discussion become so totally focused on “GW2 is better than AA” (and vice versa)??

I do really like that I have tested out AA. Because AA showed me, how GW2 is really different in so many things. Things that matter to me.

Is GW2 perfect? Of course not.

Will I stop playing GW2 at some time, if there is no new content coming soon? Sorry to say, but yes.

Is there another MMO out there that I would play instead of GW2 and that I like more than GW2? Absolutely not. (not yet).

Does other people have different optinions? Yes, of course.

Greetings.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Was watching Destiny Review and it reminded me of GW2 for some reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzopWRXK_r4
Grinding, no content, insane RNG.
Perhaps it’s time for the developers to focus on sandbox MMOs instead of theme park.

I haven’t played Destiny at all, but from what I can tell, to make a legendary you rely solely on luck where we could at least make our legendaries given the dedication plus a bit of luck. As for content, I got enough content in GW2 compared to what I have seen in Destiny although the content this game offers may not be to your liking.

Legendaries in Destiny are nothing quite like legendaries in GW2. They’re….more like legendaries in Diablo.

They aren’t that rare.

GW2’s problem isn’t exactly a lack of content. If you just got into the game, then there’s more than enough content. The twofold problem is that one: most of the content is very unrewarding and two: there’s very little growth in the amount of core content it has.

i would add to the problems, very little of the content has much depth for experienced players.

I tend to think GW2 just wasn’t made for the ‘experienced’ players. The developers are barely creating enough content to satisfy the large majority that is the casual players, I don’t think they’ll ever get around to creating content for the 5%.

As for how that’s possible with a studio their size. Who the heck knows.

i think its a misnomer to think as experience players as the 5%, mario, contra, sonic, were all mainstream games, all of them are probably a lot more difficult than 90% of guild wars.
experienced doesnt mean the 5%, it means people that have gone beyond simply winning by brute force in every encounter.
Also, the game should better be able to adapt to the skill level of the player. Im sure not everyone can handle something made for the 5%, but most of the content is currently being played at like the bottom 25%s level. Is shatterer a boss that you cannot fall asleep on?
is it even possible to fail most of these events with 60+ people pressing 1?

there is a lot of gradations in difficulty, we are far from the top 5%.

basically, i dont think it would be entertaining for long if they made 5 new world bosses on the level of shatterer fights.

kitten snes streetfighter sold 6.3 million, maybe people who play games are just not as skilled as they used to be.

The 5% of this game. At this point, everyone knows that if you’re looking for challenging content, GW2 isn’t the MMO for you.

Just look at Aetherpath. That’s hardly a 5% dungeon, yet I dread to PUG that place.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

When has this discussion become so totally focused on “GW2 is better than AA” (and vice versa)??

I do really like that I have tested out AA. Because AA showed me, how GW2 is really different in so many things. Things that matter to me.

Is GW2 perfect? Of course not.

Will I stop playing GW2 at some time, if there is no new content coming soon? Sorry to say, but yes.

Is there another MMO out there that I would play instead of GW2 and that I like more than GW2? Absolutely not. (not yet).

Does other people have different optinions? Yes, of course.

Greetings.

That’s kinda the crux really. GW2 is really the only one out there that fits for some people. But it’s not a great thing really, just means other games are lackluster in comparison, lol.

I’ve been playing a good chunk of Destiny, while there is absolutely no reason to compare the 2, it does offer a good challenge and a fairly diverse way to gear and build your toon. The much smaller window of a need to gear in anything besides zerkers in this game along with the smaller lot of skills that provide enough diversity, and the trait system makes that challege a quite a bit weaker. But, Destiny is new and time will tell how long it can hold my attention.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Perhaps it’s time for the developers to focus on sandbox MMOs instead of theme park.

I haven’t played Destiny at all, but from what I can tell, to make a legendary you rely solely on luck where we could at least make our legendaries given the dedication plus a bit of luck. As for content, I got enough content in GW2 compared to what I have seen in Destiny although the content this game offers may not be to your liking.

Legendaries in Destiny are nothing quite like legendaries in GW2. They’re….more like legendaries in Diablo.

They aren’t that rare.

GW2’s problem isn’t exactly a lack of content. If you just got into the game, then there’s more than enough content. The twofold problem is that one: most of the content is very unrewarding and two: there’s very little growth in the amount of core content it has.

i would add to the problems, very little of the content has much depth for experienced players.

I tend to think GW2 just wasn’t made for the ‘experienced’ players. The developers are barely creating enough content to satisfy the large majority that is the casual players, I don’t think they’ll ever get around to creating content for the 5%.

i think its a misnomer to think as experience players as the 5%, mario, contra, sonic, were all mainstream games, all of them are probably a lot more difficult than 90% of guild wars.
experienced doesnt mean the 5%, it means people that have gone beyond simply winning by brute force in every encounter.
Also, the game should better be able to adapt to the skill level of the player. Im sure not everyone can handle something made for the 5%, but most of the content is currently being played at like the bottom 25%s level. Is shatterer a boss that you cannot fall asleep on?

basically, i dont think it would be entertaining for long if they made 5 new world bosses on the level of shatterer fights.

kitten snes streetfighter sold 6.3 million, maybe people who play games are just not as skilled as they used to be.

The 5% of this game. At this point, everyone knows that if you’re looking for challenging content, GW2 isn’t the MMO for you.

Just look at Aetherpath. That’s hardly a 5% dungeon, yet I dread to PUG that place.

So what you’re saying is that dungeon is hard enough to require an organized group? I thought that was the type of content people were asking for.

Pugging that dungeon is much harder than running it with a guild group with say voice communication. Working as intended.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

They aren’t that rare.

So what you’re saying is that dungeon is hard enough to require an organized group? I thought that was the type of content people were asking for.

Pugging that dungeon is much harder than running it with a guild group with say voice communication. Working as intended.

