HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

No game in history has ever asked its existing player base to pay more to continue their game than new players. EVER..

Well, we can start a list if it helps. Secret world has done three times with different offers when a new dlc hits and they bundle core and old dlc for less than vets paid. Lotro has done it. I believe Anarchy Online did it a long time ago too with a particular bundle.

Also, anet arent asking vets to pay more in this instance. Its the same price. The core game is free for those needing it. I understand calls for more value to vets, but vets arent paying more money.

Posted by: Frost.1503

Frost.1503

I don’t have nothing to do xD…..
Anyway just for say that i’m dissapoint with this new expansion. I hope not only the people will not buy it, but they stop buying things from black lion. Becouse if is this the treatment for veteran player I will stop support Arenanet.

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

You could, you know, buy it and play pvp and stronghold and fractals, experience the specializations. If you play for 100 hours, that’s 50 cents per hour. If you don’t have anything to do, you might as well consider that for a minute.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

If it was the price of EotN, I could probably even forgive the lack of an extra character slot.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

I don’t know why people seem to think finally getting around to adding a feature that existed in the original game (ie Guild Halls) is such a big thing- they should have been in at the start.

Skill updates, etc should have been happening every month, instead they hold them all back.

Dumbing down the trait trees and restricting build choice and stat selection is being sold as an ‘expansion’.

Grinding for mastery points, 3-4 new maps which we know nothing about, a new race, the inevitable hugely buggy wvw map (first new map since launch) and one new spvp map and the usual spam 1 zerg fest mechanics.

Sounds well worth the money…..

I’ll be playing gw1 for the foreseeable future- you know, the game with guild halls, templates for builds, real teams, hard missions and no face palm one shot cheese mechanics.

I’m sorry but they’re not adding a feature like Guild Halls in the original Guild Wars 1. If it was just an instanced room with some merchants that you can squirmish in, you might be right. But it’s not.

They’re doing something very different here. Giving you an entire zone. Creating a fight for that zone. ALlowing you to build structures in that zone. Allowing you to decorate it and move stuff around in it and rotate it. Allowing you to duel and squirmish. What they’re doing here isn’t a Guild Hall like you have in Guild Wars 1 and probably shouldn’t be mentioned in the same breath.

You’re right. Instead of having multiple maps to fight proper GvG battles on involving different tactics, etc they are giving you a play pit about the size of a postage stamp which you can add a couple of bits too and calling it an ‘arena’, instead of having a nice base where you could add all the merchants, links to other areas, and an area to walk around in.

Yep, not worth mentioning in the same breath- GW2’s ‘Guild Hall’ is a pale imitation of what Guild Halls were in Guild Wars.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Posted by: thewaterguy.4796

thewaterguy.4796

Hey A-net here is an idea! Instead of hiding behind your fan-boys and PR youtubers how about you actually come out with an official statement on the matter? Don’t get me wrong everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the fact that A-net are being so dodgy about this topic speaks volumes about how sleazy this is.

sigh I don’t think this was a deliberate kick in the face, this was very obviously something someone thought would be a good idea and then did it without thinking of the consequences, but that doesn’t excuse you from your mistakes, own up to them and figure out a way to fix them instead of just pretending they don’t exist

Look A-net I appreciate all that you have done, and I’m sure the “Free game for new players” sounded great on paper, heck I’m not denying it’s a great deal for new players, BUT are you really so cheap and greedy that you can’t kitten give players who already own GW2 800 gems or a Base Game Code to create an alt account?

You can’t ignore this, and the longer you do the more the wound festers and the more kittened off vets you will have, and as a result the less HoT will sell simple as that, and if you do ignore it, well good luck explaining to your bosses at NC-Soft why most of the existing playerbase didn’t buy HoT

(edited by thewaterguy.4796)

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

Cut these people some slack. They are not so much defending ArenaNet’s pricing policy, but rather their own purchasing decision. After all, agreeing with this angry mob that ArenaNet gives bad deals, would mean that they would have to admit that they fell for a bad deal. Nobody wants to admit to being a sucker.

By the way, I am not claming the current pricing scheme is a good deal or a bad deal. I have not purchased the expansion myself, so far.

you actualy think someone cares what the angry mob thinks of them?

ps:i bought it 8-)

No, they don’t care what the angry mob thinks about them. They feel they must defend their purchase against the angry mob’s accusations, because otherwise they must draw the conclusion “I am a sucker”.
What they are telling themselves is “I am not a sucker. Therefore, I must have paid a fair price. Therefore, HoT must be priced fairly. Therefore, the angry mob must be wrong.”

