spoiling star wars in map chat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rio.4259

Rio.4259

It’s not “this community”. Its every community. It’s happening in every social game, and every form of social media.

The easiest way to prevent spoilers is to just go see the movie. Going to see the movie = easy. Expecting no spoilers online = not reasonable.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

I don’t care about spoilers – I don’t watch stuff like that for the (normally, fairly predictable) plot.

If people worried about the plot of films, no one would ever watch the film of a book they’d already read.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

Not reading thread because some person of horrible personality may be spamming spoilers above and I haven’t seen it yet.

But yea, this is why I am closing all game chat in all online games I am playing until I see it.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Report them for griefing and move on. It is against the rules to ruin peoples day just for the sake of doing it.

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

I’m just glad i have yet to see someone spoiling the after credits scene.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’m just glad i have yet to see someone spoiling the after credits scene.

I see what you did there.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Zero faith?

You may be aiming a bit high!

Donari.5237

At least you can be happy nobody has spoiled the after credits scene.

Now you’re just getting silly — one thread with this may be enough. (I speak as someone that really needed to get to the ladies room even before the movie ended but stuck it out in case of something after the credits, plus my husband and I always watch movie credits. Any of you in similar straits, it’s safe to depart during the credits, there is something at the end but nothing necessary to see).

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Since the Internet and social media, major societal events like a new Star Wars movie is going to get spoiled for anyone and the chances will exponentially increase over time so the only way to avoid it is to see the movie ASAP, which is what a lot of people who don’t want to be spoiled did.

If you are planning it see it with family over the Holidays, turn off your phone, log off of all social media and stay away from people.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The anonymous nature of the Internet lets people be kittenhats without fear of being torn apart by those next to them in line. Last night there was someone driving around my town little shopping area screaming Star Wars spoilers out of their car window.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Shadowsrb.6241

Shadowsrb.6241

Haha what spoilers if watched ep4 then u know whats ep7 is about.i can spoil you next 2 episodes if u want…

Posted by: Pepsi.8907

Pepsi.8907

Only sometimes? kitten OP, you need to go in HoTM…
I’m at “sometimes I think this community is alright” before a whiny kid PM me some insults or ragy comments… happy to have my vial of salt for those moments and then I remember why I lost all of my faith in them…

Posted by: Foghladha.2506

Foghladha.2506

Just remember thats one guy out of 7 million :p not all of us are jerks

Benjamin “Foghladha.2506” Foley
Founder, Gaiscioch Community [GSCH] | Gaiscioch Magazine | Twitch | YouTube | Twitter
Proud Resident of Mercenary Server Sanctum of Rall | 6 Year Extra-Life Charity Event Participant

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

All i got to say about the movie is if they didn’t bleep out every word R2 said i doubt it would have been rated PG-13.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

• Looks at fireplace.
  • Puts hand in fire.
  • Gets burned.
  • Complaints about fireplace: “Sometimes I have ZERO faith in this fireplace”, “I put my hand on it and it burns!”.

You don’t say… /rolleyes

How many times we must say it until people gets it: You can’t prevent spoilers from the Internet. You can hardly prevent it from your daily life, like two people talking on the bus, or walking near you, or sitting in a coffee shop, and you expect people on the Internet to stop talking about something so you can avoid spoilers? Do you even realize how many people is out there using the Internet?

What will you do? Go to each and every one of their houses and bully them into shutting up about anything you don’t want to hear? That’s pure unadulterated selfish madness.

You can’t police other’s freedom of speech in open channels of communication like the Internet. You are the one who is supposed to avoid those channels if you don’t want to be spoiled. You are not the center of this or any Universe.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Donari.5237

Mithran, the issue isn’t people joyfully discussing the movie. It’s people who know they will make others unhappy deliberately dropping spoilers, especially in LFG which is not a discussion venue in the first place.

The act of the spoiler itself isn’t what’s riling most people up, I believe. I think it’s the nasty intent behind it. Those two people talking on the bus aren’t facing the other passengers and gleefully trumpeting details from the movie, or grabbing the driver’s mic to announce them to everyone who might otherwise have ducked down and not bent an ear towards the pair.