Essentially he is saying that gw2 population is generally way at the bottom % of gamers in being able deal with challenge.
Therefore anet makes the content that their population can handle, which he implies is extremely low.

I personally believe that gw2 players arent any less capable than other players, they like the systems and enjoy using them well, and knowing their class, its just extremely rare that game actually requires them to use these skills.
After a little while people adapt, and they tend to enjoy overcoming, or matching different challenges.

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

Essentially he is saying that gw2 population is generally way at the bottom % of gamers in being able deal with challenge.
Therefore anet makes the content that their population can handle, which he implies is extremely low.

I personally believe that gw2 players arent any less capable than other players, they like the systems and enjoy using them well, and knowing their class, its just extremely rare that game actually requires them to use these skills.
After a little while people adapt, and they tend to enjoy overcoming, or matching different challenges.

Nah, any game that strives for large playerbase has vast majority that want easy stuff, and any company thats wise will provide vast majority of such content.

If you want ultra challenging game you cant expect large playerbase. Its just how it is.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: Eszett.6950

Eszett.6950

To put it shortly, GW2 doesn’t feel rewarding.

In overall games, as the game progresses towards a final boss, you would need items designed to help you play through content. And when you beat these difficult encounters, dungeons, stages, you felt not only rewarded to beat difficult well-designed puzzles and battles, but you were also rewarded with a new piece of loot that would help you through more content, giving you access to more story, more experiences, more difficult boss encounters, etc.

And that’s where I feel GW2 is flawed. It’s not the elitism of high-geared players, or the free-way you can play your class, but on the overall experience of the game that make you say, “kitten , this is pointless”.

In PvP; I really liked the fact that the better you were and more experience you had, the prettier and shinier your armor could look. But well. That was also swept away.

Posted by: hendo.1940

hendo.1940

Anet and their (un)paid shills…

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Pretty sure running on yellows or random exotics in wvw (and the higher difficulty dungeons, let alone fractals) spells certain death for most (especially outside the zerg), but in particular for beginners/casuals who aren’t likely to undergo the horrid gold grind associated with the ascended, or even the exotics together with the meta runes.
Good thing the pvp is more-or-less a level playing field..sort of (hello recent unlucks).

Uh oh, if thats the case ascended wont help either. Thats matter of skill not gear.

What are you saying, bad players need bigger crutch (please leave casuals out of it, youre clearly talking about BAD players)

And really, with all venues you can get exotics, really, “horrible grind”? And i really think you dont understand the difference between “speed runners” and the rest. You can run dungeons just fine in rares/random exotics.

Uh oh, it was meant in view of facing an opponent of similar skill but better equipped. Anything with better skill and better gear will naturally result in a roll over.

Well you can also run a dungeon naked if your group has the benevolance to carry, as your input is likely to be negligable at best (esp if not damage-specced), which is pretty much the case in random yellows/exotics. Being a liability to the party, however, is not quite my thing. But of course, some won’t/don’t mind it, and that’s great…for them.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

munkiman.3068

They aren’t that rare.

The Aetherpath isn’t anymore rewarding than any other path. I would certainly do it if it was, if the output matched the challenge, but it doesn’t. Fractals is hit-or-miss, some of them i’ve 2 manned successfully on 10 but again, it’s a lot of the same rewards. While you “might” get an ascended chest, chance are, if your an avid PvE player, it’s not going to be the zerkers set you want anyway. It’s not like you can do anything with it either, if it’s a piece you don’t want. I mean 2.5s i guess…

I personally don’t think it’s that people can’t or don’t want to do challenging content, i think it’s that the reward for completing it and the enjoyment of completing the challenge are pretty lacking. Anet has a real problem with handing out rewards, especially with the global economy. But, if exciting/challenging content was released, with rewards that match (maybe good chance drop MawdreyII and make it worth 10g at the vendor and a much smaller chance at a BL skin?) then i think it would be at least something.

Teq upgrade and Wurm are nice additions (although the chance at rewards are rather bland), but they aren’t small group content either. Yet a lot of people do them.

munkiman.3068

Nah, any game that strives for large playerbase has vast majority that want easy stuff, and any company thats wise will provide vast majority of such content.

If you want ultra challenging game you cant expect large playerbase. Its just how it is.

The more people you strive to please, the more tend to leave after awhile and it doesn’t seem like those people would be the ones to buy stuff in the store either.

Vayne.8563

The more people you strive to please, the more tend to leave after awhile and it doesn’t seem like those people would be the ones to buy stuff in the store either.

I don’t know why you think this. A lot of the people in my guild aren’t really into challenging content, but I’m sure many if not most spend money in the cash shop. A lot of working people in my guild who buy stuff because Guild Wars 2 is their hobby. A minipet…an outfit…a convenience item (like infinite picks), even some of the toys.

Plenty of casual people put money into gems.

Posted by: Redxon.6832

Redxon.6832

So I logged back into my GW1 account yesterday, just to have a potter about for old times sake.

Did a few “solo” runs including some of the old stuff that I developed for the Ranger’s Beacon in The Jade Sea and The Deep.

Grabbed henchies and heroes and had a few bashes at dropping a froggy sceptre.

Took some folks on a guided tour of the Fissure

Went and capped a Black Widow solo – just because I could.

and then something stopped me in my tracks. I realised that I cared about my toons, felt connected to them. They had a personality and playing the game was FUN!

More than that, I could play GW1 in various styles and no part of the game world was “off limits” or restricted.

And that’s where GW2 has failed. Sure it looks pretty, but there simply isn’t the connection, my toons have no personality and the game is an un-ending grind for cosmetic skins, short term FPS “shoot and scoot” mentality and Anet wasting effort on trivial “improvements” rather than letting players PLAY in a style that suits them.

Sad that after such a short time GW2 has become a pale imitation of its predecessor.

I feel completely opposite, I love gw2 and everything about it. (I played gw1 from launch, it was my favorite game of all time) I logged on gw1 a couple weeks ago and now you couldn’t pay me to play it again.

