Would you buy an expansion?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Avatar.1923

I will(if they start to add Roleplay instead of Themepark-Content)

i dont see them going in that direction.
mostly all the new content thus far is about childish bling and total thempark stuff.
totally killing the world’s vibe.
making it like… a themepark.

Posted by: Wagnard.4027

Wagnard.4027

With the current direction of this game. The answer at this moment is no.

Posted by: Oldbugga.7029

Oldbugga.7029

To me the game is improving slowly.

That in itself is not the issue for me. It is the honesty, integrity and openness of the communication from the devs and ANet generally that has overhyped various aspects of the game and led/misled to player disappointment. They seem to be improving and I will hold back any decision on getting any expansion to see just how far they reform their communication culture.

Posted by: CrusaderRabbit.7460

CrusaderRabbit.7460

As the game stands now? No, I would not consider buying any kind of expansion. There are far too many features missing from the game right now, common sense features that shouldn’t need an “expansion” to be delivered to the players.

For those of you asking, “what common sense features?” I submit:

Guild Halls, meaningful PvP (this would include ladders and actual structure), a LFG tool (in-game, not on a 3rd party website), useful guild management tools…. I could go on for what feels like days.

There are many aspects of GW1 that worked well and should have been carried over, not abandoned. Alliances? Worked great- now, we get a guild system that actually makes guild loyalty a joke. How about a gripping story? Because let’s be honest: you playing as Trahearne’s sidekick and taking the story focus away from the player, placing it on an NPC… fail move.

And for kitten’s sake, could we get some combat variety? press 1, dodge, press 2, dodge, press 4, then 3, then dodge… every class is DPS- it’s simply a matter of what animation I want to see when I press said key that determines what class I roll. there’s no support, no dedicated healers (probably the biggest disappointment IMO), no real boss mechanics.

Loot tables are a disaster right now…unless you ask ANet, and then it’s all in our heads.

Again, the list could go on. Point being, why would I pay a company so I could be even more frustrated with the product I already have? Same reason why I refuse to spend money in the Gem Store. I’d happily throw money at a good game: hell, I did it for over a year with Rift- paid my subscription and bought extra fluff too. At this rate, I’ll probably be headed back that way soon.

Not only do I agree with you but I would like to add to this.

They really destroyed the whole environment of GW with this game.

They reduced the amount of people in a party from 8 to 5 and reduced the roles to everyone the same. This went from having a LOTR style quest to destroy the ring with a menagerie of skilled heroes, toooooooo….killing stuff with the guys. The roles were the most important part because it promoted unity and working together. (I really never minded the (lfg 2m SIN only) type of messages. I never had trouble finding a group or getting my guild involved.

That brings me to guilds. Guilds now are a travesty to any organized multi-user game. ESPECIALLY to the administrators of guilds. Lets take away the fact that guilds are hemorrhaging members due to Anet fixing things by dropping the loot drops, producing unplayable content, or just not sticking to what they had said they were making before the game. There is no way to tell who is inactive except by screenshotting your guild list regularly, there is no way to tell who is guesting and who has moved to another server (server specific guilds don’t benefit from moves), no real organization to the “logs” really and the retention period for the messages is crazy low. There is also absolutely no benefit to having guild loyalty OR a lot of the upgrades you can get such as guild armorer. Now that the ascended backs came out there is no reason to have a guild backpack. Also no efficient way to communicate to your guild except a SHORT message of the day (or of course 3rd party options like TS3 and forums). Finally there is no GvG or similar guild competition. There is sPvP (get to that next) or WvW but no mid-ranged Guild Battling system.

sPvP- keep releasing new maps and everything like that. It’s ok, nobody will still play sPvP until you make the lobby more usable with the ability to select teams, private rooms, etc. Anet keeps saying they are improving sPvP. I don’t see it

I wholeheartedly agree about your story complaints. Guild Wars, you LIVED the story. You saw progression through the story. I really kind of miss GW instances because it was a part of the story. Here, there is no reason to party up for story quests. My first character soloed all of them (sometimes painfully) and the story was so boring and uneventful I skipped through it.

