HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

All things posted, but there also some new things coming to WvW and PvP, though how you count it up to you, sicne they made the thought to allow all players, regardless of owning the expansion or not to play it, thought you need HoT for a couple of the PvP heroes.

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

I was one of the probably many people that spent $90ish dollars on the best version of guild wars 2 when it came out. I am having a hard time figuring out how it is worth spending another $50-$90 on for this new expansion just simply to get a free character slot. At the lowest option that means I am spend a total of $140 to avoid a chat restriction, economy restriction and for a character slot.

I think there should be a option to simply just upgrade my account to this new expansion. I would spend $20 to upgrade my account to the new expansion and not care if I get a character slot or not. By going free to play (even though free to play is partially limited) pretty much meant I spent $90 to get around a few limitations and for a few exclusive things which again seems like a rip off for any support of the game before the free to play came out.

I just don’t see how 1 character slot equals out to paying even more money for a game that I spent $90 in the first place that is now worthless and need to spend another $50-$90 to be on par with new players. I shouldn’t have to spend $140-$180 (depending on edition type) to have what someone could of spent $50-$90 on.

I know people will just be like O well what about games like World of Warcraft charging $60 for new expansions? The thing about spending $60 on a new expansion is that it doesn’t give you the entire game up to that point with the expansion. It only gives you that single expansion so your previous purchase isn’t made worthless like this is where you get the expansion and the original game.

I just feel like the way this expansion is priced and not giving a option to pay a lesser fee to previous supporters of the game to just upgrade without also paying for a second core game kind of throws us under the bus. To me a extra character slot is not worth the extra $25ish dollars compared to if I could just pay $25 to upgrade off my current core game.

The expansion would have to be much much smaller for them to only charge $20 for it. Their budget for the game would have been based on how much they could charge and how many they would sell. For $20 where the biggest bulk of their sales would be from people who bought the core would mean they would have to spend a whole lot less on development, and make it even smaller.

Nope.

Rift latest expansion was $24 at launch and is actually much much bigger then HoT. You can actually get it for free now if you’re unemployed, retired or just patient via in-game grind (gemstones equivalent mechanics). Also includes MULTIPLE new dungeons, new raids on top of the standard outdoor content. In fact, I would go as far as say HoT is about half the size without any new dungeons and only 1 raid but at 2-3 times the price. Pathetic.

Now, A-Nets budget might be dwindling dramatically, take for example 3 years of WvW neglect and the dwindling numbers of players there and the dead servers. I mean, LOL, do they expect people to pay them for that ?

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

(edited by Tongku.5326)

Posted by: Gerikstoof.9563

Gerikstoof.9563

Warcraft? You mean the game that gives you the base game plus every expansion other than the newest one for twenty bucks a month? That Warcraft?

Fixed it for you

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I was one of the probably many people that spent $90ish dollars on the best version of guild wars 2 when it came out. I am having a hard time figuring out how it is worth spending another $50-$90 on for this new expansion just simply to get a free character slot. At the lowest option that means I am spend a total of $140 to avoid a chat restriction, economy restriction and for a character slot.

I think there should be a option to simply just upgrade my account to this new expansion. I would spend $20 to upgrade my account to the new expansion and not care if I get a character slot or not. By going free to play (even though free to play is partially limited) pretty much meant I spent $90 to get around a few limitations and for a few exclusive things which again seems like a rip off for any support of the game before the free to play came out.

I just don’t see how 1 character slot equals out to paying even more money for a game that I spent $90 in the first place that is now worthless and need to spend another $50-$90 to be on par with new players. I shouldn’t have to spend $140-$180 (depending on edition type) to have what someone could of spent $50-$90 on.

I know people will just be like O well what about games like World of Warcraft charging $60 for new expansions? The thing about spending $60 on a new expansion is that it doesn’t give you the entire game up to that point with the expansion. It only gives you that single expansion so your previous purchase isn’t made worthless like this is where you get the expansion and the original game.

I just feel like the way this expansion is priced and not giving a option to pay a lesser fee to previous supporters of the game to just upgrade without also paying for a second core game kind of throws us under the bus. To me a extra character slot is not worth the extra $25ish dollars compared to if I could just pay $25 to upgrade off my current core game.

The expansion would have to be much much smaller for them to only charge $20 for it. Their budget for the game would have been based on how much they could charge and how many they would sell. For $20 where the biggest bulk of their sales would be from people who bought the core would mean they would have to spend a whole lot less on development, and make it even smaller.

Nope.

Rift latest expansion was $24 at launch and is actually much much bigger then HoT. You can actually get it for free now if you’re unemployed, retired or just patient via in-game grind (gemstones equivalent mechanics). Also includes MULTIPLE new dungeons, new raids on top of the standard outdoor content. In fact, I would go as far as say HoT is about half the size without any new dungeons and only 1 raid but at 2-3 times the price. Pathetic.

Now, A-Nets budget might be dwindling dramatically, take for example 3 years of WvW neglect and the dwindling numbers of players there and the dead servers. I mean, LOL, do they expect people to pay them for that ?

Yep, I’m sure the six players still play Rift are welll aware of that. Rift is so far down the food chain, it doesn’t even belong in this conversation. They pretty much have to do whatever they can to keep the existing playerbase playing because it’s diminished so far.

Let’s not forget how long Rift charged a sub for, before they went free to play.

Did I mention I was a Rift player. Paid for an entire year and ended up playing four months. I’m sure they counted me for that entire year, even though I never logged in again.

At the time of this writing Rift has 7 North American servers all with a low population. And 6 european servers, all with a low population.

I’m pretty sure that Rift’s pricing policy has a lot more do to with no one caring about it than anything else.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Nope.

1: you can’t compare the size of HoT with an expansion in Rift. HoT isn#t released yet and we do not know the size.
2: Rift is a game with a monthly fee (with a play for free mode that is to lure you in).
3: besides HoT itself you are also paying for all the free content that will be released over the next few years untill the next expansion comes out. Something that isnt included at Rift.

