22 Chests opened, nothing unique

in Halloween Event

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

I’m just going to leave this here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/halloween/Cash-Gems-Gold-Skins

You’re welcome.

That’s exactly what I have been telling other players, didn’t know if it was really a great idea though. From the looks of it, it was.

The choices here are simple: try to get skins yourself through BLCs, or buy from those who were lucky.

Unfortunately the players who got lucky enough are selling them for ungodly amounts of gold.

in Halloween Event

TehPwnerer.7215

This is the last straw, Anet and Guild Wars 2 have been a bit disappointing but this definitely takes the cake. Even if these skins are rare, people spending hard earned money shouldn’t have to feel like crap when they see NOTHING Halloween-themed drop.

Yep. First couple hours of the events and already I’m kitten off and upset at the whole thing. I loved the GW1 events and I was giddy like a school girl waiting for the first GW2 event and here I am now kitten off not even looking forward to the remainder of this event.

After all, I am BROKE now from buying gems with my gold (and 50$) to get not a single Halloween item. Really upset at this.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Andoren Blackfyre.9275

Andoren Blackfyre.9275

Everyone is focusing on not getting skins but the fact is we are not getting anything holiday related, no tonics skins pets candy ect…ect…. which leads.me to believe that something is not working quits right

in Halloween Event

Posted by: ezhcim.3075

ezhcim.3075

I spent 2 keys and got nothing after the update, i would like a refund

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Alur.7510

Alur.7510

It’s insulting

BOught 40 key, 1 drop of them a pauldron, from 40 chest..
The only good thing is the Armors from Mad King and The Witch, those are excepcional, for the rest, shame on Arenanet with this gambling kitten bs.
You could have done the same for the weapon skins and win WAY MORE money and WAY MORE player happiness overall.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: matt.8960

matt.8960

This is the last straw, Anet and Guild Wars 2 have been a bit disappointing but this definitely takes the cake. Even if these skins are rare, people spending hard earned money shouldn’t have to feel like crap when they see NOTHING Halloween-themed drop.

This is what the trolls seem to forget. Most people here have played a few F2P games and know the normal way they do business but expected ANet to be above those practices. I personally was giving them a chance because GW1 was so great. GW2 is a fun game, but cash shops leave a bad taste in my mouth, I was hoping for something different but now that I see it’s exactly the same and have lost any desire I had to continue fueling this. Getting out before it gets even worse this time.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Omega.6123

Omega.6123

I opened 5 chests and got nothing but mystery tonics and boosters :/

in Halloween Event

Posted by: tomlin.8204

tomlin.8204

Anyone have a list of names to search tp for please?

“meta” this, “meta” that. Please stop saying the word “meta”.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: FiachSidhe.3654

FiachSidhe.3654

The Age of Entitlement

Why don’t you try refunding your lottery tickets at the gas station after you scratch it off and see how well that goes.

What you “expect” or think you “deserve” to get out of the chests is irrelevant. At no point did Anet give any expectations as to the drop rate of the items in the chest, nor did they force you to open any chests.

You made a conscious decision to buy keys, based on whatever preconceived notions you had concerning the drop rate of items, which ultimately ended up being far removed from reality.

It’s your own fault for making assumptions and impulsively acting on it, especially if doing so was outside of what you could reasonably afford.

Finally. Someone intelligent.

I really don’t see what the commotion is all about. It’s chance. It’s not like ANet said you will get new skin per 5 chests you opened.

Out of 100 chests…getting nothing is not a “chance”

sigh

“Out of 200 lottery ticket, I did not win the lottery.. This is not a chance.”

Define “chance”. Does it say you will instantly get the item?

Wait, nevermind.. There is no point arguing to someone disappointed. I cannot “un-disappoint” you for expecting too much.

The fact of the matter is guy.. This is a game.. this is entertainment.. There is no logical reason for them to make the drop chance this poor. All they are doing it pushing away people that will give them money.

The game is entertainment – yes. I whole heartedly agree.

