HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

If you don’t think it’s worth its price tag, wait until a sale.

The holidays are coming up soon after HoT’s release; it’s extremely likely it will go on sale. And looking at the content of HoT, I think the price will go down quite bit after that.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The core game has been in sale for 10$.
As a veteran you get a character slot worth 10$ while new players get the core game, that cost 10$ before (as ANet states it’s even 100% free now)

Problem solved.

I don’t have any free slot, I have not pre-purchased this joke at this ridiculous price. I’m surprised that at least in that post they said “thank you dear loyal old players”, lol… well thank you too sir

OP, just because someone is getting the game for free, doesn’t mean you’re buying it again.

Lol? I pay the same amount as a new player but the difference is that the new player pays for a GW2+HoS, I pay the same and I just purchase HoS! I already payed the game, I don’t think I’m wrong if I think that is more correct to just pay for HoS.

And you know, if you don’t like that they’re giving away games for free, you’ll eventually not have any MMOs to play at all, because it’s already started. WoW is doing it. EQ is doing it. It removes a barrier for entry to new players. That’s business and it’s logical.

If you don’t like it, don’t buy the game, but it will never change.

If we have situations like this is thanks the behavior of ppl like you: “Hey please steal our money! We are brainless monkeys! We don’t care… How much you want? 50$ for a new class and 2 maps? Just take our money and let us play.”.
And this is it, here we are…

Exactly Scorpio, I have no need to explain any further as to why this marketing scheme NCSoft is pulling is incredibly unfair, you’ve explained it exactly as is and clearly. It was rage inducing reading people actually DEFEND this insanity. These people are indeed the exact reason why we have these problems today which unfortunately affects more than just games, but worldly problems in real life as well; it has nothing to do with “if we like the game or not”, this goes far beyond “me likey me play-play”; childish. This kind of blind “turn the cheek” mentality leads to people being treated unfairly. NCsoft/ArenaNet is treating their veteran players badly here, and it is the exact reason why neither my friend or I will be purchasing HoT until they’ve changed their business model for this Expansion. A shame because we just came back after over a year and were having a lot of fun leveling new characters, but the transparent cash grab will not allow us to play simply because “it’s fun”.

Also, yeah, I’m bumping this 2 months later, this needs to be bumped until a fair change is made or goodbye Guild Wars 2.

NCSoft? Get with the times! Lol. ArenaNet is publishing Heart of Thorns; I’m thinking they have more to do with this model than anyone.

Regardless, bumping this thread instead of posting in the official feedback thread may not be wise, and certainly isn’t fair.

Good luck.

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

When you go to a sandwich shop and buy a sandwich, do you go back the next day, claim you’re a veteran, and demand a free sandwich?

We’ve had pretty decent free content for two years running. I say two years because this last year has been a bit of a drought after the final Living Story episode. If you’re played from release, for three years, and you don’t like that ArenaNet are wanting a bit of income for a much larger amount of content, then I think the line back has to be “sorry bud, sucks to be you.”

(edited by Sarie.1630)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The core game has been in sale for 10$.
As a veteran you get a character slot worth 10$ while new players get the core game, that cost 10$ before (as ANet states it’s even 100% free now)

Problem solved.

I don’t have any free slot, I have not pre-purchased this joke at this ridiculous price. I’m surprised that at least in that post they said “thank you dear loyal old players”, lol… well thank you too sir

OP, just because someone is getting the game for free, doesn’t mean you’re buying it again.

Lol? I pay the same amount as a new player but the difference is that the new player pays for a GW2+HoS, I pay the same and I just purchase HoS! I already payed the game, I don’t think I’m wrong if I think that is more correct to just pay for HoS.

And you know, if you don’t like that they’re giving away games for free, you’ll eventually not have any MMOs to play at all, because it’s already started. WoW is doing it. EQ is doing it. It removes a barrier for entry to new players. That’s business and it’s logical.

If you don’t like it, don’t buy the game, but it will never change.

If we have situations like this is thanks the behavior of ppl like you: “Hey please steal our money! We are brainless monkeys! We don’t care… How much you want? 50$ for a new class and 2 maps? Just take our money and let us play.”.
And this is it, here we are…

Yes, I think you’re wrong,. There are other older games that go down in price after three years, some of which are even given away free with the sequel and no one ever says anything about it, even though that games provide only a fraction of the hours that Guild Wars 2 does.

