HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

You aren’t buying the core again. You are buying the expac. The core comes free for new players, but you aren’t paying for it.

Posted by: Fluffy.6058

Fluffy.6058

You aren’t buying the core again. You are buying the expac. The core comes free for new players, but you aren’t paying for it.

You are buying the core game and then getting the exp and with that price just for the standart package is just to freaking high for poeple that allready own the kitten game

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

You are buying the core game and then getting the exp and with that price just for the standart package is just to freaking high for poeple that allready own the kitten game

The dev post in this thread is very clear. No matter what you feel about the price point, or the value, the expac is £35/$50. The core game is free, the price has not been risen to cover it.

Whether the value you are receiving or whether you think the price itself is too high is an entirely different matter and is still openly being discussed.

Posted by: Kityn.8247

Kityn.8247

Extremely horrible pricing model. Paying for something that you already own. I don’t care that GW2 core game comes ‘free’ with HoT. You are basically throwing away an entire account. Current GW2 owners should get something when they purchase HoT other than a throw away account. I would be happy if 2000 Gems came with it.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Extremely horrible pricing model. Paying for something that you already own. I don’t care that GW2 core game comes ‘free’ with HoT. You are basically throwing away an entire account. Current GW2 owners should get something when they purchase HoT other than a throw away account. I would be happy if 2000 Gems came with it.

You’re not paying for something you already own. It’s a free bonus for new accounts/characters.

Kityn.8247

You’re not paying for something you already own. It’s a free bonus for new accounts/characters.

Then why does it feel like it? And why does so many people agree with me on this?

Ayrilana.1396

Then why does it feel like it? And why does so many people agree with me on this?

They don’t understand how sales/promotions work? It’s the same people that would say that a buy one get one 50% off means that each item is 25% off regardless even if you buy only 1. It’s the same people who thing candy single candy bar is half price when you buy only one during a buy 2 get 2 free sale.

Giving the core game is a way to get new players into the game which is important for any MMO. They market the product so that all new accounts from now on will get the core game, plus all previous expansions, by purchasing the latest expansion. Anyone can take advantage of this regardless as to whether they are a new player or veteran so long as they follow the criteria outlined in the promotion.

You also have companies that repackage products together. You often see this with GOTY editions which contain the core game along with all of the expansions. The value that players had when they first bought the game and expansions at their original price is not diminished when someone purchases the GOTY edition at a lower cost.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

Just pre-ordered. My initial hesitation was eliminated by ANet’s honorable actions these last couple of weeks.

I bought the lowest-priced option. The more expensive editions had nothing I wanted. No, the expansion slot was not a factor other than showing ANet’s good intentions.

Your mileage may vary.

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

You do realize that the “free” account is a virtual item, and nothing real is being “thrown away”?

Posted by: sinican.9250

sinican.9250

They don’t understand how sales/promotions work? It’s the same people that would say that a buy one get one 50% off means that each item is 25% off regardless even if you buy only 1. It’s the same people who thing candy single candy bar is half price when you buy only one during a buy 2 get 2 free sale.

Giving the core game is a way to get new players into the game which is important for any MMO. They market the product so that all new accounts from now on will get the core game, plus all previous expansions, by purchasing the latest expansion. Anyone can take advantage of this regardless as to whether they are a new player or veteran so long as they follow the criteria outlined in the promotion.

You also have companies that repackage products together. You often see this with GOTY editions which contain the core game along with all of the expansions. The value that players had when they first bought the game and expansions at their original price is not diminished when someone purchases the GOTY edition at a lower cost.

More like you and folks like you haven’t competent critical thinking skills, or just aren’t educated enough to realize nothing is “free” in business.

Those “free” core games that are included do have a cost. The cost is the value they would have made on the core game hadn’t it been included in the bundle. The bundle’s pricing IS reflective of the costs being passed on to the consumer under the guise as something free. They are manipulating the information in a way that makes the core game appear free to those who may innocently trust ArenaNet a little too much, or who are unable to get beyond the gimmick, hype, anticipation, excitement, etc.

Also, your argument is in response to a position that you made up with your poorly structured straw-man logical fallacy. The way you attempt to explain how stupid “they” are is beautiful irony.

I like the idea of making the core game free… to everyone, via digital download; when it doesn’t need to be packaged together with the expansion, because then we know that cost isn’t affecting the price directly.

(edited by sinican.9250)

Ayrilana.1396

More like you and folks like you haven’t competent critical thinking skills, or just aren’t educated enough to realize nothing is “free” in business.

Those “free” core games that are included do have a cost. The cost is the value they would have made on the core game hadn’t it been included in the bundle. The bundle’s pricing IS reflective of the costs being passed on to the consumer under the guise as something free. They are manipulating the information in a way that makes the core game appear free to those who may innocently trust ArenaNet a little too much, or who are unable to get beyond the gimmick, hype, anticipation, excitement, etc.

