Would you buy an expansion?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Yes, I would.

I love exploring the most and after map completion, what I really want to see is new areas. I would absolutely be willing to pay for them.

Posted by: Johnson.3874

Johnson.3874

I will not, except if :

- They fix all of the bugged traits of all classes.
- They add REAL dynamic events, with different outcomes depending on success/failure (at least 2 or 3 for each major event of a zone)
- They stop using those nasty invisible walls everywhere in a game where jumping is so important.
- They stop breaking their game and creating new bugs each time they release a patch.
- They make Trahearne die in the most horrible and vicious way.
- They finally learn to code their game properly and get rid of all the cheaters in SPvP and WvW.

Some of those points are more important than others, but I really can’t see myself giving them even one penny if they don’t do at least half of it.

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

With the whole ascended debacle and now the announcement of WvWvW specific infusions I’d have to say no. The game is headed in a way which I cannot support and as such I’m not willing to sink more money into it. The original vision which I paid to see realized has been abandoned and I with it.

Oh, come on! It will be something like a + -2% damage to players or mobs in the WvW. Exclusively for the moral self-satisfaction, no more. People like to farm something that they think they need. WvW players want to equip for the WvW, accordingly, therefore they feel left out with this gear to protection from agony. By and large, no one not even feel the difference. Do not dramatize

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

Oh, come on! It will be something like a + -2% damage to players or mobs in the WvW. Exclusively for the moral self-satisfaction, no more. People like to farm something that they think they need. WvW players want to equip for the WvW, accordingly, therefore they feel left out with this gear to protection from agony. By and large, no one not even feel the difference. Do not dramatize

There is no reason for this split to even exist. It’s just a me too to World of WarCraft’s way of handling PvP/PvE gear and necessitating players to grind several sets. Even if the statistical difference isn’t tremendous initially with the limited number of infusion slots it will grow as more pieces are added into the game. It’s another bad development and coupled with all the others I do believe it’s time to be sincerely worried for the future of this game as it’s losing its identity.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Sure I would, on one condition:

IF the level cap is increased, our ascended gear is upleveled too…or something like that. I dont want to spend another year or so grinding out ascended gear. I dont want to get to the tippy top of BiS gear with this game, and then have an expansion completely wipe out my efforts because as I gain new levels past 80, my gear becomes obsolete. Kind of thought that crap would go away with this game. If I want that, I’ll play a game like WoW, Tera, Rift, or Neverwinter(already do play this one at the moment).

I dont care if they increase the level cap, I just dont want my gear to become obsolete at the new level cap. I would want it as powerful then as it is now.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Yes I would, yep

As long as there are no new caps, I hate level/gear increases.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Grileenor.1497

Grileenor.1497

“Would you buy an expansion?”

I will preorder the day it will become possible. In fact, if there is no expansion announced by the end of the year, I will look for a game, that does expansions. I don’t care for the light content they offer with the lifeless story.

I want to explore big areas, I want to twink around all(and new) races and classes, I want to get new stuff to level up crafting as well as other stuff.

An new dungeon now and then and some 20 minutes types of gaming content won’t keep me here forever.

A clear yes for expansion!

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Let’s review:

• Ascended Gear: not what I came here for. I fear the worst is yet to come…
  • Guild Missions: my original small guild died, my new guild is much larger, and yet I still haven’t done a single guild mission and probably never will. So, thanks for nothing. Literally!
  • Living Story: not much life, not much story, and what little there was… was temporary. Brilliant!
  • That ridiculous hole in Divinity’s Reach: effulgence abounds.
  • Rare items inside rare items that drop rarely: heh.

-and-

*The threat of a level cap raise, should an expansion indeed occur: the word ‘iceberg’ comes to mind.

So, sadly, no. As much as I like parts of GW2, and I do like a great deal of it, the developmental trend, as indicated by the things listed above, is neither encouraging nor conducive to the keeping of the proverbial faith.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Riss.1536

Riss.1536

I’ll check the new features and I’ll probably buy it.

cesmode.4257

@techenon: Thats what Ive been saying about ascended gear from the start.