The problem is you’re comparing games which often go down significantly in price even after a year with other things. And you can’t because games have a rule.

Did you know if you buy World of Warcraft and the current expansion you get every single other expansion, 4 or 5 of them, free. That’s like $200 worth of games free. You don’t hear WoW players complaining about that and they pay a sub.

In EQ you get all the expansions just by buying the current one and that’s like 14 expansions that people paid for. But those people don’t complain.

This is the industry. If you don’t like it stop playing games now because it’s not changing.

Posted by: keopss.1265

keopss.1265

Hello everyone.

I have a question,

So i pre purchased the hotw expansion like 2 days ago,and it seems like i did not understand how the “core game” works.

All i received was a cd key for hotw,i was expecting to get another GW2 core cd key,that i could use to make an account for my brother.

This may work for the new players who get hotw and the core game while making a new account, but what about us? Isn’t it like the “core game” is lost when you upgrade your 3 years old account to hotw?

(sorry for bad english)

/Frank

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Hello everyone.

I have a question,

So i pre purchased the hotw expansion like 2 days ago,and it seems like i did not understand how the “core game” works.

All i received was a cd key for hotw,i was expecting to get another GW2 core cd key,that i could use to make an account for my brother.

This may work for the new players who get hotw and the core game while making a new account, but what about us? Isn’t it like the “core game” is lost when you upgrade your 3 years old account to hotw?

(sorry for bad english)

/Frank

no, there is only 1 key. Core being included is literally a free bonus for those who don’t already have Core, but isn’t a seperate key. Expansion is not meant to be sold to make 2 paid accounts with 1 purchase. Arenanet is only going to be selling 1 game at a time, and every time a new expansion releases it will include any previous expansion and core as a free bonus for those who have not had any of the previous stuff before.

That $50 for the expansion is literally only for the expansion, it is not something like “$40 for expansion and $10 for core” type break down.

There are retailers that are still selling their remaining stock of Core game, so you can buy from them and get it for around $20 to $25.

Posted by: blade eyes.2034

blade eyes.2034

I only bought the game a month ago thinking I’d get it before the expansion to give me time to familiarise myself with the game before it comes out. Screw me I guess, just paid 45 bucks to play the game for a month and now I have to buy it again.

You can ask for refund, and buy Heart of Thorns. They’ll not delete your character progress it’ll just change over to your Heart of Thorns account, as long you bought the game between January 23, 2015 and June 16, 2015. https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pre-purchase-community-address/

Posted by: blade eyes.2034

blade eyes.2034

Hello everyone.

I have a question,

(sorry for bad english)

/Frank

The game is “Play for Free” now, so your brother can make an account and start playing with you.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

You pay 50$ and will get the initial expansion content and years of living world etc additions with it.

chances are Living World will work the same way Season 2 did. As in, you only get it for free, if you log in. So if anything in your life happens you have to pay again.

As an “old” player you will get -character- times a dye of your choice. Spend it wisely and you can have the price of HoT in no time.

everyone’s 3 year old character will eventually get it. Plus, you can’t sell it. It’s immediately account bound :/

When you go to a sandwich shop and buy a sandwich, do you go back the next day, claim you’re a veteran, and demand a free sandwich?

depends on the seller brand, but every store has promotions. For example “collect 20 stickers by buying 20 sandwiches and get one free”, or “here’s a customer appreciation card, every time you shop here 10% of your payed sum goes to your card and you can use it either for discounts or for free sandwiches later”.

We’ve had pretty decent free content for two years running. I say two years because this last year has been a bit of a drought after the final Living Story episode. If you’re played from release, for three years, and you don’t like that ArenaNet are wanting a bit of income for a much larger amount of content, then I think the line back has to be “sorry bud, sucks to be you.”

Depends on your play time and when you were active, having in mind that LS1 was very temporary and LS2 is buy to play if you didn’t log in.

eisberg.2379

You pay 50$ and will get the initial expansion content and years of living world etc additions with it.

chances are Living World will work the same way Season 2 did. As in, you only get it for free, if you log in. So if anything in your life happens you have to pay again.