Also, your argument is in response to a position that you made up with your poorly structured straw-man logical fallacy. The way you attempt to explain how stupid “they” are is beautiful irony.

I like the idea of making the core game free… to everyone, via digital download; when it doesn’t need to be packaged together with the expansion, because then we know that cost isn’t affecting the price directly.

Sorry but no. The expansion was going to be $50 regardless as to whether the core game was included for free to new accounts or not. How much cost do you think is remaining from the project they had to develop GW2? It’s a rarity that games cost $180-200 million although that has recently started to change. Let’s assume that GW2 cost $180 million to develop.

They also sold 3 million copies of the game by January 2013 at about $60 each ignoring the price from the collectors edition. That’s $180 million in sales having them break even. Now this is not as simple as I’m making it out to be but this gets my point across. They likely have already made back their investment that they had spent developing the game (ignoring capitalization).

In another thread, I have an example where companies take reduced profit, or even a loss, on one product to increase the sales in another. I believe a sale on hot dog buns was the example that I used where it would lead to an increase in sales for hot dogs. Imagine that!

Please do explain how my argument is a strawman and flawed? Are you just saying so because you either don’t understand it or disagree with it yet couldn’t find an argument to counter it? My examples were to point out a flaw in people’s reasonings when they assume any item on sale must be incorporated in the price of another that is part of it or whatever.

Also, if you want to see a flaw in your logic, go to the GW1 game store and compare the price of bundles compared to the individual games.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

does this come with a server transfer ?

if not I am not buying it

my wvw is dead- has been for 2 years

server transfer prices r to high !

do something about the servers

merge them or something I don’t care ,,,,

fix the empty wvw servers it is not fun running around a ghost town

(edited by caveman.5840)

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

I understand very well how pricing works and I’ll enlighten you. The base game is in all 3 bundles meaning a new player is getting a buy one get one free software package while current players get only HoT.

While this makes it easier and more desirable for a new player to get into the game it’s sending a message to current players that we’re a given to buy it so pay up. I own GW2 so I can continue without HoT I’m not a 100% guaranteed sale for Anet.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Ayrilana.1396

I understand very well how pricing works and I’ll enlighten you. The base game is in all 3 bundles meaning a new player is getting a buy one get one free software package while current players get only HoT.

While this makes it easier and more desirable for a new player to get into the game it’s sending a message to current players that we’re a given to buy it so pay up. I own GW2 so I can continue without HoT I’m not a 100% guaranteed sale for Anet.

Yeah, I know the core game is included as a free bonus for new accounts in all three packages. Yes, it does equate to a buy one get one free situation more or less. I’ve stated this before and it’s fairly obvious.

It’s generally easier to get players who are already playing the game to purchase an e passion compared to new players. There’s nothing wrong with trying to focus on being new players to the game and this doesn’t mean that they’re neglecting existing players.

Aidenwolf.5964

Yeah, I know the core game is included as a free bonus for new accounts in all three packages. Yes, it does equate to a buy one get one free situation more or less. I’ve stated this before and it’s fairly obvious.

It’s generally easier to get players who are already playing the game to purchase an e passion compared to new players. There’s nothing wrong with trying to focus on being new players to the game and this doesn’t mean that they’re neglecting existing players.

What is does mean is that New players are getting a far better deal than existing players. I’m being urged to buy a bad deal, that’s the issue.

PugLife SoloQ

Ayrilana.1396

What is does mean is that New players are getting a far better deal than existing players. I’m being urged to buy a bad deal, that’s the issue.

Yeah. And as in one of the examples that I gave, those who only buy one item in a buy 2 get 2 free deal are getting a worse deal that those that take up the offer. That’s kind of how it works. I have also brought up when they sold the game for $10 kne weekend or sold the deluxe upgrade for half price. All vet players who bought those at full price got the worst deal.

I do have a question for you though. If the prices for all three packages were reduced by $20, would you have any issue at all?

Aidenwolf.5964

Yeah. And as in one of the examples that I gave, those who only buy one item in a buy 2 get 2 free deal are getting a worse deal that those that take up the offer. That’s kind of how it works. I have also brought up when they sold the game for $10 kne weekend or sold the deluxe upgrade for half price. All vet players who bought those at full price got the worst deal.

I do have a question for you though. If the prices for all three packages were reduced by $20, would you have any issue at all?

I don’t believe that’s possible as NCSoft priced the expac. Minus the core game the expansion should be between $30- $40 and I’m being generous. I can wait as can others.

PugLife SoloQ

Ayrilana.1396

I don’t believe that’s possible as NCSoft priced the expac. Minus the core game the expansion should be between $30- $40 and I’m being generous. I can wait as can others.

