Questions about Pricing and Payment [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: DracosBlackwing.3174

DracosBlackwing.3174

Hopefully they won’t price this at nearly the same price as the original game, seeing as it’s an expansion, not another full game. I paid $60 for the original; I’d hope an expansion of that would cost half or less than that.

The game grew boring and uninteresting once I had explored the majority of the main world; just an equipment grind and stupid PvP for bragging rights, which I’ve never enjoyed, but that I know most people live for in the North American servers. I’m hoping for more content I can play with… or without others, and more interesting, fun content that isn’t dependent on if other people I can play with are online or the quality of my gear.

Posted by: Duncanmix.5238

Duncanmix.5238

My gut feeling telling me 30-50 euros, which is fine price in my opinion. However I kind of wish to see how much of the map we gonna unlock.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

According to Massively, O’Brien stated that:’It’s a boxed expansion pack’. This seems to suggest that a gem purchase would be less likely.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2015/01/25/pax-south-2015-o-brien-and-johanson-on-guild-wars-2-s-heart-of/

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Posted by: Stormbolt.7293

Stormbolt.7293

Making it the same price as the base game would be absurd. I can see it being $20-$30

Posted by: the krytan assassin.9235

the krytan assassin.9235

Tbh you can’t make an estimate yet on the price. However they DID anounce some cool stuff (2nd prof, new prof., new area’s, new wvw and pvp zone,ability points etc). In the end it’s still all vague, there’s no official report about the specific amount of new area’s, wether we are gonna get new dungeons? are we gonna get raids? and how much is the guild hall gonna offer to us?

And about the cost, i think that GW2 is one of the cheapest games on the market right now, simply because of the amount of playtime for the average player, so even when they price it @ 50 euros it’s still gonna be a pretty good deal compared to monthly subscription or buy to play shooters etc.

For myself i’d love the expension to cost 40-50 euros. Anet is working in a small crew and having such economic boost could attract more game designers etc to the game. It is clearly that Anet has some troubles with restoring some broken combat mechanics, balancing the classes etc. I don’t care about the price we need to pay, as long as they will focus on improving the game all the time, atleast it’s alot better then quitting the game because the lack of good content/broken game mechanics and going to other more expensive (subscription fee) games which have alot less potential then gw2

DDD|elementalist| Piken commander|RaW|

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I suspect you will see a price point of $39.99, which is pretty much the market rate for MMO expansions by my experience.

Posted by: adormtil.1605

adormtil.1605

I wonder if there will be new dungeons because I hate pvp and WVW and after a week the expansion is wortless for as I hate farming.

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

As a WVW/PVP-only player, I have to say i’ve been pretty kitten disappointed by the scarcity of WVW/PVP content, and even of the small amount of content that was added, most of it I didn’t care about anyway.

The other thing is that there are plenty of things in the base game that are still crappy – loads of traits, skills and utilities that have been universally criticised for a long time.

I’d like to see every existing trait/skill/utility brought up to an acceptable level before I hand over more $$ for an expansion which will have it’s own share of problems… that will another 2+ years to (partially, or if at all) address.

$20 seems like the sweet spot for the expac. I’d rather pay more and get a quality product that is properly maintained instead of shoving it out the door and then forgetting about everything but churning out more gem-store content.

downed state is bad for PVP

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)

Posted by: Jaysonhugus.5370

Jaysonhugus.5370

honestly this is absolute garbage, the game has pretty much been done since its 3rd month Anet does little to nothing to keep players other than really dumb cosmetics which work on the female crowd. If this expac isnt free then Anet you are doing it all wrong and you are going to be the next biggest joke in mmo history

Posted by: Jaysonhugus.5370

Jaysonhugus.5370

you already have a micro transaction system in place that works and you wanna charge for an expansion pack thats 2 years 2 late. kitten off no longer supporting this company

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

God people are so cheap. -_- It certainly isn’t going to be $20 people.

It better be less based on the anemic content.

No, it’s obviously going to be more. And I don’t get why you think it’s “anemic” content. New zones, new class, new specializations, challenging group content (still unknown though), revamp of WvW and a new map, new PvP mode, Guild Halls. These are all expansion type content.

Have people not bought expansions for other games before? They typically cost the same as a normal game.

Stop being so kitten cheap people. There is no sub here.

Guild Wars: Eye of the North expansion:
The expansion introduces:

41 new armor sets, including rare, stand-alone pieces

100 new profession-specific skills (10 per profession, none of which are elite)

50 new PvE only skills including 3 elite skills

10 new heroes

18 Dungeons

124 new quests

The Hall of Monuments, a place which allows you to obtain unique titles, companions, weapons, armor, and miniatures in Guild Wars 2 based on your achievements in the original Guild Wars. The Hall of Monuments does not support the transfer of characters or gold.

