Jumping Feedback Thread

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Find a guild, team with a mesmer, get some portals. I’ve been portaling the few people in my guild who don’t like jumping all day.

It’s silly to take something out of a game that tons of people like because some people don’t. The solution is already in game.

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

I think the new content is fantastic. I’m sorry you can’t play, but I’m having a fantastic time. There are plenty of unique events and such in the new content and the story which require little to no jumping skill.

The Zepherites were known for the sun dash, assisted leap, lighting jump in the cliffs. Did you really expect all their aspects to not be included in their destruction of their ships? After the crash all the aspects were thrown all over the map, so it makes sense they are there.

GW2 did a great job of making a unique zone and incorporating those aspects into it.

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

Then please let me clarify my position, so there won’t be further confusion.

My original post first stated my dissatisfaction with the amount of jumping in the game.(Not in line with the flavor of a high fantasy MMO, in my opinion.) But mostly jumping is not required to progress in the game, so that isn’t such a big issue.

The second part of my original post expressed dissatisfaction with the use of the Zephyrite skills, which I find awkward to use.(on top of the fact that jumping is hard for me) I think that they clutter up the game mechanics, and are made needlessly difficult by an arbitrary time out, and the fact that they block your weapons skills. If you want us to temporarily replace one of our skills on the skill bar, that wouldn’t be as bad.(IMO) In fact, GW1 did this on several occasions. The fact that these Zephyrite skills are required to participate in Living Story is a sore point for me. And I find the intrusion of platformer game type stuff into a high fantasy MMO distasteful, needlessly complicated, and against the spirit and flavor of a high fantasy game. This isn’t what I expected when I bought a high fantasy MMO, based(supposedly) on Guild Wars.(Which did not use jumping as a game mechanic. – It was an emote.) So I really don’t want to have to be required use these new, awkward, tacked-on skills to progress in what I consider to be a mainstream part of the game.(Living Story)

If you like and enjoy the Zephyrite skills, great. But I would rather they please use them for jumping puzzles, or special achievements, or other non-required content.(Most certainly not as a required activity to progress in the Living Story.)

(edited by Elden Arnaas.4870)

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Dice Dragon.4326

Dice Dragon.4326

I’ll repeat myself..

“Having scars + scar tissue on my hand/ fingers jumping is near impossible. Having met players with Rheumatism and some with muscular disease, I’d like to thank Anet for excluding a zone once again. Fractals can not to be done, and now this zone.

Yes, jumping can be fun indeed (no sarcasm there)."

Not trying to be ableist here,

but thats a bad arguement. Yes some content is hard for you because you have a disability, But just like if you are colorblind you cant be a pilot, sometimes you just cant do everything unless you find a unique work around. if you can survive the combat, im sure you can do fine in the jump sections of this game tbh.

its press 1 and move over, or press 2 then 2 again, or press 3 and aim then click. like, are these really to much for you? if not im having trouble seeing you stack in dungeons, or even dodge/time properly in combat which are high stress enviroments.

As some one who is bared from being a pilot and other proffessions due to my eye sight, you just gotta take things in stride.

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

One thing I absolutely hate about the new area is the limited duration on the crystal skills. It makes exploring, which I enjoy, an annoyance. I hate that I can’t spare a few seconds to take in my surroundings after making an assisted jump. I’ve been spending an inordinate amount of time backtracking to crystals to start over on some climb or other.

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: There is not enough jumping in the game. – It is not a jumping game. It is a high fantasy MMO. The sequel of Guild Wars, which did not have jumping as a game mechanic.

re: And yet you complain… – About excessive required jumping in a high fantasy MMO – You bet I do. This isn’t a platformer.

re: Congratulations, you gave up. Weak. – I didn’t say I gave up. You might do us the courtesy of reading the thread before posting.

(edited by Elden Arnaas.4870)

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

One thing I absolutely hate about the new area is the limited duration on the crystal skills. It makes exploring, which I enjoy, an annoyance. I hate that I can’t spare a few seconds to take in my surroundings after making an assisted jump. I’ve been spending an inordinate amount of time backtracking to crystals to start over on some climb or other.

Ugh, yeah… it’s not enough that you have to use those skills, they have to go and do that as well? They didn’t have such a short timer before, right? I don’t remember any timer before.

