HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Baamoink.4281

Baamoink.4281

The price of the expansion would have been exactly the same even if it did not include the base game.

Guild: Mantle Assasins [MA] – Guild Leader
Server: Far Shiverpeaks EU

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

As others mentioned this price is the price for the expansion.

That said, there may very well be price reductions at some point post launch.

Posted by: visias.5923

visias.5923

hmm my issue with this is that you aren’t really getting the entire game for free. I mean honestly “safeguard” reasons aside the base game if I was D/Ling it for the first time is all the content but with restrictions that people who bought the core game don’t have. So you are essentially getting an incomplete version of the core game for free. which make the whole idea of the free core game and 50$ expansion seem a little disingenuous.

Posted by: ShadowNinja.1238

ShadowNinja.1238

Why do they only have to pay $50 to play the full game with expansion but we had to pay $100. Seems legit.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Well Sir, in theory it works like this:

Offering the game for free ideally brings in new players. From those new players some of them are bound to not only buy HOT but also gems in future.

From this extra generated cash they can continue to develop the game not only for these new players but also for all of us who have been here since the beginning. So you see, we continue to also get this game for FREE and are not burdened to pay for a subs or be FORCED to buy gems and can continue on for as long as the game will last.

Sooooo summary: no one has any right to moan imo. :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Why do they only have to pay $50 to play the full game with expansion but we had to pay $100. Seems legit.

You paid $50 to play for the last 2-3 years. The cost of HoT is the same for everyone.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: ShadowNinja.1238

ShadowNinja.1238

Offering the game for free ideally brings in new players. From those new players some of them are bound to not only buy HOT but also gems in future.

From this extra generated cash they can continue to develop the game not only for these new players but also for all of us who have been here since the beginning. So you see, we continue to also get this game for FREE and are not burdened to pay for a subs or be FORCED to buy gems and can continue on for as long as the game will last.

Yep then they lose players when people don’t want to pay for the expansion or unable to. That also means less gems purchased. I’d download gw2 if there was no expansion and I’m a person to buy gems often so yep, gj anet just money hungry. Let’s just copy WoW and add expansions…

Posted by: Brimstar.9036

Brimstar.9036

Oh man, a company that want you to buy their product?Holy crap, I didn’t see this coming. Oh me or my, how money hungry they are, giving out the core base game for free and wanting a more populated community. Gosh ANET are sure forcing us to pay for production costs. This isn’t a charity, its entertainment, get over it and how easily you throw a words like “money hungry around” mean you have no clue what a real money hungry game looks like. Your logic would make this company burn and fall, having no product at all. In any form of business, that isn’t good business. Them allowing players to come in and play the game for free and decide whether or not they like it enough to buy the expansion, is money hungry right? No thats just good marketing.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yep then they lose players when people don’t want to pay for the expansion or unable to. That also means less gems purchased. I’d download gw2 if there was no expansion and I’m a person to buy gems often so yep, gj anet just money hungry. Let’s just copy WoW and add expansions…

You’d download Guild Wars 2 if there was no expansion? Does that mean you’re not playing it any more? If so, what do you care? If it’s the expansion that’s bugging you, did you have it downloaded when there wasn’t an expansion a few months back? Or are you saying they should never have an expansion? Or maybe they should do all the work of making one, then not charge for it? (I’m sure you work all the time for free).

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: pepsis.5384

pepsis.5384

You paid $50 to play for the last 2-3 years. The cost of HoT is the same for everyone.

You are absolutely right and we, who bought the game when it released, have to thank Anet for all their work.

However some form of appreciation to those of us who bought both would be quite welcome.

(edited by pepsis.5384)

Paulytnz.7619

Which players do they lose? Those who originally bought the base game or free players? If the people who originally bought the game, well that happens, people get bored of games and move on. They can still continue to play if they don’t buy HOT, that is always an option as well.

If free players, well that’s fine. Either way people WILL still play and pay to play weather it be from buying HOT or gem purchasing; really does not matter which. The game will continue to survive.

What’s important is this – is it still free for us to play whom bought it 3 years ago with the promise we will NEVER be charged to play. Answer – yes. Next you can ask is this: is the game still fun to play? Well I and others are still here so I guess so!

