Unplayable Solo

Unplayable Solo

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Elstar.7864

Elstar.7864

Stopped playing when that jumping puzzle pre-expansion zone was introduced. Came here to forums checking what’s new in the expansion. So, more jumping puzzles and group-only open world content? Not worth buying, I guess.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Open world maps should be just that, open world.

Not sure why you think they aren’t
Areas of map blocked by ‘Vines’ reliant on map meta to proceed is why.

and if its blocked by a vine, for any reason, then its not OPEN, is it?

And yet other parts of the game prior to this are blocked by things, and people didn’t say much. There’s a waypoint in the Silverwastes you can’t get to, because it’s blocked by a gate, until an event is done.

There’s a jumping puzzle in Caledon Forest blocked by an event as well.

Yes no one said that the area under the Silverwastes isn’t the open world.

There were plenty of hero points that you couldn’t get unless you could stealth in untaken temples when the game launched.

And there’s an area in Metrica you can’t explore without doing an event either.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Stopped playing when that jumping puzzle pre-expansion zone was introduced. Came here to forums checking what’s new in the expansion. So, more jumping puzzles and group-only open world content? Not worth buying, I guess.

..or worth buying if you’re into that.

But that’s beside the point, since it’s not group-only content. Plenty you can do solo with only exotics. I know there is because I’m anti-social and I’m enjoying the jungle on my lonesome very much.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

..or worth buying if you’re into that.

But that’s beside the point, since it’s not group-only content. Plenty you can do solo with only exotics. I know there is because I’m anti-social and I’m enjoying the jungle on my lonesome very much.

If everyone just looked at the things they didn’t like in games to decide to buy … no one would ever buy any.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

It’s interesting that several of the “too difficult” threads answer the problem by suggesting that players ally with large groups in order to do the content successfully. That’s really not the answer for a contemporary MMO where the solo player is a large and growing piece of the player pie. HoT is definitely not solo friendly and that is a problem that will need to be addressed. It’s doable solo, but it’s not fun.

Unplayable Solo

Obtena.7952

What is fun is subjective. I have the MOST fun trying to figure out how much of HoT I COULD solo … I was pleasantly surprised. I think it’s a fallacy to claim contemporary MMO is catering more to the solo player AND that GW2 or even HoT doesn’t do that.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

It’s interesting that several of the “too difficult” threads answer the problem by suggesting that players ally with large groups in order to do the content successfully. That’s really not the answer for a contemporary MMO where the solo player is a large and growing piece of the player pie. HoT is definitely not solo friendly and that is a problem that will need to be addressed. It’s doable solo, but it’s not fun.

I’m going to sound so white knight right now it makes me sick but…. I want to voice a contrary opinion to the highlighted bits. I get where you’re coming from. I felt the same months ago. But after spending a lot of time in the jungle and getting to know it, I was surprised to find it both fun and friendly enough for a solitary player, even one who plays by mashing buttons. There are plenty of things you can do alone, and some things you need to do with others, which also describes central Tyria.

I think somehow an expectation got started around HOT (and continues to be reinforced) that you have to fight your way through the jungle. There have been statements in these forums that you can’t “skip content the way you do in central.”
This isn’t true fortunately – it would be very tedious if fighting was the only choice.

With a teleport and three stealth options on my mes, plus having completed almost all the masteries, there are no shortage of means for travelling fast around the jungle without getting bogged down in combat all the time. You can and should pick your fights. I’m sure Sun Tzu would agree.

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

But there are things you can do in the jungle solo and there have ALWAYS been things you can’t solo in Guild Wars 2. I don’t think most people could solo temple events in Orr. I don’t think most people can solo the Silverwastes, you can do some events, but you definitely can’t solo the meta or the vinewrath. You can’t solo the Karka Queen or Tequatl or Triple Trouble. I doubt most people could solo the Claw of Jormag.

There have always been things people can’t solo in the open world. Hot really is that much different.

I never heard anyone complaining that you can’t solo the meta event in the Silverwastes, or that you can’t solo your way to Tier 6 in Dry Top.

