Would you buy an expansion?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Masaki.2153

Masaki.2153

Nope, they lost me when they announced new gear would be added AFTER the game was released, despite their previous promises that this wouldn’t be the case. Their cash shop tactics are pretty sinister as well.

In fact, I wont be buying any game that profits NC Soft after this. Cash shops should be about value, not a scam.

This.

I seriously just don’t understand how people don’t see what NC soft is doing exploiting
the desire for a legendary, while nerfing drops and selling gems to gold.

It’s sure easy enough to defend on Anets part to make money and that’s fine by me but they have milked all the fun out of every other aspect of the game fine tunning the scam legendarys are.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Yes they have more content for the money then most mmorpgs and non mmorpgs. I have a feeling most of the ppl who are saying “no” are going to get the expansion too. Mark there names and lets just see when things are more then just pointless talk.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Hawkmoon.5849

Hawkmoon.5849

As the game stands now? No, I would not consider buying any kind of expansion. There are far too many features missing from the game right now, common sense features that shouldn’t need an “expansion” to be delivered to the players.

For those of you asking, “what common sense features?” I submit:

Guild Halls, meaningful PvP (this would include ladders and actual structure), a LFG tool (in-game, not on a 3rd party website), useful guild management tools…. I could go on for what feels like days.

There are many aspects of GW1 that worked well and should have been carried over, not abandoned. Alliances? Worked great- now, we get a guild system that actually makes guild loyalty a joke. How about a gripping story? Because let’s be honest: you playing as Trahearne’s sidekick and taking the story focus away from the player, placing it on an NPC… fail move.

And for kitten’s sake, could we get some combat variety? press 1, dodge, press 2, dodge, press 4, then 3, then dodge… every class is DPS- it’s simply a matter of what animation I want to see when I press said key that determines what class I roll. there’s no support, no dedicated healers (probably the biggest disappointment IMO), no real boss mechanics.

Loot tables are a disaster right now…unless you ask ANet, and then it’s all in our heads.

Again, the list could go on. Point being, why would I pay a company so I could be even more frustrated with the product I already have? Same reason why I refuse to spend money in the Gem Store. I’d happily throw money at a good game: hell, I did it for over a year with Rift- paid my subscription and bought extra fluff too. At this rate, I’ll probably be headed back that way soon.

Hope is the carrot dangled before the draft horse that plods along in the vain attempt to reach it

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

Yes I will preorder it.

[SFD] – Maguuma

Posted by: Urthona.3198

Urthona.3198

I’m torn. There are a lot of things I really like that I feel are worth supporting. A non-mana based combat system. Gender-neutral armor on some races. Portrayal of same-sex relationships. . . not even Bioware had the guts to do that.

On the other hand, there are some really negative things. There is no excuse not to have a LFG tool in 2012. And the fact that the game’s ultimate goal (a legendary) is just gold-farming rather than skill-based content really puts me off. And to top it off, they then discourage the required farming by putting in DR!

I’m glad I don’t actually have to decide right now, because it would be tough. I have a feeling things will be clearer one way or the other once it’s actually time for an expansion.

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

Yes, even with its problems GW2 is the only mmo worth playing.

Posted by: Dimittri.3245

Dimittri.3245

Yes, I’m totally waiting for new content! I love GW2!!!!!!

~Sanctum of Rall~

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

I personally don’t enjoy a whole lot about this game as it is now, but I’ll buy all the expansions unless something major happens that would make me think otherwise. I have hopes that ANet over time will mold this game into something great, they just need time.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

It depends on the expansion content.

Will there be content that requires guilds?
How will existing content be expanded?
How much iteration is going on?

Honestly I’m very sceptical of ANet. People here give them too much credit because of Guild Wars 1. But imo what they have done or better not done since release of the game is a pretty poor track record. Everything except for the holiday events has been either poorly conceived or poorly implemented and takes months to fix.

Posted by: CaptainCanada.5374

CaptainCanada.5374

Not if it came out today. The game is too new still and that just wouldn’t be right.