And this reasoning has nothing to do with whether the angry mob is right or wrong here.

I do enjoy and feel okay with my purchase, if that makes you think i am a sucker, then so be it.

I don’t think they will reduce the expansion price for the veteran anyway, and if you don’t buy it at the end, its your own call. Hope at the end you won’t “be that sucker” if they keep the cost as is.

for me it is not about the cost. for me it is about the fact that i have to buy the core game again while i own it already WITHOUT getting something in return for that except an expansion pack which is basically defined as DLC. I will buy it regardless, when my economy allows me (my sons birthday just came up before the pre order thing but i do not care about the beta stuff tbh). but honestly the thing is more about players who got the core game already and no alternative being in place for those players with the standard edition or paying an extra 10 or 25 dollar for having this little extra. (which is not going to cost arenanet anything really)

for me it would be nice to have this expansion with the ability to choose either the core game OR 1 extra character slot. that would be nice and give alternatives for existing players and new players alike.
I love this game, I love the things the developers come up with. the art, the gameplay (mostly) the ideas, lore, creatures, animations, well, prety much all of it. and all this “hate” and anger is not so much pointed towards the developers, it is towards the kittened money pull and grab ideas of their marketing team, THEY are responsible for this total F"#“¤” up, not the devs.

Posted by: Fauxfox.7318

Fauxfox.7318

Yea don’t buy the expansion if WvW or PvP is your base. All you will be paying for is the new spec’s and class.. I don’t think that would be worth it.

I’m sooner going to spend my money on steam sales tbh.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

can we stop saying we’re only getting a single map? Even worst everyone it taking that as a fact. We know for a fact that is not true.

Actually what we know for a “fact” is that they have said that there will be multiple maps. Something claimed is not a fact until sufficient evidence is present to prove it.

I believe them.

That doesn’t make it a fact. Anet has specifically stated that pre live announcements are always subject to change. Until anything hits live nothing said about it is a factual description of what it will be on live.

Posted by: jrdp.1856

jrdp.1856

i mean Guild wars 2 by far is the cheapest investment of MMOs…

Rift: From 0$ to 37.49$ if you want all the classes with the more expensive pack
The Secret World: 7.95$ the basic edition to 35$ the massive edition

Not by close man, not by close….

Posted by: thewaterguy.4796

thewaterguy.4796

It’s funny in a sad way because it’s kind of true….

It speaks volumes about the lack of management and communication A-net has with the community in general

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I wish I could’ve bought Deluxe version, but luckily I’ll be able to upgrade as it’s stated in the FAQ.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Fauxfox.7318

Fauxfox.7318

lets say you bought gw2 2 months ago.. well fork over another $50.

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Give me your stuff?

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: Acrisor.8097

Acrisor.8097

There is no more secrecy. There is only this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

This video is epic. Thank you.

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Send me your stuff?

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: Elodium.7263

Elodium.7263

So basically, you dont do anything besides PvP and an ocasional dungeon, and then when a game or expansion comes out with a lot of features you dont like or care about, you call it expensive.

Do you understand that a lot of us do play ALL aspects of the game. Okay, 45e is a bit prices, but in the long run, I know I’ll get my moneys worth.

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

I bought 30 Ultimate versions, for my family, neighbours, taxi driver and even for that 2 aliens hovering above my house in their space ship.

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

I was a keen pre-purchaser right up until pre-purchase was announced and then I wasn’t.

What happen? I hesitated…..

I can very much relate to this. At first I was doubting what pakkage (Deluxe or Ultimate) I would get. At least until someone told me about the core game being included inside HoT. I would encourage Anet to sell a package including the both games at a discount price. But not if it’s the only option.

I’ve played GW2 since release and am still very happy with my purchase. But i’m not willing to buy HoT with a core game that I can’t use. If I can get a bonus character slot instead of the (extra) core game I would have bought the game yesterday.

Right now, i’m not sure what to do. I’ll just keep waiting for Anet to respond

Seconding this. I was pretty happy to go for the expansion, but they way Anet is acting has me thinking again.

It’s not that I don’t want to buy HoT, but I can’t bring myself to while they’re acting this way…

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Posted by: WSG Delen.9203

WSG Delen.9203

I’ve played GW2 since release and am still very happy with my purchase. But i’m not willing to buy HoT with a core game that I can’t use. If I can get a bonus character slot instead of the (extra) core game I would have bought the game yesterday.