Anet wants us to just get things as we play the game progressively. But there are so many money sinks and so little progression, obtaining something is nigh impossible except doing fractals.

Fractals is not casual friendly no matter how many times Anet says it. 3 dungeons back to back that you have to complete all three then and there to advance? That would work if you had a system like 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 where the .x was a placeholder for the last time you were there.

Just a few things on my mind about all this. But my answer is no. Anet gets no money from me anymore

Posted by: Crome.5316

Crome.5316

Well, the only expansion I would buy got cancelled.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/How-is-getting-rid-of-Cantha-a-universal-representation-of-humanity/page/2#post1385108
I´m missing Cantha in GW2 so hard that I have started playing GW1 again instead of GW2.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Almost definitely. Unless something goes drastically wrong between now and then. So far, I’m having fun with the game, but it needs work. Hopefully most of that work will be done long before an expansion comes out.

Posted by: Unknown.2796

Unknown.2796

Only if they make it available in the gem-store for less than 400 gems.
Adding maps and DE’s I will probably never visit isn’t worth my money.

Location, location, location.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

why do a necro act on this post?

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Most likely.

My wish is that they release campaign and expansions like they did with original Guild Wars.

You were max level all the time, but still there were a lot of things to do on the new continents, even if you couldn’t level anymore.

But also, they introduced new professions as well with each new campaign.

I just hope, that they will NOT add more levels.

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

Absolutely, I still love the game and would love to see an expansion worth of material added. I doubt we’ll see one this year, but the living story adds new stuff every month or so, so that’ll tide me over until then.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Probably not at this point, gameplay is great and all, but I’m already sick of RNGWars 2. Put a real monetary system that doesn’t cheat your players on a daily basis then we’ll talk.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I’m hoping that with the vast majority of replies in this thread gearing towards “I hope they don’t raise the level req”, Anet will reconsider their stance on that.

Posted by: kishter.9578

kishter.9578

only if anet return to management the game. in the current state no. gw2 is dis-railing to a full Korean type game. i miss our Occident type.
GW1 will be the only thing i will remember this franchises.

We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that.

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

yep. Good value for my dollar so far.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

Probably Not. The game is fun and has good base. But I have pretty much lost faith that Anet will change the things I don’t like. So while I kill time here, this isn’t the game for me.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

Posted by: Aldain.2380

Aldain.2380

Sure i am up for it..

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Yup I would, especially if they add more level.

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

if the expansion is good, ill.
no if it sucks

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

Yes. Even if it sucked.

Posted by: Assyrian.4827

Assyrian.4827

Yeah I’d buy a GW1 expansion.

nice, nayru

add me to that list too*

Me 2

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

/pats pocket
Got my money ready right here, folks.

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Probably. Can’t really see ArenaNet blowing it that hard, and there are a few things I’d pay for even if they did…

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: Sythus.2396

Sythus.2396

I wouldn’t even think twice about it. The game has problems certainly, but nothing is perfect. I’m having a blast still playing and it was well worth my money. So, yes, I’d buy an expansion.

Posted by: Sky.7610

Sky.7610

Only if it can be bought through the gem store.

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

Would you buy the next expansion? Why or why not.

No way.

Why should a buy more gambling, more RNG, more autoattack-semi afk “world events”, more facerollable contents and more vertical progression?

And by the time ANet will throw out an expansion, Elder Scrolls Online and Wildstar well be already released and at least for me, GW2 will be long forgotten…

Posted by: Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Depends. There are still many fundamental issues, balancing, bugs, features, and glitches that have yet to be added, fixed, or removed in the current game. Until those are addressed, I won’t be buying an expansion. If these problems are resolved, then I’d most definitely buy an expansion. The ball is in ArenaNet’s court now.

