HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

What am I gonna do with a free copy of a game I already have? I can’t gift it. Everyone I know that plays video games already has it. I probably can’t sell the code because it is tied into the expansion, which is what I want to buy in the first place.

You don’t even get the free game/code. You get a single code that upgrades your current account to have HoT.

If you apply that same code to a new account with no core game, then you get HoT + the core game.

Existing players get nothing but HoT.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: Alexxander.8306

Alexxander.8306

they have told us its for new players many times now but were too much in a rage to care they need to get money somehow obviously you don’t know how much a video game costs to make and the matter of transparency hah you don’t know business then they don’t have to tell us anything they could say oh yes this will happen and not give jack crap about what we say the fact Anet does care is that they are the rare exception to big business

Fanbase > Income > Anet

Must I say more. Your statement is ignorant and preposterous! Businesses, whether big or small, MUST listen to it’s fanbase if they are to make an income. That’s where all their money comes from.

Sure Anet could treat it’s customers like you stated but they would only become a mocked version of EA or Ubisoft and would lose the fanbase they have today.

At least EA has more than two games, and actually I dont have to lose access to my achievements if I buy an expansion or DLC like I do with Anet.

Posted by: AlexanderFalkor.4765

AlexanderFalkor.4765

sigh why do i bother you wont understand or choose not too which ever it is do as you will i care not ill be buying the expansion with or without input that’s all i care about i can give the code to the core game to my brother maybe he’ll like the game too and we can play it together

(edited by AlexanderFalkor.4765)

Posted by: evoRobot.4019

evoRobot.4019

Please update us with how your issue was handled.

Xscape

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Redit and these forum means nothing.
NC Soft needs money and this is the pricing that they set in stone.

Lots of people already bought in and a change now would seriously upset THEM!
And kittentinkeling of your most loyal whales is truly suicide.

OUR solution is simply not getting the expansion until the next sale. Probalby some time next year, IF this expansion is actually ready this year.

Polish > hype

Alexxander.8306

sigh why do i bother you wont understand or choose not too which ever it is do as you will i care not ill be buying the expansion with or without input that’s all i care about i can give the code the core game to my brother maybe he’ll like the game too and we can play it together

Good for you. Preorder 10 copies, we truly don’t care what you do.

mrstealth.6701

sigh why do i bother you wont understand or choose not too which ever it is do as you will i care not ill be buying the expansion with or without input that’s all i care about i can give the code the core game to my brother maybe he’ll like the game too and we can play it together

You don’t get a core game code, you get a single code for HoT+ core game. You add that to your existing account, and get nothing but HoT.

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

You don’t get a core game code, you get a single code for HoT+ core game. You add that to your existing account, and get nothing but HoT.

I think he will make a new account & give is old account to his brother.
Or a least I hope so because this is gold otherwise.

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

@AlexanderFalkor.4765
In the end, its opinions and morals. You have yours and you feel its perfectly valid, and I’m sure for you it is valid. For others it is not valid and trying to convince them your right and they are wrong will work about as well as them convincing you they are right and you are wrong.

We as consumers/customers reserve the right to feel how we like about certain issues concerning the companies we deal with. We also reserve the right to voice our opinions just as you have the right to voice yours.

Some people are grasping at straws (some of your posts included) while others have very valid complaints and reasons to be upset. Just accept it and let them vent or take whatever course of action they deem fit.

mrstealth.6701

And if you do WvW like me, we will get a new map, and I’m excited for that, but the expansion will do nothing to fix the current problems we have right now (low population issues, coverage issues, unfair matchups).

The new WvW borderland is for everyone, and does not require buying HoT.

I’m not sure about the stronghold pvp map, but I think it’s the same way. It’s not getting a separate pvp queue from the existing pvp maps, so everyone should get it.

(edited by mrstealth.6701)

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

sigh why do i bother you wont understand or choose not too which ever it is do as you will i care not ill be buying the expansion with or without input that’s all i care about i can give the code to the core game to my brother maybe he’ll like the game too and we can play it together

except you can’t give the core game code away, it’s not separate from what has been said…

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

The expansion is different to the core game as i can tell, we got overhaul on traits and skill, we get glider system that allow vertical map exploration, we may get guild mission overhaul as well etc.

