HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

It’s not really free, but rather free WITH HoT. It’s like buying a hotdog sandwich and getting a free drink, as opposed to buying the drink standalone. It’s an incentive for new players.

Posted by: Blackworm.2167

Blackworm.2167

30 dollars? Season passes for console games that release 10 hours of Content over a year are 30 dollars. Cmon bro

The BL2 season pass cost less than $30 and had more content in total than HoT does. Cmon bro.

GW1 – Dervish / Warrior –
GW2 – Borlis Pass – Revenant & Warrior –
Steam Profile

Posted by: synfullydevine.3642

synfullydevine.3642

People forget that we pay no sub fee and receive whole expansions worth of content for free on a regular basis.

Again oasis this b4. I know I’m not the only one who spent money on the gem shop for the main reason to support development. In hopes they never charge a subscription
What if I wasn’t will to pay for that content? They can’t give it to me claiming it is free and then charge me for it later.

Posted by: Sunshine.4802

Sunshine.4802

Dem, $50 is freakin much. Hope I won’t starve to death trying to buy it.

Posted by: GrimmyMays.5814

GrimmyMays.5814

Oh my… My my… My… ArenaNet you’re letting me down with this new expansion. It being $50 and all I get out of it is Maguuma Jungle, Guild Halls, A single new profession and some other little stuff that carries us along our journey towards these new features. Now, before I continue I mean no disrespect, these new added features are great, in fact upon purchasing Guild Wars 2 I was surprised that Guild Halls weren’t already in the core game considering they were in Guild Wars 1. So I’m highly excited to see the return and new additions to Guild Halls.

Yet, the point is I don’t want to pay for another core game and at the near same price of another core game for what is offered. The content to currency ratio is off. My argument is valid considering the expansions for Guild Wars 1 ranged $30 to $40. Eye of the North was $30 and Nightfall $40, in fact I have the cases sitting on my lap as I’m typing this remembering all the old memories I had playing them. Now my analysis on the reason why there is a price difference is because EOTN offered a section of the map and Nightfall offered Heros, being a large new addition to gameplay, a large new map, and two new professions.

Yet, Nightfall was released in 06 and EOTN in 07. So there is a time difference, there has to be more time and thought put in to content creation. But, if were are comparing time to games, the Nightfalls content release is no where near what the Heart of Thorns release, if anything it is similar to the $30 EOTN. But we again have to equate time. I’m not paying $50 moneys for this little expansion, neither are my five other friends and many other Guild Wars 2 fans.

I will how ever pay $40, if a expansion like Heart of Thorns was released for Guild Wars 1, it would easily be $30-35 but this isn’t 2007. Nor is Heart of Thorns on the content level of Nightfall. This is my reason for not wanting to purchase the new expansion, not because I’m a broke cheap skate “egotistical self entitled prick” which is what some forum user said to those who don’t like the price. Or because the “core game” is included “for free.” It’s because I can’t find the logic or reason in this pricing… Aside from a little extra cash for that new Bugatti Chiron that Mike O’Brien probably wants. c;

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I’m in a small guild, so not sure if I’ll be able to enjoy the guild hall content.

I like some of the other stuff, though.

Posted by: FoXX.4159

FoXX.4159

I mean their selling you a kitten digital rock and now Tying the price with a game you already own.

the game has been on a dry spell of content since jan. with only fixes/changes to condi and traits.

Don’t you see folks your basically the new Wow drones they wanted they want you blindly eating out their hands every month hey buy our gemstore item(i know some people farm for gold for the exchange but that is not fun and why I stopped playing and sort of moved on to ffxiv) I was hoping they would turn a new leaf with hots i mean hell they finally STarted opening up to the public with what they are doing for the most parts but this is down right greedy what they have been doing.

Stop going into gemdtore disc , that hasone purpose only , to keep the game alive , and milk the rich fans. This has nothing with the current issue. Its anither story and it shouldnt be here.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

Cause we aren’t buying the core game again. The core game is just free for those who don’t already have it. The $50 is 100% the price of the expansion.

To anyone who already paid $10-60 for the base game, it feels like you are getting screwed (aka paying more for less than a new person or paying for something twice.)

Posted by: hqeq umop apisdn.7526

hqeq umop apisdn.7526

So… Just to clarify… did an Anet dev comment on the first page of this thread to mock us and then not respond to any questions?