As an “old” player you will get -character- times a dye of your choice. Spend it wisely and you can have the price of HoT in no time.

everyone’s 3 year old character will eventually get it. Plus, you can’t sell it. It’s immediately account bound :/

depends on the seller brand, but every store has promotions. For example “collect 20 stickers by buying 20 sandwiches and get one free”, or “here’s a customer appreciation card, every time you shop here 10% of your payed sum goes to your card and you can use it either for discounts or for free sandwiches later”.

Depends on your play time and when you were active, having in mind that LS1 was very temporary and LS2 is buy to play if you didn’t log in.

People who would not have access to their computer during the living story season are going to be very very rare, practically negligible. So yes, with the expansion you can expect the free LS updates.

Posted by: Azumi.9572

Azumi.9572

People who would not have access to their computer during the living story season are going to be very very rare, practically negligible. So yes, with the expansion you can expect the free LS updates.

You sure about that?

I took a break from GW2 before Living Season 1 – nothing was happening, no new content, etc. so I was like “Screw this man, I’m getting a tan”.

4 Months later I’m the color of snow and I missed the entire Living World 1.

With no way of playing it again because, ahem, it was ‘time gated’ content.

Not there on time? You don’t get it HAHA.

People include this in the content I got when I bought GW2 at launch.

That is so mean.

My opinion of GW2 and aNet took a darker turn then.

So I donated $100 to buy HoT – an expansion pack I’m about as excited about as walking in the rain. Naked. With loafers on.

A fool and his money..

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

you are actually very wrong. Many people have priorities, vacations, business trip, or they just dont feel like ogging in etc.

Point is, if LS is part of what your paying for with the box, it should be obtained, whether you log in, or your dont.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

Black Desert looks like it is a free to play Korean game, which means it will most likely be just another Korean grinding game. So have fun with that.

dont be naive and jump to conclusions without research. it wont be free to play but still looks very promising. they making same promisses as anet did to us. paying once, no endless grinding and a thoughtfull storyline. if it will give 3 years of fun for 50 dollars itll be a good deal again. 50 dollars for a couple hours grinding on a new map with masteries, kiting, one raid and a new class etc (wich u cant even enjoy on the old maps) seems a poor deal. easy to judge a new game tho, id rather test it out since its same price as some small expansions are.

I did do research, here are some examples:

http://www.freemmostation.com/games/black-desert-online/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Desert

Every indication I am seeing is that it is a free to play game. Also it is Korean. Haven’t seen a Korean MMO not be a grinding bore fest as of yet, so this will be a shocker if it is any different.

BD has grind, GW2 has that too, the difference is that DB has plenty to fill the gap, in GW2 you’re searching for something to do in order to not get bored.

Posted by: One Prarie Outpost.4860

One Prarie Outpost.4860

Old Pay-for-the-gamers complaining about F2P players after all the limitations placed on F2P?

How is this still a thing?

Mirta.5029

BD has grind, GW2 has that too, the difference is that DB has plenty to fill the gap, in GW2 you’re searching for something to do in order to not get bored.

BD has no end game. None. Being a sandbox MMO what you do at max level is:

- PvP
- grind same monsters for 10 hours to a day to keep up with levels (after the “soft cap” a level takes around 1.5 months of grinding, however if you don’t do it, you’re in a very serious disadvantage against your enemies)
- grind same monsters for 10 hours a day for better loot and upgrade components. Upgrades can fail. When they fail you lose durability on your armour and your upgrade materials. If you’re not running full upgraded armour, you can’t do almost anything to your opponents. If your armour reaches 0 durability, you grind items of the same item level in order to sacrifice them in order to restore your armour’s durability. Oh and there’s no trading post, nor any real trading between people.

Like literally all you do in BD is grind. That’s all there is. If you don’t believe me, Asian betas have been running for quite some time, so feel free to sign up for those and check it out, or watch youtube videos of those that have played it.

Posted by: Melanu.7425

Melanu.7425

This is just poor practice, new players should play full price for HoT’s as it unlocks GW2 from a F2P account but making the veteren players who already own it pay the same price again is just not on.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

you are actually very wrong. Many people have priorities, vacations, business trip, or they just dont feel like ogging in etc.