So again I say, people really have no reason to moan about others getting the base game for free. Simply because A: we are still getting what was promised to us when we bought it and B: it’s still worthwhile to play. Anything else, (free base game to new players etc) is just assuring our future to continue to enjoy both A and B. So really, why would/should we moan over that? To me that would be similar to shooting yourself in the foot….

Paulytnz.7619

You are absolutely right and we, who bought the game when it released, have to thank Anet for all their work.

However some form of appreciation to those of us who bought both would be quite welcome.

Well there is still that free char slot (yes, yes I know we only got that after much QQ on the forums, but hey people make mistakes right, and Anet are people too. :P) as well as getting sneak previews of HOT during the Betas.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Why are games that I paid $60 for three years ago only $5 on steam sales. Because that’s what happens to games.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Why are games that I paid $60 for three years ago only $5 on steam sales. Because that’s what happens to games.

Well, according to a number of our forumites, the reason the companies are charging less for the games is because the companies are money hungry and it’s a cash grab.

Hey. I don’t try to explain it. It’s probably that new math that they taught after I was out of school. The one where 1 + 1 = whatever you want it to, because logic is irrelevant.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

You got a free character slot and an outfit.
Plus (if you played actively) all of the living world all for free (season one when it played, season two unlocked for free if you logged on when it played)

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Not only that, this is not even the first time I’ve bought a game and got an older one I already had bundled with it.

In some cases that was really helpful because the older one was for an obsolete version of windows (or even DOS) and an absolute pain to run on a newer machine. In other cases, oh well, I thought it was a fair price to pay for the stuff I didn’t have (otherwise I wouldn’t have bought it) so there’s no harm in a freebie I can’t use.

That’s pretty much my thinking here. I expected to pay about £35-40 for the deluxe edution of HoT, by buying the ultimate I got £42 of gems and the expansion for £37. Stuff that comes with it which I can’t use doesn’t matter either way to me.

But I also think it makes complete sense to bundle it for new players as the prospect of having to buy a game and one or more expansions all in one go just to be able to play has put me off getting some games. Until I can find them bundled together of course.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Null Shock.3745

Null Shock.3745

So if you purchased idk… The Disgaea series, you bought Disgaea 3 when it released, then bought all the DLC. A few years later they release it on the Vita, at a much lower price than the original, plus it has all the DLC and new content included. Well you Bought the original, you should get your money back, or some special treatment because people who bough the Vita version got all the content you payed for(likely around $100.) for $40 and they got more content. If you did, contact NISA and see if you get anything. I may do that lol, not because I feel entitled, I bought both versions(I like the idea of being able to play the game anywhere, I love that series.) just to see what they do say to me. . .Then obviously I would tell them I just wanted to see what they would say, maybe even link them here.

Seriously people, even if they gave the game to them completely unlocked for free(and allowed a flood of gold sellers spamming everyone.) We still come out on top.

Hell I have only been playing since like November, I bought the game on sale(I meant to buy it at release, but I didn’t and I kept getting distracted by shinnies and it took me awhile to get here.) I missed all of Season one, I missed tons of awesome events. I am not even sure if The [Crying Thorn] Dagger to drops in the Twilight Arbor dungeon anymore. I can’t afford to buy it of the TP either. Also I kept missing the [Mini Avatar of the Pale Tree] on the gemstore, but that was my fault(I want that mini more than a legendary weapon. . .Not sure why, I just do.], annnnyway. I am jealous of everyone who has played longer than I have. The people with armor/weapon skins I will likely never get (Aether skins for example.) PvP Armors (If I read the wiki the chest on the TP are a rip off, and I feel sorry for anyone who dropped the gold on them if they are useless, because they cost a lot.) Vets have the better deal, and are entitle to nothing, nor do we deserve anything more.

Again you got what you paid for, and more. Way more than what you would have got with my Disgaea scenario, and you would get nothing for that. You got so much more than you paid for. I mean no offense, and most of you are likely awesome people who help out newbs. I don’t remember the person’s character, but he was crafting inventory bags and Dyes(Crafted or collected) I even gave out some inventory bags and dyes and gold. And like you I have written a kitteny comment on the forum. My point is, just play the game, have fun, we have an influx of newbs who bought the HoT expand your guild, gather some newbs for a dungeon run. Just(Here is the part that sounds offensive. . . and may well be, though it lacks the intent to be.) top acting so spoiled.