Posted by: Spider.8324

Spider.8324

The original question is the most important to me for this release.

To rephrase it. I’d like to transfer my old characters and account with the HoT release but have the “new” account there for whenever I want to use it.
That would give existing players the opportunity to try out new characters with a play account and use the HoT one as their main account.
That’s far from ideal for existing players but better than paying twice for the game. I paid 30 Euros for it almost two years ago and will NOT pay again but rather continue without the expansion until I get bored/frustrated and drop it.
Of course you will have thought about the influx of new accounts this is causing…

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

Guild hall as well as LFG should be in GW2’s release in 2012. It was super surprising there’s no guild hall in GW2 when all my GW1 guildies transfered.

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

For those that haven’t figured it out, and are asking for compensation because they’re going to “pay $10” for what they already have.

Prices of old games drop. And ANet has decided to drop the price of the base game down to nothing.

so 50 bucks for JUST an expansion? that’s worse than saying it was 50 for the expac + game

the expansion is set to have nowhere near the amount of content of the base game, yet they want to charge the same price?

yeah they are updating a lot of stuff in the core game, but that is stuff that should be done for the price of buying the game the first time, or funded through gem store purchases

the expansion for gw1 which added 3 new regions instead of just 1? only 20.00

I could have accepted 30-40 bucks, i would’ve accepted 50 if we got a chr slot for the revenant, but 50 on it’s own is a slap in the face

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

new player account : pay $50. get 5 free slot. get to try Revenant.
old players with no free slot : pay $50. no free slot.well, too bad for you, kitten off, go buy a slot to try Revenant.

… existing players would be happy if the “free” core game converted to free character slot.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: AWACS.6537

AWACS.6537

campare to Nightfall and Faction NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!!

GW1 had no living world content that came in between expansions, please stop your QQ and realize this

The living world content we got was pretty weak, honestly.

No.

Posted by: Arc DLad.2194

Arc DLad.2194

the main problem is this it can only be viewed like this :

new potential player – I get the polished base game and the expansion added on free

loyal veteran players – I have to rebuy the base game again which I already own and have been playing for years to get my free expansion.

really all they need to do is say hey here’s a slightly cheaper version that’s just expansion for the vet players to purchase

or

if you already have the base game you get something else instead of the game.

How does Treahern change a light bulb?
“commander can i have a word”

Posted by: JUN YANG.4328

JUN YANG.4328

SO??? do you think in 3 years gw2 size can compare gw1? plz answer my question

gw1 (2005)
eye of north (2007)
same 3 years time. 3 expansion
i rather have expansion the LS.
LS is a replacement expansion. if you miss it you miss it.

in 3 year time gw1’s map, class, etc more than double that original. gw2 after 3 year do you think 1 expansion and 1 LS can compare????

GW1 had no living world content that came in between expansions, please stop your QQ and realize this

The stupidity in this comment is unbelievable, DO NOT forget all of the feature packs and feature updates we have received

Also, you forgot LS2

Posted by: FatRaKoon.1782

FatRaKoon.1782

So… Just to clarify… did an Anet dev comment on the first page of this thread to mock us and then not respond to any questions?

You’re kitten right he did ! Bunch of amateurs.

Besides, no matter how you see it, 50$ base is just disrespectful toward veteran players as Arc Dlad and some others said. When I see that the extra character slot only comes with the 99$ Deluxe edition, this is just thievery in broad daylight.
Developers are clearly mocking us and it is just sad…

(edited by FatRaKoon.1782)

Posted by: Sylv.6514

Sylv.6514

That is exactly what it looks like. I don’t see how it can be interpreted in any other way. It’s almost like they expected this to explode so they can get bad press and more eyes on their game before apologizing and lowering the price, making them look like the good guys.

Posted by: Omocha.4931

Omocha.4931

Factions and Nightfall added new classes and new char slots with them at no extra cost and bank tabs too to people already owning Prophecies. That was a nice gesture towards the loyal player base.

Funny thing is HoT turned from an expansion to a standalone version with the twist in the plot Anet threw out. Meaning that while the new players get the base game ‘for free’, the existing player base should get something tossed in for free too (char slot, bank expansion, inventory expansion, gems… Not the middle finger waved in front of their eyes. That’s bad marketing from my point of view.