There’s nothing wrong with asking people to refrain from direct malice or pointing out they are actually making others unhappy. That’s not policing (as such requests have no authority other than perhaps the threat of social opprobrium behind them).

Freedom of speech has nothing to do with it. In the US that’s a constitutional guarantee that the government won’t oppress you for speaking your political or religious opinions in the free marketplace of ideas. Private citizens can tell you they don’t agree with your opinions and won’t host them in the communication channels they’ve created. Even the government is permitted to restrict things based on time, place, and manner. I had to explain this so many times over the years to clients facing disorderly conduct charges and the like >< (Though to be fair sometimes the charges did violate their speech rights, and I did win some trials based on that).

Besides, if you want to express the opinion that others shouldn’t complain about deliberate rudeness, aren’t you trying to restrict their comments?

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

can i report someone for this cause that kitten is NOT COOL

Try it … I would be surprised if you don’t get some reprimand for abusing the reporting system.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Stars Wars will be spoiled that’s simply the way things work, if it’s not here it will be somewhere else. Sorry it matters to you but I really doubt there is a TOS infraction for that.

This. I really hate it when people are so uptight about spoilers (which I go out of my way to find so I can enjoy other parts of the movie and not be worried about stuff like I’ll be less shocked and sad if a character I like died…if only I had some personal story spoilers when I started this game )

that’s your prerogative, but at the same time you should respect everyone who wishes to enjoy the film without ‘spoilers’, which… spoil the experience. hence the name. i truly believe anyone who intentionally spoils star wars for people is heartless and probably a very lonely individual.

Or you could just realise that the internet is full of kittens and – oh here’s a good idea – stay away from the internet if you don’t want spoilers. There are many options to block people or even turn off chat entirely.

You have more than enough options to deal with not wanting spoilers. Utilise them.

Shouldn’t have to turn off map chat to avoid spoilers for a movie that is less than a week old. If you purposely spoil stuff in map chat you should be banned. It is essentially griefing and griefing is against the rules.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

If I’ve seen a movie that I liked, I’ll want to talk about it. It’s not my fault that someone else is the one who doesn’t want spoilers.

You can want to talk about it all you want, doesn’t mean you should, you don’t have more right to talk than someone else has to peace and quiet.

Talk about it in guild chat, in local chat, in real life but if you broadcast in map chat and someone asks you to not talk about it, you should stop talking.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but someone has every right to talk about a topic in map chat even if some snowflake doesnt like it. Why? Because that person can turn off map chat, go to another map, or block them. All 3 make it so that they dont see that person talking anymore. Lets get real here, I can talk about whatever the kitten I want in map chat as long as I dont break rules doing so. To that end, there is nothing you can do about it except use the options available to not see it anymore.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I was thinking about this the other day and honestly, it is just another brand of trolling… even worse, in fact (worse in the sense of how appealing it is to the troll) because there is power in it. The powerless person who leads a miserable life can feel powerful by thrusting spoilers on people.

Just remember, they are hurting more than any hurt they can cause with a few spoilers. People don’t do stuff like that when their lives are great and they feel fulfilled.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

They will only have power if you give them that power.

The more you mind spoilers and make a big deal out of it, the more they will know they affect you and use them.

Imagine you start banning people saying spoilers to deal with those.
Then suddenly you overhead a conversation of a few people talking normally about it. No ill intention. You report them, they get banned. You got a few innocent guys banned.

You could say “well, we won’t ban those that seem to be just talking to each other”. Then the trolls would just simulate conversations.

And what about those saying fake spoilers because they heard the joke in a late night talk show and found that funny? You are going to ban those two?

Since there’s no way to determine intention with some sort of Orwellian mind-monitoring machine, the rule would have to apply to both the trolls and the guys talking normally. And you’ll open the door to punish innocent people along the guilty.

What is worse? Punishing innocent people or overhearing a spoiler? I’d rather go with the second, since it’s much easier to just close chat channels or do not touch anything connected to the Internet at all, and go around with headphones and music than determining who is spreading spoilers intentionally and who is just having a conversation.