I love this game, and the community, it helped me so much when I first started, I was given gold, items, advice on leveling, and earning gold. Never was I insulted for not knowing something, or being a newb. I was asked if I wanted to run dungeons. These forums represent our community as well, and it bothers me to see people arguing, over something that is really not that serious.(Well to be fair, it is not that serious in my opinion.)

I do not want to argue, so please do not reply to me if that is what you are going to do. Better yet, send me in game mail, I will invite you to my guild or we can just form a party, we can discuss/debate if you want, but only while running a dungeon. Also you have to have Vent installed, I will give you Guest access so we can actually have a friendly conversation/debate/whatever lol. (I am typing this on a laptop with a jacked up keyboard. . . So there may be a lot of errors, and for that I am sorry.)

See you all on the battlefields!

Null

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Are you still talking about the price? I mean 50€/$?

My flat costs about 2’200€/month. When I eat at MacDonalds, I pay 11€ for one meal, I go out for dinner, I pay about 50-70€ for one person alone.

Okay, I may live in an expensive country, but you can sink thousands of hours into this game while a dinner is maybe 3 hours.

There will be future discounts for sure.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

Buy it elsewhere, Anet have official resellers that have had the price as low as £10 off in my region. Shop around, if you’re concerned with value there are plenty of places to buy the game from. Don’t be pressured into pre-purchasing games.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

Are you still talking about the price? I mean 50€/$?

My flat costs about 2’200€/month. When I eat at MacDonalds, I pay 11€ for one meal, I go out for dinner, I pay about 50-70€ for one person alone.

Okay, I may live in an expensive country, but you can sink thousands of hours into this game while a dinner is maybe 3 hours.

There will be future discounts for sure.

3 hours for dinner? You truly must be European. But your point is correct. Weigh your allocation of money based on value you can receive. You always have the choice not to capitalize on that value, but by far Guild Wars 2 provides a greater amount of entertainment-hours per cost compared to many other things (like going to the movies/cinema, going to dinner, etc.).

Posted by: adityac.5103

adityac.5103

I already own GW2 I don’t need another copy. This is the most stupid thing Anet has done until now. Not excited for HoT because of this.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

I already own GW2 I don’t need another copy. This is the most stupid thing Anet has done until now. Not excited for HoT because of this.

You are not getting another copy at all when you buy the expansion. It is just someone does not need to own the core game in order to use the expansion the expansion gives full access to the core game as well for free.

This is how it will be going forward. For the next expansion, it will include Core and HoT for free, and then again for the next expansion after that one which will include all previous expansions + core for free.

Posted by: microdark.7013

microdark.7013

I hope that someone can explain this to me in simple term. I have the core game since the beginning, that 3 years, according to what is in the pre-purchache site, if I buy the Standard edition I don’t have access to the free slot because I didn’t bought the game this year, is this correct? Is Anet giving anything if I buy the standard pre-release to add to my existing game or if I buy the retail version at game launch? (I don’t care about BW, I like the box and I hope that its as good as the first)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I hope that someone can explain this to me in simple term. I have the core game since the beginning, that 3 years, according to what is in the pre-purchache site, if I buy the Standard edition I don’t have access to the free slot because I didn’t bought the game this year, is this correct? Is Anet giving anything if I buy the standard pre-release to add to my existing game or if I buy the retail version at game launch? (I don’t care about BW, I like the box and I hope that its as good as the first)

If you pre-purchase the expansion and apply it to your account before release, you get an additional character slot.

eisberg.2379

If you pre-purchase and apply the code to your account before release, you will get the extra character slot. If you enter code after release you will not get the code.

I don’t think they are making a physical version of the expansion, I think it is all digital.

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

I wonder what kind of deal be offer after release to make a new list of complaints, lol.

