HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Straylight.7529

Straylight.7529

Again with the “insecure” bit. If all you have are insults then have no argument or justification for defending Anet’s shady business tactics. Logic is lost on you.
Does Anet know you’re handing out free HoT weekends?

Being insecure is not an insult. I’m often insecure of what I’m doing. I usually apply the “wait and see” approach. I’m sorry if you feel this is an insult.

I’m not handing out free HoT weekends. I never said I would. It’s just a suggestion that might help people who’re on the fence whether to buy HoT or not.

I really don’t know why you are so worked up. Just to quote my original post again in which I tried to offer you a solution:

If you’re insecure about how much HoT has to offer, don’t preorder. Wait until release, watch some reviews, maybe there’s even going to be a “free to play weekend” and purchase later. Problem solved.

That is not an insult.

(edited by Straylight.7529)

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

OMG, people are still going on about this? Have you ever played wow,ff14 or any non f2p with expansion? They all do more or less the same thing, and those are p2p games. You also should not buy any new release video game in the future too cause eventually they go on sale and you spent way more than new players. Gosh.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

And you’re assuming that ANet doesn’t value the price of HoT at $50.

Seera.5916

OMG, people are still going on about this? Have you ever played wow,ff14 or any non f2p with expansion? They all do more or less the same thing, and those are p2p games. You also should not buy any new release video game in the future too cause eventually they go on sale and you spent way more than new players. Gosh.

It will likely keep going until ANet says something about it. Then there will be responses to that before it calms down. Depending on what they say will determine how quickly or how much it dies down.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I can understand that some players are big fans of the game, and have full confidence in Anet as a company. What I do not get, is that some players proudly announce how they’ve forked over $50 or more for a product that isn’t finished, has an unknown release date, and unknown contents (although what we know of the contents does not justify its price tag).

What you are basically saying is “Money has very little value to me”. And while I understand that some players know they will get the expansion eventually anyway, I don’t think that supporting this business practice is a good thing. You are basically part of the problem by supporting this pre-purchase nonsense, which is bad for us as consumers.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

warbignime.4610

It will likely keep going until ANet says something about it. Then there will be responses to that before it calms down. Depending on what they say will determine how quickly or how much it dies down.

This is already diving down, there are way less people complaining than a few days ago. Also here is a fact , majority of players are happy with pre purchase. I’m not talking about people on forum, I’m talking about people in game. Just go in game and ask at lion arch or any other major hubs. The majority of response I got are positive. People who are unhappy with the situation are more likely to go on forum and complain.

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Yet still no reponse.

Have you not noticed how sensitive the community is?
They’re probably on there twenty seventh draft, trying to choice the exact wording that will have the community only slightly throwing a tantrum (cause let’s face it a tantrum there shall be, so it’s degrees were talking about here).

Clearly they haven’t thought of the fact that the community wouldn’t be so outraged by everything they say if they actually communicated with us on a regular basis instead of pretending we don’t exist, then.

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

Yet still no reponse.

Have you not noticed how sensitive the community is?
They’re probably on there twenty seventh draft, trying to choice the exact wording that will have the community only slightly throwing a tantrum (cause let’s face it a tantrum there shall be, so it’s degrees were talking about here).

as I heard someone else say on another thread – people are always gonna complain. it’s when everyone’s complaining about the same thing that you’ve got trouble.

I don’t think it’s possible to please everyone. but I do think it’s possible to come out with something reasonable enough that only a handful of people will continue to complain.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

I can understand that some players are big fans of the game, and have full confidence in Anet as a company. What I do not get, is that some players proudly announce how they’ve forked over $50 or more for a product that isn’t finished, has an unknown release date, and unknown contents (although what we know of the contents does not justify its price tag).

What you are basically saying is “Money has very little value to me”. And while I understand that some players know they will get the expansion eventually anyway, I don’t think that supporting this business practice is a good thing. You are basically part of the problem by supporting this pre-purchase nonsense, which is bad for us as consumers.

Agreed.

Posted by: Beast Sos.1457

Beast Sos.1457

This isnt WoW or ff14….

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

For some, simply announcing a new class is worth $50, or a new map or specialization or whatever. People view value differently, for me $50 + another $10 for a slot is not a whole lot of money but its by no means worth throwing away (my issue isn’t price, its principle). Maybe for Johnny down the road, $50 is a lot of money, maybe Johnny works twice as hard as I do for a lot less pay. Maybe the added $10 for a character slot is the difference between his kids getting lunch for the week or not having lunch.

The same can be reversed, some people have or make much more money than the rest of us so to them $50 is next to nothing. Some people throw $50 away on something many of us would view as insanity.