The core game isn’t part of the expansion price. I’m still curious though that if NCSoft did reduce the price for all three packages today by $20 and nothibg else, would you have any further complaints?

Posted by: Dustbite.3670

Dustbite.3670

50€ for an expension is ALOT, for that amount of money u can buy a whole new game. I believe that’s what i paid for the game when it released, so HoT better have atleast 3-4 new dungeons, 6-8 new maps, and alot of new content, or else it aint worth the money.

Old players are getting a slap in the face, if a new players gets a game + update for 50€, and i only get an update, then i want atleast another free account without HoT, and my current account updated, so i could give that “free account without HoT” to a friend or something.

I really dont understand why they didnt create a Game + HoT package, and a seperate HoT package. 50€ for the whole game, and like 25-35€ for HoT would be acceptable.
But ye, i bet they dont earn enough money with the gem store, and wanna leech more from us to keep playing, well i aint buying HoT anytime soon with these prices…

Kityn.8247

I paid $50 when I got GW2 a few years ago. Definitely worth the money. I highly doubt that HoT will be worth $50 as an expansion.
GW2 came with 5 playable races, 10 profession classes, loads of zones, many dungeons, several huge boss battles and a personal story that follows you from levels 1 to 80.
HoT expansion brings no new playable races, 1 profession class , and I highly doubt even 3/4 of the content that GW2 players enjoyed when the game first came out.

50€ for an expension is ALOT, for that amount of money u can buy a whole new game. I believe that’s what i paid for the game when it released, so HoT better have atleast 3-4 new dungeons, 6-8 new maps, and alot of new content, or else it aint worth the money.

Old players are getting a slap in the face, if a new players gets a game + update for 50€, and i only get an update, then i want atleast another free account without HoT, and my current account updated, so i could give that “free account without HoT” to a friend or something.

I really dont understand why they didnt create a Game + HoT package, and a seperate HoT package. 50€ for the whole game, and like 25-35€ for HoT would be acceptable.
But ye, i bet they dont earn enough money with the gem store, and wanna leech more from us to keep playing, well i aint buying HoT anytime soon with these prices…

I would be perfectly fine with this.

(edited by Kityn.8247)

Posted by: sinican.9250

sinican.9250

Sorry but no. The expansion was going to be $50 regardless as to whether the core game was included for free to new accounts or not. How much cost do you think is remaining from the project they had to develop GW2? It’s a rarity that games cost $180-200 million although that has recently started to change. Let’s assume that GW2 cost $180 million to develop.

They also sold 3 million copies of the game by January 2013 at about $60 each ignoring the price from the collectors edition. That’s $180 million in sales having them break even. Now this is not as simple as I’m making it out to be but this gets my point across. They likely have already made back their investment that they had spent developing the game (ignoring capitalization).

In another thread, I have an example where companies take reduced profit, or even a loss, on one product to increase the sales in another. I believe a sale on hot dog buns was the example that I used where it would lead to an increase in sales for hot dogs. Imagine that!

Please do explain how my argument is a strawman and flawed? Are you just saying so because you either don’t understand it or disagree with it yet couldn’t find an argument to counter it? My examples were to point out a flaw in people’s reasonings when they assume any item on sale must be incorporated in the price of another that is part of it or whatever.

Also, if you want to see a flaw in your logic, go to the GW1 game store and compare the price of bundles compared to the individual games.

NO YOU!. None of that matters, you do realize. Keep being a fanboi. You really are lost.

More red herring logical fallacy BS. Dude get a clue. If you don’t understand a straw man yourself wiki has a pretty explanatory page. Reread your nonsense after reviewing logical fallacies and tell me what is still valid after you are done. Just to clarify your red herring is a besides the point distraction.

(edited by sinican.9250)

Ayrilana.1396

NO YOU!. None of that matters, you do realize. Keep being a fanboi. You really are lost.

More red herring logical fallacy BS. Dude get a clue. If you don’t understand a straw man yourself wiki has a pretty explanatory page. Reread your nonsense after reviewing logical fallacies and tell me what is still valid after you are done. Just to clarify your red herring is a besides the point distraction.

So rather than argue against me you’re going to use insults such as fanboi and spout off fallacies that don’t even apply?

Posted by: Kitsune.1902

Kitsune.1902

However this has absolutely nothing to do with voluntarily passing a ‘buy 2 get 2 free’. This is ‘buy 1 get 1 free’, except that the offer doesn’t apply to those who have an existing account. And that is the issue here. Furthermore the ‘free’ portion is distinctly targeted to one subgroup of the target audience, and meanwhile would have little value to the rest even if it was offered (e.g. separate key for core game).

Doesn’t really matter how you want to twist it, the fact is the deal is significantly better for new players, than it is for existing players. And it’s plain and obvious that it’s deliberately made to be so. That’s where the feelings of unfairness come from.