Point is, no matter how much people are whining, GW2 is the game where you get the most game for what you buy. No monthly fee, a huge amount of regular content updates, and all you have to do is buy an expansion once every few years, to keep recieving the future releases. No other game is giving more content for the price paid!

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

I think the expansion is not worth 90 bucks, maybe not even 50. You can always ask yourself how much you expect to play the game after the expansion hits.

You could also just wait a bit and get it for free.

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

Nope.

Funny you would mention WvW. It looks like that game mode is getting some really interesting revamp. Although every game mode has a player base that seems to think that their mode has been neglected for 3 years in favour of the other modes. Which means either all of the modes were neglected or none were.

Posted by: Ticky.5831

Ticky.5831

At this point, after addressing the refund issue, and giving a character slot to veterans for pre-purchase, anyone who is still complaining about the base game getting packaged in for free are just being greedy.

Price-per-content is a different story, and maybe my standards are low for content time, but 15 hours or so of fresh content(story, progression unlocks, 1st wing raid completion) would be worth $50 for me. Honestly I feel i got my money’s worth out of the core game in the first 2 weeks, and frankly I find the concept of a lower price tag devaluing someones personal past experience with the game to be absolutely baffling.

HoT should have came with a free character slot for veteran players without needing to prepurchase to get it.

Do other MMOs give you a new slot for an expansion?

Not being contrary, genuinely curious. I haven’t bought an expansion for an MMO since Cataclysm for WoW.

Posted by: dsslive.8473

dsslive.8473

You aren’t paying for just a character slot, you’re paying to get acces to everything coming with the expansion: elite specs, raids, heart of maguuma region, masteries, etc

So no, you’re not paying just for an extra character, it’s just something you get if you do decide to buy the expansion.

It’s not a rip off, not even remortely close to it. You spent your money buying the original game and have had 3 years of playing, including events that wont be back, progress made that new players will ahve to take 3 more years to get close to.

Also, the expansion costs 50$ that is the price of it, the character slot does not come into play into the price, if you dont think the expansion warrants that price than don’t buy it. You’re free to wait a year or two till it goes down that far or better yet till the next expansion comes around and you’ll get it for free with it, ofc if you dont mind mising everything that happens inbetween.

Again, you are not paying for an extra character slot, you are paying for all the content that comes with the expansion, it’s not that hard to understand.

Actually you do, that’s kinda the deal with being there from the start, you have every right to choose and wait for prices to lower down the road, that happens with every single product. You want to be there from the start but you also want to get all the future discounts etc with it? If i buy a laptop full price when it first comes out, do i deserve to get a part of the money back when it’s being sold at lower price of just given away? no i dont.

Your previous purchase has not been made worthless, you had 3 years of events happen that new people will not get to enjoy, including not ahving to pay for extras like season 2 story chapters, we got all that for free, they still have to buy those.

The price of the expansion is 50$ with or without the core game added to it for free, the price would remain the same, whether that price is worth it to you, again, totally your decision.

You are not paying for an extra core game, the expansion is 50$ with or without it core game being added for free. Also, the character slot does not make up 25$ of the price, it makes up a complete 0$ of the price. The upgrade is 50$ will be so till launch, will be so for awhile after launch (when there is no extra character slot fyi, so it does not factor in the price) and after some time (with the original game it was like a year) it will start going down in price, feel free to wait as long as you want and miss everything happening inbetween.

Posted by: Zagreus.8509

Zagreus.8509

It does seem a little pricey, I’ll wait till it releases and see how much content it actually has :P.

Content has always been GW2’s problem at launch it was great, but it has had nothing new added to it in 3 years. There should be an expansion every year/18 months at max and by now we should be getting close to a new continent either Cantha or Elona, and already have a new class with this current one being the second.

The whole reason that players left and stopped playing myself included the content ran out and new stuff was never added. Which then means they lose players = less gem sales, no one recommends the game to their friends = no box sales then finally you go F2P to hopefully generate more gem sales. Problem is most people that play F2P have no money for gems which is why they are F2P in the first place.

Posted by: Fancy Noob.8475

Fancy Noob.8475

Just shut up and enjoy the game…. if you don’t like it ask for a refund now and stop playing the game.

Vayne.8563

It does seem a little pricey, I’ll wait till it releases and see how much content it actually has :P.

Content has always been GW2’s problem at launch it was great, but it has had nothing new added to it in 3 years. There should be an expansion every year/18 months at max and by now we should be getting close to a new continent either Cantha or Elona, and already have a new class with this current one being the second.

The whole reason that players left and stopped playing myself included the content ran out and new stuff was never added. Which then means they lose players = less gem sales, no one recommends the game to their friends = no box sales then finally you go F2P to hopefully generate more gem sales. Problem is most people that play F2P have no money for gems which is why they are F2P in the first place.

There’s so much wrong with this post, I don’t even know where to begin. Way to generalize. lol

Edit: The fact is, once you said nothing has been added, you’ve lost any credibility you might have had. Now you might not like the stuff that was added, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t there. And some of it was temporary but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t there.

And then believing most people feel like you do is just confirmation bias. You really don’t know how many people like it or don’t. Nor do you know how many people stayed or left. Until the expansion push, we were getting content releases and there was only minor rumbling on the forums about the pace.

(edited by Vayne.8563)

Posted by: Zagreus.8509

Zagreus.8509

There’s so much wrong with this post, I don’t even know where to begin. Way to generalize. lol

Edit: The fact is, once you said nothing has been added, you’ve lost any credibility you might have had. Now you might not like the stuff that was added, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t there. And some of it was temporary but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t there.

And then believing most people feel like you do is just confirmation bias. You really don’t know how many people like it or don’t. Nor do you know how many people stayed or left. Until the expansion push, we were getting content releases and there was only minor rumbling on the forums about the pace.

Be realistic mate.

This game has remained largely unchanged in 3 years. I don’t know if you played at launch but I can tell you that this game has a fraction of the players it once had, fact.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

This game has remained largely unchanged in 3 years.

What? Are we talking about the same game, because the game called Guild Wars 2 did in fact change a lot over the last 3 years. Which game are you talking about?