Everyone Values money differently, some people really do save up to be able to afford their couple hours of entertainment during the evenings, while some of us can afford to just whip out our CC without a second though.

Beast Sos.1457

For sure because its not worth that. The amount of content coming with it is minimal for a expansion. They are just trying to milk this expansion as much as possible.

Posted by: Odyssey.2613

Odyssey.2613

+1
Boy oh boy, do companies sure love impulse buyers!

The dev team has proven they can’t balance a 2×4 on a cinder block.

Seera.5916

For sure because its not worth that. The amount of content coming with it is minimal for a expansion. They are just trying to milk this expansion as much as possible.

You don’t value it at $50. ANet may value the content (some of which we likely don’t know about) at $50.

What you value the expansion at doesn’t suddenly make that what everyone values it at including ANet.

Beast Sos.1457

This is already diving down, there are way less people complaining than a few days ago. Also here is a fact , majority of players are happy with pre purchase. I’m not talking about people on forum, I’m talking about people in game. Just go in game and ask at lion arch or any other major hubs. The majority of response I got are positive. People who are unhappy with the situation are more likely to go on forum and complain.

Then why when I asked in-game most people said they wont buy it as is?

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

wise words webtoehobbit., +1

Beast Sos.1457

You don’t value it at $50. ANet may value the content (some of which we likely don’t know about) at $50.

What you value the expansion at doesn’t suddenly make that what everyone values it at including ANet.

How can you claim the amount of content justifies the price?! Thats kittenin crazy. Honestly youre just a white knight so there is no point in arguing with you.

warbignime.4610

I am taking screen shots right now for a survey, and I will make a thread for it later. Wait and see.

Beast Sos.1457

I am taking screen shots right now for a survey, and I will make a thread for it later. Wait and see.

Even if youre right. Most people who arent going to buy the expansion dont even log on any more so that can easily explain it.

Posted by: Castaliea.3156

Castaliea.3156

I blew 200$ and got the Ultimate for both my Wife and I. Why? Because it doesn’t matter what more is or what isn’t in it. We plan to continue playing GW2 for a long time and to do so we will need the expansion. Sure you don’t “need” it to play but if you’re going to continue to get the most of the game let’s face it, getting the expansion is really a necessity. We also buy gems regularly so we got a small little deal with this particular package.

This however does NOT stop me from being vocal as hell about how incredibly displeased I am with the way this entire thing has gone down not only relating to what you have said about “complete lack of known facts” but also the simple fact that in reality ANet completely shafted veteran players for whatever reason while giving a great deal to newcomers. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for them. Quite frankly though I’m appalled anyone at all sits there and defends this sort of treatment to anyone, veteran or not much less attack other with terms like “entitled” and “Childish”. It’s not childish at all to want (or even demand) a more fair bargain for both new and old players.

HOWEVER I completely disagree with your post and your poor choice to attack those who have have already bought this item with slander such as “What you are basically saying is ‘Money has very little value to me’.” and passing off an opinion “(although what we know of the contents does not justify its price tag).” as a fact. My wife and I feel there has been clearly 50$ or more worth of content/features revealed already. (Especially considering the ridiculous cost of many Gem Store items.) I fully understand what you’re trying to say and do and I fully support that goal however you have gone about it the wrong way in this post. Are you going to attack me for pre-ordering the next Call of Duty or Battlefield as well? (Not that I’m going to. Ew.) I’m pretty sure they don’t reveal every aspect of their games before release as well. How someone else decides upon the monetary value of an item is NOT for you to decide or attack. Ever.

Guild Leader
Sempai Said I Was A [QTpi]
Apply @ | http://sempaisaid.enjin.com |

(edited by Castaliea.3156)

Posted by: sniperman.1738

sniperman.1738

Well imo as a veteran player I personally don’t care that new players are getting the core game for free. Because my mentality is good for them, thats more people to play with and maybe more new people for my servers WvW. To many Veterans are outcrying that its not fair like a child, however what they don’t realize is that this deal could gain them new players in there guild, new players for there wvw environment and so on and so forth. Plus lets be realistic most expansions are 50 bucks or more. Now on that note I don’t know i’m a veteran myself and just disappointed at the other veterans who would be so hard headed and selfish as to hinder the chance for our community to grow.

One of the Main Commander’s Grims Bane
Darkhaven
PPT Pusher/Fightmander

Posted by: neonis.3974

neonis.3974

Claim the core game is free when you are actually charging a extra $10 for it forcing the players who have the core game to re-buy it. Not adding character slots so that hundreds of thousands of players need to buy them making Anet millions just off character slots….GG

So let’s ignore the 3 years of free content Anet added to the game. Any MMO company sell their core game at great discounts to get fresh players and that includes bundling it with Xpacs.

