HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: JakeG.9620

JakeG.9620

Hello John, is it intended that people have to buy the base game a second time or just a bug? (I hope it’s a bug)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

So if an existing player buys the ‘core game’ again then shouldn’t we get 5 character slots for buying it again?

You do.

If you don’t link to your existing account.

Posted by: Harrier.9380

Harrier.9380

if you look at the world through the cold cynical eyes of economics

You rang?

Good one, but now’s really not the time I think.

“Men are more ready to repay an injury than a benefit,
because gratitude is a burden and revenge a pleasure.”

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

You rang?

I like how there is no word why we need to buy the core game again in this post.

Posted by: Phat Stackage.5329

Phat Stackage.5329

We really need some clarification on whats going on here.

Posted by: DoAyari.2719

DoAyari.2719

Honestly the price isn’t the problem. It was to be expected. I just don’t want another account!

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

You rang?

Good one, but now’s really not the time I think.

agree….company you work for may or may not be kittening over existing players.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

You rang?

Good to see you guys are reading the threads. Will there be any comments on the issue soon?

Posted by: Tobley.6138

Tobley.6138

So if an existing player buys the ‘core game’ again then shouldn’t we get 5 character slots for buying it again?

You do.

If you don’t link to your existing account.

And if we don’t want to have 5 new character slots, but just the expansion? There’s no option for this?

Kaida Catastrophe<3

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

You rang?

Do we get to purchase 1x and apply the “expansion” to all our accounts?

Or are we forced to buy the game again with expansion for every single account we own?

Posted by: Khalic.3561

Khalic.3561

Figured for $50 they would at the very least let us have a character slot. Factions and Nightfall at least had the courtesy to give us one for each new profession that they added.

Khyla Shadowsong ~ Charr Ele, Engi, Mes, Ranger, Guard, Thief, War, Necro
Northern Shiverpeaks ~ [dO] Drop Otter

Posted by: BikerBeagle.3915

BikerBeagle.3915

I’m sure the response will be …no response …but if there is a response, it will be along the lines of “you are paying for the expansion and getting the core game for free”.

Marketing 101.

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

John i dont think it is in your best interest to jest peoples at this particular point in time.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

Posted by: latinkuro.7304

latinkuro.7304

I am willing to pay $19.99 for an account upgrade that has the HoT content and includes a character slot. I am not interested in your products if you’re trying to scam me.

this is the kind of people that really makes me angry, blizzard has been robbing people for years…..

yet, you don’t wanna pay for a game that is b2p with NO sub !!!

Man, I hope the door hits you on your way out, really hard.

LOVE: Raids & Fractals.
HATE: Jumping puzzles.
DESPISE: TIME GATES, RNG & THE TRINITY !

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

Why is the core game included in the HoT Xpac? That means everyone who’s been playing since launch and helped support the game from the start is paying extra when compared to someone who just preordered HoT right now. This makes no sense ?

Making the people who believed in this game from the start pay more is a slap in the face honestly

There needs to be a different offer for players who already have an account. Or else we should be able to purchase each tier of the Xpac Preorder minus the cost of the core game.

Can’t believe they pulled something like this

Or, it could be that the expansion itself is $50, but in an attempt to attract new players the core game comes ‘free’ to them if they bought the expansion at the same price as the rest of us.

It’s a common marketing and economic tactic that works wonders, not a single quality MMO hasn’t done something like this before.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I’m pretty sure GW: Eye of the North was a lot cheaper than $50. HoT being this price if you already own the base game is just silly.

EotN was $34.99, which was likely chosen due to its smaller size. I figured they would do the same with HoT. Whether HoT actually offers the amount of content you would traditionally expect out of a full expansion is another question. Either ArenaNet’s trying to pull something, or HoT has a lot, and I mean a lot more content than they’ve hinted at. Guild halls for example take up an entire zone and even features dueling, though unfortunately, all that content is locked behind guilds.

Posted by: Carbon Footprint.3421

Carbon Footprint.3421

This isn’t for current players, only new players. They only care about new money not old money.

Then why is it in the gem store?

For the rich/desperate suckers who want to waste the money just to be in the beta.

Khristophoros.7194

People forget that we pay no sub fee and receive whole expansions worth of content for free on a regular basis.

Except the game is crippled and may as well be a trial edition without upgrades such as character slots, inventory bag slots, storage slots, etc… from the gem store.

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

John i dont think it is in your best interest to jest peoples at this particular point in time.