From arenanet/fanbois of ascended gear:
“Its not a gear grind”
“We will introduce the gear slowly so you have a lot of time to acquire. Over the next year you should have all slots”

Great. So we spend a year or more slowly acquiring these pieces, and then enjoy a few months of having a full ascended set. Then when they do announce an expansion, and if they do increase the level cap, all of that ascended gear is obsolete. We will go through the next few levels, and then get to the new level cap. Once there, the grind for the new level cap ascended gear begins, and this cycle continues.

There are other games that follow this model: WoW, Tera, Rift, etc. To not call this a gear grind, however slow, is naieve.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Suck the money out of the brand…So kinda like Anet did with the Guild Wars franchise? It goes both ways. I don’t like being lied to about a product either.

Well here u are completely wrong.
First: there is only one product with GW franchise – is GW1, and it was the same innovative MMO at it’s time like second now. The second part – a brand new product, devoid of clichés.
The second goesn’t “gets by” success or the ideas of the first part.
Secondly: it is impossible to argue that the game was made for the idea and the idea of ??it has and will continue to be, gathering clones created by these ideas by other developers..

Sucking money out of the brand – is selling a massive amount of copies, recoup the costs of product development, which often proves to be quite commonplace and of poor quality and does not implement all the promises. Huge sale mainly provided by success and/or popularity of the PREVIOUS parts or the success of any other products with this franchise. (Remembering StarWars and EA.)

The already clear that Anet is not involved in this. But Bethesda could.

Um. That is exactly what Anet did my friend. Cashed in on the reputation of GW1, promised many things through their little manifesto, then didn’t deliver. Now box sales have come to a major slowdown, so they milk the remaining people still hanging around with highway robbery style gem store pricing and RNG chests that make even Perfect World games blush.

I want this game to succeed, but how long can you stick around when every patch strays further from what they said the game would be.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

(edited by Aeonblade.8709)

Posted by: Doofus Overload.4061

Doofus Overload.4061

“Would I buy an expasion”

yes I think I would

I’m rather partial to some cheese on toast

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

Yes, yes I certainly would.

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

Posted by: shadowsoul.2134

shadowsoul.2134

yes, they’re doing a great job!!

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

- They make Trahearne die in the most horrible and vicious way.

This might be the ONE thing that could get me to pay for an exansion…lol

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

An established MMO is going to have some advantage over a new one after the shine wears off. And if you think that other MMOs will launch with a less “greedy” cash shop, well…off you go then. Will you have the grace to return if you’re wrong?

Defiance.
Skins and veicles on the cash shop with the same stats of the ones you can get in game.
RNG boxes with a chance to get the rarest weapons in game, and you can buy them via real money and in game currencies.
RIFT will be totally free to play in less than 2 weeks, Trion already stated that everything will be obtainable in game, and cash shop will only have mounts and cosmetic items.
There are already “less greedy” cash shop games out there…

And a new MMO can become “esablished” in a few months, the same has been for GW2.

Aeonblade.8709

An established MMO is going to have some advantage over a new one after the shine wears off. And if you think that other MMOs will launch with a less “greedy” cash shop, well…off you go then. Will you have the grace to return if you’re wrong?

Defiance.
Skins and veicles on the cash shop with the same stats of the ones you can get in game.
RNG boxes with a chance to get the rarest weapons in game, and you can buy them via real money and in game currencies.
RIFT will be totally free to play in less than 2 weeks, Trion already stated that everything will be obtainable in game, and cash shop will only have mounts and cosmetic items.

And a new MMO can become “esablished” in a few months, the same has been for GW2.

I can only think of a few cash shops actually worse than GW2, and those are in P2W games, which I won’t play for obvious reasons.

EQ1, EQ2, Aion, DDO, LotRO, and soon Rift will all have better cash shops than GW2, and those games started out as sub based games. The only game I can think of that remotely compares to the unfair RNG aspects of GW2 that is coming out recently is Neverwinter…and well, most of us already know to avoid PW like the plague. I mean they literally let you buy levels. Ugh.

Posted by: Sai.5908

Sai.5908

Don’t really know if I would buy an expansion at this point , maybe if they add guild/ player housing along with heroes then yeah I might just buy it .

cesmode.4257

I think GW2 cash shop has been executed perfectly. They could use a few more skins, infact a lot more. But with regard to what types of things they put in there, its great. I have felt absolutely no need to buy anything. I do because I want to, and because I want to support the game.