The amount of stuff you can solo is quite large. Let’s take the hero point situation. If you solo all the hero points in core Tyria, you only need a handful to get your elite specialization up and running.

In VB alone, there are at least a half a dozen soloable hero points I can think of. You don’t NEED to do the others ones, but you know, it’s like getting a temple hero point in Orr. You wait until people do it and you get your hero point. It’s not really much different at all, with the exception that you can get people at any time. You don’t have to wait for the event to be up.

This whole you can’t solo the new zones because you can’t solo everything has been a fallacy since launch. I’m not sure why people think the new zone can’t be soloed, when plenty of people have already claimed they solo it. Including some self-proclaimed casuals.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

It’s interesting that several of the “too difficult” threads answer the problem by suggesting that players ally with large groups in order to do the content successfully. That’s really not the answer

erm.. it’s totally the answer.
Solo until you can’t then get help.
As everyone has different solo success it works by being an on-demand method of getting the help YOU need when YOU need it.

As to fun.. well that’s subjective but if you’re making it more difficult for yourself by not getting the help you need when you need it.. you’re just making it less fun for yourself.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Maybe it’s because telling players to get better, as well as giving advice on how to do that, gets shrugged off as they just want the game nerfed to their level.

HoT is most definitely solo friendly at about the same level as Orr.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

It’s not hard and it’s soloable. Everyone stating something different is just a bad casual player, sorry, but that’s a fact.

I come from a long gaming history back in the 80ies and if a game was unbeatable – which was actually pretty common (who remembers the infamous ‘Nintendo difficulty’?) – it was me who was bad and not the game. It was always me.

Today we have a vise-versa situation: people feel eligible to beat everything – despite being a horribly bad player who doesn’t care about mechanics etc. They can do that of course, but don’t kittening dare to complain about the game. The industry is going the downspiral since gaming became that popular, anyways. Don’t destroy it completely.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Trepidation Lost.3469

Trepidation Lost.3469

im on 30 wins out of 40 so ‘unplayable’

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I think it will still be nerfed further down the line

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Dlarnkk.1068

Dlarnkk.1068

Inc a famous slogan,

‘Please nerf Tequalt. Apparently I need friends to beat him, and I don’t wants friends! I wanna look cool, and beat the crap out of him with my mesmer!’

[ People still forget this is a MMO, and not singleplayer game.]

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Inc a famous slogan,

‘Please nerf Tequalt. Apparently I need friends to beat him, and I don’t wants friends! I wanna look cool, and beat the crap out of him with my mesmer!’

And yet, there are things that you should be able to solo yet aren’t.
I completely agree on events, it’s a MMO, so events that will effect other players can have a requirement to have a need of those other players.
But there are also things that will only affect Me. Those should be soloable. Think Hero Points, Mastery Points, Personal Stories (both original and living ones) and achievements that are bound to those stories.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: battledrone.8315

battledrone.8315

And yet other parts of the game prior to this are blocked by things, and people didn’t say much. There’s a waypoint in the Silverwastes you can’t get to, because it’s blocked by a gate, until an event is done.

There were plenty of hero points that you couldn’t get unless you could stealth in untaken temples when the game launched.

weird, i got 100% in both metrica and caledon, so they couldnt be that hard
SW and DT are horrible zones, and i dont go there at all, after getting 100% on my main ranger

Unplayable Solo

battledrone.8315

Inc a famous slogan,

if i live in a city, do i have to shake hands with every person on the street?
this is the same

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

weird, i got 100% in both metrica and caledon, so they couldnt be that hard
SW and DT are horrible zones, and i dont go there at all, after getting 100% on my main ranger

I said there was an area you can’t explore, which absolutely has nothing at all to do with map completion.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Inc a famous slogan,

this is the same

No but your property tax will be relative to the area you reside in….