If you don’t think HoT is worth $50 don’t buy it and wait until it will be sold at a discount in the future.

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

People still banging on about this? Eh… go post in one of the merged threads you’re in no way adding anything new

Anet still ignoring us?

Beast Sos.1457

Claim the core game is free when you are actually charging a extra $10 for it forcing the players who have the core game to re-buy it. Not adding character slots so that hundreds of thousands of players need to buy them making Anet millions just off character slots….GG

So let’s ignore the 3 years of free content Anet added to the game. Any MMO company sell their core game at great discounts to get fresh players and that includes bundling it with Xpacs.

If you don’t think HoT is worth $50 don’t buy it and wait until it will be sold at a discount in the future.

It wasnt free content….We paid for it with gems. People seem to forget how much Anet makes off the gem shop. No MMO sells their first expansion with the core game for free.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

That is not an insult.

Perhaps you didn’t mean it as an insult but calling someone insecure is generally not well received. I would suggest the word unsure instead of insecure.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Phoenixlin.8624

Phoenixlin.8624

Well imo as a veteran player I personally don’t care that new players are getting the core game for free. Because my mentality is good for them, thats more people to play with and maybe more new people for my servers WvW. To many Veterans are outcrying that its not fair like a child, however what they don’t realize is that this deal could gain them new players in there guild, new players for there wvw environment and so on and so forth. Plus lets be realistic most expansions are 50 bucks or more. Now on that note I don’t know i’m a veteran myself and just disappointed at the other veterans who would be so hard headed and selfish as to hinder the chance for our community to grow.

So you are telling us that “Pay 50 bucks for inviting new players to your guild.” You do not even care the FALSE ADVERTISEMENT and SCAM action that ANET is committing right now. You care the new players only.

Seera.5916

How can you claim the amount of content justifies the price?! Thats kittenin crazy. Honestly youre just a white knight so there is no point in arguing with you.

Where in my post did I say I valued it at $50?

All I said was ANet may value it at $50.

But yes, I would be happy to buy HoT at possibly the $75 mark. I feel I could get 75 hours of enjoyment out of HoT exclusive content and what the Deluxe package offers. I’m still personally debating on whether I can afford the $100 pack or not.

I’m personally waiting to see what if anything Anet does about this whole situation just in case it’s only for people who haven’t already pre-purchased. There’s no huge item that pre-purchasing gives you. Just guaranteed beta access and a title.

Edit to add: And just because I think I will get $75 out of it, doesn’t make me a white knight.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Claim the core game is free when you are actually charging a extra $10 for it forcing the players who have the core game to re-buy it.

The core game + the heroic edition was being sold for $10. How much was just the core game worth?

If you did buy the game for $10, note that it also came with $20 worth of gem store items. Additionally, just be logging in every day, the account holds a value of ~$4 per month.

Posted by: DarkSyze.8627

DarkSyze.8627

People still banging on about this? Eh… go post in one of the merged threads you’re in no way adding anything new

If you dont like it dont comment

" Solutions To A Problem Can Only Be Found, When You Want To Get Rid Of It "
Ankur

Beast Sos.1457

But yes, I would be happy to buy HoT at possibly the $75 mark. I feel I could get 75 hours of enjoyment out of HoT exclusive content and what the Deluxe package offers. I’m still personally debating on whether I can afford the $100 pack or not.

I’m personally waiting to see what if anything Anet does about this whole situation just in case it’s only for people who haven’t already pre-purchased. There’s no huge item that pre-purchasing gives you. Just guaranteed beta access and a title.

Edit to add: And just because I think I will get $75 out of it, doesn’t make me a white knight.

If youre saying you would buy it for $75 then that means you think the price is justified.

Beast Sos.1457

Claim the core game is free when you are actually charging a extra $10 for it forcing the players who have the core game to re-buy it.

The core game + the heroic edition was being sold for $10. How much was just the core game worth?

If you did buy the game for $10, note that it also came with $20 worth of gem store items. Additionally, just be logging in every day, the account holds a value of ~$4 per month.

That doesnt change anything. They are still charging us for the core game and claiming its free. Also the fact that they didnt add a character slot just shows they want to milk us as much as possible.

Posted by: Quiznos.4296

Quiznos.4296

Almost completely stopped playing due to lack of content, and now you have ensured that I will definitely not be coming back. Bye bye!

By giving you more content? The very lack thereof that made you almost stop playing?

Jeez, the logic of some people..