Elyl Jrend

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Elden Arnaas.4870

There wasn’t a timer before, it was a set number of uses.

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Omar Aschi Popp.7496

Omar Aschi Popp.7496

I think the new content is fantastic. I’m sorry you can’t play, but I’m having a fantastic time. There are plenty of unique events and such in the new content and the story which require little to no jumping skill.

The Zepherites were known for the sun dash, assisted leap, lighting jump in the cliffs. Did you really expect all their aspects to not be included in their destruction of their ships? After the crash all the aspects were thrown all over the map, so it makes sense they are there.

GW2 did a great job of making a unique zone and incorporating those aspects into it.

I expected them to die.

Every last one.

Also I think it’s pretty stupid you assume I, a)don’t enjoy jumping puzzles, and b) can’t play the content.

At worst I’m unwilling to play the content, especially when all I’m getting out of the monotonous mediocre tedium is garbage. Aside food recipes, not a single S2 item drop or GS item I would even touch so far.

I kittening love jp’s. But you know what, I get a chest at the end of those and -this is the best part- they ARE a designated mini-game with the explicit purpose of being MarioMk19. Not autistic landscape design. Can’t I just stroll through the kittening Desert? THE MAP SHOULDN’T BE A kittenING JUMPING PUZZLE!

The crashed zephyr, that, could have been the jp. Sorry, but I came to see the Magumma, not to see this.
Hah! “Oh plzplzplz Omar, help me and my overbearing lez gf solve mystery and save lives!”

“…uhh, shi- you know, I think I left my forge on.”
“Better go back before I burn down Claypool…”
“Let me just get this cactus salad reci- I’ll see you around… Yeah, k.”
“Oh, my carrier pigeon number?… uhh, I, oh yeah he got killed. Charr. Yesterday.”

List of people whose posts speak on my behalf:
Lunar Sunset.8742
Rogue.7856

(edited by Omar Aschi Popp.7496)

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: SimBilly.8047

SimBilly.8047

My problem isn’t the jumping skills – I actually enjoy the Aspect powers; the issue for me is the new ‘feature’ of having the skills time out on you instead of lasting for a certain number of jumps the way they used to. That is just infuriating.

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Omar Aschi Popp.7496

Omar Aschi Popp.7496

I think it should be said that I don’t think any of the new content is bad, it’s just, we didn’t get a new zone(ie map), we got a giant interactive JP. We didn’t get new gear items, we got skins.

“No adventure is complete without rewards! "
My only reward was getting all my recipes.
This is my grand adventure.
I risk my life for salad.

I hope it’s delish. Also I might enjoy more stuff as they roll it out into the season, but you know what they say about first impressions…

List of people whose posts speak on my behalf:
Lunar Sunset.8742
Rogue.7856

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Claudius.5381

Claudius.5381

Having lived more than 50 years I have to admit that my reflexes and my ability to learn new “muscle memory” skills are more limited now than they were 30 years ago. But up to now I could manage. I could even hold my own in the Labyrinth Cliffs. But I never finished timed jumping puzzles (I have my son for those achievements). And these timed crystals are a huge problem for me. Can’t we have the old kind with 10 uses back, please? That way I can at least take my time with each jump. I need it

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Raenzjar.4210

Raenzjar.4210

Dice Dragon, no offense taken.

“you just gotta take things in stride.”

I totally agree on that one.

Currently I’ve got like 10 jp’s
Fractals at level 2

Only recently have I gotten 100% map completion. I play since the days of yonder, when 100 gems were like 20-25 silver, to add a time frame.

I truly love it when I see friendly portal popping mesmer announcing in mapchat. Any map for that matter. It always gives me a smile.

I do not take these portals as I’d like to try stuff like jumping puzzels myself, first.

whenever I feel like doing them. Which is not oft.

Mostly because I prefer to enjoy my personal quality gaming time, instead of loading heaps of frustration. And, as you and I both know, GW2 provides heaps of other content also. Easy choice for me, until now.

Having gone to the new zone, and having ‘jumped around’ I am now at the position I can not progress any further, due to my “limitations”.

