HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: brialex.8520

brialex.8520

i was of the opinion that gw2 and all future content which i assumed included any expansion was free , as we bought gw2 as a one off fee and that was it.
im sorry but i used to play world of warcraft and wanted to get away from buying expansions and the terrible players,well i guess the new expansion does away with one of the things i wanted to get away from.
sorry but i wont be buying any expansions and if you dont buy it then how can you play with guild activites etc,i know i can keep playing gw2 but this has changed my opinion of gw2 it seems its not better than other mmos that you want the new stuff you pay for it,sorry line for me has been drawn,pitty was a nice dream.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

“If you are not a good buy and give us the 50$..and choose to wait for a discount for it, we will force you to pay for each living story content we add during your wait for that discount. You won’t be able to enjoy any story stuff without paying us for daring not to give us the full price.”

Or did everyone on these forums forget every missed LS episode you have to pay for?

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

You don’t have to preorder it. In fact I don’t see the digital version disappearing (physical collectors edition is another story). Frankly I think not pre-ordering is a good thing, gaming has adopted pre-order culture too easily.
If you have doubts then simply wait until release, there will undoubtedly be a bunch of people giving feedback and providing reviews. So you can make a informed decision of whether you want to buy it or not.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Anet already said if you recently bought Gw2 you get it turned into a pre-purchase just contact support.

What about people who bought GW2 not recently, like those – such as me – who pre-purchased it in 2012? What do they get?

The same exact thing you got everytime Arenanet put the game on sale as an incentive.

Why was it okey then and its not okey now? or do you feel this is different? and if you feel its different then why?

CureForLiving.5360

So… Just to clarify… did an Anet dev comment on the first page of this thread to mock us and then not respond to any questions?

You’re kitten right he did ! Bunch of amateurs.

I think I’ll be saying this a lot: offense is never given, but always taken.

Posted by: Toritaka.8390

Toritaka.8390

To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.

To clariy … see img

Arenanet, lie after lie since 2010

Attachments:

(edited by Toritaka.8390)

Posted by: Leopardclaw.4258

Leopardclaw.4258

+1’ing the issue of the base game rope-in instead of something actually meaningful for GW2’s existing playerbase, like a simple character slot. It may end up making the expansion $60 for those who don’t have a free slot already prepared.

While I’ll probably buy the expansion either way to keep up with friends and get my hands on the Revenant class and elite specs, it will be grudgingly after seeing what exactly we get from those hefty price packages.

Also, RIP new players who bought the game during the HoT hype xD

This active, gem store-spending vet of 3 years is a bit disappoint. Hopefully content will be revealed over the following weeks/months that will make it more worthwhile.

Pugmander & Altaholic | CoSA Blue | Youtube
Asheni Leopardclaw | SBI | SF | Asheni Leopardclaws

(edited by Leopardclaw.4258)

Posted by: Giland.4507

Giland.4507

I will not pre-pay or pre-order until the character slot issuue is sorted.

“In the end, we are all just killers and we couldn’t be bothered to care.”

Posted by: Valmir.4590

Valmir.4590

Nothing. Or maybe greed, if I was cynical.

CureForLiving.5360

We don’t know, wait for more information before you decide to purchase.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

No-one truly knows yet.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

I’ve been discussing HoT’s content with someone before, and I told him that I get the feeling that it isn’t close to what an xpac should be. Then our discussion ended with “well it will depend on the price”. And now look, I was right all along.

So far, here’s what I know we’re getting for sure:
1. New 1 zone, the vertical one. The way they emphasized a lot of times the verticality of this new zone makes me think that this is all we gonna get. A single zone with a lot of floors.
2. New Guild Halls – okay new one! excited about this.
3. New PVP Stronghold
4. New masteries
5. New/Sort of elite spec for each profession (good for you if the new elite works out for your class, if not sorry)
6. New/Sort of 1 weapon choice for each profession (some only get offhand, and tough luck if that new weapon is actually useful on your class)
7. New profession!!! Woot!
8. Replaced borderlands – I repeat, replaced. The new bl maps are supposed to replace the old one, so it means, technically, it’s not part of HoT. Don’t tell me old players who won’t buy the xpac won’t have access to wvw bls?
9. Reworked Normal Specialization – in short, re-worked trait system. Not included in HoT.