I don’t know if you played at launch but I can tell you that this game has a fraction of the players it once had, fact.

A game having less players playing after 3 years than at release? It must be the end of the world!

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Be realistic mate.

This game has remained largely unchanged in 3 years. I don’t know if you played at launch but I can tell you that this game has a fraction of the players it once had, fact.

You say that almost as if GW2 is the only MMO to suffer for this problem. The population of all MMOs slowly goes down without something to repeatedly draw their interest, and since it’s been nearly 9 months since the last LS episode release, of course GW’s active population was going to go downhill.

That’s why they, and all MMOs ever really, make the expansions: to generate a large amount of interest in the game to bring back old and new players.

Vayne.8563

Be realistic mate.

Realistically at launch there were no fractals. There was no ascended gear. No champ bags and therefore no champ trains. There was no Edge of the Mists.

Even WvW changed when the water and krait were removed and progression was added.

There are new PvP arenas and at least 1 has been removed.

There is at least one new dungeon path, the Tequatl fight has been completely revamped, triple threat was added, mini games were added, festivals were added.

Then there was the entirety of season 1, which included the Molten Faciity, the Aetherblade Dungeon, the Nightmare Tower, and the Marionette Fight, plus Escape from Lions Arch and the Battle for Lion’s Arch.

Lion’s Arch itself was destroyed and rebuilt. Dynamic events have been added. Three zones have been added, one of which contains the Karka Queen.

You may not think the TA Aetherblade path is content, but I do.

And then there’s the entirety of the Living World Season 2, which I received for free simply by logging in.

Of course traits have changed twice, including the most recent change to core specializations.

That doesn’t included quality of life changes like being able to preview the trading post (which itself was revamped), the wardrobe, the account wallet, the removal of culling from WvW, PvP reward tracks, personal arenas, Guild Missions (you know the 3 puzzles, numerous rushes and bounties, treks and challenges).

There have also been jumping puzzles added, some of which are quite challenging not to mention long.

There has been no real content for many months now, but to say that nothing has been added to this game is not only misleading, it’s insulting. People worked kitten that content. Some of us enjoyed it.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Be realistic mate.

Game is more active then ever and the list of changes is huge. Just cause those changes are not in your interest, doesnt make them non-existing.

Just to name a few:
Living world season 1 and 2
3 new world maps
1 new dungeon path
Wvw borderlands redesign
4 new PvP-maps
fractals
2 annual festivals
new central hub (LA)
1 map redecorated (kessex hills)
dozens of local changes in maps
new jumping puzzle
wardrobe
skill-balances
trait-system overhaul
NPE
etc etc etc.

This list can go on and on. The game is hugely different then at launch!

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Strzalka.9451

Strzalka.9451

$10 for a movie ticket at a crappy theater for 2 hours of entertainment.
$50=10 hours. HOT > 10 hours therefore HOT > $50.

Diabel Zwierze/Ranger
80’s – Necro/War/Ele/Guard

Posted by: VictorTroska.3725

VictorTroska.3725

Hello,

Just my own thoughts and feedback; HoT expansion price is too high. For me who mostly prefer play solo and adventure around Tyria HoT is not bringing much areas to explore compared to original game. In Guild Wars, expansions offered vast new lands to explore and adventure in and thus I had no doubt to purchase the product. Once Guild Wars 2 was announced I bought it as soon as it was avaliable and exploring and adventuring across so many lands was simply amazing. The best experience I ever had in mmo’s hands down.

Now I really have doubts about HoT. There seem to be too few areas and I wouldnt have big problem with fewer area expansion if price was right. I love Arena Net and I love Guild Wars and its world and community but I just cannot pay 45 euros for HoT. HoT brings a lot of new exciting features and specs but I have been paying my Warrior since day one and its the only character I have and love, so for me expansion does not really bring much, at least not as much as I got from Factions, Nightfall or EotN.

Thank you.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

Go into any retro/used game store and demand to pay original retail price for the games on the shelves. There are very few exceptions to games decreasing in value over time, and those exceptions are limited to physical hardware of rare or popular games. The game data itself is nearly worthless at this day and age because of emulators and rom hacks of the older game, so anybody can play it (sometimes illegally, but I digress)

You might say that this is only addressing reduced price games, but it can apply to free as well. Especially considering that the free core game is $56 the inferior of the standard core game ($56 to buy everything that would make it equal to the core game) and that’s without taking into account the level restrictions.

I am not saying not to reduce price… but reducing prices is done gradually over time give me an example of a game that cost 50$ on sunday and went free on monday?
a game doesn’t cost 50$ one day and free the next…
also what you are talking about is true regarding single player games mostly…
you cannot hack in to guild wars to open an account for free, you might be able to make it run locally or make a private server out of it, but not fully play with the community under the support of Anet…

The game didn’t go from $50 to free over night. At launch, the game was selling for $60. At least as early as January of 2014, when my wife’s account was made, the standard edition was selling for $40. January of 2015, when my account was made, the game went on sale for $10. Only now, 3 years after launch, is the core game valued at $0 by Anet. The game has been reducing in price over the years, slowly; there is nothing newsworthy about any of this.

regarding the cost… no core game sales any more…
from now on you only buy extra content and get the original content for free with full privileges… no level restrictions or anything for the price of 50$ so i have no idea what you are talking about with core game costs 56$

What I mean is that the free core game version is lacking an amount of things that requires either real money or a ton of in-game gold-to-gems to make up for it being a free account. The things that “cost money” are the character slots and bag slots per character, of which the free accounts have 2 and 3/character respectively, compared to 5 and 5/character.
Character slots = 800 gems * 3 = 2400 gems
Bag slots = 400 gems * 2/character * 5 characters = 4000 gems (1600 gems if only buying for 2 characters)
Every 800 gems it costs $10 or, right now, ~160G (which new players will not have). The very minimum they could pay to make their two characters similar to a regular game character is $20 for the 4 bag slots, but to get 5 characters with 5 bag slots they would need to pay $80. This is how far behind a free account is and, like I said, they also have chat and level restrictions up the wazoo.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Nope.