Leader of Voodoó [ôïô]

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

If the expansion is similar to WoW expansions in that it increases the level cap, introduces new gear stats to grind for and basically makes all current content outdated and pointless to run: No. I will pass on the expansion and quietly retire my character.

If the expansion is similar to GW1 expansions in that the level cap remains the same, only new gear styles are implemented (thus leaving gear stats where they are) and all previous content remains as viable a playing option as it is now (or moreso, since the only real viable playstyle at the moment is instance grinding): Absolutely. I bought a Guild Wars game, not a WoW game, I will happily buy more Guild Wars content when it releases.

Posted by: CaptainCanada.5374

CaptainCanada.5374

And for kitten’s sake, could we get some combat variety? press 1, dodge, press 2, dodge, press 4, then 3, then dodge… every class is DPS- it’s simply a matter of what animation I want to see when I press said key that determines what class I roll. there’s no support, no dedicated healers (probably the biggest disappointment IMO), no real boss mechanics.

Dude, lets not start this again. It’s not a trinity game. Get over it or go play something else.

Leader of Voodoó [ôïô]

Posted by: JaironKalach.4938

JaironKalach.4938

If the expansion is similar to WoW expansions in that it increases the level cap, introduces new gear stats to grind for and basically makes all current content outdated and pointless to run: No. I will pass on the expansion and quietly retire my character.

If the expansion is similar to GW1 expansions in that the level cap remains the same, only new gear styles are implemented (thus leaving gear stats where they are) and all previous content remains as viable a playing option as it is now (or moreso, since the only real viable playstyle at the moment is instance grinding): Absolutely. I bought a Guild Wars game, not a WoW game, I will happily buy more Guild Wars content when it releases.

Whether there will be gating and obsolescence or not, I don’t know. But I know they’ve already promised level cap increases with expansion, as far back as 2011.

Vertical Progression Promise
Vertical Progression Promise 2
(Search for Expansion)

I play on Maguuma
Uru Kalach (80-War)/Kalthin Leafletter (80-Rgr)/Kalfun Gai (72-Guardian)
Leader – An Unexpected Kinship (AUK)

Posted by: Lord Kreegan.8123

Lord Kreegan.8123

When the original game gets out of beta, let me know… Then we can talk expansion.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Whether there will be gating and obsolescence or not, I don’t know. But I know they’ve already promised level cap increases with expansion, as far back as 2011.

Vertical Progression Promise
Vertical Progression Promise 2
(Search for Expansion)

It’s quite an assumption to make on my part, but it seems highly unlikely that they will increase our level cap and still have us running around in the same gear… meaning new, stronger gear. Also meaning all our current gear will become outdated. Which means anything that drops our current gear would be outdated. Which meeeaaaaaaanss… WoW style expansion > GW1 style expansion.

Still, I suppose that’s the natural progression of any MMO. Everyone wants to follow in the footsteps of the giant.

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

It’s NOT that good a game, l don’t care what you say there’s nothing here that’s not been done before in some way shape or form

Buy an expansion, maybe, depends, l want content, not silly dungeons or fractal things, a Ranger that works, it depends how much more they nerf drops, how much more gold they screw out of us that we had to grind for.

I have to say it’s not looking good at the moment.

GW1 brilliant, no cash shop, no getting turned over, GW2 seems like a hard business make money model.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: Singh.8206

Singh.8206

Not if they don’t fix the economy, drop rates, remove the gear treadmill and give us a proper automated lfg tool.
If they fix all this, I’ll buy it.

Nicely said!

Posted by: lothefallen.7081

lothefallen.7081

Only if i felt like it addressed the fundamental issues in the game and added more skills, more elites, more PvP modes, Cantha, Tengu, more gear, etc.

The Ardent Aegis
http://aa-guild.shivtr.com/

Posted by: Crome.5316

Crome.5316

I would buy an expansion as long it is Guild Wars and nothing like a C&C Twilight.
If it would be a Cantha/Factions based expansion I would by a collectors edition.^^

Posted by: Hawkmoon.5849

Hawkmoon.5849

Dude, lets not start this again. It’s not a trinity game. Get over it or go play something else.

