Questions about Pricing and Payment [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

They expect 91 mil $ earnings in Q3 2015, they predict to sell 2 mil copies 50$ per copy. But I think 50$ for 1 map 1 class is just greedy. 25$ or 20€ would be the right price. I wont pay more than 30€ for an expansion.

Keep in mind those earnings also include new game purchase and gemstore purchases, of which they have 25-30 million worth every quarter and they probably expect to get even more of those with the launch of the expansion. People coming back to play, unlocking S2 episoder, buying new character slots, etc.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Dainank.1308

Dainank.1308

You have to take into account that there is NO SUBSCRIPTION FEE, so paying for a single expansion is surely not to bad. Besides, where else should they get the money from. Also not that from G2A you could seriously get it for like 20$ no doubt.

Guild: LF Aurora Glade – PvE Guild
YouTube: www.youtube.com/TheAdaptiveGoblins
Buy my Music: https://www.recordunion.com/Profile/76185#.VrGlqPkrKUk

Posted by: Glott.7239

Glott.7239

I’d say it’s either 34,95 or 39,95 in € and $, and a bit less in £. maybe it will include a “free” character slot, but maybe that’s only in the “ultimate, heroic, collectors, deluxe edition”, that they will most certainly sell to, for around 50-60 $/€, along with a bunch of goofy cash shop items like, a mini, boosts, bank express and so on.

oh, and lets not forget the bundle edition that contains the main game as well as the expansion. (ca.50 €/$)

to me that’s all fine giving that we still now very little about the actual size of the add-on. so lets hold on with the Anet bashing for a while.

Posted by: KGS.9842

KGS.9842

20 euro is a realistic price for the content they have announced

Posted by: elizeukill.4810

elizeukill.4810

this new expasion i will need to buy it like world of warcraft?

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: SimenAaserud.3598

SimenAaserud.3598

Yes. But no sub fee.

lordkrall.7241

You will be able to keep playing without buy the expansion yes, but you will not have access to the expansion specific features (most likely).

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

elizeukill.4810

lol so it will be pay to win
and another dead game for me

lordkrall.7241

Huh?

How did you jump to that conclusion?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

There have been some questionable decisions regarding items in the gem store and P2W… but this is not one of them…

There is no level or power increase in the expansion, so it can’t possibly be P2W… How exactly are you thinking it will be P2W?

elizeukill.4810

maybe because people who buy the expasion will got new masterys? new profession? new weapon specialiazations?

lordkrall.7241

You are assuming that those things will be broken and unbalanced though.
The masteries are also PvE only, so won’t really effect any competitive mode at all, and as such no Pay to Win.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: PSX.9250

PSX.9250

Ehh?! o.O

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

So I guess every game is pay 2 win for you.

And every game must mean pay 2 play.

Ugh.

Sorrow’s Furnace US

elizeukill.4810

and new skills? new traits and the ‘’new unique mechanics’’ only on pve?

lordkrall.7241

That would only ever be an issue if those things were unbalanced and over-powered. And if that is indeed the case, they will be fixed rather fast after launch of the expansion.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Urosh Uchiha.9732

Urosh Uchiha.9732

So by your logic MMOs should be released only as a base game and no expansion EVER after that cause it will be considered “Pay to Win”?

Pay to Win means buying items with real money that are so overpowered and not available in any other way than through real money.

And honestly, my personal opinion, even if the new skills, new profession, new specializations are only available to people who purchase the expansion and extremely overpowered to a point where it makes no sense to play ‘vanilla’ professions anymore I wouldn’t care. If you could buy GW2 at some point in your life, you can as sure as hell buy the expansion. Even if you are struggling with money you can save a dollar every day, starting today and you should have more then enough by the time the expansion lands.

“and another dead game for me”, honestly I hope everyone who has shares these thoughts should just leave the game and everyone would be happy.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Yeah surprise there, you want things, they cost money. Welcome to the real world.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Erm…

Considering that you can purchase an upgrade to deluxe pack of GW2 through gems, which also means that Anet is not making any profit by doing that but still doing it for the benefit of players.

Anet while on one hand has to consider the possible profit they can made from the expansion, they also need to consider the possible number of players they gonna lost due to expansion simple because there are some players who refuse to spend more money.

There are a lot of considerations, not just profits or number of players.