Wrong, Rift only had 1 expansion they charged for and at launch it was $39.99 ($10 less than Guild Wars 2 expansion), and it was at the time when a subscription was required in order to play.
http://www.destructoid.com/rift-storm-legion-dated-pre-order-bonuses-detailed-234425.phtml

Now they have a newer expansion, which they are giving away for free to everyone, but people can get some packages that give them extra inventory slots, access to exclusive items with in the game, a title, and something that allows you to wear certain pieces of gear that only people who bought the bundles are allowed to wear and earn that is all based around the expansion content.
Their newest expansion adds 3 maps, 6 dungeons, 1 raid, and a new souls. Hardly call that more than 2x, if anything it is smaller, especially since all new added content that will be added for HoT after it releases.

Rift is a Free To Play game with a much different business model that includes a subscription option.

So using Rift is a bad example, you are comparing apples to oranges there.

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

-9 Elite Specializations

Changes to mechanics which players SHOULD NOT have to pay for EVER!

-1 new Class (Revenant)

Yes 1 new class, after 3 years.

-Raids

Based on the PvE that is terrible, I dont hold much hopes for this.

-Guild Halls (with such things as new Guild Armors, Guild Weapons, and Scribing)

Not exactly playable content, so again we should not have to pay for this

-4 new Maguuma maps

This is supposed to be an expansion, 4 maps is not enough!

-Masteries

More mechanic changes, should not be charged for!

-Access to the Living Story: Season 3

Cos LS 1&2 were so engaging. Sorry but again, if each one can be completed in a couple of hours, no way in hell is it worth it.
Note again these are not in the expansion! They are potential future updates.

Now if Anet want to include these in the price then they should not be selling the past episodes in the gem store! So this point is straight away mute as if it is included in this price, none of the LS episodes should be in the gem store at all and available to all players, new and old for free! Cos we’ve paid for it already based on your comment by buying the core game and expansion!

So again, what we are being asked to pay for is nowhere near enough a full expansion’s worth of content, or even half an expansion!!!

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

-9 Elite Specializations

Additions, not changes. Added content should not be assumed to be free.

-1 new Class (Revenant)

They weren’t going to do this at launch. It’s a relatively new thing.

-Raids

Remains to be seen, but you could be right. We’ll see when it launches.

-Guild Halls (with such things as new Guild Armors, Guild Weapons, and Scribing)

Sorry, but that’s incorrect. It absolutely is playable content and content all the same. See above: Added content should not be assumed to be free.

-4 new Maguuma maps

It all depends on how big they are. Verdant Brink is a decent size from the betas, and we even haven’t seen the half of it. Number of maps means absolutely nothing without context. If they gave you 100 new maps but they were all just the inside of small houses, you would not be very pleased now would you?

-Masteries

See above: Added content should not be assumed to be free. Also, most of the masteries exist within expansion zones, so even if they were accessible to core-only, it would be pointless.

Cos LS 1&2 were so engaging. Sorry but again, if each one can be completed in a couple of hours, no way in hell is it worth it.

Now if Anet want to include these in the price then they should not be selling the past episodes in the gem store! So this point is straight away mute as if it is included in this price, none of the LS episodes should be in the gem store at all and available to all players, new and old for free! Cos we’ve paid for it already based on your comment by buying the core game and expansion!

I would like to see another sale for LWS2. They had one recently, actually, but it has since ended. The problem is, if they bundled LWS2 with the bonus packs then people would complain about that as well. Also, LWS3 is in the expansion; not as a potential update but as an actual update down the road. Potential means it could be done but isn’t necessarily.

So again, what we are being asked to pay for is nowhere near enough a full expansion’s worth of content, or even half an expansion!!!

If you don’t feel it’s worth the cost, simply don’t buy the expansion just yet. If you wait two or so years, you can pick up this expansion and the next one for $50.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

-9 Elite Specializations

-1 new Class (Revenant)

-Raids

-4 new Maguuma maps

-Masteries

Explain why “mechanic changes” should not be charged for. Explain Why what you label as “non-playable content” should not be charged.

You’re focusing on quantity without regard to quality and depth when it comes to the number of maps. A single HoT map is much larger than the Tyria core maps with much more to do.

The living story episodes averaged about the same length as the higher level personal story arcs. You actually got more out of the LS episodes as there were achievements to test out your skills.

Not much details about the raids have been announced other than the blog post and you’re already placing a verdict on it? The same can be said about the rest of the expansion as Anet has in the past left out a lot of details about their upcoming releases to allow players to find out for themselves.

TJgalon.5012

There are also Pvp and WvW stuff coming too, but it freeish to not split the base up more, which is nice of Anet, but I consider it part of HoT anyways since it releases the same time.
4 new Maguuma maps, while we do not know the fullness of the maps, from what I played of it in the beta, they are a bit rich in things to do, and seeing how not everything in the beta yet, I can’t wait to see the full version of just the 1 map I played so far. if the other 3 come off as well, it going to be interesting, not to mention what the future may bring like it did for core version.

(edited by TJgalon.5012)

Posted by: Nimiar.3509

Nimiar.3509

HoT should have came with a free character slot for veteran players without needing to prepurchase to get it.

Not being contrary, genuinely curious. I haven’t bought an expansion for an MMO since Cataclysm for WoW.

Yes. Usually if there is a new class to play, there is at least one new slot. (WoW for instance has done this with each expansion that had a new class – Wrath, Pandaria, and now the upcoming Legion.)

I do think it is kind of crappy to require pre-order to get the slot. I truly feel that buying any game should allow you to play every class without having to buy extra slots. The base game doesn’t even have enough for that, unfortunately, which makes it even more of a problem that the expansion doesn’t add a slot. (Let alone wanting to see the different variations on storyline in class/race/origin combos.) =(

As a side note/rant, I have been extremely turned off of pre-ordering games after a few bad experiences, so I am disappointed that there is so much push for it nowadays. /twocents

TJgalon.5012

To be fair, you can play every class in the game without buying a new slot.

Ticky.5831

Yes. Usually if there is a new class to play, there is at least one new slot. (WoW for instance has done this with each expansion that had a new class – Wrath, Pandaria, and now the upcoming Legion.)