Posted by: Artmi.3745

Artmi.3745

This is totally wrong…

You can’t go like… hey I will sell this to you for 50$ it is totally yours and in 2-3 years i will make it free… because half of the people would not buy it.
Even if the decision to make it free came suddenly you still don’t just go like… well screw the suckers who paid we won’t make them any different from the people who got it for free…

free users will have restrictions to use Starter maps only until character reaches level 10 and Lion’s Arch unlocked for each character at level 35… really?
the difference is gradually getting the same content for free as the paying customers? with slight differences in chat abilities and guild storage withdrawal…?
because messaging one of the guild officers requesting an item is so beyond them?
or asking a paying client to buy an item for them and mailing it to them…
and those things were done as anti scamming not even as a limitation for the free clients…

not only that but as soon as they buy the new expansion pack which costs the same amount of money that we initially paid they get that “veteran” status that we have…
So basically for the same amount of money free clients get more content than us paying customers… making us pay double for the same amount of content…

and your claim is: “well you got to play for 3 years and they didn’t”… really?

well i didn’t buy 3 years premium gameplay time… I bought a game under the promise that I own it.

and i’m not angry you made it free… i’m angry because I feel that this decision on your part should entitle me to some sort of compensation… having my money’s worth…

I am glad that more people are going to be able to enjoy the game, and you will probably get even more money with micro transactions which is great… but just ignoring the people who were there supporting you when you needed it the most is totally wrong…

The whole point of your company was that it was different than those other companies that required a monthly fee and made a paid dlc for every tiny new map and set of armors… you have made every DLC independent in the first game that way no one felt cheated because he got the part of the content he paid for… but now you just screw over the early buyers teaching people not to trust you and to go look for a different game that doesn’t have that money above doing what is right mentality.

I really hope you will reconsider this course of action… or at least offer some sort of a worthwhile compensation for the people who stood by your game for all those years.

(edited by Artmi.3745)

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

This is totally wrong…

It actually isn’t.

Go ahead. Go into any retro/used game store and demand to pay original retail price for the games on the shelves. There are very few exceptions to games decreasing in value over time, and those exceptions are limited to physical hardware of rare or popular games. The game data itself is nearly worthless at this day and age because of emulators and rom hacks of the older game, so anybody can play it (sometimes illegally, but I digress)

You might say that this is only addressing reduced price games, but it can apply to free as well. Especially considering that the free core game is $56 the inferior of the standard core game ($56 to buy everything that would make it equal to the core game) and that’s without taking into account the level restrictions.

Just a flesh wound.3589

This is totally wrong…

Show me where they said that the game wouldn’t get cheaper as it got older. Tell me which games are still sold at launch price 3 years later. Point out which games have free expansions and also 3 years later the vanilla game is the same price as at launch. Explain why it’s better to have a high paywall that discourages new people from buying by charging them launch price for a 3 year old game.

Tell me how likely it is that you yourself would pay the full launch price plus the full price for an expansion for any game that’s 3 years old. A game where you’ve missed all the free temporary content, the holidays and the Living Story. Where you have to pay extra to buy the season 2 Living Story. Again, tell me which several years old games cost full launch price plus expansion price.

ANet may give it to you.

Artmi.3745

Go into any retro/used game store and demand to pay original retail price for the games on the shelves. There are very few exceptions to games decreasing in value over time, and those exceptions are limited to physical hardware of rare or popular games. The game data itself is nearly worthless at this day and age because of emulators and rom hacks of the older game, so anybody can play it (sometimes illegally, but I digress)

You might say that this is only addressing reduced price games, but it can apply to free as well. Especially considering that the free core game is $56 the inferior of the standard core game ($56 to buy everything that would make it equal to the core game) and that’s without taking into account the level restrictions.

I am not saying not to reduce price… but reducing prices is done gradually over time give me an example of a game that cost 50$ on sunday and went free on monday?
a game doesn’t cost 50$ one day and free the next…
also what you are talking about is true regarding single player games mostly…
you cannot hack in to guild wars to open an account for free, you might be able to make it run locally or make a private server out of it, but not fully play with the community under the support of Anet…

regarding the cost… no core game sales any more…
from now on you only buy extra content and get the original content for free with full privileges… no level restrictions or anything for the price of 50$ so i have no idea what you are talking about with core game costs 56$

Show me where they said that the game wouldn’t get cheaper as it got older. Tell me which games are still sold at launch price 3 years later. Point out which games have free expansions and also 3 years later the vanilla game is the same price as at launch. Explain why it’s better to have a high paywall that discourages new people from buying by charging them launch price for a 3 year old game.

Tell me how likely it is that you yourself would pay the full launch price plus the full price for an expansion for any game that’s 3 years old. A game where you’ve missed all the free temporary content, the holidays and the Living Story. Where you have to pay extra to buy the season 2 Living Story. Again, tell me which several years old games cost full launch price plus expansion price.