Point is, if LS is part of what your paying for with the box, it should be obtained, whether you log in, or your dont.

I get that life gets in the way sometimes, but seriously, you can’t bring up “just don’t feel like logging in” as a valid reason for why somebody is missing content and that they should just get it regardless. I didn’t “feel like” logging in this past weekend to do the Mordrem invasion stuff; should I demand that Anet keep the event going so that I can play it? Regardless, Eisberg isn’t actually wrong. It is indeed very rare for someone to be unable to log on the game for a couple of minutes over a two to three-week period and then log out.

Do I think that the LWS3 content should be included in the cost of the expansion, sure, as long as you bought the expansion. I think it would be much better if they just kept all the episodes free from when you bought the expansion on until the season officially ended and then make them purchasable (suppose you bought HoT after episode 3, then you’d have to buy episodes 1, 2, and 3).

Mirta.5029

I get that life gets in the way sometimes, but seriously, you can’t bring up “just don’t feel like logging in” as a valid reason for why somebody is missing content and that they should just get it regardless. I didn’t “feel like” logging in this past weekend to do the Mordrem invasion stuff; should I demand that Anet keep the event going so that I can play it? Regardless, Eisberg isn’t actually wrong. It is indeed very rare for someone to be unable to log on the game for a couple of minutes over a two to three-week period and then log out.

Do I think that the LWS3 content should be included in the cost of the expansion, sure, as long as you bought the expansion. I think it would be much better if they just kept all the episodes free from when you bought the expansion on until the season officially ended and then make them purchasable (suppose you bought HoT after episode 3, then you’d have to buy episodes 1, 2, and 3).

point is, you can’t include ANY temporary or temporarily free event into “this is what veterans got” and at the same time you can’t include such content into “this is what comes with the expansion”, because weather or not you got it would depend on were you there.
As opposed to majority of other MMOs updates (that are not seasonal events). Take for example FFXIV. Every patch for ARR they added 3 new dungeons, every second patch they added new raid turns and every second patch they added casual content such as dailies and their casino called “The Golden Saucer”. A person that would buy the base game now, would get all of it. A person that was subbed at the time of the patch got it. And a person that wasn’t there at that point will still find the content there when they return. That’s the sort of game where you could say “expansion price includes further patches”, because most further patch content will be expansion content.
However even then people don’t judge the expansion’s worth on what’s to come. They judge it on what is there. The same way that they don’t judge the game on all the temporary events that it had, they judge it on permanent content that you get after that one purchase. Therefore going “buy HoT for future living world” is as wrong as it can get.

(edited by Mirta.5029)

Posted by: Deansthbest.7253

Deansthbest.7253

I’ll probably just wait until they release the HoT expansion alone, or put the expansion for sale in the gem store.

I just have this strange feeling that they’ll put it in the gem store, eventually.

eisberg.2379

I’ll probably just wait until they release the HoT expansion alone, or put the expansion for sale in the gem store.

I just have this strange feeling that they’ll put it in the gem store, eventually.

Release the expansion alone? That is not going to happen. The price of the expansion now has nothing to do with the core game being included for new accounts, it is literally a free bonus for new accounts.

So either you are waiting for the expansion to decrease in price, or you are waiting for the next expansion and get HoT for free with the next expansion. From here on out, every expansion is going to include all previous expansions and core for free.

Very doubtful they’ll put the expansion into the GEM store.

Posted by: Deansthbest.7253

Deansthbest.7253

Release the expansion alone? That is not going to happen. The price of the expansion now has nothing to do with the core game being included for new accounts, it is literally a free bonus for new accounts.

So either you are waiting for the expansion to decrease in price, or you are waiting for the next expansion and get HoT for free with the next expansion. From here on out, every expansion is going to include all previous expansions and core for free.

And would I be able to give the serial key for base game to a friend? Since already own the base game.

Why doesn’t this expansion have it’s own FAQ? It’s all a bit too confusing when they don’t have an FAQ regarding it.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

And would I be able to give the serial key for base game to a friend? Since already own the base game.

Why doesn’t this expansion have it’s own FAQ? It’s all a bit too confusing when they don’t have an FAQ regarding it.

They do have a FAQ.

