From the eyes of a veteran

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

… what you’re saying is every time a company drops a price on something for someone, they should give you something else. …

Personally, I would be satisfied with getting the SAME thing new players are getting. Give me a core game AND an expansion and I will shut up and give them my money. However, I object to being asked to pay the same $50 for only the expansion. (Unless I want to start over from zero.)

Alternatively, if they offered compensation besides the core game “bonus” to veterans, I would also be satisfied. I just want my money to go as far as a new player’s money. I think that would be fair.

(edited by Kumion.7580)

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

I disagree with the original poster in one thing, i’m not fine with 45€ for this. Its not worth that much.
But even so i might buy it, even buy Deluxe or Ultimate if they didn’t compound an excessive price with the slap in the face of offering the base game for free, but only to a select few. A select few who, until now, have never supported arena net, who didn’t spend a dime on them, who didn’t make the Core game a awesome success, and the expansion possible. That was US, the old players. And did we get anything that would even up the price tags?
No. We got a hefty price tag, we got no character slot on standard, and we got to see other people get the core game for free as an added bonus for their not caring for Anet up till now.
I mean if there was better value to the game, i would be ok with it. If there was a choice of getting the core game for free, or a pack of useful stuff for older players (like a character slot, and/or a couple hundred gems would probably do it) that would probably even the score and add some value to the game.

… what you’re saying is every time a company drops a price on something for someone, they should give you something else. …

Personally, I would be satisfied with getting the SAME thing new players are getting. Give me a core game AND an expansion and I will shut up and give them my money. However, I object to being asked to pay the same $50 for only the expansion. (Unless I want to start over from zero.)

Alternatively, if they offered compensation besides the core game “bonus” to veterans, I would also be satisfied. I just want my money to go as far as a new player’s money. I think that would be fair.

Pretty much this.

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

…Very common promotional crap in the retail world today.

Actually, Dish and DirectTV do this type of promotional crap all the time. Great package offers with great pricing, but you can only get it if you’re not already a customer.

I’m seeing this argument a lot, lately. It’s true that service providers like TV and phone companies offer sweeter deals to new customers all the time. However, if old customers call them and say, “Hey, I got this postcard for a new customer deal and it’s a lot less expensive than what I pay now, but I’m happy with my service…” They will absolutely give the old customer a better deal. Good service providers know the benefits of keeping their customers.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

…Very common promotional crap in the retail world today.

Actually, Dish and DirectTV do this type of promotional crap all the time. Great package offers with great pricing, but you can only get it if you’re not already a customer.

I’m seeing this argument a lot, lately. It’s true that service providers like TV and phone companies offer sweeter deals to new customers all the time. However, if old customers call them and say, “Hey, I got this postcard for a new customer deal and it’s a lot less expensive than what I pay now, but I’m happy with my service…” They will absolutely give the old customer a better deal. Good service providers know the benefits of keeping their customers.

Sometimes they will, from my experience, not usually. The 3rd party providers one typically has to go through in my area absolutely will not. If the promotion says new customers only, and you are not a new customer, oh well for you. I have called Dish customer service directly a couple of times regarding a couple of their promotions and been shot down as well. Since I have a decent bundle currently (and don’t really watch much tv) it’s not a big deal to me. My father on the other hand, he switches back and forth between the two providers every 2 years when his contract expires so he can get those deals.

And we won’t even discuss Comcast….

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

And if you get a character slot everyone who purchased the core game with it for free complains about getting treated worse again…
And if everyone gets one you’d still cry about the core game.

How are they treated worse? You’re talking nonsense.
They are getting a core game whose value was set at a nominal 40 euros, 20 or 10 during sales.

Just admit you want to nitpick.

They have been promised to get it for free.
So if you get a gift they are treated worse.

They are treated equal, they consider it worse because before that they were treated better.
Jeez.

You can’t do it that way.
They said you get the game as a free bonus if you are new and the expansion is 50$.
So if you get something like a character slot people would be kittened again because now it’s them who have to pay extra for that.