It may not contains the same content size of the core game, but how i see is they are making the HoT content much much more replayable. Compare to other game company expansion, they only release new lv, new gear, but the content more or less are the same (more powerful enemy, which require higher lv and gear to fight), HoT is actually providing more “new” contents, new playing experiences, new playing diversity while still non sub based.

paying a normal expansion price, yet i am not getting “same” gaming experience like core game. Instead, it is half of a new game based on my favorite game, i see it worth every penny i’ve paid.

AlexanderFalkor.4765

well then i could just buy him the game with the leftover money i have after buying the expansion it really makes no difference to me

(edited by AlexanderFalkor.4765)

papry.8096

well then i could just buy him the game with the leftover money i have after buying the expansion it really makes no differance to me

Oh yeah this is GOLD!!
You just admitted that you spent your time defending Anet while not having a clear idea of what going on.
XD

Posted by: OtakuModeEngage.8679

OtakuModeEngage.8679

The problem is not that the expansion isn’t worth $50, most mmo expansions are like that and I’m more than willing to pay, the problem is that new players are getting the same amount of content for half the price, that they only need to pay $50 whereas senior/veteran players had to pay $100(50 for original gw2 50 for expansion). How is that fair? How can anyone defend that? It’s like a slap in the face to those of us that have been loyal to the game since launch, that we have to pay more, twice as much even, then the new players to play the same amount of content, that is the problem, that is where anet is screwing us over.

(edited by OtakuModeEngage.8679)

Posted by: KaizerGr.4815

KaizerGr.4815

ill be buying the expansion with or without input that’s all i care about i can give the code to the core game to my brother maybe he’ll like the game too and we can play it together

Even if you buy the expansion you can not give away your free core game key.
Its one key…you either connect HoT with your current account OR start over with a new one.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Free-Core-Game-for-Current-owners/first#post5166405

AlexanderFalkor.4765

well then i could just buy him the game with the leftover money i have after buying the expansion it really makes no differance to me

Oh yeah this is GOLD!!
You just admitted that you spent your time defending Anet while not having a clear idea of what going on.
XD

i don’t care really your opinion means little to me i will do as i want same as you will

papry.8096

Oh yeah this is GOLD!!
XD

i don’t care really your opinion means little to me i will do as i want same as you will

The truth is hard for you but you are right on the last part.

Posted by: shadyrussian.7986

shadyrussian.7986

And this is when I stop playing guild wars 2. Im so sick of companies taking advantage of the individuals that make their company possible in the first place. We buy the game and support the developers by giving them our hard earned money just to only be taken advantage of later on what a joke. I hope they lose at least half the community by doing this.

Alexxander.8306

well then i could just buy him the game with the leftover money i have after buying the expansion it really makes no difference to me

Why are you telling us this? Useless information..

Anyways. I think its pretty much a fact that for those who purchased in the last ~3 months the only viable solution is to make an alt. We havent earned much in the way of account-bound stuff (mostly dungeon token stuff for me). For those of us with full alts, its a waste to lose a slot when I could have 5 and transfer the gold to my superior HoT account. Sure I lose ez access to my primary but again I dont have much invested. Better to gain 5 slots than lose one toon. 1 slot for everyone, and 800 gems for recent purchasers post-FAQ lies would be prudent.

Alexxander.8306

And this is when I stop playing guild wars 2. Im so sick of companies taking advantage of the individuals that make their company possible in the first place. We buy the game and support the developers by giving them our hard earned money just to only be taken advantage of later on what a joke. I hope they lose at least half the community by doing this.

Its going to be bad. With so many buying alts that will mean waves of bots from the reseller keys no longer useful because of HoT. Cant say they dont deserve it.

On the bright side, BDO starts in August. If they can keep the P2W factor at bay I may forget GW2 ever existed, unless somehow they make good on their FAQ deceit and general greasy business ethics.

Posted by: Mooncaller.9634

Mooncaller.9634

What I find most bemusing about this whole episode is I wouldn’t have 3+ posts in this thread and others like it, weariness, worry, new found / rekindled distrust for Arena Net and everything if the $50 basic version of the HoT expansion had included a character slot.

The only reason I ended up in this quagmire is because I went to buy the expansion, I was debating which of the packages I’d get, was about to talk to my wife about which version I’d get and which she’d like, and then ended up doing a total double take and wound up in a very bad taste in my mouth because at $50 the core game is included but no character slots are included even though a new profession is being added.