(edited by Kitsune.1902)

Posted by: WSG Delen.9203

WSG Delen.9203

Doesn’t really matter how you want to twist it, the fact is the deal is significantly better for new players, than it is for existing players. And it’s plain and obvious that it’s deliberately made to be so. That’s where the feelings of unfairness come from.

It depends on what you call significant, if we assign a value of say 800 gems/10 UKP to the core game (which is the lowest price I have heard of it being sold at) then for pre-orders A-Net have addressed the imbalance in VFM between new/existing account holders by promising an additional character slot for existing account holders who pre-order HoT.

While the additional character slot (worth 800 gems) may not be what some people would have wanted it does represent a show of good faith on A-Net’s part to try to redress the VFM imbalance. It also leaves the post-release situation imbalanced for existing players who decide to wait to buy HoT after it has been released/reviewed.

The secondary debate of overall VFM with relation to the HoT content (which affects both new and existing players equally) is an interesting one and but generally pointless since I doubt A-Net are going to budge on the price regardless of our opinions on the matter.

Ayrilana.1396

However this has absolutely nothing to do with voluntarily passing a ‘buy 2 get 2 free’. This is ‘buy 1 get 1 free’, except that the offer doesn’t apply to those who have an existing account. And that is the issue here. Furthermore the ‘free’ portion is distinctly targeted to one subgroup of the target audience, and meanwhile would have little value to the rest even if it was offered (e.g. separate key for core game).

I’d read my posts again. Those were examples of similar to this one and they don’t have to be exact to apply here. The point was to show that the price of the item remained the same and that the company was not transferring their “losses” to the customer. The same goes for my other examples. This all came about because of people who don’t understand how these things work and why a company would do something like this and appear to take a “loss” without passing it on to the customer.

It doesn’t matter whether a certain segment of the player base was targeted. This isn’t the first time that companies have targeted new accounts and certainly won’t be the last. There’s no reason that every type of promotion they do must also benefit existing accounts in some way. I’m sorry that you feel that this is unfair but not everything has to revolve around existing players.

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

$50 is WAY overpriced for the features I’ve seen listed so far. And the special editions ($99??) are just insulting.

I feel like I’ve stuck with you through a lot of fumbling, sloppiness and amateur-hour design decisions, and my reward it to get nickle-and-dimed on the first major new content release?

The pre-order bonus is a title and the opportunity to help you beta test? Wow, generous!

You know, there’s a LOT of competition out there these days. Just sayin’.

This. The problem is all these new players who’ll blindly pay anything without any concrete expac details at all, and then are the first ones to cry about lack of content a month after expac release.

The only thing pre-ordering does is guarantee you get less for your money, because by purchasing, you’re telling Anet that you’re happy to get almost nothing (which is what’s been actually announced and shown) for $50+.

You’re also telling Anet you’re happy to pay them to QA unfinished/buggy content for them.

downed state is bad for PVP

Ayrilana.1396

$50 is WAY overpriced for the features I’ve seen listed so far. And the special editions ($99??) are just insulting.

I feel like I’ve stuck with you through a lot of fumbling, sloppiness and amateur-hour design decisions, and my reward it to get nickle-and-dimed on the first major new content release?

The pre-order bonus is a title and the opportunity to help you beta test? Wow, generous!

You know, there’s a LOT of competition out there these days. Just sayin’.

This. The problem is all these new players who’ll blindly pay anything without any concrete expac details at all, and then are the first ones to cry about lack of content a month after expac release.

The only thing pre-ordering does is guarantee you get less for your money, because by purchasing, you’re telling Anet that you’re happy to get almost nothing (which is what’s been actually announced and shown) for $50+.

You’re also telling Anet you’re happy to pay them to QA unfinished/buggy content for them.

New players who purchase the game will not be crying about a lack of content as they will have the entire core game on top of whatever is included in the expansion. This also includes any content given through the living story once it resumes again. To them the core game and expansion will be one continuous game.

People are free to purchase whatever they may like. If you don’t feel that the expansion has any value then you do not have to purchase it. Do not tell people how they should spend their money whether it be directly or indirectly. Not everything has been released about the expansion and not everything needs to be released about the expansion. If the current available information is not enough for you then wait, since as you said, pre-purchasing is just guaranteeing less for your money. Don’t do it then but don’t tell people what they should or should not do.

How do you know it will be unfinished and buggy? All games have bugs and HoT will definitely not be an exception.

Posted by: Kharlus.3612

Kharlus.3612

It is a common sense that forums are made of opinions. The most various opinions.

Some will feel the same way.. some will disagree. No problem at all.

Fact is: No one here plays for free. Anet has its business model, they decided to go that way. So we bought the game just like required. Not a dime less, for a service provided by the company.