(Read: even though you may not do anything with your neighbors they still have an impact on your daily life)

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

Inc a famous slogan,

this is the same

(Read: even though you may not do anything with your neighbors they still have an impact on your daily life)

And your city isn’t the question. I’m 100% sure in a war zone that wouldn’t be the case. We’re not in our city but in enemy territory with makeshift camps. We didn’t settle or explore this area. In such cases, people do depend on each other to stay alive.

Unplayable Solo

battledrone.8315

Inc a famous slogan,

this is the same

And your city isn’t the question. I’m 100% sure in a war zone that wouldn’t be the case. We’re not in our city but in enemy territory with makeshift camps. We didn’t settle or explore this area. In such cases, people do depend on each other to stay alive.

well they have have to do without me , i just uninstalled
better to stop now, before the frustration ruins the rest of the experience
core tyria was one of the best mmos ive ever played, too bad they couldnt make more of that

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

Inc a famous slogan,

this is the same

core tyria was one of the best mmos ive ever played, too bad they couldnt make more of that

Core Tyria was awesome but the game had kitten. That is core Tyria, everywhere pretty much, was braindead easy. I mean really easy. The idea that harder content was lacking is what was provided.

If you can’t do that content, then sure, you made the right choice. But if they just added more like core Tyria they’d have wasted an opportunity to expand the game, which is what an expansion should do.

My suspicion is the next expansion will be very different.

Unplayable Solo

battledrone.8315

Inc a famous slogan,

this is the same

Core Tyria was awesome but the game had kitten. That is core Tyria, everywhere pretty much, was braindead easy. I mean really easy. The idea that harder content was lacking is what was provided.

If you can’t do that content, then sure, you made the right choice. But if they just added more like core Tyria they’d have wasted an opportunity to expand the game, which is what an expansion should do.

it prolly will, but too little, too late
3 years , and they only made 2 new hearts
i could prolly do it, if i really had to
if i wanted to put in the hours of work and frustrations
id rather do that in a game, where i get some actual progress for my commitment

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

Inc a famous slogan,

this is the same

Anet even said before launch, hearts were never meant to be main content. They didn’t even exist till the third beta. The purpose of hearts is to keep people in areas where dynamic events spawn. They had to add them, because they noticed people just running by stuff and not stopping because they didn’t have a star on their map.

Hearts, for the most part, are the most boring, mind-numbing content you can put in an MMO. Kill these guys, water these plants, collect these things. A couple of them, very few, had a bit of depth but if that’s the kind of thing you’re looking for, I’m okay with you not liking the game.

Because more hearts would only make me groan…unless they did them completely differently than the first hearts.

If hearts is your idea of content, good luck finding any MMO that appeals to you after you hit level cap.

Unplayable Solo

battledrone.8315

Inc a famous slogan,

this is the same

Anet even said before launch, hearts were never meant to be main content. They didn’t even exist till the third beta. The purpose of hearts is to keep people in areas where dynamic events spawn. They had to add them, because they noticed people just running by stuff and not stopping because they didn’t have a star on their map.

Hearts, for the most part, are the most boring, mind-numbing content you can put in an MMO. Kill these guys, water these plants, collect these things. A couple of them, very few, had a bit of depth but if that’s the kind of thing you’re looking for, I’m okay with you not liking the game.

Because more hearts would only make me groan…unless they did them completely differently than the first hearts.

If hearts is your idea of content, good luck finding any MMO that appeals to you after you hit level cap.

you hate 95% of this game, but still claim, that i was in the wrong place?
good luck with that..youre gonna need it
yep , i drop most mmos way before end game..or rather end grind
i dont wanna dig through a ton of unwanted pixels, just to get the few, that i actually want

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Inc a famous slogan,

this is the same

i dont wanna dig through a ton of unwanted pixels, just to get the few, that i actually want

… you really think Hearts are 95% of the game?

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

Inc a famous slogan,

this is the same

I don’t hate anything in this game. I don’t enjoy parts of the game. However, I do enjoy dungeons on occasion. I do enjoy fractals on occasion. I do enjoy WvW on occassion. So what don’t I like? The PvP season and Raids? lol

I think you need to learn some percentages, mate. Because I like probably 80% of the game from my vantage point.