MikaHR.1978

No, thats quite a reversed logic.

So youre saying that producing content that vast majority wont even touch is the way to go? Yeah….no

And actually, people like that spend most in cash shops. They have lot og moneyand lack of time. Opposed to other side which has a lot of time and very little money.

Uh oh, it was meant in view of facing an opponent of similar skill but better equipped. Anything with better skill and better gear will naturally result in a roll over.

Well you can also run a dungeon naked if your group has the benevolance to carry, as your input is likely to be negligable at best (esp if not damage-specced), which is pretty much the case in random yellows/exotics. Being a liability to the party, however, is not quite my thing. But of course, some won’t/don’t mind it, and that’s great…for them.

Yeah, provided all things equal, so you will have to deal with losing maybe 1/1000 encounters base on that for a few days tops (as that is ow long it takes to get full exotics IF you dont already have those when you ding 80 which is very easy to do also)

So its not certain death? Oh my. Bad players are bad players, ascended wont help, and good players do it nekkid? So what was your point really?

(edited by MikaHR.1978)

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Both games have their merit. I like being able to use skills while moving, many games don’t have that and I much prefer it. I like being able to heal myself and rez anyone. And there are other things I do like about gw2.

But other than my friend and later on the orders sidekick in my personal story, I don’t really remember many stories in gw2. I remember the quests and missions from gw1 now even though I haven’t played in a couple of years. I can’t remember what I played last month in gw2 as it seems to not be memorable to me. I honestly don’t know the reason why but the stories here just don’t seem to resonate with me.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Archache is just another Koreagrinder which people run to and come back after 1-2 months after they realize that nothing has changed in the MMO world. Let’s face it: yes GW2 lacks enough content (IMHO) a lot of content, but it does a lot of things right. It is if you check Metacritic still the best rated MMO in the past two years.

Except for TSW.

Loved that game first time through. If only it was more alt-friendly…

The table is a fable.

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

…Many GW1 fans, including myself, fell for the GuildWars title in the GuildWars 2. Hence the frustration for what could have been.

I love this quote… +1

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

KarlaGrey.5903

Yeah, provided all things equal, so you will have to deal with losing maybe 1/1000 encounters base on that for a few days tops (as that is ow long it takes to get full exotics IF you dont already have those when you ding 80 which is very easy to do also)

So its not certain death? Oh my. Bad players are bad players, ascended wont help, and good players do it nekkid? So what was your point really?

I spent the majority of my time in pvp, so no, I didn’t have any useful pieces of exotics. RNGeezus did/does not favour me either, and the game still does not have an option to obtain statistically best gear from the nearby vendor at a low cost, like the predecessor does.

Also, you completely missed my point about the nab-friendly carry group type. Which, I dare say, is as rare as the equal wvw encounter for which you pulled the metrics out of your rear side.

munkiman.3068

I don’t know why you think this. A lot of the people in my guild aren’t really into challenging content, but I’m sure many if not most spend money in the cash shop. A lot of working people in my guild who buy stuff because Guild Wars 2 is their hobby. A minipet…an outfit…a convenience item (like infinite picks), even some of the toys.

Probably the wrong wording. I meant the wider audience. Right now WvW players are literally begging for something exciting to stir up the mode. PvP definitely needs new modes to even be successful at being an e-sport. Conquest isn’t all that exciting to watch.

You mean to tell me if this game was harder overall, no one would play anymore? Most of this game is easy mode, especially at 80. So if they brought the level up throughout the game and added higher challenges with better rewards in new dungeons, most of your guild would quit?

Regardless, i think it’s too late to do that sort of revamp anyway, at least for players that already left.

MikaHR.1978

I spent the majority of my time in pvp, so no, I didn’t have any useful pieces of exotics. RNGeezus did/does not favour me either, and the game still does not have an option to obtain statistically best gear from the nearby vendor at a low cost, like the predecessor does.

Also, you completely missed my point about the nab-friendly carry group type. Which, I dare say, is as rare as the equal wvw encounter for which you pulled the metrics out of your rear side.

pvp or www. Becuse now even from spvp you get exotics, and if were talking www…..sorry, but running casually around www for few days youll get enough gold/karma/badges for full set of exotics. Sorry, but back in the day i had more karma/badges than i knew what to do with, let alone now. But one thing is certain: you DONT need to buy anything in gem store to achieve that.

Oh and sorry that you feel offended at the notion of “nab-friendly”, but my guild runs are all nab foriendly. You were saying? You choose who to play with, if you choose to play with with jerks, thats YOUR choice.

munkiman.3068

No, thats quite a reversed logic.

So youre saying that producing content that vast majority wont even touch is the way to go? Yeah….no

And actually, people like that spend most in cash shops. They have lot og moneyand lack of time. Opposed to other side which has a lot of time and very little money.

WvW is pretty popular and it’s certainly more of a challenge than PvE. It’s less rewarding too, but people still love/loved it.

Overcoming challenges is a pretty big part of gaming, that combined with fun gameplay mechanics and a good chance at decent rewards goes a long way. But if those things aren’t there, people certainly won’t invest into convenience or pretty stuff in the store, since they aren’t sticking around. It’s nigh impossible to please a large range of players, especially with a small staff. Most people i know that left, just didn’t find pressing 1 all that engaging in PvE. Anets answer to this stuff so far (the stuff the added, like champ boxes) is pretty puzzling until you think about how inexpensive it probably was to implement as opposed to making creative, rewarding content and i’m not even talking just about dungeons.

(edited by munkiman.3068)

Vayne.8563

Probably the wrong wording. I meant the wider audience. Right now WvW players are literally begging for something exciting to stir up the mode. PvP definitely needs new modes to even be successful at being an e-sport. Conquest isn’t all that exciting to watch.