You have to handle it like A-Net said it. Not like they meant it. (Just like the FAQ problem)

And they could make the same deal here, -We hear you guys veterans get a character slot for free…
If you say now that the new players can argue then your admiting that the veterans have a case.

(edited by Linken.6345)

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

I think it’s simpler than all that: an expac that adds a new class ought to come with a char slot included by default. that’s just common sense and basic respect for your customers.

imagine buying a new car and having to pay extra for the wheels?

course there’s also the deception of saying you need the core game for the expac, then selling the core game at a discount, then editing the FAQ to say core game not required for expac and bundling it….

downed state is bad for PVP

Posted by: GeekDavid.2786

GeekDavid.2786

As I said, my concerns are not new players getting the game for cheap, or in this case, free. My concern is arena net catering to new players while leaving the veterans out. I support bringing in new players. I don’t support leaving your loyall customers in the dark

As I just posted on another thread, this reminds me of when they redid the progression of new characters in the early levels. The reason I heard — which I freely admit might have been wrong, but it fits perfectly with the changes made — was that they were doing it to make it easier for new players. In other words, nerfing vets to make newbies happy.

Now here they are doing it again. Is it any wonder many vets — I said many, not all vets, so kindly don’t come around here accusing me of putting words in your mouth — are up in arms about the repeated overvaluing of new players and undervaluing of veteran players?

GeekDavid.2786

Here’s another way to look at it.

You go to the pub and order kitten beer.

10min later they run a special, $2 for a beer.

Are you mad? No you buy another beer or keep drinking what you have.

They announce a celebration deal that if you bought a beer that day you can also get a burger for $5.

The kitchen opens and the pub starts selling $5 burgers with a free beer instead.

Someone walks in and buys a burger and gets a beer.

You walk up and order a burger, but you don’t get a beer because you already bought one that day.

Are you mad?

A very good way of putting it, sir. I only regret I only have one +1 to give to it.

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

I think that selling the Core game bundled with the HoT expansion is a good idea. I think that it will cut down on confusion and help new players to get into the game. However, I think that there should be some perk for already existing accounts.(Maybe a couple of choices from a pre-selected list of gem store items?)
And I think that everyone should be getting an extra slot: new class = extra slot. The GW1 games did it, and it was the right thing to do. So the base numbers of slots shipping with GW2/HoT bundle is 6 for new accounts, and already existing accounts get 1 slot added. I think this would have avoided a good bit of the unpleasantness that we’re seeing in reaction to the HoT pre-order bundles.(Certainly not all of it, or even most of it. But a good bit of it)

re: “putting words in other people’s mouths” – The subject is: “From the eyes of a veteran.” And the OP opens with the sentence: “I’m just going to give you all my opinion on the “veteran entitlement mentality” as some people have called it, and the overall price of the expansion+ what comes with it.”
(I added the bold for emphasis) Clearly the OP is not trying to speak for anyone else. Also note that the original post has not been edited, so the wording has not been changed.

Posted by: DaveyC.4398

DaveyC.4398

You know what. I am a veteran, been playing since since gw1. I was there for all the gw2 betas. I have spent a kitten load in the gem store and have 2 stacks of mystery tonics to show for it.

I don’t care that they are giving the base game away. New players are getting an incentive old players have had their money’s worth.

There will be exceptions in between I.e. Recent sales and I am sure they will be sorted in due course.

The core game is nearly 3 years old. If they want to give it away, that is there choice m. Deal with it.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

They could have used some other things to encourage players to buy the more expensive packages and given all the bundles a char slot. So many would have been happy with this.

Posted by: Hammersmash Ureface.2650

Hammersmash Ureface.2650

from this vet – i actually had my mind set on this expansion for a while – gw2 is pretty much my main game and has been for years…i don’t watch tv lol.