The event is a gamble. No one told us that we will all get the skins.

Let me define “Chance”

chance/CHans/
Noun: A possibility of something happening.
Adjective: Fortuitous; accidental.
Verb: Do something by accident or without design: “if they chanced to meet”.

Obviously, we use Noun on our discussion.

“A possibility of something happening” tantamount to “A possibility of something not happening.”

Anyways, I sympathize with the frustrated people. Don’t gamble what you can’t/don’t want to lose (ie: money).

Yeah that’s great. Now explain to me, why, a the designers of a halloween event decided to make us gamble on getting costumes and halloween based items?

The problem isn’t that we fail to understand what the word “chance” means. By the way, thanks for linking a dictionary entry for a word. Now look up “irrelevant” and “straw man fallacy”.

Because it’s an event. Where is the thrill when they just give it away? It’s like a souvenir.

And if you do understand “chance”, why all the rage? Maybe you and I have different understanding of “chance”.

Maybe for you, chance is like “I open 200 chest, I will get atleast 1 event item” but mine is “I will open 200 chests and I might get atleast 1 event item”

Isn’t it?

And no, I did not link the dictionary meaning, I copy+pasted it. And you’re welcome.
And no, I don’t need to lookup “irrelevant” and “straw man fallacy” because they are both irrelevant to the point we are discussing.

Cheers!

1. Because it’s an event? WTF? Is that even an argument? No where in your answer did you justify gambling. Give it away? I wasn’t aware that the only alternative to gamble boxes with horrid drop rates would be to give them away. And even still would it really be so back to give something away?
Another strawman fallacy.

2. Because the rage isn’t do to surprise. How hard a concept is this to wrap your head around? It’s that it could have been done far better.

3. No I think of it as might too. It just sucks. It isn’t fun. That’s the point.

4. Congrats, now you can look up semantics. and they are relevant to this conversation, as your sole argument, is nothing more than a logical fallacy.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: PolarTank.5902

PolarTank.5902

Everyone is focusing on not getting skins but the fact is we are not getting anything holiday related, no tonics skins pets candy ect…ect…. which leads.me to believe that something is not working quits right

this too

SUPER ADVENTURE TEAM GO !!!!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Reginold.8536

Reginold.8536

Exactly my point, it’s pretty sad that some people who have paid to get keys aren’t getting the skins, but usually I would say that’s just bad luck. However, when we’re getting absolute junk, and none of it even related to the event that they hyped up so much, it really leaves a bitter feeling.

in Halloween Event

TehPwnerer.7215

Shame on us for defending Anet as the company that doesn’t cash grab and do this crap. Even legitimate threads about this issue are being deleted.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: FiachSidhe.3654

FiachSidhe.3654

This is what the trolls seem to forget. Most people here have played a few F2P games and know the normal way they do business but expected ANet to be above those practices. I personally was giving them a chance because GW1 was so great. GW2 is a fun game, but cash shops leave a bad taste in my mouth, I was hoping for something different but now that I see it’s exactly the same and have lost any desire I had to continue fueling this. Getting out before it gets even worse this time.

Yeah, I expect this kind of garbage from some Korean grinder from Nexon, or Perfect World Entertainment. Not Arenanet. So far, the cash shop has been the best I’ve ever seen in a game.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: bcbully.7289

bcbully.7289

I opened 47 and expected to get “something” related to this event. I got JACK kitten and to be honest I don’t think Anet deserves any of us at customers or fans at this point.

The first thing the patch notes talk about are new items. Which are being dangled in our face and then.. Made impossible to acquire.

Sounds like a carrot on a stick.

in Halloween Event

TehPwnerer.7215

Exactly my point, it’s pretty sad that some people who have paid to get keys aren’t getting the skins, but usually I would say that’s just bad luck. However, when we’re getting absolute junk, and none of it even related to the event that they hyped up so much, it really leaves a bitter feeling.