I cannot speak to the value of the content being added and whether it is worth $50, $10, or $5000. The content is not completely known, I haven’t played through it yet.

With the current pricing:
New to game: $50 USD = 5 character slots, GW2, HoT, 2 bank slots
Existing player: $50 USD = HoT

Cost of new account (i.e. 5 character slots, GW2, 2 bank slots) was what, about $40 USD, but $10 USD if you got it on one of those super discounts.
Cost of 5 character slots and 2 bank slots through gem store is ~5200 gems (~$65 USD).

By objective, non-content, non-speculative metrics, as an existing player I am being asked to leave somewhere between $10 and $65 of value added account features on the table if I buy the expansion in pre-order and add it to my existing account (at ALL price points).

The chutzpa of this really rubs me, a long time GW1 player (a game where I felt very respected as a continuing player) and a long time GW2 player, leaves me feeling very disrespected.

The funny thing is I wouldn’t have noticed, blinked, or cared had the HoT Basic pre-order at $50 USD included a character slot for the new profession.

I wonder how many others wouldn’t have noticed or commented if a character slot was included at all price points?
And I therefore how how much less of a PR “kitten” storm for existing players this would have been, well, and maybe potential players, because this seems to not be trending well on Reddit either.

(edited by Mooncaller.9634)

Posted by: Altapir.2571

Altapir.2571

and actually im just a 19 year old that sits at home playing video games not a paid mod as you say i just see the sense that your missing

Please get out and do some stuff. You will never be 19 again.

I spent my 19th in Chu Lai. Would rather have been in summer of love.

while the concern is appreciated i have a plan of what i wish to with my life im just waiting for the moment to implement it

We all hope it isn’t related to laws…

Posted by: JUN YANG.4328

JUN YANG.4328

only make this change is to stop purchase HOT. if they dont have income they will focus to get price drop

Posted by: funkyazn.9062

funkyazn.9062

Just putting in my two cents, I have bought the ultimate edition. Now said and done, no one was twisting my arm, and in my judgement I thought it was a better deal. After all the backlash and sore flavor left in my mouth about this new business practice that Anet is slowly turning to, all I want is a release date. And still hoping that HoT is even a bigger expansion alot of us could be thinking. And if its not, It will be hilarious from what kind of kittenstorm Anet is gonna have in the future.

They way I see it, its a win if HoT is a big success and this whole problem just goes away and the only topics people will have is balance issues. …..Or if its not, then the asxhole in me just can’t wait how Anet deals with the wrath of their fans….If they still have loyal fans that havent jumped ship yet.

Edit: just had a thought, I don’t know why we didn’t see it before. They did almost the exact same thing during beta of GW2. BUY THE GAME…but we just don’t know when it will be done. kitten , this community (myself included) just loves being slap in the face.

(edited by funkyazn.9062)

Alexxander.8306

The problem is not that the expansion isn’t worth $50, most mmo expansions are like that and I’m more than willing to pay, the problem is that new players are getting the same amount of content for half the price, that they only need to pay $50 whereas senior/veteran players had to pay $100(50 for original gw2 50 for expansion). How is that fair? How can anyone defend that? It’s like a slap in the face to those of us that have been loyal to the game since launch, that we have to pay more, twice as much even, then the new players to play the same amount of content, that is the problem, that is where anet is screwing us over.

This is true, Anets scummy move alienates 2 kinds of users.

1. The legacy user that may paid the full price a long time ago, who has many hours on all alts and will now have to caugh up 800 gems, delete a likely lvl80 toon on all slots, or give into an upsale ultimatum. Also, as you stated, your loyalty and likely history of gem store purchases is worth nothing. They cant even give 2 slots like they did in GW1, or gems, or anything.

2. The new user (myself) who thought the upcoming expansion was an expansion, so I got the game ahead of time. I am new, don’t have much in the way of account bound stuff but I like my toons and dont want to be made to delete them to access content made on an old engine at nearly the cost of a new AAA game. Its weird that there is no stated compensation for either of us. What this tells me, gut instinct, is “run.. go to another MMO… give another dev a try”.

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

And I therefore how how much less of a PR “kitten” storm for existing players this would have been, well, and maybe potential players, because this seems to not be trending well on Reddit either.