Posted by: Jimson.5168

Jimson.5168

Seriously, fix the search function on this forum… please! I keep seeing the same questions asked over and over for the last 133 pages.

And now for the obligatory question… Why is this thread still alive?

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Because the price still seems high for what we seem to be getting.

eisberg.2379

No, you cannot. There is only one key.

Jimson.5168

Because the price still seems high for what we seem to be getting.

I don’t know what all I will be getting. Bought it anyway. Everyone else can buy or not as they choose. You know the price… make your own decision. No one is holding a sword to your throat to buy it sight unseen. I doubt ANet will change their position at this late date no matter how many pages this thread generates. (Now where is that graphic of beating a dead horse I saw somewhere else in this forum…)

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

Seems even a couple of the official retailers have realised that the price is too high and lowered it on their websites.

£27.99 from DL Gamer, http://www.dlgamer.co.uk/download-guild_wars_2_heart_of_thorns-pc_games-p-29394.html
So if they are reducing already, you can bet that prices will fall further after launch!

I’ll still wait until after release, cos 1 free character slot isnt exactly a tempting offer for me.

Bets are on on how long it will be before Anet forces all retailers to sell at full price.

Jimson.5168

Dealers can sell at cost if they want. I don’t see how Anet could “force” them to sell at any fixed list price.

Ayrilana.1396

Seems even a couple of the official retailers have realised that the price is too high and lowered it on their websites.

£27.99 from DL Gamer, http://www.dlgamer.co.uk/download-guild_wars_2_heart_of_thorns-pc_games-p-29394.html
So if they are reducing already, you can bet that prices will fall further after launch!

I’ll still wait until after release, cos 1 free character slot isnt exactly a tempting offer for me.

Bets are on on how long it will be before Anet forces all retailers to sell at full price.

Just because some retailers are offering discounts, doesn’t mean that the expansion is overpriced.

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

Just because some retailers are offering discounts, doesn’t mean that the expansion is overpriced.

No, but having so many people asking what else do we get for our £35, does.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

That doesn’t mean its overpriced either, just they haven’t spoiled everything (which I’m glad they haven’t).

Its fine and logical to hold off for more information but its also illogical to give a statement of “its not worth it” due to that same lack of information.

I’ve bought Guild Wars products for 10 years and never been disappointed with a release.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Actually, there are two Heart of Thorns FAQs:

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/94582027-Heart-of-Thorns-Pre-Purchase-FAQ

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/105801626-Guild-Wars-2-Heart-of-Thorns-FAQ

Good luck.

Ayrilana.1396

No. Retailers just see an opportunity to get more sales so they reduce the price.

Posted by: Mictla.3058

Mictla.3058

How hard is it for people to understand your buying the expac with the core game included for those that do not have it? A rather inexpensive expac as well.

Gibson.4036

I don’t know what all I will be getting. Bought it anyway. Everyone else can buy or not as they choose. You know the price… make your own decision. No one is holding a sword to your throat to buy it sight unseen. I doubt ANet will change their position at this late date no matter how many pages this thread generates. (Now where is that graphic of beating a dead horse I saw somewhere else in this forum…)

I don’t know what all I will be getting. Waiting to see. Everyone else can buy or not as they choose. You know what this thread is about… don’t come here if you don’t want to see it. No one is holding a sword to your throat making you read it. I doubt complaining about the thread length or posting any amount of dead horse gifs will stop people expressing their disappointment over the pricing.

Gibson.4036

A rather inexpensive expac as well.

This thread got a lot of HoT price feedback dicussion merged. I have no problem with the base game being free. It’s the price tag on the “expac”, as you call it, that seems crazy based on what we’ve seen so far. Perhaps there’s a lot they haven’t shown us yet, but it doesn’t look like we’ll know if that’s true until launch day.

Jimson.5168

Then I’d venture to say you are in the waiting to see category. See? We all learned something.

Posted by: Ghanto.9784

Ghanto.9784

How hard is it for people to understand your buying the expac with the core game included for those that do not have it? A rather inexpensive expac as well.

