There was a time GW2 was Casual Friendly

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

did ncsoft throw anet under the bus with bandwidth ? when no one is around, the fun hot fights are undoable, but when there are people on the server now suddenly I’m getting server / skill lag – disconnects! – ain’t that a kick in the pants ? and i highly doubt there is a little green man that says “oh look, he’s starting to have fun, give him lag Nao!!” at my isp, so let’s not go there! my isp can’t log me out of the market while still in game! :p

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

(edited by Ricky.4706)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

did ncsoft throw anet under the bus with bandwidth ? when no one is around, the fun hot fights are undoable, but when there are people on the server now suddenly I’m getting server / skill lag – disconnects! – ain’t that a kick in the pants ? and i highly doubt there is a little green man that says “oh look, he’s starting to have fun, give him lag Nao!!” at my isp, so let’s not go there! my isp can’t log me out of the market while still in game! :p

If lag and such are universal — i.e., everyone playing gets it — it’s a problem on the server end. If it is happening only to some players, the problem is somewhere in the interaction between the server and their system. That said, GW2 does have its issues. I have occasional problems with it, and no other games I’ve played in the last year.

Ricky.4706

it’s happening to others too, i kept asking in areas i was getting it. it seems to happen only when the server map is full. recently too, i haven’t seen it this bad since early wvw.

makes me wonder if we are sharing servers with blade and soul ?

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

(edited by Ricky.4706)

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

it’s happening to others too, i kept asking in areas i was getting it. it seems to happen only when the server map is full. recently too, i haven’t seen it this bad since early wvw.

makes me wonder if we are sharing servers with blade and soul ?

Extremely doubt the B&S servers are anywhere near the GW2 ones.

I believe there might just be issues, could be environmental based on the server locations?

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Ricky.4706

i mean, not the servers themselves, but the ncsoft bandwidth ? – like remember in wvw, when 3 full servers fought in the center of the castle ? that kind of lag / rubber banding / disconnecting / skills flashing – but unresponsive kind of stuff – like the black lion market said i wasn’t logged in. – when it was my isp, i’d just get disconnects….not logged out of game, while in game.

another strange thing, was in splintered coast, near tequatl, on the jumping pad, the jumping pad became unresponsive, so i just started running instead, like 4 seconds later, i got launched, from where i was running, it ended up shooting me way further than the 2nd pad you normally land around, and it didn’t rubberband, because i kept playing from that point ….was strange – definitely a local thing to anet / ncsoft. and i disconnected right when tequatl died, that was fun, in a not kind of way lol

(edited by Ricky.4706)

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

For anyone assuming NCsoft/Anet must be unhappy right now…

“NCSoft, the Korean MMORPG juggernaut, released Q4 2015 earnings today and they reported $196.7M in revenue, the highest in over a year, largely thanks to Guild Wars 2 (the Heart of Thorns expansion launched in Q4). "

“NCSoft’s stock (Korea Stock Exchange: 036570) has performed exceptionally well over the last few months, especially since global stocks have been in free-fall since 2016 began. NCSoft’s stock is sitting at multi-year highs.” (http://mmos.com/news/ncsoft-q4-revenues-increase)

“NCsoft says that its QOQ sales and profits were up thanks to “balanced growth from all major IPs” and that “operating marging reached 32% driven by an increase in high-marging overseas royalty revenue.” Guild Wars 2 in particular “surged” upward in the fourth quarter”

“NCsoft says GW2 “solidified its position as a main revenue driver by adding on expansion pack sales to stable in-game item sales.” " (http://massivelyop.com/2016/02/10/ncsoft-reports-q4-2015-sales-surge-for-guild-wars-2-bump-for-wildstar/)

So yeah, HoT didn’t sell as “well as expected”. It still “sold well”. Well enough to be among their top 2-3 games and be credited directly by NCsoft.

Anyone thinking NCsoft and Anet are in panic mode… they’re not. Your argument boils down to “they got rich, but not filthy stinking Scrooge McDuck swimming in a tower of gold coins rich. Man what a failure.” Maybe they aren’t streaking through the streets and showering each other with champagne and confetti, but I’d bet they aren’t unhappy either.

I really cant understand what people like you want to prove, or what goal are you seeking…
GW2 passed from the 2nd best game in sells for NCsoft in 2014 to 3rd, in a year where it had an expansion launched, while the new 2nd didnt have any.

Solid sales doesnt mean good sales. It is just vocabulary to investors, so they dont fly.

If changes are coming on the kind of content, quantity and frequency inGW2, is beacuse ncsoft realized the game need them. Why cant we see it as well?

And of course NCsoft is not going to die, they had great performance and revenues, but mainly thanks toLineage 1 and B&S, not thanks to GW2, who underperformed and its in need of changes.

They need to bring people back to the game, or new ones. And for that task they need a new kind of game, more apealing, both in prize and content. Ncsoft knows it, hopefully player base realize that someday as well…
We are in this position and with HoT because some people demanded this and Anet listened to them.
Pls, lets start for once to tell anet something that actually help the game, its sales and increase our fun in game playtime, instead of cover reality and accept the disappointment as something good.