This is going to be one heck of a hurdle they need to clear, they let the wound fester and did nothing about it, it has spread like wild fire. By tomorrow I wouldn’t be surprised to see negative reviews plastered all over the place. If this was truly a miscommunication/accident/misunderstanding/callitwhatever they should have addressed it right away with the community. They still would have received backlash but they could have saved face. This is a hard lesson to learn about how things can go from “yay a happy announcement” to “oh snap we are knee deep in poop” and hoping it will just go away. Maybe Anet will finally understand that communication really is key when dealing with consumers.

The majority of this could have been easily avoided.

JUN YANG.4328

i am a long time supporter for GW1-GW2 i bought and play all version since GW. and i got 13 slot, 1 already saved for new class. $50 is find for me.

BUT i am not gona buy it this time.. its all about FAIR. it just not fair to us.

1. The legacy user that may paid the full price a long time ago, who has many hours on all alts and will now have to caugh up 800 gems, delete a likely lvl80 toon on all slots, or give into an upsale ultimatum. Also, as you stated, your loyalty and likely history of gem store purchases is worth nothing. They cant even give 2 slots like they did in GW1, or gems, or anything.

2. The new user (myself) who thought the upcoming expansion was an expansion, so I got the game ahead of time. I am new, don’t have much in the way of account bound stuff but I like my toons and dont want to be made to delete them to access content made on an old engine at nearly the cost of a new AAA game. Its weird that there is no stated compensation for either of us. What this tells me, gut instinct, is “run.. go to another MMO… give another dev a try”.

funkyazn.9062

I’m thinking about FF14. They found a happy ending after kittenting out a so called mmo the first time they released it lol

Posted by: TheToxicFox.8710

TheToxicFox.8710

If I recall, I remember Anet mentioning that ALL it’s content would ACTUALLY be free for GW2 a couple years back. I’m not sure why people even have to pay for this content to begin with.

There are tons of things that haven’t even been balanced yet for the original content and here they are adding this content we have to pay for? I’m really confused. I’m not saying I don’t dislike the idea of paying for content but it sounds hypercritical to me. I enjoy supporting devs that create the content I enjoy but when they won’t communicate with its fanbase, fix or balance content that has needed to be balanced for a long time now, then I’m left wondering how much my word and opinion actually means to Anet.

Posted by: DarkReign.4503

DarkReign.4503

What I find most bemusing about this whole episode is I wouldn’t have 3+ posts in this thread and others like it, weariness, worry, new found / rekindled distrust for Arena Net and everything if the $50 basic version of the HoT expansion had included a character slot.

The only reason I ended up in this quagmire is because I went to buy the expansion, I was debating which of the packages I’d get, was about to talk to my wife about which version I’d get and which she’d like, and then ended up doing a total double take and wound up in a very bad taste in my mouth because at $50 the core game is included but no character slots are included even though a new profession is being added.

I cannot speak to the value of the content being added and whether it is worth $50, $10, or $5000. The content is not completely known, I haven’t played through it yet.

With the current pricing:
New to game: $50 USD = 5 character slots, GW2, HoT, 2 bank slots
Existing player: $50 USD = HoT

Cost of new account (i.e. 5 character slots, GW2, 2 bank slots) was what, about $40 USD, but $10 USD if you got it on one of those super discounts.
Cost of 5 character slots and 2 bank slots through gem store is ~5200 gems (~$65 USD).

By objective, non-content, non-speculative metrics, as an existing player I am being asked to leave somewhere between $10 and $65 of value added account features on the table if I buy the expansion in pre-order and add it to my existing account (at ALL price points).

The chutzpa of this really rubs me, a long time GW1 player (a game where I felt very respected as a continuing player) and a long time GW2 player, leaves me feeling very disrespected.

The funny thing is I wouldn’t have noticed, blinked, or cared had the HoT Basic pre-order at $50 USD included a character slot for the new profession.

I wonder how many others wouldn’t have noticed or commented if a character slot was included at all price points?

Yep I’d get it too if it had a character slot, the way it’s set up most would get the 74 dollar one, maybe was that the plan? The 50 is strange and there isn’t much info on the HoT like you said and this a pre-order for something not even out. I’d like to get it but when I saw that I really don’t understand what they’re doing are they trying for the 75? How they set this up seems very off what the heck happened.