I don’t think MMOs are for you at all. And most of them aren’t for me either. This one, fortunately is.

Unplayable Solo

Obtena.7952

Inc a famous slogan,

this is the same

There is some interesting truth … You drop most MMO’s, yet you’re complaining about how this one works? Obviously you shouldn’t be playing them … or imposing your ideas of how they should work on the regulars if you admittedly aren’t someone that enjoys them in the first place. Not sure why anyone should take anything you say seriously if you can’t even hold on long enough to experience most of what MMO’s offer.

Unplayable Solo

battledrone.8315

Inc a famous slogan,

this is the same

I don’t hate anything in this game. I don’t enjoy parts of the game. However, I do enjoy dungeons on occasion. I do enjoy fractals on occasion. I do enjoy WvW on occassion. So what don’t I like? The PvP season and Raids? lol

I think you need to learn some percentages, mate. Because I like probably 80% of the game from my vantage point.

I don’t think MMOs are for you at all. And most of them aren’t for me either. This one, fortunately is.

clearly not for me
subbed to wow for over 5 years , all expansions , 100s of characters( yes i just delete them)
2 lifetime subs in STO
currently subbed, and raiding in dcuo
ive been playing mmos since 2006 , but i agree , that most of them Arent for me
no big deal , most of them Are niche products anyway
this one wasnt

Unplayable Solo

battledrone.8315

Inc a famous slogan,

this is the same

There is some interesting truth … You drop most MMO’s, yet you’re complaining about how this one works? Obviously you shouldn’t be playing them … or imposing your ideas of how they should work on the regulars if you admittedly aren’t someone that enjoys them in the first place. Not sure why anyone should take anything you say seriously if you can’t even hold on long enough to experience most of what MMO’s offer.

when a game stops being fun, i stop playing it
core tyria was , for the most parts, a very enjoyable experience
if they had more of that they would have kept me as a paying customer
i dont have to eat the entire meal, to figure out, if i like the taste
if the first bite is awful, who would stay and finish all? only a starving, or very cheap person would do that
it seems to me, that most of those, who like hot, dont like core tyria
why did you slug through gameplay, that you hate?
according to you, they didnt have any challenging end game, so what was the point?

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

Inc a famous slogan,

this is the same

if the first bite is awful, who would stay and finish all? only a starving, or very cheap person would do that
according to you, they didnt have any challenging end game, so what was the point?

I never said I didn’t like core Tyria. I only said I was looking for something more and different. No matter how much I like steak, eventually I’m going to want some seafood or some chicken. Something different. And not just something with a different skin.

Core Tyria was a great appetizer, but for many people, it wasn’t a meal. It lacked depth. HoT provides the rest of the meal.

Not such a great analogy after all really.

Unplayable Solo

battledrone.8315

Inc a famous slogan,

this is the same

I never said I didn’t like core Tyria. I only said I was looking for something more and different. No matter how much I like steak, eventually I’m going to want some seafood or some chicken. Something different. And not just something with a different skin.

Core Tyria was a great appetizer, but for many people, it wasn’t a meal. It lacked depth. HoT provides the rest of the meal.

“hearts are the most boring, mind numbing content in an mmo”
your own words, that doesnt like " a great appetizer" to me
if i dont like the levelling content, i will dump the game in 5 mins flat
but thats just me, i only play games, that i actually like

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

Inc a famous slogan,

this is the same

“hearts are the most boring, mind numbing content in an mmo”
your own words, that doesnt like " a great appetizer" to me
if i dont like the levelling content, i will dump the game in 5 mins flat
but thats just me, i only play games, that i actually like

If you think hearts are what the core game is about, you haven’t paid attention to the core game. Do you realize you can do most hearts without ever even doing the hearts? I just do dynamic events, until I fill in the hearts incidentally.

I like the dynamic events, what the game was supposed to be about. What Anet has repeatedly said the game was centered around. Everything about this game is about dynamic events.

