HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

GW2 was released August 28, 2012 and they haven’t asked me for any money til now.

I will pay it gladly.

^^This^^

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: Duka.5864

Duka.5864

No Dude you have torrents now it is free!

Posted by: Daxxter.8920

Daxxter.8920

60$ US which is about 70 something in Canadian where I live and that was not my point.

Posted by: shakome.7458

shakome.7458

how is this even relevant?

Posted by: ArrogantHero.4965

ArrogantHero.4965

No Dude you have torrents now it is free!

If you torrent then your not a hypocrite. I’m talking about the people who do that many of them will say they don’t lol

Posted by: synfullydevine.3642

synfullydevine.3642

The price of living goes up. Minimum wage goes up. Gas prices go up.

See a pattern here?

Price of living goes up, minimum wage goes up, companies lay off thousands of workers so they are paying around the same amount as before. People have less money because of unemployment and can no longer afford the inflated prices. Yes I see the pattern.

Or maybe it’s the jobs we invest in overseas or the debt we owe china. Millions spent in Iraq that made things worse over there in middle east. It all has to trickle down somewhere and eventually we pay not the government. We are already too far in debt that nations won’t lend to us. So now what. Oh forgot we can print new currrency making money into thin air

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Movies = MMOs?

Or something…

ArrogantHero.4965

How is it NOT?

Posted by: funkylovemonkey.3097

funkylovemonkey.3097

People on these forums are complaining about the value of the GW2 expansion. I believe that everyone is titled to there opinion, fair enough. BUT if you have ever went to go see a movie when it first came out YOU ARE A HYPOCRITE!!! You say GW2 expansion cost too much but you will spend $10-$20 to see a 2 hour movie.

Pro-tip: Never drink and post.

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

they only care about money… no matter new player or existing player need to spend $50. that will increase their income. no matter what.

Well,yeah that’s how paid expansions work I guess?

is forcing your loyal players to delete a chr for a new class OR be forced to buy a 10.00 chr slot on top of the 100.00 they have now paid for the game, how paid expansions work?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

GW2 Doesnt have the Avengers in it.

Its not hypocrisy to think one thing is worth $15, and that a completely different thing is not worth $50.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

If people are complaining about the price it usually comes down to value for money. The comparison is somewhat relevant (your mileage may vary since movies around here are a kitteneaper).

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

B-b-but muh $50!

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

f you’re making your customers feel like they’re being cheated (true or not, irrelevant), that’s a marketing fail.

Posted by: OhHellzNo.1268

OhHellzNo.1268

It’s not really free, but rather free WITH HoT. It’s like buying a hotdog sandwich and getting a free drink, as opposed to buying the drink standalone. It’s an incentive for new players.

But in your analogy, you still get something for free. This seems more like:

Customer: I’d like one Hot Dog + Free Drink please
Vendor: Coming Right up Sir.
vendor sees you are already holding a beverage
Vendor: Hmm looks like you already have a beverage, so I’m not giving you the free drink.

(edited by OhHellzNo.1268)

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

I feel the price point is far too high; I have the core game, which cost $60 at release, and I’m not going to be dropping another $50 for the expansion. I would be fine with $20, maybe even $30, but $40 or $50 is too much, in my opinion.

Conveniently, there will soon be wave upon wave of massive discounts announced by the worst ads I’ve ever seen, ads so bad that I actually feel worse about myself for knowing that somebody was paid to make them, making that person technically better at life than I am.
And, of course, the entirely possible ‘We meant to be nice, we ended up causing a problem, here’s a discount’ PR attempt. What, think that addressing hobosacks and Lion’s Arch would be enough goodwill to make that stick? I could get “It’s about time” tattooed on my bum and moon the screen instead of actually saying it, but I’d like to actually sit down once in a while and I’m pretty sure that’d keep me from being able to actually play anything.