Right now, i’m not sure what to do. I’ll just keep waiting for Anet to respond

Hit the nail on the head here, similarly for me. The whole situation just does not seem to sit right with me. Especially since I know at least one person who would have to dish out for an extra character slot in order to make a new character with the new Revenant class and they can’t even really afford to dish out for the base package. If I end up getting HoT myself, I may get a base edition copy for them too BUT it still does not sit right with me.

People talk about people feeling “entitled” but everyone has the right to be dealt with fairly and reasonably including A-Net as an entity. As it currently stands though, it seems that A-Net are not being fair to existing account holders. It is less about entitlement and more about business ethics IMO.

A simple (and perhaps fair-ish) answer would be that if you have two GW2 base game keys associated with a single account you get double the starting character slots (an additional 4 slots for existing account holders).

(edited by WSG Delen.9203)

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

Okay, I’m confused. How do people seem to know how much content we’re getting when the expansion isn’t even out?

I’ve not been in any of the Beta’s for HoT, but I can’t see them giving access to every single zone anyways.

While we don’t know exactly how much content is in HoT given the information we have been given it is a safe bet that it does not equate to 83% of the original game (which was 60$ at launch). We could be wrong and many of us might take back what we said once more info is released but as of now the xpac isn’t worth 50$.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: Goraz.3754

Goraz.3754

There is no hurry.
The smart move is to just wait and see what happens and decide at a later date.

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

No game in history has ever asked its existing player base to pay more to continue their game than new players. EVER.

WoD created a system where if you pay 10 dollars , you get a mechnic that increase a charcter upto 90 lvl (100 was max)

WoD implanted this system in the Standard pre-persuded regadles if you want it , for a total 50$ dollars (normaly 40$ dollars)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt9S_p91Z6c
(check the 30 first secs of the video)
Ppl in the forums and in MMo champion where going Apekitten :P

And in order to increase their sales near the August(after just 4 months) , they offered a bundly with all x-packs + this lvlup mechaini for 50$ dollars

PPl where forced to pay 10$ dolars for the lvlup mechanic
Nwer ppl get more fetures that the ppl that bought the pre-persude , 4 months ago

(edited by Killthehealersffs.8940)

Posted by: Acrisor.8097

Acrisor.8097

If you think you get enough content for 50$, go for it and buy it now.
If you don’t think you get enough content, then do not buy it yet.

I wonder if people bought the content of HoT (partially known) with no release date, or if they bought all the hype and promises for this first expansion.

Anyway, the decision is yours, and money are yours (until they leave your bank account).

Posted by: DragonHeart.7201

DragonHeart.7201

So I have no idea if this one was posted before, but for the love of comedy and humor:

Title: ArenaNet Developer Speaks Up About HoT Cost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZspKoupWAY

Posted by: Undeadkemea.4865

Undeadkemea.4865

Get yer torches and pitchforks here!
Only €9,99 for a starter riot package! Now includes extra cloth and oil for your torches and whetstones to sharpen your pitchforks!

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

I may buy the $100 package from them with my wife when it launches for sale, but I don’t think I will give them money for pre-purchase just on principle of pre-purchasing being bad for the gaming community. There’s a lot of potential with this expansion, and just because the initial content at launch isn’t necessarily going to be big doesn’t mean that they aren’t going to be releasing content patches; because they are.

Posted by: elinos.7493

elinos.7493

Already spent half of my 4k gems on extra bank space and inventory slots. Feels good to have 160 inventory space.

Posted by: Frost.1503

Frost.1503

So I have no idea if this one was posted before, but for the love of comedy and humor:

Title: ArenaNet Developer Speaks Up About HoT Cost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZspKoupWAY

Hahahahh too funny!!!

Posted by: agrante.2810

agrante.2810

I don’t care about offering the core game free with the expansion, although I understand why some veteran players may feel outraged about this.

For me it’s just that considering what we expect to get and the previous pricing policies (also for other games) it feels overpriced, with a poor bundle of extras for a pre-purchase. Some of the features like guild halls should’ve been in the core game from the beginning anyway!

I think bundling in an extra character slot and lowering the price 10 €/$ for the base package would’ve been the consensus and the sweet-spot to have most of the community happy and spreading hype all over the internet, instead of outrage and boycott.

This whole thing looks like terrible PR and I’m not sure how much it will actually hurt the company – not only economically but also in morale – and if a more modest pricing and generous bundling wouldn’t have payed out more in the long run. I guess we’ll never know for sure.