As I said earlier, hearts were added later. They’re not part of the original plan and they’re something you do once and never have to do again on each character. Dynamic events repeat.

However the core game had personal story, it had dynamic events, it had jumping puzzles, it had mini dungeons, it had exploration and the hearts didn’t take up enough time to even think about. They got done as I was doing other stuff. I run through an area, and I repair a couple of cages. No sweat. Next time I’m through, I do another couple of cages. Eventually it’ll get done without me focusing on it at all.

Oh look a DE. I can do the DE and look the heart is done. Part of the core game allowed you to complete hearts without even playing them. Thus I like the core game.

Do you know why you don’t think HoT is soloable? Because you think the core game is all about hearts the easiest content. You’re so focused on hearts you used it as an example for something they didn’t add in the new content.

That’s why you think the game isn’t soloable. You haven’t played it yet. You’ve played hearts.

The bit added incidentally at the end to get people to where events are.

Saying hearts are boring doesn’t make the core game less enjoyable because hearts can pretty much be ignored. Eventually most of them do themselves.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

When the game came out there was only core Tyria. Over the next three years people played it, completed it and then did it all over again because that’s all there was.
Now there’s something different and new and people are saying they prefer it to the old, now boring maps and content. That doesn’t mean they hated it back then, just that when comparing the two things, the new maps and new content are better.

There wasn’t any challenging end game. Still isn’t. There was Orr and farming for gold and karma. Now there’s 4 new meta’s to farm plus Silverwastes. Asking what’s the point of anything in an MMO is missing the point of games. They’re meant to be fun, not have a point.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Unplayable Solo

Obtena.7952

Inc a famous slogan,

this is the same

That’s clear … but your own self-admitted history history suggests you don’t enjoy what MMO’s have to offer in the first place. Kind of begs the question on how relevant your views are for how MMO’s should work.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

That is true in a general sense, but how Squads work in GW2, imo one would have to be stubborn not to take advantage. There is no invite, if a slot is open you can join in. You won’t be micromanaged, or called out, but you can also take advantage of group play abilities. Most other games you would join a small group that expects more from you and will call you on it, that intimidates people and makes many solo, well imo. Squads are like the lowest stress, come and go as you please group feature one could ask for. It’s actually one of the games most awesome features. Perhaps if squads were a mmo staple, solo play wouldn’t be such a big thing. But when I do solo without my buds, I’m often looking at squads, so it is ironically a solo’ish type feature to get you grouped up and working towards a common goal.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: KINGRPG.3492

KINGRPG.3492

After playing Guild Wars since the first series, I saw a lot. Many people disagree the truth, not look into the issue.

Unfortunately, Someone see other people as enemies or GW2 haters. The haters that tried to save and rescue GW2 your favorite game.

Human beings are the most selfish of all… even when someone dies. you shed tears only because they are no more around to provide you with whatever they had been for so long. I don’t want to be like that. You can dislike me (the Hater with 28,000 AP) to give you peace of mind.

Sorry for my beginner English / http://www.kingrpg.net My Blog

(edited by KINGRPG.3492)

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

I don’t get it. What game are we comparing Gw2 to So many other games are more solo unfriendly. The fact that in gw2 you don’t need a dedicated healer since everyone is capable of healing themselves.

Most group events are gear for 5 people and only start to scale up once the number is met.

Group happens organically and don’t require you to actually join a group or squad.

More vets make hot a little harder. Red circles make have changed but are easily avoided if you know what to look for.

One issue people maybe overlooking is your system. If you’re not getting 30 fps in Hot maps you just mulch for the Mordrem. have low ram doesn’t help with the memory leak issue. All in all GW2 is more solo friendly than a lot of other MMORPGs.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

(edited by Serraphin Storm.2369)

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

MMOs are multiplayer, yes. And I’m not one of those who subscribes to the idea that HoT’s design is necessarily solo unfriendly. However, I see this as an issue of personal preference and I don’t think it’s unreasonable for players to have the expectation that personal objectives such as HP/MP challenges be primarily solo content. Indeed, I think that’s been the industry-wide trend for awhile now as the makers of MMOs have long since recognized that “hardcore” play doesn’t appeal to a mass market audience.