Well, it’s not that people don’t understand what they’re buying, it’s the fact that old/existing players don’t like the idea of having to pay twice as much for all the same content (which is what they’re doing, if you figure in what they paid already for the base game). And it’s not really inexpensive, at least not in the opinion of many people, when the cost is almost as much as the base game was on release. Typically expansions are cheaper than the base game. (And no, I don’t care what WoW has done in the past – it’s WoW, they can get away with it.) I think a better approach might have been for AN to price it at $35 or $40 and let new players have the combo package (base game and expansion) for the “discounted” price of $50. There might have still been some griping but I think it would have been a lot less. That’s how I would have done it, but heh, it’s their game, they can do it anyway they want. Players can choose to support it or not by buying or not buying the expansion – that’s their choice. I’ll probably pick it up myself at some point, but only when I can pick it up somewhere for cheaper.

(edited by Ghanto.9784)

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

No one is holding a sword to your throat to buy it sight unseen.

Likewise, no one is holding a sword to your throat to force you to click on this thread and reply multiple times.

Jimson.5168

When it’s against the rules for me to not post in any thread I choose, I’ll stop.

However it’s not up to anyone but the mods to make that decision.

Don’t worry. This thread is so full of irrational arguments, invalid comparisons to other games, and just plain anger about something with no valid information to back up such a reaction, that I have no interest in reading it any longer. You all may talk amongst yourselves. Enjoy!

Mirta.5029

invalid comparisons to other games, and just plain anger about something with no valid information to back up such a reaction

invalid comparisons? Like what? If we’re able to point at other MMOs and state that there we can get more in an expansion pack for cheaper, then I don’t see that as invalid comparison at all.

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

When it’s against the rules for me to not post in any thread I choose, I’ll stop.

Which was actually my point. You asked:

As shocking as this may seem, everyone else has the same right to post here that you do, and many have chosen to keep posting as well. Hence the reason this thread is still alive despite your disapproval.

You all may talk amongst yourselves. Enjoy!

May we??? Thank you, oh Benevolent One, for your permission. We can all breathe easier now.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

A rather inexpensive expac as well.

This thread got a lot of HoT price feedback dicussion merged. I have no problem with the base game being free. It’s the price tag on the “expac”, as you call it, that seems crazy based on what we’ve seen so far. Perhaps there’s a lot they haven’t shown us yet, but it doesn’t look like we’ll know if that’s true until launch day.

It seems that the pricing includes whatever comes with the release day patch, plus whatever is added thereafter. Other games’ expansions sometimes include later free releases as well, but the games I’ve seen that do this, there’s also a sub. Looking at value for price, $50 for a few zones, profession and elite specs, as well as g. halls, raids, and however many months of free releases thereafter seems like a bargain compared to $30-$50 plus $15 per month for a somewhat bigger XPAC and a couple of new raids after 6 months. Looked at that way, I have no problem justifying the price. In comparison shopping, it all depends on what floats your boat and thus what you compare a product to.

Where I get hung up is whether any of it will actually appeal to my preferences. I loved the core game (Still play it most weeks). I did not like S2, find Silverwastes to be a dreary slog and find little value for me in half of the new profession mechanics. Thus, I have little affection for ANet’s direction as witnessed so far. I’ll probably end up buying, though, just in case they reverse course (again).

Mirta.5029

It seems that the pricing includes whatever comes with the release day patch, plus whatever is added thereafter. Other games’ expansions sometimes include later free releases as well, but the games I’ve seen that do this, there’s also a sub.

A bit of a lengthy post that I made a page before:

point is, you can’t include ANY temporary or temporarily free event into “this is what veterans got” and at the same time you can’t include such content into “this is what comes with the expansion”, because weather or not you got it would depend on were you there.
As opposed to majority of other MMOs updates (that are not seasonal events). Take for example FFXIV. Every patch for ARR they added 3 new dungeons, every second patch they added new raid turns and every second patch they added casual content such as dailies and their casino called “The Golden Saucer”. A person that would buy the base game now, would get all of it. A person that was subbed at the time of the patch got it. And a person that wasn’t there at that point will still find the content there when they return. That’s the sort of game where you could say “expansion price includes further patches”, because most further patch content will be expansion content.
However even then people don’t judge the expansion’s worth on what’s to come. They judge it on what is there. The same way that they don’t judge the game on all the temporary events that it had, they judge it on permanent content that you get after that one purchase. Therefore going “buy HoT for future living world” is as wrong as it can get.

point is, if what’s on offer right now is appealing to you, go for it! However you can’t say that price includes future updates, because so far majority of the updates were either temporary, or pay if you missed it kind of deal, which suggests not free and not included with the fee of the expansion. If they change their strategy for season 3, then the “LS price is included” statement could stand.