You don’t understand my point…
As stated before if base game price would go down gradually over the years I would totally understand… the game gets older, newer, more sophisticated and graphically better games are being released all the time. however this is not the case here…

I payed for more than some items and a few holiday festivals… i payed for the characters… the maps… the whole game experience which is A WHOLE LOT MORE than 3 years worth of event content…

not saying that it is worthless… but saying that this content is worth the price of the game is not fair… if you take out the whole GW2 story and maps and all of the original content the WvW and all of that… and left with just the event content would you have bought the game for 50$? and if your answer is yes on this… understand that there are many people who wouldn’t and it’s not fair making them feel like they were duped into doing just that.

Now i’m not saying they shouldn’t make the game free, they absolutely should!
my point is that they should give those people who did pay something that is worth the money they spent on the game… to feel like they got more than just event content.

I don’t know… but here are a couple of things out the top of my head:
- a discount on the new DLC content ( 30 % or so… 10 % drop a year seems reasonable?)
- some veteran exclusive content to show their veteran status (exclusive title, weapon, armor, follower, maybe give them an exclusive skill like that wolf skill)
- Gems?

Hell… even a personalized thank you for your support while the game was P2P would have been nice…

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

well i didn’t buy 3 years premium gameplay time… I bought a game under the promise that I own it.

and i’m not kittened you made it free… i’m angry because I feel that this decision on your part should entitle me to some sort of compensation… having my money’s worth…

You still do own core GW2. You can play it until the heat death of the servers.

Did you receive no value during the 3 years of gameplay time? Did you not get your money’s worth? To put this into perspective, I paid $60 for the core game. Heck, I’ll even throw in the $70 i spent on gems for bank slots during the first month. That’s a total of $130. I’ve played just a wee bit over 2800 hours in 3 years. $130/2800 = $.0464… so call it five cents per hour of play. If I never play core again, I’d call that the best value in entertainment I’ve ever seen. I’d not be surprised if my 2800 hours is below average for the player base as a whole.

So, how many hours entertainment did you get for your $50? Was it of no value to you? If so, why are you still here?

Artmi.3745

and i’m not kittened you made it free… i’m angry because I feel that this decision on your part should entitle me to some sort of compensation… having my money’s worth…

Did you receive no value during the 3 years of gameplay time? Did you not get your money’s worth? To put this into perspective, I paid $60 for the core game. Heck, I’ll even throw in the $70 i spent on gems for bank slots during the first month. That’s a total of $130. I’ve played just a wee bit over 2800 hours in 3 years. $130/2800 = $.0464… so call it five cents per hour of play. If I never play core again, I’d call that the best value in entertainment I’ve ever seen. I’d not be surprised if my 2800 hours is below average for the player base as a whole.

So, how many hours entertainment did you get for your $50? Was it of no value to you? If so, why are you still here?

I never said it wasn’t…
i said that the content available to me by paying is now available for free… and that if i had known that in 3 years i would be able to get that content for free, i doubt i would have payed for it at the time.

And I hardly see it fair that a person can just get the game now play it for 3 years and get the same amount of content and enjoyment as me for free when i had to buy it in order to gain access to it. (aside from the holiday events and such)

Like i said i didn’t buy 3 years of premium game time… i didn’t pay to have 3 years of content over other people…
I payed to be able to just have the ability to access the game… that’s why i find it not fair that the game is free now…

Anet is basically saying that micro transactions is where the money is at…
Ok, fine…
However you don’t just forget about the people who you made pay money to get the option of paying for the micro transactions

(edited by Artmi.3745)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If you feel having a 3 year head-start on player that can now access the core game at no additional charge is worthless, I suggest waiting until ArenaNet announces there will no longer be any updates to the game, so that you can purchase the last expansion and get any content included at no additional cost.

You may, however, be left behind, or find it more difficult to complete some content, or miss out on special events…but, that should be of no special concern. Saving money is important, of course.

Good luck.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

I never said it wasn’t…
i said that the content available to me by paying is now available for free… and that if i had known that in 3 years i would be able to get that content for free, i doubt i would have payed for it at the time.