That’s my biggest problem. 12 candy corn. That’s what I got from 50$ and 10g worth of keys. 12 candy corn and the regular junk that comes in them. I guess I had it coming. I defended Anet for years and here I am getting bit in the butt for it.

Oh also, GG on gems being almost 1g for 100 gems. I bet by tomorrow they will be over 1g for 100 gems.

in Halloween Event

PolarTank.5902

RaiderZ for a go Bob and maybe some closed beta of neverwinter.

It puts the money in other things

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Nighthawk.6453

Nighthawk.6453

If you want this skins you can always buy them from the BLC. They are expensive? Of course, considering how rare they are. But you could get them guaranteed if you were a bit smarter and didn’t spend all money on the lottery.
About point that they are not like legendaries cause they can be done only during Halloween event: think of it like of the limited edition of some… stock. It makes them even more expensive. Why I know that they are so expensive? Because you desire them, they are pricey to you.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: IomegadriveOne.5291

IomegadriveOne.5291

At least now I know not to do the black lion chests now for holiday events. I spent 50 dollars on the kitten keys and got nothing. I wish they would have said how rare it was going to be. I wasn’t expecting this level of rarity for something people had to pay for. I could have at least bought the skins in the gem store and got SOMETHING. Guess that is 50 dollars wasted.

in Halloween Event

TehPwnerer.7215

I opened 47 and expected to get “something” related to this event. I got JACK kitten and to be honest I don’t think Anet deserves any of us at customers or fans at this point.

The first thing the patch notes talk about are new items. Which are being dangled in our face and then.. Made impossible to acquire.

Sounds like a carrot on a stick.

Exactly. Play GW1 – the Halloween event over there is actually more fun and rewarding than the GW2 version. I know because I’m currently DOING IT and actually getting Halloween drops.

Promise of new items is great, what they didn’t tell us is that we’d need to spend tons of IRL cash to get them. No no, I’m sorry, spend tons of cash for a chance at them. My bad.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Jenvo.3578

Jenvo.3578

You’re welcome.

That’s exactly what I have been telling other players, didn’t know if it was really a great idea though. From the looks of it, it was.

The choices here are simple: try to get skins yourself through BLCs, or buy from those who were lucky.

Unfortunately the players who got lucky enough are selling them for ungodly amounts of gold.

Unfortunately people spent ungodly amounts of money on keys instead of gold.

Besides that, it would be horrible if they were affordable for everyone because everyone would be running around with the same skins.

The actual problem here is the variety of the skins: there is only one per weapon type. Because there are so few skins available, the rarity for these has to be high enough for them to be even unique and enjoyable in the first place.

In the future, ANet should attempt to add more of a variety of items for those willing to spend money on these events. This way, the chance of getting any specific item will be very low, but there will be plenty of other items to get.

If taken into enough consideration, they could add tiers to the rarity, so everyone could have their generic holiday items, and the lucky/rich ones will have valuable items worth something to the community.

in Halloween Event

TehPwnerer.7215

If you want this skins you can always buy them from the BLC. They are expensive? Of course, considering how rare they are. But you could get them guaranteed if you were a bit smarter and didn’t spend all money on the lottery.
About point that they are not like legendaries cause they can be done only during Halloween event: think of it like of the limited edition of some… stock. It makes them even more expensive. Why I know that they are so expensive? Because you desire them, they are pricey to you.

Thanks for the lecture. Unfortunately some of us spent the cash right away to support Anet and get a chance at some goodies from the get-go. We learned from that mistake.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: spencerharrison.8136

spencerharrison.8136

Messed up. Really messed up. Totally not part of their design philosophy and has destroyed my enthusiasm way more than I would have thought possible.

in Halloween Event

TehPwnerer.7215

At least now I know not to do the black lion chests now for holiday events. I spent 50 dollars on the kitten keys and got nothing. I wish they would have said how rare it was going to be. I wasn’t expecting this level of rarity for something people had to pay for. I could have at least bought the skins in the gem store and got SOMETHING. Guess that is 50 dollars wasted.