Ayrilana.1396

It seems that the pricing includes whatever comes with the release day patch, plus whatever is added thereafter. Other games’ expansions sometimes include later free releases as well, but the games I’ve seen that do this, there’s also a sub.

A bit of a lengthy post that I made a page before:

point is, if what’s on offer right now is appealing to you, go for it! However you can’t say that price includes future updates, because so far majority of the updates were either temporary, or pay if you missed it kind of deal, which suggests not free and not included with the fee of the expansion. If they change their strategy for season 3, then the “LS price is included” statement could stand.

It’s part of the expansion whether you want to believe it or not. Whether it’s temporary, or it’s free for only two weeks, doesn’t matter. The HoT as an inherent value which includes all future living story releases up to the next expansion. As an example of something outside of the game, based on your reasoning, call options have no value which is false.

Mirta.5029

It’s part of the expansion whether you want to believe it or not. Whether it’s temporary, or it’s free for only two weeks, doesn’t matter. The HoT as an inherent value which includes all future living story releases up to the next expansion. As an example of something outside of the game, based on your reasoning, call options have no value which is false.

let’s say that you bought HoT and took a break. All sorts of things happen after all. You come back and now you have to buy the first 2 chapters of LS3. If updates were included into expansion price, you wouldn’t have to.

Same way that seasonal events and temporary special events are never part of an MMOs price, as you could have easily missed them. You pay for what is there upon buying the product that you bought and what will inherently not to go away if you took a break.

Though on the forums of MMOs with permanent updates, still nobody says that future updates are part of the expansion’s price. Because you simply can’t put a price on something which you don’t know the quality, nor the quantity of, even if they are expansion exclusive.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

let’s say that you bought HoT and took a break. All sorts of things happen after all. You come back and now you have to buy the first 2 chapters of LS3. If updates were included into expansion price, you wouldn’t have to.

Same way that seasonal events and temporary special events are never part of an MMOs price, as you could have easily missed them. You pay for what is there upon buying the product that you bought and what will inherently not to go away if you took a break.

Though on the forums of MMOs with permanent updates, still nobody says that future updates are part of the expansion’s price. Because you simply can’t put a price on something which you don’t know the quality, nor the quantity of, even if they are expansion exclusive.

Well be sure to check for LS3, I’m sure it’ll be well trumpetted and even if you’re taking a break I’m sure you can manage the 2mins per 2 weeks it takes to grab the update when its about. I don’t think “I might miss LS3” is a good reason to discount it as future content.

But your reasoning “you can’t put a price on something you don’t know the quality or quantity of” is fine, do remember you cannot then say “its not worth it” by the same reasoning.

Infact the only people who are in a position to know what HoT contains and what its worth are the people who set the price. £35 is what they think and Guild Wars titles have always offered value for money.

Mirta.5029

Well be sure to check for LS3, I’m sure it’ll be well trumpetted and even if you’re taking a break I’m sure you can manage the 2mins per 2 weeks it takes to grab the update when its about. I don’t think “I might miss LS3” is a good reason to discount it as future content.

I missed majority of Season 2 due to health reasons and had to buy it. Therefore I can not count it as free content. I know people who get deployed, people who have family emergencies, people who have illnesses that hospitalizes them months at a time. Sometimes it’s not as easy as not finding the time to log in. Sometimes it’s literally being incapable of logging in.
So yes, if HoTs said “it includes LS3” I would expect to get it no matter I’m capable of logging in at that timeframe or not. However HoTs is not saying that. HoTs isn’t necessarily including that. However people are trying to justify its price saying that it does.

But your reasoning “you can’t put a price on something you don’t know the quality or quantity of” is fine, do remember you cannot then say “its not worth it” by the same reasoning.