You mean to tell me if this game was harder overall, no one would play anymore? Most of this game is easy mode, especially at 80. So if they brought the level up throughout the game and added higher challenges with better rewards in new dungeons, most of your guild would quit?

Regardless, i think it’s too late to do that sort of revamp anyway, at least for players that already left.

Okay, I’m not saying if the game was harder, no one would play it. I never even implied it. My argument is more basic.

There are X number of dev hours, and y amount of stuff to do. Any company is going to put the focus first on the higher population and give something they can to the lower population when they can.

Guild Wars 2’s biggest mistake, in my opinion, was the temporary content from Season 1. It’s not just that it’s mostly PvE content and that it wouldn’t satisfy PvPers or hard core players. It’s that if all that stuff was in there, PvE’ers wouldn’t have less to do and maybe, just maybe, Anet would have the time now to put more effort into the hard core stuff…and the PvP. And maybe dungeons.

They don’t have the time, because even though some of that new content was a blast, it’s not here now. Throw SAB, the nightmare tower and the marionette back into the game, and you have more to do.

Same with the fractals. Putting the Aetherblade dungeon and the Molten Facility in the fractals isn’t the same as having the dungeons. People who don’t want their entertainment RNG might rather just do a dungeon. Those options aren’t there. Dungeon guys can say we’ve had almost no new dungeons, because where are they? It’s not that Anet didn’t take the the time to make them. Anet put them in the game and took them out.

So now you have dungeon guys, hard core guys, PvP guys and WvW guys who all want new stuff, but so do the PvE people, who I still believe are the biggest demographic. If that stuff had stayed in the game, Anet might not be where they are now. I consider it a mistake…again my opinion.

However, it’s not and Anet has to eat that mistake. Anet is trying to rectify it now by playing catch up and it’s going slow. It doesn’t help that everytime Anet makes the changes they feel are necessary, the entire forum goes wild and begins to protest and ask for changes, all of which take time and slow down the schedule. But you know, I don’t blame people for doing it either. It just don’t help get content out faster.

At the end of the day, there’s nothing at all wrong with hard core content being added, if there’s time to do it without jeopardizing the casual playerbase. But look at what happened with the NPE. A small percentage of the last update was for new players and all we see are threads saying Anet only cares about new players.

If Anet focused now on hard core content, the risk of people who are casual leaving the game is greater, and that’s the one thing Anet doesn’t want to do right now.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Okay, I’m not saying if the game was harder, no one would play it. I never even implied it. My argument is more basic.

There are X number of dev hours, and y amount of stuff to do. Any company is going to put the focus first on the higher population and give something they can to the lower population when they can.

Guild Wars 2’s biggest mistake, in my opinion, was the temporary content from Season 1. It’s not just that it’s mostly PvE content and that it wouldn’t satisfy PvPers or hard core players. It’s that if all that stuff was in there, PvE’ers wouldn’t have less to do and maybe, just maybe, Anet would have the time now to put more effort into the hard core stuff…and the PvP. And maybe dungeons.

They don’t have the time, because even though some of that new content was a blast, it’s not here now. Throw SAB, the nightmare tower and the marionette back into the game, and you have more to do.

Same with the fractals. Putting the Aetherblade dungeon and the Molten Facility in the fractals isn’t the same as having the dungeons. People who don’t want their entertainment RNG might rather just do a dungeon. Those options aren’t there. Dungeon guys can say we’ve had almost no new dungeons, because where are they? It’s not that Anet didn’t take the the time to make them. Anet put them in the game and took them out.

So now you have dungeon guys, hard core guys, PvP guys and WvW guys who all want new stuff, but so do the PvE people, who I still believe are the biggest demographic. If that stuff had stayed in the game, Anet might not be where they are now. I consider it a mistake…again my opinion.

However, it’s not and Anet has to eat that mistake. Anet is trying to rectify it now by playing catch up and it’s going slow. It doesn’t help that everytime Anet makes the changes they feel are necessary, the entire forum goes wild and begins to protest and ask for changes, all of which take time and slow down the schedule. But you know, I don’t blame people for doing it either. It just don’t help get content out faster.

At the end of the day, there’s nothing at all wrong with hard core content being added, if there’s time to do it without jeopardizing the casual playerbase. But look at what happened with the NPE. A small percentage of the last update was for new players and all we see are threads saying Anet only cares about new players.

If Anet focused now on hard core content, the risk of people who are casual leaving the game is greater, and that’s the one thing Anet doesn’t want to do right now.

The focus of the last few updates has not been on new content, its been on QoL stuff and reworks. A lot of this QoL stuff created new QoL problems and need some reworks.

So, i wouldnt say only a fraction was for casuals, i would say you have some general things, and then some stuff for newbies.

The other thing is, you dont really need to appeal to casuals, casuals go where the game is good, They may not get as far as other people, but they are actually ok with that, because they are pretty casual. As long as you give them some joys, and things to do that they like, they will stick around.

Therefore the primary concern should be developing the best game you can deliver. Think about the most popular games, they usually are well designed, have a lot of depth, and they have/had tons of casual people playing them.
chess, basketball, football, snes games, heck people call candy crush casual, it has 1075 levels to beat, of increasing difficulty, many people cant beat them, still its popular.

Every developer needs to focus on making an actual good/fun game, instead of trying to figure out how to give people what you think they think is popular. Do you think a writer would be able to make an excellent book, if his primary concern was trying to hit all the bulletpoints for popular novels?

If you make good stuff, the casuals will love as much of it as they can. Lets be honest, i like a lot of things about the game, 1 screen in mario with the hammer bros was more thrilling than most of the later game content.

http://rigsamarole.wordpress.com/files/2009/04/hammer.gif

munkiman.3068

<<<snip for brevity>>>

Agreed. Right now, it’s such a big ship and i’m really not all that confident it’s going to be able to turn around in time before it hits the iceberg. At it’s basic level, it’s still a fun game, but i’m just not all that sure it’s going to capture my attention as much anymore. Best i can do is offer feedback for the small bits i do play, which is fine, since most of the content is geared more for the casual anyway.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

And GW2 is a wannabe b2p+invasive cash shop game.