I do think it is kind of crappy to require pre-order to get the slot. I truly feel that buying any game should allow you to play every class without having to buy extra slots. The base game doesn’t even have enough for that, unfortunately, which makes it even more of a problem that the expansion doesn’t add a slot. (Let alone wanting to see the different variations on storyline in class/race/origin combos.) =(

As a side note/rant, I have been extremely turned off of pre-ordering games after a few bad experiences, so I am disappointed that there is so much push for it nowadays. /twocents

Hmm, well I don’t recall Wrath giving a free character slot, but I simply may not be remembering correctly.

One could argue that the currently existing loyalty rewards(login rewards) can provide enough gold for a slot in about 4 months though(800 gems is just under 200 gold right now) buy taking Laurels as the loyalty chest and using them to buy heavy crafting bags; giving us about 2 slots value of gold.

Posted by: Kityn.8247

Kityn.8247

At this point, after addressing the refund issue, and giving a character slot to veterans for pre-purchase, anyone who is still complaining about the base game getting packaged in for free are just being greedy.

Price-per-content is a different story, and maybe my standards are low for content time, but 15 hours or so of fresh content(story, progression unlocks, 1st wing raid completion) would be worth $50 for me. Honestly I feel i got my money’s worth out of the core game in the first 2 weeks, and frankly I find the concept of a lower price tag devaluing someones personal past experience with the game to be absolutely baffling.

That is just it. Guild Wars 2 was NOT suppose to be like other MMOs. Anet has stated that time and time again. Also their track record for treating their vet players very well has been excellent up until now.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

That is just it. Guild Wars 2 was NOT suppose to be like other MMOs. Anet has stated that time and time again. Also their track record for treating their vet players very well has been excellent up until now.

You can make that same argument for ANYTHING.

Do other MMOs hand out tactical nuclear weapons with their expansions?

That is just it. Guild Wars 2 was NOT suppose to be like other MMOs. Anet has stated that time and time again. I want my apocalyptic weapon!!!!!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

One of the big differences is whether or not the game has a subscription or is like Guild Wars 2, buy to play and cash shop. The subscription players who pay 15$ a month get “freebies” that a buy to play game can’t afford to give away. Economically speaking, it’s like they prepay for items that the game then gives them.

ANet lost a good deal of money by giving away the veteran char slots. (They still should have done it since they gained a lot of ill will by pricing the basic expansion so that people get charged twice, once for the expansion and once for the char slot. They should have either priced to include the char slot or written the cost off as a “good will cost”).

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Ticky.5831

A) They still use other MMOs standards as a platform to deviate from.

B)Which is why we don’t especially need favorable treatment. We already got 2 character slots… worth of value from Laurels(as well as FAAAR more during the time they were awarded for daily achievements).

Like I said before, someone else getting a better deal than you =/= you getting screwed over. It just means they got a good deal.

(edited by Ticky.5831)

Posted by: Chairman Wang.5930

Chairman Wang.5930

All these people who scream at what a good value HoT is needs to look at the GWEN expansion. That wasn’t even a full expansion, both Fac and NF were both “full priced” expansions that did a heck of a lot more. The list of features that you guys keep trying to justify is worth the price is objectively lacking. You need only to look at Anet’s past efforts in expansions to realize that. Given that GW2 has a cash shop, all the minor addons and overhauls Anet made are already justified. Furthermore, it makes little sense and is frankly dangerous to absolve a company of putting out a lacking expansions just because they maintained and updated the original game.

Also, its really sad that people count guild halls as a justification as well. Using the very feature the game’s namesake is based on in an addon is a slap on the face. GW2 should have shipped with full guild functionality.

I bought the game because I still have some hope Anet can make it worthwhile. However its pretty stupid for anyone to push that HoT, at current face value, is “value”.

(edited by Chairman Wang.5930)

Ayrilana.1396

All these people who scream at what a good value HoT is needs to look at the GWEN. That wasn’t even a full expansion, both Fac and NF were both “full priced” expansions that did a heck of a lot more. The list of features that you guys keep trying to justify is worth the price is objectively lacking. You need only to look at Anet’s past efforts in expansions to realize that. Given that GW2 has a cash shop, all the minor addons and overhauls Anet made are already justified. Furthermore, it makes little sense and is frankly dangerous to absolve a company of putting out a lacking expansions just because they maintained and updated the original game.

Also, its really sad that people count guild halls as a justification as well. Using the very feature the game’s namesake is based on in an addon is a slap on the face. GW2 should have shipped with full guild functionality.

I bought the game because I still have some hope Anet can make it worthwhile. However its pretty stupid for anyone to push that HoT, at current face value, is “value”.

What’s funny is that some people on here have used EotN as an example of a how Anet should do the expansion. They felt that the pricing was fair too.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

So, now stand-alone games are what we compare expansions to? I think that’s going a bit far afield. Still, some need more to argue with.

Chairman Wang.5930

So, now stand-alone games are what we compare expansions to? I think that’s going a bit far afield. Still, some need more to argue with.

Are you kidding me? How much anti-consumer can you get. It should be even more telling how well done GW expansions were that they could have (not that you should…) been played by themselves. HoT is priced at about the same price as well. You should be wondering why Anet isn’t delivering the scope of one of GW1’s campaigns rather than trying to block a comparison. You want to get anal about definitions, compare it to EotN and HoT is still found lacking. It goes without saying that a sane and reasonable person can see that the later 2 campaigns were an “expansion” to the original game. If two game additions are charging a similar price, it is logical and reasonable for the consumer to compare them. Especially if the same company made both.

All these people who scream at what a good value HoT is needs to look at the GWEN. That wasn’t even a full expansion, both Fac and NF were both “full priced” expansions that did a heck of a lot more. The list of features that you guys keep trying to justify is worth the price is objectively lacking. You need only to look at Anet’s past efforts in expansions to realize that. Given that GW2 has a cash shop, all the minor addons and overhauls Anet made are already justified. Furthermore, it makes little sense and is frankly dangerous to absolve a company of putting out a lacking expansions just because they maintained and updated the original game.