Also, John Smith: Why did you do that? Don’t be a jerk, man. If you don’t have anything to actually say, don’t say anything at all. And don’t mock the players.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

Ofcourse the prize is fine.Lets compare it to one other successfull MMOs.If i wanted to pay WoW i’d have to pay 20$ for the core game + 50$ for expansion which is 70$ in total.For HoT i have to pay only kitten and that is 25$ less than WoW(without even counting the subscription)

Yes, and let’s compare the content shall we? WoW gives you the Core game, plus 5 expansions, 11 character slots per server (100 total slots iirc). GW2 gives Core game plus HoT expansion, with 0 slots for $50 (or $10 more for a slot if you buy with gems), or 1 extra slot for an extra $25, totaling $75.

You can also buy WoW tokens now to pay for your subscription, much like grinding for gold to get gems in GW2.

You know WoW tokens are more expensive than a subscription.And someone always has to buy them with real cash so you can buy it with ingame gold.So it is a win win for Blizzard.

• Token 20$
  • Subscription 15$

That’s only if you want to sell the token for gold.
I’m talking about purchasing the token with gold.

It’s similar to GW2’s “gold-> gem” conversion, except in GW2, gems aren’t needed for a subscription.

I perfectly understand how the token gold conversation is working.I know what you are talking about.What i’m implying at is that someone has to buy 1st the token with real cash and only then it can be sold for in game gold.The token can’t be bought from Blizzard store for in game gold.It can be bought only for real cast.The token can be bought with in game currency only from the in game actioun house.And currently the token is more expensive from the subscription

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

(edited by moiraine.2753)

ArrogantHero.4965

Movies = MMOs?

Or something…

Its all about value.

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

campare to Nightfall and Faction NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!!

GW1 had no living world content that came in between expansions, please stop your QQ and realize this

GW1 has balance update every months. Good changes or not, they tried.

GW2…..3 years and finally they do something to pve balance in the next patch.

GW2 has had multiple balance patches over the years. Some good, some not, but to say they “finally” did balancing is wrong.

Balancing for pve I said. 95% of the balance patches made were aimed towards pvp.

Posted by: xXMapcoXx.9614

xXMapcoXx.9614

I am ok with the price of the expansion, I have no complaint on that part. I put about 20 to 30$ in this game monthly without any regret, I have purchased 3 extra character slots to have each class. The core game came with 5 slots which is also fine, it was my decision to add more to that and was happy to dish out the money for it.

Now the part where I state my point, I have been giving you money on a daily basis even tho it is not a pay to play model, the fact that you aren’t even giving at least one slot to try out the new class is like releasing a game where you have to buy your character to play it. I am still baffled that after all the money I put in to your game a character slot is a luxury for you guys. I am not from the US, buying your expansion plus a character slot would be about 70$ for me which is ridiculous.

Now the sad part, you prefer losing a customer base who are buying regularly on the black lion with real money because you guys want the extra 10$ on a character slot and not offering it to your loyal players.

Welp today Anet you just made a mess out of your own game and I hope you guys are happy. I had no issue paying 50$ for it but now you are going to lose a monthly 30$ for a 10$ character slot…

Haha, They don’t care! Have you seen their post to some of the peoples response haha and have our community thinks is a good idea. THEY had streamers trying to get people on twitch to buy the game like for real. Look ANET idc that you charging 50 dollars, I just wont be buying hot end of story I’ll wait till their is a price drop. I ant spending 50 dollars on a promise. I did that before and got burnt each and every time.

(edited by xXMapcoXx.9614)

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I’ll buy it in any store!

Assuming the core game was included in the overall cost. ANet has stated that the core game is a free addition, i.e. they didn’t calculate it into the end price.

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

And, of course, the forums glitch. Because obviously there’s no need to make them work. Surely, those fifty bucks are absolutely necessary to pay the forum engineers enough to get out of bed in the morning, if that’s what you can call the piled newspaper they sleep on.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Now, if there was a mini Captain America in a speedo included in HoT…instant purchase, amirite?