Posted by: olTThreelo.6710

olTThreelo.6710

In today’s world most companies idea of customer service and loyalty is defined by the absolute minimum they can do and still retain your business. If they think the masses will pay $50 + $10 for a character slot, that’s what they are going to ask of you. They have employees there who’s sole job is to get a feel for the community to see how far they can bend it before it breaks.

They don’t care about you or me, they care about what is in your wallet, period. Loyal fan who has been with them for 10 years or someone who has yet to give them a dime, means nothing, it’s all measured in dollars and cents. They will pay you lip service and tell you otherwise, but only a fool believes anything a snake oil salesman tells them.

If enough people complain, they will give you a character slot, but believe me, they probably went into this knowing this might happen and are controlling the situation, guiding the community to ask for as little as possible to make them happy enough to spend more money. Marketing and sales teams are taught how to maximize sales, not make people happy, unless it benefits sales.

(edited by olTThreelo.6710)

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

Just for historical interest here is a thread about what people thought the price would be just after the announcement. Some people were predicting $20 and were told it was way too low, others were predicting 50-60 and seemed to have a similar number of people telling them that was too high.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Questions-about-Pricing-and-Payment-merged/first#post4733837

funkyazn.9062

hmmm i just hope their new fan base will help support them for the next 3 years before the next expansion. Sources tell me that that will cost $150…with a free character slot!

Posted by: snarfrificus.4230

snarfrificus.4230

Anet is pulling a sega with this one, watch out for what it can do.

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

In today’s world most companies idea of customer service and loyalty is defined by the absolute minimum they can do and still retain your business. If they think the masses will pay $50 + $10 for a character slot, that’s what they are going to ask of you. They have employees there who’s sole job is to get a feel for the community to see how far they can bend it before it breaks.

They don’t care about you or me, they care about what is in your wallet, period. Loyal fan who has been with them for 10 years or someone who has yet to give them a dime, means nothing, it’s all measured in dollars and cents. They will pay you lip service and tell you otherwise, but only a fool believes anything a snake oil salesman tells them.

If enough people complain, they will give you a character slot, but believe me, they probably went into this knowing this might happen and are controlling the situation, guiding the community to ask for as little as possible to make them happy enough to spend more money. Marketing and sales teams are taught how to maximize sales, not make people happy, unless it benefits sales.

Yep. They already got that bone in hand to throw to the pack.

Posted by: TheToxicFox.8710

TheToxicFox.8710

This is the best comment I have read in this thread in the past couple hours. Great argument and very valid point. It’s exactly what they’re doing and what they have been doing for a LONG time now.

- Overpriced Gems.
- Currency Exchange (Less Gold for your Gems)
- Cosmetic Skins (Costs an arm. Doesn’t seem like much BUT does add up)
- Holiday events (Nothing is free anymore, event items have to be purchased)
- Items overpriced on Trading Post
- Very little content for biggest sum

I can’t think of any others off the top of my head but I’m certain others could continue this list.

EDIT 1:

Just for historical interest here is a thread about what people thought the price would be just after the announcement.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Questions-about-Pricing-and-Payment-merged/first#post4733837

I figure I’d bring this point up because I read this in the posted link but Anet actually stated all it’s content would be free when the game first launched. They must have changed that in their terms of service as well?

(edited by TheToxicFox.8710)

Posted by: Hammersmash Ureface.2650

Hammersmash Ureface.2650

What’s really kitten ing is when you look at places like reddit, which is kinda like this but without the blind fanboyism that pervades here. It’s an honest look at how people are feeling, sans the need to self-justify simply for pointing out that we’re being shafted..
Gaile has posted here, which means they’re a bit perturbed about the general reaction, because they know as well as we vets do that the sycophants are absolutely not a reflection of the underlying feeling of a community and never will be.
aNet has every right to be worried. They’ve put themselves into the second fecal tornado in a row by thinking once again that we would never object to being not so much “Ripped off”, no worse IMHO. The veteran players have simply been outright forgotten. I think that it’s far worse to be forgotten outright than it is to be deliberately slighted. Far worse.
But what can they do? Go back on their word and change the deals? Admit they were wrong? Nope. I think they’ll sit on this, hoping that the players themselves will present the cheapest possible option, because addicts will happily compromise to get their fix if it’s threatened. That’s what they’re waiting for. They’re waiting for us to sell ourselves sufficiently short to suit their absolute money-grubbery. We got 2 slots with the standard EoTN. With the standard exp, we don’t even get 1, but a new player, well they get 5. That’s greed beyond intelligence. Give you a new class that you can’t play without a byo slot.
aNet, well they’re hoping enough players will jump up and down begging to be given just one. Then they don’t even have to fork out the 2 that they used to give with the GW1 exp…
Between this and Gemgate, well that is strike 2. How many times should a company be forgiven when the obvious becomes so blatantly obvious?