Mine are relatively mild, compared to those whom I’ve met in game and talked about the jumping issues we encountered a couple of times. In a constructive manner.
Peers sharing tips on how to do them best, stuff like that.

My scars directly influences my motorics; like moving my mouse and buttons. I pleasantly main a ranger, an LB Archer if you will, mainly because of that. My char can stand still, mostly; I’ll doubletab forward and pop a Healing Spring rather easy.

Fractals I can not do easily, and now I can not enjoy new content again. That’s quite a big chunk of game content, right there.

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

It’s new “Living Story”, which is about fighting evil, not jumping around like Mario. Since when is platform jumping a part of high fantasy MMO’s?

What a bullkitten.
If you can’t do that why don’t you flame about that you have to press w,a,s,d to move? Isn’t that hard too?
AN could put us on a train that travels though everymap then. So you can press 1 and get everything you want.
Seriously can someone make a video and show how ""HARD"" it is to do the new personal story? It’s so hard to press 1 AND w??

I don’t WASD. I cannot. I have a functional thumb and a somewhat functional index finger on my left hand. I mouse move and use that single finger for skills and my limited dodge ability. I have 11 level 80s and rank 160 so ish in limited WVW. I did “manage” to play the game. And spend money. I was as much a “consumer” of this game as you are.

I have not completed the map because of mandatory JPs for Vistas. And, everyone told me map completion was optional. Fine. I’ve missed out on all JP achievements and other unrelated achievements that were, for some reason, placed in JPs. Everyone told me it was all optional. Fine.

I did not do SAB, 4 winds, or any other platforming content. Again.. it is optional. Fine.

Ok, now an entire zone is closed to me. All content related to it closed. It is past “optional” unless you mean optional as in, “Don’t play GW2” Well, I guess that is the message ANET is sending after all. They have gone from a simple “Not every activity is suitable for every playstyle” to enforcing those formerly optional activities onto mainstream play and every playstyle. If you don’t platform, don’t expect to play GW2. That was not the case till now.

Every day of my life with RA is a struggle to do “simple” things. Open a can. Get something out of a pocket. Cook. Button a blouse. I do things because I HAVE to. This game is entertainment. Do not tell me I should struggle with a disability doing activities that are incredibly frustrating and unenjoyable to be.. “entertained”.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: yksdoris.2194

yksdoris.2194

Dice Dragon, no offense taken.

“you just gotta take things in stride.”

I totally agree on that one.

Currently I’ve got like 10 jp’s
Fractals at level 2

Only recently have I gotten 100% map completion. I play since the days of yonder, when 100 gems were like 20-25 silver, to add a time frame.

I truly love it when I see friendly portal popping mesmer announcing in mapchat. Any map for that matter. It always gives me a smile.

I do not take these portals as I’d like to try stuff like jumping puzzels myself, first.

whenever I feel like doing them. Which is not oft.

Mostly because I prefer to enjoy my personal quality gaming time, instead of loading heaps of frustration. And, as you and I both know, GW2 provides heaps of other content also. Easy choice for me, until now.

Having gone to the new zone, and having ‘jumped around’ I am now at the position I can not progress any further, due to my “limitations”.

Mine are relatively mild, compared to those whom I’ve met in game and talked about the jumping issues we encountered a couple of times. In a constructive manner.
Peers sharing tips on how to do them best, stuff like that.

My scars directly influences my motorics; like moving my mouse and buttons. I pleasantly main a ranger, an LB Archer if you will, mainly because of that. My char can stand still, mostly; I’ll doubletab forward and pop a Healing Spring rather easy.

Fractals I can not do easily, and now I can not enjoy new content again. That’s quite a big chunk of game content, right there.

I think part of the problem is that you can’t advance the story without doing the jumping. Another part of the problem is that the aspect boosts are timed, so if you don’t move fast enough – guess what? you’ll NEVER finish that bit, thus you’ll never get the full experience that LS is supposed to be.

Story-wise, I quite like it… but there is a reason why I did not do ANY of the Zephyrite content so far and the reason is that I don’t like jumping and I especially don’t like timed jumping. I can understand the appeal of it though, for the large majority of users – so, you know: go for it! But please, not as a mandatory part of the living story which would potentially prevent us non-jumpers from advancing the living story

#ELEtism
Yak’s Bend

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

It would indeed be a big step forward if they did away with most of the jumping in these updates.