And I hardly see it fair that a person can just get the game now play it for 3 years and get the same amount of content and enjoyment as me for free when i had to buy it in order to gain access to it. (aside from the holiday events and such)

Like i said i didn’t buy 3 years of premium game time… i didn’t pay to have 3 years of content over other people…
I payed to be able to just have the ability to access the game… that’s why i find it not fair that the game is free now…

Anet is basically saying that micro transactions is where the money is at…
Ok, fine…
However you don’t just ignore the people who payed to gain access to be able to pay again for the micro transactions…

They are giving a gift of Core to new players to bring more people to our game (this is good).

Every game decreases in value over time, you knew this 3 years ago I hope, but you wanted to play GW2.

They have kept their staff and servers working for GW2 for the past 3 years and the development years prior – they then sold this development for whatever you bought it for and you liked it so much you’re still here 3 years later.

HoT is £35 with a gift of a character slot and outfit for veterans and a gift of the core game for new players.

You haven’t been cheated you’ve had a team of passionate people producing updates and events for you on top of the time it took to craft the beautiful world of Tyria you’ve spent 3 years playing. Now there is more to see in HoT which costs £35 (an amount you could have saved up for at a rate of £1 a week since announcement).

Your account and characters have gained many things to help you in Tyria over that time and if you really think its not been worth the 3 year journey then I don’t know what more I can say – I don’t understand you as a person.

Posted by: visias.5923

visias.5923

It’s not like I expected the expansion to be free, I just don;t get why it’s the same price as the base game was for less content. When GW2 first came out there was an entire world of stuff to explore and yeah I feel like after the 3 years I got my money’s worth for most part. But the Expansion is not even half the size of the base game and even if they do add more after launch I doubt it will match the value of content we got before.

Posted by: Straylight.7529

Straylight.7529

You are thinking way too hard about this. Your long-winded and multi-layered pseudo-justification of why HoT should be priced less than $50 is not going to make Arenanet drop the price.

The expansion costs $50. Accept that or move on.

I just don’t see how 1 character slot equals out to paying even more money for a game that I spent $90 in the first place that is now worthless

You had access to the game for three years. If you feel that all those memories and the time you spent in Tyria has been made worthless then I’m sorry to hear that.

At the lowest option that means I am spend a total of $140 to avoid a chat restriction, economy restriction and for a character slot.

But you said that you already bought the game. There is no need to avoid any restrictions.

(edited by Straylight.7529)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It’s not like I expected the expansion to be free, I just don;t get why it’s the same price as the base game was for less content. When GW2 first came out there was an entire world of stuff to explore and yeah I feel like after the 3 years I got my money’s worth for most part. But the Expansion is not even half the size of the base game and even if they do add more after launch I doubt it will match the value of content we got before.

No expansion has ever done what you’re expecting. The closest some have gotten is maybe 25% which would equate to a $15 expansion which won’t happen. There is no cost-to-content direct relationship across games and expansions. Either the content within the expansion is worth the price or it’s not. If it’s not then don’t buy it.

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

Indeed, this “expansion” currently is not worth the money, especially for a WvW player.

Even as a PvE players, all you get is one new zone, which will have 3-4 maps, each with 3 levels.
First of all we do not know how concentrated these levels will be, or how large each map will be. But even then this isnt enough to call this a full expansion.
Sure there could be come living story episodes, but again that’s just an assumption going by anet’s track records on promises. And even the last LS episodes were rather pathetic. you could log in and complete the entire thing in a couple of hours, after than it was was grinding for the achievements! Yes yet more grinding in a game they promised would not have grinding! Because they were trying to get these out every 2 weeks they lacked real content, so again something I would not pay for!

We get the revenent, but then it seems anet are bloating the news on specialiations and masteries. Both of these are not really content, they are changes to a game’s mechanics.
And I am sorry but I dont want to pay for changes to mechanics for a game, I pay for content. Hence why I will not be buying HoT until I find a store selling it at a more reasonable price.

So we still end up with the question of what exactly are we buying here? half an expansion being charged at full price? With maybe a few LS episodes thrown in in a year?

Posted by: Ticky.5831

Ticky.5831

At this point, after addressing the refund issue, and giving a character slot to veterans for pre-purchase, anyone who is still complaining about the base game getting packaged in for free are just being greedy.

Price-per-content is a different story, and maybe my standards are low for content time, but 15 hours or so of fresh content(story, progression unlocks, 1st wing raid completion) would be worth $50 for me. Honestly I feel i got my money’s worth out of the core game in the first 2 weeks, and frankly I find the concept of a lower price tag devaluing someones personal past experience with the game to be absolutely baffling.