What’s funny is that some people on here have used EotN as an example of a how Anet should do the expansion. They felt that the pricing was fair too.

Lets not also forget the beyond content that Anet did with it. It was further down the line, but unlike some of the silly temp content, it was something everyone could enjoy on their own time when they reached it.

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Hello,

Just my own thoughts and feedback; HoT expansion price is too high. For me who mostly prefer play solo and adventure around Tyria HoT is not bringing much areas to explore compared to original game. In Guild Wars, expansions offered vast new lands to explore and adventure in and thus I had no doubt to purchase the product. Once Guild Wars 2 was announced I bought it as soon as it was avaliable and exploring and adventuring across so many lands was simply amazing. The best experience I ever had in mmo’s hands down.

Now I really have doubts about HoT. There seem to be too few areas and I wouldnt have big problem with fewer area expansion if price was right. I love Arena Net and I love Guild Wars and its world and community but I just cannot pay 45 euros for HoT. HoT brings a lot of new exciting features and specs but I have been paying my Warrior since day one and its the only character I have and love, so for me expansion does not really bring much, at least not as much as I got from Factions, Nightfall or EotN.

Thank you.

I played beta in Verdant Brink. Lemme tell you, it definitely surprised me. While in true sense smaller then a normal map (say lion arch), or a complete area (maguuma Jungle), the amount of 3D stuff to explore on a relative small map is extreme. Add on that, that this is the first map (basically way more then silverwastes and dry top), that has so much exploration in such a 3d way. And it’s certainly Expansion worth. And verdan brink is only ONE of the maps.

Everything is also more challenging (like getting to the top, jumping, (surviving the elite mobs there) etc. So it will take more time, and perhaps also make you enjoy it longer. Masteries are something not in game yet. Farming the gliding, then making it even better is amazing. But even more amazing, is using Gliding itself. What an experience (on the first small beta map it was ok), but now on the (almost?) complete verdant brink map, wow wow wow wow wow. Just this feature alone. Exploration a la carte.

You might not care for the specialization and new profession (revenant), but it’s huge. Gw1 just had 2 prof (much simpler to make then here) per expansion, now you get 1 prof + it’s own spec (right of the bat) + 8 specializations. And while not all are similar cool, they give a completely new feel/option to your existing profession. It certainly made playing my thief, Ele, Guardian, Even revenant (played first beta without herald and now with herald) a lot less boring, so much more fun! Exploring new traits = a whole exploration in itself imo.

Is it perhaps smaller then usual expansion? Yes. But it got so much feature (that are usually not that much supplied) in the expansion.
Is it expensive perhaps? Yes. But then you don’t pay a sub, and we played ‘free’ (after buying it) for 3 years. Hell even the intermediate content was all free! What’s paying a little more then, to continue that free to play thing? Not much.
Might you not like WHAT they offer in this expansion? Absolutely. But hey then the fault is more on your side for having no interest in expansion. Anet dit a hard job, and gave something that at least has something going for it, for a lot of people that tested beta. That you don’t like it, is not anet fault.
Is perceived price and content an issue here? Yes. For me the amount of content is amazing. But then I played for 3 years, 9000 hours (some afk ofc), and have collector’s edition. I play all game modes, so every single addition is new content for me. You might be different (say only play wvw). That might tip the balance for you in favor of finding HoT to small. But that’s more due to your own preferences then anything.

Revenant and specializations (and trait overhaul that we got for free) is content that is usefull everywhere. So everyone will enjoy it. While it may not be good enough as a whole expect, add your added maps to it (new wvw map, stronghold, Verdant brink, etc), and I think you got a nice package!

Basically the question if how much is this content in your true desire. If a lot, buy it (definitely worth 50$), If less so, wait for discount buy then. If almost nothing to desire, wait for (not garanteed) it to become free.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

(edited by Phoebe Ascension.8437)

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

so let me get this straight:

- you can’t compare it to WoW expansions, because WoW is P2P
- you can’t compare it to GW1 because those were standalone games.
- you can compare it to EOTN because that was an add on (?)
- you can’t compare it to Rift, because “nobody cares about Rift or plays it”

while at the same time saying “what game kept the same population for 3 years, population slump is normal!”

I played beta in Verdant Brink. Lemme tell you, it definitely surprised me. While in true sense smaller then a normal map (say lion arch)

okay if those 4 maps are even smaller than Lion’s Arch, that’s really worrying to me.

Ticky.5831

Smaller maps by volume, but with more surface area.

Chairman Wang.5930

while at the same time saying “what game kept the same population for 3 years, population slump is normal!”

This guy gets it. Some of the people here are just irrational. If you want to buy the game, I don’t think anyone is judging, just don’t argue that its worth the asking price based on what we know about it. If we are jousting with words, GW1 considers EotN to be an expansion and its utterly impossible to claim that HoT has more content than that. (Again all based on what we know so far)

cut this out because I didn’t want to inflate post size

For some reason it won’t show post name, this is a reply to Phoebe Ascension

Those professions from GW1 are by far more intricate. Lets be honest, traits/specs don’t make up for the fact that in GW1 handed you a ton of choices by skills. You had depth to the build system without having to be locked to an armor set by stats. (too much, yeah yeah I know insigs :P) The revenant is not a huge deal but it is at least good to have another profession. Furthermore, the mere addition of an extra elite spec in no way compares to how many additional skills were added in the GW1 expansions, including EotN with their PvE skills. (lets not forget that in 2, pve skills were trash while in EotN they were fun added bonus to play around with)

Also you are making the mistake of excusing the expansion for content that was added to the core of GW2. I hope I don’t need to repeat myself on how silly that sounds. You are buying the expansion, not giving Anet a donation for a job well done (if it even is that…). Others have the right to question the issue. The concept of Guild Wars has always been sub free. I probably would even be here if it was a sub so just because they didn’t require a sub does not mean Anet gets a pass on lack of content. The business model was defined clearly at the start. An expansion of equal price to the base game ideally should have equal content. This is not only reasonable to assume based on logic but historically the case given GW1. Even if you consider everything in HoT 100% (and honestly I can’t think of something I dislike to the point where I would discount it in value) it is lacking. You mention how a player should not devalue content they dislike. The reverse is also true. A player should also not put on a pedestal content they like. You really need to take a step back and look at it objectively.