Posted by: ShunsuiKouKyoraku.9106

ShunsuiKouKyoraku.9106

ABSOLUTELY, and if it were Cantha I’d buy the super awesome edition. Also, please include a free character expansion slot.

~De Oppresso Libre~
Shunsui Kou Kyoraku~Thief |Afro Claptrap~Warrior|Korra Jorradóttir~Elementalist
Zaraki Bladebreaker~Guardian|Mikasa Ackkermann~Mesmer

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

I would probably buy it. My first 100 hours of this game were definitely top notch in terms of enjoyment, only surpassed by Freelancer and GW1. The 2,5k after that haven’t been as enjoyable, but 100 hours is still more than I expect from a brand new €50 game these days.

Hopefully a potential expansion will be more connected to and driven by its storyline because of the smaller size. That I never felt very connected to a story, neither the overarching one or the minor ones for each zone was a major flaw with GW2 imo, but also something they have sort of remedied with the latest addition to the Living Story. I just hope they can keep this mentality of truly tying the zones, content and characters to the storyline going forward.

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

(edited by Gab Superstar.4059)

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

Um. That is exactly what Anet did my friend. Cashed in on the reputation of GW1, promised many things through their little manifesto, then didn’t deliver. Now box sales have come to a major slowdown, so they milk the remaining people still hanging around with highway robbery style gem store pricing and RNG chests that make even Perfect World games blush.

I want this game to succeed, but how long can you stick around when every patch strays further from what they said the game would be.

Well, personally I started playing first GW when I found out about the second. More than a dozen of my friends and a hundred acquaintances, same, had not even heard about GW1 but love the second. Most of the players, in fact, does not know about the first part. So you’re wrong. Most of what they promised they implemented. Lacking only the pleasant things like city events. Chests? Why? I have not bought a single and enjoy the game. Now you can get chests from mobs. During the evening, about 5 chests easily. Patches are very high quality and interesting. The only game so far, which is really tells the story. And your judgment is built largely on the basis of resentment at the fact that the game did not meet any of your personal expectations. Isn’t it so?

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

Nope. not unless that xpac is called something like:

• Guild Wars 2: The Death of Diminishing Returns
  • Guild Wars 2: Drop Rates Rising
  • Guild Wars 2: CoF2 With 13 new 5-minute paths that are just as profitable as CoF1p1
  • Guild Wars 2: Precursor exploiters actually banned so the economy isn’t kitten.
  • Guild Wars 2: Zommoros gets beat the kitten up and take his lunch money.

I got a nice laugh. +1

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Posted by: Ghettoblade.7962

Ghettoblade.7962

Only if they put a real end-game in.
Duel specs
Get rid of DR
Fishing
being able to make a group with more than 5 people
Bump up the world bosses
and the temporary content does not equal to an expansion..if your going to throw us a bone make sure it has some meat on it
as of right now,after 80 can be a snooze fest.

(edited by Ghettoblade.7962)

Posted by: Hrithmus.2583

Hrithmus.2583

No. No.. And No.

Posted by: Halandir.3609

Halandir.3609

After the nov. 15th patch I stopped spending money on GW2 and have just played some few hours in singleplayer mode. An expansion with more vertical “progression” wont change that.

Aeonblade.8709

Well, personally I started playing first GW when I found out about the second. More than a dozen of my friends and a hundred acquaintances, same, had not even heard about GW1 but love the second. Most of the players, in fact, does not know about the first part. So you’re wrong. Most of what they promised they implemented. Lacking only the pleasant things like city events. Chests? Why? I have not bought a single and enjoy the game. Now you can get chests from mobs. During the evening, about 5 chests easily. Patches are very high quality and interesting. The only game so far, which is really tells the story. And your judgment is built largely on the basis of resentment at the fact that the game did not meet any of your personal expectations. Isn’t it so?

Yes I don’t think we needed a long paragraph to say that the game did not meet my expectations lol. I guess let me rephrase that. Anyone who has been playing MMO’s in the last years should know what GW1 is, if you don’t play online games this would exclude you from knowing, wouldn’t it?

Not trying to be mean, just explaining why I said what I said.