Trinity? Hell, I’d settle for some DEPTH in combat… or the story… or… nevermind.

Hope is the carrot dangled before the draft horse that plods along in the vain attempt to reach it

Posted by: Thundersteel.6591

Thundersteel.6591

You bet I would.

I’ve really been enjoying GW2, is it perfect ? No. But it is a lot of fun.

Posted by: Grunties.6841

Grunties.6841

Expanded bugs? No, they need to master some basics.

Posted by: Reaver.9256

Reaver.9256

In a second! Can’t wait for all the new exciting things coming down the road! Amazing game…..

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

I almost certainly won’t. A few months or years down the line, when I see them giving up on incrementally releasing better gear(a.k.a treadmilling), vertical progression, and if they made acquiring BiS gear easy enough for me to not worry about it, I’ll consider it.

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

If they go forwards with forcing us to run dungeons in order to get BiS gear, then I’m pretty much done with the game because, with all due respect to the devs who tried to make a different MMO, I don’t like how they did the dungeons and I don’t want to be forced into one to progress my character.

But if, on the other hand, they make ascended gear obtainable through events, karma or crafting, then I’m going to have a lot of things to do and I’ll buy the expansion in a heartbeat. The last AMA suggested that they’d do it so I’m holding my breath until then.

PS: It’s not a do-what-I-want-or-I-quit pseudo-threat there just isn’t anything for me in a dungeon-focused GW2 unless dungeons change radically.

Posted by: TheUndefined.1720

TheUndefined.1720

This is a great question, and seeing as how my personal experience with GW1 was more positive on their expansions than the base release of the game… absolutely!

I’m actually expecting the game to really come into its own with the expansion, and kinda waiting on the expansion before I completely write off my experience with GW2.

Really excited for it, and I hope it comes out sooner than later.

Posted by: dimgl.4786

dimgl.4786

No… Not until they fix many issues with the game.

Posted by: dimgl.4786

dimgl.4786

Expanded bugs? No, they need to master some basics.

I agree. Some design choices are freaking horrid.

Posted by: phlemhacker.1372

phlemhacker.1372

I would definitely buy an expansion. Though to be honest, I almost want to see another expansion for Guild Wars 1 more.

Posted by: Ryltair.2857

Ryltair.2857

Probably 12 copies of an expansion. I support this company ankittenhoroughly enjoying GW2.

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

I hope they make Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2 expansions.

Posted by: Jabronee.9465

Jabronee.9465

For me it all depends on January & February patch/updates.
Couple of New Quality MMOs coming out in 2013 and they cant be all bad.

Posted by: Flubble.8093

Flubble.8093

yes i would and i would buy the collector editions.

Posted by: Black Regent.5897

Black Regent.5897

Doubtful.

I don’t think Anet really understands MMOs and I’m finding I have the same problem with this game as I did with Guild Wars 1: once I finish leveling and the story… what’s the point of playing anymore, exactly?

Anet doesn’t seem to understand that competition lies at the heart of any successful MMO. People like to compare their accomplishments against others, but you can’t really do that with Guild Wars games. I feel like I expected a game where I could compete without having to grind dungeons and instead, like Guild Wars 1, got a game where everybody is just kind of the same level 80 gray goo unless they spent way too much time playing and managed to grind together the stuff needed to get a legendary item that 90% of other players will never even notice. And, I’m sorry, but spending 500 hours grinding out materials and money to craft a weapon is hardly “legendary”. Hmmm…. you got that snifty sword by taking out the “Lich King”, leader of the army of undead and master of magic and swordsmanship on an icy precipice with your sworn guildmates in a fight for your life? Yea well… I uh… walked around a desert and killed a bajillion undead one at a time picking rags and money off their brittle corpses until my thumbs hurt. It was uh… pretty epic… er… uh… yea…. LOOK IT GLOWS!