And now I believe that is all? How is that even on par with the content available in the base game? There were no mentions of new dungeons and fractal maps even.

It’s like they’ve thrown in the bonus base game to justify the $50 price tag.

If you compare this to what you got for paying $60 for the original game, your list falls quite short of kitten value.

10. New dungeons
11. New Jumping Puzzles
12. New Fractals + ascended gear + lvl 500 crafting.
13. Many many many new skins
14. New pvp maps
15. New Guild Missions
16. New WvW ranks
17. New maps
18. New PvP System
19. New World Bosses
20. New wardrobe system
21. New LFG tool

22. weekly content updates + living story

And all for free in the base game.

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

Posted by: Vakirauta.6397

Vakirauta.6397

I pre-ordered Guild Wars 2 in 2012. Unless I am able to upgrade my account to HoT, I will not be paying $50 for this weak expansion that took 3 years to bring.

The Iron Butterfly

Posted by: Divine eXecution.3709

Divine eXecution.3709

That’s it, no more Guild Wars 2 for me. I won’t be angry, I won’t make accusations, I will just state my point of view:

I won’t pay a FULL game price for something that isn’t. a FULL. game.
Just by comparison you see what got introduced with the release of GW2 and what will get introduced with HoT. I won’t give you exact numbers, but it should be obvious that there is a clear disparity.

• GW2 introduced multiple skill sets with multiple weapons for each profession. HoT just one.
  • GW2 introduced 20+ map sectiosn with lot of things to explore. HoT will about let’s say five (not including what is to come, but then I didn’t include new maps before too).
  • GW2 had multiple character slots. HoT will have ONE additional, but ONLY if you are willing to pay MORE money!!
  • GW2 introduced multiple pvp arenas, and multiple WvW maps. HoT will have only one additional borderland and… well you get it by now.

And the list goes on and on. I hope you guys, also Arenanet, can understand what I am trying to say. HoT is NOT a game worthy of a full game price, I am NOT willing to spend that much money.

P.S.: For those who say: “Don’t be greedy…”, “You don’t have to buy it…”, “You are entitled to nothing…”.
Yeah. I get it. I am not demanding Arenanet to lower their prices. I am just not willing to buy HoT because of the aforementioned reasons.

P.P.S.: I also feel a little sorry for my friend who just bought this game about one week ago, when he could get GW2+HoT for the same price just a little later.

Posted by: Harrier.9380

Harrier.9380

Oi guise! Heavensward is on g2a for less than 20€ right now.
So much for the “industry standard”.

“Men are more ready to repay an injury than a benefit,
because gratitude is a burden and revenge a pleasure.”

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

You say you need the base game, then come out with a big 75% discount sale, and then include the basegame into the expansion anyway.
I wonder how many people bought GW2 on discount, thinking they get a good deal in preperation for an incomming expansion.

Precisely this. How far back will they compensate those who fell for this? Not far, I’d guess.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Base game that comes with it.

Attachments:

Posted by: Zeno Iagara.8540

Zeno Iagara.8540

£35 nope too much, a for the other two packs an extra £25 for vanity items or an extra £45 for the same vanity items and some gems! What the kitten is in those cookies you folks eat?. I know you’re not going to make any changes no matter how much we voice our dissapointment.

Posted by: dragosf.3291

dragosf.3291

The Ele specialization.

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

Everything that is about to come in the next years.

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

Posted by: joeyw.9531

joeyw.9531

Some of you guys are mixing HoT content with not HoT content.

Remember some of the new features such as Stronghold, new Borderland, core specializations or guild halls are for every player.

I guess Anet is not really clear about what exclusive content is for HoT player only…

(edited by joeyw.9531)

Posted by: Kyumy.5370

Kyumy.5370

To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.

To clariy … see img

Arenanet, lie after lie since 2010

I bought the base game for a friend a week ago because of this. And now ANET is telling me that it was absolutly USELESS. I’m disapointed.

Posted by: ManBeerVark.9562

ManBeerVark.9562

Hi, I bought this game for the first time 5 days ago. I feel very cheated now seeing that the original game will be included in this expansion. I’m a student and can’t afford to fork out cash like this, I have very limited income atm.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

They won’t get my money in advance with this rip off and disregard of loyal players.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

No we don’t…Guild wars 2 costs 20e in my country.Hot will be 44e.The way i see it is im being forced to lay down another 20e for a game i already own adding 24e for the expansion pack…Hot is worth 24e,this doesn’t feel right to me.