I didn’t want to get excited about it ( though i really did want to get excited because I always have been ) But i did not allow myself to get excited about it because I’ve felt a lot of let downs that started making the game more painful than a moment of relaxation. Example, I’m a pvp’r ….I enjoy specifically wvw – the pvp area seems too knee-jerk reaction for me to consider competitive ….but wvw is just fun running with a zerg, you can hear me singing “Born free” at any given time when rolling with my crew….

but then they brought ascended weapons that you have to grind for to get the best stats FORCING me to pve – I was all wvw ….and the video said “Play as you want” …well I want to play with the best stats / equal to everyone else playing with best stats in wvw. “There’s no grind” – I had to grind to get a grandmaster, then grind to get the mats or money to buy mats to make ascended weapons, and still grinding for about another 15 years to get one character all ascended. Fractals are not play as I want, because I’m tired of waiting 40 hours to put together a team where one person kicks you out for any given reason, that’s stupid and antisocial and I’m here to relax, but anet seemed to have their own agenda and anything I tried to say got flagged on the forum….fine , I just said whatever and now roam the game like some drone trying to find anything fun i can do with random pug groups while farming mats…

join guilds they said, i joined many, all either died or run by some wanna be gawd that wanted to dictate your every gaming moment. The 2 coolest guilds I ever joined are now dead – 2 lists of 450 players each totally grayed out …gone. I stayed in them hoping one day an event ..such as this, that ended up dissing vets, would bring them back. but forget that now….

but i digress…

I look at the upgrade price for hot ….and i’m like whoa 50 bucks ….my boys must need money …hrmmm…….then I see that to get 1 slot ….I need to spend 25 bucks more to get junk i dont use and means nothing to anyone else looking at me ….I’m all about stats not fluff. so my concern is a good account to hold items i use with best stats and mats to make em. not no mini that’s going to stand by me as i die in wvw ….no…just no….

but does my voice matter on the forum, ….no …just no..

so anyways…..I see they are making a campaign for new members …and I’m like …yep …they need money

but wait …..they quietly changes faqs………vets have to spend 25 extra bucks more to get just 1 slot …..the forum is in an uproar and they aren’t saying anything, just quietly shutting down threads ….

suddenly…..i went from feeling like my boys needed funding, to feeling like a lab rat with some alien guys in white coats wondering what my financial pain threshold is …..

so, i’m starting to think, body snatchers here ……this isn’t the team I originally supported….and something suspect is going on……. yeah i like guidwars a lot ….

can i have my original team back please ? i have no idea who these new guys are running the show. yeah your game looks great, just like 50 others do too. What made it all special was the og gw team ….where’d they go ? 50 bucks is a lot of money to pay for bug hunting, and no character slot ….my guys wouldn’t have tried to play me like that …and they knew i was ready to buy anything from the shop in gw1….

my own personal #hotgate conspiracy theory – they’ve been invaded by aliens.

This in so many ways.

Since GW1 – [MLM] – Meeting of the Lost Minds

Posted by: Genei.7502

Genei.7502

Here’s another way to look at it.

You go to the pub and order kitten beer.

10min later they run a special, $2 for a beer.

Are you mad? No you buy another beer or keep drinking what you have.

They announce a celebration deal that if you bought a beer that day you can also get a burger for $5.

The kitchen opens and the pub starts selling $5 burgers with a free beer instead.

Someone walks in and buys a burger and gets a beer.

You walk up and order a burger, but you don’t get a beer because you already bought one that day.

Are you mad?

A very good way of putting it, sir. I only regret I only have one +1 to give to it.

Thanks! I was afraid my posts were invisible or something.
Perhaps my points are too logical to argue with and that’s why they are ignored.