And most of all: it’s not how MUCH they are charging.. It’s the WAY they are charging us. Could be 49,99 or 4,99 or 499,99.. it’s wrong to buy the same game twice (and 3x, 4x, etc for each expansion). The free core game that so many people defend like real guardians, it’s being charged from veterans – Now guess the amount of that playerbase in front of new buyers… I’ll give a hint: it’s a huge number.

Curious fact: New buyer today will be tomorrow’s veteran. Start saving to buy your copy again.

By the way… Try to buy it for 49,98 – just a cent less… and see if Anet will tell: Ah ok… you played for 3 years so there’s no problem at all… here it is your copy. Have fun. Yet, all I read here is the contrary: That I played for 3 years and should not complain… that maybe I might be elsewhere, etc, etc…

GW2 is played worldwide and a particular issue to me (and yes, my problem then) is that my local currency is 3x 49,99. Since I bought two accounts back 2012 to me and my wife, the math is simple. Buuuut, I should not complain or whine.

Well, moving on… guys, sorry for any english mistake and I wish the best for you all. Have a nice weekend, take care of your health, brush your teeth and drink lots of water!!

(edited by Kharlus.3612)

Posted by: Kitsune.1902

Kitsune.1902

I’d read my posts again. Those were examples of similar to this one and they don’t have to be exact to apply here. The point was to show that the price of the item remained the same and that the company was not transferring their “losses” to the customer. The same goes for my other examples. This all came about because of people who don’t understand how these things work and why a company would do something like this and appear to take a “loss” without passing it on to the customer.

It doesn’t matter whether a certain segment of the player base was targeted. This isn’t the first time that companies have targeted new accounts and certainly won’t be the last. There’s no reason that every type of promotion they do must also benefit existing accounts in some way. I’m sorry that you feel that this is unfair but not everything has to revolve around existing players.

I’m not about to read every post on this by now gigantic thread, much less to memorize every one of them. I feel the argument stands sufficiently against the post I quoted, and it’s honestly not very important anyway. If $50 were just plain value of the expansion, then it seems a significant portion of potential customers is feeling it’s overpriced.. and mostly just the people who perceive it as the price of the combined expansion + original game are fairly satisfied with it.

Incidentally, if I counted the value of base game to $20 where it seems to be at present – outside significant sale prior to it being phased out of selection – then the remaining $30 would coincidentally be pretty close to what I personally expected from HoT price tag. What comes to the pre-purchase bonus character slot, it’s temporary offer that was basically absolute minimum necessary to avoid a disaster. It doesn’t enter the equitation if you want to purchase the expansion in normal way after it’s official release – at which point you can expect more in-depth reviews. If it was really meant as unconditional ‘veteran bonus’, it wouldn’t be limited to pre-launch time – just as the core + HoT deal isn’t.

You can also look at it from another perspective – there’s no way the expansion could have been priced at $50 unless it was bundled into base game. The cost for new players would have become prohibitive at that point. Basically I believe that game + expansion had to be $50 or less, and so bundling them up and leaving the expansion-only option away was the only way to draw the full $50 out of players with existing account. For the new players the price would have not gone past that even if they were sold separately – it would simply have meant lowering the price of the expansion.

And this, in my opinion leads to the same conclusion, the price for existing accounts is padded due to the bundled deal – or rather, it’s the only model that makes it possible in the first place.

Posted by: Blebekblebek.4780

Blebekblebek.4780

So… here we are getting what Destiny would do but in the end retract it.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-22-destiny-the-taken-king-director-defends-40-expansion-price-tag

I don’t see how this need to be defended.
Yes they choose this way

but it doesn’t mean it’s okay.

just give us separate option to purchase DLC, simple
but ofcourse, I don’t see that or at least they are not interested to do that.

I’m actually surprised they would go this far to do this after far too long.

The expansion included core game and there’s no other way to get it, period.
you don’t need to sugarcoat this, you can spin the word all you like.

it is a fact that we have to buy extra base copy to get the expansion pack.
and to whoever already bought the game before doesn’t need it.

again, why not just add the option, -$10/20 less.
everyone happy.

Posted by: Zunnar.8503

Zunnar.8503

I just want to post for the record, since I gave negative feedback in the past, that I think the compromise is fair, and I in fact bought the most expensive version to support the game to show my appreciation.

I do still think there should be extra small incentive even for new players to pre-purchase the base game, but overall I think it’s much fairer now.

Posted by: Cheeky Wizard.7496

Cheeky Wizard.7496

Have 2 prices for the expansion!!!!

1 ) If you already own a copy of Guild Wars 2 and want the expansion – An Expansion pack for a reasonable price like with Eye Of The North on Guild wars 1.

2 ) For those joining the game at Heart Of The Thorns – The full price as that will include the core game.