In the age of information, individuals are the ones responsible of the information that reaches them. You pick your TV channels, you pick your news sources, you are the one turning on or off your devices. In Guild Wars 2, your tools for that are chat channels and blocking.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Not 100%, but sometimes I just wish bad bad things regarding some people in games.

So a guy is in LA spamming Star Wars spoilers. Nice.

PS: I’ve seen it already but C’MON!

Report it. Please!!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Not 100%, but sometimes I just wish bad bad things regarding some people in games.

Report it. Please!!

So it is considered a form of trolling, which is reportable under the verbal abuse option?

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

can i report someone for this cause that kitten is NOT COOL

Let me be clear about my earlier comment. At this point, I recommend that players who witness this do report the player who is posting spoilers using the in-game tool. In my opinion, spoilers are beyond rude, they’re intended to cause distress to others. I’ve asked CS for an official position, but I would recommend that you flag and report spoiler-ish comments and let the CS agents make a determination.

P.S. This applies to the current topic — Episode 7 — and does not include “Someone is someone’s father” or “Rosebud is…” or “Soylent Green is…” or any of the classic spoilers of days gone by.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Auralae.7482

Auralae.7482

Report it. Please!!

Why on earth is this reportable? So does this mean that no one can talk about any book, movie, or show that other people might not have seen because someone might get upset that it was spoiled? Or is it just new things? Or just a certain degree of popularity? Is there some special rubric to determine what is a reportable spoiler or not? Seriously, what makes someone talking about the new Star Wars movie a reportable offense?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Thank you Gaile.

Once again you show that ANet does care for the feelings of their players.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: Why on earth is this reportable? – The OP, Gaile, and most of the other posters in this merged thread are talking about people deliberately spamming spoilers in map chat. (for the purpose of griefing) Not someone who accidentally types in local or map chat instead of whisper or party chat.
Like Gaile said, CS will make individual judgements per report.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Report it. Please!!

Why on earth is this reportable? So does this mean that no one can talk about any book, movie, or show that other people might not have seen because someone might get upset that it was spoiled? Or is it just new things? Or just a certain degree of popularity? Is there some special rubric to determine what is a reportable spoiler or not? Seriously, what makes someone talking about the new Star Wars movie a reportable offense?

I ask that you read my comments above to understand. I think I addressed your questions (before you posted them) with a reference to the immediacy of this situation.

I feel sure I made clear that I was stating my personal opinion and that I have sought an official stance and policy from Customer Support. From what I’m told, this person isn’t engaging in a conversation, isn’t interacting with others. He or she has chosen to stand in the heart of Tyria spewing spoilers. That seems antagonistic towards other players; that seems anti-community and disrespectful.

You may disagree. Heck, Customer Support may disagree. But I feel that there is nothing that our community gains with such actions, and there is something that they lose so I encourage players to allow CS to make the final decision.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Auralae.7482

re: Why on earth is this reportable? – The OP, Gaile, and most of the other posters in this merged thread are talking about people deliberately spamming spoilers in map chat. (for the purpose of griefing) Not someone who accidentally types in local or map chat instead of whisper or party chat.

And then at what point is it not reportable? A week from now? A month from now? After a user poll has determined that 90% of GW2 players currently playing have seen the movie? It’s a nebulous thing that’s motivated solely because some people have a vested interest in omg STAR WARS and it’s not made clear in the ToS that certain movies at certain times are reportable offenses if intentionally spoiled.

Slippery slope imo.

Posted by: Tiny Tove.3589

Tiny Tove.3589

This is another stepping stone towards the world you deserve. I hope you enjoy it when it gets here and you remember your efforts that helped to bring it about.

I look forward to the Black Mirror special that spells it out for you.

Auralae.7482

Report it. Please!!

I ask that you read my comments above to understand. I think I addressed your questions (before you posted them) with a reference to the immediacy of this situation.

And as I made clear, it’s my opinion that I’ve stated, while seeking input from Customer Support. From what I’m told, this person isn’t engaging in a conversation, isn’t interacting with others. He or she has chosen to stand in the heart of Tyria posting spoilers. And to me, that seems antagonistic towards other players.