Actions have more consequences. For example, if you lose NPCs that help you, you can choose to continue without them (and their help) instead of being forced to try again (although you may start over with a clean slate by going back to town). Similarly, if you rescue NPCs, they may join you and help you.

More than the previous campaigns, Eye of the North is full of easter eggs and “hidden” quests, which are not immediately accessible.

4 new regions

Charr Homelands
The green homeland of the Charr, north of Ascalon and east to the Far Shiverpeaks.

Depths of Tyria
An immense interconnected underground complex of natural caves and excavated areas underneath Tyria.

Far Shiverpeaks
A desolate mountain range to the north of the Shiverpeak Mountains we know. It is home to the Norn and the Ebon Vanguard.

Tarnished Coast
An area of high magical energy, and home to the Asura.

Based on what we know so far, this expansion is nowhere near as extensive as an expansion released by ArenaNet a decade ago. This is cause for some skepticism. I don’t know the final specs for this new expansion because they haven’t told any of us that info, but what they have told us is NOT a lot of content.

Even if they don’t add any more content, if this expansion came out for $10-20 I’d say that’s fair. If they ask $30-40 for just what we know, I won’t be buying it.

(edited by BilboBaggins.5620)

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

I don’t really have a dealbreaker price point. Obviously it’s going to have to be relatively reasonable – they aren’t going to set the price so high no one is going to pay it, so I can’t imagine it’ll be anything crazy.

I’m pretty careful with my finances in general and my gaming budget in particular. As a result, I have enough margin that it’s not a big deal to splurge a bit when there’s a product I’m really excited for.

I’m excited for this expansion, so I’ll pay what it costs.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

well.. next payment i plan to make to a-net is 100 euros…means expansion and whatever is left for gem cards for gem store shenanigans…cause now i can justify it again to myself to invest more into the game and there seems to be no game coming out in the next time that really interrests me anyways (talkin bout a shooter or rpg or stuff like that)

Posted by: the krytan assassin.9235

the krytan assassin.9235

well they haven’t announced anything yet xcept for 2nd prof atleast 3 maps and a new profession. When they add full maguuma on a 3 lvl basis it’s gonna be huge and it would be definitely possible to add numerous dungeons/raids. only if anet would give us some awnsers instead of kittening of the community…..

DDD|elementalist| Piken commander|RaW|

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

I bought a box copy of Gw2 online a while after release for roughly $52 AUD. Not sure of original prices at launch, obviously more expensive though.

I’m guessing this expansion pack will have a typical STANDARD expansion cost ranging from $40-$60 AUD.

That or you can compare expansion costs from other MMO’s for an idea?

Posted by: JLHiggs.6258

JLHiggs.6258

I’m hoping the expansion is going to be the same price as the full game at launch. That’s an indication they are confident in the amount of content being delivered. As far as folks who say the amount of content is anemic, I would like to know how you saw the size/scope of masteries, specializations, and the new Maguuma Jungle zones.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Don’t know enough about what the expansion pack will add or change to really put a price tag on it.

I’m tight with my money. I don’t have much left over after bills so I have to feel like the money is well spent.

Based on hype alone and what we’ve heard, I can give a range: $20-$30. Doesn’t seem enough to warrant the same cost as the base game.

However, if the release date is anywhere near October (like if it’s August or later), I may hold off until my birthday. I don’t have an issue with letting others play guinea pig for any glitches that come up. Nor do I need to be the first at anything. Either that or call it early birthday if my brother and his friends also get it at release. Just so I can play with them.

Posted by: AivenPrimus.9184

AivenPrimus.9184

Seems like a lot of people have no sense of value…
Ready to pay 30EUR and more for a EXPANSION that ’’would’’ cost as much as a base game…?

If I remember correctly I havent seen a single game that would ask as a maximum, over 20Eur (or otherwise), for a expansion that adds few features…

Then you might as well make a new game…and name it ‘’Revenant Wars 3’’

It shouldn’t be more than 20EUR… at best… it will cost 10EUR

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Ready to pay 30EUR and more for a EXPANSION that ’’would’’ cost as much as a base game…?

If I remember correctly I havent seen a single game that would ask as a maximum, over 20Eur (or otherwise), for a expansion that adds few features…

Sadly, some companies are able to get away with charging the same amount as the base game for the expansion packs, without having equal amounts of content.

EA comes to mind.