I am literally in the same boat. I am looking at my bank statement and literally can’t believe what magnitude of a mistake I just made spending 50 bucks on this crap. I figured they would be rare, but WE ARE PAYING FOR THIS and to not get a single item is just insulting.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Reginold.8536

Reginold.8536

Well at least if any of you play League of Legends, we get some really awesome-looking skins that we DON’T have to pray and hope to get from a stupid chest that drops more stupid tonics that you want to throw away but can’t because then you’ll have to convince yourself that you just wasted a bunch of money. But then, the tonics start to fill up your bank space and you realize you either have to throw them away, be a stupid pig for 5 minutes, or buy a new bank tab

in Halloween Event

PolarTank.5902

i agree with you what get me though is how Anet baited a lot of people. that is all

in Halloween Event

TehPwnerer.7215

You’re welcome.

Unfortunately people spent ungodly amounts of money on keys instead of gold.

Besides that, it would be horrible if they were affordable for everyone because everyone would be running around with the same skins.

The actual problem here is the variety of the skins: there is only one per weapon type. Because there are so few skins available, the rarity for these has to be high enough for them to be even unique and enjoyable in the first place.

In the future, ANet should attempt to add more of a variety of items for those willing to spend money on these events. This way, the chance of getting any specific item will be very low, but there will be plenty of other items to get.

If taken into enough consideration, they could add tiers to the rarity, so everyone could have their generic holiday items, and the lucky/rich ones will have valuable items worth something to the community.

Hey guy. Not sure if you played GW1 but everyone was able to come by the Holiday items in GW1. So yes, everyone was running around with the free festive items during the holidays. What a shock. It’s about fun, not being special elitist snowflakes.

I’d be fine with tiers of rarity, that way you can figure if you spend the real cash on it you would get something better than free. Which is what I expected.

in Halloween Event

matt.8960

Incoming thread lock/deletion with no real explanation other than a terse reply.

in Halloween Event

spencerharrison.8136

I actually WANTED to pay Anet some money. I said to my friend who plays “You know, I’ve definitely gotten 60 bucs out of this game and I don’t have a problem throwing a few more out for some fun holiday stuff.”

LOLLLLLLLLL

Fair enough Anet. Fair enough.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: tomlin.8204

tomlin.8204

Yes exactly this. I didn’t play GW1 but I did play some awfuly greedy F2P games. Hated how they preyed on the weak with absolutely no remorse. I was under the impression that GW2 would be different to this, with the whole “forget everything you know about MMO’s, we’re doing things differently here” spiel. I knew I was being naive. I knew it would be the same. They got rid of a concrete Trinity blah blah blah, but that sucker-punch gamble is still right there.

Look at how unhappy your customers are, Anet. What say you?

“meta” this, “meta” that. Please stop saying the word “meta”.

in Halloween Event

TehPwnerer.7215

Messed up. Really messed up. Totally not part of their design philosophy and has destroyed my enthusiasm way more than I would have thought possible.
kitten Just… kitten

Same. I was so psyched for this event and now I really want nothing to do with it. I really thought Anet was better than this.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Wrei Mors Les.8406

Wrei Mors Les.8406

Reading thru this thread I dunno whats worse: losing gamblers demanding a refund or the cynical people gloating over the suffering of these pitiful losing gamblers. No seriously, some of you make me sick. If we were talking about legendary precursors, I’d have little sympathy for their crying loses of 1000s of gold (at least you could afford to lose that much) but at least admire their persistence in dumping so much gold. But this is Halloween! A time where we are so fortunate to be able to celebrate, a time to relax. Most of us play this game to get away from the mundanity of everyday life. While RNG is an effective gold sink, I am pretty apprehensive about its effects on encouraging gambling habits while not actually proving the end rewards of real gambling. At least a lottery or the races gives back REAL MONEY. How on earth can you be so heartless to equate it to time limited acquisition cosmetic festive virtual items that people are going to use on themselves anyway (since drop chances probably won’t allow any real surplus to enter the TP or else be listed for ridiculous prices)? The reason for festive items is to enjoy on the festival and at least easily available for almost all participants. To say otherwise is like saying you should make kids flip a coin x100 times and only give out candy if it lands heads 75+ times only to laugh in their faces when they lose (you-heartless B******s). You don’t want to hand out candy? Fine, at least we appreciate your honesty. Don’t try to diguise the hoop jumping in what is effectively feeding a gambler’s addiction. l at least I know what I am getting buying a GW1 festive costume.