Signed,

~ A 7 year veteran of GW1 who faithfully bought every expansion on release

So many souls, so little time. ~ Kraag Deadsoul

Posted by: JUN YANG.4328

JUN YANG.4328

Depends. if GW2 expansion making like the way to create like GW1 expansion( a brand new world, new class, new map) YES! i will spend another full price to buy it.

if just some stupid plug in like WOW ( adding one or two map. increase another 10 lvl, a few new weapon) NO! i won’t even spend that half original price to buy it.

and also stop play the original as well.. disappoint !

Posted by: Noviere.7309

Noviere.7309

I would buy an expansion in a heartbeat. I love the game, but want some substantial new content. The Living World stuff is fine, but it doesn’t take long to get through.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Nope…. i lost trust and the believe about this company

This is how i feel too, its not the same company that made GW1..

Its funny this thread is months old yet nothing has changed.

It’s NOT that good a game, l don’t care what you say there’s nothing here that’s not been done before in some way shape or form

Buy an expansion, maybe, depends, l want content, not silly dungeons or fractal things, a Ranger that works, it depends how much more they nerf drops, how much more gold they screw out of us that we had to grind for.

I have to say it’s not looking good at the moment.

GW1 brilliant, no cash shop, no getting turned over, GW2 seems like a hard business make money model.

Great points, you feel as i do, i doubt much will change though so my opinion above stands on how i feel..

(edited by Dante.1508)

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Yes, in a heartbeat, even with the lameness and I would do it because I like the game even with the lameness, it will get better.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

I would probably buy the expansion, because;

there would be totally new beautiful landscapes to explore
there would be new enemies to fight against
there would be cool new armour and weapons to get

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

No way.

Why should a buy more gambling, more RNG, more autoattack-semi afk “world events”, more facerollable contents and more vertical progression?

And by the time ANet will throw out an expansion, Elder Scrolls Online and Wildstar well be already released and at least for me, GW2 will be long forgotten…

I feel the same, going ESO but if it was Cantha expansion I would buy it, just to see…

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Vayne.8563

No way.

I feel the same, going ESO but if it was Cantha expansion I would buy it, just to see…

I really hope ESO doesn’t put skins in RNG chests, or a lot of people are going to be very annoyed.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

If it had playable Tengu, an expansion pack would be on the top of my ‘to buy’ list.

If no Tengu, then I’ll probably get around to buying the expansion eventually, but probably a month or something after it’s released.

Posted by: Black Teagan.9215

Black Teagan.9215

Yes I would buy an expansion, if the split the gamemodes and balance the pve thief until then.

But should the make the tengu playable were this a good bonus

I following the developing of TESO, but I think it will also overhypt from the comm like GW2, dont you think?

Caleb Ferendir
-Charr Thief-
It’s good to be bad!

(edited by Black Teagan.9215)

Posted by: Yoh.8469

Yoh.8469

Mmmm, maybe, depends what’s in the expansion vs how much it is.
And given that they already have a perfectly functional cash shop, one in which I have bought several items, mostly character slots, I just don’t really see why it would be necessary given the way they produce content.

GW1 had to do it because they didn’t really have a cash shop to speak of, not until much later in it’s life cycle after the expansions, but GW2 isn’t bound by the same model, so I’m wondering why it would be necessary.
So, maybe.

Posted by: Under Web.2497

Under Web.2497

They will have NO choice but to release an ‘expansion’ to revamp peoples interest in the game when they realise that temp content and esport are a failure.
Late 2013 or early 2014 is my prediction

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

I would, without thinking twice, I’d even pre-order a “deluxe digital” edition if there is one. This game is one of the rare MMORPG deserving my hard earned money.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

I would buy the Expansion pack, however only the first one. The next one I won’t bothered if there is no drastic changes to the game. In it’s current state, this game is not going anywhere but down. People standing in LA waiting for something to happen. WvW is more about how many players you can get onto the map and out numbered your opponents 10 to 1 and just steamrolled over them. Fractals. no matter how many justifications that you don’t really need to do Fractals to play this game, you still need to do it to get the ascended rings and stuff. So many currencies to earn. Gold, laurels, karma, dungeon tokens, WvW badges..etc. Why introduced so many currencies in the first place? No grind in this game? Fractals and the many currencies ARE Grind. People just don’t want to admit it. They keep on throwing the same “you don’t need to do it” excuse.
Anyways, there are still many others that Arenanet needs to fix, but will they fixed it before the expansion? or after?