Posted by: dervix.9126

dervix.9126

P.P.S.: I also feel a little sorry for my friend who just bought this game about one week ago, when he could get GW2+HoT for the same price just a little later.

It was stated that the devs would upgrade you if you recently bought the game, if you send in a support ticket asking them to do so. So, tell him to submit a support ticket and he’ll probably get HoT as well.

Posted by: SuperHeroineNisa.3546

SuperHeroineNisa.3546

I just want the expansion not the base game+expansion… And at least a free character slot for existing accounts that get the expansion please ANet? I want to maintain my chars and try the new class.

Posted by: Volmarg.4310

Volmarg.4310

Oi guise! Heavensward is on g2a for less than 20€ right now.
So much for the “industry standard”.

Oh screenshots are nice, worth checking trial.

Posted by: Divine eXecution.3709

Divine eXecution.3709

Some of you guys are mixing HoT content with not Hot content.

Remember some of the new features such as Stronghold, new Borderland, core specializations or guild halls are for every player.

I guess Anet is not really clear about what exclusive content is for HoT player only…

This only means we are actually getting even less for the HoT price…

Posted by: Skater.9281

Skater.9281

Hi, I bought this game for the first time 5 days ago. I feel very cheated now seeing that the original game will be included in this expansion. I’m a student and can’t afford to fork out cash like this, I have very limited income atm.

There are very many people like this, people i know, people i asked to join the amazing ride not just a couple of weeks back. I feel really bad. Really really kittenty. I hate that i am put in this position. I regret spreading word to my friends about the new expansion.

#kittentyfeelingsarehardtogetridof

Founder /GM of The Renaissance [RISE]

Posted by: allart.3746

allart.3746

I’m sorry, but I won’t be pre-purchasing on these terms. Standard edition doesn’t include a character slot, but includes the core game which I already have. They should offer the option to choose one or the other. Otherwise I’ll just wait for the price to lower and in the mean time I’ll save gold to buy gems for an extra character slot.

Posted by: Giland.4507

Giland.4507

1. Price – I think it might be fair if it was just the stuff that we currently no about then, I think it’s pushing value for money it’s no where near what most MMOs release for this cost. Please dont say that you get LS for free cause that is ANets choice.

2. I think that the core being added in was smart and I am good with it.

3. It’s a moot point for Vets and definately would not be fair for Vet to get another copy of the core unless they use it for a second account.

4. The core of my gripe is te last of expansion slots for value to be able to play the new class. The overall value is starting to worry me simply as it does not seem like we are going to get enough to do which is why alot of people left before, more areas forsure and not adding in WVW and PVP there is large portion of the community that does only PVE. More things they don’t need to spoil but they certainly need to be like tere is more and fair bit more and mostly the lack of communication is the worst part.

“In the end, we are all just killers and we couldn’t be bothered to care.”

Posted by: SigmaOfApeiron.8397

SigmaOfApeiron.8397

I’e defended ANet for years, I’ve been with the Guild Wars franchise for a decade now, and with the uprising of the XPack pre-purchase “problems” I also noticed something..

If this is true, you can either view this as the best marketing strategy ever, or the biggest backstab… ever.
I’ll just mention the standard edition:
You get the HoT XPack and a free copy of the base game. I won’t discuss if it’s overpriced or not, but from what I understand from this, and the video ANet put out promoting the pre-pruchase, once you buy the Standard Edition, you’ll get to choose to link HoT to your existing account, or the new “free” base copy of the game.
Now let’s see, most existing players will, again, most likely, link it to their existing accounts, creating the possiblity of a free base game to give away? To a friend maybe?
Only this friend, will at some point, want the XPack as well, getting him yet anotehr free copy of the base game, and so on.
Again, if this is true, this is an excellent self-propelled butterfly effect, at a global level.

Some clarification on this would be welcome, because I don’t know whether to laugh or cry right now, not because of what’s been stated above(only), but because of this whole situation.

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

I think that was his point

Im just so happy right now my summer is busy and I probably miss HoT release. Before I was slightly mad at my fate… but now Im gonna not miss a thing and probably get HoT on sale after summer when I have time again

Posted by: Insidesource.4173

Insidesource.4173

I’d like to know this too, once i know i will gladly drop $99 but i guess we’ll have to wait it out.