Not that HoT is “hardcore”, but what we’re really talking about is our preference with regard to the balance of group vs. solo content. For me personally, I enjoy the HoT maps a lot more than the core maps. But I can’t expect everyone to agree.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I don’t think it’s unreasonable for players to have the expectation that personal objectives such as HP/MP challenges be primarily solo content.

And what is the percentage of HP that can be soloed in HOT? Hit, it’s more than 60%. So how are they not primarily solo?

See people are not complaining that they are not primarily solo content, they are complaining that they are not entirely solo content. Key difference.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

Inc a famous slogan,

this is the same

I was always under the impression that the “hearts” were GW2’s version of quests that you find in other MMOs (WoW, ESO, etc.), which essentially act as a way to level up your character and keep you busy. What would GW2 be like without hearts, then? Just group events, dungeons, and personal story/Living World? That would be awfully boring. If hearts were added in later, then it was obviously meant to stand in as “quests” and to give more options for gamers.

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I was always under the impression that the “hearts” were GW2’s version of quests that you find in other MMOs (WoW, ESO, etc.), which essentially act as a way to level up your character and keep you busy.

Events were meant to be the usual quests whereas the personal story was meant to be the storyline quests. Usually there are only a few main story quests per zone in MMOs, surrounded by the multitudes of the generic fetch/kill quests. ArenaNet wanted to separate that, allowing you to play through just the core story while doing whatever else you wanted to level.

Under the original design, GW2 was actually meant to be quite heavy on the side of exploration, and as shown by the original beta, was balanced for gamers much like HoT. If you haven’t noticed, a lot of the original events have NPCs calling for help to direct you. Back in alpha, they didn’t plan on having much of a UI. PoIs weren’t originally visible for example, but that was found to be tedious, going back to the map scraping of GW1. More importantly, there was no event tracker or even markers for them, but they found that people wouldn’t bother with them if they weren’t told to. The conditioning from other MMOs was likely too strong, where all that stuff is faked and no matter what you do, it doesn’t change; but here, it was real. Similarly, people would skip events and attempt to play through the only quest line available, the personal story. Hearts were added for the sole reason to get people to move throughout the world. They were meant to act like quest hubs, but for events, and they essentially only exist for the traditional MMO players. At the same time, scouts were added to direct people towards hearts. Also, they were very early on planning on having no levels, but it just felt odd.

(edited by Healix.5819)

Unplayable Solo

Obtena.7952

Inc a famous slogan,

this is the same

I was always under the impression that the “hearts” were GW2’s version of quests that you find in other MMOs (WoW, ESO, etc.), which essentially act as a way to level up your character and keep you busy. What would GW2 be like without hearts, then? Just group events, dungeons, and personal story/Living World? That would be awfully boring. If hearts were added in later, then it was obviously meant to stand in as “quests” and to give more options for gamers.

That might indeed be your impression. To say that’s aligned to the intend is a different story. I don’t think it’s realistic to say GW2 would be boring if hearts didn’t exist because as Vayne already outlined, you can do most of them by not even consciously trying to do them. he already also outlined why hearts were added … to keep players in the zones while timed events occurred.

Unplayable Solo

Moyayuki.3619

Inc a famous slogan,

this is the same

That might indeed be your impression. To say that’s aligned to the intend is a different story. I don’t think it’s realistic to say GW2 would be boring if hearts didn’t exist because as Vayne already outlined, you can do most of them by not even consciously trying to do them. he already also outlined why hearts were added … to keep players in the zones while timed events occurred.

For me, I would be bored if there were no hearts, because that would only leave the endlessly repeating events and world bosses. I like having the choice of leveling via “quests” that are done-once-and-done (which Personal Story and Living World are as well), as it’s something to keep me busy and give XP without having to repeat the same event over and over. It would get stale, honestly.