Why should we pay for something we have already bought. Unless this becomes fairer, players will vote with their money and not bother either with this expansion or any other in the future !

Simples.

(edited by Cheeky Wizard.7496)

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

The devs have said that the $50 price tag IS the price of HoT. Just HoT alone.

They’re just throwing in the base game in as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to come in, rather than requiring them to buy the base game and the expansion separate.

50 dollars for the base game AND HoT seems barely acceptable to me.
But, i only need HoT. I am defenately not gonna pay the same, or more, for an expansion than what i paid for the original game.

So, STUPID move from NCsoft/Anet.
Or, r they saying to current players screw you, we want only new players.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-22-destiny-the-taken-king-director-defends-40-expansion-price-tag

Yes they choose this way

Wow, that interview. Is that what Anet’s higher ups are thinking right now as well? Because that is a pretty Skritt move, to treat your customers like that. It’s the equivalent of saying:

“They’ll pay for anything we throw at them”

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Arioch.7432

Arioch.7432

Well, you should do what a lot of people are doing. Refuse to buy HoM until they bring further concessions.

After the first wave of protests they gave a free character slot to those who pre purchase. And that was just days afterwards. We should hold back until they give us a better deal.

That is the power of consumer

Posted by: Liisjak.4509

Liisjak.4509

Why…it ain’t out yet.

Unless you want to feel like a real special kid, and pre-order…the option is still there.

Posted by: supermanboy.4592

supermanboy.4592

I wanted to offer my feedback on the pricing structure of HoT and other potential expansions. Anet said in their announcement that they appreciate hearing our thoughts, and I always view that as a personal invitation for me.

What do I think about players in the future getting any expansion and the core game for one price, though I would have paid at least twice as much to get to the same point (core+expansion)? I think it is a great idea and I’m glad to see Anet is continuing their tradition of creative and practical solutions.

I don’t care that “I would have overall paid more for the same thing” because as it stands, I would have played the game for much longer and have got more out of it than someone just starting. I also like the fact that if one of my friends who wanted to play after an expansion, they wouldn’t have to invest an enormous amount of money to have access to the content I’d be playing at that point. That truly would be a barrier.

Thank you for doing this Anet, it keeps the doors wide open for new people who want to come and play this amazing game. It is also an excellent and understood structure should you make any expansions for expansions. I look forward to HoT, and all other chapters and expansions you bring out in the future.

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

Forget about the base game inclusion, it’s 50 bucks regardless
What you should really be considering is if the expansion itself is worth your money.
Given the information so far I am of the mind that it is not worth 50 dollars.

I am happy to wait and see what is actually in this expansion before spending the money as it is my personal impression that this is more of a giant feature patch with some maps thrown in than a large content inclusive expansion that I would feel happy with.

However, as a friend put it, I’ve been playing this game since beta pretty hardcore, it’s not whether I will buy the expansion but when. It’ll happen. I’m comfortable with missing out on a character slot from pre-order to see where this goes, are you?

Posted by: jbrother.1340

jbrother.1340

I’m aware that people who bought GW2 during the first quarter will be refunded… and what about the veteran’s – the playerbase who is supporting the game since the very beginning?

Only a character slot isn’t enough…

The refund is because people who bought it recently might have gotten information from the Anet site that misled them. Refunding them isn’t a perk. It’s Anet doing the right thing in regards to something that some had claimed was false advertising. It wasn’t. It was just ambiguous. But it was misunderstood.

Some of the people being refunded bought the game because they thought they had to. This has nothing to do with new players old players. This has to do with Anet doing the right thing.

What they are doing is trying to save face after they got called out on a scheme they tried to pass off. While it wasn’t scam it was border line and they knew what they were doing. To say they did not is to say they are not a corporation staffed by adults with big data to draw metrics from so that accountants and people dealing with monetary concerns for Anet could generate cost models. They did this knowingly then adjusted it when they got called out. They adjusted it ONLY enough to see if they could get a higher satisfaction rating on enough of the demographic to move forward with what they think will be a major success.

As the only real MMO on the market that has a decent player base other than the grand ole one I won’t mention here they will always walk the finest line they can. This is par for the course for a earth based corporation.

I will buy it… in the future when the price has gone to dirt cheap when they don’t realize the profit they are hoping for. Personally I am watching with much entertainment this story unfold between the customers and just another average business trying to milk it for all its worth

Advice to most of you: Learn more patience and wait.

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Ok you can buy JUST access to HoT, its $49.99. In the same way you paid for access to the content that was added in post release, most of which new players won’t get.

So if people want to ignore the fact that YOU ARE NOT PAYING FOR THE CORE, then you should look at it as when you first bought it you paid for the updates and added content and got the core free, in the same way new players now get the core for free.