(edit and for some reason the forums are replacing the first ‘$5 beer’ with ‘kitten beer’)

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: for some reason the forums are replacing the first ‘$5 beer’ with ‘kitten beer’ – I think it’s replacing “a five dollar beer” with “kitten beer” because of what the letter “a” followed by two characters that somewhat resemble “s” (kinda) spells. It’s a workaround way to write swear words. I use an “_” to separate letters/words/etc… when the swear filter changes them: a _ 5$ beer

Posted by: Jaetara.4075

Jaetara.4075

I am happy for the new players getting that offer, cause it is easier to try the game when it is cheap and it is nice to have more people in the game we love. The problem is that the expansion’s size is too small for that amount of money so it seams like a good price for the new players, but an unfair deal for us. Yes ofc we played the game all this years and got some free content (seasonal events, living world 1) that the new players will never see, but we also invested a lot of money on Gem Store and supported the company!

The price should be lower or we should get more for that amount of money!

Posted by: Genei.7502

Genei.7502

re: for some reason the forums are replacing the first ‘$5 beer’ with ‘kitten beer’ – I think it’s replacing “a five dollar beer” with “kitten beer” because of what the letter “a” followed by two characters that somewhat resemble “s” (kinda) spells. It’s a workaround way to write swear words. I use an “_” to separate letters/words/etc… when the swear filter changes them: a _ 5$ beer

ah yeah that makes sense now. Thanks!

GeekDavid.2786

Gotta love automatic filtering.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Except they they’ve been selling that game for $10 multiple times already, so OP, how did you feel that thousands of people (probably more) bought it for $10?

And guess how much a character slot is?

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I cannot agree with this point. Maybe “full games” are $50 where you come from. Where I live, they’re $60.

HOT does not contain a free extra character slot, so most players will be forced to buy that as well. Character slots are $10, which brings the total price of the expansion to a neat round number of…. $60.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

Wake me up when I can roll a Revenant for $50 or less without deleting any of my current characters. Until then, all this sound and fury signifies nothing.

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I cannot agree with this point. Maybe “full games” are $50 where you come from. Where I live, they’re $60.

HOT does not contain a free extra character slot, so most players will be forced to buy that as well. Character slots are $10, which brings the total price of the expansion to a neat round number of…. $60.

That means that the core game.. even offered for free. Is at the very least $30.

Thanks for solving that argument.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

actually 39.99 on amazon.com from ncsoft’s page.

so new players get expansion for 10 dollars, ‘old’ players get the expansion only for 50 dollars and have to spend 10 dollars extra for one slot.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

FrizzFreston.5290

actually 39.99 on amazon.com from ncsoft’s page.

so new players get expansion for 10 dollars, ‘old’ players get the expansion only for 50 dollars and have to spend 10 dollars extra for one slot.

No no.

You mean. New players get the expansion + core for 90 dollars (-40 is still 50). Because they would at least need to get 4 character slots to get access to all professions. You only start with 5.

Not to forget the 10-20 dollars or so for living world season 2

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

You mean. New players get the expansion + core for 90 dollars (-40 is still 50). Because they would at least need to get 4 character slots to get access to all professions. You only start with 5.

Well, only the ones that want to play 1 of everything. Not everyone would.

Ricky.4706

i guess it’s all how you want to look at it, 1 plus one = 2 or 1 and 1 = 11 there’s enough #fnord for everyone lol

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

FrizzFreston.5290

Well, only the ones that want to play 1 of everything. Not everyone would.

Then you would also need to drop the argument that the expansion is 50 +10.

Posted by: Lyger.5429

Lyger.5429

To be honest I don’t know why people keep calling the protesters toxic or salty or whatever. Many of the opinions I’ve are quite civil and respectful.

Posted by: meeflak.9714

meeflak.9714

veteran here
i agree with OP
i dont feel like u are speaking in my behalf , but u are understanding why vets are mad
ty

You’re very welcome , and yes, I am not speaking on behalf of all veterans, I’m simply discussing the frustrations

All professions lvl 80. x2 elementalist
main Druid ~~Adalyn Del Rayna~~ [SIGH]
[Ehmry Bay]

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

I seriously couldn’t care less what new players are getting versus what we are getting. Good for them if they get a free game.

I agree with the general opinion that they should absolutely throw in a character slot for everyone, and maybe even an extra bank slot since there might be new items to collect and that will need room in our storage.