You may disagree. Heck, Customer Support may disagree. But I feel that there is nothing that our community gains with such actions, and there is something that they lose so I encourage players to allow CS to make the final decision.

I was typing my question when you typed your response. I have read your response. Can’t say I agree, but everyone has their opinions and mine is worth little.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Everyone’s opinion has value.

I simply believe that our rules against harassment encompass this sort of situation, where there’s no legitimate reason to shout spoilers in game and that the only motivation would seem to be a desire to cause distress to others. That would seems to make such activities reportable offenses that our CS agents will analyze and react to, as appropriate. (And let’s be clear, this was not a conversation, this was merely one person trying his/her best to spoil the movie for as many players a possible. Some sort of warped sense of power, perhaps? Who knows??)

As we have always said, players are welcome to report questionable chat or comments about which they have concerns. And as Elden Arnaas mentioned, each situation will be reviewed and acted upon, or not, after an analysis by the team.

As to timing, with theatres sold out for days and day, even those with a heavy devotion to the film series may simply not have been able to see it yet. What’s a good shelf date for “No spoilers, please?” (And remember, I’m talking only the very current spoiler, not the ending of Anna Karenina. ) I’m willing to ask CS, and I’d like to have opinions here. Maybe one week? Two weeks? What do you think?

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Edit- the forums are wonky and I deleted my previous post.

I understand that “spam” is an issue, as is using the lfg tool for unintended purposes, but I honestly don’t see an issue with discussing things in chat that don’t involve breaking the rules or any form of ingame NDA…

When are players allowed to discuss Star Wars? After the entire playerbase has verified they have seen it?

Are players allowed to discuss real life stock market stuff if they choose?

I’m not being sarcastic, I’m just wondering where these fine lines are? I would hate for map chat to turn into one person mentioning Star Wars then players jumping on them saying… “The devs said you can’t talk about Star Wars 7 so I’m reporting you”, then customer service taking the time to review every Star Wars related report needlessly…

One again, “spam” I get because it’s “spam”, but to discuss something in chat that doesn’t break the current rules or any ingame NDA is not wrong by any means…

Edit 2- I do respect everyone’s opinion as well, but simply minimizing the chat window is a solution to seeing any spoilers… I understand spam is not good, as is harassment, but this is a slippery slope discussion… Ignore is also an option available too instead of jumping through CS hoops…

The report functions are also severely lacking, that needs to be addressed first I think.

Edit 3- and I love you Gaile, you helped us defeat the mighty Jormag once and personally saved my life when that foul beast gave me a mortal wound… Also, thanks for not using pony bow that day too…

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

I watched episode 7 today and I can suggest all of you to watch it. Really great movie. Cant wait for ep. 8 and 9. ;(

Previous

Gaile Gray

Swagger — I was responding, in part, to your concerns. Please read above your comments for my thoughts and my invitation to share input. Thanks.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Edit- the forums are wonky and I deleted my previous post.

I understand that “spam” is an issue, as is using the lfg tool for unintended purposes, but I honestly don’t see an issue with discussing things in chat that don’t involve breaking the rules or any form of ingame NDA…

When are players allowed to discuss Star Wars? After the entire playerbase has verified they have seen it?

Are players allowed to discuss real life stock market stuff if they choose?

I’m not being sarcastic, I’m just wondering where these fine lines are? I would hate for map chat to turn into one person mentioning Star Wars then players jumping on them saying… “The devs said you can’t talk about Star Wars 7 so I’m reporting you”, then customer service taking the time to review every Star Wars related report needlessly…

One again, “spam” I get because it’s “spam”, but to discuss something in chat that doesn’t break the current rules or any ingame NDA is not wrong by any means…

I think definitions should err on the side of tightening rather than broadening because broadening things would encompass more people. Let’s say that to be a whatever-ist you need to meet certain criteria such as having certain beliefs. Then the definition expands, and the problem with this is you too would become a whatever-ist due to an arbitrary shift in goalposts.