So I would not put it out of the realm of possibility of Heart of Thorns costing the same as the base game.

Posted by: Youou.4271

Youou.4271

If it’s above 20$ then I guess it’s not worth it

Posted by: Oldyoung.6109

Oldyoung.6109

$30 would irritate me to no end but I’d pay it; more than that would make me angry

less than that I pretty much bought it already.

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

On the contrary – based on the amount of time I will spend playing and the amount of enjoyment I will get from it, Guild Wars products are a very good value for my entertainment dollars.

To me it’s less relevant to compare it to the cost of the base game (which I already paid for, so its price does not directly affect the current transaction) than to compare it to other ways I could spend that part of my entertainment budget (which is the choice I actually have now versus the choice I had in 2012.) Based on entertainment value, the expansion comes out as a worthwhile way to spend my discretionary money even at a somewhat higher price point.

Posted by: Alerno.1425

Alerno.1425

I think fair price would be between 15 and 30 Euros, but having said that I will pay what it will cost anyway. Sorry about that.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

$30 would be fair for me.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

$100,000,000,000.00

Attachments:

Posted by: Lewis Burnell.2493

Lewis Burnell.2493

I’d pay £60.00, without a doubt. Guild Wars 2 has given me two years of entertainment.

Posted by: urfrid.5971

urfrid.5971

30 euro nothing more

Posted by: Baldovin.1392

Baldovin.1392

$100,000,000,000.00

LOLed so hard, especially the picture =)

Posted by: pandorasbox.6340

pandorasbox.6340

I am not good at math sadly, so I do not know the USD to EURO equation. As far as I know, the limited boxed edition was offered at my local GameStop for $100 USD. I saw the price tag.

Pretty sure it was the same in $ Prices in most of Europe (if not all) include taxes, so 150€ is exactly what I had to pay. If I’m not mistaken, prices in the US never include taxes, so you’d have to add VAT to those 150$.

150€ is approx. 165$.

I just hope HoT won’t cost more than 50€ … otherwise I’d really have to consider buying it at release ._.

Sadly some stores here in my state have been known to sell things for less then the required amount. Magic cards for example have shown up at local stores for $1.00 a pack. GameStop does not do this as far as I know. I did not pre order the game, so you may be 100% right. I am just saying the price I saw was $100. It was back when I was thinking about joining. Sometime after launch in 2012. September or October 2012. It comes down to the store level. GameStop may have not given proper pricing, or your store may have not. I have no idea.

Again my experience with unequal pricing, but some games cost more in Euros then in Dollars. Steam is a excellent example. Games can cost 60 euros in Sweden, and cost $60 here. Some games cost 60 euros in Sweden, and only $40 here. Sometimes they cost 40 euros in Sweden, and it cost $60 here.

Posted by: pandorasbox.6340

pandorasbox.6340

$100,000,000,000.00

Love that movie!

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Up to $60, if its over that amount, I would wait until it goes on sale!

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

We’ll be able to buy it from straight the Gem shop, right? If I don’t have the immediate funds, I’ll earn it the old fashioned way.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Diablo 3 expansion was about the same price as a full game. And got you a lot less than this expansion of GW2 will give me.

Posted by: yanipheonu.5798

yanipheonu.5798

Hmmmm…

Wow’s latest expansion is $50 US, so that seems to be the maximum you could get away with, though I doubt it will reach that level.

Honestly, anything between $30 and $50 seems realistic, bearing in mind that this will be a full retail release alongside the usual download. The price of retail alone would make a price of $20 or less pretty questionable from the business perspective.

I’d bet on 35 – 40 dollars.

Posted by: Pal.4603

Pal.4603

I think that the player base should recognize Anet for their work and value them for their efforts to deliver quality content. Especially since they don’t try to milk the player since launch. Actually their business model is quite interesting, always fascinated me.
That said, if it costs 40-50 $ I will pay it to get the expansion. A little burn, but i can do it. But reasonably here’s how I think it should go :
If we’re talking yearly expansions then the right price shouldn’t surpass that of other mmo’s which would be : 15-25 $
If with this expansion they’re planning on launching a new vector for the 2-3 years to come with lots of living world content (season 3) then maybe 35 or 40 $ is acceptable.

Posted by: Pal.4603

Pal.4603

China will probably have cheap expansion, so Ill buy from them…

lol

yanipheonu.5798

Copied and elaborated from another thread because it bears repeating.

Wow’s latest expansion is $50 US, so that seems to be the maximum you could get away with, though I doubt it will reach that level.