Both new and old are paying for HoT and future HoT content. If you don’t feel it is worth it then don’t buy it or wait for sale. But the whole new vs old arguement is pointless and shows how far down MMOs have gone. Vets should ALWAYS love the idea of ways to get new players into the game, it benefits everyone, but now people just complain.

Ayrilana.1396

I’m not about to read every post on this by now gigantic thread, much less to memorize every one of them. I feel the argument stands sufficiently against the post I quoted, and it’s honestly not very important anyway. If $50 were just plain value of the expansion, then it seems a significant portion of potential customers is feeling it’s overpriced.. and mostly just the people who perceive it as the price of the combined expansion + original game are fairly satisfied with it.

Incidentally, if I counted the value of base game to $20 where it seems to be at present – outside significant sale prior to it being phased out of selection – then the remaining $30 would coincidentally be pretty close to what I personally expected from HoT price tag. What comes to the pre-purchase bonus character slot, it’s temporary offer that was basically absolute minimum necessary to avoid a disaster. It doesn’t enter the equitation if you want to purchase the expansion in normal way after it’s official release – at which point you can expect more in-depth reviews. If it was really meant as unconditional ‘veteran bonus’, it wouldn’t be limited to pre-launch time – just as the core + HoT deal isn’t.

You can also look at it from another perspective – there’s no way the expansion could have been priced at $50 unless it was bundled into base game. The cost for new players would have become prohibitive at that point. Basically I believe that game + expansion had to be $50 or less, and so bundling them up and leaving the expansion-only option away was the only way to draw the full $50 out of players with existing account. For the new players the price would have not gone past that even if they were sold separately – it would simply have meant lowering the price of the expansion.

And this, in my opinion leads to the same conclusion, the price for existing accounts is padded due to the bundled deal – or rather, it’s the only model that makes it possible in the first place.

Value and cost are not the same thing.

Have 2 prices for the expansion!!!!

1 ) If you already own a copy of Guild Wars 2 and want the expansion – An Expansion pack for a reasonable price like with Eye Of The North on Guild wars 1.

2 ) For those joining the game at Heart Of The Thorns – The full price as that will include the core game.

Why should we pay for something we have already bought. Unless this becomes fairer, players will vote with their money and not bother either with this expansion or any other in the future !

Simples.

You’re not paying for something that you already bought. The price of the expansion is $50 regardless as they could remove the free bonus for new players and it would still be $50.

Yes they choose this way

I’m actually surprised they would go this far to do this after far too long.

it is a fact that we have to buy extra base copy to get the expansion pack.
and to whoever already bought the game before doesn’t need it.

again, why not just add the option, -$10/20 less.
everyone happy.

You’re not buying an extra copy of the game. It’s a free bonus when the key is applied to a new account. Many companies provide bonuses specifically to new accounts or customers. It’s nothing new. You also should read the article more closely as the situation that occurred for Destiny is different than what’s occurred for GW2.

Blebekblebek.4780

You’re not buying an extra copy of the game. It’s a free bonus when the key is applied to a new account. Many companies provide bonuses specifically to new accounts or customers. It’s nothing new. You also should read the article more closely as the situation that occurred for Destiny is different than what’s occurred for GW2.

I’ve already mention that
what so new about this? well this is new because no one in their right mind would do something like this and get free pass, not even bungie

it doesn’t matter which version is free according to each individual
is the base game free or the expansion the point is the pack cost the same for new and old player who already bought the game the same case about similar like destiny was, and the good part about destiny they admit, yes they admit it was A%%hat decision

Their response is exactly like you
and you know what, here comes his response later

However, most of you don’t know me.

Reading my interview with Eurogamer and imagining it came from some random developer of a game I love – that random developer looks like an A%%hat.

But that A%%hat was me – and those words rightfully anger you.

I’m sorry

and nope, I’m not making this up
here: https://www.bungie.net/7_Bungie-Weekly-Update--06242015/en/News/News?aid=13090

Posted by: Calanthe.9415

Calanthe.9415

Well stated.

I’m aware that people who bought GW2 during the first quarter will be refunded… and what about the veteran’s – the playerbase who is supporting the game since the very beginning?

The people who supported the game from the beginning got to take part in everything. They got to do the Mad King’s Clocktower with every other player’s body getting in the way, they got precursors from the Ancient Karka, they got to delve into the Molten Facility to try to get jet packs, they met the new set of heroes that are going to be carrying us into Heart of Thorns as they were introduced, they got to experience Tequatl back when it didn’t matter if he summoned bone walls because everyone stood inside them anyway, they got to experience the tension and camaraderie of fighting Scarlet’s Marionette in Lornar’s Pass, they participated in the epic Battle of Lion’s Arch, and they got every episode of the Living Story Season Two for free on top of all that just for logging in.