As a player, I would of course love to use golds instead of spending more money, which is the reason why I bought GW2 which is a buy to play game. But, if the only option for expansion is to pay, then, just have to go along with it like all other retail titles.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: KorbanDallas.7389

KorbanDallas.7389

You have to take into account that there is NO SUBSCRIPTION FEE, so paying for a single expansion is surely not to bad. Besides, where else should they get the money from. Also not that from G2A you could seriously get it for like 20$ no doubt.

Back in the days of GW1, I was perfectly content buying each expansion for the price they asked. I was essentially getting a full game with new stuff to try out for slightly less than what I payed for the original game – now that was a way to make me feel like I was getting my monies worth!

Now though, it really depends what they charge. They have the gemstore now – and they are making good money off that – it’s not like back in the day when they had to pump out a new box in order to earn cash – every time a costume is purchased from the gemstore, they are making 10 bucks (and I’ve seen alot of people wearing costumes).

Should they make money? Yeah, they should make money, and we should be thrilled to give them money to support something we enjoy, but the more and more things that get logged behind payments will inevitably cause more and more people to get a bitter taste in their mouth over the fact they feel nickle and dimed.

That’s just my two cents on this whole “they need to make money somehow” argument towards paying for things. Other developers put out just as much if not more content for completely free with just the equivalent of a gemstore for the impatient folks, and manage to get by. The argument should be less “they need to make money somehow” and more “the content should be worth the reasonable cost they assign to it,” know what I mean?

}——————————-{
http://avsla-gw2.blogspot.com/

Posted by: DeadSurvivor.6157

DeadSurvivor.6157

I’m Looking Forward To Some Of The New Additions …

Guild Wars 2 News & Links
Guilds: [AoL]
( Swindle Rogue )

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

LOL op…..what you describe would be any game ever.

Expansions typically come with more skills and such, to give people a reason to continue playing their max level characters. Because people require something to feel like they are progressing their character. Tada, specializations and masteries. Likely masteries will be region specific though, much as EotN rep titles were region specific in their bonuses.

So yes, if you don’t buy it, you don’t get the new goodies. Doesn’t make it “pay to win.” You obviously have no idea wtf ‘p2w’ actually is.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

Well i don’t think it can be more than 39€. I mean that’s the price of the CORE game atm.
The expansion isn’t standalone, so it would be awkward if it cost more than the Standalone part.
Now i expect there might be a pack with the core+expansion.

At this point i don’t think i’d buy a Digital Deluxe version though.
Easy to explay why: I pre-purchased 2 copies of digital deluxe (one for me one for my brother) at 75€ each. Now it costs 59€. I’m ok with that, i mean, stuff depreciates. over time.
What i’m not ok is that they added the 3 legacy armors to the new cheaper purchases, but they weren’t given to people who had already bought Digital Deluxe. So basically because i chose to support Anet and buy the game early, i’ve missed out on content that people nowadays get for less money than i paid. But its only skins, so i don’t gripe too much. Still it makes me think twice about decking out extra money on further deluxe packages.

Posted by: iSmack.1768

iSmack.1768

I see it being in the 15-30$ range.

Posted by: TsiriDhaBiri.4605

TsiriDhaBiri.4605

i read that the expansion will be with a price, any guesses of what price will be? i mean it will be more than 30euro or more than 60euro?

i feel stupid to ask that question, but i had to :P

Posted by: Feothyr.6072

Feothyr.6072

Goroth – Necro | Valea – Mesmer
Naneth – Guardian | Brannoc Oakbark – Ranger
Is all that we see or seem just a dream within a dream?

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

Please read the FAQ on the Support site as well.

Sorrow’s Furnace US

Posted by: Angelsofheaven.3521

Angelsofheaven.3521

I was wondering the same thing is it gona cost use to get it?

Posted by: Feothyr.6072

Feothyr.6072

I was wondering the same thing is it gona cost use to get it?

Yes, you will have to buy the expansion to play the new content.

Goroth – Necro | Valea – Mesmer
Naneth – Guardian | Brannoc Oakbark – Ranger
Is all that we see or seem just a dream within a dream?

Posted by: AnniMira.2506

AnniMira.2506

The expansion could be purchased with credit card – just like gems are purchased now: in game. I’m against purchase with gems due that gold can be earned easily in the game or otherwise, even illegally.