However, I think that Arenanet made a huge mistake by announcing the pricing already and starting to take pre-orders. We still know very little about the expansion, and of course we don’t even know the release date of what they’re asking us to pre-purchase. Um, nope. If you’re going to ask me 50$ you’lI have to give me a lot more information about the product.

If they wanted to attract new players I think it would have been wiser to make a super promotion where if you buy (or have recently bought) GW2, you get a 75% cut on the expansion. Or something like that. And keep the pre-purchases for when we actually know the release date and how much new content there’s going to be.

I also think that the editions are lame and uninspired. I purchased the collector’s edition of vanilla GW2 and the bonuses were awesome, but for this expansion it’s going to be the standard edition all the way for me. Sell me a collector’s edition with an art book, a music CD, a making-of DVD, a map or whatever else and I’ll happily buy it, but I’m not interested in paying the premium price to purchase what is basically a gemstore gift card. Completely uninspired and unoriginal.

meeflak.9714

As I said, my concerns are not new players getting the game for cheap, or in this case, free. My concern is arena net catering to new players while leaving the veterans out. I support bringing in new players. I don’t support leaving your loyall customers in the dark

As I just posted on another thread, this reminds me of when they redid the progression of new characters in the early levels. The reason I heard — which I freely admit might have been wrong, but it fits perfectly with the changes made — was that they were doing it to make it easier for new players. In other words, nerfing vets to make newbies happy.

Now here they are doing it again. Is it any wonder many vets — I said many, not all vets, so kindly don’t come around here accusing me of putting words in your mouth — are up in arms about the repeated overvaluing of new players and undervaluing of veteran players?

Agreed completely

[Ehmry Bay]

Ricky.4706

i’m guessing the physical packaging limitations are ncsofts imposed limitations, their quarterly expenses for packaging were extremely low.

meeflak.9714

Let’s please keep the forums on topic, to avoid getting the thread removed please .

[Ehmry Bay]

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Most players, eh? Maybe, maybe not. I wonder how many got slots (with gold or cash) the last time they went on sale and have been sitting on them. I’d bet the number is higher than you think.

Of course, everyone is going to estimate the cost of something based on how much they’ll have to spend to get what they want. Regardless, I’m sorry that you’ve made choices that left you with no slots and are now faced with the prospect of spending cash or gold to get one. Maybe Anet will throw you a bone as a result of all the righteous anger being displayed.

Either way, I’m staying focused on what I see to be the true issue. I see that to be whether the expansion offers enough engaging content to justify its price tag. That’s the only yardstick I’ll be using, and I’m concerned that all the brouhaha about veterans feeling stiffed is distracting attention from a genre-wide trend of developers charging the same or more and producing less quantity — or in the case of some MMO’s, quality.

Posted by: macon.4065

macon.4065

Mee. I think this has a lot to do with that old sentiment that we were feeling when the original Guildwars game shafted us. For those that don’t know – When Guildwars was completed a lot of the things your veteran characters were working on was not brought over to Guildwars 2. That left a feeling that we were good enough over their but here we mean nothing. Now we took this blow and tried to recover even getting some pitiful rewards for all our time on the original Guildwars game.
I’m just not seeing the benefit for this expansion. All I see from the specializations are rinse and repeat of skills that other character classes have. They are also turning all of the classes into Melee classes and shafting the caster class like Elementalist and Necromancer. While the Reaper might look good they are using conditions that don’t really matter or are valuable, The best condition is the bleeding condition and you can see the formulas on WIKI. These specialization have met with a ton of criticism from other sites as well as the community. Some of the sites have even gone so far as to say this might be the end of Guildwars2. I hope that’s not the case but once again we seem to be overlooking the problems in the game for a quick way to make a buck and turning this game into hack and slash. I can’t see spending the money on something that I am really not getting anything out of. They also tried the Guildhalls in the original game and that pretty much was a bust. Can’t see it working here. And let’s also not forget that not everyone out here is PVP or WVW. They aren’t going to care about Guild v Guild (and you get to decide among the 5 you can join). Your loosing the gamers that enjoy PVE. I’m not seeing new dungeons. I’m not seeing anything that would urge me to pay the money.