This logic applies to trolling. Sure there are people who deliberately “spoil” in order to troll but most are simply careless, likely because it’s inconceivable to some people that they’d feel strongly about it. He may simply want to talk about the new Star Wars and invite people to a conversation, but is suddenly deemed a “troll” despite not insulting anyone’s race, religion, fandom, swearing at others, intending to cause grief, or personally calling others out as “noobs” or whatever and I don’t agree with this.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Swagger — I was responding, in part, to your concerns. Please read above your comments for my thoughts and my invitation to share input. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. I was figuring you were, that’s why I made the edit on top of the post. Forums are funky right now and I had some edits so I deleted the original comments.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

IMO, spoilers should be allowed when the movie is usually not shown in cinemas anymore?

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: IMO, spoilers should be allowed when the movie is usually not shown in cinemas anymore? – That’s a great bit of common sense right there.

(edited by Elden Arnaas.4870)

Posted by: paintpixie.7398

paintpixie.7398

I simply believe that our rules against harassment encompass this sort of situation, where there’s no legitimate reason to shout spoilers in game and that the only motivation would seem to be a desire to cause distress to others. That would seems to make such activities reportable offenses that our CS agents will analyze and react to, as appropriate. (And let’s be clear, this was not a conversation, this was merely one person trying his/her best to spoil the movie for as many players a possible. Some sort of warped sense of power, perhaps? Who knows??)

As we have always said, players are welcome to report questionable chat or comments about which they have concerns. And as Elden Arnaas mentioned, each situation will be reviewed and acted upon, or not, after an analysis by the team.

As to timing, with theatres sold out for days and day, even those with a heavy devotion to the film series may simply not have been able to see it yet. What’s a good shelf date for “No spoilers, please?” (And remember, I’m talking only the very current spoiler, not the ending of Anna Karenina. ) I’m willing to ask CS, and I’d like to have opinions here. Maybe one week? Two weeks? What do you think?

I think, whatever is decided, it needs to be made clear for the future. A very clear rule. I think the person who seems to be in the hot seat right now who is shouting in town should be given a warning, perhaps. And then a rule for this behavior should be discussed for the future, moving forward.

I don’t have an opinion on time, because I think it’s too arbitrary to set a date.
But I think that this should be handled carefully, and with understanding, etc.
And no matter what the outcome of the decision, I think it should be made clear to the players so that everybody can understand the repercussions of such actions, moving forward.

Posted by: The Tee Why.4807

The Tee Why.4807

Report it. Please!!

There’s a difference between people discussing it and outright being like SO AND SO DOES SUCH AND SUCH, just to get a rise out of people.

I believe the thing will be discussed on a case by case basis, if its someone being a jerk, then yeah they deserve any reprecaution that comes their way.

It’s called having some consideration for people.

Leader of [iLL] iLLuminatriots. | Gate of Madness

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: This is another stepping stone towards the world you deserve. I hope you enjoy it when it gets here and you remember your efforts that helped to bring it about. – Utterly preposterous. A gaming company has taken mild steps to keep players from being jerks to each other. How is this a stepping stone to the apocalypse? The people who will hold off that world that you are so desperately afraid of, are the people who stand up for their rights and the rights of others. Not people who roll over and give up, saying things like “Pain and suffering are part of life – put up with them.” and “Bad people are inevitable, let them win.”
In many places, people have a right to do what they want, including be mean and hateful to others. But does that make it right to do so? And what kind of people are we, if we let it happen?

(edited by Elden Arnaas.4870)