And once again, don’t you dare gloat about the poor misfortune of the poor gamblers or don’t you understand that quote about me getting away from the mundanities of life.

PS: still in office (Oceanic timezone) before the ‘patch’, have yet to exprience festival but already checking the forums for the update, and festival status before going home to enjoy the event. Reading about the abysmal festival drop rate is becoming a killjoy.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Angelx.1258

Angelx.1258

Just opened like 25 chests… not even a single themed item… I feel sad ..

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

I dont understand all the hate. You guys shouldve known what you were getting into by investing in chests. I’m having a lot of fun carving pumpkins and costume brawling while youre moaning on the forums about how you didnt win the lottery.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Silvard.3469

Silvard.3469

Opened around 80 chests. No weapon skins at all. The skins are already going for at least 40g on the TP, but we all know that’s just going to get more expensive.

This isn’t fun nor is it rewarding.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Cod Eye.1632

Cod Eye.1632

Personally I think its disgusting, Colin wants to man up and talk to their fans and players about how players have spent a fortune on chests and not got any Halloween event items.

They claim to be gamers that enjoy making and playing games, I’m beginning to think the games they enjoy playing are in the casino.

I’ve always supported Anet in the past, but this game with all its lottery ideas is losing my faith in the company. I’m seeing nothing but pure greed and preying on players obsession on wanting something nice for their character.

“Hey I swung a sword, Hey Hey I swung a sword again,”

“After several hours I’m still swinging this sword with1 lodestone drop”

in Halloween Event

Posted by: SquirrelKing.8964

SquirrelKing.8964

I would never spend money on this stuff, but I feel really bad for everyone who did. Fronting money for something like this should at least provide you with a reward. So what if everyone who has paid money has Halloween skins? I won’t. The other players who don’t have money for it won’t either. If you’re going to pay money for a sparkle pony, they should give you a sparkle pony.

in Halloween Event

TehPwnerer.7215

I actually WANTED to pay Anet some money. I said to my friend who plays “You know, I’ve definitely gotten 60 bucs out of this game and I don’t have a problem throwing a few more out for some fun holiday stuff.”

LOLLLLLLLLL

Fair enough Anet. Fair enough.

Same here. I look like a stupid idiot now because of what I did and all of my friends are just LOLing at the fact that I spent almost the price of a new copy of the game on gems to support Anet and got literally nothing back.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Clever.7918

Clever.7918

DO NOT buy keys. They are a waste of money. I had 3 keys i got from map completions and opened 2 skins. My friend used 15 keys bought with money and got NO skins. Prolly could of kept going and got nothing. This is really bad and im not convinced to spend cash on these keys.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

It sucks but anet didn’t say guaranteed items for everyone… It’s still luck just like mf and getting good loot… Can’t ask for money back or something when u decided to pay for it and clearly u weren’t very lucky :S

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Esrever.8613

Esrever.8613

I bought 10 keys for 900 gems which costed me about 15 gold and got a shoulder skin. Not too bad but I would have liked it to have been something nicer. Either way I think the drop rate is a bit low but still tolerable. Seems like a 1% chance to get a weapon.