Posted by: Channel.9402

Channel.9402

Player loyalty
Coming from a long time gw player, while trying to grab new player is a good move but neglecting loyal/veteran player by giving them the shorter end of the deal is not. Those player are the one making the expansion possible by purchasing the gam years ago and supporting the game via gem purchase. Without them there won’t even be a expansion as the game would be consider a failure. Move and marketing like this will sent out a vibe that loyal supporter and player are not appreciated and will not bore well in helping the gw and arenanet branding in the future. MMO like WoW strive due to it’s loyal playerbase while company like EA and activision get bad rep for milking it’s player base with map pack and DLC galore. Which type does arenanet want to strive to be?

Pricing is not the main issue
But the perception that i’m not getting a good deal is. It will be a common instinct for people to try and get good value for money for what they’re paying for. So when making a purchase and finding some people getting way more value out of the deal and you do, then you’ll think twice about making that purchase since ur not getting the most out of the deal. It’s like buying a house and a custom made swimming pool deal at a great pricing if you don’t own the house and you’ll only get the swimming pool only if u already own a house. Even if the price is great for people just wanting a swimming pool but it will be overshadow by the fact that other people are getting more value out of the deal.

Honesty and moral high ground
While i doubt a lot of player are affected by the sudden change from “you need the base game to play the expansion” to “we’re giving base game away for free” when it comes to HoT expansion announcement. But the underlying concept of switch selling and capitalizing on player rush buying the original in preparation for the expansion still remain. Anet need to ask themselves if they want to be associated with those practice (well they kind of did it already, knowing or without). Long term wise it will cast doubt on the reputation and integrity of anet on the whole if they practice this type of marketing. Image, branding and reputation is built by the perception of the customer on the decision and management of the company/brand.

My recommendation would be to provide those who already purchase the base game with gems or other substantial fluff/account benefit. example would be a upgrade pack which include the expansion and 800-1k gem. Those gem will provide a means to purchase expansion slot and reward veteran player with some quality of life upgrade or fluff.

While i’m a big spender when it comes to gaming with over 100usd invested in this game, grandmaster member in TSW, lifetime member in LOTR, 200-300 games in steam, 200-300 usd spent in warframe etc etc) i’m sitting this 1 out atm just out of principal.

TLDR version
-appreciate veteran player
-HoT pre purchase sucks if u already own the game
-dodgy marketing grab is a no no
-u ain’t getting anything if player does not think it’s a good deal for them. when it comes to virtual stuff perception is important.

(edited by Channel.9402)

Posted by: Valmir.4590

Valmir.4590

It is definitely not the best marketing tactic. At my level, the price of the expansion was the straw that broke the camel back for two guildmates, who are leaving the game, since they feel it is empty and that HoT won’t be enough.

And it has pushed me from happy player to someone who may leave the game behind later on now.

Posted by: nathanjameson.3542

nathanjameson.3542

adding my name to the list of people thus far. $50 for an expansion involving several maps and a new living story, with nothing else, is far too expensive, for pre-order or regular. i won’t be paying that.

Karma Express – Norn Guardian commander

Posted by: Phyrak.7260

Phyrak.7260

Hey all,

I was looking at today’s offer of pre-purchase for HoT and discussing it with a friend

as it stands:

there are currently two things we get with the offers

A) a title
B) a glider skin

for $50+ this seems extreme

maybe some more animated skins of the glider – baby wyvern would be very cool! XD

My idea of how to make the ultimate seems the best buy
Please keep in mind that this would be split into teirs as it is now

Adaptive Armour:

light, medium and heavy armour skin that adapt to the class you’re playing – all are aethetics

eg.
heavy:
Rev – aura/ spikes/ energy over armour similar to Aegis depending on legend in use
Warrior – added effects to shouts, physical skills and burts
Guardian – blue flame that gets brighter depending on justice

Adaptive Weapons:

as above:

Eg. scepter
Guardian – adds a residual blue flame to each attack
Ele:
fire – #1 throw fire orbs/#2 dragons tooth becomes small wyvern striking
air – #1 comes from above/ #2 comes from caster

etc

Side note: if this were to ever occur – please give a similar skin to this focus please http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Chimeric_Prism_Focus

how would you change up the packs?

would you buy any of the pre-purchases with the above changes?

thank you for reading,

-Phyrak

allart.3746

I totally agree with the OP.