John may want his posts go through PR before they are posted.

Posted by: Pickles.9436

Pickles.9436

so cool anet, you are selling an expansion that gives core game and new content for 50 bucks. How bout this: I already own the core game, so I’ll buy JUST the expansion stuff for 30.

Savvy?

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Disappointing. I never expected Anet to be this greedy. I can’t believe they aren’t including a free character slot for the Revenant.

Posted by: CrimsonDX.4821

CrimsonDX.4821

$50 is a perfectly reasonable price given what we have already received (massive amounts of free content) and what we will be receiving (massive amounts of more free content going forward)

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

You rang?

You serious?

Everyone is flipping out over your product, and you make jokes?

Posted by: Arahzor.1832

Arahzor.1832

You rang?

I see what you did there.

Arahor Aure [DVDF]

Khristophoros.7194

I am willing to pay $19.99 for an account upgrade that has the HoT content and includes a character slot. I am not interested in your products if you’re trying to scam me.

this is the kind of people that really makes me angry, blizzard has been robbing people for years…..

yet, you don’t wanna pay for a game that is b2p with NO sub !!!

Man, I hope the door hits you on your way out, really hard.

I’m just letting them know what I feel is reasonable as a customer. It’s called having a spine.

Posted by: Eight Samurai.6840

Eight Samurai.6840

I’m sure the response will be …no response …but if there is a response, it will be along the lines of “you are paying for the expansion and getting the core game for free”.

Marketing 101.

I think we were all thinking the same thing tbh… it’s kinda sad and pathetic what they are doing. Not only is there no new content at all in the past 3-4 months of this game since LS season 2, but now they are scamming existing players. They are going to lose A LOT of veteran players over this.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Honestly, if you’re hardcore enough to buy the expansion, are you really having Gold issues to buy an additional character slot? Because there will be a massive amount of players cashing in on the $4000 gems, gem prices will go down, and 800 gems will be significantly cheaper.

John Smith is technically fixing gems, here.

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

People forget that we pay no sub fee and receive whole expansions worth of content for free on a regular basis.

What if I wasn’t will to pay for that content? They can’t give it to me claiming it is free and then charge me for it later.

Posted by: upsdn.5426

upsdn.5426

Before you pay $50-$100 for HoT at the in-game Gem Store, I implore you all to take a moment of silence and remember.

Remember Sam.

And, for the love of The Priory and all that is wise, remember Krewe Leader Dobbs.

Hold hope. Someday.

Posted by: Oberon Vex.1389

Oberon Vex.1389

This is nothing short of an insult to every single one of those who have been loyally playing for so long. They’re giving new players the expansion practically for free in comparison!
And it’s not as if they’re offering a full game’s worth of content, either.

Get off your high horse.

Given the amount of free content they have given us since launch, this is nothing. Certainly far less than what we would have paid in total subscription costs since launch

+1.

While the execution is perhaps clunky, the value of the price is something we the customer cannot know until we play. It is entirely possible the new campaign against Morde will be as expansive and lengthy as the one against zhaitan — whether in entirely new maps or revisiting older ones with new instanced story areas.

It is possible that the content of the expansion is fully worth the 50$ price tag — which lets be honest, is pretty kitten common for an expansion of a AAA MMO — so please can we shelf the outrage for a bit? Until we KNOW it’s not worth it?

Finally: no one is forcing you to pre-order. If the price is outrageous to you, or you cannot stomach that they tacked on the core game so that new players dont’ have to shell out $110 to get into the game, then do not pre-order the xpac. Wait for launch. Wait to see if they lower the price, or offer a discounted “Account Upgrade” version in the gemstore. Or — and just hear me out on this one: wait until more information about the expansion is available and make an informed decision. Boom.

Posted by: HatSimulator.9362

HatSimulator.9362

I like how anet isnt responding to ANY of the community outrage here, and on reddit, and in game. No one is happy right now. I don’t know, I’ve sunk so much into this game but this is insane.

Gates of Madness [DUI]
Main Warrior | Every other class at 80
I only play WvW

Posted by: Dead.5829

Dead.5829

The core game is included to get new people in. It’s not a kick in the face if you already have the core game. It’s a BONUS to friends, family, acquaintances you want to bring into the game.

There’s no sub, 50$ is fair for a AAA expansion with as much as HoT is giving us. If you want a better deal, buy the Ultimate edition for 50$ more that comes with some free stuff, a character slot, and… 50$ worth of gems.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

You rang?