I just want to highlight this again:
Anet have a gem store and a stream of revenue. Its probably not Riot Games level of profitability but the added content to the game is it is comes from that. HoT should be judged on its own, not based on some notion that we the player “owes” Anet for patching the game or making it sub free. If GW2 is your passion and you want it, by all means go for it. Anet still has me on good will they built up from GW1 but we should all be able to take a step back and look at it for what it is.

eisberg.2379

This guy gets it. Some of the people here are just irrational. If you want to buy the game, I don’t think anyone is judging, just don’t argue that its worth the asking price based on what we know about it. If we are jousting with words, GW1 considers EotN to be an expansion and its utterly impossible to claim that HoT has more content than that. (Again all based on what we know so far)

cut this out because I didn’t want to inflate post size

For some reason it won’t show post name, this is a reply to Phoebe Ascension

Those professions from GW1 are by far more intricate. Lets be honest, traits/specs don’t make up for the fact that in GW1 handed you a ton of choices by skills. You had depth to the build system without having to be locked to an armor set by stats. (too much, yeah yeah I know insigs :P) The revenant is not a huge deal but it is at least good to have another profession. Furthermore, the mere addition of an extra elite spec in no way compares to how many additional skills were added in the GW1 expansions, including EotN with their PvE skills. (lets not forget that in 2, pve skills were trash while in EotN they were fun added bonus to play around with)

Also you are making the mistake of excusing the expansion for content that was added to the core of GW2. I hope I don’t need to repeat myself on how silly that sounds. You are buying the expansion, not giving Anet a donation for a job well done (if it even is that…). Others have the right to question the issue. The concept of Guild Wars has always been sub free. I probably would even be here if it was a sub so just because they didn’t require a sub does not mean Anet gets a pass on lack of content. The business model was defined clearly at the start. An expansion of equal price to the base game ideally should have equal content. This is not only reasonable to assume based on logic but historically the case given GW1. Even if you consider everything in HoT 100% (and honestly I can’t think of something I dislike to the point where I would discount it in value) it is lacking. You mention how a player should not devalue content they dislike. The reverse is also true. A player should also not put on a pedestal content they like. You really need to take a step back and look at it objectively.

Anet have a gem store and a stream of revenue. Its probably not Riot Games level of profitability but the added content to the game is it is comes from that. HoT should be judged on its own, not based on some notion that we the player “owes” Anet for patching the game or making it sub free. If GW2 is your passion and you want it, by all means go for it. Anet still has me on good will they built up from GW1 but we should all be able to take a step back and look at it for what it is.

You cannot compare GW1’s games and the 1 expansion to GW2 because those games were not even MMOs to begin with, they were never even marketed as an MMO. GW1 was more like the Diablo series but with a graphical lobby, and nobody ever considers Diablo series as an MMO.

Also it is far from lacking in content, it is jammed packed with content, perhaps if you actually played the beta you might know this. Plus more content is going to be added to HoT over time.

Chairman Wang.5930

(snipped due to post size)

You cannot compare GW1’s games and the 1 expansion to GW2 because those games were not even MMOs to begin with, they were never even marketed as an MMO. GW1 was more like the Diablo series but with a graphical lobby, and nobody ever considers Diablo series as an MMO.

Also it is far from lacking in content, it is jammed packed with content, perhaps if you actually played the beta you might know this. Plus more content is going to be added to HoT over time.

I played the beta… Its not “jammed” pack with content. While you try to call others out, try actually reading what I wrote. Also the potential for future content is worth less than content on hand. You can assign value to it but if we compare that to what we currently know, its not as valuable. That does not excuse HoT since these types of game naturally adds content over time.

GW1 is an MMO. Anet choose to try to differentiate its features but its an MMO. Its massively online multiplayer. Steam has it listed as an MMO (I think this is the only third party retailer left?) and CORPG redirects to MMORPG on Wikipedia. Give me actual objective proof that GW1 was not an MMO rather than your own interpretations and I’ll believe you.

Edit: Actually you’re just plain wrong, see the official GW1 wiki http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars

It defines it to be a CORPG which we always have shown to be an MMORPG. GW compares itself to other MMOs, it won MMO game of the year (yes “ironically” since its not a pure “mmo” but it shows that it is still in that category") Diablo was never considered an MMO but GW1 sure as hell was. Either by popular consent or definition shenanigans.

eisberg.2379

I played the beta… Its not “jammed” pack with content. While you try to call others out, try actually reading what I wrote. Also the potential for future content is worth less than content on hand. You can assign value to it but if we compare that to what we currently know, its not as valuable. That does not excuse HoT since these types of game naturally adds content over time.

GW1 is an MMO. Anet choose to try to differentiate its features but its an MMO. Its massively online multiplayer. Steam has it listed as an MMO (I think this is the only third party retailer left?) and CORPG redirects to MMORPG on Wikipedia. Give me actual objective proof that GW1 was not an MMO rather than your own interpretations and I’ll believe you.

Edit: Actually you’re just plain wrong, see the official GW1 wiki http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars

It defines it to be a CORPG which we always have shown to be an MMORPG. GW compares itself to other MMOs, it won MMO game of the year (yes “ironically” since its not a pure “mmo” but it shows that it is still in that category") Diablo was never considered an MMO but GW1 sure as hell was. Either by popular consent or definition shenanigans.

Future content added to HoT after release is very much valuable, it is part of the reason to buying HoT as well.

Not going to dig deep into searches looking for what the developers themselves saying that GW1 was not an MMO, Guild Wars 2 takes up the vast majority of the search results. But yes the developers themselves stated it was not an MMO.

MMOs are played in a persistent worlds, and GW1 definitely did not have persistent worlds. The towns/outposts were just a new fancy way of doing lobbies. GW1 had far more in common with Diablo series than it did with MMOs. Using your definition of MMOs, you might as well as call any game that has a lobby system as an MMO.