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: Just turn off map/local chat to avoid spoilers. – Yes, I could turn off local and map chat if I wanted to avoid spoilers. But I’m using local and map chat to play the game. The (reportable) players in question are not using map or local chat to play the game – they are deliberately using it for griefing. Legitimate in-game use > abuse for purposes of griefing.
Keep in mind, map chat isn’t like going into a restaurant and quietly talking to someone in the same booth, or going into an office building and entering a conference room to discuss something. Map chat is like marching up to the cashier in the restaurant, or the receptionist in the office building, taking the PA, and saying “Attention everyone: [Star Wars spoiler]”. It is not private in any way – it is a form of Public Address. Everyone sees it.
Local chat is like standing up in a large room, and raising your voice so that everyone in the room can hear, to say “Attention everyone: [Star Wars spoiler]”. You are not privately talking to one person over in a corner of the room, off from everyone else. Local chat is like standing up in that room and addressing everyone present.
And that is what the players in question are doing. They are not making legitimate, in-game use for chat. They’re using chat to be jerks because they think they can’t be punished for it.
If you want to discus Star Wars ep7 “in-game”, please use private methods. You can always party up, or join a squad, or whisper. Please use those private forms of chat. Or voice chat, which would be even easier to communicate, and even more private. .Map and local chats are for in-game use, more than they are for off-topic information(specifically being used for griefing)
And again, thank you ArenaNet for taking a stand against griefing.

Posted by: Odin of Ark.4860

Odin of Ark.4860

TBH you shouldn’t be on the internet if you care about spoilers. You’re gonna be spoiled one way or another regardless, all you can do is disable all the chats.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Report it. Please!!

There’s a difference between people discussing it and outright being like SO AND SO DOES SUCH AND SUCH, just to get a rise out of people.

I believe the thing will be discussed on a case by case basis, if its someone being a jerk, then yeah they deserve any reprecaution that comes their way.

You mean.like that part where jar jar binks is swimming through space and eats the death star in one go, while like and Han are delivering R2-D2’s baby?

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Report it. Please!!

You mean.like that part where jar jar binks is swimming through space and eats the death star in one go, while like and Han are delivering R2-D2’s baby?

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Misfit.5962

Misfit.5962

Water, YES WATER, seriously it’s what plants like.

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: TBH you shouldn’t be on the internet if you care about spoilers. You’re gonna be spoiled one way or another regardless, all you can do is disable all the chats. – Either you didn’t read anything in the thread or you’re being deliberately obtuse, or both. GW2 is not a chat room, news site, social media site, or SciFi fan publication. If I went to any of those places, I would be begging for spoilers. But GW2 is a game. Chat is included for game functionality. And while chat is not limited to be used for game purposes only, it is primarily for game purposes. It is a reasonable expectation that I can log in to GW2, and make use of local and map chat, and LFG, for gaming purposes. It is not reasonable to expect me to turn off local and map chat, and avoid LFG, because jerks want to spread spoilers.
That said however, if I really wanted to be safe from spoilers, I would turn off local and map chat, and avoid LFG. Because yeah, it can happen. Even by accident.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I think, for one, that it should always be a situation-based determination and never a sweeping policy, simply because of conversation context. However, I also think there are rare situations – such as this Star Wars one – where it’s painfully obvious sometimes who is going out of their way to troll and who is accidentally letting a spoiler slip in public. I don’t think it should be anything in the realm of a bannable offense – simply a warning (maybe a suspension if they’re just persistent in doing it over and over, but nothing more than that).

The reason I support it getting a warning in certain contexts is because we’re talking about a movie that some people have been waiting for, for decades (a continuation of the story after Episode VI) and a franchise that is one of, if not the biggest, in American culture (for other cultures, I don’t know how popular it is and whether the same gravity should be applied).

To purposefully spoil it is not only an insult to the work that went into such a heavy duty franchise, but it’s just unnecessarily and unjustifiably mean to the people who haven’t seen it yet. In terms of time, I would say two weeks to a month (leaning toward a month, if only because it being out with the holidays means that many won’t have the time to stop and see it that they would otherwise have, or that people are waiting to see it with friends and family when they meet for the holidays), but again… I’m not endorsing doling out punishment for slip-ups. I’m taking about contexts where it’s obvious that the person’s sole motive is to spoil the movie.

I do think, like you do, that it is on the same level as trolling when obviously done in that way and should be handled in much the same way.

I think this is a very unique situation and should not be thought of as setting a precedent, but rather as handling what the situation currently is.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Taltevus.3289

Taltevus.3289

The people arguing against this not being rude, making this more difficult than it needs be, and diluting the obvious in my opinion are the exact kind of people likely to do such a thing.

It is just as easy to whisper, party up for a private chat, whatever…Stop feigning helplessness.