Yes I realize that this one situation was related to the zephyrites and that their main thing is jumping and whatnot so that’s why the new content/zone is so keen on it but hopefully in the future we can maybe have content that’s a little less jumping-puzzle-ish.

I’d like to actually explore a map without having to jump everywhere. I believe this is also one of the reasons people called the map small – it is small but the jumping/movement zephyrite skills really cut it down even more.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: MrIllusion.5304

MrIllusion.5304

So far the Aspects platforming feature affects finding the Lost Coins and map exploration. I don’t think it prevents you from doing the DEs on the ground level.

My biggest issue is the lightning pull skill overshooting due to high latency, which is a problem that has been around since the first Bazaar. This is even more frustrating if you actually like the platforming elements.

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

And here is another thought. Those of us from the pong, spaceinvaders, atari generation are pushing 60. There are a lot of us. There will be more. We have disposable income. Don’t expect us to play Bingo, shuffleboard or pinocle as our entertainment. Don’t expect us all to dye our hair blue and watch Matlock reruns. Access options for an aging gamer demographic should not be rocket science.

GW1, with click to move, was and is the most friendly game for people with dexterity and hand disabilities I have ever played. GW2 is becoming one of the worst. /shrug.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Snowmoon.1758

Snowmoon.1758

I disagree.
While i’m not a good jumper myself, I appreciate that JPs are added.
And you don’t have to do any JP to be able to finish the story anyway.

Staunch Supporter of Mounts in Guild Wars 2. Gimme mah Fluffeh White Bunneh!!!
Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Oh My God.8423

Oh My God.8423

What about just have pizzle instead? Some brain-teasing mini-games. Or perhaps some pizzle that requires a small team of 2-5 people to complete. Jump pizzle is getting a bit excessive.

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Vayne.8563

Puzzles are harder to put in the game, mind puzzles, because as soon as they’re solved they’re on Dulfy (pretty much day one) and a huge percentage of the population will go there, finish the new content in an hour and complain that there’s no new content.

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: biofrog.1568

biofrog.1568

After 7 years of Guild Wars dreaming of the day I could leap into the air, I praise these vertically inspired maps.

“There’s no lag but what we make.” – biofrog

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Um Abbas.5693

Um Abbas.5693

I didn’t play for some time (I quit prior to the first jumping endeavor to the ship thing and came back here and there just to log in and out – that’s more for me as lack of end game choice after finishing my legendary, not I am used to from WoW, but that’s not the issue here), decided to give this new map a try after receiving an email, logged in, and after few overpulls and stupid jumping which I am forced to do, as there doesn’t seem to be any other way around on that map, I’ve decided to not continue yet again.
I like to walk. I am Asura, not a grasshopper.
Plus, they destroyed Lion’s Arch. Boo. (Yes, I didn’t play for rather long)

Midget Gadget * Branch of Wood
Aurora Glade ~ Army of Forgotten Souls miniguild [AoFS]
http://umabbas.net/

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Let me get this straight. You take one of the most flawed elements of the game (jumping), combine it with an as equally flawed game mechanic (aspects) and make it a core part of traversing the open world map?

Jumping is now “one of the most flawed elements of the game”?
Did I miss something?

You did get the part where everyone commended GW2 for the jumping puzzles and the whole exploration thing in PvE, right?

Plus, it’s a jump. You press space-bar, character goes up a set amount. Then comes down again. If that’s a flawed mechanic, I think you are working in Nintendo’s Zelda-team. :P

The aspects don’t seem buggy either, not even Lightning Tether. Notice how you overshoot and then drop straight down? That’s something they did this year to avoid the main issue with it from last year. Yes, last year they were horrendously annoying. But this year they work out fine.

I’d like it if jumping were an option. However, it’s the only way to proceed. If you have bad latency, it would hypothetically be completely impossible to access the rest of the zone simply because the lightning leap has leashing issues.

While a valid take, at some point a dev has to decide to not support latency XYZ or hardware B any more.
The same argument (lag) could be used to argue against changing directions while running.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Ronin.5038

Ronin.5038

I have no problems with jumping, but what I do have a problem with is the lightning aspect.
Half the time I’ll make it over a gap no problem, the other half its like I hit an invisible wall halfway over the gap and fall to my death. Incredibly infuriating.