Except they’re not giving it. They charge the price of a full game for it. It probably has less content than a full game and they ticked existing players off by throwing the core game with it for free for new players but not giving them a discount.

Did you expect it to be free? Of course you have to pay for it.

“It probably has less content”. Yeah, you don’t know how much content it has, no one knows.

They didn’t tick me off for giving new players the core game for free. I’m actually happy for the new players. It helps the game to grow.

If the goal was to grow the game they could’ve done a simple $1 off expansion for each core sale referral. And left core cost at $5. They would’ve not only gotten people to strongly promote the game (in an attempt to get HoT for free) for them, but they would’ve made significantly more money. Instead of $0 for core, even a single referral would bring in $4. And HoT could’ve stayed at $50.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

I have a friend I have been trying to drag to GW2 for a while and I had mentioned to them about a expansion coming when it was first announced. Recently I went to tell them that a pre-purchase was announced. When I simply mentioned that core game was costing around $40 weeks ago and expansion is going to cost $50, and that new players are going to get the core game for free plus the expansion, while current players are going to get only the expansion for that price, their immediate reaction was like “Wth? That sux for vets”. And I even hadn’t gone into details yet like no character slot included for that price and that not much had been revealed about it so far.

Posted by: Sinope.5630

Sinope.5630

So you are telling us that “Pay 50 bucks for inviting new players to your guild.” You do not even care the FALSE ADVERTISEMENT and SCAM action that ANET is committing right now. You care the new players only.

This what Phoenixlin says is what is the issue in here. It is called Business Ethics. If company is violating Business Ethics, whole situation looks shady. What they did before and after pre-purchase started was violating Business Ethics. In point of view of Business Ethics, Anet is not anymore totally “clean” company. Even they try to fix the situation, that situations should have never occur.

Whole pre-purchase business is kind of stretching Business Ethics too. They are selling product what customers haven’t seen totally. There is no guarantee that the product is exactly what customers believe it to be.

So @sniperman, if Business Ethics is not important to you, to someone else it is very important. If you think that companies are allowed scam you and others as much as they want, that’s fine. But it is not fine in long-term perspective.

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

This will be merged.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: DrMatt.9408

DrMatt.9408

give it a rest now, I think the point has been made.

Quiznos.4296

My guild is full, I don’t play WvW, most if not all servers/worlds are “full” or “high” population I believe, and the mega server system in place combats low populations.
I’m ok with the game growing. But for me? No, I don’t need it to.
I’d certainly like it to, don’t get me wrong, but I’d rather get a core key to give to someone I know I want to be a part of the community I play with. Not some random bloke who may leave a month in.

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

give it a rest now, I think the point has been made.

Anet has yet to answer, so I would argue that no the point has not been made to the ones that need to see the point.

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

… If the goal was to grow the game they could’ve done a simple $1 off expansion for each core sale referral. And left core cost at $5. They would’ve not only gotten people to strongly promote the game (in an attempt to get HoT for free) for them, but they would’ve made significantly more money. Instead of $0 for core, even a single referral would bring in $4. And HoT could’ve stayed at $50.

If they had simply given veterans the “free” core game with the expansion, veterans would’ve handed out the core games to their friends like candy. “Try this game! It’s really fun and I just got an extra copy you can have!”

Instead, they are NOT giving the “free” core game to veterans the same way they’re giving it to new players. Big mistake, in so many ways.

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

No. Price is the problem. The price for what were getting is too high.

Seera.5916

If youre saying you would buy it for $75 then that means you think the price is justified.

You called me a white knight for thinking the price was justified before I said the pricing was justified.

Posted by: IchbinVol.5407

IchbinVol.5407

If they had simply given veterans the “free” core game with the expansion, veterans would’ve handed out the core games to their friends like candy. “Try this game! It’s really fun and I just got an extra copy you can have!”

Instead, they are NOT giving the “free” core game to veterans the same way they’re giving it to new players. Big mistake, in so many ways.

I think the reason behind that, is that they don’t want vets selling their keys, and making money.

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Oh boy, another car analogy xD

Alrighty, I’ll give it a shot.

Yes. I think it is fair because you ALSO own that bonus car ahead of time. Not only that, but that car of yours has grown into [insert dream car here] and can mash and transformw with that 30,000 car you’re buying. While the new buyers are driving around feeding their freeby, you’ll be flying around in space shooting car-lasers.

People are making this an issue of fairness by acting over-entitled and not looking at the big picture.

I can agree with your last point, though. I believe a free character slot for vets would be a fair compensation.

I took the car analogy only cause it was used previously in this particular thread. The truth is mostly anything can be used as a parallel but we really don’t have to.