(edited by Aeonblade.8709)

Posted by: Daftendire.7849

Daftendire.7849

Would not buy. Too buggy and unbalanced. The only raid content exists in WvW which is pointlessly stale and often unplayable (skill Lag). World bosses are also a joke.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Only if the expansion increases level cap and does NEVER implement level cap ascended or better gear. Back to exotics as BiS!

Posted by: Arisal.9740

Arisal.9740

Yes because of:
A) Every month they have high quality patches with tons of new content.
B) Dynamic events imo are far better than any quest hub type mmo I have ever played. I hate traditional questing with a passion.
C) No vertical progress (ascended gear is not vertical because they are not adding more tiers like all those other mmos)
D) They made Guild Wars 1 and I have faith that this game will be every bit as awesome as the first one over time.
E) Combat system doesn’t feel clunky and animations are top notch and fluid. I hate being rooted to the ground when casting; is there even another mmo that does this?

Sure there are lots of things they can work on to improve the game but it’s already pretty solid for what type of game I like. Honestly I get board with vertical progression games because its so linear. Guild wars 2 is the most non-linear mmo I have ever played besides maybe Eve-Online.

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

This is very easy to answer;

*Would You Buy An Expansion To A Broken House?

Of Course Not

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

Posted by: Assyrian.4827

Assyrian.4827

Mike O’Brien: " Guild Wars 2 takes everything you love about Guild Wars 1 and puts it into a persistent world ."
Never again
NO.

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

Would you buy the next expansion? Why or why not.

No, because the game as it is now, has much much too many bugs/missing features.

Posted by: justkoh.4073

justkoh.4073

I’d definitely buy a new expansion as long as it includes a new class or 2, new spells for all existing classes and new, skimpy armor for my female toons.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

“Its not a gear grind”
“We will introduce the gear slowly so you have a lot of time to acquire. Over the next year you should have all slots”

Great. So we spend a year or more slowly acquiring these pieces, and then enjoy a few months of having a full ascended set. Then when they do announce an expansion, and if they do increase the level cap, all of that ascended gear is obsolete. We will go through the next few levels, and then get to the new level cap. Once there, the grind for the new level cap ascended gear begins, and this cycle continues.

There are other games that follow this model: WoW, Tera, Rift, etc. To not call this a gear grind, however slow, is naieve.

It’s not gear grind, because I’m not grinding. End of story. I’m not locked out of content. You bring up games like WoW or Rift…have you played these games?

In those games without that gear you can’t do content at all. It’s not that you dont’ have an optimal character. That’s not it at all. You are barred from participating in that content, because you can’t do it.

At this point in time, there is one single area of the game that requires you to have ascended gear and that’s the fractals, in which ascended rings drop and the stuff you need to make your exotic back pack (also from the fractals ascended). Anyone can do the dailies and get necklace in 30 days (or 20 if they do the monthly).

But if you don’t want to do high level fractals you can still DO fractals and have fun. And you can do EVERY dungeon without ascended gear. And you can WvW without ascended gear. And you can SPvP without ascended gear. And you can go anywhere in the world and play, all without ascended gear.

Gear treadmills are based around the idea that you can’t do the new content until you gear up. I don’t see any gear treadmills in this game. And I don’t see gear grind either. You can take your time getting ascended bear, because it is not required to play the game.

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Oh heck yeah, I’d buy an expansion! I’m loving this game! Haters gonna hate, bashers gonna bash, but out of all the games I play this is the one I always come back to. It can only get better!

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

I would buy it if they don’t introduce a new tier of gear and don’t raise the level cap. Give me new maps, two new professions and, of course, two free character slots and I will buy your expansion pack. But try to implement any more grind whatsoever and I will turn my back on GW2 and never lock back.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

Would I buy an expansion?

Yes. I would buy expansions in a heartbeat if made. I’m having too much fun with this game to even consider denying myself more fun.

I loved GW1 and was not disappointed with any of the expansions for that game. (hmm, that is a poor way of saying I loved all the expansions and thought they were worth every penny spent)

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: Kon.9106

Kon.9106

I would defiantly buy an expansion, the content they have already released and the game itself is already the best, an expansion could only make it better.

Posted by: Kon.9106

Kon.9106

Would I buy an expansion?