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

Erm…

Considering that you can purchase an upgrade to deluxe pack of GW2 through gems, which also means that Anet is not making any profit by doing that but still doing it for the benefit of players.

That upgrade is small bonuses, not large content updates. It’s quite a bit difference.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

As long as its a physical copy. I do not own, condone, or use, or trust credit cards. I’ll probably not be able to get the expansion at Best Buy after my birthday then if it comes out in 5-6 months from now, and my birthday is June 21.

I don’t like to use my debit/credit card online, due to account risk. What I do when I need to is get one of the Visa pre-paid gift cards and use that. You may have to register it online with the company that issues it before you can use it, but after that it’s good for pretty much anything online. And if something goes wrong, all that you stand to lose is what’s invested on that card.

Lots of grocery stores and even drug stores seem to carry them now.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

We’ve combined a lot of posts about pricing, payment methods, and so forth into this one thread.

Please read the FAQ about Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns to get answers to some of the questions, and we’ll have more information in the future.

In the meantime, this is the best thread for posts about pricing, cost, etc.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: ectogasm.8764

ectogasm.8764

$40-$60

is my guess

“The kingdom of the fathers and the heroes where are you?
I’m talking to you every night more than I should do”

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Erm…

Of course they make money off of it. If you buy gems with cash, they’ve made money. If you buy the gems with gold so you can upgrade, then someone else paid for those gems with cash, so ANet made money there, too.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Gibson — please keep in mind that players earn gold in the game. We do not make money from gold acquired in that manner, it’s coming to them through normal gameplay solely with the purchase of the original game. I just want to be sure that I point out that gold does not necessarily indicate a purchase (for real money) of any kind, not by the player nor by anyone else.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Gibson — please keep in mind that players earn gold in the game. We do not make money from gold acquired in that manner, it’s coming to them through normal gameplay solely with the purchase of the original game. I just want to be sure that I point out that gold does not necessarily indicate a purchase (for real money) of any kind, not by the player nor by anyone else.

Is the same true of Gems that were bought with gold, however. My understanding was that the gems would not go into circulation unless they were first purchased with real world money (ie, they represent profit for Anet).

I dont think anyone is advocating the purchase of an expansion with gold. They are wondering about the viability of purchase with gems – which had to be purchased by someone with real world money at some point (even if that person isnt the one currently spending the gems).

I can see both sides of this. One the one hand, it would be a nice way for Anet to reward current players while still making a profit and avoid hindering profits from new sales.

At the same time, purchases with gems may represent revenue that Anet earned in past quarters rather than the current one, making it hard to justify from a profit/current investment point of view.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Gems can be acquired by converting gold that is earned by playing the game into gems. Therefore, no, no payment of real-world money needs to be involved in the acquisition of gold or gems.

BUT… I am not an economic expert and I need to be sure I’m speaking correctly. Therefore, I will see if the good John Smith can verify my comment (or poke holes in it, as he is welcome to do if I’m full of beans. )

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: John Smith.4610

Previous

John Smith.4610

Next

I’m late to the party and haven’t read the thread yet so forgive me for any error.
To clarify:
While a purchase of an object with gems doesn’t indicate a purchase from that person, the gems that are used are from a purchase that somebody made. It is true that the gems in circulation in the currency exchange are purchased by a player and that exchange depends on a player of some sort making a purchase.

I’ll read this thread and follow up again shortly.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Thanks, John!

I want to be clear that this is a side discussion and does not impact the actual matter of pricing. As the FAQ points out:

Q: Is the expansion “buy to play”?
A: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is a paid expansion to Guild Wars 2, but once you buy it, there are no subscription fees. This means that you can continue playing and access future updates for Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns with no subscription fee.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

Gems always come from somewhere. In order for you to exchange gold for gems, someone else had to buy those gems in the first place.

Posted by: Sondergaard.8469

Sondergaard.8469

$30 is my absolute hard limit. $20 is even better, especially considering I have to buy two copies of every expansion (one for me and one for my wife.)

If they start the line at $40-$50, I wouldn’t be able to justify it. The core game is $40, and way more content than what I see going into the xpac. That’s not to say the xpac is small by any means, but if the value of everything in the core experience is set at $40, then it stands to reason the value of everything going into a smaller content expansion would be less than that.

That said, if the price does end up being more than $30 I’ll just continue with the core game until it goes on sale.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Thanks, John!