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

And doesn’t notice the real complaint here.

Is that one can’t take their time. It’s openworld, people should be able to take their time, and not feel rushed because the aspects will time out.

I think this would be the nail on the head. My broken brain just cannot deal with it. I have done the story, and the “boss” fight nearly had me in tears (admittedly I am rather soft, but it was incredibly uncomfortable to do, what with flashes and jumps and timed crystals and annoying tendrils – good stuff if you’re not epileptic/otherwise impaired, mind). It was frustrating, and for once, I actually don’t feel good that I managed it – for example I have actually felt happy previously for doing jumping puzzles and dungeons which I previously thought I couldn’t do. After this map, I just felt sick. I couldn’t even do stuff with my guild, which would normally help. If I’d had some time to adjust, I think it might have been a less painful experience. I know how to use the aspect crystals – though Fay’s guide earlier in the thread is a lovely gesture and is appreciated nonetheless – however the lack of time being able to move is indeed the major issue here.

So whilst I appreciate the concept of the map, I get the story and all that, I’m beginning to have major doubts as to my being able to partake in the LS. I mean, I’ll try regardless, but it’s no fun to log in and discover more stuff that isn’t for me (and I had some of that last season, too, so really, why would I expect any differently this time? Meh).

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Lanhelin.3480

Lanhelin.3480

Why do the aspects have charges one cannot use due to the limited amount of time they are active?

The map is designed for the use of aspects, so we won’t get rid of this. But removing the time limit would be a great improvement for players like me who don’t really like the jump’n’run genre at all (that’s why I play a MMO btw).

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Oh My God.8423

Oh My God.8423

To be fair, I think most, if not all already, solutions to those current JPs and Guild puzzles are already YouTube. I think there will always be people who will go straight to the answers before even try it once.

The problem is not whether or not the solutions are out there on the internet for viewing, JPs are getting too prevalence as an alternative to the traditional mob-killing game-play.

Just mix it up a bit. I don’t mind seeing other forms of puzzles as a matter of diversity.

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Vayne.8563

To be fair, I think most, if not all already, solutions to those current JPs and Guild puzzles are already YouTube. I think there will always be people who will go straight to the answers before even try it once.

The problem is not whether or not the solutions are out there on the internet for viewing, JPs are getting too prevalence as an alternative to the traditional mob-killing game-play.

Just mix it up a bit. I don’t mind seeing other forms of puzzles as a matter of diversity.

But that misses my point. I know the solutions to jumping puzzles are out there, but you still need a modicum of skill to do it. A bit of practice. There’s books on how to play baseball too, but that doesn’t mean you can win a game.

Mind puzzles are different because all the skill is the mind. If you ask a riddle and provide the answer, there’s no challenge at all.

I know how to do some of the hardest jumping puzzles in this game, but even knowing how I still breaking into a sweat in some situations.

Knowing how to do a jumping puzzle is half the battle.

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Amnariel.3659

Amnariel.3659

I hate that jumping too…I finished the achievements then I left forever from the Sanctum and never look back in that hope…Now back again…I am not Spiderman nor any other superhero to run on rooftops and jump left right up down…I am a well plated warrior with at least 100KG on me…Jumping doesn’t really suits me…

I like roleplaying,this is why I have a 80 thief mainly for jumping puzzles but too much makes great problems…I am sick of jumping around,Pushed off from cliffs,getting instant killed by things,fowarding bosses who gets invulnerability on section of HPs…This is not challenging annymore…Make something new…When I approach I cliff and there are few NPC-s I am 99% sure that one have something to push me off.Or if I see a boss with other npc nearby,mainly Inquest with robots the boss will be invulnerable at sometime for something…It’s just boring from now…but that’s only my opinion through.

(edited by Amnariel.3659)

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

Thanks Elden for the shout out. I will post my tips again here so people can find it easily.

Aspect Skill Tips:

When to use which skill:

Use #1 when jumping up unto vertical cliff walls above you.
Use #2 when you want to go through a barrier/shield or quicksand.
Use #3 when jumping across a large gap (You can jump up platforms as well if they are higher than you are as long as you are far enough distance away to make use of the leap arc).