Wow. Invasive?

I won’t weigh in on AA’s cash shop being invasive, but GW2’s is not. The only time I look at the GW2 cash shop is when I read a forum post which mentions something like the recent free items. Also, every once in a while I check the style tab. When I read patch notes, I sometimes check the Black Lion section, but usually skip it. Otherwise I play the game all I want and never even think about it.

Invasive cash shops use certain techniques, like ToR’s penchant when it first went F2P of waving a feature (like additional skill bars) in your face and saying, “You can get another skill bar if you go premium!” Or, look at FB games which have resource limits that hinder progress but can be bypassed by spending cash.

Tachenon.5270

Best i can do is offer feedback for the small bits i do play, which is fine, since most of the content is geared more for the casual anyway.

Well, it’s rather puzzling.

I figure, who is more casual than me?

I don’t go for raid-ly stuff (in any game). Closest thing would be the Task/Strike Forces in City of Heroes/City of Villains, or the occasional Special Task Force over in STO. I don’t like the GW2 dungeons (although I liked the EotN dungeons, as I could do them by myself with heroes/henchies), so I don’t do those, and I don’t do fractals or wvw or spvp, although I did take a second short-lived stab at spvp a little while ago. My guild is too small for any of the guild stuff, and I’m not about to join some large guild just for the guild stuff (shouldn’t have to, as I said back when anet first introduced it). I used to hit all three dragons, but not anymore. Megasuffer makes them insufferably laggy, and to heck with new Teq.

Mostly what I do is make new characters and either do map completions or run them through whatever story missions are available.

So I ask you: who is more casual than me?

If I’m casual, and anet is targeting casual players, they have missed the mark entirely with just about every single thing they’ve done post launch.

• this casual player did not want ascended gear.
  • this casual player did not want the guild missions (as delivered).
  • this casual player did not want the living story/temp content.
  • this casual player did not want megaserver.
  • this casual player did not want the trait system revamp.
  • this casual player did not want living story S2 with the aspect stuff that should have remained in Labyrinthine Cliffs, or the hokey pokey boss fights.
  • this casual player did not want NPE.

On the other hand, everything I do want – expansions (including Cantha and Elona and hey, why not some place on Tyria we’ve not yet seen), more (full-fledged) zones, more playable races, more professions, more (non-living) story missions (aka quests) – has been spectacularly absent. Two years in, and these things still don’t appear to be anywhere on anet’s table.

So, who is GW2 geared toward?

Because it sure ain’t me.

The table is a fable.

Vayne.8563

Best i can do is offer feedback for the small bits i do play, which is fine, since most of the content is geared more for the casual anyway.

I don’t go for raid-ly stuff (in any game). Closest thing would be the Task/Strike Forces in City of Heroes/City of Villains, or the occasional Special Task Force over in STO. I don’t like the GW2 dungeons (although I liked the EotN dungeons, as I could do them by myself with heroes/henchies), so I don’t do those, and I don’t do fractals or wvw or spvp, although I did take a second short-lived stab at spvp a little while ago. My guild is too small for any of the guild stuff, and I’m not about to join some large guild just for the guild stuff (shouldn’t have to, as I said back when anet first introduced it). I used to hit all three dragons, but not anymore. Megasuffer makes them insufferably laggy, and to heck with new Teq.

Mostly what I do is make new characters and either do map completions or run them through whatever story missions are available.

If I’m casual, and anet is targeting casual players, they have missed the mark entirely with just about every single thing they’ve done post launch.

• this casual player did not want living story S2 with the aspect stuff that should have remained in Labyrinthine Cliffs, or the hokey pokey boss fights.

On the other hand, everything I do want – expansions (including Cantha and Elona and hey, why not some place on Tyria we’ve not yet seen), more (full-fledged) zones, more playable races, more professions, more (non-living) story missions (aka quests) – has been spectacularly absent. Two years in, and these things still don’t appear to be anywhere on anet’s table.

Well isn’t that interesting. See I’m a casual player too, and it’s most definitely geared for me.

Admittedly I don’t like how the trait system was redesigned, I don’t love ascended gear (but you don’t need it to do anything casual anyway) and I think the temporary content was a mistake, but for the rest of it…

I like the collections.
I like the new crafting improvements.
I like the new zone…Dry Top is my favorite zone in the game.
I adore the mega server.
I enjoy Guild Missions (particularly puzzles and rushes)
I love the new living story stuff (which isn’t temporary anymore)
I’m really enjoying the NPE.

Seems not all casual players are going to feel the same about stuff.

Posted by: Arietta The Broken.1875

Arietta The Broken.1875

Comparing GW1 to GW2 is fun.

I mean, look at it like this. You could do FoW/DoA/UW in NM and HM with heroes and henchies. Okay its difficult. But it is 100% possible.

You can also do them with a PUG group. It is 100% possible to complete all the end game areas.

You can also have a guild/good group and complete them properly. For example, speed clear (HM speed runs) or Physway or whatever way you like.

The difference between GW1 and GW2 is that in GW1 people had a roll. You had healers and tanks and dps. This allowed instances or dungeons to be more diverse. They could be more challenging and they could be interesting.

Boss fights now is just spank. No tank and spank. Just spank. Oh you have to attack it from over here? great. Its still all attacking from 1 spot.

If we actually had tanks / emnity healers and dps there could actually be some variety. However right now, they have limited themselves to how the game can expand.

You’re dumb. You’ll die, and you’ll leave a dumb corpse.

Vayne.8563

I mean, look at it like this. You could do FoW/DoA/UW in NM and HM with heroes and henchies. Okay its difficult. But it is 100% possible.

You can also do them with a PUG group. It is 100% possible to complete all the end game areas.