It’s also bad marketing when fixing bugs and balance in the game for the players is being a secondary goal to stacking up more trash in the gemstore. Because that means for me the bugs in the orginal game will be buried under the new ones which, in turn, will be covered up with more [Mini Rock] clones. So I’m understanding that I’ll be paying for something that has a 50-50 chance of functioning as intended and there’s a really high chance of Anet just revising their statements (like they did with HoT being expansion) if the pressure will become too big on adressing confusing mechanics or other unpleasant aspects.

All companies, under the loving eyes of the big publishers (like EA, hm?) are shifting their strategies towards milking their customers dry. ME3 was a very good example of such a policy. Current marketing strategies applied in GW2 are also good example. So while pricing-wise, the $50 is not uncommon, the attitude towards the loyal community is disastrous.

JUN YANG.4328

i join 4 guilds! players total more then 300…
do you know how many online now? less then 30.
who can enjoy the guil hall content lol

I’m in a small guild, so not sure if I’ll be able to enjoy the guild hall content.

I like some of the other stuff, though.

Posted by: Ronnie Hu.1694

Ronnie Hu.1694

best post of the day

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

My theory is he agrees with us but he can’t do anything about it, so he made a post that would intentionally make people even more angry while also getting one of the threads marked with the ANet logo in order to condense more of the discussion in one thread which would make it easier for feedback to be read and considered.

Also keep in mind that at companies like ANet, generally their PR department puts a blackout on issues like this so none of the employees can comment on it. The PR department wants to be in control of any response to an issue like this. Sometimes they decide that the best response is no response. If it keeps blowing up eventually they’ll respond though.

So if I’m right, John did everything he could without getting fired. Genius or troll, you decide.

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

this makes it much easier for me, no HOT for me for $50… I already paid full price for the main game and since I don’t play it so much anymore, such an investment for expansion isn’t worth it for me… I’ll rather wait for some discount later…

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

GW1 has balance update every months. Good changes or not, they tried.

GW2…..3 years and finally they do something to pve balance in the next patch.

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Hmmm… let’s see.

-3 new zones,that land mass wise will be short of like the new
half zones,with added verticality,and content wise will probably
be a glorified champ farm neo innovative grinding,ala Silverwastes(Zombies Wanted)

-Masteries(which is really nothing.WvW has had it’s masteries for years,
PvE is getting it’s own now)

-A class/traits/skills revamp that no one asked for.

-1 new class.

-1 new weapon/utility skill set per existing class.

-Guild halls.

-A new PvP mode that will attempt to raise the GW2 PvP scene from the dark empty dungeons where it delves,and maybe get it up to the lobby with the janitor of E-Sports.

-1 new WvW map(See you again in 3 years)

-The continuation of LS.

Am I missing anything?

To be fair,people who will buy the expansion will probably get a significant
amount of free content in the months to come,and they will be able to unlock
LS episodes for free.

But purely based on the content of HoT,the expansion price,at least for the
base version without any bonuses,should cost 40% less.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

AWACS.6537

There needs to be an option to trade the “Free” core game in for other stuff, like a character slot and some gems to go with it.

Either that, or the option to be able to use the “free” core game with another account is desperately needed.

No.

Posted by: Sylv.6514

Sylv.6514

The price of living goes up. Minimum wage goes up. Gas prices go up.

See a pattern here?

Price of living goes up, minimum wage goes up, companies lay off thousands of workers so they are paying around the same amount as before. People have less money because of unemployment and can no longer afford the inflated prices. Yes I see the pattern.

Posted by: synfullydevine.3642

synfullydevine.3642

It is amazing how many people seem to feel they have rights to decide what should and should not be included and how much it should cost. The truth here is, you have nothing to say about this what so ever, and if you feel it is to much then don’t buy the game. Expansions do cost money, mostly just as much as the game once did. This is nothing new. A-Net is a company that want to earn money, that is how the real world works.

Up to now GW2 have been amazingly free from extra charges, to be able to go on playing. Now they made a expansion and if we want them to keep up with what they done in the past, then we will have to pay for the expansion so they can keep on working on the game. Expecting anything else is a bit naive.