(edited by Silicato.4603)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

For anyone assuming NCsoft/Anet must be unhappy right now…

“NCSoft, the Korean MMORPG juggernaut, released Q4 2015 earnings today and they reported $196.7M in revenue, the highest in over a year, largely thanks to Guild Wars 2 (the Heart of Thorns expansion launched in Q4). "

“NCSoft’s stock (Korea Stock Exchange: 036570) has performed exceptionally well over the last few months, especially since global stocks have been in free-fall since 2016 began. NCSoft’s stock is sitting at multi-year highs.” (http://mmos.com/news/ncsoft-q4-revenues-increase)

“NCsoft says that its QOQ sales and profits were up thanks to “balanced growth from all major IPs” and that “operating marging reached 32% driven by an increase in high-marging overseas royalty revenue.” Guild Wars 2 in particular “surged” upward in the fourth quarter”

“NCsoft says GW2 “solidified its position as a main revenue driver by adding on expansion pack sales to stable in-game item sales.” " (http://massivelyop.com/2016/02/10/ncsoft-reports-q4-2015-sales-surge-for-guild-wars-2-bump-for-wildstar/)

So yeah, HoT didn’t sell as “well as expected”. It still “sold well”. Well enough to be among their top 2-3 games and be credited directly by NCsoft.

Anyone thinking NCsoft and Anet are in panic mode… they’re not. Your argument boils down to “they got rich, but not filthy stinking Scrooge McDuck swimming in a tower of gold coins rich. Man what a failure.” Maybe they aren’t streaking through the streets and showering each other with champagne and confetti, but I’d bet they aren’t unhappy either.

I really cant understand what people like you want to prove, or what goal are you seeking…
GW2 passed from the 2nd best game in sells for NCsoft in 2014 to 3rd, in a year where it had an expansion launched, while the new 2nd didnt have any.

Solid sales doesnt mean good sales. It is just vocabulary to investors, so they dont fly.

If changes are coming on the kind of content, quantity and frequency inGW2, is beacuse ncsoft realized the game need them. Why cant we see it as well?

And of course NCsoft is not going to die, they had great performance and revenues, but mainly thanks toLineage 1 and B&S, not thanks to GW2, who underperformed and its in need of changes.

They need to bring people back to the game, or new ones. And for that task they need a new kind of game, more apealing, both in prize and content. Ncsoft knows it, hopefully player base realize that someday as well…
We are in this position and with HoT because some people demanded this and Anet listened to them.
Pls, lets start for once to tell anet something that actually help the game, its sales and increase our fun in game playtime, instead of cover reality and accept the disappointment as something good.

Solid sales doesn’t mean bad sales either.

Every game has to walk a tightrope between hard core and casual and every single person has a different threshold for that that means.

Clearly you’re more casual than I am and clearly other people are more hard core than I am.

So if you move the bar too far to casual, you get hard core players leaving. If you move the bar too far toward hard core, you get casual players leaving.

What we’ve seen so far, more than anything, is that not enough people over all purchased the expansion. Those who haven’t can’t comment on whether or not it’s hard core enough for them.

Every bit of evidence I can think of seems to indicate people not buying the game in the first place, not just people who think the game is too hard. More than likely too expensive is as much as a culprit as anything.

Yes, we get it. You think the game is too hard. But there are other people who don’t. And there are people who didn’t buy the game who didn’t buy it for other reasons.

I’m pretty sure if they move the bar too far in the wrong direction, they’ll lose an entirely different group of people…which would actually be fine by me, because I don’t need great difficulty to enjoy a game.

Ricky.4706

yall want to see this game take over the top slot again with numbers. I kid you not, as silly as this suggestion sounds, it works, i’ve seen it work, and the sociological impact is phenomenal. it’s a simple little tweak that strikes at the core of being ‘human’.

alignments. - create good / evil / neutral alignments – then create a town that is open pvp.

It’s that simple, out of that – for the first month, you will hear whining about how everyone is getting jumped…..the 2nd month, you will hear about a bunch of vigilante groups form to combat these villains, the 3rd month, you will see guilds rise to fame for either making the town a ghetto or a safe haven. the 4th month, you will see civil wars of guilds vs guilds fighting for control of the town, blogs popping up left and right gossiping about who said what and the on going drama, full rp coverage of the wars over who will control that town.

IF implemented correctly, it’s nothing less than phenomenal. :p

of course, it’s a silly suggestion until you actually do it and see the results.

this game is ripe for that because of all the sub cultures – not to mention, the increase in merchandise sales that cater to each alignment.

Fugetabout it.

and i know it won’t be done in gw2, but i’ll have the satisfaction of yall remembering this post when someone does it right. ^.^

I was really hoping they’d make something of the alignments they already had in place, but they didn’t.

and don’t think for 1 second that people will hesitate to call themselves evil, in the pvp mindset, only the best pvp’rs call themselves evil because everyone hunts them, most legit merchants don’t want to deal with them, they only get to travel in public at night to avoid guards, and there are constant bounties on their heads. – ez fame :p

now tell me the implications of someone having a 100g bounty on their heads. ^.^

it would also instantly rewrite wvw, since the focus wouldn’t be server vs server, now your enemy is in your own back yard.

while graphics and mechanics are great and all, the biggest selling point is the best story. This simple mechanic, will allow the players to tell the bestest stories ever!

(edited by Ricky.4706)

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

Things that people claimed weren’t casual friendly pre-HoT:

Fractals (3 mini dungeons plus a boss?! I don’t have time for that I play 20min a day, I’m casual!)
Dungeons (I can’t get into a group because I don’t have zerk gear and I don’t speedrun! I’m casual!)
World completion (why do we have to do WvW for world completion, I’m casual, I don’t like PvP!)
Story-mode finale (I need a group to finish the story?! what the heck Anet! I’m too casual for that!)
Living Story S1 (these LS events are timed?! You’re saying I can’t do all of the achievements within the 2 weeks if I only play 10min a day?! I’m casual, wtf ANET!
Living Story S2 (wtf Anet, I didn’t log in when these were released because I’m super casual, and now you want me to grind gold so I can trade for gems? I’m casual! I don’t have the time nor money to do this!)
Dailies (Whoa, Anet, look at how long it’s taking to do these dailies! And I have to do it to get laurels?! I’m only on for 2min a day! I can’t possibly get all of this AP that you are forcing me to get! Make it casual friendly!)