Since GW1 – [MLM] – Meeting of the Lost Minds

(edited by Hammersmash Ureface.2650)

Posted by: Guyver.1426

Guyver.1426

Totally agree with you.

Why customers who supporting the game since launch date don’t get any offer/discount/gift (I thought we can get something special in expansion but i’m wrong)? But we have to “subsidy” latecomers core game cost.

You get some new comers but lose old one. What is the logic of this bad marketing decision?

Posted by: smitske.4912

smitske.4912

Hey all,

We understand that there are many opinions and suggestions about the game versions and the pre-purchase program. We will continue to read your thoughts and thank you for sharing them.

Edit to add: We will share your input with the team.

In all fairness I found it a pretty good show of how disconnected you guys are with the community that you thought we would just go with this, I mean was there nobody there who said “yea this won’t go well with the community” (almost did a trahearne there). Because you shouldve seen this coming a mile away, responding so late on it not too well either.

Posted by: DarkReign.4503

DarkReign.4503

This is the best comment I have read in this thread in the past couple hours. Great argument and very valid point. It’s exactly what they’re doing and what they have been doing for a LONG time now.

- Overpriced Gems.
- Currency Exchange (Less Gold for your Gems)
- Cosmetic Skins (Costs an arm. Doesn’t seem like much BUT does add up)
- Holiday events (Nothing is free anymore, event items have to be purchased)
- Items overpriced on Trading Post
- Very little content for biggest sum

I can’t think of any others off the top of my head but I’m certain others could continue this list.

This is why games in general are getting to 100 dollars US for new titles and DLC and expansions are so rampant as well look at new releases/pre-orders. People just pay and pay don’t care pay more for less (down-sizing products) everything is like this and it’s pretty bad how most just play into it… People that actually see this are considered whiners? More like thinkers before buying. A lot probably bought the 100 or 75 already without a care in the world but they are just feeding this monster.

funkyazn.9062

Hey all,

We understand that there are many opinions and suggestions about the game versions and the pre-purchase program. We will continue to read your thoughts and thank you for sharing them.

In all fairness I found it a pretty good show of how disconnected you guys are with the community that you thought we would just go with this, I mean was there nobody there who said “yea this won’t go well with the community” (almost did a trahearne there). Because you shouldve seen this coming a mile away, responding so late on it not too well either.

hmmm they were probably too busy putting the trailer for guild halls together.

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

You guys should compare WoW expansion reveal to HoT, or even ff14 heavensward. Most of MMORPG are vague about their expansion too, there are no weekly live stream about the content neither weekly detailed blog post. Just check wow MoP reveal page, all they did are listed features and a very short portion of the reveal video and that’s pretty much it. How much more do you guys want? Anet won’t tell you every detail neither but that’s the same with every game expansion ever. People are having ridiculous expectations and it bothers me.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

You guys should compare WoW expansion reveal to HoT, or even ff14 heavensward. Most of MMORPG are vague about their expansion too, there are no weekly live stream about the content neither weekly detailed blog post. Just check wow MoP reveal page, all they did are listed features and a very short portion of the reveal video and that’s pretty much it. How much more do you guys want? Anet won’t tell you every detail neither but that’s the same with every game expansion ever. People are having ridiculous expectations and it bothers me.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: olTThreelo.6710

olTThreelo.6710

Hey all,

I don’t really see where there are many opinions? There seem to be two. Either you think Anet can do no wrong and are happily going to pay, at the minimum, $50 for an expansion or you think Anet is taking advantage of people, especially those who have been around for a while. What are the other opinions as I might be interested in one of them?

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

FUN FACT TIME:

… You would have enough money to buy the Ultimate edition, even if you only wanted the standard version.

I just briefly glimpsed over the official announcement date(s) and most specify 24th January 2015.

Since then it’s been around 149 days, correct me if I’m wrong, haha.