macon.4065

I want to pipe in this as well. Perhaps a better view of the pricing issue would be to say. Perhaps they should have taken the core game off the expansion. If the original game is going to cheaply from what others are posting then why not just keep it that way. Players would all start out on the same page. The expansion would then be only the new content and perhaps would be a better price as it is something the larger community already has. In this manner you are not shafting anyone.
But at the same time I always felt that fast progression was wrong. Most of the veterans myself included remember all those hours of grinding the adventures in the game and working our way up the ladder one level at a time. This is what made the game fun for me. Really though if you are doing WVW or PVP you don’t need to level as they auto level characters. The fast progression per level actually takes away from the game and I feel sorry for those new folks that take that easy way out your missing the story line from the different races as well as the content of the story. Your taking the cheap way just to race through and get to the same point that we are all struggling now. Let the game be more of a marathon and less of a speed race. Enjoy what you are actually are paying for.

Posted by: Navi.1032

Navi.1032

Personally what I think should happen is for players who buy the expansion (+ base game) and already own the base game they should get an additional 5 character slots on their account.

Think of it like an account merger (two base games and the expansion).

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

Except they they’ve been selling that game for $10 multiple times already, so OP, how did you feel that thousands of people (probably more) bought it for $10?

They haven’t been selling THAT GAME, they have been selling GW2 core to players at 10$.
What do they sell now HoT not GW2 core.
These are two totally different situations.

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

The pre-purchase for GW2 was the same; announced back April 10 with no release date confirmed until mid-June or something… same for the number of features, but ofc it was the core game and we already knew a lot more and that it was worth it… subjectively speaking.

Ofc, HoT will be worth $50 for the expansion and all the work in it covering the time this game needs to develop between now and the next xpac (after LS3 or LS4)…

However – as a veteran I feel disappointed that Anet now kind of expect us to grind out another 10 USD or in-game gold worth the same just to get an extra character slot to play a central feature of HoT.

Yes, we have the same amount of char slots as new players getting the game now, but what does Anet expect… that its 3-year veterans haven’t played their game all this time? They served up a core game with 5 slots and 8 professions, and most have filled their 5 slots by now.

So… new class Revenant is released and now there’s no additional slot to play it. A new player can make 5 Revenants if they want, but most veterans will have no slot to readily play it. They essentially must pay $60 USD to do so, whereas new players pay $50.

“Just grind out the gold, it’s not a big thing” → well, for the sake of that argument, no it’s only grinding in-game, but at the current exchange rate it’s in the vicinity of 100 gold for 800 gems. Does a new player have to spend 100 gold on that? Why is the veteran player base expected to be at this disadvantage.

And having a headstart since HoT announcement to get the gold for that char slot doesn’t cut it; I still am being unfavored by Anet who thinks it’s ok that I should pay for that slot while new players get 5 free slots.

I love it that new players get the core game for free, what a grand gesture!

It’s just a pity Anet don’t pay ANY respect to its veterans who have been through thick and thin with them over the past 3 years.

So disappointing that without this char slot added to the standard edition, I’m about to pack my things.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

FrizzFreston.5290

The pre-purchase for GW2 was the same; announced back April 10 with no release date confirmed until mid-June or something… same for the number of features, but ofc it was the core game and we already knew a lot more and that it was worth it… subjectively speaking.

Ofc, HoT will be worth $50 for the expansion and all the work in it covering the time this game needs to develop between now and the next xpac (after LS3 or LS4)…

However – as a veteran I feel disappointed that Anet now kind of expect us to grind out another 10 USD or in-game gold worth the same just to get an extra character slot to play a central feature of HoT.

