Day 1 Revenant: Level 1 or Level 80?

in Revenant

Posted by: Kuju.2153

Kuju.2153

I wouldn’t be surprised (or mad) if they restrict the instant 80 boost for the new class, but if they don’t I will definitively use a scroll for sure, but may hold off on using tomes as I haven’t leveled a character now in probably over a year. I’ll be playing it as an alt anyhow, so no rush.

in Revenant

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

I am going to make a Revenant and unlock all the weapon skills + look at all of the utility/traits. If I like it, I’m leveling it to 80 with tomes.

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

in Revenant

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I didn’t go into PvP and earn close to a stack of tomes and a stack of scrolls to not use them. I also didn’t make Ascended armor which can be shared by any prof. on my account to have it sit there unused. I will level to 80 immediately, throw on all ascended gear and go learn to play the class in the new maps. Unless we are getting new starter zones and mid-level zones. Then I will level it up partially the old-fashioned way.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

in Revenant

Posted by: GregEeglas.7032

GregEeglas.7032

Forgive me if I am wrong but isn’t Revenant a specialization for a Warrior? I am sure you don’t reroll from lvl 1 once you are 80.

Same as druid is a specialization for a Ranger.

in Revenant

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Forgive me if I am wrong but isn’t Revenant a specialization for a Warrior? I am sure you don’t reroll from lvl 1 once you are 80.

Nope. Flat out stated as a new class.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

in Revenant

Posted by: Lindelle.3718

Lindelle.3718

no this is an entirely new profession

Edit: Oops, Palador beat me to it

Lindelle Ulfsvitr – Norn Ranger
“Walk with the pack. In the eyes of Wolf, we are all brothers and sisters.”

in Revenant

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Considering how terrible the NPE is im going to be lvling using tomes and scrolls as much as possible. Unfortunately i dont have that many tomes so i will probably only get to about lvl 40.

You can learn a class fine at lvl 80. You just have to actually read and try out the skills. :P

Really, with the exception of the portion of the PS between level 70 and 80 that they screwed up, which they’re fixing, the NPE is no where near as bad as most make it out to be. I’m on my second go through with it and I can still level up just the way I did before for the most part, it doesn’t crimp my style at all.

in Revenant

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I’m planning to fastlevel with scroll and tomes. Don’t need my hand held by the NPE – I’m not one.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Revenant

Posted by: Hollow.9758

Hollow.9758

I’ll level the “hard” way.

It’s nice to see player’s that can still ‘appreciate the journey’ rather than always trying to get straight to the ‘destination’.

By Odins fine whiskers!
27-inch, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB, OS X 10.8.2

in Revenant

Posted by: IIvIIozzie.9250

IIvIIozzie.9250

For those who have the scrolls and tomes, you could make a level 1 and, after the tutorial, level a character to level 80 in a matter of a minute or so of clicking.

After the tutorial?
Deluxe edition -> bank access in the tutorial -> instant lvl 80 -> 1 shot tutorial boss

HA! That’s a great idea. I’ve got enough tomes to make two 80’s, I’m definitely going this route. I wouldn’t mind leveling new professions the old way but that’s what these tomes are made for, as long as I have tons of them I might as well use them as intended.

in Revenant

Posted by: Derigar.7810

Derigar.7810

Can anyone tell me how to get Tomes of Knowledge in bulk? I want to level it to level 60 so I can at least get all WP’s the fast way without dying constantly in the higher level area’s.

in Revenant

Posted by: Letifer.4360

Letifer.4360

If it’s the same PS, I’ll likely actually use the lvl20 boost too, if it’s a new region or even an entirely different PS, gonna do it from scratch.

1-20 is ‘how to play the game’ anyways.

Personal story is tied with race not class, it will be the same story as always.

I would agree with you, but it depends on how they want to handle “I became a revenant” since it’s absolutely and specifically mentioned that Rytlock is the first and his apothesis is much much after the normal PS.

They don’t explain how you get to be any of the classes during the personal story.

in Revenant

Posted by: DoomKnightMax.6592

DoomKnightMax.6592

I’m going to start farming scrolls just to avoid leveling. PvE and EoTM is mind numbly boring and the new NPE system makes it even harder to put up with farming experience. The rush to end game is real!

in Revenant

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

If it’s the same PS, I’ll likely actually use the lvl20 boost too, if it’s a new region or even an entirely different PS, gonna do it from scratch.