But, of course, to each their own. If someone loves to do the map/world events, while at the same time completing the hearts that they don’t care as much about, that choice is theirs. I’d argue that the rewards for completing a map are not amazing enough to really penalize people who don’t care for it (unless they want the 100% world completion rewards, that is). Many better items can be obtained in other game modes (dungeons, PvP, WvW, etc.). So there is an element of choice.

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Inc a famous slogan,

this is the same

For me, I would be bored if there were no hearts, because that would only leave the endlessly repeating events and world bosses. I like having the choice of leveling via “quests” that are done-once-and-done (which Personal Story and Living World are as well), as it’s something to keep me busy and give XP without having to repeat the same event over and over. It would get stale, honestly.

But, of course, to each their own. If someone loves to do the map/world events, while at the same time completing the hearts that they don’t care as much about, that choice is theirs. I’d argue that the rewards for completing a map are not amazing enough to really penalize people who don’t care for it (unless they want the 100% world completion rewards, that is). Many better items can be obtained in other game modes (dungeons, PvP, WvW, etc.). So there is an element of choice.

You wouldnt have to repeat the same events over and over, even if there were no hearts.

Unplayable Solo

Vayne.8563

Inc a famous slogan,

this is the same

Dynamic events are quests. Think about it.

You go to a place and there’s a dolyak to escort from point A to point b. On the way it’s attacked. What’s that if not an escort quest?

You go to a place and it’s being attacked by centaurs. You’re required to defend it. What’s that if not a defense quest?

There are dynamic events that require you to gather.

But the difference is, dynamic events are active, not static. They chain. They can even lead to different events. Dynamic event ARE quests. They are just quests that come to you. That’s Anet’s original idea of a living world. They talked about it endlessly.

Have you been to Orr? There are no hearts in Orr, but most people don’t find it boring.

And no most dynamic events are not group events. Hearts were NOT added in to give more options to gamers. I know this because Anet told us this. They had test players that simply ran by events, because they were so used to other games, they REQUIRED a marker on their map to stop and look at something.

I mean to me, I’d rather walk around in a world and see a field burning and decide to help out than have a marker on my map that can’t possibly exist in the game world itself, to tell me stop and do stuff here.

Dynamic events are better than hearts because they scale based on the number of players. They’re better than hearts because you can come across them at different stages of their progression. Because they can chain. Because they can have pass fail things.

As it turns out, hearts are okay, because they compliment what Anet said, but compared to dynamic events, they’re dull. And when you’re doing world completion on multiple characters they’re just a chore to get through.

Unplayable Solo

Obtena.7952

Inc a famous slogan,

this is the same

Except you wouldn’t be repeating events over and over again … you level, you go to different maps appropriate for your level, you do different quests in each one. You make it sound like the ONLY thing to do is super-fun, one-timer hearts and boring, repeatable quests. That’s a very shallow and misunderstood view of what the game offers.

The REAL difference between Events and Hearts is that Hearts you can only do once on your timetable; Events happen periodically. From a conceptual point of view, it’s the same kinds of activities so neither can be less boring than the other if you do each one once. I will give you this: hearts are a BIG upgrade from the typical quests you get in other MMOs that make you run around, do something, then go back for reward. That is definitely lekittenous, but I’m not certain it changes the boring level compared to Events.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Unplayable Solo

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Hearts have been replaced in high-level zones with repeatable large-area meta events that fill the same role of hearts in low-level zones.

Unplayable Solo

Moyayuki.3619

Hearts have been replaced in high-level zones with repeatable large-area meta events that fill the same role of hearts in low-level zones.

I guess that I just don’t find any enjoyment in events that constantly repeat, which makes it so I end up doing the same things over and over again on a single toon. I am not arguing against dynamic events (and now we really are derailing this thread); I merely like the fact that events and hearts co-exist to give players options on how they want to level up/gain XP and busy themselves.

Unplayable Solo

Obtena.7952

Put it this way … if you don’t repeat periodic events, then they are exactly like hearts, so the idea that Events aren’t an option for someone that likes doing hearts or aren’t an option for the people that think hearts is better than events is not sensible.