The whole silence after the community’s reaction isn’t helping, either.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

This is not really one of those threads complaining about the price of the expansion, I just want to check if I understand something correctly:

<a href=“https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/HoT-Price-Feedback-Base-game-included-merged/”> in this thread </a> someone from anet says that with the purchase of the expansion people get the core game as a free bonus.
I already own a copy of the core game, thus if I purchase the expansions, I should have 1 account which is upgraded to HoT, and one account which is just the core game,
which is given to me as a free bonus (I could give it to a friend or something like that)

have I understood the situation correctly (I hope I have because otherwise it would seem that some people are getting more than others, while paying the same price)

edit: the hyperlink thing doesn’t seem to work, oh well..

That would be something at least, but no.
You’ll end up with a single account upgraded to HoT.
That bonus core vanishes into thin air as soon as you choose to upgrade.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

I won’t be buying it either. I have been playing since GW1 Prophecies. But this…. this is so un-respectful from arenaNet. I actually have to pay extra for a character slot… And i don’t even get the core game for another account while they say “Core game = free bonus”. Where the f. is my bonus?

Just check this out,, this is by far the best example of what Anet is doing.

http://puu.sh/itAcM/bffe1e0ea4.png

Posted by: Merlin Heir.9021

Merlin Heir.9021

People are talking about not wanting to buy the game until they are told how much new content they will be getting for their money, but even if they release a list of all the new things coming to the game, how much of it is really exclusive to people who pay for HOT? I paid €60 to buy the game on pre-order and i had a choice of 8 classes. Now I’m expected to pay €50 to get 1 new class and what else?

Leader of League of the Legendary [LOL]

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Some of the features like guild halls should’ve been in the core game from the beginning anyway!

This has been my biggest gripe with all this since the beginning. I remember their PR talk before GW2’s release.

“When its done” -they kept saying.

Well the game I bought wasn’t done. It was lacking a lot of stuff. The camera and targeting were broken. Dozens of quests were bugged, dozens of traits and skills were bugged. The final boss was unfinished, there were no elite areas, no endgame, the dungeons were clearly rushed, and no guild halls.

Now we finally get guildhalls, but we have to pay $50 bucks…. really? For an expansion without a bonus character slot? Those guild halls should have been in the game on release! The game is called GUILD-WARS for crying out loud. GW1 had guild halls!

Posted by: NecroN.8306

NecroN.8306

Well, people keep speculating about why HoT was $50 at all, saying that the free game for new players is factored in, or because Warlords of Draenor was $50 (the most expensive expansion in WoW’s history, and tied w/ HoT for the most expensive MMO expansion ever, atm), or that maybe there is just a mountain of new content that Anet hasn’t shown us yet that makes this kitten expansion.

But, if you go back to January 8 (a few weeks BEFORE HoT was even announced), you can find a a 2015 Yearly Projections statement made by Daewoo Securities, currently the LARGEST stock brokerage and investment bank in South Korea, in which they said that NCSoft would release an expansion called Heart of Thorns (weeks before the announcement) and then projected that Anet would sell at least 2 million copies of the expansion at $50 each. This is not a “guess” by analysts about the positive outcome, this was the largest brokerage in Korea saying “You need to sell 2 million copies of this expansion for $50 each or you will NOT make your quarterly projections for the end of 2015”.

You can read a summary of this on Daewoo Securities website here: http://goo.gl/ziO33b

This is essentially like Goldman Sachs telling a company “You must raise the price of your products by 15% this year, or your stock price will drop”. Goldman Sachs, of course, has no authority to actually raise those prices, but as the largest investment bank in the US, they can do more than just predict how stock prices will move.

So that’s it. $50 is the price. It kind of has to be. Maybe Anet will throw in some extras, I don’t know. But if you’re wondering “Why are they giving away the core game w/ the expac”, it’s it NOT entirely because they want to increase the game’s population in order to give everyone playing a better experience. It’s not even about adding more customers to the Gem Store, or anything like that. NCSoft was given a mandate from the most powerful investment bank in the country that essentially said “You must sell 2 million copies of this product at $50 each just to meet yearly projections… or else!”

So yeah, don’t expect a price drop.

So that’s the trick. Have your investors throw out some unrealistic numbers well in advance and say well that’s it your stuck nothing we can do. They can reach their unrealistic goal without my money.

(edited by NecroN.8306)

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

Ok Guys, I’m taking bets. how many pages will this thread run before we see an official response?

Place your bets NOW!

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

Why is everyone comparing to WoW? GW is much closer to Diablo 3, and THAT expansion costs like 26 euro. Anyway, I don’t want to compare at all. Just look at the content, and at this moment I would say: 19,99 euro is reasonable. Not much more.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

can we stop saying we’re only getting a single map? Even worst everyone it taking that as a fact. We know for a fact that is not true.