Chairman Wang.5930

Future content added to HoT after release is very much valuable, it is part of the reason to buying HoT as well.

Not going to dig deep into searches looking for what the developers themselves saying that GW1 was not an MMO, Guild Wars 2 takes up the vast majority of the search results. But yes the developers themselves stated it was not an MMO.

MMOs are played in a persistent worlds, and GW1 definitely did not have persistent worlds. The towns/outposts were just a new fancy way of doing lobbies. GW1 had far more in common with Diablo series than it did with MMOs. Using your definition of MMOs, you might as well as call any game that has a lobby system as an MMO.

Future content is a reason to buy any sort of MMO. These types of games are known to add post release content. Again I didn’t say its not worth something but it sure as heck isn’t worth the same as what you get on release day.

I didn’t realize we get to make up our own assumptions and assume it to be right. Prove to me the developers stated that GW1 is not an MMO. You seem to be making quite the claim without anything to back it up. If I said the developers said the sky was green, would you take my word for it? Furthermore its ineffective and lazy when you say you don’t go too “deep” to back up what you are saying. If you are trying to establish a fact, you better back it up. GW1 had a loose persistent world. I really wonder if you are speaking out of your behind or if you actually played the original game based on these strange claims. Heck even GW2’s own wiki backs it up.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Open_world
Notice the following line: “employs persistent environments more extensively than Guild Wars”

Sure there is more persistence, but that wording proves that GW1 had it too.

I am not making my own definition of MMO. I am using what the industry regards as an MMO. If I have to spoonfeed you the Wikipedia and Steam links I will. All of my evidence shows that by definition a CORPG = MMORPG. Furthermore by popularity, GW1 is regarded to be slotted into the MMO genre. I’m open to a debate on why GW1 isn’t an MMO. It certainty isn’t a conventional one. You’re going to need some proof though otherwise its just an opinion.

eisberg.2379

Future content is a reason to buy any sort of MMO. These types of games are known to add post release content. Again I didn’t say its not worth something but it sure as heck isn’t worth the same as what you get on release day.

I didn’t realize we get to make up our own assumptions and assume it to be right. Prove to me the developers stated that GW1 is not an MMO. You seem to be making quite the claim without anything to back it up. If I said the developers said the sky was green, would you take my word for it? Furthermore its ineffective and lazy when you say you don’t go too “deep” to back up what you are saying. If you are trying to establish a fact, you better back it up. GW1 had a loose persistent world. I really wonder if you are speaking out of your behind or if you actually played the original game based on these strange claims. Heck even GW2’s own wiki backs it up.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Open_world
Notice the following line: “employs persistent environments more extensively than Guild Wars”

Sure there is more persistence, but that wording proves that GW1 had it too.

I am not making my own definition of MMO. I am using what the industry regards as an MMO. If I have to spoonfeed you the Wikipedia and Steam links I will. All of my evidence shows that by definition a CORPG = MMORPG. Furthermore by popularity, GW1 is regarded to be slotted into the MMO genre. I’m open to a debate on why GW1 isn’t an MMO. It certainty isn’t a conventional one. You’re going to need some proof though otherwise its just an opinion.

GW1 has zero persistence world. The towns/outposts do not count at all, again those were just more fancy lobbies. Once you left those lobbies, you were in an instanced world that was only for you and your party and nobody else. Anybody who has actually played GW1 can tell you this. Also in the years I have played GW1, rarely did I see someone refer to the game as an MMO, in fact more often then not when someone did mention it as an MMO on the town/outpost chats there would be a ton of people to correct them and tell them it is not an MMO.

Also a long time ago Guild wars 1 website had a faq that had this answer to the question if Guild Wars 1 was an MMO.

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game).

Then the rest of the answer would go into more detail of the key differences between an MMO and CORPG. They have since deleted the whole FAQ altogether, but you can find many places referencing it on the net.

Also, the quote you used from the Wiki doesn’t exist.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Pretty sure the Wiki states that Guild Wars is a CORPG, rather than an MMORPG.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars

Guild Wars is a CORPG, or Competitive/Cooperative Online Role Playing Game developed for Windows by ArenaNet and published by NCsoft. The first campaign of Guild Wars, Guild Wars Prophecies was released on April 28, 2005. The different genre was chosen (as opposed to the “Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) RPG”) due to the perceived differences between the game and other MMOs

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

sorry bro, gw2 no longer has persistent worlds, megaserver destroys and creates worlds as needed. Its not different than joining a dungeon instance with more people.

oh yeah, and future content cannot be quanitified or given a value, since no one knows what it is, or how much there will be. Whether future content makes it worth buying will be decided once that content comes out.

Its like if i sell you a graphic novel for 50 dollars, and tell you you are entitled to all the comics after that, that i make until the next graphic novel, but i dont tell you how many comics i plan to make or the size of those comics.
Its pretty hard for you to assign a value to that.

they have commited to nothing other than releasing the 3 parts of the raid.

(edited by phys.7689)

Ayrilana.1396

sorry bro, gw2 no longer has persistent worlds, megaserver destroys and creates worlds as needed. Its not different than joining a dungeon instance with more people.

oh yeah, and future content cannot be quanitified or given a value, since no one knows what it is, or how much there will be. Whether future content makes it worth buying will be decided once that content comes out.

Its like if i sell you a graphic novel for 50 dollars, and tell you you are entitled to all the comics after that, that i make until the next graphic novel, but i dont tell you how many comics i plan to make or the size of those comics.
Its pretty hard for you to assign a value to that.

they have commited to nothing other than releasing the 3 parts of the raid.

You still can. Businesses do it all the time. Businesses often deal with the unknown.

Posted by: BossikCZE.2958

BossikCZE.2958

To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.

Thats hihgly not fair, for those who owns the core game already…

Ayrilana.1396

To clarify: $50 is the price of the expansion. We included the core game as a free bonus to make it easier for new players to get into it.

Thats hihgly not fair, for those who owns the core game already…

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/new-business-model-equality/page/2#post5436673