I think a lot of people think that casual friendly means everything needs to be able to be completed quickly or easily. A casual player does not imply a bad player, it implies someone that plays at their own, typically slow, pace. Being able to do things at your own pace: that’s the definition of being casual friendly.

In GW2 you can do literally everything at your own pace (minus holiday events, as those are time limited). That is casual friendly. Raids is the only area that I would say has the biggest obstacle to casual players, and that’s getting a 10man group together.

I’d love to hear what exactly in GW2 you couldn’t do at your own, casual, pace.

If something takes a long time, it doesn’t mean it isn’t casual friendly, it just means it will take longer to complete, but it can still be 100% casual.

People claimed crafting legendaries wasn’t casual, but I can assure you I crafted two from scratch, casually, over the course of 2 years. Some days I felt like working towards a requirement, some days I didn’t. I dictated the pace I completed things. THAT IS CASUAL.

All the ‘casuals’ read this please.
Stop the moaning.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

All the ‘casuals’ read this please.
Stop the moaning.

You might consider actually reading the thread first. All of this has already been addressed.Especially, how the “I dictated the pace I completed things. THAT IS CASUAL.” part is what makes core GW2 different from HoT. You cannot really dictate the pace in expac, it is being dictated for you.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Ziggro.7482

Ziggro.7482

OP said everything i wanted to, but didnt know how to articulate, HoT is a mess, it tries to cater to hardcore public but does a very bad job at it, Ive always enjoyed gw2 because of it’s casual nature now i feel like i need to grind hundreds of stuff instead of just playing for fun like it used to be before this forsaken xpac, i really hope anet drops this e-sport and SPECIALLY the idea of hardcore pve content that brought a ton of elitism and grind to the game once advertised to be casual and just for fun.

Most of my friends, and my active since release guild are gone, the pvpers went to mobas because the pvp league is a joke(even tho they were always online pvping before hot) and the pvers went back to wow. I really hope anet can go back to pre-hot ideology at some point.

I stopped playing too, and lurk the forums every now and then hoping they go back to what made this game great some day.

Ricky.4706

interesting that you compare grind to hardcore …. it makes sense, and I like the comparison.

I always thought, it’s the difference between being forced to watch the same movie 1,000 times as opposed to playing 1,000 games of cards.

Which is why I point to pvp, and use the phrase “Playing against artificial intelligence”

there is nothing surprising and fun about playing against artificial intelligence……vs the surprise twists and turns found in pvp. – PVP is way more fun, funny, surprising, than playing against a computer.

Somehow, I think this simple concept has eluded anet – look at blade and soul, every review agrees that their pve is horrible, but their pvp is amazing……and as a result they are over a million people playing.

The problem with pvp, is the stigma it took on with the internet, people have come to know pvp as a trolls tool to harass others. In reality, pvp is what games are all about, socializing and competing vs other players…….and I don’t mean competing vs a score another player made against a computer……I mean playing against another player to get a better score on the computer. There is a difference.

The game itself, is quite fun, and fascinating in how they create this lively world ….but it’s still artificial intelligence and even if you gave 50 different possible outcomes, it’s still predictable, and not social.

The problem with hot, ironically enough, is it removed the “social” aspect of gaming. Sure you can make guilds and form big pug teams, but in the end, you are just watching the same movie, just not alone. In a theatre, you tell others to please be quiet, in a baseball game when someone shouts, you shout back “OH YEAH??” and the match takes on a new meaning from that alone.

“Huuuuuuuge” difference …. ( in donald trump voice )

if I had to summarize everything wrong with hot and the direction anet is taking gw2….I’d have to say, they just want us to watch the same movie 5 million times and pretend it was the first time every time. That just gets old for any gamer in any subculture.

look at it this way, a deck of cards, or a chess game, never gets old, out dated, nor does it need an expansion pack, patches or bonus content.

(edited by Ricky.4706)

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

@Ricky.4706

World of Warcraft has factions and world PvP, in name. In reality, their world PvP died years ago. I guess it wasn’t as popular as one might think.

Ricky.4706

their world pvp may have died, but to be honest, i was never fond of wow to begin with.

For the “factions” to work, there does have to be a community effort, many of today’s games have “Trained” next gen of gamers differently – I suppose to get them into loot – so there would be a market for selling loot you can’t find in game.

It does work, but the wow crowd is certainly not the kind of audience you’d see playing pen and paper D&D for that matter.

Somehow, things happen the way they happen because at the end of the day it’s always about money. I suppose that’s why games start great, but when keeping up with monthly expenses, they lose their appeal due to adjusting mechanics to keep the lights on. something a deck of cards or chess never had to deal with.

I keep bringing up chess and cards, because of their replayability. – Specifically cards, you can play a variety of games – but part of that is an agreement of 2 players to a set of rules. In GW2, The game is making the rules, not the players. I think that specific point is what is causing burnout – “i’m not playing by my rules anymore”

That is probably also the core element of why it didn’t work in wow, that’s a generation of players that need rules and never learned to agree on rules. That’s a hard core pvp attitude, they agree on rules and stick to them, because their win is about honor, not about loot.

anet has, or at least one time had an intelligent audience that were capable of being part of such a system. Unfortunately, I see that audience dwindling, and more skritt looking for shinies recently lol

and for the record, i love all genres and understand all the headsets, I am a roamer after all, so I do have some of that skritt in me rofl….but that use to be a side thing for fun, my main persona was a drow. Drows are about power, making money, and killing people was not for fun for us, people were just in our way to power and money, although i do admit i had fun moving them out the way so.. lol ( as the general rp-pvp story goes )

that said, it would be a hoot to see people have personal pages, that give their own character a rich background and story, i mean…stats are nice and all, but how a person perceives those stats is the story – anet needs to give people more space to play by their own rules, the recent changes are slowly removing that freedom to be distinctly yourself, “live” and play the way you want in the GW2 world.