(edited by Ticky.5831)

Posted by: Kityn.8247

Kityn.8247

At this point, after addressing the refund issue, and giving a character slot to veterans for pre-purchase, anyone who is still complaining about the base game getting packaged in for free are just being greedy.

Price-per-content is a different story, and maybe my standards are low for content time, but 15 hours or so of fresh content(story, progression unlocks, 1st wing raid completion) would be worth $50 for me. Honestly I feel i got my money’s worth out of the core game in the first 2 weeks, and frankly I find the concept of a lower price tag devaluing someones personal past experience with the game to be absolutely baffling.

HoT should have came with a free character slot for veteran players without needing to prepurchase to get it.

Posted by: FielDHooD.1829

FielDHooD.1829

I was planning on playing this game again. But there IS NO WAY IN HELL THAT I AM PLANNING OR EVEN GOING TO CONSIDER BUYING HoT FOR $50 OR WHAT EVER PRICE THEY ARE ASKING, its RIDICULOUS. Its like buying a brand new game. I rather buy The Elders Scroll Online and experience a new game for that SAME price. EITHER LOWER THE PRICE OF HoT FOR THOSE THAT ALREADY LOYALLY PLAYED THE GAME FOR YEARS or Ill Be playing some other MMO. Im sure im not the only one with the same opinion)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Perhaps it’s still an issue because the core game attached to HoT is the full version, whereas F2P gets a truncated version. I don’t think that way, myself, but I do sort of understand the point of view. It’s pretty obvious that Anet believes they will gain more financial benefit from sales of HoT to new players without the (however small) pay wall of core price. So, what we have is posters ascribing a greater value to core than Anet is.

Well I think it’s still an issue because people are cognizant of the fact that the F2P conversion is a response to complaints that the expansion was overpriced and that it was overpriced partly because of ANETs scheme offer new players the core game free. Now I know you and I have personally unpacked this issue so I won’t go into in detail. I’ll just restate what I think are reasonably concluded based on their pricing.

1. ANET expects the majority of their HoT buyers to be existing customers who would not have repurchased the core game anyway.
2. ANET raised the price of the expansion when they decided to offer new players the core game free.

Nothing about those statement has changed. ANET is still on a strategy to collect the bulk of their money from charging existing customers for the expansion. So it’s pretty normal for people to feel that the sudden F2P conversion is a marketing tactic meant to “outsmart” them and their complaints. It’s normal for them to be annoyed by it, because that kind of behavior is annoying.

Now…they actually have resolved some issues for me. One salient point I heard vets making was that they were paying for the core game, but not getting a copy of it that they could give to someone else and maybe gain a new playmate. That issue is resolved. By making GW2 F2P (at least sort of), it is easier to get new friends to try the game and that does raise the value of owning HoT.

Like I said, the price issue is over for me. I don’t think HoT is worth $50 based on the amount of content it’s offering. And since I am not in the business of loaning my money to for profit corporations in exchange for NOTHING, I don’t see the value in pre-purchasing HoT or buying it on the vague promise of content in the future.

Not when Skyforge is actually free for example, and a dozen other games are coming out that look way more interesting than what ANET is doing with GW2. They need to take some of the sadistic cleverness they are plugging into marketing and plug it into their actual game!

I don’t know who is ‘cognizant’ of this rumor, but ArenaNet has stated that they have been working on the Play for Free model for a year (to get the restrictions, etc. right). I don’t think it was in response to any complaints about the price of HoT, as the price was only announced 3 months ago.

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/guild-wars-2-core-game-is-now-free/

eisberg.2379

I was one of the probably many people that spent $90ish dollars on the best version of guild wars 2 when it came out. I am having a hard time figuring out how it is worth spending another $50-$90 on for this new expansion just simply to get a free character slot. At the lowest option that means I am spend a total of $140 to avoid a chat restriction, economy restriction and for a character slot.

I think there should be a option to simply just upgrade my account to this new expansion. I would spend $20 to upgrade my account to the new expansion and not care if I get a character slot or not. By going free to play (even though free to play is partially limited) pretty much meant I spent $90 to get around a few limitations and for a few exclusive things which again seems like a rip off for any support of the game before the free to play came out.

