Is matchmaking always this bad?

in PvP

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

Hi, I’m bad at PvP. Have had this game since release and never played PvP more than a couple times, until recently… I decided, hey, maybe this would be a quick fun way to knock out a daily requirement or two without having to port to some area I already have completed, and maybe if I make myself play it a bit I’ll get to like it since I have been deeply involved in competitive FPS games in the past. So, as a new player(in PvP) is it always random groups of new, mostly low leveled, players getting roflstomped by guild groups? Because this has seriously been my experience with my PvP experiment so far.

I’ve read a few guides and stuff so I’m not running around with a berzerker amulet or anything. I queue up, get in a game, see maybe one or two other level 80 players on my team with me, anywhere from two to four members of my team are usually between level 10 and 45, the other team tells us in unison “GL HF”, all with matching guild tags, and proceeds to grind us in to a fine red paste until they hit the score limit and the pain stops. Routinely a single player on the other team kills three or four of us at a time, all by themselves… Killing Spree, Killing Spree, Killing Spree, over and over.

Is it always like this? Are the mythical “Ranked Matches” that I don’t have access to yet any better? I fully expect some “get gud nub” type replies, but I’m really not sure how that’s supposed to happen with matchmaking like this.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Sorry for your misfortune but yea, a full premade group vs solos can happen from time to time. (assuming everyone on your team were solos)

I highly recommend playing in Hot Joins instead of Unranked PvP, for the time being.

Unranked PvP is not meant for players who are just starting out. Start playing in Hot Joins until you learn rotations, your build and more importantly, other player’s build.
Start Dueling to understand your class mechanic as well as others.

I also highly recommend finding a Mentor for your class. You can join almost any Dueling Server and ask around to see if people there can help you play better; proper conquest rotations, meta builds, etc. Most will be nice enough to show you the ropes!

Good Luck!

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

in PvP

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

Matchmaking is always this bad.

in PvP

Posted by: abc.5790

abc.5790

Ranked matches are no better and expect to see people with an even higher skill level. A veteran ranked pvper could solo down 3 people with the same skill level as the person that killed 3 of your teammates. It’s not uncommon for a d/d elementalist to engage in 2v1 and win.

An important reminder is that sometimes the matchmaking puts you in a losing streak. Its possible that you’re in one right now but it’s not permanent so don’t worry

[Star] In My Prono
EU Scrub

in PvP

imsoenthused.1634

Ok, I’ll give the Hot Joins a try. It still seems counter intuitive that the big join PvP button lands me in such unbalanced match ups, instead of making sure I’m in games with scrubs like myself. I aspire to someday having a rank finisher that isn’t a bunny or the three year anniversary one, but I’m sure not there yet.

in PvP

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

I disagree with going to Hot Join. I thought that Hot Join was the was to go for new players when I first started and it almost made quit and never return.

Then one day during a Stonghold beta I got put into Conquest and was surprised that it was fun. And much more balanced than Hot Join.

Hot Join is just people messing around or farming noobs or just fighting. I don’t think you really learn anything about Conquest.

I recommend staying in Unranked. It will get better.

I think the system gives brand new players an artificially high MMR at first. So the first games are very lopsided.

I made a F2P account and was getting horrible matchups at first. Much worse than on my normal account. But after playing some matches it got better. The system must have adjusted my MMR down to its proper place.

in PvP

Posted by: alemfi.5107

alemfi.5107

With all the completely new F2P accounts, achievement points can actually be a decent gauge on how your matchmaking is. You can add (and remove after you are done) just to quantify how many people are new off your team, and your opponents. I’ve actually stopped playing unranked completely because there are often completely new players mixed into the pool, both on the enemy team, and on my own.

I’d personally recommend playing unranked if you are new, and just keep in mind confirmation bias. Sure you might run into tryhards 5man pre-mading sometimes. Just focus on how you can potentially improve if people are still committed to the match. If other people start afking, it might be better to solicit the other team to ask if they want to arrange duels for the rest of the matches duration.

When ground-targetted bone minion explosions become a thing, I will change this signature.- 2013
http://twitch.tv/alemfi/

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Unfortunately, the matchmaking is this game is really broken. There are a few reasons….

1. PUG for premade. This is not fun for anyone
2. Lack of a balance team. The issue is that even if two people appear equal programmatically, certain specs being OP throws off the balance.

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

go to hotjoin. less premades/ teams and mostly all solo players. theres not really any balance and the matches might snoball pretty fast, but the nice part about hotjoin is u can just leave rather than have to torture yourself for another ~10 min

just bounce around servers until u find a good one and u can usu just stay in there. you get practice that way too.

win u look at tha list, join the ones that are named “Server 0xx”, as those are the system ones, the ones w/ real names is a custom arena someone set up. of course, those can be good too, but sometimes a guild is practicing in there or whatver, so i usu do the system ones

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Your MMR is still volatile since you haven’t played many matches. The more you play, the better matchmaking will become for you. Also remember that ranked and unranked have separate MMRs so if you decide to jump into Ranked when you hit 20, you will have a similar experience until you adjust for that new pool of players.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

Your MMR is still volatile since you haven’t played many matches. The more you play, the better matchmaking will become for you. Also remember that ranked and unranked have separate MMRs so if you decide to jump into Ranked when you hit 20, you will have a similar experience until you adjust for that new pool of players.

Hey, I encountered couple of full premade/4-man queues vs solos/duos lately. Possible reason for such change? It wasn’t like that a few weeks ago and right now if you solo queue it is extremely disheartening.

Leman

in PvP

Posted by: Thiefz.3695

Thiefz.3695

The MMR for individuals grouping together is increased so if you are a group of Solo Q people with a moderately higher MMR then you will see more premade or small groups.

in PvP

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Question about MMR and that volatility — is MMR tracked per account, per profession, or per character? Because while I have a fair bit of play time in sPvP and map awareness is a transferable skill, I’m much more comfortable and practiced with some professions over others… I think it’d be a courtesy to the people playing with me while I’m flailing around like a newbie on my Elementalist if I was being matched with a more sedate grade of players than when I’m rocking one of my Guardians.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in PvP

Posted by: alemfi.5107

alemfi.5107

Question about MMR and that volatility — is MMR tracked per account, per profession, or per character? Because while I have a fair bit of play time in sPvP and map awareness is a transferable skill, I’m much more comfortable and practiced with some professions over others… I think it’d be a courtesy to the people playing with me while I’m flailing around like a newbie on my Elementalist if I was being matched with a more sedate grade of players than when I’m rocking one of my Guardians.

It has been answered before, however characters keep track of their own MMR, as well as having an account based MMR. Exactly how these two are weighted has not been disclosed. Hearing that there is MMR for ranked and unranked is news to me now though.

When ground-targetted bone minion explosions become a thing, I will change this signature.- 2013
http://twitch.tv/alemfi/

in PvP

Posted by: Revolutionen.5693

Revolutionen.5693

How GW2 even allows guilds to play against random players is beyond me. It’s a flawed mechanic and needs to be addressed. When you see the whole team with matching guild tags you already know to 99% who’s gonna win, and it’s not fun to be on the other team.

Also, the fact that DD cele ele’s have been allowed to be ridiculously OP for a quarter of a year shows how slow updates are in this game, updates were alot more frequent in GW1.

(edited by Revolutionen.5693)

in PvP

Nike.2631

It has been answered before, however characters keep track of their own MMR, as well as having an account based MMR. Exactly how these two are weighted has not been disclosed.

Awesome. Thank you for the info !

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Clarification: Professions have their own MMR tracked, but it is not currently used in matchmaking because players can switch professions after a match is made.

in PvP

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

It would be nice to see a team/guild pvp queue. Like the old team arenas they had in gw1. Because I agree, that most of the time, a random PUG group has no chance against a skilled guild group using TS.

in PvP

Posted by: TorsoReaper.8530

TorsoReaper.8530

…………………..Yes

in PvP

Posted by: ReaperJr.5967

ReaperJr.5967

Clarification: Professions have their own MMR tracked, but it is not currently used in matchmaking because players can switch professions after a match is made.

Hi Evan, thanks for the reply. May I ask if profession tracked mmr will ever be implemented? Perhaps disallow profession change after match start?

Lord Ninth \\ Champion Magus
- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

Posted by: abc.5790

abc.5790

Im up for solo queue. Just make everything solo queue because we are the majority anyway. If teams want to go against other teams, they can do it in their own private servers or participate in tourneys. They also have the option to disband and queue solo like everyone else.

It’s unfair if solo que ppl have to feed the minority. I mean, that’s how governments are run…..have the middle class majority feed the upper and lower

[Star] In My Prono
EU Scrub

in PvP

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

I’m near to reach the rank 80 and when I go in ranked solo I find frequently well balanced teams in terms of classes.
Then, about builds and players, if you find a team of full berserekr against a team with the same classes but with more balanced builds the MMR can’t do anything, the same about players abilities.
If you find a lot of noobs there’s nothing that MMR can do about that, only look for class and rank, nothing more XD

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

The last information we got was, that the profession MMR was partially (I think it was with 25%) was enabled. Am I just mistaken, or do we just not get the information, when you adjust the mmr?

Edit: Wiki Information: ‘profession-ratio=“0.25”’ Let’s see if I can find the last dev post.

Edit2: Here is the dev post with the 0.25 information: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/I-m-being-punished/first#post4746413

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

(edited by Teutos.8620)

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

-snip-

Please don’t spread wrong information. Read the time stamp.

Profession MMR was disabled 8 month ago, but Justin stated “I also turned profession ratings on at 0.25 percent” 7 month ago.

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in PvP

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

The last information we got was, that the profession MMR was partially (I think it was with 25%) was enabled. Am I just mistaken, or do we just not get the information, when you adjust the mmr?

Edit: Wiki Information: ‘profession-ratio=“0.25”’ Let’s see if I can find the last dev post.

Edit2: Here is the dev post with the 0.25 information: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/I-m-being-punished/first#post4746413

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/30-Second-DC-Question/first#post4695687

Your link is older than his.

in PvP

Nike.2631

So a loophole is disabling a powerful tool to generate good matches?

I’d, uh, kinda close the loophole…

in PvP

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

Agreed. They should disallow switching characters after matchmaking. Matchmaking should also ensure that teams are balanced in terms of class representation.

in PvP

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

I must play a totally different game than everyone else. I occasionally see a full premade, maybe every 20 games or so, MUCH MUCH more often I see duo/trio’s together. In fact if you see a full premade in your game as a solo Q then they are all individually poor players since teaming up gives your an artificial MMR boost in the system. I wish ANet would just show MMR and teams the same way DOTA2 does at the end of a match. Letting people think the opponents are always a “full guild premade” just encourages the QQ.

People really need to accept that sometimes you lose and it IS you. Sometimes you could have played better and it wasn’t unfair, you just played poorly or need to get more skilled.

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

The problem with doing this is that players can no longer switch to a more effective profession once they see the enemy team’s roster which happens quite often.

in PvP

Posted by: Osu.6307

Osu.6307

How often do people switch professions after the match sides are determined? In 50 ranked and unranked arena matches, I have never seen anyone on my side do this.

I imagine matchmaking will continue to be poor until spvp populations improve. How fair do you expect the match to be when the number of potential participants is very small? Maybe its time to join NA and EU together for spvp.

Osu

in PvP

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

Seems to be yep. Iv played for the most part unranked, but not that many, but two things constantly put me off and make me just walk away.

1:- The time it takes to actually get a match
2:- When I finally do get a match, it seems to be with people who have seemingly just bought the game and are clueless.
3:- I am with randoms against pre-made groups.
4:- Switching characters—-Why? To play against more effective characters they say. So where does it stop? You switch—I switch ad infinitem? Ridiculous? You bet! All it is, is playing the system, not playing the game.

So where is the ‘random’ in random arenas? Answer:- its not when your playing against a loaded deck!

in PvP

Posted by: Harrier.9380

Harrier.9380

The problem with doing this is that players can no longer switch to a more effective profession once they see the enemy team’s roster which happens quite often.

If I remember right, it was used in matchmaking for a while? I remember taking my Engi into ranked for the first time, shortly after it was introduced. At the time my Necro was matched with guys like Denshee or Helseth. My Engi got matched with teams capping home point with 4 people. You can probably guess how enjoyable those games were.

Been a while since I played, so not sure how matchmaking works atm, but here’s an idea: How about calculating matchmaking MMR based on class ratings? Using values for every profession with weight of each MMR adjusted based on how often class is used + extra weight for the profession player is queing as.

Example: your Ele main is in top 100. You’re taking Necro into ranked for the first time. Matchmaking doesn’t put you against other top100 players right away, but you don’t start in abysmal tier either, thanks to having MMR boost from your Ele.

“Men are more ready to repay an injury than a benefit,
because gratitude is a burden and revenge a pleasure.”

(edited by Harrier.9380)

in PvP

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

The gw2 pvp has too many factors in it and making good matchmaking kinda hard.

That’s why people are suggesting separating solo and team queue again to make it a bit simpler.

Yesterday I was playing with 4 newbie friends(all like rank 20 or below). However, we got matched up with a relatively well-known guild group on courtyard. And not surprisingly, all four of my friends downed within 5 seconds of the first encounter and we got farmed 500-0 very quickly.

in PvP

Nike.2631

First I’d ask is allowing that kind of metagaming desirable at all? What kind of weird tumbling rock-do over-paper-swap-scissors-and swap again-rock… second guessing do you really want happening?

Then I’d ask is that tomfoolery MORE desirable than a sensible and already achievable method of generating more equitable match ups?

Why not just have people COMMIT to a profession when they press the button instead of slap-hands reflex speed games during set-up?

TL;DR – I’d close the loophole.

in PvP

Nike.2631

Another question: If this intel-and-react phase is so significant, why is ANYONE at the competitive level joining on the profession they intend to play when they could run up a ‘false flag’ and swap at the last moment? This vital data people are supposedly cleverly reacting to can be casually spoofed.

in PvP

Posted by: Texas.9547

Texas.9547

Im in the let us switch camp. It stinks to be the 3rd ranger on a team that has 2 already. So not only are there times when you look at the other teams comp and decide you want to play a more competitive class but there are also times when you look at your team and go, hmmm, we could use some variety.

in PvP

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

What does any of this MMR stuff have to do with 4 man teams playing against all solo joins?

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Personally, I only switch in 2 situations:

1. If the class that I am playing has 2 or more of the same class already (making me the third). This should be resolved through matchmaking.
2. If skyhammer comes up. This could be resolved by removing the map.

in PvP

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

I have seen switching used multiple times because I PUG. With better players, I will see 2 rangers or 2 theives have one of them switch out. It is quite important even if not looking at the opposing teams roster.

in PvP

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

Yes. I just use the “Play Now” option, as I am not too serious of a PvP player. Usually the matches are OK, occasionally close and exciting. Other times you can’t even get out of the spawn point without being quickly downed.

That being said, some of my best drops came from losing matches.

in PvP

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

I’m perfectly OK with disabling profession switching entirely.

I could very well be in the minority, but I don’t think I am in this respect: I’m moderately skilled, maybe even close to good, with some professions, but absolutely noob-level at others.

So without strong use of profession specific MMR, I’ll rarely get even fights when I’m playing a class I’m “bad” at. This is frustrating to me, because it’s really difficult to get better when you’re so heavily out-classed. It’s frustrating to my teammates because they’re penalized for me trying to get better at a class I’m not good at. It’s frustrating to the other team because it’s an unbalanced match as well.

So what are the benefits to allowing profession switching?

Sure, there are probably some very skilled players that can play most classes very well. However, I think they are a very small minority.

I’d rather be locked into the profession I queued with, if it results in better matches every time, rather than trying to swap based on what I think the enemy is setup as.

Anet: you have the data. What does it support? That most players playing unranked and ranked PvP have a wide-ranging difference between professions, or that most are pretty equal across all or most professions?

in PvP

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

Im in the let us switch camp. It stinks to be the 3rd ranger on a team that has 2 already. So not only are there times when you look at the other teams comp and decide you want to play a more competitive class but there are also times when you look at your team and go, hmmm, we could use some variety.

So long as the match making system tries to avoid having more than 2 of the same class on a team (unless they’re queueing as a group), would that make up for dropping the ability to switch? Especially if it leads to better matches overall?

in PvP

imsoenthused.1634

I’m trying to get hyped up, and I can see how it could be fun, but man that unranked queue is just demoralizing, I don’t think I do too bad for someone just starting out, I can usually stay in the top half of MY team, but I have had maybe two matches total where the enemy team didn’t so clearly outmatch us that it even qualified as a competition. Anyway, thanks for all the comments, I’ll keep plugging away and hopefully my MMR will stabilize and I’ll stop getting fed to the sharks, someday.

in PvP

Posted by: Texas.9547

Texas.9547

Well it would Tamasan, but weve been down this road, alot sadly. They cant get it to reliably put you into matches with a variety of classes due to a variety of reasons such as people duo cueing with the same class, and high que times while waiting for said variety to become available.

in PvP

Posted by: Garrisyl.7402

Garrisyl.7402

Just played an unranked and got put with 4 new players with 300-500 AP against a full pre-made guildgroup. My team proceded to quadcap close and then lose it against two enemies. It was the first time I afk’d through a match, and I didn’t even feel bad about it.

I understand there’s an influx of new players, but at least put them on both teams. And if a 5-man group queues, put them against a team of more experienced players, not 4 new ones.

in PvP

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

As somebody who often 4- or 5- queues with his guild, I can tell you we get stomped as often as we stomp the other team. We 5-queued last night and had a match with full solos that we lost 500-100 or so.

Not every 5-queue is eSports. A lot of times it’s casual PvPers, WvWers, or heck even PvEers dipping their toes in.

Bad matchmaking should be fixed, but solo vs premade isn’t the only (or imho even core) problem here.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

in PvP

Posted by: Serdoc.7261

Serdoc.7261

Evan, PLEASE do not disable profession swapping.

I’m not sure, can you, umm…. do that again? ROM – 2015
#allisvain

in PvP

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

Evan, PLEASE do not disable profession swapping.

Even PLEASE ignore this guy and disable it. AFTER you disable it, improve matchmaking and don’t allow teams to have ridiculous class stacking.

in PvP

Posted by: insomniaproject.1348

insomniaproject.1348

one Thing that confuses me, so many People moan about the match makeing System, but often when i get into games i Play the the most time of that day with the same People, best chase i had yesterday i got 6times in a row in a matchup with the same 2 man Team (it was ping pong they where on my Team then next game enemy Team) that is really confuseing, so i though maybe None else is queing but it Looks like their are a ton of People, just that i somehow only get into matches with Kind of like the same People over and over again

in PvP

Posted by: InsidiousWaffle.7086

InsidiousWaffle.7086

the ranking system is getting revamped at Hot anyways