The base point I’m trying to make is same price same product. I’m not arguing the price although it’s a bit expansive to my liking, I’m not arguing the fact that Anet made the decision to not include a free character slot in an expansion featuring a new playable class, I’m not arguing the fact that the package they are offering in pre-purchase are lacking in goodies to make it worth spending money on something that don’t exist yet (Usually the companies would reward people giving money ahead of time with exclusive things or something from the cash shop and they aren’t in this case – Access to Beta doesn’t count since you’re basically working for Anet while doing so :P )

So as you see, I disagree with some of Anet’s decision in this matter but I’m not arguing with them about those because all of that is their decision to make. I understand your point of view, I bought the game almost 3 years ago and got plenty for what I paid for, no complaint here. I still disagree with you on the package thing. They decided to add the core game as a free bonus, everyone should have it, that is now part of the package. It might sound kind of twisted but to me, saying Some get X + Y and Others get Y for 50$ feel like discrimination. It’s not as bad as race, sex, religion discrimination, but it’s similar to me.

I think Anet has to do something about it anyway because as it is now, they are not winning by not doing anything. Money wise, they will diminish their revenue by not answering this issue.

Here’s what will happen if they do nothing v/s if they find a way to “compensate” those who already have the game:
- New players: Little change, most will join the game whatever happens except some that know a player that feels cheated : Little loss if nothing is done but probably negligible
- Players that don’t see a problem: No change whatever Anet do
- Players that feel cheated: Some will still buy the game, some will wait for a sale and some will not buy it and leave: Some loss v/s no loss, hard to evaluate but there’s gonna be some loss there

Of course whatever Anet does, some people already left the game and won’t come back, some will not buy the game because it’s too expensive to their liking, etc., but those are gone whatever Anet do lol. Business wise for the matter at hand, giving us customers more options, a different “bonus” for those who already have the base game or just plain giving an additional core game key if you already have it = more people buying the expansion = more money.

We can debate all night (actually we did lol) but I believe we’ll both stick to our opinion on that matter. I won’t convince you or the others that think like you and you won’t convince me or the others that think like me. But I think we can both (all) agree that more options = more money for Anet and thus would be a good business decision to try to please more people

Alright, off to bed for me, have a good one

Actually, now that your wording has changed and a few finer details were clarified, I agree with most of what has been said here. I would also like to add that many of the problems that A-net are facing right now are a product of poor communication. Hopefully these situations will be eleviated shortly.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Want to pay less for Heart of Thorns?

Then simply wait!

The price will come down. It always does. Then the people who paid the full original asking price will be here on the forums complaining that they wouldn’t have paid so much if they had realized the price was going to drop.

Or you could ask for the expansion for your birthday, or a Holiday gift. Then it’ll cost you ZERO.

But the BEST part of this idea? Let the OTHER guys deal with all the bugs! Maybe it will be halfway playable by the time you finally get it!

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Quiznos.4296

I think the reason behind that, is that they don’t want vets selling their keys, and making money.

This is a fair point. But even with that in mind. A referral program would’ve been a great idea…. oh well, maybe on the next xpac…

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

Maybe it’s all a matter of a degraded trust between us, the playerbase and ANet over the last couple years.

The community once again absolutely boiled over in toxic hate and rage, due solely, in my opinion, to a further eroding trust between silent devs and a playerbase that was tired of being kept in the dark.

If you look at the history between ANet and us, the players, the trust has been eroding for quite some time. I think this may finally have been the straw that broke the camels back….

I hate to see our community the way it is, but ANet’s silence doesn’t help anything either. The longer they prolong a response to very valid anger and rage, the harder it will be to build that trust again with the devs.

I really hope that trust can be restored, cause that is what will keep this game successful and profitable.

Some people say silence is golden, well Anet has been silent sice the release of GW 2 for the most part, trust is earned right it’s all completely gone in my case.
I also hope it can be restored and it doesn’t need to take time, but it does have to start now, I’m looking in your direction Anet.

You want me to buy it tell me specifically how many zones are added like next week not in 2 months. Others are forthcoming why aren’t you?

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

If the price drops I’ll just think of it as the Steam Summer Sale. Games you get for $9.99 may be $4.99 later on. Sure if you wait there may be a better deal, but there isn’t always.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Posted by: Lyger.5429

Lyger.5429

So day 5 eh…hopefully we’ll get some word from arena this week.

Posted by: Apolus.3157

Apolus.3157

And you will have to pay for Season 3 and 4 if you wait too much.

warbignime.4610

The people complaining on forum, I can guarantee you most of them will but HoT they second they hear people talking about it after release. This is what happens every times.