How to efficiently use each skill:

Jump Skill #1: Press 1 to go up then hold W to go forward as you reach the top.
Speed Skill #2: Aim your camera and character in the direction you want to go in then tap 2 to move through the barrier/shield/quicksand then press 2 again to stop moving forward as soon as you get through.
Leap Skill #3: Enable “Fast with Range Indicator” or “Normal” in your options menu under ground targeting. Move the green circle unto the platform ahead then press to move there (Unless you use Range Indicator in which case you hold 2 then let go when the green circle is in the right place). Do not use WASD or jump keys while using this leap skill it will do the work for you as long as you indicate the position it should leap to.

Just remember that the skills themselves will do most of the work for you. Hope that helps

Edit: I’d also like to add that it’s easier to use the aspect skills than actual jumping because you have more time between pressing the jump button and forward. I think because the skills control your character so suddenly and in a big way that people panic a bit while using them.

Just try to remember that the skills will do most of the movement for you and to try to relax when it does. Pretend you’re on an elevator and all you have to do is press the button to go up and hold forward to get out as you reach the top (in regards to the trickier skill #1). Don’t panic or try to steer the skills too much. You also don’t need to press spacebar to make the jump work.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

(edited by Fay.2735)

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Tsubaki.8732

Tsubaki.8732

Yes, that’s pretty much it. Me and many of my gamer friends (“casual gamers”, lol – we’re all 40+ and have played computer games since they came on tapes and took 20 minutes to load, and we’ve been through many mmorpg in recent years) all commented about the “jumpification” of GW2, that is, the feeling that much of the content seems to be designed around the “playstation target group” – the gamers who grew up with xbox/playstation controllers in their hands (as we like to call them, “the 12 year olds with four arms playing super mario/street fighter/…”).

Content designed around the likes/dislikes of that type of players usually involves precisely moving your character around, with limited time to react and having to use the correct skill button at precisely the correct moment, plus usually the frustration of “yes, I KNOW I have to jump here, then there, then there, but I just can’t get it right after 50 tries”. Think jumping Mario at precisely the correct moment or using some precisely timed skill combo in some fighting game.

I do not know that many OLDER gamers who like this kind of stuff, mainly I think because you need to have grown up with it to have the “skill set”, and most of the older gamers were already in their 20s when e.g. the NES appeared, or were already fully invested in “real” home computers and then moved straight to the PC instead of buying a console.

I knew about jumping puzzles when I started GW2, but I always thought they’d be some optional thing to do, like “I do not feel like killing stuff today, I’ll go do some puzzles”. That these mechanics (precise movement, limited reaction time even outside of fights) now show up more and more as OBLIGATORY stuff (i.e. necessary to get to other content) is worrying, it might mean that a lof of players will skill Living World content out of frustration.

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

I’m not really ok with Op. but it is true that I would find puzzles old. When we could take our time.

it stresses me not being able to take time to think, having managed an effect that causes me big lags.

# Asura because I’m worth it!

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Lanhelin.3480

Lanhelin.3480

The entrance quest seems designed for zerk warriors/guards, and the tedious mumblings of the NPCs add nothing, especially as you can’t skip through them to some action. Again, nothing drops from the mobs, and the boss mob spawns lots of little adds that are very easy for a zerk warrior to use stability and wipe them but not so much fun on more balanced builds.

Did it with my Condi Mesmer (no zerker, no stability) and it was no issue. Just focus on the big golem and kite/avoid the small ones. Once the big one is down, the small ones disappear too.

And less jumping? – Yes, please!

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

/sign
for less jumping.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: ESKan.6782

ESKan.6782

I like the aspect crystals, they’re as fun as they were in Labyrinthine Cliffs.

Only gripe I have is that my skill bar randomly seems to revert to weapon skills, leaving me to collect crystals again.

[PD] – Far Shiverpeaks.
Nameless Inversion/Ascension/Evasion/Ruination/Impression/Perdition/Compassion/Tactician
Guild Wars 2 will be an amazing game when it’s finished. Compare Prophecies to EotN!