Posted by: Hammersmash Ureface.2650

Hammersmash Ureface.2650

So. If I buy the exp, and already have the core game, where’s my separate key for the copy of the core game I get free with the exp? I do get a key right, because otherwise you haven’t really given me anything, you’ve just said you did.
It makes no sense, no sense at all to buy kitten HoT basic key and tack it onto an existing account when I get a whole new account with it. 5 more character slots to play with instead of the zero I’d get if I tacked it onto my main. That’s the slot I’d need for Revenant and 4 mules.
I can’t help but think that a big problem that anet is going to run into here is that most people understand economics. Most people that understand economics and want the exp don’t want to give up those 5 free slots in exchange for exactly zero, and if they were tired of all the old gear they had and that gear still remained of worth…

(*Cue Mass Account-selling)

THat’s right. People want the new content, the new legendaries, and I daresay more than a few of them will be funding it by selling their still highly valuable old exp-less accounts for large sums of r/l money (How much is a 2.5k gold weapon or 3 worth anyway?) and the facilitator is none other than anet.

Facilitate how, you say? Simple. It would be economically unviable any other way. Old skins and stuff worth nothing to people that have them are worth far more to those that don’t. If I cared less for this game, if I had lesser ethics, my copy would already be on sale… ;-)

Since GW1 – [MLM] – Meeting of the Lost Minds

Posted by: Duka.5864

Duka.5864

“If you already own the game then you now have a spare account”
Why do you telling me what i want!?Do i want spare acc NO I DON’T
If you telling me there is no monthly fee and i should be happy then you are idiot with no brain!

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

Try europe where it costs the same but in euros – 1/3 more expensive…

Posted by: Combination NC.9813

Combination NC.9813

This is unbelievably scummy. Pretty unethical and unfair if you ask me.

Assuming they had always planned to do a bait and switch. Most likely they only recently decided to make this change.

But if they already knew, why keep the FAQ as it was? They only changed that today, and the contents of the FAQ as it looked before could very well have influenced people’s decision to by the base game, either for themselves or someone else.

Knights of the Round Vegetable [SASS], Tarnished Coast.

ArrogantHero.4965

Now, if there was a mini Captain America in a speedo included in HoT…instant purchase, amirite?

This made me LOL!

Posted by: Sylv.6514

Sylv.6514

Well I won’t be “quitting the game,” but I won’t be spending any money either. I’ll just login for dailies and events until Anet decides to lower the price. Who knows, maybe i’ll lose patience eventually and just stop playing entirely. I don’t see that happening too soon.

Posted by: Udin.9587

Udin.9587

i don’t understand why you guys complaining. WE DO NOT HAVE MONTHLY FEES. I get it it’s $50 but given that you play for free. That’s good enough for me.

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

A loyal gw2 player would already have bought several character slots to make one of each profession. I’m sure a loyal gw2 player can spare another 100g to play another new profession if he wants too.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: Pepsi.8907

Pepsi.8907

It’s not really free, but rather free WITH HoT. It’s like buying a hotdog sandwich and getting a free drink, as opposed to buying the drink standalone. It’s an incentive for new players.

I already have my drink, I don’t want to pay for that combo hotdog + drink, because, first, I don’t need a second dronk and, second, I’ll pay that combo thing, while only receiving the hotdog
can I, PLEASE!, pay for the hotdog alone, without feeling robbed of a drink that I would never even need either way, so I feel no use in paying, either way?

We’re still paying the exact same price for less.
It’s like you pay 5 bucks for a drink.
You pay another 5 bucks for the hotdog.

The new customer pays 5 bucks for both the drink and the hotdog.

I have NO problems with that
I chose to buy it when I wanted it, and now I’d like to have the xpac without the core game, if there’s an incentive for new players NICE, I like that, it’s GREAT!
But I don’t like being SHAFTED in the process and have NO other options than feeling like buying a second core game I’ll NEVER use or even see…

(edited by Pepsi.8907)

Posted by: Bristingr.5034

Bristingr.5034

The last 2 movies I saw in theatres was for free. The last time I paid for a movie in theatres… uhhhhhhhhhh, many moons ago.

Seriously, I just wait for it to come out on Netflix. (The Interview was an exception, I watched that on Google Play Christmas Eve with the family. $6 for 48 rental of the movie, instead of $12 for each person and could only watch it once)

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

It’s worse than shady, it’s ArenaNet.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Let’s look at WoW for a moment shall we? Keeping things as cheap as possible the core game costs $19.99, and the lowest price for a subscription is $11.50, so if you play for a year that’s $157.99. This is ignoring expansions, the higher priced subscription plans, and so on.