I just don’t see how 1 character slot equals out to paying even more money for a game that I spent $90 in the first place that is now worthless and need to spend another $50-$90 to be on par with new players. I shouldn’t have to spend $140-$180 (depending on edition type) to have what someone could of spent $50-$90 on.

I know people will just be like O well what about games like World of Warcraft charging $60 for new expansions? The thing about spending $60 on a new expansion is that it doesn’t give you the entire game up to that point with the expansion. It only gives you that single expansion so your previous purchase isn’t made worthless like this is where you get the expansion and the original game.

I just feel like the way this expansion is priced and not giving a option to pay a lesser fee to previous supporters of the game to just upgrade without also paying for a second core game kind of throws us under the bus. To me a extra character slot is not worth the extra $25ish dollars compared to if I could just pay $25 to upgrade off my current core game.

The expansion would have to be much much smaller for them to only charge $20 for it. Their budget for the game would have been based on how much they could charge and how many they would sell. For $20 where the biggest bulk of their sales would be from people who bought the core would mean they would have to spend a whole lot less on development, and make it even smaller.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

Indeed, this “expansion” currently is not worth the money, especially for a WvW player.

Even as a PvE players, all you get is one new zone, which will have 3-4 maps, each with 3 levels.
First of all we do not know how concentrated these levels will be, or how large each map will be. But even then this isnt enough to call this a full expansion.
Sure there could be come living story episodes, but again that’s just an assumption going by anet’s track records on promises. And even the last LS episodes were rather pathetic. you could log in and complete the entire thing in a couple of hours, after than it was was grinding for the achievements! Yes yet more grinding in a game they promised would not have grinding! Because they were trying to get these out every 2 weeks they lacked real content, so again something I would not pay for!

We get the revenent, but then it seems anet are bloating the news on specialiations and masteries. Both of these are not really content, they are changes to a game’s mechanics.
And I am sorry but I dont want to pay for changes to mechanics for a game, I pay for content. Hence why I will not be buying HoT until I find a store selling it at a more reasonable price.

So we still end up with the question of what exactly are we buying here? half an expansion being charged at full price? With maybe a few LS episodes thrown in in a year?

-9 Elite Specializations

-1 new Class (Revenant)

-Raids

-Guild Halls (with such things as new Guild Armors, Guild Weapons, and Scribing)

-4 new Maguuma maps

-Masteries

-Access to the Living Story: Season 3

And by tell if your post, it seems that you’ve not payed for anything beyond the base game, nor ever will. So are you even a “customer” that they’d aim for? Because you don’t seem to support the game very much at all. You’re essentially on par with F2P players; and when HoT launches and you don’t purchase it, you’ll be treated as such as well. Good luck with that…

Just a flesh wound.3589

If the price is too high them just wait till it drops then buy. No need to make a thread about it, especially since there is already a thread with the exact same discussion on this sub forum and on the this very same page. Just wait, get it cheaper and your objections are solved.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: CptTrips.6512

CptTrips.6512

I was planning on playing this game again. But there IS NO WAY IN HELL THAT I AM PLANNING OR EVEN GOING TO CONSIDER BUYING HoT FOR $50 OR WHAT EVER PRICE THEY ARE ASKING, its RIDICULOUS. Its like buying a brand new game. I rather buy The Elders Scroll Online and experience a new game for that SAME price. EITHER LOWER THE PRICE OF HoT FOR THOSE THAT ALREADY LOYALLY PLAYED THE GAME FOR YEARS or Ill Be playing some other MMO. Im sure im not the only one with the same opinion)

NO NEED TO USE CAPS. Go on, play ESO and be happy

Posted by: Bandrell.4357

Bandrell.4357

Let me pose a different question. If humanity discovered a clean self-sustainable method of fusion, charged you a one time fee of $50 for lifetime electricity, then offered people free energy, would you then boycott the DWP for all the years you paid for electricity?

(edited by Bandrell.4357)

Posted by: Methods.4023

Methods.4023

Got to love people that complain about supporting a game. There is no monthly fee for this game. You think this game cost nothing to make or run? It takes millions to make a mmo plus who knows what it cost to run the servers and pay the people to run them. Lets not even think what they spend on people to make all the FREE content we have gotten last 3 years.

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

Warcraft? You mean the game that gives you the base game plus every expansion other than the newest one for twenty bucks? That Warcraft?