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

^ It is not random. The crystals are timed.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: LONGA.1652

LONGA.1652

I would pay more $$$ on gems if A-net make Aspect skills lag free. Also that lighting pull of death.

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Raenzjar.4210

Having skimmed through most comments on topics regarding to jumping problems, maybe an “easy fix” can be implemented for many?

- Activate both way points; no fee (yes, I made that last one up)
- De-active timers on aspects
- Place more Chrystal’s
- construct alternative routes (OK, that is hard and time consuming, I’ll admit)

This would, I guess, make the zone more accessible and also specific locations.
As for activating both way points, I could not even get to the second one. So, no fee! ;-]

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

I suffer from topographical disorientation, this means I consistently get lost and cannot plot out maps in my mind; especially vertical ones.

It is so bad to the point where I cannot even drive in real life because I have panic attacks for making the wrong turn.

I’ve learned to accept my disability and move on, complaining about it is going to accomplish absolutely nothing.

If you can’t complete the jumping puzzle I suggest you do the same.

(edited by Chase.8415)

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Raenzjar.4210

Yes, that’s pretty much it. [snip]

I tried SAB a few times, think I even got some achievement point for it. For sure my bank still holds many SAB related items. Was the first time it became available. I don’t play Minecraft either. Players thoroughly enjoying and liking SAB, and I know there are many around, are either trippin’ down memory lane or learning history.

(I joke, mostly..)

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

They have the server side statistics as long as a certain % is able to complete the achievements/zones then nothing will change. I loved that I still can not get the goggle diving achievement, at least I have mastered getting up to the goggles. But there were plenty of people in my guild that completed it, some on their first try. To me that is a well designed jumping puzzle.

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

The point of the thread, is being forced to use jumping and aspects to progress in Living Story Season 2. It has gotten a little derailed by trolling.

I’m sorry, but I am concerned about all these accusations of trolling this thread. Some like Krall enjoy this content and think it is completely fine. When they defend their position you claim they are trolling. When you defend your position you are not? I have seen as many posts from you about hating it as from Krall for liking it. So I suppose someone needs to ask you to stop trolling as well.

As far as the issue of being “forced” to do something as part of the LS, that has happened with almost all releases. There will not be a content release that doesn’t challenge someone with something they find hard to do or makes it hard for them to play content.

There are personal story instances where completing them is much easier on a heavy class than light. Should I complain about being forced to play a heavy class? On the marionette many players who have one toon which might be a ranger, were often ridiculed and mocked out of the event because others perceived them to be bad for the event. Should they be forced to play another character?

There is a lot of jumping in this new zone, yes. It took me well over a year to get decent at jumping. I have many of the issues you do, but I kept practicing until I was able to do it decently. Not great, but good enough to get by.

This new area is beautiful and has challenges. Are challenges not part of the game? If I didn’t want a challenge, I would just watch television.

I will say it again, I love the aspects and the new way of handling a zone so that it is not like every other. Every release will have challenges. Anet will not please everyone, including me, every time. It isn’t trolling or ‘white knighting’ to defend something you enjoy any more than it would be for those people to call others haters and whiners because they don’t.

EDIT: @Elden Arnaas.4870. I see that you created another thread with the same theme as this one AFTER you commented on this one. I suggest that as far as trolling goes, it would seem we have a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

(edited by jheryn.8390)

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

So… having actually played this new area last night, I think I stand by my previous statement that while I typically just don’t like JPs, I do like the aspect movements. Did I fall and die? Oh yes, repeatedly. My husband actually finally got tired of ressing my sorry butt so we started working on the story components instead of simply exploring.

Our only complaint would be the time limit on the crystals. I understand they are broken, so they aren’t going to be infinite time now (and that’s perfectly fine), but some of us could really use just like 5 more seconds on those timers. Nothing huge, or drastic.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Aspects are not polished enough to be an active part of the map. I love them, I find them fun and all but they are not polished enough:

Wind: (playing far from the server) if I have to run and jump, I have to press 1 one meter away from the border and it looks bad. My character will start falling through the cliff then appear in mid air then 50%/50%, I can appear on top as intended or appear on top, then die and teleport to the bottom.
Leap: Same, it was almost impossible during the festival to activate and deactive having over 300-500ms latency. Of course I don’t blame ANet for me having lag due being far from the server, but my situation is not mine alone and it should be considered for something as this.
Lightning: Rarely lands on its position. You click 3, you place the green area, you click, the character makes that ninja rolling jump but 50% will not reach the platform, 50% will pass it by a couple of meters.