You can also have a guild/good group and complete them properly. For example, speed clear (HM speed runs) or Physway or whatever way you like.

The difference between GW1 and GW2 is that in GW1 people had a roll. You had healers and tanks and dps. This allowed instances or dungeons to be more diverse. They could be more challenging and they could be interesting.

Boss fights now is just spank. No tank and spank. Just spank. Oh you have to attack it from over here? great. Its still all attacking from 1 spot.

If we actually had tanks / emnity healers and dps there could actually be some variety. However right now, they have limited themselves to how the game can expand.

I don’t think you could do those elite instances in Guild Wars 1 solo with heroes. For one thing, heroes didn’t even exist for the first two years the game was out. When they did come out, you could only take 3 with you.

I’m thinking it would be nigh on impossible to do The Deep or Urgoz’s Warren with three heroes. Henchmen couldn’t enter elite areas, and using 7 heroes wasn’t allowed until much much later in the game’s life cycle.

Tachenon.5270

Well isn’t that interesting. See I’m a casual player too, and it’s most definitely geared for me.

Admittedly I don’t like how the trait system was redesigned, I don’t love ascended gear (but you don’t need it to do anything casual anyway) and I think the temporary content was a mistake, but for the rest of it…

I like the collections.
I adore the mega server.

I think we have a different concept of ‘casual’. Have you looked at your forum profile lately?

The table is a fable.

Vayne.8563

I like the collections.
I adore the mega server.

I think we have a different concept of ‘casual’. Have you looked at your forum profile lately?

I’m casual in how I play. I’m not hard core by any means. I like to do random stuff, whatever I feel like at the moment. I tend to make lots of characters and just run around leveling them in the open world.

munkiman.3068

I’m thinking it would be nigh on impossible to do The Deep or Urgoz’s Warren with three heroes. Henchmen couldn’t enter elite areas, and using 7 heroes wasn’t allowed until much much later in the game’s life cycle.

Yeah, you could 2 man Urgoz post full parties of heros patch, but The Deep, if i remember correctly you need at least 4 players, since you have to do each pad separately or deal with a whole world of aspect pain.

Vayne.8563

Yeah, you could 2 man Urgoz post full parties of heros patch, but The Deep, if i remember correctly you need at least 4 players, since you have to do each pad separately or deal with a whole world of aspect pain.

My wife and I duoed DOA with heroes. I can’t really imagine anyone soloing it with just 3 heroes though.

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

You’re right. AA doesn’t mollycoddle you. It lets you sit in queues for 7 hours,

launch week, all of them have issues. Ever Gw2 had issues On launch. They are working on the situation correctly, they realize that the merely curious won’t stay and will be gone in a few weeks, so adding a Lot of servers is the wring way to go.

brings out packs that make the founders packs relatively obsolete,

This isn’t true. Founder’s pack included alpha server access, all closed beta access guarenteed, up to 3 months of patron status, and a BUNCH of credits you can spend anyway you wish.

The starter has Trion spending those credits for you. I’ll take Founders any day, and twice on sunday. Obsolete? Just a Bunch of whiners whining cause..whiners gotta whine.

tells you it’s a free game, but you pretty much have to subscribe to play it,

marketing. it’s a free2try unlimited duration… stripped down version of the full pay2play AA game. Complaining cause things are not available to free2play, that are granted to subscribers is Like complaining that .. some software has a Premium only for subscribers and a " Lite" for trial users.

and in 3 months, when the free players realize they can’t really play for free it’ll be owned by a few big guilds who control everything.

Pure speculation, so I won’t discuss this at all since it’s launch week

It’s a PvP game without a PvE server. I’m sure it’s going to be very successful.

It is a PvP game at it’s core, it cannot have a PvE server, Not every MMO has to have a PvE server. Any PvE player that comes to AA downloaded a game that may not be for them. Just like Gw2 is Not for players that want mounts.

Have you looked at the forums, they’re far worse than these forums at the worst and that’s on launch day. AA will do okay but it’ll be a niche game, for people who like a very specific experience. My guess is it’ll be pay to win before long.

Forum whiners. Nothing wrong with a Niche game, not every game has to appeal to everyone. And… whether it goes P2win,…Pure speculation..see above.

I really do hope Anet is working on an expansion because if it’s not, there’s going to be issues down the line.

I agree. But none has been announced.

Right now, however, Anet has little to worry about due to Archeage.

There was a time when Players that played EverQuest said the same thing about anew game called “World of Warcraft”

" SoE has little to worry about World of Warcraft, it’s EQ Lite… dumbed down, and stripped down."

Any developer that doesn’t " worry" about it’s competition, should not be running an MMO.

AA and Gw2 are competing for the same food supply. MMO players.

Know what we call a species that refuses to " worry" about a predator that eats the same thing it does?

Extinct.

All new games are “impressive”.

I like Archeage for what it is, but it’s way too backward looking/too traditional an MMO to be on even ground with GW2. The often downplayed “revolution” of GW2 mechanics make old style MMOs feel positively dated, and some elements are downright no fun (subjective, of course.)

The quality vs GW2 is not there either, but of course AA is a much smaller game in scope.

Feel free to love AA, but that doesn’t mean it must necessarily be “better” than GW2. They are beyond comparison quality wise, IMHO, and objectively too different (other than being MMOs) for it being apples vs apples.

(GW2’s launch was also TONS better, but again it’s rather unfair, because their budget and team is much smaller. The queue thing got absurd, though slightly better now.)

Posted by: Scipio.3204

Scipio.3204

My wife and I duoed DOA with heroes. I can’t really imagine anyone soloing it with just 3 heroes though.

I once completed UW with two of my friends and with kitten SF tank heroes. Best. Times. Ever. That was before dhuum though.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I don’t think you could do those elite instances in Guild Wars 1 solo with heroes. For one thing, heroes didn’t even exist for the first two years the game was out. When they did come out, you could only take 3 with you.