You just don’t take it into account if it’s not a direct promise. As most expansion packs continue in their lifespan the amount of content that you get with them expands. Now it’s not 4 dungeons, it’s 6. Now it’s not 5 zones, it’s 7! However you never count such content before it’s released. Price to content you count the content that is there.

Infact the only people who are in a position to know what HoT contains and what its worth are the people who set the price. £35 is what they think and Guild Wars titles have always offered value for money.

Same single player game developers believe that their game is worth 80 pounds. When nobody buys said game for 80 pounds they drop that price. They firmly believed that they were worth that price, however if your customers disagree with you, it doesn’t matter what you price yourself at.
So always look at it logically. Wait for more information. Make a list of how much you’re actually going to be getting for those 35 pounds. Compare to competitors. Don’t immediately assume that just because the developer thinks that they’re worth that much, they are worth that much.

Ayrilana.1396

You had the opportunity to have the content for free but you chose to forego it for whatever reason. The cost of the future living story episodes isn’t necessarily included in the cost of the expansion. Nobody but Anet knows the answer to that. What we do know is that those episodes have a value, and since having the expansion is a prerequisite to obtain them, they’re part of the value that you get by purchasing the expansion.

Again, you’re thinking that because something can me missed due it being temporary, that it has no value. You’re still incorrect. Let’s say that if you give me 200G today that in 3 months I will buy you a precursor of your choice but you have 24 hours after we hit that 3-month mark before the your ability to obtain the precursor expires. You’re saying that the deal that you just bought for 200G has no value beyond that 200G simply because you could not be online during that 24 hours to claim your precursor? You’d be wrong.

You’re also mistaken that you cannot put value on something that has some uncertainty in the future. It’s done all the time in the business world. Just look at car insurance. Based on a myriad of factors and analytics, you’re given a price for an insurance policy. At that point in time, that’s what it is worth. It can change in the future for better or worse but it still has a value at that point in time.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Mirta.5029

You had the opportunity to have the content for free but you chose to forego it for whatever reason. The cost of the future living story episodes isn’t necessarily included in the cost of the expansion.

original statement that I was arguing against.

It seems that the pricing includes whatever comes with the release day patch, plus whatever is added thereafter.

so well done! We’re indeed in an agreement that future updates are not neccesarily included in the expansion cost. Which was my whole point.

What we do know is that those episodes have a value, and since having the expansion is a prerequisite to obtain them, they’re part of the value that you get by purchasing the expansion.

that’s like saying that because the previous expansion is a prerequisite for the next expansion, the next expansion is part of the current expansion’s value. Which it isn’t.

Let’s say that if you give me 200G today that in 3 months I will buy you a precursor of your choice but you have 24 hours after we hit that 3-month mark before the your ability to obtain the precursor expires. You’re saying that the deal that you just bought for 200G has no value beyond that 200G simply because you could not be online during that 24 hours to claim your precursor? You’d be wrong.

Actually what you’re describing right now is a scam. If money is exchanged you expect definite results. Meaning that if you put up such a claim I would expect you to send me the precursor, I’m online or not. Else of course that 200G deal has no value if it’s a 50/50 chance of that 200G being just thrown away. Meaning I wouldn’t make such a deal with you. And I’m not making a deal with Anet either, based on future content.

You’re also mistaken that you cannot put value on something that has some uncertainty in the future. It’s done all the time in the business world. Just look at car insurance. Based on a myriad of factors and analytics, you’re given a price for an insurance policy. At that point in time, that’s what it is worth. It can change in the future for better or worse but it still has a value at that point in time.

Entertainment product is not insurance. You pay money for entertainment. Entertainment that you’ll get right now. It’s like someone trying to sell you a 60$ movie ticket saying “you can not only see the movie today, but also maybe watch the sequel that will maybe come out sometime that you could potentially get for free if you come into the theater at a specific date and then maybe the sequel that will maybe come out even later!”. There’s no guarantee that the sequels will come. There’s no guarantee that you’ll like the movie and there’s no guarantee that even if you liked the movie and the sequels did come that you’ll like them.
There’s no dates, no promises in that sentence. There’s just a lot of maybes. You don’t take in “maybe something awesome will happen!” into a consideration when you’re buying an entertainment product. You go “is this movie with 60$ right now?” and that’s what you base your purchase of.