Like I said, aspects are indeed fun for me, but the way they work they shouldn’t be implemented as something core for the game yet.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Raenzjar.4210

They have the server side statistics as long as a certain % is able to complete the achievements/zones then nothing will change. [snip]

Fancy backing that statement up?

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

the feeling that much of the content seems to be designed around the “playstation target group” – the gamers who grew up with xbox/playstation controllers in their hands

I just threw up in my mouth a little. I’m sorry for this, but I’m gonna have to settle your hash.

Playstation? Xbox? Jumping was a core game mechanic in 1981 and was really solidified through Nintendo and Super Mario.

I knew about jumping puzzles when I started GW2, but I always thought they’d be some optional thing to do, like “I do not feel like killing stuff today, I’ll go do some puzzles”. That these mechanics (precise movement, limited reaction time even outside of fights) now show up more and more as OBLIGATORY stuff (i.e. necessary to get to other content) is worrying, it might mean that a lof of players will skill Living World content out of frustration.

Dude… What game did you play? It doesn’t sound like GW2. You’re making a mountain out of an anthill. The “required” jumping in this release is what? Okay, you have to use the sun dash to move past the first sandfall. Easy. Then you ground target the lightning thing to jump to the next platform, then use an air thing to jump 2 feet. Thats the first “section”. Then you walk a few yards to the next story instance where you make a grand total of like 2 jumps, one with a ground targeted lightning thing, and a childs-play jump up a cliff (with no risk of falling) with another air thing. If you do happen to fall, you get teleported a short distance and Kasmeere leaves all these convenient portals to skip the jumps you already made.

@Anet

Please don’t dumb this game down any further. For every person that can’t locate their space bar, there is another passionate gamer who LOVES your jumping puzzles. The environments in this game actually feel real! There’s physical depth and real obstacles. It’s not some flat, generic space filled with punching bags to kill. Each time I am required to jump over a log, rock, hole, or cliff is a time when I am actually interacting with the world space, and that means something no other MMO has been able to pull off before. It’s 2014. Why make a 3D game if the spacial interactivity is going to be 2-dimensional?

Thank you, and mahalo.

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

They have the server side statistics as long as a certain % is able to complete the achievements/zones then nothing will change. [snip]

Fancy backing that statement up?

They have said it many times in regards to all of their content. You may see a hundred people on the forums complaining about a jumping puzzle. But if there are still 90% of the people completing it, then there is no reason to change it. I am sure they have a % that is their target they want to try to keep it around.

If they made the jumping puzzle that 100% of people completed with no issues or time really spent then you would have a majority of those people complaining it is to easy. As a developer you have to find the right amount of difficulty, bell curves work great for this because you really want the majority of the people falling in the middle, rather than the ends. If your bell curve is skewed then the content needs to be adjusted, so that it starts rounding out again.

Source: Is a developer. (not for A-net)

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Well, certainly not everyone agrees with you. I like jumping and have been looking forward to new jumping puzzles. I also like the aspects.

I don’t see either as flawed. That is purely your opinion.

Don’t give him the “opinion” credit. Let’s stop all this “agree to disagree” nonsense that has corrupted society. Someone is either right or wrong, and discussion is how we get to the bottom of it.

Are the aspects and jumping mechanics flawless? Well humans are never flawless, their creations are thus never flawless, and certainly any game developer will agree that games are never free of bugs or issues. So by extension, the jumping and aspects are not flawless. They could be better.

Do they work well enough, however? Yes. Once you understand their functionality and quirks, they work just fine. Anet could stand to improve them a bit, but this is not grounds for removing jumping puzzles from future content. It will be a sad and boring day in Tyria if Anet lowers the bar that much. They should continue to add flavor and unique mechanics to every release.

Jumping Feedback Thread

in Living World

Raenzjar.4210

They have said it many times in regards to all of their content.

I only visit certain aspects of this forum, incl. the ranger sub. Fancy providing an actual link to some of it?

Source: is a newb