I want to be clear that this is a side discussion and does not impact the actual matter of pricing. As the FAQ points out:

Q: Is the expansion “buy to play”?
A: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is a paid expansion to Guild Wars 2, but once you buy it, there are no subscription fees. This means that you can continue playing and access future updates for Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns with no subscription fee.

Thanks for the follow up and clarification.

For the record, I don’t personally care if it takes dollars, gems or three goats and a chicken, I will be among the first in line to buy the new expansion. I was just curious to know how gems worked based on what I had read in the past.

You guys rock.

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

All I know is, I won’t buy anymore gems until this is released. In fact, I have even stopped making bolts of damask for my Ascended armor. No more refinement – will just collect mats and wait…and see. Nothing worse then spending all that time and effort grinding playing how I want to make ascended gear, only to find to find out that I should have used the mats for something else.

So, I don’t care how much the expansion costs (within reason). I’ll just save the $40 I would spend every couple of months or so. Then see.

(edited by misterman.1530)

Previous

Gaile Gray

For the record, I don’t personally care if it takes dollars, gems or three goats and a chicken, I will be among the first in line to buy the new expansion. I was just curious to know how gems worked based on what I had read in the past.

You guys rock.

Wow, that is a tempting offer. Can you toss in bulk bag of cherries and a couple of sprigs of lemongrass to sweeten the deal?

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: MokahTGS.7850

MokahTGS.7850

IMO, $50 is insane to ask for an exp with only one zone. The main game doesn’t cost that much.

Personally, I think between $10-20 is fair for the amount of content being described. If it is true that there is only 1 new area added to the PvE side of things then $9.99 is fair.

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

IMO, $50 is insane to ask for an exp with only one zone. The main game doesn’t cost that much.

Personally, I think between $10-20 is fair for the amount of content being described. If it is true that there is only 1 new area added to the PvE side of things then $9.99 is fair.

Depends on your definition of an area and zone.

They used the word region when referring to the Heart of the Maguuma, in the base game regions are larger geographical or geopolitical areas like Kryta, Ascalon, Orr, etc. all of which contain multiple maps or zones.

For the three way split of the new region they used the term biome that is not strictly defined in the base game but has common definition of areas separated by distinct terrain types and life forms. Seeing as how the split is vertical and knowing that the map system in game already has three vertical layers this can be taken to imply that each individual zone of the new explorable area contains or can contain a representation of each of these three biomes.

We don’t have enough information to judge the landmass added to the game by HoT at all, but we have decent examples of vertical maps now starting from Labyrinthine Cliffs and ending with The Silverwastes which show that the area a zone occupies on the map does not necessarily accurately indicate its real size.

For comparison currently what I believe is called the Maguuma Wastes is a region that contains two zones Dry Top and the Silverwastes, Orr is a region with four zones and these are the two smallest regions in the game as of right now whereas the largest regions go upto circa 7 zones (writing this from memory).

Posted by: MokahTGS.7850

MokahTGS.7850

Depends on your definition of an area and zone.

They used the word region when referring to the Heart of the Maguuma, in the base game regions are larger geographical or geopolitical areas like Kryta, Ascalon, Orr, etc. all of which contain multiple maps or zones.

For the three way split of the new region they used the term biome that is not strictly defined in the base game but has common definition of areas separated by distinct terrain types and life forms. Seeing as how the split is vertical and knowing that the map system in game already has three vertical layers this can be taken to imply that each individual zone of the new explorable area contains or can contain a representation of each of these three biomes.

We don’t have enough information to judge the landmass added to the game by HoT at all, but we have decent examples of vertical maps now starting from Labyrinthine Cliffs and ending with The Silverwastes which show that the area a zone occupies on the map does not necessarily accurately indicate its real size.

For comparison currently what I believe is called the Maguuma Wastes is a region that contains two zones Dry Top and the Silverwastes, Orr is a region with four zones and these are the two smallest regions in the game as of right now whereas the largest regions go upto circa 7 zones (writing this from memory).

Which is the main reason why I asked for ANet to define their terms:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Please-Define-Your-Terms/first#post4734417

IMO even adding an area like the silver wastes would be too little for an Expansion pack priced at $30-50. If the price is close to the original game it should have close to the same amount of content.

Posted by: Shiro Tegachii.5619

Shiro Tegachii.5619

i image it will be 40$ but i dont mind paying 50$