Yes. I would buy expansions in a heartbeat if made. I’m having too much fun with this game to even consider denying myself more fun.

I loved GW1 and was not disappointed with any of the expansions for that game. (hmm, that is a poor way of saying I loved all the expansions and thought they were worth every penny spent)

I feel the same way

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Defiance.

I can only think of a few cash shops actually worse than GW2, and those are in P2W games, which I won’t play for obvious reasons.

EQ1, EQ2, Aion, DDO, LotRO, and soon Rift will all have better cash shops than GW2, and those games started out as sub based games. The only game I can think of that remotely compares to the unfair RNG aspects of GW2 that is coming out recently is Neverwinter…and well, most of us already know to avoid PW like the plague. I mean they literally let you buy levels. Ugh.

DDO? That game’s cash shop made me swear off MMo’s entirely and I had a sub lol

GW2 cash shop is perfect- not enough stuff yet but nothing you have to buy unless you really want to- I never once felt milked in gW2 like I did on a daily basis in DDO.
Don’t like RnG? Don’t spend money or gold on it, I don’t and never have.

I will pre-order two or three accounts, my daughter is still a bit young and rarely plays.

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Morrigan.2809)

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

“Its not a gear grind”

That’s a slippery slope which is considered a fallacious argument. Because of that, you’re entire post falls apart. Unless you can prove all that to happen, especially the rinse-repeat part, you have absolutely no valid claim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

Would I buy an expansion? Only if it would meet these criteria:

- WvW would now mean something, taking something would be important and not just flip color every 5 minutes, and there would more reason to win rather than farm WXP
- hot join sPvP would be fixed in the same thing so that winning is what’s important/rewarded and not standing in a circle with 8 ppl cause you get +10 glory for it
- t(ournament)PvP would be actual tournaments instead of single matches
- PvE would get a zone that’s worth playing in

There is a looooot more changes I’d like to see (if it were up to me I’d pretty much redo the whole game, lol) but if they would at least make these few very basic things I’d buy the expansion, if not I wouldn’t.

If they’d acually fix these things before an expansion, I’d probably buy it anyway.

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

As long as they don’t make expansions too frequent (one every 12-18 months feels about right) then I’d very happily buy whatever they put out, be it Cantha, Elona, the Charr Homelands, Far Shiverpeaks … pretty much anything.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Sure i would. Running around in this world alone was worth every penny for me :/

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

If its parallel rather than sequential yes.

If it ups level cap, or introduces new gear levels, then no.

Posted by: NibriAyid.3680

NibriAyid.3680

I’ll definitely buy an expansion the same way I did in GW1. To hook people like me it’d be useful if the expansion added stuff like bank or character slots (or came with 1000 gems or so for activating the expansion), so there’s value even if you don’t dive into the expansion’s content.

Now the question is will I actually play the expansion content. I played Factions from release until I ran into the Kurzick/Luxon junk (and only completed it 2 years later). I never actually leveled a character through Istan in Nightfall, taking again years to complete the campaign. I only finished EoTN in normal mode. (The silly me bought all these expansions the week of release as well.) For Nightfall, I was actually too lazy to play through the content to get hero skills, so I bought up the PvP skill pack which also unlocked said skills on my heroes.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

With the whole ascended debacle and now the announcement of WvWvW specific infusions I’d have to say no. The game is headed in a way which I cannot support and as such I’m not willing to sink more money into it. The original vision which I paid to see realized has been abandoned and I with it.

Oh, come on! It will be something like a + -2% damage to players or mobs in the WvW.

About +20% for full set, when the armor and weapons will be there. It’s been calculated several times already (possibly even higher, the calculations were really conservative).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Aeonblade.8709

Oh, come on! It will be something like a + -2% damage to players or mobs in the WvW.

About +20% for full set, when the armor and weapons will be there. It’s been calculated several times already (possibly even higher, the calculations were really conservative).

Sounds awesome, won’t affect PvE kings and WvW players finally have something to look forward to.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Sounds awesome, won’t affect PvE kings and WvW players finally have something to look forward to.

Oh, did you mean WvW infusions? I guess i misread your post then. I thought you were talking about the ascended/exotic difference.

Yep, WvW infusion effect will likely be negligible for stats – most likely it will be “+World XP” or similar effects anyway

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November