Posted by: Torpian.9142

Torpian.9142

Absolutely not. Why? Because I’d buy two, that’s why. I have two accounts.

Wardens of Myth, Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

I laughed -
GW2 Endgame – "People standing in LA waiting for something to happen. "

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

Not without a strong emphasis on new pvp game-modes, and a real promise on updating WvW changes far more often.

GW2 isn’t the pvp game it set out to be. It came with great ideas, but rather limited implementations.

Pve seems fine, maybe I would look for the announcement of smarter boss fights.

My main worry for an expansion would be, aside these before-hand promises: how much of the profession design will be actually finished on launch?
Engineers drew me into the game to a large extend, and I feel they still haven’t made up their minds on what engineers are supposed to be…

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Just a shame to see all the liked posts on the “Not buying” list. I have to agree though on some aspects. I’ve made comments and received negative responses when I made the statement that GW2 was going in the wrong direction, everything that GW1 had to offer and was built upon, GW2 steered away from. I try to have faith in the company that once made me proud though. I know there are great designers, developers, lore writers, etc that are very passionate and great at what they do. As with any company/game, the bigger they get, the harder it is to keep the original style.

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

There are other promising games being (Been) released shortly, so many of us may already be gone by the time any paid for GW2 expansion is released.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Vayne.8563

There are other promising games being (Been) released shortly, so many of us may already be gone by the time any paid for GW2 expansion is released.

This was once a “promising game” too. Some of us have patience, because we know MMO development takes years. Not days, not weeks, not months.

The rest of you can jump ship and jump ship and jump ship till the soles of your feet hurt, but what you’ll end up with in any new MMO today is more of what you have here, but less polished, because it’ll be new and it will take years for them to get it working.

An established MMO is going to have some advantage over a new one after the shine wears off. And if you think that other MMOs will launch with a less “greedy” cash shop, well…off you go then. Will you have the grace to return if you’re wrong?

Take a look at Neverwinter, which people seemed do enjoy. Due to a duplication exploit, they had to close the servers completely today and roll back the game 7 hours. Half the forum is ready to leave. And yes, I know the game is in “beta”. except that they aren’t supposed to be wiping accounts again and the cash shop is already open and doing business. Just like PW.

All new games will have the same problems. Every single one of them. Anyone who’d been to enough MMO launches knows that.

Posted by: Rage The Numbers.7943

Rage The Numbers.7943

Any GW2 fan that could afford it will. This is a loaded question that I’m surprised hasn’t been locked yet.

Rage The Nornynorn – Guild Leader [RR] Reddit Refugees
Sanctum of Rall
http://www.reddit.com/r/Reddit_Refugees – Visit the site for Recruitment!

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

Yes, in a heartbeat.

^^
totally this.

I would be expecting an epic storyline and hope for some major non-dragon boss. But even if it still was another dragon I’d still get it.

Posted by: Jazzabelle.6531

Jazzabelle.6531

In a heartbeat I would buy an expansion for GW2.

I laughed as I read through all the posts on this thread from all the GW1 fans who said they would return to GW1 because GW2 is so broken. Welll……… Ive been playing GW1 of late to get the HoM points and if a game is broken it is definately GW1. Char animations on some classes are so broken they are too ugly to even play and I will leave it there because I dont have the time to continue with its faults.

Posted by: Slowburn.5319

Slowburn.5319

Oh yea! More npc’s who need help weeding their garden or collecting samples… oh and a few more dragons to auto attack for chest.

Sorry for the sarcasm… would like to see some challenging content that feels worthy of a dragon slaying world saving pact member.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

As it stands now, no.
Quite frankly I´m having a bit of buyers remorse on the two 2k gem cards I bought up to now.

Polish > hype