And you could still ‘solo’ Underworld if you really . . . REALLY . . . knew what you were doing. Though, Assassins had an easier time until the balance bat got swung . . . it got harder when Dhuum was added, but most people I know who ‘solo-ran’ were more interested in squeezing Ectos out.

Urgoz’s is hard since there’s the required Necrotic Traversal point. The Deep I didn’t do as much but I suspect there’s also a point where you do ‘need’ to have another meat person on the matter.

Domain of Anguish though . . .

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: notorious bob.2061

notorious bob.2061

I feel completely opposite, I love gw2 and everything about it. (I played gw1 from launch, it was my favorite game of all time) I logged on gw1 a couple weeks ago and now you couldn’t pay me to play it again.

Playstyle? likes and dislikes? Please elaborate.

You can “solo” and I mean solo parts of the UW and Fissure – capping a Black Widow or farming ectos and shards is perfectly doable solo.

You can also do the 1st level of The Deep with 3 henchies if you want to farm zodiac skins etc.

The thing is, with GW1 you had the option – solo, henchies, PUG, guildies.

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

We’d 3-man the deep, each man taking 3 heroes which would make the 12 total members. Was lots of fun and very doable. Honestly more enjoyable and fulfilling than anything I’ve encountered in GW2 so far. The closest is a good team in WvW, but that’s about it.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

I feel lore-wise gw2 has always lacked. Other than Tybalt, I’ve yet to care for any character in the game, including my own. And on that point you’re right, I loved the GW1 missions back in the day and yes, you really did feel connected to your character a lot more.

Still, there’s no way I could go back to GW1 after playing this game. I simply love the combat, mainly because it’s fast and there’s no trinity. Now if they would only add difficult dungeon/fractal content this game would be perfect.

So yeah, both have their pro’s and cons, but personally I feel GW2 has more replay value.

Vayne.8563

I feel lore-wise gw2 has always lacked. Other than Tybalt, I’ve yet to care for any character in the game, including my own. And on that point you’re right, I loved the GW1 missions back in the day and yes, you really did feel connected to your character a lot more.

Still, there’s no way I could go back to GW1 after playing this game. I simply love the combat, mainly because it’s fast and there’s no trinity. Now if they would only add difficult dungeon/fractal content this game would be perfect.

So yeah, both have their pro’s and cons, but personally I feel GW2 has more replay value.

I think you’re confusing lore and story. Story wise is probably what you’re talking about. Tybalt is part of the story, rather than the lore.

The lore is the background, the build up, the history. The games share history and both have great stories. In fact, much of the lore of Guild Wars 2 is the lore of Guild Wars 1.

It’s the stories that are the issue. I only clarify, because it’s important that people realize the difference so they get their message across to Anet.

Mind you it seems a lot of people do like Tiami. And I sort of like the new group, particularly Marjorie.

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

I think you’re confusing lore and story. Story wise is probably what you’re talking about. Tybalt is part of the story, rather than the lore.

The lore is the background, the build up, the history. The games share history and both have great stories. In fact, much of the lore of Guild Wars 2 is the lore of Guild Wars 1.

It’s the stories that are the issue. I only clarify, because it’s important that people realize the difference so they get their message across to Anet.

Mind you it seems a lot of people do like Tiami. And I sort of like the new group, particularly Marjorie.

I guess you’re right, although we see hardly anything of this great lore in the game I was indeed talking about story. As for characters, I’ve played far too many fractals to have any love for Rox, Broham and his infamous guardian shield push. The others aren’t that much more impressive, but it’s not like Mhenlo’s gang was worked out that much better.

As for the story itself… They may be redeeming themselves. LS season 2 still has potential. But personal story was simply terrible IMO. So stereotypical and annoying characters (yes Trahearne and Logan, I’m looking at you 2). It’s nothing compared to GW1 though, especially prophecies had a great story. For me, bringing back things like the white mantle would go a long way.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I think the game has a lack of character connection, too. Whether it is PSO/PSU, RS, City of Heroes, or even an old flash game (Adventurequest), I always felt an attachment to the toons I made. But for GW2 and DCUO, this wasn’t the case. I’ll focus mostly on GW2, but the flaws tend to apply to both.

#1: The combat is somewhat homogeneous. Though each class has different tricks, the entire goal and pacing of the fight feels extremely similar. Granted, the higher octane active combat of GW2 blows most other MMOs out of the water, but instead of diversity in play it is more like changing which color of racket being used in a game of tennis.

#2: The story has an inverse-tree diagram. All of the variety in the story is at the lower levels, but it all culminates into defeating Zhaitan. This is important, since diverging or expanding stories allow a character to grow in their own way. Converging stories is more like giving implied ability to your NPC while they go off doing the same thing you’ve done before.

#3: Inter-class diversity is incredibly small. When I play as any class, I am effectively interchangeable with everyone else of the same class, as well as everyone else in other classes as well. The gameplay is all about high damage and active defenses, and once anyone has those two things down, they become faceless cogs in the system. Even if I try to force class diversity (hah, I’ll use a mace instead of a sword!), it doesn’t amount to any meaningful impact on play. When I play GW2, I feel invisible.

#4: Appearances are also bland. Medium tier armor is a sea of trenchcoats, heavy armor sets are mostly plates with different patterns, and light armor, while being the most diverse, is still mostly robes. While I can change the size, color scheme, and texture of my curtains to countless different combinations, I can’t overlook that I’m still just choosing curtains. When I go to any overworld event, I know for a fact that I do not stand out, no one else stands out, and there’s nothing I could do to change this fact.

These two combine to form a deadly duo. In GW2, I am engineer #13597, who wears the millionths human female skin they’ve seen this month with no adequately distinguishing features. This is not something I want to be: I want to be notable on the field, not just famous as being that guy on the forums who hates skipping.

#5: The amount of investment that actually goes into any character is quite small. Now, normally this isn’t a problem in itself, but when you are lacking other notably identifying features, the potato-chip style character creation stokes the flames.