Actually what we know for a “fact” is that they have said that there will be multiple maps. Something claimed is not a fact until sufficient evidence is present to prove it.

I believe them.

That doesn’t make it a fact. Anet has specifically stated that pre live announcements are always subject to change. Until anything hits live nothing said about it is a factual description of what it will be on live.

Actually we do know there are multiple maps beyond their claim which should be more then enough. Like I said we know there are 5 maps for sure.

1. being Verdant Brink
2 being Lost Precipice *1
3 being Gilded Hollow *1
4 the Forgotten City *2
5 Dont know the name *2

*1 http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=36174
“the guild halls are physical places that exist on the world map”

*2http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=36174
“Clearing these areas will be tied to the maps they are adjacent to”
“The first is the Guilded Hollow, a monolithic cavern beneath the jungle that connects to the Forgotten City (which can be seen in a few of the previously released trailers)”
“he other guild is the Lost Precipice, which lies in the Northwest on the border between the jungle and the Northern Maguuma Wastes”

Beyond that they also stated there are 3 biomes. So it stands to reason each biome should have at least 1 map. I know there is the theory its just 1 map with 3 biomes but thats EXTREMELY unlikely. I do believe this video for example proves thats not the case: https://youtu.be/KeF7GjsGJgM?t=3268
If it was just 1 map with 3 biomes how come when he falls beyond a certain amount he is teleported back up. Should he hit the ground with there still being a cave right under that?

Posted by: kpeatop.9458

kpeatop.9458

100 is a safe bet

Poor marketing ANET.

Posted by: Randall.7306

Randall.7306

This is a community that decided it was appropriate to get up in arms about an april fools day joke that had our characters making airplane noises, and this was somehow bad because a single plane somewhere on the planet just happened to crash ‘recently’.

There is no pleasing people, and no matter what you give them, they will find something to complain about. Me? I complain about people complaining.

I’m from the region from where that plane took off. Several people from nearby cities were dead.

I welcome you to find my complains in this forum. Because there are none.

But I expressed my concerns with this issue.

Why are you assuming that I was not only complaining back then, but get up in arms about that thing, if is not true?

Putting all complains that happens over time in the same bag, as you’re doing, only serves one function. To divide the community between “we, the good ones” and “you, the whinny whinny complainers”

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

It’s up to 76 pages already. I think we’ll easily go beyond a hundred. But maybe I’m being way too cautious.

Posted by: Jitsuryoku.9038

Jitsuryoku.9038

Finally some official word from the devs…

This has to live on!

Posted by: Cbomb.4310

Cbomb.4310

WOW provides a lot more content for $50 for starters.

I don’t think there is $50 worth of content, and not providing a character slot for that is effectively a huge “kitten you” to the whole playerbase.

But the main reason I won’t be buying HOT is that I don’t think the content that’s come out in the 2.5 years since release has been any good, so I don’t really see much value in investing any more money into the game when it’s not providing content I’m interested in playing.

It’s that simple.

Since you are no longer intersted in the game. Can I have your stuff?

Go kitten yourself.
I’ve had friends give me their stuff /uninstall because of this and I dont think its funny at all. I’d much rather have my friends playing with me and this just isnt helpful.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

They have a sales revenue goal of $100,000,000 (2 million units at $50 each). One of two things will happen:

1. They will meet or exceed that goal and keep the price at $50 until sales significantly drop off.

2. They will fail to meet that goal and will quickly drop the price in order to increase the number of units sold (in order to mitigate their losses).

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: xbutcherx.3861

xbutcherx.3861

ANET I hope you better come up with the most amazing expansion ever, so far you have disappointed all your community with you balanced fixes, and now you expecting us to pay $49.99 for an expansion like it is a whole new game.
Plus the 6/23 changes are just plain horrible and disgusting, please listen to your game community.

Posted by: HeliaXDemoN.1208

HeliaXDemoN.1208

Ok Guys, I’m taking bets. how many pages will this thread run before we see an official response?

Place your bets NOW!

113 pages

Posted by: Jitsuryoku.9038

Jitsuryoku.9038

Basically the core game is free if you already own it. Meaning your copy of the game costs 0$ and you’re gonna pay for the core game just like any other new player.

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

It’s not a bonus. If you like to take advantage of the ‘free’ core game, than the best option is to start a new account, and use the old one to support the new one.

Posted by: ReiCH.6273

ReiCH.6273

Morning everyone, so still no dev response to this?

In most games, Casuals are the majority. In GW2, Casuals are the game. Azumi.9572