(edited by Ricky.4706)

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

For the “factions” to work,

Factions don’t work, and can’t work.

Factions split the playerbase, moreover factions are not going to be equally popular. There will invariably be a dominant faction.
Additionally the fact that you just split your playerbase means that finding groups and such becomes harder because there are less players to work with, which leads to a snowball effect of players moving to the more popular faction.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Ricky.4706

they do work, i’ve seen it work, but that is part of a community effort and there are zero tools to express that individuality.

Nothing has to work, if I insist it doesn’t work. The electric candle wasn’t supposed to work, and we’d be typing on our computers in the dark if it didn’t. So, no it does not work, FOR YOU. but it does work. Just like Hot doesn’t work for many others, but it works for some. never stop someone from doing something you cant.

which ironically enough, wvw is a faction based part of the game, and it at one time was huuuuuge – worst lag ever from so many people logging on to 1 area to fight in gw2. so, yeah…it works :p All i’m saying is to go back to your roots anet, school the next gen, that’s what made gw1 huuuuge! don’t give them wow, give them a deck of cards!

(edited by Ricky.4706)

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

they do work, i’ve seen it work, but that is part of a community effort and there are zero tools to express that individuality.

Nothing has to work, if I insist it doesn’t work. The electric candle wasn’t supposed to work, and we’d be typing on our computers in the dark if it didn’t. So, no it does not work, FOR YOU. but it does work. Just like Hot doesn’t work for many others, but it works for some. never stop someone from doing something you cant.

which ironically enough, wvw is a faction based part of the game, and it at one time was huuuuuge – worst lag ever from so many people logging on to 1 area to fight in gw2. so, yeah…it works :p All i’m saying is to go back to your roots anet, school the next gen, that’s what made gw1 huuuuge! don’t give them wow, give them a deck of cards!

Let me rephrase.

Factions can function, however they are a total mistake in terms of game design.

Hint: There is a reason more and more MMOs aren’t using the faction model. Heck even faction based games like SW:TOR have spent much of their post-release content trying to phase out factions.

Splitting a playerbase should be avoided whenever possible. No amount of naïve idealism about “community effort” will change that.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Posted by: Marthkus.4615

Marthkus.4615

Factions was one of my favorite expansions.

Ricky.4706

Splitting the playerbase is the wrong approach to factions, this is once again a scenario that a choice is being made not only for your character based on what server you are on, but your account. – bad implementation.

Allowing me to be my evil, neutral or good, self on the character of my choosing, is freedom of expression. That isn’t splitting the community, that is enhancing it with personality.

“HUUUUUUUUGE Difference” – ( in bernie sanders voice )

Ricky.4706

actually – factions is to oil and water, as alignment is to yin yang – one doesn’t mix, the other compliments each other. bad chaos vs good chaos :p

I need to be able to be your best friend with one character, your darkest nightmare with another, and a drunken dwarf that doesn’t recognize you on yet another. That is not factions or division, that is character and gaming depth.

at the moment, the only gaming depth is doing the same routine fights on a schedule around artificially intelligent characters. – that will grind anyone to a burnout, including the developers trying to figure out what to entertain you with next. Entertain yourselves with individuality so anet can focus on giving you the tools to better express yourself.

Magic is all about perception, you can look at a tree, change your view on that tree, and like magic it becomes a door, a house, or firewood. The magic is in YOU the individual expressing his/her visions of what that tree means to you.

back to a simple deck of cards, to some it means poker, to others it means solitaire, and yet to someone else it means a house. – that’s replayability.

I’ve studied this on more levels than i care to admit lol

(edited by Ricky.4706)

Posted by: DaikonSamurai.6714

DaikonSamurai.6714

@Daikon,

Been thinking about it for a long time as well, and honestly? I think it might have something to do with just how well GW2 brought in players who would have never played MMOs before.

From my perspective as a Veteran MMO player, pre-HoT GW2 had zero challenge in getting any horizontial progression done, with Liquid Gold being a main driver behind earning the vast majority of items.

Fast-forward to HoT, now certain items are behind working on a map for a currency, and the crowd who originally could get a similar kind of progression anywhere else in Tyria, likely in a gold farming spot like Frostgourge train or World Bosses, find that they have to actually play a certain map for getting say the Bladed Armor.

Is this gating? Maybe, but it also creates a sort of scarcity for the items, which brings us back to the whole horizontial progression. You know very well what the player next to you did when they covered themselves in blades, even the Chest item. And all the players who were so accustomed to being able to do anything, even the most mundane or easy of tasks, find themselves being forced to do content that is a step up from Core, but its the fact that they are being forced that drives them away.

The question we have to ask is if this is a GOOD thing? Because on that same token, there’s no rush for getting the full armor set, you can do so at your own pace! Bladed Armor or items of that nature will always be there for players to gain…

This game probably has the largest amount of individual game cultures in it of any MMO out there. Heck, when SAB comes back I bet we will see a massive influx just from that side-game. There are just so many cultures it becomes hard to please everyone.

Heh, that’s me! GW2 Baby’s first MMO.

“Gating skins” runs into the same issue I’m pondering though. Skins were gated plenty in Central Tyria. WvW seasons, dungeon skins before the PvP tracks, SAB, etc., etc. , etc. all had exclusive content with little to no outcry. Just like I don’t think “casual vs. hardcore” is the heart of the issue either since there was a lot of challenging group content throughout GW2’s life so far (tower of nightmares, marionette, TT, etc.).