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Goods are only worth as much as people are willing to pay for them. So if enough people pay the 50$ than the game is worth 50$. If you don’t think it’s worth it to you, you don’t pay for it.
However Anet needs to sell, so if enough people show that they are not willing to pay the price, Anets only option would be to lower the price. Most likely disguised as a special offer so they can go back to the higher price after the offer ends.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

CureForLiving.5360

$50/€40/£35 is too much for an expansion (0)
I know there’s a lot of arguments about whether this is true or not, but I just want to know if this is your biggest issue. (also, includes if you think an expansion can cost this much, but that HoT doesn’t have enough to justify it.)

I want to buy Heart of Thorns on it’s own (1)
again, no arguing, just mention if this is what you want to see. may, however, be related to:

It seems to me that these issues are being combined, or more accurately the: I want to Buy HoT on its own… so I can pay less. Let’s face it if ANet added a new version made it $50 and said: this version doesn’t contain the core game, then players would complain that ‘why does it still cost so much’.

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

that would all be cool.

but if you link the expansion to an existing account You Lose the Core Game Copy. that’s it. no alt account, no passing on to a friend. you lose it. you lose it for being an existing customer. and that’s shady as kitten.

Posted by: Skater.9281

Skater.9281

It was stated that the devs would upgrade you if you recently bought the game, if you send in a support ticket asking them to do so. So, tell him to submit a support ticket and he’ll probably get HoT as well.

Hey, Can u specify where it is stated? And is there any mention of what “recently” means , like an actual date maybe?

Founder /GM of The Renaissance [RISE]

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I can’t help but notice there is a promo code field in the purchase page. How about if you give people who already own the game (or at least pre-purchasers of the base game) a promo code so the price can be reduced to $30?

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Lasica.5068

Lasica.5068

My issue is that I can’t seem to buy it no matter how much I try. Neither the in-game purchase nor the website work for me, both just give errors.

Why make sense, when it’s so much more fun to make nonsense?

Posted by: SigmaOfApeiron.8397

SigmaOfApeiron.8397

that would all be cool.

but if you link the expansion to an existing account You Lose the Core Game Copy. that’s it. no alt account, no passing on to a friend. you lose it. you lose it for being an existing customer. and that’s shady as kitten.

That’s what I was, somewhat, hoping for. But that only further strengthens the fact that the base game’s price, for us who paid full price at launch for the base game, is currently at 0.. Zero. This is both shady and downright SAD.

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

It seems to me that these issues are being combined, or more accurately the: I want to Buy HoT on its own… so I can pay less. Let’s face it if ANet added a new version made it $50 and said: this version doesn’t contain the core game, then players would complain that ‘why does it still cost so much’.

some would, but then some people would be happy to just buy the expansion on its own for full price. I don’t necessarily agree with or understand all these views, I just want to get a tally of them.

(edited by Gray.9041)

Posted by: Roo.2037

Roo.2037

What happened anet?
First you say the expansion won’t be standalone and discount the base game so that people can prepare and now that you made some quick buck you do a heel turn, outright remove the option to buy the base game from your store and replace it with an extremely overpriced expansion that only seems reasonable if you didn’t have the base game yet, which we do. In addition, you do not include a free character slot with the standard version of HoT as a bonus middle finger to your old players so that they need to spend an additional 10 bucks/euro (euro shouldn’t be in 1-1 conversion with $ btw but that’s a different topic) to even enjoy one of the main points of the expansion which is the new class.
Your “bonus freebie” excuse is miserable and doesn’t change how you already made hundred of people buy the base game when it was discounted to prepare for Hot just a while ago, not to mention how it treats the veteran players whom you hate with passion and who -before someone comes out with the excuse we got free content- purchased a lot of gems over these years to support you and make future expansions possible.

In attachment there is a screenshot of the expansion faq before and after they announced the pre-purchase deals. I will not reply to the “entitlement” comments from people who enjoy being used, nor the condescending remarks from people who happen to have a lot of disposable income via their work/mommy’s wallet.

Attachments:

allart.3746

The Expansion adds a new class, but does not add a new character slot <- this