It is our right to voice. Since there gem shop is the main profit maker I font think one extra free slot would hurt especially selling a new class in which all veterans from launch have invested too much time in to even consider deleting. In the end they have the right but we still have the voice. That’s free enterprise to charge whatevrre you want and sell to who you want. The idea behind this is to create competitive price and service. Without consumer feedback the market is lost
That don’t go for insurance companies . They have there monopoly and own set of rules:D

(edited by synfullydevine.3642)

Shifu.4321

GW1 has balance update every months. Good changes or not, they tried.

GW2…..3 years and finally they do something to pve balance in the next patch.

GW2 has had multiple balance patches over the years. Some good, some not, but to say they “finally” did balancing is wrong.

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

Yes, pay $50 for a game that actually ends after, what.. 60 hours?

How many thousands of hours have you gotten out of GW2?

It takes about twice of that, 120 hours. Also, quality wise comparing Witcher 3 to Gw2 is quite silly. Unless you like looting pinata for thousand of hours.

Posted by: AinSoph.5063

AinSoph.5063

if you look at the world through the cold cynical eyes of economics

You rang?

The only post in this thread worth reading.

Thank you John.

—Ain Soph— Warrior
—Fort Aspenwood—

Posted by: Zoul.1087

Zoul.1087

Let’s look at WoW for a moment shall we? Keeping things as cheap as possible the core game costs $19.99, and the lowest price for a subscription is $11.50, so if you play for a year that’s $157.99. This is ignoring expansions, the higher priced subscription plans, and so on.

GW2 is a one time purchase of $40, $20, or $10 depending on when you got it. $157.99 for a year versus a flat $40. The $50 price tag is fine.

Some MMOs are free. What is your point?
The problem isn’t really the price tag. It’s that they are essentially making existing players who bought the game pay more.

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

Loyal GW2 Gamer:

60 @ Launch
50 for GW2: HoT
All chr slots probably filled, has to delete a chr to make a revenant, or pay 10 more dollars.

Brand new player:

50 for GW2 + GW2: HoT
5 chr slots to make whatever they need.

Thanks Anet.

UPDATE: There was no 50 dollar launch option. Only 60.00 and above.

(edited by Jordo.5913)

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

You won’t be missed.Can i have your stuff now?!?!?

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

Let’s look at WoW for a moment shall we? Keeping things as cheap as possible the core game costs $19.99, and the lowest price for a subscription is $11.50, so if you play for a year that’s $157.99. This is ignoring expansions, the higher priced subscription plans, and so on.

GW2 is a one time purchase of $40, $20, or $10 depending on when you got it. $157.99 for a year versus a flat $40. The $50 price tag is fine.

Gw2 isn’t WoW. Unless you can use it for your own argumentation, right? Quite hypocritical I would say. Perhaps we should also get raids, gear progression and hardcore content?

Posted by: philipitoyoda.3471

philipitoyoda.3471

The should not charge the original game twice!

JUN YANG.4328

they only care about money… no matter new player or existing player need to spend $50. that will increase their income. no matter what.

Posted by: Ellewind.9640

Ellewind.9640

Well, already take my decision. NO to Pre-Purchase, wait from official release and one month later I look from the players reviews but mostly about how much content HoT have.
From the actual price, hope at last EoN sized expansion or I walk instead “glide” far from the Magumma heart >.>

Posted by: Robin Skyshroud.1863

Robin Skyshroud.1863

I quote myself from another thread.

“$50 that also includes core guild wars 2?! What does that mean to an existing user of guild wars 2? It means R.I.P. off. The core game can be purchased on Amazon for $20 or on the official guild wars website for $40. This means that expansion is probably only $10 to $20 worth of content.

I would only pay $50 for a new start location in a whole new continent — maybe for example Elona, or perhaps more of the North. What ever happened to Eye of the North?

I hope you guys re-think this marketing plan.
G.G. arena net"

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

GW2 was released August 28, 2012 and they haven’t asked me for any money til now.

I will pay it gladly.

JQ Druid

Posted by: Daxxter.8920

Daxxter.8920

I am ok with the price of the expansion, I have no complaint on that part. I put about 20 to 30$ in this game monthly without any regret, I have purchased 3 extra character slots to have each class. The core game came with 5 slots which is also fine, it was my decision to add more to that and was happy to dish out the money for it.

Now the part where I state my point, I have been giving you money on a daily basis even tho it is not a pay to play model, the fact that you aren’t even giving at least one slot to try out the new class is like releasing a game where you have to buy your character to play it. I am still baffled that after all the money I put in to your game a character slot is a luxury for you guys. I am not from the US, buying your expansion plus a character slot would be about 70$ for me which is ridiculous.