Yeah there are many different cultures within GW2 that can’t all be catered to at once. That may be part of the issue, though looking back I still feel Anet couldn’t have done much more there either. Even WvW, which feels largely negelected, the BL has changed numerous times already. There used to be orbs that got taken out because they made for lop-sided matches, there was a Krait event on a center island that was switched out with the ruins to promote splitting up zergs and minimize under water combat, GvG guilds got a coliseum in Obsidian Sanctum to hold their “fight club”, EotM was added to entertain players waiting in queue. Whatever players feel about WvW, they can’t say Anet hasn’t done a lot for it. Even the new desert BL has a lot of stuff going on in it that was meant to address player concerns. Anet’s really good at pumping out content for everyone, it just doesn’t seem to always stick.

And yeah a lot of people are waiting for SAB. That would bring people back.

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

SAB is not GW2 though. It’s a separate 3d platformer inside GW2. If people would come back just for that, that would be hilarious irony.

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

SAB is not GW2 though. It’s a separate 3d platformer inside GW2. If people would come back just for that, that would be hilarious irony.

SAB was by far and large the best ‘activity’ they put into GW2, it is not so ironic at all especially when old players who do not need HoT can just hop into the box and play.

Is it so ironic when we have RP communities or PvE communities or PvX communities? Not to demean but GW2 has the Walmart ‘Bargain Bin’ of cultures, we have everyone!

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

DaikonSamurai.6714

Just the facts. All NCsoft titles showed a boost in revenue and GW2 in particular “surged”.

Also a year of GW2 content draught leading to the expansion, and refunds transitioning to P4F. Staying stable during that period is pretty good in my mind.

I’ll take solid sales over bad sales any day. (Also what Vayne said)

Every company changes their product/service in an attempt to improve said product/service. Nobody I see disagrees things couldn’t be better, things can always be better.

Lineage 1 has always been their main cash cow, and there’s a reason it’s no longer available in the west, and it’s pretty much just sitting where it has been for years now. And B&S’s bump is not much higher than their typical stable state. So what’s your point exactly? All NCsoft titles did well last year, with GW2 getting the largest boost nearly doubling its revenue and somehow GW2 wasn’t a part of raising NCsofts’ revenue? Please.

Well, I continued the “how to improve” discussion after that post. GW2 had successful difficult content front and center before. Challenging group content is still popular with silverwastes (one hit KO hounds in labyrinth, multiple bosses/mechanics). Shatterer is just as popular as ever and is “less casual”, though still relatively easy. I largely feel casual friendliness is not the issue here.

DaikonSamurai.6714

Well, I didn’t mean we’d get launch numbers back. But it was very well received and you’ve gotta admit a lot of people wanted it for a long time now yeah?

DaikonSamurai.6714

What we’ve seen so far, more than anything, is that not enough people over all purchased the expansion. Those who haven’t can’t comment on whether or not it’s hard core enough for them.

Every bit of evidence I can think of seems to indicate people not buying the game in the first place, not just people who think the game is too hard. More than likely too expensive is as much as a culprit as anything.

Yeah, especially given what NCsoft said about not turning as many P4F into B2P customers as expected, I’m more leaning toward this line of thinking as well. People who didn’t buy HoT to begin with have no idea how hard it is.

Please forgive my generalization, but these P4F players were willing to wait 3 years and over multiple $10 sales to get GW2 “for free”, or were completely unaware of the game until it was free. Then they’re told next expansion they’ll get HoT for free and the next expansion will be B2P again. If I put myself in that mindset, willing to wait years for a free game, I’d probably sit tight too. Enjoy central Tyria in the meantime.

Keeping the barrier to entry down at $50 total was a fantastic move in my opinion. But the execution could still use some tweaking I think. Maybe next expansion keep Central Tyria free as it is, but bundle HoT and expac2 together at $50? Maybe with similar veteran appreciation gifts (character slot and outfit)? Then continue that pattern, HoT+expac2+expac3=$50, etc… The barrier remains where it is and people who feel “HoT isn’t worth it” might change their mind if the content is doubled at that point.

Does that sound more fair? Or do y’all think it’ll spark the same drama HoT faced? Current HoT purchasers going “unfair! I paid for HoT 3 years ago!”.

Like a few other people, I feel there are multiple issues at work here too. LW S1 and S2 for example. HoT is like a Star Wars boxset that only contains “Return of the Jedi” where you can buy “the Empire Strikes Back” separately and “A New Hope” is unavailable altogether. If you’ve never seen A New Hope are you going to bother with that box set?

First bundle S2 with the pack and I know the nature of S1 keeps it from being purchasable like S2, but the issue is still a major barrier in my opinion. What if S1 were a recurring year-long event? Each episode treated like a festival event and regularly dropped in, alongside the other festivals we’ve become accustomed to? Having HoT alongside Halloween wasn’t that bad IMO. Then simply continue LW and expansions as they have been doing with instanced story mixed with some open world dialogue like HoT?

I don’t know how much work goes into adapting S1 like that, but that must be easier than rebuilding it all from the ground up? At least more manageable? And I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of P4F players are cycling through their various personal stories waiting to see what Anet does next.

Posted by: Rococo.8347

Rococo.8347

‘their world pvp may have died, but to be honest, i was never fond of wow to begin with.’

I STILL miss playing Alterac Valley, it was always entertaining regardless of whatever unworkable iteration Blizzard came up with, going on to a match 24 hours in when they went on forever listening to all the crazed sleep deprived players makes me feel warm ;D

Posted by: Akkeros.1675

Akkeros.1675

OP said everything i wanted to, but didnt know how to articulate, HoT is a mess, it tries to cater to hardcore public but does a very bad job at it, Ive always enjoyed gw2 because of it’s casual nature now i feel like i need to grind hundreds of stuff instead of just playing for fun like it used to be before this forsaken xpac, i really hope anet drops this e-sport and SPECIALLY the idea of hardcore pve content that brought a ton of elitism and grind to the game once advertised to be casual and just for fun.