1-20 is ‘how to play the game’ anyways.

Personal story is tied with race not class, it will be the same story as always.

I would agree with you, but it depends on how they want to handle “I became a revenant” since it’s absolutely and specifically mentioned that Rytlock is the first and his apothesis is much much after the normal PS.

They don’t explain how you get to be any of the classes during the personal story.

It’s not relevant to other stories; All the classes existed before the fall of Zhaitan. The revenant, in comparison, did not.

Game trumps all other factors, so they might just ignore that part, but it’s certainly not a given.

in Revenant

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Run out of all my tombs etc so I will simply craft this new profession to 80 which I have no problems with as I used tombs to 80 for my first ever Warrior and I slowly got the jist of things. I’m certain I will have a similar learning experience this time too.

I probably would’ve leveled the ‘normal’ way but I dislike how the new system works in regards to traits and stuff.

I’m torn on what to do first though haha.. Revenant or see these new Spec things with other classes.

in Revenant

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

After the tutorial?
Deluxe edition -> bank access in the tutorial -> instant lvl 80 -> 1 shot tutorial boss

You heard of pre-searing lvl 20s in gw1?

This is pre-out-of-tutorial lvl 80s in gw2.

:D

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

in Revenant

Posted by: Star.8401

Star.8401

People who speed level aren’t going to have as good a grip on the class, and especially not as good a grip on the more unusual skills.

not true, its probably even quicker to grasp the class instantly at 80, with gear, and being able to test all the skills and traits; while you are busy leveling from level 1. Enjoy that

in Revenant

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

well since i dont know the class at all (obviosly) i gonna level it the…npe way BUT i gonna use tomes from lvl 40 on to 80…40 levels are good enough to grasp the basic idea on how stuff works id say

in Revenant

Posted by: Spoj The Second.7680

Spoj The Second.7680

Considering how terrible the NPE is im going to be lvling using tomes and scrolls as much as possible. Unfortunately i dont have that many tomes so i will probably only get to about lvl 40.

You can learn a class fine at lvl 80. You just have to actually read and try out the skills. :P

Really, with the exception of the portion of the PS between level 70 and 80 that they screwed up, which they’re fixing, the NPE is no where near as bad as most make it out to be. I’m on my second go through with it and I can still level up just the way I did before for the most part, it doesn’t crimp my style at all.

Well as someone who has played since beta. I find not having access to so many things incredibly frustrating.

Also the new trait scavenging thing for new characters is hell for someone like me. It might of been fun at game release. But now i have no desire to do more exploration for alts to get their traits (Ive done 2 map completions and the 2nd was boring and very forced). I struggle to have the skill point scrolls to just flat out buy them. A couple of my less played 80’s still dont have all their new grandmaster traits. And my 2 newest characters which were created after the NPE was introduced have only the traits i needed. If it was something for first time characters or something vets could opt out of for alts i wouldnt mind so much.

(edited by Spoj The Second.7680)

in Revenant

Posted by: IIvIIozzie.9250

IIvIIozzie.9250

Can anyone tell me how to get Tomes of Knowledge in bulk? I want to level it to level 60 so I can at least get all WP’s the fast way without dying constantly in the higher level area’s.

I’m not sure of the fastest way but I’d say SPVP is really easy. I’ve been playing to get a full glorious armor set and I’ve received tons of tomes and scrolls this way.

in Revenant

Posted by: Derigar.7810

Derigar.7810

I’m not sure of the fastest way but I’d say SPVP is really easy. I’ve been playing to get a full glorious armor set and I’ve received tons of tomes and scrolls this way.

Thanks! Will give it a shot.

in Revenant

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

i have 102 tomes. i will use them immediately, and get lvl 80 in 5 minutes of playing revenant. then i’ll hunt for the traits. lol.

EDIT :

actually, i just remember that i still have the birthday gift that shoot you to lvl 20… will use that too.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in Revenant

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I’ll use my lvl 20 scroll then level the normal way. It’s unfortunate that leveling scrolls exist though. We are going to have tons of lvl 80 revenants that have no idea how to use their class who will flood the forum with complaints that the class is broken. They will be shunned from groups because most people don’t know how to use them and then the people that actually know how to play the class will get shafted.

in Revenant

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

Level 20 scroll.
+ Crafting
+ Ambient grind fest.
+ Level 70 -80 using ToK

Hopefully we get another double XP weekend and I’m able to power level him up quickly.

in Revenant

Posted by: Jade Arkadian.9280

Jade Arkadian.9280

I will probably insta level to 80. I personally dont like the NPE and above that i want to get rid of some thoses tomes siting in my bank . Then i’ll run all accross the personal story while learning how the class works

in Revenant

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I’ll level the “hard” way.

It’s nice to see player’s that can still ‘appreciate the journey’ rather than always trying to get straight to the ‘destination’.

I don’t enjoy playing with only three skills because ArenaNet has decided that new players can’t handle more than that. ArenaNet has outright said that the NPE isn’t intended for veterans, and given the choice, I’ll bypass it.

(I did enjoy levelling my current crop of eight 80s the normal way, but that was before the NPE when you got close to your full set of abilities a LOT faster.)

I might reconsider if the situation changes, but since you can play a level 80 anywhere, I’m somewhat inclined to do just that – fastlevel at least far enough that I’m playing with a full skillbar, and then start working through content.

sPvP gives out a lot.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Revenant

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

People who speed level aren’t going to have as good a grip on the class, and especially not as good a grip on the more unusual skills.

not true, its probably even quicker to grasp the class instantly at 80, with gear, and being able to test all the skills and traits; while you are busy leveling from level 1. Enjoy that

Except that there are skills you’re all but forced to use that you never would otherwise due to the way you have to spend skillpoints.

Similarly, there are traits that you’ll use because of the way the unlock system works now, it pretty much forces you to experiment and really learn the ins and outs of the 1 point skills.

in Revenant

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

If there are brand new maps to level in from level 1 to 80 then I think I will use a level 20 scroll then tomes to level 31 to get my elites. If I have to level in the old maps then it will be an instant level 80.

Edit: I’ve started leveling a new char since I wrote that and I’ve changed my mind. Instant level 80 for me.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

in Revenant

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Well, shucks, if Rytlock can go and change professions, why not us?

The table is a fable.

in Revenant

Posted by: oscuro.9720

oscuro.9720

I’m preparing. As an all WvW player, I am only worried about 80. I have 59 levels of times, and I’m planing on having a full 80 by the time it releases
If they pre-release the weapon skills and traits, I’m probably going to pre-craft armor.

in Revenant

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

After the tutorial?

You heard of pre-searing lvl 20s in gw1?

This is pre-out-of-tutorial lvl 80s in gw2.

:D

are they going to give title for that? :P
“The Hero of Shaemoor”… oh wait.

[PS. there used to be title “The Hero of Ascalon” for getting level 20 in pre-sea
ring]

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in Revenant

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I’m one of those “crazy” people who actually enjoys the leveling process, so I’ll be taking my time.

I might use a level 20 scroll to start just because it seems like the early levels are the absolute worst in terms of restricting things, but after that, I’ll be leveling up the usual way, doing zone completion and personal story and the like.

That does mean that it’ll probably take me quite a while before my Revenant hits level 80, though, considering I’ll probably be spending most of my time with my existing 80’s and experiencing the new areas, masteries, specializations, ect.

in Revenant

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

Become Hero of Shaemoor, scroll up to level 20 then Tomes to level 80. Transfer ascended gear and whichever legends he can use from my warrior, then it’s time to rock the jungle!

in Revenant

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

1st thing I intend to do his roll revenant, pop a lvl 20 scroll, eat 60 tomes of knowledge and eat as many skill pts, plus spend as much gold as it takes to unlock every trait, skill and then off to the Maguma Jungle to learn hang gliding…

in Revenant

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

New human character, starting from scratch, no tomes, no shortcuts.

It’s a new class, I want learning it to be fun, not rushed.

in Revenant

Posted by: TazzDeMazz.4716

TazzDeMazz.4716

If you don’t lvl oldschool you’re not hardcore. :p

in Revenant

Posted by: Pheppo.9286

Pheppo.9286

This will be really fun … when the new expansion starts u will see a gazillion new revenants leveling up

Anyway good chance for me to start a charr … the only race i dont have atm.
Will use the +20 lvl tome for this one. from 1-20 its really hard … no skills and no weapons

Server: Riverside [DE]
Chars: The fluffy Flapsi (Ele), Fipsip (Mesmer), Flappo (Necro), Fenix (Engi)

in Revenant

Posted by: PSX.9250

PSX.9250

I’ll use a level 20 scroll and i have tons of xp/birthday/celebration boosters and junk.

in Revenant

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

If the current trait system is still in use when the expansion launches, I will not go through the pain of acquiring them again through playing → I will buy them asap. Other than that, I might want to raise my character level the old fashioned way by playing.

Please reconsider the trait system… It’s such a pita.

in Revenant

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I got lots of tomes and level 20 scrolls… I have leveled a few chars from 1-80 without using them becouse I take the opertunity to learn my class, explore and gain traits while enjoying the game. If I would level to 80 I would feel forced to go “hunt” for all traits, to uncover parts of maps where I havent been but I have to go now with my guild for example. I don’t get it why some people think levels is so important in this game becouse with levels you still have to do alot of other stuff. But if I got money and I am planning on just going WvW with that character I would have buffed him/her to level 80 and buy all traits I need, but as I am a PvE/PvP player I rather take it slow but sure.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

in Revenant

Posted by: PurebladeProductions.4875

PurebladeProductions.4875

Since I actually like leveling, I’ll level from 1-80 the regular way. That’s how I’ve done all my characters so far, even after the NPE.

Pureblade – Maelstrom Warriors [MW] – Gandara (EU)
8/9 Professions, Asura Guardian main.

in Revenant

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

Max and then learn. Probably to 40-50 with the tomes I have atm. I haven’t got the nerves to spam 1 for ages until skill no.2 is unlocked. NPE killed joy in leveling, but luckily, there are other ways.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

in Revenant

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I’m definitely toming straight to 80. I mean, I have hundreds of these things, and if I won’t use them when a new class comes out, I’ll never use them.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in Revenant

Posted by: Urosh Uchiha.9732

Urosh Uchiha.9732

Since I’m sitting on a stack of tomes I will use them on him. I don’t believe in the “I want to level it the hard way cause I want to learn the class”. You only truly learn the class once you hit the level cap and have everything available to you.

in Revenant

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Already got so many 80s, why should I rush a new profession where I’d rather take my time to learn it from the ground up…

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Revenant

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Step 1: Pop an Instant-20 Birthday scroll to get past all of the most intolerable parts of the NPE rubbish.

Step 2: Level normally until bored.

Step 3: Level Tomes.

in Revenant

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Oh, you play how I want kids…

Because you can’t learn a toon @ lvl 80 doesn’t mean others can’t.

Bcause you enjoy the leveling and NPE process doesn’t mean others do.

Each to their own.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Revenant

Posted by: Smitty.9432

Smitty.9432

I learn a class best by playing it in endgame content, so I’ll most likely tome it to around level 70 and run dungeons and map cursed shore and whatnot to get it to 80. By then I should have a basic understanding of the class and will start using it for wvw, pvp, etc.

in Revenant

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

It’s also quite possible revs have a new fast track leveling area for them only.

It would be very weird to introduce a new prof and expect people to do something that involves no lore like use tomes.

I’m hoping for a revenant specific starter instance instead of the standard racial starting instances (like Shaemoor Village etc), maybe a bit longer than the standard racial ones that explains your superdupernatural origins but, if they do add a longer revenant starting instance, I expect that leaving it we’ll be no more than level 10 or so.

I’ll just level up normally then, I like levelling in this game, although I didn’t particularly enjoy levelling my last character with the way trait points are distributed now I’m hoping those are the kind of things they’ll adjust in the expansion pack patch.

in Revenant

Posted by: Getefix.9150

Getefix.9150

in the announcement they built up to it by saying its for new players too, something extra for them (probably to entice people to buy gw2 with the expansion) so unless you have tomes, its old fashioned levelling and i think its more fun

“Nothing is true, Everything is permitted”

Kiel Replacement Movement