Honestly, anything between $30 and $50 seems realistic, bearing in mind that this will be a full retail release alongside the usual download. The price of retail alone would make a price of $20 or less pretty questionable from the business perspective.

Bear in mind that Guild Wars’ value proprotion has always been a buy-to-play model as well, you aren’t paying for subscription ,and aside from gem store purchases, development costs come from somewhere.

I’d bet on 35 – 40 dollars.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

I’m guessing 40 bucks/euros (which, incidentally, is at this time almost equal with the rotten EUR rate).

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Templar.3418

Templar.3418

I honestly hope we DO need to pay for it. Expansions are loads of work generally and I don’t expect or want to get it for free.

Plus it makes the game seem really cheap if they release expansions etc for free.

We want something quality don’t we?

Also come on. $60 is Fook all. You’d probably spend that on fast food or some crap anyway.

(edited by Templar.3418)

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Well they could easily price it at $20, sell it only ingame and via the webpage and probably get tons more direct profits than if it goes out to retail stores at $40 or something and distributors/publishers/manufacturers/everyone want their little share of the cost.

Tom Gore.4035

I honestly hope we DO need to pay for it. Expansions are loads of work generally and I don’t expect or want to get it for free.

Plus it makes the game seem really cheap if they release expansions etc for free.

We want something quality don’t we?

Also come on. $60 is Fook all. You’d probably spend that on fast food or some crap anyway.

It’s already confirmed in the FAQ that it will be paid, and will be distributed both via gemstore and boxed in retail stores.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

Doing a simple arithmetic rule:

8 classes —-————- $50
1 class —-—————— X

X=6.25, if they want to round it up, ok, lest go to $10.

Even if we can take other things into consideration (like pve maps, guild halls, legendaries, the new WvW map, the new PvP map, and mode, the specializations, the masteries…) all of that compared to what Gw2 bringed for $50, reassure that the price should be veeeeery much low (cause the content is veeeeery much low).

So over $10 i will consider it an scam.
Other thing is that we’ll buy it as a caprice or fancy stuff, even if it is overpriced. But just to let you know: even if it is and it is called an “expansion”, it is not too much content and it shouldnt be prized like that.

Posted by: Pheppo.9286

Pheppo.9286

I guess it will be about about 40$ or 40€ …

That would be ok for me.

Server: Riverside [DE]
Chars: The fluffy Flapsi (Ele), Fipsip (Mesmer), Flappo (Necro), Fenix (Engi)

Tom Gore.4035

8 classes —-————- $50
1 class —-—————— X

Even if we can take other things into consideration (like pve maps, guild halls, legendaries, the new WvW map, the new PvP map, and mode, the specializations, the masteries…) all of that compared to what Gw2 bringed for $50, reassure that the price should be veeeeery much low (cause the content is veeeeery much low).

Other thing is that we’ll buy it as a caprice or fancy stuff, even if it is overpriced. But just to let you know: even if it is and it is called an “expansion”, it is not too much content and it shouldnt be prized like that.

How would it be a scam if they tell you what’s inside and what the price is. It’s only a scam if they would say it contains 3 zones and it would only contain 1.

Products are not priced based on what they contain. They’re priced on the guesstimate of what the customer is willing to pay for it.

Do you really think 16GB of flash memory costs 100 USD?

One – Piken Square

yanipheonu.5798

8 classes —-————- $50
1 class —-—————— X

This may be the biggest logical fallacy I’ve seen in a long time.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

hope you wont pay for the expansion

Because really, when people do tons of work, they should get nothing for it.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

This may be the biggest logical fallacy I’ve seen in a long time.

I’m just hoping that poster sticks to their guns and doesn’t buy it so I never have to see them in the new zone.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: AivenPrimus.9184

AivenPrimus.9184

If you really believe that EXPANSION could/should cost 30 $ or EUR,
Then it is sad to tell you, but you dont know value of your money.

Yes, ofcourse game IS amazing…

but having such a ridiculous price on A EXPANSIONS…
would might as well be a new game and label it – ‘’Revenant Wars 3’’

Yet somehow none of GW1 expansions costs more than 20EUR comparing to the amount of content they bring.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

And isn’t anyone even a little upset about some of the things they’ve been promising us for years being stuck behind a pay wall?

True. Guild halls, GvG, precursor hunt… were all promised as a general feature which was gonna be free, in a feature patch.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

They expect 91 mil $ earnings in Q3 2015, they predict to sell 2 mil copies 50$ per copy. But I think 50$ for 1 map 1 class is just greedy. 25$ or 20€ would be the right price. I wont pay more than 30€ for an expansion.