GW2 is a one time purchase of $40, $20, or $10 depending on when you got it. $157.99 for a year versus a flat $40. The $50 price tag is fine.

Don’t forget the first month’s free, so it’s actually 146.49 for a year.

That being said, subscription costs and one-time purchases aren’t equivalent comparisons, what you should be comparing are subscription fees to cash-gem purchases.

Your argument only applies to people have been frugal in how much they’ve been paying to support GW2 over the years, it doesn’t apply to those who have been spending more than a certain amount per month on cash-gem purchases:

• $8.87/mo if you bought GW2 at $40
  • $10.54/mo if you bought GW2 at $20
  • $11.37/mo if you bought GW2 at $10

Then let’s not forget for $40 a WoW expansion comes with a free character slot. For $50 HoT will not come with a slot, so you will either have to spend another $10 to buy one or 800 gems if you want the free option, so the threshold is actually slightly lower if you figure in the premium being charged:

HoT Basic + $10 character slot ($20 premium)

• $7.21/mo if you bought GW2 at $40
  • $8.87/mo if you bought GW2 at $20
  • $9.71/mo if you bought GW2 at $10

If you spend 800 gems on the character slot instead ($10 premium):

• $8.04/mo if you bought GW2 at $40
  • $9.71/mo if you bought GW2 at $20
  • $10.54/mo if you bought GW2 at $10

The difference isn’t as great as you make it out to be and it’s not that hard to reach parity with just a dozen purchases a year.

Posted by: Uproller.1849

Uproller.1849

Technically the trait revamp isn’t part of the xpac and I’m 99.9% certain the WvW update won’t be either.

Imagine the horror if WvW update requires HoT. the lower tiers will see no activity since their already small group is further sub-divided.

Posted by: heydurian.6459

heydurian.6459

Anet: hey newbie, only $50 you can buy full Content GW2^.<
Anet: hey player, thank for support us near 3 years, so you can spend $50 to the DLC with the useless gw2 key ^.<

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

You’re not gonna guilt them into changing the price y’know.

ArrogantHero.4965

The last 2 movies I saw in theatres was for free. The last time I paid for a movie in theatres… uhhhhhhhhhh, many moons ago.

Seriously, I just wait for it to come out on Netflix. (The Interview was an exception, I watched that on Google Play Christmas Eve with the family. $6 for 48 rental of the movie, instead of $12 for each person and could only watch it once)

Again then you are not a hypocrite. You obviously saw the light and got netflix.

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

To be fair, I don’t think the trip to the movie theaters is worth it either.

At home I can eat what I want while I watch and I don’t even have to wear pants.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Although I must admit, it feels like the a giant carrot (dangling guild halls in front of players) who will feel forced to buy otherwise be segragated from other members of their guilds if they choose to wait for the inevitable price drop.

So if you don’t have the expansion, you won’t be able to enter your guild’s guild hall? That is indeed a carrot, but at the same time sounds like a massive mistake. Most people aren’t going to buy the instant the game comes out no matter how big a carrot you dangle, so all you’re doing is causing customers to miss out on content (opening of the guild hall, for example).

Posted by: xXMapcoXx.9614

xXMapcoXx.9614

Just want to let everyone reading this that this is completely all my personal opinions and decisions. IDGAF if you disagree with me.

Now to the point : I don’t know why you, ANET, priced the base expansion at $50. I don’t need to have played it to know that it does not have $50 worth contents. You had plenty of videos, beta tests to prove it’s worth and impress me enough but it didn’t. ‘Maybe you should try it before making that judgement’ isn’t going to fly.
In my humble opinion I would only pay at most, $30. But that’s just me personally so no biggie, I know others who don’t have issues paying $50 for it.