#6: To maximize visual perception against all of action-combat based stuff, I have to keep my camera zoomed out to see things. Because of this, I don’t get much of a good view on my own toon.

And this is why I’m not playing the game anymore. I don’t care about my toons, and I don’t care about the story, so the only thing that was tying me down was the gameplay, which I inevitably got bored of. About the only thing keeping me around is the fear that I might want to play GW2 in the future and if I don’t occasionally log in to get the story steps I’ll just come back to find a gigantic pay wall staring me in the face.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

(edited by Blood Red Arachnid.2493)

Vayne.8563

I guess you’re right, although we see hardly anything of this great lore in the game I was indeed talking about story. As for characters, I’ve played far too many fractals to have any love for Rox, Broham and his infamous guardian shield push. The others aren’t that much more impressive, but it’s not like Mhenlo’s gang was worked out that much better.

As for the story itself… They may be redeeming themselves. LS season 2 still has potential. But personal story was simply terrible IMO. So stereotypical and annoying characters (yes Trahearne and Logan, I’m looking at you 2). It’s nothing compared to GW1 though, especially prophecies had a great story. For me, bringing back things like the white mantle would go a long way.

I’ve said this before. One of the reasons the story felt better in Guild Wars 1 had to do with the game being instanced and linear. It’s very easy to tell a linear story.

It’s much harder in a game where you can go anywhere.

I mean you go into an instance in Guild Wars 1 after doing a quest, and Menhlo can be waiting there for you and your friends. How would that work in an open world game. He can’t be there for every party. There’d be 50 of him waking around.

Story telling is always easier in a linear game, without an open world.

The very nature of Guild Wars 2 makes it harder to tell stories.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

GW2 has one of least invasive cash shop in industry and no sub. It goes as far as lot of people complain theres “really nothing of interest in cash shop, just fluff”.

Gw2 is subtly invasive so subtle that most people overlook how invasive it actually is. Someone could write an article analysing the systems and how successful it has been for anet whilst all the while screwing players over as much as other f2p games.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Vayne.8563

GW2 has one of least invasive cash shop in industry and no sub. It goes as far as lot of people complain theres “really nothing of interest in cash shop, just fluff”.

Gw2 is subtly invasive so subtle that most people overlook how invasive it actually is. Someone could write an article analysing the systems and how successful it has been for anet whilst all the while screwing players over as much as other f2p games.

The word subtle and invasive or actually quite opposite. That’s what’s called an oxymoron. If it’s subtle, it’s not invasive. That’s the difference between the words.

KarlaGrey.5903

pvp or www. Becuse now even from spvp you get exotics, and if were talking www…..sorry, but running casually around www for few days youll get enough gold/karma/badges for full set of exotics. Sorry, but back in the day i had more karma/badges than i knew what to do with, let alone now. But one thing is certain: you DONT need to buy anything in gem store to achieve that.

Idc what you can get NOW. When I played, you could get very little, and as for wvw…
running around casually in a ZERG is most definitely not the playstyle I will ever lower myself to, nor something I can even begin to associate with pvp. If you wanna ‘run around casually’ solo or perhaps duo as an undergeared condi necro you will not be getting very far.
You most certainly don’t need to buy anything – you can simply choose to not play instead, because the alternatives typically involve the type of grind that is likely to elicit frustration and boredom.

Oh and sorry that you feel offended at the notion of “nab-friendly”, but my guild runs are all nab foriendly. You were saying? You choose who to play with, if you choose to play with with jerks, thats YOUR choice.

Feel offended? Perhaps you should work more on your reading comprehension, because it leaves much to be desired. Unless it’s the fanboy PoV that’s affecting your ‘judgement’.
My guild runs were also ‘nab friendly’ (as in, we’d take anyone along if we’d dabble in pve), point being? I said I don’t WANT to be a liability, not that there’s no one who wants to carry undergeared players. You should honestly consider asking someone to explain to you what the posts you’re replying to actually mean, or try to convey.

@ Arachnid, +1 ad infinitum, I couldn’t have agreed more.

Word. Sheep getting sheared without as much as realizing it.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

The word subtle and invasive or actually quite opposite. That’s what’s called an oxymoron. If it’s subtle, it’s not invasive. That’s the difference between the words.

Invasive: “tending to spread very quickly and undesirably or harmfully.” I disagree that this spread or permeation can’t be subtle.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

How did I miss this thread?

Anyway – I miss GW1 too – I miss it because it was (at least to me) captivating and fun.

I miss running around with henchies doing silly things. I miss proper loot. I miss discovering the lore and story of the world around me.

I miss there being some difficulty or challenge to the things I did.
I miss a lot of things about the game.

Sadly GW2 isn’t a “true” successor to GW1 – it was never meant to be. There are many ways in which they could bring the two games closer but ultimately you can’t make one into the other.

Plus I also realize I was very different as a player back then and things that were challenging at that time might not be now. And I also realize there’s a lot of nostalgia looking back – people, places – stuff that meant something.

Still I feel I was more connected to my characters in GW1 than GW2.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Invasive: “tending to spread very quickly and undesirably or harmfully.” I disagree that this spread or permeation can’t be subtle.

OK, how is the GW2 cash shop invasive? I see people making claims like this, but they don’t ever say what they mean beyond using general pejoratives. Spell it out if you want the issue to be discussed. If you don’t, then I’m going to conclude that you all haven’t a clue what you’re talking about.

Posted by: Veteran Oakheart.4035

Veteran Oakheart.4035

We lost the Monks somewhere between 2005 and 2014, can’t remember when and why, but at the time i could heal people that where getting killed due to spike damage (something we lost too it seems). Makes me sad ….

Spirit Spammer Joe – Legend x2 (S1) ~ GW 2005-2007 best gaming experience~
www.youtube.com/user/stephnbf
www.twitch.tv/veteran_oakheart