Now the sad part, you prefer losing a customer base who are buying regularly on the black lion with real money because you guys want the extra 10$ on a character slot and not offering it to your loyal players.

Welp today Anet you just made a mess out of your own game and I hope you guys are happy. I had no issue paying 50$ for it but now you are going to lose a monthly 30$ for a 10$ character slot…

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Technically the trait revamp isn’t part of the xpac and I’m 99.9% certain the WvW update won’t be either.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Ofcourse the prize is fine.Lets compare it to one other successfull MMOs.If i wanted to pay WoW i’d have to pay 20$ for the core game + 50$ for expansion which is 70$ in total.For HoT i have to pay only kitten and that is 25$ less than WoW(without even counting the subscription)

Yes, and let’s compare the content shall we? WoW gives you the Core game, plus 5 expansions, 11 character slots per server (100 total slots iirc). GW2 gives Core game plus HoT expansion, with 0 slots for $50 (or $10 more for a slot if you buy with gems), or 1 extra slot for an extra $25, totaling $75.

You can also buy WoW tokens now to pay for your subscription, much like grinding for gold to get gems in GW2.

You know WoW tokens are more expensive than a subscription.And someone always has to buy them with real cash so you can buy it with ingame gold.So it is a win win for Blizzard.

• Token 20$
  • Subscription 15$

That’s only if you want to sell the token for gold.
I’m talking about purchasing the token with gold.

It’s similar to GW2’s “gold→ gem” conversion, except in GW2, gems aren’t needed for a subscription.

Posted by: Nibi.3572

Nibi.3572

I just don’t understand why we are getting the core game with it… That alone makes me think the price was bumped up for that aspect

It seems silly GW2 actual game should come down to 15$ base price and then 30$ for the expansion i don’t understand why i now have the core game twice now atleast let me give the core game away to a friend if i am being forced to buy it again

Posted by: Kury.8210

Kury.8210

If getting what you paid for was the real issue, I’d sympathize with all the complaints, but if people are just gonna complain that new players get the core game for free, then well…

Honestly, I’m pretty much in the same boat. I do think $50 is a bit much and will wait for sales, but if that were all then who am I to tell a company how much they should charge for their product? I only started feeling strongly on the issue after reading the thread about the FAQ change and some guy who had convinced his friends to buy the game recently.

FAQ thing may have been poor communication. People buying the game now is in part bad luck. Nevertheless it reflects poorly on ANet. I love these guys and their game, but I’m hoping they can somewhat resolve these issues.

Posted by: ArrogantHero.4965

ArrogantHero.4965

People on these forums are complaining about the value of the GW2 expansion. I believe that everyone is titled to there opinion, fair enough. BUT if you have ever went to go see a movie when it first came out YOU ARE A HYPOCRITE!!! You say GW2 expansion cost too much but you will spend $10-$20 to see a 2 hour movie.

Shifu.4321

they only care about money… no matter new player or existing player need to spend $50. that will increase their income. no matter what.

Well,yeah that’s how paid expansions work I guess?

AWACS.6537

It’s not really free, but rather free WITH HoT. It’s like buying a hotdog sandwich and getting a free drink, as opposed to buying the drink standalone. It’s an incentive for new players.

We’re still paying the exact same price for less.
It’s like you pay 5 bucks for a drink.
You pay another 5 bucks for the hotdog.

The new customer pays 5 bucks for both the drink and the hotdog.

No.

Posted by: Cyvien.8049

Cyvien.8049

You can buy the $50 expansion, and buy $10 gems to get your character slots. You only spent $60 with this method.

I’m a scholar, thus I don’t take stance.

Posted by: Quintuplebeta.3914

Quintuplebeta.3914

I get both sides of this argument and honestly I’m going to end up buying HoT regaurdless but my only problem is that players that have had the game for a while will be getting less value for the same price. a problem that pertains to me: I saved up money and I currently do not have a job so I only have the money for the expansion but I have a hankering for that dope Exemplar Attire.

TLDR: I’m getting the game but I believe long time players should get something small for their loyalty (Like a box that lets them choose 1 700-800 gem outfit or some equivilent gem store item. $50 isn’t that bad of a price.