Knocked, actually. You guys never answer the doorbell.

But while you’re here, I do wish to ask a question of you: Will there be a lower priced version of the expansion for those that already have GW2?

I realize that the answer may well be “It’s still under discussion” or “Not for preorder”. And I’m okay with that. I just want to know if the three preorder versions are the final, set in stone choices and the only choices we’ll have.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

(includes**)

HoT is 50$, you are getting the base game for free based on that wording.

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Posted by: Toxicity.5392

Toxicity.5392

Bet you will when it goes on sale for $15-20. If anet wants to be lame I hope the majority will hold out with us.

I farm more than a chinese gold seller.

Posted by: Phat Stackage.5329

Phat Stackage.5329

You rang?

wow… just wow…

MANY people here are upset over the announcement your company gave and you use the time to make jokes. nice.

Posted by: Kelnis.1829

Kelnis.1829

Hey, John Smith, bought the $99.99 version. The value isn’t what I’d call “ideal,” but I am one of the players that was looking to buy a physical collector’s edition ($150-200.) Overall, disappointed with the versions offered, but I was going to buy gems tonight anyway – ended up working out I guess. Also, HOW DARE YOU EXPECT PEOPLE TO PAY FOR YOUR EXPANSION.

Sorry your official forums are full of vitriol instead of more constructive feedback.

Posted by: anAngryEnt.9852

anAngryEnt.9852

I feel that 35-40 USD would be a better option, the base game included is a bit of a slap to the face

Posted by: urieldhynne.2743

urieldhynne.2743

$50 is a perfectly reasonable price given what we have already received (massive amounts of free content) and what we will be receiving (massive amounts of more free content going forward)

So is fine to charge now for the free content? I am a WvW player, so you can guess how many content I get for free in the last 2 years.

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

You rang?

This reply from a representative of Anet is APPALLING.

Posted by: Dano.5623

Dano.5623

It is not free content if you have to pay for access.

Posted by: JakeG.9620

JakeG.9620

I really believe in all my heart that it’s a bug I think they want to target new people right now, not the core gamers. Maybe we’ll get our pre-purchase in the course of this week or something?

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

can we have xpac only edition ? we already have the core game.. what would the existing players do with the core game that come free with it ? we wouldn’t be able to separate it anyway….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

Hey, John Smith, bought the $99.99 version. The value isn’t what I’d call “ideal,” but I am one of the players that was looking to buy a physical collector’s edition ($150-200.) Overall, disappointed with the versions offered, but I was going to buy gems tonight anyway – ended up working out I guess. Also, HOW DARE YOU EXPECT PEOPLE TO PAY FOR YOUR EXPANSION.

Sorry your official forums are full of vitriol instead of more constructive feedback.

It’s okay to expect people to pay for the expansion. It’s not okay to expect them to pay for the core game again.

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

Does that make me a bad man for buying 4 WoW expansions at $60 each AND paying 15$ per month for around 4-5 years just to play a game?

Posted by: Jonandu.2073

Jonandu.2073

I would buy it for that price but 50 bucks for an x-pac… I can get a brand new game… HOT isn’t adding that much content… I will def not get it!

Just sucks… I returned because the x-pac lol, now I will be gone again…

Posted by: Harnel.6810

Harnel.6810

I like how anet isnt responding to ANY of the community outrage here, and on reddit, and in game. No one is happy right now. I don’t know, I’ve sunk so much into this game but this is insane.

It hasn’t even been an hour.

PR systems take time, because you have to go to the people who write what you can and can’t say to the public, ask the company heads if it’s alright to do this, and then actually write up the response. I’d give it a few hours, at very most a day given the time of night in Seattle. then if there’s still no response, they’ve had ample time to say something.

Posted by: upsdn.5426

upsdn.5426

I really believe in all my heart that it’s a bug I think they want to target new people right now, not the core gamers. Maybe we’ll get our pre-purchase in the course of this week or something?

If it were really a bug, I think we’d have already seen the famous yellow “There will be a new build available in 10 minutes.” Because this is all people seem to be talking about in game.

Posted by: InfinitytheSoulWarden.5963

InfinitytheSoulWarden.5963

we are not paying for the expansion we are paying for a game we already own. and are in the right to be angry! not everyone can afford to shell out $50-$100 on a whim.

Soul Warden of Echo of Enclayd
~Infinity Warden

Posted by: MokahTGS.7850

MokahTGS.7850

Well I’ll just respectfully disagree