Most of my friends, and my active since release guild are gone, the pvpers went to mobas because the pvp league is a joke(even tho they were always online pvping before hot) and the pvers went back to wow. I really hope anet can go back to pre-hot ideology at some point.

I stopped playing too, and lurk the forums every now and then hoping they go back to what made this game great some day.

this guy gets it

Posted by: Aldath.1275

Aldath.1275

Since guys over A-Net already posted on this forum, I want to point out some stuff and hope it gets to them.

1.-“Hardcore” shouldn’t be about grinding, but about player skill. Running in circles like a hamster hoarding items in order to get gear isn’t “hard work” and doesn’t adds anything to the difficulty of a game. As some people mentioned already, Guild Wars 2 advertized itself as a game that was against the “grind to have fun” tenency, and sadly, for people interested, most of the new content you put requires people to grind to participate, or is just about grinding.

2.- Legendaries are the only things there should be a heavy grind for. They are hard enough already, and very expensive (Note: Some players said they were just very expensive before, now they’re a chore).

3.- Masteries, tho I’m grateful we need less Hero Points to unlock the Elite ones, gaining mastery levels still equal to a big grind… It’s a disheartening change of pace from the active leveling unique to GW2, to the “Hamster Wheel Meta” followed by HoT.

4.- You can’t abandon old content, you can’t abandon old Tyria. Dungeon reward nerfs hurted the PvE outside of fractals. I just feel you don’t care about dungeons, since many of them still have bugs that have gone passed over without being adressed (enemies still spawning from burrows after being destroyed, levers not being able to be pulled at random, etc). A couple friends play the free version since I recommended the game before HoT content, and now they’re reluctant to buy because well, they haven’t fully leveled their characters, wanted to try some “co-op” on game but no one is present at dungeons anymore. How is people from lower levels gonna get used to fractals later, for example? It was a good transition…

5.- You have to address the lack of content on the expansion, seriously, I feel all this grindy merry-go-round meta is a way to “compensate” that we only have 1 Raid, 1 Elite per class, and just 4 areas… Content gated behind masteries is really annoying, and HECK, even gated content like abilities at the beggining of the game shouldn’t happen, it makes some of them painful to level up!

(edited by Aldath.1275)

Posted by: Avarice.2791

Avarice.2791

I don’t understand, what’s one aspect of this game that is challenging. I hopped into HoT a few days ago after a year break and beat the story in a matter of two days. Cleared all exploration in the next two days. There is nothing in this game that isn’t casual… Unless all you complainers expect free kitten.

Posted by: Paandor.1950

Paandor.1950

Aldath.1275

Since guys over A-Net already posted on this forum, I want to point out some stuff and hope it gets to them.

1.-“Hardcore” shouldn’t be about grinding, but about player skill. Running in circles like a hamster hoarding items in order to get gear isn’t “hard work” and doesn’t adds anything to the difficulty of a game. As some people mentioned already, Guild Wars 2 advertized itself as a game that was against the “grind to have fun” tenency, and sadly, for people interested, most of the new content you put requires people to grind to participate, or is just about grinding.

2.- Legendaries are the only things there should be a heavy grind for. They are hard enough already, and very expensive (Note: Some players said they were just very expensive before, now they’re a chore).

3.- Masteries, tho I’m grateful we need less Hero Points to unlock the Elite ones, gaining mastery levels still equal to a big grind… It’s a disheartening change of pace from the active leveling unique to GW2, to the “Hamster Wheel Meta” followed by HoT.

4.- You can’t abandon old content, you can’t abandon old Tyria. Dungeon reward nerfs hurted the PvE outside of fractals. I just feel you don’t care about dungeons, since many of them still have bugs that have gone passed over without being adressed (enemies still spawning from burrows after being destroyed, levers not being able to be pulled at random, etc). A couple friends play the free version since I recommended the game before HoT content, and now they’re reluctant to buy because well, they haven’t fully leveled their characters, wanted to try some “co-op” on game but no one is present at dungeons anymore. How is people from lower levels gonna get used to fractals later, for example? It was a good transition…

5.- You have to address the lack of content on the expansion, seriously, I feel all this grindy merry-go-round meta is a way to “compensate” that we only have 1 Raid, 1 Elite per class, and just 4 areas… Content gated behind masteries is really annoying, and HECK, even gated content like abilities at the beggining of the game shouldn’t happen, it makes some of them painful to level up!

This

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

Interesting in that I posted similar sentiments in a different thread seconds ago and your right OP.

HoT is awesome, a great end-game expansion for the minority that needed and deserved it. I take my hat off to the hard core players, I wish my life gave me the luxury of timesink you have to commit to this game BUT the main reason I love this franchise is it has always embraced the casual player.

As someone who might get 5 hours a week to play I was always on the same page as you vets who play 8 hours a day every day.

Where Anet kittened up with HoT is they offered NOTHING to the casual. Vets can kitten and whine all they want but that is what made the franchise. Embracing and welcoming the casual player looking for a game where they felt as relevant and had as much import as someone who did nothing but play the game all day every day.

That was their point of difference in an over saturated MMORPG market. HoT is just a grind fest based on the timesink every other MMORPG does. Simple. If you play GW2 ad nauseam your good…you have the time for 2 hour time gated metas and gear/class based raids.

If you enjoyed casually exploring open world PvE at your leisure….yeah….not so much.

This franchise is turning into the things I hate about every other MMORPG. People playing 24/7 having the upper hand and access to content.