You’ve supported the game from the very beginning, and you’ve been amply rewarded for it with what I assume has been close to three years of enjoyable gameplay, seeing as you’re still here. That is what you get as a veteran player. That is your advantage. If all of that is meaningless to you, if that’s something that you’re going to brush off because you’re upset that a new player might get a deal now, then perhaps this expansion isn’t for you. Your interests might be better served elsewhere.

Ayrilana.1396

I’ve already mention that
what so new about this? well this is new because no one in their right mind would do something like this and get free pass, not even bungie

it doesn’t matter which version is free according to each individual
is the base game free or the expansion the point is the pack cost the same for new and old player who already bought the game the same case about similar like destiny was, and the good part about destiny they admit, yes they admit it was A%%hat decision

Their response is exactly like you
and you know what, here comes his response later

However, most of you don’t know me.

Reading my interview with Eurogamer and imagining it came from some random developer of a game I love – that random developer looks like an A%%hat.

But that A%%hat was me – and those words rightfully anger you.

I’m sorry

and nope, I’m not making this up
here: https://www.bungie.net/7_Bungie-Weekly-Update--06242015/en/News/News?aid=13090

Once again, I strongly suggest you re-read those articles. It’s not the same situation as I have already stated. It’s even more surprising as you linked an article that pretty much showed what the issue was. There was exclusive content included in the collector’s edition which actually required players to purchase the base game again in order to get. The base game was actually factored into the price of that collector’s edition. This is not the same with GW2 as the core game is not even part of the HoT price.

Posted by: SlateSloan.3654

SlateSloan.3654

I won’t buy HoT at all.

Community asked for a addon but all I see so far is that the usual feature release content as well as living story content gets packed as “addon” and charged off.

anet products are not a guarantee for fun anymore so the included content must be way higher to make me buy it for the prices given at the moment.

Furthermore I find it sad that the company which once worked for its players has choosen to make use of cheap NLP, social engineering and speech tricks instead.

no support for that anymore. entrepreneurs and politicians shall be taken more into their duty to take action again. in the world we are living the only action we as customers can take to change things is not to pay for being talked away.

anet can convince me otherwise ofc. but not with talking – by taking action.

let me entertain you

Blebekblebek.4780

Once again, I strongly suggest you re-read those articles. It’s not the same situation as I have already stated. It’s even more surprising as you linked an article that pretty much showed what the issue was. There was exclusive content included in the collector’s edition which actually required players to purchase the base game again in order to get. The base game was actually factored into the price of that collector’s edition. This is not the same with GW2 as the core game is not even part of the HoT price.

of course not the same
not in my book, it’s worse

This is expansion, not just some content that most people will/can ignore and still having same experience to whoever bought that content.
How is that good for us?

Posted by: fallacy.8024

fallacy.8024

Anet could’ve said the price of the expansion was $60 and the core game was free….it doesn’t matter how the explain it, $50 expansions are NOT normal for the MMO market.

The only customer Anet is “doing a favor” is new customers.

The fact that the base game is included means your purchase includes a useless account. Paying money for something which includes useless stuff is never okay.

Ayrilana.1396

of course not the same
not in my book, it’s worse

This is expansion, not just some content that most people will/can ignore and still having same experience to whoever bought that content.
How is that good for us?

It being worse is your opinion however that still doesn’t change the fact that the situation with Destiny’s expansion is entirely different than for GW2’s expansion.

The fact that the base game is included means your purchase includes a useless account. Paying money for something which includes useless stuff is never okay.

Except you’re not paying for the base game. Nobody is unless they purchase it from a retailer who is selling the core game only.

Posted by: Kharlus.3612

Kharlus.3612

This free core game is a reply from Anet, after – I repeat, after the community tell how bad this business model is.

The refund for buyers after january is again a reply after this controversy.

There’s no free core game… this cost is being charged from the huge veteran playerbase, since we are paying the game twice. And as for we know, there’s going to be a third time and so on…

Most of all, it´s not how MUCH… it’s HOW Anet is charging us. This is simply taking us for granted! It’s wrong to charge a cent twice for the same package. Obviously, no one is obligated to buy it. Who feels fine with it, ok, no problem at all. I won’t criticise the ones buying it. I’m complaining about this behaviour from Anet.

Back here in my country the community is in Rage with Anet/Ncsoft, planning not only to ignore HoT, but leave the game at all.

Unfortunately I like this game and meanwhile my downloads are running so I can try and choose which mmo should I pick instead.

ps: Even if a free slot would be a fair solution – which it’s not, I don’t want nor need it. So it’s my bad if I don’t have many alts? Seems my case is just a bad luck then.

(edited by Kharlus.3612)

Posted by: aurensei.5283

aurensei.5283

Just a quick question that’s been bothering me: I haven’t followed the news so didn’t get it, will Revenant class be avaliable to everyone after the launch of HoT or only for ones that’s purchased the expac?

~ Crystal Desert ~