So that’s $149 total @ $1 per day saved since that date.

Ultimate edition is $99.99 USD (pretty much ~$135.00 AUD)

You’d have enough money to buy x 1 of any available editions.

Is there anyone else who saved some form of money since the announcement for this expansion?

I’m still waiting on any further details before buying, just in case!

JUN YANG.4328

$135 AUD for expansion???
you can pick any brand new game in JBHIFI…

Posted by: dervix.9126

dervix.9126

Hey all,

I don’t really see where there are many opinions? There seem to be two. Either you think Anet can do no wrong and are happily going to pay, at the minimum, $50 for an expansion or you think Anet is taking advantage of people, especially those who have been around for a while. What are the other opinions as I might be interested in one of them?

There’s not really much of a need for that level of semantics.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I think the big issue at hand is that simply put, the content in HoT to our knowledge thus far isn’t worth the $50.00.

Nope that’s a different argument all together.
There are several arguments currently going on: One is that the price is too much. Now a related argument is that the game is more expensive because the core game is being included. A unrelated argument is that veteran players aren’t getting as good a deal as new players so ANet should give them something in order to make it more fair.

Why not just sell the complete game for $60.00 like at launch, since after all the content is new, but offer an upgrade for say, $30.00, since the base game as of yesterday according to ANet was worth $40.00

Well because ANet has valued the expansion at $50, not $40. They have decided either that the value is $50 or that to recoup the costs of development the expansion has to be $50, some thing inbetween or completely different. And again this isn’t what OP is arguing about.

I think the big issue at hand is that simply put, the content in HoT to our knowledge thus far isn’t worth the $50.00.

THIS.

Yeah sure. But we should realize that the price is separate from Veterans wan’t to be rewarded for being Veterans.

Been gone over a year and came here to see what’s up with this expansion e-mail I just received.

Doesn’t seem like much for the price, but it’s hard to say without knowing more. I was hoping you guys knew more, but I see it’s a high priced mystery to everyone.

And this leads us perfectly into it’s not worth it argument. If $50 is too much, or you feel not worth it then simply don’t buy it or wait until you get more details. Although by all accounts lets ANet know. However at the least realise that we don’t know about all the content yet. ANet could still reveal more content and make the $50 price tag look more acceptable or they could reveal more content and reinforce the idea that $50 is too much. However at this point we don’t know. Not truly.

What’s irrational about wanting the full information of what you are purchasing?

Very likely this is actually referring to veteran player who have 1000+ hours of entertainment from GW2 wanting ANet to give them extra stuff for playing a game that they paid for, and arguably have already gotten their money’s worth from.

Entitled? Yes, I’m entitled to know what I’m buying before I pay for it. A minimal (?)expansion at a full-game price w/o so much as a character slot thrown in?

I’m entitled to go play other games, whose publishers show me what I’m getting to justify their pricing.

That’s not the entitlement anyone is talking about. The entitlement is: veteran players want to be rewarded for being veteran players.

1 region which includes 3 maps (You forgot Drytop and Silverwaste.)

We don’t know actually. This is a valid criticism to the pre-purchase. We simply don’t know how much we’re getting for our money, not truly. We don’t know how many maps were getting, if we’re getting new dungeons or raids or anything else.

They are old players, they had 3 years of entertainment, sure, but they also supported the game for 3 years, there are people who sent hundreds if not thousands of dollars in gem.

But one would imagine they got in-game items for those gems. They gave ANet money and they got something in return. It’s not like players have been giving ANet money and getting nothing in return.

They can at least expect to be treated equally as the new comers, but not worse….

Relatively speaking. But they’re no being treated badly.

and there are also players who bought this game not long ago, because Anet clearly indicated that you need to buy the core game to buy the expansion, says woodenpotato, and now you basically get it for free and for who ever bought the game hearing that you need to buy the core game to buy expansion are screwed, which is a new low in business standard

This is another valid criticism, poor communication on ANet’s side. In think ANet should give players who purchased the game since announcement some sort of a discount of reward. I know ANet probably didn’t intend for this to happen, but some players have purchased the core gaming thinking they need it for the expansion.

Posted by: Dirven.3021

Dirven.3021

Oh yeah this is GOLD!!
XD

Oh my god, take the shame! Come on, take the shame! Haha, this is definitely gold.