There are other halloween related goodies, don’t need to all fixate on the skins inside the creates. I guess these will be like unusual in tf2, probably will be worth like $30 each when everything leverages out.

sllaw eht no nettirw gnihtemos saw ecno ereht

in Halloween Event

TehPwnerer.7215

“This isn’t fun or rewarding”. Couldn’t have said it better myself. 50$ on keys, 10g on some more keys, not 1 item. What fun!

in Halloween Event

spencerharrison.8136

Here’s hoping they do something to remedy this. I can personally say without question Anet will have a much harder time prying non expansion money away from me now.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Prothescar.7842

Prothescar.7842

Guess I’ll be playing the GW1 Halloween Event instead… was planning on both, but why would I bother spending $30~$50 to get all of the costumes and some tonics and stuff in GW2 when I can get almost all of it for free in GW1 and have even more fun with the event…? Dropped the ball big time here ANet, and it’s a real shame.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: lcpdragonslayer.7895

lcpdragonslayer.7895

Reading this at work knowing that I’ll be patching overnight. By tomorrow morning gem to gold ratio will probably have gone back to normalish so it wouldn’t be worth it to convert gems to gold to buy the skins I want. Really disappointed. I quit Nexon games because of this kind of ‘pay for a 1% chance’ to get something approach to their cash shop and this feels no different.

I had thought about buying gems to get keys for this event, and I’d have been happy to pay for it if the chance of getting skins was actually decent, but that’s not going to happen after reading all these posts. We don’t do Halloween here but I was under the impression it was supposed to be about lots of candy and lots of fun. This just seems like a whole lot of frustration and misery.

I’m sure the skins aren’t the only thing in the event but it was definitely a big one. Knowing that a lot of players might only want to play around with the skin for the Halloween period – I don’t predict to see everyone running around with scythes and chainsaws a few months from now when the event gets old or when there’s new stuff for Christmas – why make it so difficult to obtain?

in Halloween Event

TehPwnerer.7215

Guess I’ll be playing the GW1 Halloween Event instead… was planning on both, but why would I bother spending $30~$50 to get all of the costumes and some tonics and stuff in GW2 when I can get almost all of it for free in GW1 and have even more fun with the event…? Dropped the ball big time here ANet, and it’s a real shame.

Good on you. I am doing the GW1 one now and having fun not spending the price of a brand new Xbox or PC game in the process. And I am going to get less of a reward for the 50$ I just spent in GW1 than the 0.00 I will spend in GW1.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ocellaris.8362

Ocellaris.8362

Here is the real problem…

People who spent $50+ on keys and got nothing are not likely to spend that muckittens again. This is a trick that only works once. Even hardcore gamblers stop taking chances if they don’t feel they will ever win.

If you ever watch people buying scratch tickets, they usually keep buying scratch tickets on a regular basis. This is because scratch tickets usually have a ~1:5 chance of paying back $1. So if they drop $20 on tickets, they win back a few $$$ and go “Aww shucks, at least I got $4 back! I will keep trying”. If those same people kept spending $20 and winning nothing, they would stop wasting $20.

Having the drop rate too low will quickly burn out players who are ready and willing to drop real lift cash into the game economy. Once that group of players moves on, they won’t come back.

(edited by Ocellaris.8362)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: raxx.8914

raxx.8914

Are you able to preview the item before using it?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: kZei.1056

kZei.1056

Have to agree, this is not fun or rewarding (it is for ANet who made an excellent cash grab). ANet isn’t getting anymore money from me and word of mouth does wonders.

in Halloween Event

matt.8960

Here’s hoping they do something to remedy this. I can personally say without question Anet will have a much harder time prying non expansion money away from me now.

They won’t and can’t do anything. It’s not how F2P’s operate which ANet has shown they understand that, even the silent treatment is exactly the same as the others.

The reason they won’t/can’t do anything is that they either have to A) Give away skins to everyone who bought keys, not going to happen or refund everyone who purchased x amount of gems. Neither of which are likely, in fact a response on the issue other than a short “The drop rate is low because they are unique” reply will be highly unlikely.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

Next

You are not guaranteed to receive a rare item after opening a Black Lion Chest. You have a chance to get a unique/rare item. Some people are luckier than others. The Halloween skins are tradeable, so if you aren’t able to get them in a Black Lion Chest, you can obtain them on the Trading Post.

Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra