Helping New Players/Helping New Players With Dungeons

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Glitch.6849

Glitch.6849

Hey, people I know that the topic does not apply to anybody in particular and that I am not boasting about I’m more high and mighty then thou.

I was just wondering:
Q1. How come I hardly see any people helping each other?

It seems the GW2 ‘mantra’ is based upon people helping others, yet I hardly ever seen any proper acts of kindness etc. (Not counting swarming to events as helping each other) I mean actually taken time out of the day to help somebody with things.

This I happen to see a lot when doing dungeons. There seem to be many others wanting to do explore mode even when there is insufficient people to do so, yet there are others beginning story mode for their first time run.

It seems like: There’s no explore mode on. Why not help out?

Well I am not the most experienced/best player I regularly seek out helping others wanting to do story mode especially AC and enjoy helping others. I have made a few friends where we are beginning to do explore runs when we have the time.

This brings me around to my next question:
Q2. ‘Complaints’ about dungeons (even story) being too hard

This I can sympathize as dungeons are different and can be frustrating but if the more experienced began to help the less experienced then the learning curve becomes less steep. For example I lead players through the dungeon while providing general tips/advice and warnings. Then if we go through the dungeon again, one of the newer players will be leading while the rest listen. If anything goes wrong such as mass wipe I ask why this happened and we talk what could be done better. If all players are willing to listen it becomes a great and enjoyable experience.

Taking time out for others to experience dungeons is a wonderful thing, teaching others that dungeons are a whole new ball game and eventually you begin to love experiencing dungeons (Yes, I AM talking about 1 shot mobs WITH the copious amount of health :P)

I have always been on the Northern Shiverpeaks server and after the drama concerning NS I had the urge to create a community that helps its members.

So now, I am also trying to begin a guild where the purpose is to help others where it be stories or dungeons. With mind set that communication, teamwork and determination are what’s needed to form a community. (In game name: Warplayer)

I appreciate any and all who even bother to read this post, a small time out to help the little person is really appreciated and so I finish with this.

Take time to help your fellow person as you never know what will be done in kind.

Posted by: Fildydarie.1496

Fildydarie.1496

The mindset you’re looking for is more typical of a casual player. Casuals are still climbing to 80, they are getting their bearings, they are learning the content for the first time—and helping new players takes time from those other activities. This means that the most helpful players tend to also invest the least percentage of their meager time in themselves.

I think you’ll see a lot more as time goes on.

-Fildydarie
Hutchmistress of the Fluffy Bunny Brigade [FBB]

Posted by: Kaii.5149

Kaii.5149

I have to agree with Fildydarie (or whatever you would like to be called). I’m the type of player that loves to help people out. I find it fun and rewarding. At the same time, if I had a label it would be rather far from “hardcore”. I’m not interested in speeding through dungeons constantly, piling up gold, or any facet of rushing. I take my time and enjoy whatever I want to, exploring, goofing off, helping someone, wandering around. I’ve been 80 for awhile now, got all the gear I want, transmuted some stuff, but I have no interest in dungeon armor appearances and other similar things. Someone with a higher set of goals who is a collector or is aiming for the top spots in some aspect of the game isn’t likely to stop and spend time walking others through the things they struggle with. On the other hand, there are also the people who aren’t working toward anything, but just have a bad attitude in general, or think something like “I won’t help anyone because nobody helped me.”

The Owl ~ Wings of Eclipse [WOE] ~ Tarnished Coast
Join Operation: UNION [XIII]

Glitch.6849

Yea, I see the point and it does explain a bit. However I have seen this for lvl 80’s as well but to me the events draw people together however once the event/event chain end then everybody just disperses back to their own little thing.

However I am not specifically on about Guild members helping each other, the question I was wondering was about others helping random strangers and the such. E.g when I was gathering tier 1 mats in Queendale I would distribute any class appropriate gear drops to players just starting the game.

The thing is I too am still leveling to 80. I’m just over halfway through lvling my first character getting to 80, I don’t know if it’s just habit from other MMO’s (sorry if I am mistaken) as other MMO’s tend to discourage playing together with likes of farming and killstealing. (Class GW2 as an MMO)

It’s just that this question has arisen through me playing the game for a while.
(Also apologies if I am sounding very patronizing, just reading the post back to myself it sounds like I am)

Thank you for the reply and look forward to a continued discussion Fildydarie.

Glitch.6849

I have to agree with Fildydarie (or whatever you would like to be called). I’m the type of player that loves to help people out. I find it fun and rewarding. At the same time, if I had a label it would be rather far from “hardcore”. I’m not interested in speeding through dungeons constantly, piling up gold, or any facet of rushing. I take my time and enjoy whatever I want to, exploring, goofing off, helping someone, wandering around. I’ve been 80 for awhile now, got all the gear I want, transmuted some stuff, but I have no interest in dungeon armor appearances and other similar things. Someone with a higher set of goals who is a collector or is aiming for the top spots in some aspect of the game isn’t likely to stop and spend time walking others through the things they struggle with. On the other hand, there are also the people who aren’t working toward anything, but just have a bad attitude in general, or think something like “I won’t help anyone because nobody helped me.”

Yes! That is exactly the mind set I also have! I’d love to get more other like minded people onto this thread, could turn into a briliant discussion that I really want to continue!

I also label myself as not part of the hardcore group. If people are willing to learn or need any advice I will try provided it in any way I can or try to find a more knowledgable other to provide the answer.

On the further note about a persons aspirations is also a very valid point. However if someone wanted to take a break from goals and achievements, a possible option could be to help others as it can be a very rewarding experience. (just a side thought to all those veterans out there! :P)

Bad attitude is another fair topic, however it is very hard to change ones mindset to things, I am the person who will not acknowledge such people as much and will give my help to those that generally need it. However I am willing to accept that a persons mindset will change over time. Last week I had one that was trying to go through a dungeon using the ‘usual MMO dungeon raid’ mindset. In this game the dungeons do not exhibit the usual behaviour, so adaptations to tactics and mindset have to be made. After much determination I giving constant advice to the player, the mindset managed to change after repeated defeats of the player they then were willing to accept the advice, admittedly it did take over 2 hrs…

I mean the community attitude overall I find is very positive. I do see the frequent answer to a question on the Map chat that is not given by myself, however that is all I seem to see, not the active helping of others in game participation (I hope the dream does become a reality at some point though) Maybe I am too naive or ideallistic but I have seem my bouts of random kindness, it’s just they are few and far between.

Thank you for the speedy replies so far!

Glitch.6849

No further discussion ey?

Posted by: Fildydarie.1496

Fildydarie.1496

Sorry, lost track of the thread (busy life and such)…

New players tend to be in 1-15 zones, and at this point, even casual, helpful players have moved on in most cases. Couple that with the sheer size of the starter zones, and interaction is down a lot.

New players don’t necessarily know about Lion’s Arch, but it is the most convenient city for me to visit.

I play a sylvari now, but when I started in BWE1, I rolled a norn but didn’t know where to go to get to Hoelbrak—I was level 8 before I went into the city. As a sylvari, I looked behind me for the entrance first. I am more inclined to spend time in a capital city than the adjacent newbie zone, so players that don’t know where the city is / have an inclination to enter the city tend to not be available to interact with me.

I think all this amounts to a semi-mature community having problems matching up helpful players with those that need it. That said, I think the learning curve is fairly slow, the tooltips help a lot, and the pacing of new skills/weapons/features does make it easy for a player to learn the ropes without help.

I could go on, but have a back-to-school night to attend shortly—just one of the many reasons I don’t have the in-game time I wish I did.

-Fildydarie
Hutchmistress of the Fluffy Bunny Brigade [FBB]

Posted by: about thirty ninjas.1725

about thirty ninjas.1725

This thread gives me a great idea. I’m going to wander around the level 1-15 zones on my 80 and say in map chat that i’m now available to any in game questions and am also there to help anyone new to the game with any difficult vistas, skillpoints, or Story mode. I’ll also be doing “tours and lessons” for AC.

Opinions?

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

Great idea ^ I was thinking of doing the same. I’m also the type that kind of relaxes and enjoys the game, I chilled my way to 80 I swear XD Mostly i was wandering around exploring, enjoying the scenery, distracted by events and hearts and other things whenever I come across one. but one thing that helped me get to 80 was the fact that I loved helping people. Whether it’s those NPCs, where I go and talk to everyone and go out of my way to do their events or requests or helping other players with their stories, events, and so on. I just love chatting and helping people out! I just wish there’s more chatty people hahaha. some good friends I met in dungeons as well. but others came from random meetings in cities and fooling around. Another good place are people who are trying to complete maps, whatever map it may be, you can always find others at skill points, poi, vistas, trying to find their way into tricky places. But yes I see that more than often, serious players tend to keep more to themselves, there’s always a spectrum, so its up to those who have not many goals and nothing to do anymore to encourage more of this kind of culture. I agree that it feels like there is a lack, so it just comes down to how many people we have who will encourage this culture. Starts with us

Posted by: Drol.8423

Drol.8423

I will always lend a hand if i see someone battline with one or two too many mobs, but it isn’t always met with a simple thanks, perhaps this puts people off helping the next guy?
As an example, a guy had 4 mobs on him and was downed, i put down my elite banner that instantly gets them to their feet and began hacking down the mobs. To my surprise, instead of a simple “ty” he runs off into the distance – didn’t even bother helping me finish off the mobs. Of course i thanked him for his actions in map chat, not by name because i didn’t get it, to be met with reactions such as “press w to run away” and other such sarcastic remarks. So with “thanks” like that being banded about i’m not surprised that not many bother helping.
I will still continue to do my bit as i’m that kind of gamer, but i can certainly see why some just don’t bother anymore.

Posted by: Fabsm.5897

Fabsm.5897

@Drol:
Those kind of people are the grinders. They don’t mind being helpful. They don’t mind being downed or being bad at playing. They only want to grind grind grind because they want to have better gear so they will be UBER POWERFUL at playing.

These are the kind of people who show off in dungeon, thinking they can tank the mob because they have UBER GEAR and then they’re twoshotted as is anyone out there.

You were kind to help. And we’re lucky this game is all about helping, you get rewards from that (loots, exp). Just think about WoW or similar games. They will have waited for you to die to steal your kill..

@OP:
Your attitude is exactly what i have with my guildies. Trying to help the others playing better is always helpful in the end. Especially when that player will be on your flank in WvW and not a total clueless player with uber gear but no skills.

Fabsm
Guardian of Moonlight Shadow [MLS]

Posted by: Noppy.1348

Noppy.1348

Hey there people!

Just want to give you my opinion.
I’m just getting to lvl 30 and so far have not been able to enter a dungeon. But i did play WoW (don’t start screaming, i DID play WoW, not doing that anymore but that’s a complete different toppic) from European Beta and people did helped each other out a lot. Dungeons where hard and you needed information from experienced people to get it done.
That all changed over the years when they made the game easier and easier so you could just rush to the level cap. So people didn’t asked for help, and you didn’t asked for it anymore. All you did was reading the right forum posts, watched a youtube movie about the dungeon and then hoped that some group would let you run along with them so you could do the dungeon.
People are not used anymore to ask for help. And there are a lot off people that don’t wanna make time to help others with something that is not helping themself.

I’m happy to see that in this game there are people with a different mindset that really want to help people with achieving there objectives. It’s true that you have a lot off people showing up for an event and they just disappear after the event ends. But i have also notiched people that are running alongside a low level char and they chat about the mission the lowby is on and how they gonna tackle that.

Speaking for myself, i tend to help out people when i see them in trouble. Jus yesterday i was in Divinity Reach for a bit off my personal story and when that was done, i went outside the city. I was in a relaxed mood so i decided to run all the way to Kessex Hills insted off using the waypointsystem. What was planned as a short run to the zone, turned out into a 2 hour run around Queensdale. I found a few people struggling with an veteran mob, so i decided to help them. After that they walked along with me and we stumbled on a event in the monestary. After that i went on, came to the swamp and another player was in trouble (another veteran and he/she was a bit to low lvl for that area). I can go on and on but i guess you get the idea by now :-))

I’m a helper, i go out off my way to res a player (even an npc, just to keep sure that those guards/fishers/farmers can keep the world alive). I run to the other side off an area when i see a call for help/res/info/guide in the chat and help out.
The only thing i hope they do is say a simple ‘thans’ and maybe later on return the favor to another player in need.

A very long post, i know, but to sum it up: i like to help out people even if it takes some time. Some are thankfull, others just run away or being rude. It’s all about the mindset they are in and what they are used to. Play like a mature, friendly and helpfull person and you feel great. Be a egocentric player and you run to the forums to complain about overpowerd prof’s, underpowerd prof’s and insane hard dungeons that need to be nerved.
That’s just my opinion, look forward to hear your thoughts on it.

Glitch.6849

@ Fildydarie
You bring up very valid points yet again, LA/Race Cities are the main community HUB’s from what I have noticed but the newer player mainly has no idea how to access LA. True about city access as many newer player want to rush into the world and explore and I am also in agreement about the semi-mature community.

I do think the learning curve in general is very reasonable as there are tooltips (like you mentioned) and descriptions about skills. However dungeon gameplay is very different to what is experienced in the usual PvE envrionment. The learning curve of dungeons was what I was more focused about, however I am not stating/suggesting that players be given a complete guide on dungeon running as it is more fun to learn by yourself I find. Many complaining comes from the lack of determination for completion or reassessing a situation and adapting accordingly. My only irk was about cross-class-combos while when I was a new player did not know about, however it was something for me to explore and find out and started to gather more knowledge about when playing PvP.

Sidenote: Yeah, I definitely know how you feel, at the moment hopeful I get into Med School with some determination, graft and hard work! So GW2 has currently been on the back burner.

@ about thirty ninjas and takatsu
Love it that you people have been coming to a similar idea that I was having! My ideas exactly was to start possible tour guide for dungeons (currently I kind of am but no official organisation at the time being) However I thought that I should gather more experience in the game before touting off that I know more about the GW world than I acutally do.

If you people do start a tour guide I wish you all the best and really hope you do and succeed in your endevours!

@ bri
I understand what you mean, that most aspects of helping is from reviving and the such. However if you take time to chat to others more and most are happy to chat back. It’s very rewarding especially when you find the people that are truly greatful, then you can spend a few hours just grouping up together.

I thoroughly recommend doing a dungeon! They do require adaptation to the 1 shot skill mobs however if you play smart, take time to observe surroundings, assess the situation before executing a plan of action and adapt to possible scenarios you will do very well. It does take time to learn the dungeon behaviour, however if there are more experienced dungeon runners then you can ask for advice etc. more than most are extremely helpful and will provide great strategies.

I understand that you are not in the starting areas anymore, however when travelling back to your home instance it doesn’t hurt to have a little look around. :P

@ Drol and Fabsm
I understand your point very well, as I have experienced this myself. It can make you very reluctant to help another soul but carry on helping regardless! There are many more deserving people that will benefit from your selfless acts!

Just like the real world there are the greatful and the undeserving. Do not lose the attitude as it is part of who you are!

@ Noppy
Hahah! Don’t know why but the post made me chuckle, funny how a simple trip back to DR can lead to a 2hr run around in QD then of and out into the world! Like our fellow posters, keep the mindset! I say that doing the dungeon is veyr challenging at lvl 30 but doable! With a great team I managed to run Ac story at 28. (Picked up soooo many good tips along the way).

On another note I can also see how waypoint costs can discourage higher players to revive others do to travels costing a hefty amount. You may experience this over time.

I thoroughly agree, keep a good mindset and its’s great! The community will thrive on players like you and the previous posters, encourage teamwork and selflessness!

To create not just a community, but a strong one it will have to thrive on selfless acts that in turn will generate kindness towards others. Where acts are not just to benefit the individual but the many.

As time passes history will not remember me, but you, the people.

Glitch.6849

Sorry everybody, you should have deserved a warning about Incoming: Wall O’ Text

Hope many more people find out about this discussion and that you posters carry on posting with those brilliant ideas and comments of yours!

(edited by Glitch.6849)

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

haha Glitch, and all others, great thread!! and glad to see the more helpful and willing community voice out. i’m on Sanctum of Rall and i have to say the experience there has been pretty great so far.

my first dungeon story mode – lot of people were LFG, and i counted enough to form a group, so unsure of what to do, i just invited to party (with whispers) and then it was pretty easy to get a group going! and we had a ranger who was looking for EXP but ended up doing STORY with us. so it’s like u said OP, he saw no one was doing EXP and opted to help us. i let them know it was my first time and everyone was very helpful, giving tips, etc and what to expect. and HOPEFULLY now i feel like i can help lead another group whos’ goign to do story mode for the first time : )))

i pay huge attention to the /m chat, in particular for people who are askign questions and looking for help. i’ve done the same and even gotten whispers trying to answer my questions. : )))

i’ve at 80 now and instead of moving on with my story, or getting the ultimate set (mind you i DO love nice skins so am aiming for a good looking set lol, but am in no rush). so i’ve been frequenting other starter areas since i haven’t done so yet and try to help others out. i like the idea of mentioning that you’re there to help, though i don’t feel i’m that knowledgeable yet but do try to help as much as i can. the other day doing jumping puzzles in LA. the one with the darkened cave, i play a Guard so have a torch (though it doesn’t help THAT much), and i saw a player that kept mis jumping and falling and having to re-do that area, so i stopped, went back and cast symbols on the next jumping block so they could see where they were going. and did get “thank you’s” in return. a group of 4 of us finished the puzzle together and although it was short-lived and donno if will ever run into ’em again, it was fun and hopefully was able to make a difference for someone. : )))

i try to stay and talk after a good fight and on rare occasion a few of us stay behind to chat, while many seem concerned with the loot only and run off. that being said, there are some great players out there and hopefully they’ll keep doing what they’re good at and let this community thrive.D

so to OP and all others in here, i will keep paying it forward as they say.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

generally I’ve found people to be way more helpful in pve than in wvw. in the latter, I can go down, use mistform to travel behind our frontlines next to some ranged player and they don’t even help me heal up (which would take only 2-3 seconds if I’m healing as well). in pve I often get helped and try to return the favour (even going out of my way to ress someone) but really hate how I often run to a downed player, start aggroing the mobs but when he dies he doesn’t even wait for a ress but ports instantly away (sometimes even when I’m already ressing) – what do those people think I’m doing there? I’m not running into a group of mobs out of sheer fun – at least not with my squishy ele.

what I really love though is when the map has some players (and isn’t completely desolate) and you start to team up with someone for a while and part paths again when your interests digress. I often don’t even talk to the people, but its just nice to join up for a skill challenge and maybe a veteran or two, help each other out without having to make a group etc.
I don’t think talking is necessary, most of the time it’s plainly visible if the other player is working with you (ele laying fields for you, warriors trying to aggro/stand between mobs and squishies etc) or would rather be alone.

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Greetings folks, just thought I’d dip my toe in and say that I’m all for helping others out as I come across them. Like most in this thread, I’m not a hardcore player, more casual.

It’s my belief that while the creators at Anet made this game, it’s up to us to create the community.

And you cannot imagine how very important that job is for us. A welcoming and helpful community can truly make a game great, and encourage like-minded folks to stay and play, rather than bail.

Conversely, trolls and others like them, can completely ruin a game for other players — but thankfully Anet appears to be company that actually does something about them, rather than let its playerbase fight it out and lose interest and leave.

What I would suggest is if you run into a player that doesn’t say “thanks” after you helped them out, send them a private whisper — politely of course lol! — saying “You’re most welcome for the help!” Nine times out of 10 that player will apologize for not saying it sooner and explain they were completely distracted by the game and events.

But don’t stop doing it. Keep helping folks. Keep bailing them out when they appear to be swamped. Keep making this game great BECAUSE of its community. Don’t get discouraged if some folks forget the simple niceties of saying thank you, because the next person will likely be so grateful.

At my former MMO I run a little event called Pay it Forward. What it entails is veteran players helping out new and young adventurers with gear and other items, or something basic like bailing out a player who’s stuck on a questline or dungeon, asking only that those who receive something pay forward the kindness to some other random stranger in return. It started with one server and has grown game-wide (about 9 servers) and runs about two or three times a year. I believe it’s grown not because of me, but because of the remarkable sense of community this MMO has and the playbase is amazing and supportive. We can have the same thing here. Do some random kindness for someone and as they are leaving tell them to pay it forward to someone else. Eventually this movement touches everyone in game in some way, and it’s really quite remarkable Once GW2 matures a bit and we have a settled playerbase, I may try to bring the event here because it really is quite remarkable to witness the response from players — and it certainly creates an amazing wave of goodwill.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Glitch.6849

It’s great to see all these posts! Keep ‘em coming! I have read the new posts however currently do not have the time to formulate a meaningful post that expands on everybody’s experiences.

However I do agree with all of you.
It is up to us to create a good and well-being community.
To me a an MMO is only as great as its community.

*Keep making this game great BECAUSE of its community. *
What a brilliant statement!
Just curious though Jayne what was the former MMO?

Once again, thank you everyone for a continued discussion!
Just you people wait for the next sequel of Wall O’ Text!

Glitch.6849

Okay so I’ll start off now!
Incoming: Wall O’ Text pt. II

@ akamon

Yes! I love it, when you’ve got a party so set on teamwork and co-ordination! Good to hear that everybody was helping out giving advice and what not. I really recommend that you lead a party next, it’s great at building leadership skills and I recommend to encourage teamwork and situational awareness at all times! (Yeah, sorry I’m making this seem like a teamwork seminar :P)

I too plan on getting some dungeon armour particularly AC heavy armour, however I do wish they had more of those medieval full helmets for example the Warden’s helmet from the CGI Dragonage Origin trailer.

It’s good to hear SoR has a good server community too and carrying on doing what you’re doing!

@ bri

Yep add it to the ‘to do’ list! It’s a great experience however you do have to go in there with an open mind!

I agree about paying attention to the map chat but sometimes we do forget it’s there.
May GH contains more serious players but can’t speak for that personally though but I sure you’ll find like-minded people, it may just take a while. :P

@ Oranisagu

Sorry, I personally can’t speak for that myself as have yet to participate in WvW. I can sympathise with you though, however it may be that WvW is very chaotic (From footage I have seen) and players can be very focused on a particular task and may not notice a downed player? This is something that I try to introduce to newer players as situational awareness is quite an important aspect in teamwork or a helpful skills in general.

@ Jayne

I think you should dive straight in!
On another note: It is up to us to create the community however it is very difficult to create sense of community throughout the whole server. This would be a monumental task to I commend the first server that accomplishes the feat!

It’s great to see some more posters on here and hope that more come to chat and the old ones come back!

(edited by Glitch.6849)

Glitch.6849

Hey people I have another side discussion:

Reading one topic:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/Low-Level-DEs-and-Level-80-Etiquette/first#post346047

Fiennes brings up a wonderful point and would love your ideas about level 80 etiquette in low level areas.

Jayne.9251

@ Jayne

I think you should dive straight in!
On another note: It is up to us to create the community however it is very difficult to create sense of community throughout the whole server. This would be a monumental task to I commend the first server that accomplishes the feat!

Oh it’s easier than you think. It just starts with you. I’m serious.

And if other players speak up if someone’s being boorish or rude, the rude one shuts up pretty darn quick. Peer pressure at its finest, but in this case, only for good. Most of the time folks stay quiet while one or two mouth off in world map and that eventually becomes socially acceptable behaviour, which is sad and can actually kill a game as more and more players are turned off by it and leave. But I’ve witnessed an entire server turn around when a few stood up for the server and said “yeah well, this kind of behaviour isn’t acceptable.” Not said rudely mind you, or in an attack, but just politely in a “this isn’t acceptable, please stop” way.

I’m not talking about kids joking around and being, well .. kids — I’m talking about socially unacceptable behaviour like racist comments, misogyny and their ilk. You’d be surprised how powerful one single voice can be when suddenly it becomes another voice and another. And that’s a good thing.

You can create a sense of community when people are encouraged to be generous and respectful of others, regardless of viewpoints. And that’s key: You may not agree with everything everyone says, but how you approach your dissent of it makes a world of difference in the tone of the community.

You can also create a sense of community by stepping up and being the example. A lot of time on Tarnished Coast server you see people asking if anyone needs a particular piece of loot they just got in map chat. For free, not selling. I watched on launch day as one person offered this up to the general population, and sure enough, soon another and then another were offering up goodies they got that they couldn’t use. It was pretty wonderful to witness. And that was just one person being generous and not asking for money/loot/anything in return. It spread. And that established a wonderful tone and sense of community that continues to exist on the server today.

Want a better community? Be the example. Don’t get upset if you run into a few rude ones … the bulk of the playerbase are decent and kind.

about thirty ninjas.1725

<bro fists Jayne> yay tarnished coast!

>_> <_< <sneaks off>

Posted by: erock.1702

erock.1702

I’m very happy to hear that there are players like you guys out there. I think more of us should try and adopt the sentiment you guys have. I know that after reading this thread I’m going to make time to help people out more and that I MUST pay attention to the chat window more.

I’m currently at level 30 or so with my main, but I cannot tell you how many high level players have helped me out with a plethora of different tasks. I always try and say thank you, but sometimes they run off before I can type it in.

So I’d like to say a big “Thank you” to the generous anonymous souls out there that always lend a hand!!

Noppy.1348

Hey people,

i follow this post for a bit now, and must say, i’m very happy to see that there are a lot off people out there that feel and play the same way as i do.
After reading a lot (and i mean A LOT!!) off topics and different opinions, i have a feeling that the community can be devided into 2 large groups.
The first group are the people with a complete different mindset then us here on this topic. They hurry to 80, start grinding for gear, and then…. start whining on the forums that there is no endgame, there is nothing to do, they feel cheated by Anet, they want a refund,… do i need to continue?? I think you get the picture about the people i’m talking about.
Just yesterday, i found this topic ‘do you think the game is worth your 60 dollar?’ A lot off people saying yep, i enjoyed the game, i love it and so on.
BUT, there are the people that are never happy. One person stated that he wasn’t happy ‘bout the money spend. He had 250+ hours played the game and then start saying it’s not worth 60 bucks. I mean, come on, do you really keep playing a game for over 200 hours if you don’t like the game?? I wouldn’t!

This again pointed out to me that you have to have a different mindset for GW2. We, the group that is on this topic and all players with the same idea about the game, we’re having fun!! Just simple fun! We love to explore, are helping out other people without expecting anything more than a simple ‘thank you’, and basicly are ‘living’ the game. We don’t feel the need to reach the top in the quickest way. We want to enjoy our time here.
Also, this game went live around 28 august. That’s just over a month. This is a major MMO, with thousands off people trying out all kind off different stuff. So there are bugs (and not the good kind). Big deal! Did anybody played Skyrim from the beginning? I did and there where also a ton off problems at start. And that’s just a single player game. So give the people who worked for 5 years on this piece off entertainement a break. Let them take the time to sort stuff out and get it working as plannend.
Those who are waiting and complaining that Anet isn’t doing anything, are the same whiners that i mentioned before.

Agian, a lot off text but i guess you are used to it by now :-)
What i want to point out is, people, take the time to ‘enjoy’ this game. Don’t rush trough content just so you can nag about the lack off content passed 80.
And give Anet some time to get rid off the bugs and problems that are present at this time.
Just to remind some people, WoW (the great MMO that seems holy to some people) also had there share off bugs, game code problems and basicly all the stuff that every MMO encounter at startup (and even far after the early days).

My idea about a lot that is going on. Comment if you like ;-)

Glitch.6849

I’ve got to give a great round of applause to everyone here!

It’s very true the more I come to think of it. It does begin with you or me where we choose to be the example so that others may follow and encourage others to adopt similar ideals.

@ Jayne a brilliant statement that cannot be commended enough! To create a well being community where you have to stand up to your ideals not to others and where if something is truly unacceptable voice your opinion! (Try to do it politely :P)

@ about thirty ninjas

Goes and does the same thing

@ erock Welcome to the topic!

It is truly great to come together with people that have the same mindset and ideas.

@ Noppy

I think our combine posts are making peoples eyes hurt…

Back on topic: Your post is very true games are meant to be enjoyed if your accomplishment involves steamrolling to 80 for the End Game I’m sorry but this is not going to the game for you.

Like Anet has stated many times: The game does not begin at level 80

I would like to end with Jayne’s fantastic post

It just starts with you.

Glitch.6849

Anybody else want to jump in an further the discussion?

I see those 700+ views. :P

Glitch.6849

Okay folk, this is turning more into a blog and a topic discussion. :P

But here goes:

Warning: This is my most despised moment of GW2 to date, however I have learned from this experience

Last night I had one of my most despicable moments. (It ended up with me and my brother arguing between each other, NOTE NOT to the rest of the group)

I was running a dungeon with my brother and 4 other people, all in all it was a PUG group. It’s was Path 1 of Ac Explore (One of the easier/ middle difficulty paths). It was all going okay until the beginning of the burrows where the task is protecting Hodgins. The group listened to my advice however when we were struggling on the task different strategies were tried but to no avail.

A player recommended that we kill Lt. Kohler for the closer waypoint (As I decided against it at first as we struggled very hard against the bonus Troll who with observation and attrition is actually fairly easy to take down). Finally Lt. Kohler was attempted where I advised them of the pull and what it’s tell was and how to avoid it etc. We continued to get hammered and wipe.

This is where some began to leave not due to continued failure but having to stop to go to work etc. As we continued me had spent about 2 hours at this Lt. Kohler/Burrow stage where we decided to call it quits.

After much arguing with my brother etc. it was evident that there is a possibility that players who get smashed at Explore mode do not full know their class and skills, when to use them and what skills to use for a certain encounter etc.

My brother has had x4 the amount of play time compared to me so assumed that he should understand the mechanics of the played class. However that seemed not the case.

So final words are to those reading this:

1. Read the description of all weapon skills and utility skills

2. Learn how to use skills appropriately in given situations, I understand this comes with practice and time and that some may learn quicker than others

3. Try to understand other classes abilities and try to understand the cross class combos as soon as possible, this really helps in the long run

4. Note: What is poor in solo PvE can be extremely efficient in PvE Dungeons

Noppy.1348

Hey Glitch,

just a small response, i promise

I love the way this post has grown and it’s so good to see that other people are doing the same thing as i am.
On your “bad” experience with the dungeon, i guess that some people still think that time played is more important then class played.
You do have a good point there and it’s just to bad that your brother can’t see it that way at this point.

As for your 4 point list, absolutely true! This is a game that you have to “learn” and just as in school, learning takes time, effort and then some more

So lets keep this “blog” going, i love it!!

Cheers

akamon.2769

coming back here again! sorry it’s been a while. had a few days off work last week (which is when i’m usually on the forums.. cause if i’m home, i’m in Tyria! lol).

glad to see this thread keep growing and more people coming, while oldies keep coming back.DD haha Glitch and Noppy, i’ll only find it weird when you guys reply with short messages!! lol kidding aside..

have just been getting more positive experiences throughout my playtime. glad to say, haven’t really seen anything too unfortunate yet. most was this one small dispute (in a dungeon as well!) where people were deciding which route to take. but even then, it wasn’t that bad. so i’m glad in SoR so far it’s been pretty peachy for me (even despite many downs and deaths some times). will definitely try to lead a dungeon next time! might experience it a few more times ,least do all the stories first and get familiar so i can then help others. : ))) only a learning process for me to better myself, and others. so looking forward to that.

have made a few friends in the past week as well! just friendly people all in all. something as simple as i saw someone running from POI to vista to SP, same as i was. so i figured they were going for map clearance. i just sent them an invite and a whisper, and we eventually started to run for a bit together, all the while talking etc and helping others we came across in need. quite simple but so enjoyable.

@Noppy – definitely agree with what you said about what we look to get out of the game. or even more simply, what we just get out of playing the game! definitely love exploring. i see the joys in both solo and in group. but will definitely go out of ways to help people. donno why lol.

quick question – do all of you have guilds already? i’ve recently joined a small/medium-sized one as we clicked rather well in a dungeon, had a lot of fun, and got along with one another. i was honored to be invited. : ))) am wondering though, would it amount to anything if we here started a guild that was dedicated to helping players? certain visions / mission statements / virtures would include dedicating time each week to help those new at dungeons and we’d be offering it to people, and people would know we’re a guidl taht is there to help. and not to put ourselves on high horses, so somehow make that known as well. i truly believe through your actions and words, one can tell a lot about you. not saying it’s everything, and it can be harder on the interwebz, but if no one gets hurt. i think it could be a good idea. you can represent your normal guilds but maybe a certain period of time each week, we’d take the time out and specifically help out new players. we can invite them as well, as long as they’re willing to keep helping others in return when they get experienced enough. this way they can just /g if tey want to run a dungeon fo rthe first time, or just need help in general against a certain boss, or personal story..

if this runs well, we can even set up times where certain people will try to commit to and represent this guild to ensure we get best coverage as possible?

just an idea that came to me and thinking out loud. : ))))

[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

akamon.2769

okay, i definitely got carried away. lol that’s a lot of text as well.
and @Glitch, these things happen. as long as ya don’t let it get to ya! i can’t say i’ve played a lot or am very good, but i manage and always open to learn more. am still discovering new builds and ways to play. this one time, in a dungeon, we were having trouble and all i did was switch out ONE weapon and it made a noticeable difference. so that sort of relates to ur point #2.

and YES re: combo fields! i try to drop fields as much as possible, and when i see certain combo fields, i’ll pull a finished. in case people aren’t familiar with combos yet. even if not planned, all in all, i like to think they will end up benefiting myself and others.

[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Glitch.6849

Thanks everyone. Yea it was kind of a minor set back. However we tried the next day and everything certainly seemed to go better. After some explanation to my bro it was getting better e.g using the guardians many protection skills to mitigate projectiles and it ran more smoothly. Teaching how to look for combos and the benefit of them. He finally completed his first AC Ex. :P

I wouldn’t say it was his fault. As I was not explaining it well. He assumed I was the better player due to my supposed superior knowledge however it was just becuase I took time out to fully learn all skills and utility skills and understand how the class worked. However it made a big point to really try to understand your class fully.

It’s great to hear more of your experiences Noppy and akamon. I am truly dis heartened it was only a short response Noppy.

As for the Guild…

I think it’s a GREAT idea. I would love it make one into it. It was originally my idea. A cross server guild just for helping others where people can come to seek advice, help and like minds would be brilliant. This is what I hope to aspire to given time. I would love you any to try and make this a reality as it is not me that makes a guild but others.

I have already established a guild but it hasn’t taken off yet due to my lack of organisation due to studies for getting into med school. However if you are interested send me a pm and I will get back to you on the matter. The guild I have at the moment is The Fourth Legion intended at first just for me and my bro for more bank space.

However I will admit full administrative powers to others that are TRULY INTERESTED in making this idea a success. I will help when available. I was also thinking of an armoury for basic equipment for new players. That either return equipment when it out grows them etc. or provide raw mats to replace them.To the faithful posting on this topic will be a great asset if it is possible to get together and start this guild.

Also note I do understand that you all have lives and constant dedication will not be possible. The ideals will not be like guilds like pro gaming guilds as we all have other commitments.

I want this to be that the guild does not limit players to be guild loyalty out of ‘necessity’ but for players represent the guild because they choose to. (I again fully understand many have different guilds for different things, but it would great to have everyone all under one roof. :P)

To all those viewers of this post I applaud you to getting this topic to getting 1000 + views. Please do get involved and come and chat! Me and many others would love new input and if you would like to get involved in the project voice your say!

Haha. So now….

I declare OPERATION: UNION
In commencing execution.

(Sorry this post is choppy as I was writing it on a Samsung tablet. :-))
(Edited: Due to horrible writing on my Samsung. :L)

(edited by Glitch.6849)

Glitch.6849

Also to all those viewers that read. If you are interested or have any questions/queries DO drop any of us a line either pm’d or in game whispers/mail. It’s great to help out and if you ARE interested in trying to form a great GW2 community it would be great to hear from you!

To quote a great person.

It all starts with you.
Jayne

Posted by: ThunderStorm.3140

ThunderStorm.3140

I used to have fun with GW2. Not anymore. I am a veteran of mmos, going back to 1999 with Mankind, and then with EVE Online, Project Enthropia, DDO, Shaiya, KoK3, etc. GW2 started off amazingly well. I loved it! You needed to be good at tactics, strategy, long term planning and you needed to have keyboard and mouse skill as well (which I love as I type very fast and have very good reflexes).
However, GW2 is fast becoming a very anti social game. To begin with, you hardly need to talk to anyone to do anything. There is very little friendship making at all, in fact, it is the first time that I play any mmo where i have not made any new friends at all (despite trying). The only friends I have in the game came from other games we used to play together.
Then bots appeared. Then the lag. (was it the other way around? hehe). Every time I found something that needed addressing (lag, bots, drop rates, DR, etc) every single time I mentioned it in chat, someone would immediately jump up and start insulting me, or telling me to stop whining, crying, or to leave the chat and “ kitten #8221;. GW2 chat channels are so empty already as it is, they want to keep anyone from saying anything that is bothering them? It has become so bad that today I just mentioned about how weird it is (and annoying) that champion and veteran mobs hardly ever drop any loot (& when it drops it is porous bones) yet spider hatchlings have consistently given me rares and masterwork every single time, and these guys who apparently must have been just waiting for anyone to say anything, started insulting me and making me look like an idiot.
They spoiled the game so much for me that I just stopped playing. Not that much to do when you are level 80 and have 100% map completion anyway. Hardly anyone talks, nothing exciting going on, all events are the same and are now botted to infinite and beyond so this was the last straw for me.
Funny that I mostly get killed only when I run around reviving people. Every single time I see a dead or downed player on the mini map I run to them to help them. But god forbid I try to say something in chat.

With that said, it is very likely I will stop playing GW2, at least for a while.

Hope you guys have a much better experience. Cheers.

Glitch.6849

That is very unfortunate Thunderstorm and I am sad to hear this.

You seem like one who began with the same mind set as myself and others on this topic but it has been tarnished by activities you have stated and the thing is?

They are very valid reasons!
I wholly agree, the bots problem is beginning to escalate into a major problem as I have seen mass bots activity around Queensdale. You expect Anet to deal with such problems due to being supposedly experienced in these sort of issues. However they do deserve a chance.

I do not know what server you were/are playing on but when you state very valid reasons that do need addressing you are flamed and abused! That is not part of the community I like to associate myself with and that is very regrettable.

The point with GW2 being anti-social: This is true. You can go out run to an event, complete said event and go race off without even having to talk to anyone. Rinse and repeat. (This maybe a mind set of the many/few that I do not know)

However, an effort has to be made to break through the anti-social barrier and to begin talking and communicating. It has to be made by you and me
I stress, begin by BEING that example eventually people begin to follow.

I fully understand AND agree with your post.
But we as an individual have to break down these barriers to form a resemblence of any sort of community. It will always start with a minority, but if the determination is strong enough then ideals begin to flourish.

I hope you do continue to state your view on this topic Thunderstorm I would like to try to understand why players have become disappointed/unappreciated/unvalued? and how experiences can be used to form a better understanding of community.

Please continue to voice those opinions! You will not be judged on this topic no matter what as long as the post is reasonable and well constructed.

To others reading that may disagree with Thunderstorm
The poster is right!

How can this game seek to improve if all we do is blind ourselves, blind ourselves with ideallistic pretense and do not listen to reason?

To not listen to reason, we become fools

Jayne.9251

I would suggest sometimes the backlash from world chat happens because of the way folks phrase their complaints. I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and not everyone will agree with each other, but sometimes when we make our complaints or criticisms, they come off a bit aggressive, often without intending to.

I would suggest that if Thunder is receiving grevious feedback from his criticisms, he try to word those criticisms in a different way …

Now, not having witnessed his discussion in world map, I can’t comment on how he’s broached topics .. but I’ve often found there’s mass disagreement if someone approaches a topic with a blanket statement like “This sucks…” instead of “I wish they’d examine X, because it’s frustrating me” … One idea, two very different approaches. The difference being is the latter you are saying you feel this yourself, you are owning the statement … the former, you’re generalizing and making a finite statement that very likely will get equally aggressive responses.

This goes hand in hand with what I’ve suggested above .. that to get respect, you have to show respect — and that ultimately helps to build an accepting and solid community.

Edited to add: There are, of course, players out there that just like to argue and belittle others because they find it amusing. They often target one person and any time that person speaks, they start their tirade. That’s pretty vile, in my opinion, but I’ve seen it happen. You get on one guy’s bad side and he decides to make you his personal pet project. In that case, I’d just log the chat file and report him.

(edited by Jayne.9251)

Glitch.6849

Excellent reply Jayne.

It is true, respect is a two way street. It is possible that the phrasing of a statement can bring aggrovation due to many different interpretations from others.

The way help people understand your views is mainly ALL in how the arguments are phrased. However when people due say FHGRW! This X sucks many are quick to anger but a different approach needs to be taken. Why is the person saying this?

Do they have a valid reason? Y/N?

Y: Then try to explain why X is actually a good idea etc. but constructing said counterpoint in a reasonable manner.

N: Feel free to jump down their throats with L2P Noob. :P
No, don’t do that. In all seriousness either ignore the comment or you can try to convince them to see X in a different mindset or approach.

Most of the time when FHEFBF SUCKS! it normally is just a heat of the moment thing.

This bears repeating:

To get respect, you have to show respect — and that ultimately helps to build an accepting and solid community.
Jayne

Posted by: ThunderStorm.3140

ThunderStorm.3140

Jayne, I agree with you. Thing is, I formulate the issue at hand, and describe what could be done to fix it or improve it and I get whiplashed so many times that I have just stopped playing. What is the point… I have asked on several occassions “what are your arguments” and people just rant off with insults and the “s t f u” replies and others are even more direct with F words and such. People say so often “this sucks”, this blows, etc and I can either be sympathetic or not, but they don’t bother me unless they go on about it for an hour (sometimes they do and I still let them express themselves). The only time I go on is when I get these players harassing me for expressing how the game needs to be changed (it does need to be changed, there is no denying that). I mean, even when I teach people how to spot botters I get harrassed. What the heck is up with that? Players actually defending botters? Defending Diminishing Returns? Who in their right mind thinks it is any fun to get to level 80 and end game to loot porous bones? Today alone I looted over 100 porous bones. I intend on keeping them to see how many can I get haha. When I mentioned the porous bones drops I get insulted. Does ANet have their staff playing secretly to discourage any type of dissent? When I used to mention and talk about the lag issues (when you can’t play for days on end a game you paid for me which is not cheap, we have to admit) I used to get shot down within seconds. If I was going on about it for hours, I would understand it, but I would just mention that I was tired of the lag killing me and they would start on me like vultures. Anyway, enough walls of text from me haha. Sorry about if it is a lot to read. I probably won’t be posting a lot more anyway.
And Glitch, thanks so much for your support, it is very appreciated!

Glitch.6849

See that is what I assumed, you came across as a very well manner person in the first post so was quick to dismiss the idea of you just ranting and raging.

That is very peculiar. You’re getting abuse from well constructed reasons. THAT I do not understand or tolerate and it seems like an occasional occurance for you. Whenever you try to help the community you get abuse rewarded to you. I understand why you have lost heart and for that I am truly sorry.

There are many here that would love your advice that you gave to the ungreatful.

I do hope that you continue to post on this topic giving views and opinions and that eventually your faith will be restored in the game. Remember that there are always people here not just me that will continue to support you regardless.

But I leave you with this:

It is up to you Thunderstorm.
Do you allow the abuse to discourage you from building a community OR do you continue on because it is in your nature?

Jayne.9251

Thunder, it sounds like it’s your server then. Why not take advantage of the free world transfers right now and test another one out? If all of your friends are on this server, you can either A: convince them to jump to another one to test it out; or B: move to another server and return to that one as a guest to play with your friends. Some servers are better than others, it seems.

Glitch.6849

Or maybe take a time out and see if the server community matures?
It is very disappointing that there’s abuse on your server.

Maybe a change of server will do some good?
Sorry I don’t have any ideas other than what Jayne suggested.

akamon.2769

i’ve heard that certain servers can be more of one way than another. some servers might never bother rezzing you even if they run across you dead in field and no mobs around – maybe because they’ve had the same done to them. and more often than not, subconsciously or not, people will act unto others what’s been done to them. they may not even know it. but sounds like you, along with others in this thread are kind at heart, have good intentions, just want to enjoy a good game with good company. that CAN be created and it’d be sad to see you leave.

somthing i try to live by day-to-day: “making a difference”. obviously in a positive light. whether it be through small acts or in smaller circles, starting with close friends or even a stranger. and all i can hope for is that it spreds, as long as we can keep up the acts of kindness and having players value players more.

you could consider a server switch. you can feel free to add me, and i am sure Glitch, Jayne Noppy or any others in here to see which servers we are on and ask us more in-game or PM on here. : )) I’m on Sanctum of Rall and so far it’s been good. most heated argument ever was in WvW. which i can see happening more easily. but in PvE it’s been great so far.

it’s human nature – esepcially nowadays – to put others down when you have the chance to. or belittle. or devalue. but once we recognize this, we can choose to accept it, or say “no, it shouldn’t be that way”. it’s unfortunate that you’ve experienced such. there’s hardly a worse feeling when all you’ve tried is to be genuine, constructive on top of that, patient and all you get back are immature personal jabs, and these people don’t even know you. i pray that these things don’t get to you. and you remain part of the gw2 community! : )))) we need more people like you around, who are willing to voice their opinions in a logical and polite manner, constructive criticism, feedback on the game, which will ultimately foster a better community and hopefully that the game devs can pick up on and bring us better, bigger content in the patches and days to come. in the end, it’s a win all if we’re able to learn to accept it’s a good thing that others can be happy around us and not have it be revolved around ourselves.

back to the Guild – Glitch, i am glad that you had the asme idea and i can only imagine so! i love the idea of putting gear into the bank and people can use it if they need it and then return it (gotta be careful so they aren’t soulbound ; ))) ). i wouldn’t mind donating some crafted armor. and i wouldn’t mind donating matierls if chefs can help cook stuff for the guild, etc. : ))) i guess it can be based on an honor system, since the whole basis of the guild would be to help others and foster a better, trusting community. as long as learn to not get taken advantage of. haha. i have this small habit, when i find dyes that i already have, i’ll offer it to people if i’m partied up with them, if not, then to map chat. did yesterday and i actually ran into the person a bit after. it was pretty fun and i was like “o hey!” lol have ranged from common to rare dyes. and people say thanks and are appreciative even if tey could have gotten it for a mere 1s. or even less.

that being said though, i may not have the time to be fully dedicated to a guild either due to RL stuffs.. i REALLY really want one of my own a swell! lol. but i wouldn’t want to disappoin tthe people who do join. though maybe i shouldn’t let that hold me back either. but if any on here is willing to slowly, but surely work towards that, i’ll definitely don that guild name whenever i’m on and open to help people. : ))))

[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Glitch.6849

Yea would be cool idea. Based on trust and such.

I don’t see why we ALL can’t own part of the guild. With management of the different servers we are on. Have a council for each server ?
If it does build into something bigger have a separate guild for each server ?
BUT try to keep in contact with each other with updates on guilds etc.

I was just suggesting as I already had a guild set up with(kinda) :-)
First though I really think that we have keep as a family atm supporting are trust and friendship ideals. :-)

Posted by: Tungdil.4732

Tungdil.4732

I have read the entire post. It took me an hour or 2 to do so, so thank you guys for spending so much time, not gaming :p

just joking, the more i read, the more I started smiling. Everything said here was so spot on.

I have a char necro and a sylvari warrior, both around lvl 15, so I am still pretty “new”. I like the way you can do just so much without the help of anyone, just wandering around, doing private story or “collecting” hearts.

But I do agree with you all that you see just so little interaction between the players, do event and run.

Am I different? yes and no.
I can’t ressist and try to ress somebody if I see them downed, no mather if its a player or NPC. I even ressed a NPC, came back just 2 minutes later, to see it dead again. Ressed it again and killed the near mob.

I also can’t resist to help an other player that has drawn too much attention to himself or has trouble handling a monster.

The few times I really noticed someone helping me with a mob or even jumping puzzle, I try to say thanks.

I do have to admit I am not much of a chatter in the game. This is also the reason I wasn’t interesting in joining a guild soon, but I did a few days ago. it was a flemish speaking guild and so am I, that is way. i am already a bit more a chatter now.

The idea of a helpfull guild, or spreading the act by acting yourself like, sounds just great. I am still a low level so want be much of help, yet. But I will try my best to act by this credo and spread it in the game, starting with the guild I am in. If you ever make this guild, invite me: ebothorn or hordakx on the server Piken Square7

Glitch.6849

We apologise for the inconvenience please use this code to redeem your two hours.
Redeem Code: GLITCHISANOOB4

We apologise for the inconvenience,
The Fourth Legion

On a serious note. It’s great to hear that Tungdil ! It’s good that you’ve joined a guild you enjoy and that you’re spreading the ideals. HOWEVER this code is NOT the ideals of those on this topic it is the ideals of a family. A community dedicated to like minds and selflessness.

We will be in touch if the plan continues. I would love it if you share more of your experiences as you go. I would be grateful if you either direct anyone to this topic and inform others of this movement and anyone interested in having a greater involvement with the guild.

As again thanks to all posters and viewers. Try for 2000 views? Please?

(edited by Glitch.6849)

Glitch.6849

It’s also good to hear from newer players and that I hope more people continue to join in this topic!

Glitch.6849

To all the friendly posters reading and contributing to this topic.

I have made the move from Northern Shiverpeaks to Aurora Glade

This is just due to me being from UK playing on the American server at off peak times. To all on that server thank you for your kindness and keep at it!
I will begin to start recruiting at a later date for a cross server guild. Or to make it a community guild.

Time to take a hold in my new homeland.

Noppy.1348

Hey people!

Can’t resist to make my contribution again

@Glitch, happy to see that the second attempt with your brother ended better. And as i see it, you’ve learned also. Once more, this proves that this is not a ‘simple’ game. We all have to learn how to play this, and yes, that takes time. For some people a bit more then to other, but we all have to do the legwork. And in the end we become better gamers.

@Akamon hehe, i love it when people having fun with my postings
As for the guild thing, and this is not just to you, but to everybody here, this is a great idea, but it will take some work to get this up and running the way we want it. So yes, i’m all in for the guild (have to see how this will work with my current guild, need to do some reading about it with this multiple guild things and representing one), but i think it will take some time before we all are happy with it.
And Glitch, the name is great, loving it allready!

@Thunderstorm
I feel very, very sorry that you have seen so many egocentric behaviour. It seems that people these days can only think about themself. As long as they are happy, the rest off the world can just f***up! It’s that attitude that makes good and honest people turn away from a community. I understand completely that you have no desire to go back to a game where you constantly have to deal with that behaviour. But, as others have pointed out, try to switch servers. I’m on Underworld, and have not met any ‘13 year old’ that has no social skills and can only use basic neanderthal language (you know, something like: me got club, you dead, me happy! but with less syllables). So i count me with the lucky ones.
So a different server might help out a lot! Please, please, please Thunderstorm, don’t give up yet! Stay with us and join a group off people that are mature enough to be civil in a game as they would be in the real world.

@Tungdil
Hello there mate, i’m also a dutch speaking player and want to say ‘Welcome!’
It’s no shame to admit that you’re new to the game. Even an lvl 80 player was one time a new player. We have to learn, we have grow and at one point, we can spread the knowledge that we have gathered in the journey that we took.
As for your playstyle, i play much the same way. I also have that ‘urge’ to res slain people, players and NPC alike! And that’s just great! When you have the ability to res an NPC, then there is a whole set off social rules that come into play. What i mean is this: in GW2 we, the players, have the choice to res a person. And that person can be a player or an Non Player Character. Now lets say that the person is a player char. We res the char and in return we expect something. So we do the res to gain something. That something could be a simple ‘thank you’ or some help with a quest/dynamic event, or something completely different. Bottomline, we expect something!
When the downed person is a NPC, we can not expect anything for him/here when we res them. They are still scripted agents in a game. So why should we res an NPC? Well, i tell you why i res them! I feel that i contribute to the feeling off being in a realistic world. In a world were people are important. ALL PEOPLE!! Why? Because if in RL a farmer dies, he can not provide the community with goods at the market, so the community loses those goods.
Now in GW2, we do not ‘need’ those farme because he doesn’t really provides anything to the community. But…. we all want to be in a living, realistic world when we play a game (mind you, not too realistic because that would just be RL and we have enough off that allready ). So that is why i go all the way to res a slain farmer/fisher/guard.
In my opinion that is just decent, mature human behaviour that you do in the game Tungdil! So keep it up and play on.
People allways talk about what standart rules we should follow in RL and in games, but its very simple. Just play they way that you want other to play! Behave, be nice and helpfull, just as you should do in RL and as told before here, be an example and soon others will follow.

@Glitch
Lol for the ‘redeem code’ made me chuckle!

And to round up this rather long post, i would like to reach out to all you here in the community to join this wonderfull group off players that is gathering here. We seem to be all in the same mindset and i would like to descripe us as a mature group that will to everything possible to make this game a great, wonderfull social experience! Something that is so scares these days in the hectic world we live in.

Go on and be brave! cheers

about thirty ninjas.1725

I’ve had a pretty discouraging experiance recently and I’d thought I’d post about it here. And also hear any ideas for improvement. I began over the weekend offering help with a variety of dungeons, AC, CM, and SE to be exact. I refuse to do TA without atleast someone I know… I hate knights… <twitch.> But anyway, I offered and asked around and got no responces. Either way i’m feeling a bit down by the results and wonder if I can do anything different other than routinly message Lion’s Arch and the dungeon zones.

Any advice would be lovley.

And on another topic, if anyone is on Tarnished Coast that enjoys this forum post I would LOVE to run/speak with you.

Glitch.6849

I’m not sure this is the best advice but it is the one I have had most experience with.

Stand outside the dungeon that you are trying to help others with. I’m not sure if you are advertising help in map chat as it is not the most effective. It is easier to relate to others if you chat face to face. Sometimes it is hard to miss messages in map chat.

I find that this is best way for people to come to you for help.

You can try this technique and may provided you with more success.
Best of luck about thirty ninjas

How do you like the idea of forming a cross server guild? :P
You better be on board with it or else…

On another note: I was just running story dungeon with my bro and his friend. We were using teamspeak and I completely forgot about advising the others! How selfish of me!

So note: If using other communications with some members of the oarty don’t forget there’s always text chat!

C’mon! Pushed past 1400! Cheers everyone, come and get involved! If anyone is down in Aurora Glade feel free to add me and come and chat or if you need any help. Add Glitch (my account) or don’t hesitate to add Warplayer my main.

C’mon everyone get involved!

Posted by: paelen.3821

paelen.3821

Mine seemed pretty easy but I have only tried once. A mesmer and I believe I was 38 and hadn’t tried AC. So I ported there, messaged once out in /map and received a invite. Turns out I was the fifth in the group and we went right in. I haven’t read up on the dungeon so I knew nothing and still know nothing. Everyone was great and talked to each other. I have yet to try it again as well as the Mansion.