Yes, we have the same amount of char slots as new players getting the game now, but what does Anet expect… that its 3-year veterans haven’t played their game all this time? They served up a core game with 5 slots and 8 professions, and most have filled their 5 slots by now.

So… new class Revenant is released and now there’s no additional slot to play it. A new player can make 5 Revenants if they want, but most veterans will have no slot to readily play it. They essentially must pay $60 USD to do so, whereas new players pay $50.

“Just grind out the gold, it’s not a big thing” -> well, for the sake of that argument, no it’s only grinding in-game, but at the current exchange rate it’s in the vicinity of 100 gold for 800 gems. Does a new player have to spend 100 gold on that? Why is the veteran player base expected to be at this disadvantage.

And having a headstart since HoT announcement to get the gold for that char slot doesn’t cut it; I still am being unfavored by Anet who thinks it’s ok that I should pay for that slot while new players get 5 free slots.

I love it that new players get the core game for free, what a grand gesture!

It’s just a pity Anet don’t pay ANY respect to its veterans who have been through thick and thin with them over the past 3 years.

So disappointing that without this char slot added to the standard edition, I’m about to pack my things.

I think new players are still on the lower end of the deal though. There’s a lot they have missed out as wel as needing to pay for things that were free otherwise. Gem conversion used to be really low. I think I bought most my characterslots for like 2 gold early on for example.

In the end the price offer for new players is nothing more than a sale. When certain titles go free to play. Some people have paid the full retail price for those as well. And usually the time things go free to play is barely a year after.

Not to mention that if you played for such a long time without ever buying anything from the gemstore then this “through thick and thin” really doesn’t mean all that much.

But yes. It is indeed mostly disappointing that people who have stuck with the game are mostly seemingly disregarded while new players are thrown all the goodies.
Then again. The marketing department of arenanet is very lacking. This all seems like last minute ideas and very little planning has been done. It doesn’t even seem they thought about it. Its marketing a child would do it imo. It’s just:
1. Base expansion price.
2. Above plus the extra stuff some people always want
3. Above plus something big we don’t have so let’s just do gems for seemingly half the price.
Oh yeah we need something for the people who preorder. Let’s do something simple. kitten a title.
Oh yeah. New player’s will not come with the expansion price that high. So do add the base game. Existing players? Meh they buy it anyway. A title is enough incentive to preorder.

Posted by: ImLegion.4018

ImLegion.4018

Veteran here.
I don’t agree with OP.
Stop speaking on my behalf.
Ty.

I don’t agree with you so stop speaking on my behalf ty.

Piken Square

Posted by: Bearer of Burden.4621

Bearer of Burden.4621

its because arenanet has once again left the veterans out of the loop and made us feel that out continued dedication to there company has gone unappreciated.

You nailed it right there

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

I think new players are still on the lower end of the deal though. There’s a lot they have missed out as wel as needing to pay for things that were free otherwise.

While I agree with the rest of the things you say, there’s that thing again about how veterans are lucky because they haven’t missed out.
Any late comers to a party will always miss out what’s gone before, and unless they were prevented from joining that party by the host, I just don’t feel any compassion or understanding of that.

Those new players arriving now have chosen themselves to play other games, while other veterans and me have supported Anet for the past 3 years. Saying that I have a headstart on them and shouldn’t expect any more from Anet or else be called entitled just sucks. Of course I have a headstart, I PAID for this game 3 years ago while newcomers chose not to. They played any other AAA MMO out there and are only coming now – by their own choice. I will be there to welcome them, but I’m not buying the counter arguments here that I should practically feel pity for new players joining the game because they haven’t had the chance to play the game like I had these past 3 years. They had every chance – just like me – they chose not to.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

GeekDavid.2786

I think new players are still on the lower end of the deal though. There’s a lot they have missed out as wel as needing to pay for things that were free otherwise. Gem conversion used to be really low. I think I bought most my characterslots for like 2 gold early on for example.

If I start a new game right now, like say Eve Online (one I’ve been considering), I will also miss out on a lot of things that the other players already have.