I’m not keen on dungeon grinding in MMOs, but if you’re going to remove that, you need to put something else in place or give people multiple paths to accomplishment. I feel like at level 80… what’s the point of playing, exactly? I’ve killed three “epic” dragons over and over for almost literally nothing in return. It doesn’t feel “epic” when you just zerg the stupid things for five minutes then get the same crap stuff you could get doing the first phase of Plinx.

I dunno… I think I’m done buying Anet games in general unless they release some single player stuff. They have good ideas that play great for the first 40 hours or so, but I have a hard time understanding what the point of the Guild Wars games is once you hit the level cap and finish the story.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Probably yes.

I don’t commit to buying anything before I know at least roughly what I’m getting. Even when my favourite band who I once flew 6,000 miles to see live announce a new album I think I’ll almost certainly get it and wait for a chance to hear at least some of the songs before I decide for sure.

But based on the fact that I’m really enjoying GW1 so far I think it’s quite likely. Yes there are issues but most of the things people seem to think are game-breaking bugs/missing features are more like minor annoyances to me, especially when they’ve already said they’re working on things like a LFG feature and guild halls.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Only if they remove DR and give more skill customization, add a dedicated healer option

In reality: No.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: RiWiJo.7502

RiWiJo.7502

This is one of the most enjoyable games I have played in awhile—I mostly play WvWvW. I would definitely buy a major upgrade, especially if it were WvWvW.

Posted by: karma.8763

karma.8763

I would as soon as i was able to.

Posted by: SuperSpicyCurry.2415

SuperSpicyCurry.2415

Yep, I’m very happy with the game right now so I wouldn’t mind paying for an expansion.

Posted by: sonicsix.5713

sonicsix.5713

Doubtful. I haven’t logged a full hour total in December. This is what happens when a game company tries to force you to play a way you do not prefer… this player simply stops playing.

Posted by: Druss.6917

Druss.6917

Yes, even though the game has some problems, I do have faith in this company. I’ve been their customer from the very beginning and I’ll stick out the rough spots too. So once a new separate expansion comes up for purchase I’ll be all over it.

“Come to me and die you stinking whoresons. For I am Druss, and This is Death!”

Posted by: kiba.2768

kiba.2768

yes. i truly support anet in all their endeavors with the gw franchise. the game is an evolving masterpiece.

yes it has bugs, but so did every game i’ve ever played

Posted by: forrae.6708

forrae.6708

probably. i guess. i mean, its better than just going stagnant and all. something to do.

thugged out since cubscouts

Posted by: Melanis.8309

Melanis.8309

yes! but anet must fix A LOT of bugs first!

Posted by: Gisei.5749

Gisei.5749

I already have the money set aside. As a person who is bad with money, and in college, I gotta hide it from myself early, or it could get spent. I’d be devastated if expansion time came around and I was broke.

~Sorrow’s Furnace~
Guardian

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Of course I will – and my guess is 95% of the people saying no in this thread will to when the time comes.

Posted by: Rapid.7451

Rapid.7451

I would buy if the expansion contains better PvP, rewards and guild stuff. This company doesn’t listen to the customers that are making all this possible, not to mention that they scam us, why would I pay for more content unless they start to listen to us?

Posted by: Toxica.6749

Toxica.6749

I couldn’t think of anything worse than a whole heap of new grind with the DR and worst droprates in industry.

By 2013 I think its more likely that my hard earned will go to TESO.
One thing is certain, after the experience of this game I’ll never touch another NCSoft product as long as I live.

Posted by: Genesis.5169

Genesis.5169

If it can bring in small scale pvp yes.
If it can bring an Spvp where you can bring your gear yes.
If it makes WvW more rewarding yes.
If it fixes the 400million bugs in the game yes.
If it gets a little bit away from omg i look so cool yes.

These forums are a joke its not for opinions or debate its just a safe place for people to cry at.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

i want to use new weapons, have tones of new skills and none sucky dungeons, so, yes.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.