Maybe you’re low on cash? If you are, let us know. Prove your worth. Otherwise it’s jut simple greed. How can it not? Most seems to agree with this point. This game isn’t 100% B2P as we all know, your obliviously expensive gem store rakes in cash after cash, so I doubt you’re low on cash. Compared to other MMORPG’s out there you’re doing pretty good actually.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Base-game-included-with-the-49-99-expansion/first#post5156129

The above statement I know has struck most of the players heart with absolute discontent. Words like displeased, upset, disappointed, blatantly ignored, a big kitten you to our faces probably doesn’t nearly enough describe what most are feeling right now.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/I-m-not-buying-HoT-at-50-dollars/first#post5155683

What the kitten is with the above reply? You should be making cases trying to justify why everyone who’s raging that $50 isn’t worth it, is indeed worth it.

You know what? I might have, with difficulty, at least have purchased the $50 expansion if it was just expansion and another set of core + expansion was priced at $70 or something.

But no, by saying it has ‘free’ core game to entice new players, you have ended up shoving your filthy middle finger up my nostrils and not give a kitten whether or not I as an existing customer get anything as an incentive. Hmm yep paints the exact picture of what I felt when I saw the pricing.

Maybe you felt greedy and decided to rake in just a bit more cash. Funny thing is, by doing that you ended up not getting any money from me at all.
At least by either selling the expansion alone for $30+- for us existing players you would actually have made that much more certain income. There’s literally nothing for us for being loyal customers.

YOU tell me why I should buy the expansion for $50. Try. Convince me. Seriously. What the kitten kind of decision making went through at Anet HQ that came up with this pricing? I want to know.

Until then, good luck. I know that I may be but just a few number of people who will not purchasing HoT out of disgust and that might not affect anything end game for you, since I know there’s still a lot of players who will purchase HoT at the current pricing.

By not buying I’m certainly going to be left out of the HoT experience while others who ate the bullet and just bought it will. So in the end I might not be making any difference at all, in fact I am pretty sure this post will be glossed over. Only my loss, who cares if you lose one person’s $50 right?

But hey I’m content and glad with my money in my pocket and not yours. Maybe more players than anticipated will decide not to purchase the HoT. So I got that going for me.

You tell them brah

Posted by: Tirien.1326

Tirien.1326

People can’t read, or atleast can’t read very well.
You don’t pay for the core game, it’s just a bonus, you see you don’t pay for the core game, it’s just as a bonus… As a bonus…

Making it easy for anyone to buy the expansion and jump in and just play, without the core game you can’t play, so they added it as a bonus… as a bonus.. as a bonus..

Posted by: FoXX.4159

FoXX.4159

On behalf of all veteran players out there, like cartman would like to say^_^: Screw you guys , im going back home. Or Go kitten yourselves arena net and ncsoft.

Posted by: Sylv.6514

Sylv.6514

Wow nice find. WTF happened to you Anet? You used to be very open and consumer friendly, but this just feels scummy and dishonest.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

What? You don’t mean a Robert Downey Junior backpiece that sasses you every time you do something?

Posted by: JUN YANG.4328

JUN YANG.4328

i have no problem with ncsoft. i am going to get BLADE AND SOUL the end of this year

On behalf of all veteran players out there, like cartman would like to say^_^: Screw you guys , im going back home. Or Go kitten yourselves arena net and ncsoft.

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

i don’t understand why you guys complaining. WE DO NOT HAVE MONTHLY FEES. I get it it’s $50 but given that you play for free. That’s good enough for me.

Well you’re probably overestimating how much content you’ll get in the expansion.

Notice that they made no mention of any new towns or dungeons. And how many areas do you think they’ll put into Maguuma Jungle? That’s the only place they mentioned will have new areas.

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

A loyal gw2 player would already have bought several character slots to make one of each profession. I’m sure a loyal gw2 player can spare another 100g to play another new profession if he wants too.

So the amount of buyable features I have bought is what makes me a loyal GW2 player? Not the 50 bucks that I spent at launch?

Posted by: AIJ.3784

AIJ.3784

50 dollars isnt outragous at all! Most games today, at least in my country, are at that prize and this is a game that have given me more value than anyother so ill gladly buy the expansion!

I might even consider the deluxe edition, but i agree with many that it would be good with an option with just the expansion since most of us already own the core game.