Guess what? That’s life. It happens when you start a new job, start a new school, move to a new town, start going to a new church, the list goes on and on and on.

And no, that’s no reason to give benefits to new people that make the existing people feel like they’re being slighted. You don’t give a freshman in college something that the people who’ve been there for years have had to pay for, do ya?

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

It would cost me $60 to make a Revenant without deleting a character. Given the small amount of content currently known, that’s a terrible deal. I’ll wait for a deal I can live with.

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

FrizzFreston.5290

Don’t you guys see the irony though? Sales and sale offers happen as well. “That’s life it happens.” can be said for that case all the same.

While I do feel that Arenanet does not seem to particularly market towards existing players, it’s in their right to try and offer an fairly older game at a much cheaper price in order to get more customers. You don’t get loads of complaints when there’s games on steam for sale for a nickle and a dime while you may have paid the full $60.

The problem right now I would say it seems to be more of an investment for future content and a basis for future content. But even an investor would demand more information on future releases. I would say that a character slot shouldn’t even be added to compensate veteran players, but it would benefit the overall offer for everyone.

And really. A bought title is pretty much no incentive to preorder.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

Don’t you guys see the irony though? Sales and sale offers happen as well. “That’s life it happens.” can be said for that case all the same.

While I do feel that Arenanet does not seem to particularly market towards existing players, it’s in their right to try and offer an fairly older game at a much cheaper price in order to get more customers. You don’t get loads of complaints when there’s games on steam for sale for a nickle and a dime while you may have paid the full $60.

The problem right now I would say it seems to be more of an investment for future content and a basis for future content. But even an investor would demand more information on future releases. I would say that a character slot shouldn’t even be added to compensate veteran players, but it would benefit the overall offer for everyone.

And really. A bought title is pretty much no incentive to preorder.

It’s been added:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pre-purchase-community-address/

FrizzFreston.5290

Oopsie. Thanks xD
Not just that, even. They also added information about future business plans.

macon.4065

“In the future, if we release further Guild Wars 2 expansions, we plan to offer all of the prior expansions, the core game, and the latest expansion for one single purchase price.”

The above line was taken from the release that the company gave out today and I’m a little confused. So if they are going to offer a completed program when all of the material is given (core, expansions, etc) does that mean the people that are buying the products early could get shafted in the end by paying more now then later? Ecspecially consider that in buying the expansions we would be in fact purchasing the game again?

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

“In the future, if we release further Guild Wars 2 expansions, we plan to offer all of the prior expansions, the core game, and the latest expansion for one single purchase price.”

The above line was taken from the release that the company gave out today and I’m a little confused. So if they are going to offer a completed program when all of the material is given (core, expansions, etc) does that mean the people that are buying the products early could get shafted in the end by paying more now then later? Ecspecially consider that in buying the expansions we would be in fact purchasing the game again?

You will most propably get a gift as a veteran to balance the difference, just like now.
But there is nothing wrong about putting everything together with the new expansion. You will pay more because it’s new and you can play it now.
Or you wait 10 years and buy all future expansions for 50$ if you think that waiting is worth it

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

Ricky.4706

i have nothing against the word “upgrade” either, makes life less confusing, but i suppose ‘expansion’ is the proper syntax in the gaming world. It makes sense too because it seems that they are adding a new mechanic in each expansion, so they need to upgrade the base engine and expand upon the last update. But expansion will confuse the kittens out of anyone in that scenario, especially if they want to pick and choose future updates. that will be a future argument of “Well why do i have to buy every expansion when i only want a particular one.” perception is important to understanding.

technically you are upgrading the game with new areas and mechanics, and expansions would be trivial cosmetic things that have nothing to do with mechanics and game flow. like skins costumes and toys. That is unless you were planning on giving out every prior expansion for free for every subsequent release. so expansion 25 has all prior 24 expansions included -in star trek next gen data voice-

(edited by Ricky.4706)