Kitten that.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Interesting in that I posted similar sentiments in a different thread seconds ago and your right OP.

HoT is awesome, a great end-game expansion for the minority that needed and deserved it. I take my hat off to the hard core players, I wish my life gave me the luxury of timesink you have to commit to this game BUT the main reason I love this franchise is it has always embraced the casual player.

As someone who might get 5 hours a week to play I was always on the same page as you vets who play 8 hours a day every day.

Where Anet kittened up with HoT is they offered NOTHING to the casual. Vets can kitten and whine all they want but that is what made the franchise. Embracing and welcoming the casual player looking for a game where they felt as relevant and had as much import as someone who did nothing but play the game all day every day.

That was their point of difference in an over saturated MMORPG market. HoT is just a grind fest based on the timesink every other MMORPG does. Simple. If you play GW2 ad nauseam your good…you have the time for 2 hour time gated metas and gear/class based raids.

If you enjoyed casually exploring open world PvE at your leisure….yeah….not so much.

This franchise is turning into the things I hate about every other MMORPG. People playing 24/7 having the upper hand and access to content.

Kitten that.

Have you tried typing “GW2 HoT Timer” into Google and logging in for the specific meta you want? Exactly like World Bosses preHoT.

fireflyry.7023

Have you tried typing “GW2 HoT Timer” into Google and logging in for the specific meta you want? Exactly like World Bosses preHoT.

You pretty much solidified my point.

Oh…hang on…I’ll just grab my day planner and see if I can schedule that in.To a kittening video game.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

(edited by fireflyry.7023)

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

It’s on a two hour cycle. If you don’t have 2 hours to play, then I don’t understand why you bought the expansion to an MMO.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

fireflyry.7023

It’s on a two hour cycle. If you don’t have 2 hours to play, then I don’t understand why you bought the expansion to an MMO.

See this is where the underlying issue is.

Why should a game dictate the amount of hours I need to play to be successful? So I have to commit 2 hours at a specific time to play, without interruption or a crap map else I fail?

Are you kittening serious?

I bought the expansion based on the core game. A core game which had no such mechanic as a 2 hour window to be successful.

It’s cool though, your guys rebuttal is really helping to reinforce my thoughts and opinion.

Vayne.8563

Why should a game dictate the amount of hours I need to play to be successful? So I have to commit 2 hours at a specific time to play, without interruption or a crap map else I fail?

I bought the expansion based on the core game. A core game which had no such mechanic as a 2 hour window to be successful.

It’s cool though, your guys rebuttal is really helping to reinforce my thoughts and opinion.

It doesn’t. You can do all sorts of other stuff, not that specific thing. MMOs offer a range of experiences for a range of players. You claim HoT offfers nothing for casuals but there are casuals in my guild enjoying it because they’re not focused on the meta. They’re doing other stuff. They’re learning the zones. They’re doing dynamic events, they’re farming flax, they’re doing the occassional meta if they happen to chance on it.

Harder core players will schedule what they do, in the way that my guild schedules guild missions. We get 20 people to guild missions most days, but we have over 200 people in the guild.

What you do in the new zones can be very casual. If you want to do something like dragon stand you can, within the parameters set for that.

fireflyry.7023

It doesn’t. You can do all sorts of other stuff, not that specific thing. MMOs offer a range of experiences for a range of players. You claim HoT offfers nothing for casuals but there are casuals in my guild enjoying it because they’re not focused on the meta. They’re doing other stuff. They’re learning the zones. They’re doing dynamic events, they’re farming flax, they’re doing the occassional meta if they happen to chance on it.

Harder core players will schedule what they do, in the way that my guild schedules guild missions. We get 20 people to guild missions most days, but we have over 200 people in the guild.

What you do in the new zones can be very casual. If you want to do something like dragon stand you can, within the parameters set for that.

Farming flax….woot.

That is awesome and it sounds like you have a great guild in regards to the embracing and encouragement of both vets and casuals but that incredibly subjective experience has little to do with regards to the over all reception of HoT as presented by the OP and the effect on the community as a whole.

I have “casual” guildies who love HoT. I have ten more who hate it….but that’s subjective. I guess I base my thoughts and opinion more on what I have seen in-game and observed by the community at large. If rebuttal is based on purely personal experience it’s bound to be cyclic and never ending as to you and your guild HoT might be the best thing since sliced bread.

According to the majority of feedback I’ve read it’s anything but.

Crap…just realized it’s you Vayne. Won’t respond again for obvious reasons, don’t want personal issues brought up here again and your pretty good at that. In saying you pretty much play this game all day every day. I’d be loving HoT too if I was in your shoes.

Coulter.2315

No no no, you cannot complain about not doing specific content then say “I refuse to play when that content is active.”

You can do anything else, I was explaining how to get specific map completion metas done.

Say you wanted to do specifically Claw of Jormag, someone tells you to go to Google and type in “GW2 World Boss Timer,” you then reply “Why should a game dictate the amount of hours I need to play to be successful?”

You are specifically wanting to do a meta, take a single evening in the week and do it… I’ve given you the tool and there will not be another way to do it. Either use the tool I handed you or sit and complain in ignorance.

Claw of Jormag doesn’t pop on your schedule, neither do the new metas – get a grip.

fireflyry.7023

No no no, you cannot complain about not doing specific content then say “I refuse to play when that content is active.”

You can do anything else, I was explaining how to get specific map completion metas done.

Say you wanted to do specifically Claw of Jormag, someone tells you to go to Google and type in “GW2 World Boss Timer,” you then reply “Why should a game dictate the amount of hours I need to play to be successful?”

You are specifically wanting to do a meta, take a single evening in the week and do it… I’ve given you the tool and there will not be another way to do it. Either use the tool I handed you or sit and complain in ignorance.

Claw of Jormag doesn’t pop on your schedule, neither do the new metas – get a grip.

One took a few minutes and there was never any pressure to do it, the other takes a two hour commitment with a high possibility of failure and dictates map freedom.

Get a grip?kk

Your way off tangent bro.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Yeah, and why wouldn’t you clean the bathroom with a toothbrush? What’s the problem? You use it to clean your teeth, don’t you? If you can clean one thing with it, you can also clean the other. Either use the tool or sit and complain in ignorance.

World bosses: an infinitesimally small part of the GW2 classic PvE experience and a waste of time that I don’t reserve any time for anyway. Never have, never will.

HoT map meta’s: a stupendously huge part of the HoT experience that you can’t ignore and be left feeling you got value for money.

(edited by Manasa Devi.7958)

Coulter.2315

One took a few minutes and there was never any pressure to do it, the other takes a two hour commitment with a high possibility of failure and dictates map freedom.

Get a grip?kk

A tangent is something which takes a point in an argument and focuses on expanding out from that, ignoring the initial discussion (like a tangent to a curve). ’You’re’ means ‘you are.’

You can join any of the metas near completion cutting down your required time, none of them actually need cost you 2hrs of your precious time logged into the forums. Use the timer I gave you.

The “map freedom” is 2 corridors and 3 rooms under Tarir, a single room in TD and 5 locations in DS. The VB canopy does not require the meta completion to access. I am assuming you really want “map completion” but since that is a selfish desire and “freedom” is good you’ve decided to argue that point instead.

You still need to get a grip, the game is not going to be structured around your life.

Manasa Devi.7958

the game is not going to be structured around your life.

The opposite is even more ridiculous. Too ridiculous for words. And yet that’s what we got.

Neither should be structured around either.

Vayne.8563

Get a grip?kk

A tangent is something which takes a point in an argument and focuses on expanding out from that, ignoring the initial discussion (like a tangent to a curve). ’You’re’ means ‘you are.’

You can join any of the metas near completion cutting down your required time, none of them actually need cost you 2hrs of your precious time logged into the forums. Use the timer I gave you.

The “map freedom” is 2 corridors and 3 rooms under Tarir, a single room in TD and 5 locations in DS. The VB canopy does not require the meta completion to access. I am assuming you really want “map completion” but since that is a selfish desire and “freedom” is good you’ve decided to argue that point instead.

You still need to get a grip, the game is not going to be structured around your life.

As an example, two of the four metas can be done without much prep time at all. Less than half an hour to log in, wait for and finish both the AB and TD meta.

People like to throw around the two hour word, but it really only applies to DS and even then 2 hours is the max time it can possibly take.

fireflyry.7023

Get a grip?kk

lol.

So your solution is a meta schedule in a thread discussing what put casuals off this game?

The opposite is even more ridiculous. Too ridiculous for words. And yet that’s what we got.

Perfect rebuttal and thank you so much for saving me the time.

Coulter.2315

You want to play your hobby game, your hobby game is a persistant thing which has to cater for hundreds of thousands of people, it does this by having cycles of events.

If you want to play a specific piece of the content of your hobby, make time to play your hobby. Your entire life does not need to bend to the game because it cycles the events, if you can’t get one now you can get it again in 2hrs or tomorrow or any time in the last 4 months… And the future 4 months.

You seem to be confusing a few hours chosen in a week to play the game with “structured my life around it.” Your argument really doesn’t make sense.

fireflyry.7023

You want to play your hobby game, your hobby game is a persistant thing which has to cater for hundreds of thousands of people, it does this by having cycles of events.

If you want to play a specific piece of the content of your hobby, make time to play your hobby. Your entire life does not need to bend to the game because it cycles the events, if you can’t get one now you can get it again in 2hrs or tomorrow or any time in the last 4 months… And the future 4 months.

You seem to be confusing a few hours chosen in a week to play the game with “structured my life around it.” Your argument really doesn’t make sense.

Your making excuses for crap mechanics that scare most casuals away from the content while justifying it because you have no issue. The thread seems to be based on the differential between the core content and HoT in respect to casual players, which you are presenting yourself as anything but.

If that’s the case kitten off, log in, and enjoy.

Pretty much non-issue for you and that’s awesome, but why take part in the discussion outside trolling?

Manasa Devi.7958

If I need to be playing at specific times, I need to apply structure to when I play. I don’t chose the hours I play in advance. I play when the mood strikes me, regardless of the position of the hands of the clock. And chances are if I’d have the desire to play some specific HoT content, I’d be out of luck. For example, if I’d have the desire to log on and play the day cycle in VB right now, I’d be SOL because it won’t restart for another 80 minutes. My chances of getting in at the start of that meta are atrocious if I don’t plan around it. Which I won’t, ever. Because it’s a kitten game.

Coulter.2315

Your making excuses for crap mechanics that scare most casuals away from the content while justifying it because you have no issue. The thread seems to be based on the differential between the core content and HoT in respect to casual players, which you are presenting yourself as anything but.

If that’s the case kitten off, log in, and enjoy.

Pretty much non-issue for you and that’s awesome, but why take part in the discussion outside trolling?

I am giving you a solution to your problem by pointing out the timer, I am explaining why the game isn’t structured around your life, I am showing the timer for events has existed before HoT (World boss trains being extremely casual friendly content I might add), I am pointing out you’ve been arguing here for 2hrs when you could have already solved your issue.

Have you tried thinking “I’d like to do AB this week some time,” then noticing its always available at 7pm then thinking “I’ll do AB on Thursday at 7pm.”

Problem solved, this is not casual or hardcore related.

fireflyry.7023

checks day planner

Actually we are good to go in 63 minutes.

Get a grip.