Ready Up this Friday: Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: Sasuke.2573

Sasuke.2573

There is a poll before a match starts where players can choose the map they prefer. So if the majority of the for the match teamed-up people like stronghold and vote for it, they will most likely get it. If most of them rather wanna play conquest, they’ll more likely get conquest. I dont see the problem.

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

There is a poll before a match starts where players can choose the map they prefer. So if the majority of the for the match teamed-up people like stronghold and vote for it, they will most likely get it. If most of them rather wanna play conquest, they’ll more likely get conquest. I dont see the problem.

the problem is the people who don’t get to play what they want and have to play a mode they don’t…

in PvP

Posted by: dDuff.3860

dDuff.3860

Personally, don’t mind Qing for gametypes being a problem as long as i choose what gametypes i’m Qing for. It is easily implemented in PvP window and can proc 2 different Qs —→ when 1 pop immediately leave second --→ desired matches.

On the other hand there should be 2 types of LBrds: one for conquest, one for stronghold + Guild LDRbrds, and this doesn’t sound as a good idea.
But leaderboards based on point can still be viable because of amount of win points/lost points…

Faeleth

in PvP

Posted by: Lamu.8453

Lamu.8453

If u don’t see problem u don’t play PvP:
1) U choose from 3 maps, so stronghold will be every third chance. Or hopefuly Anet place it in every single map selection
2) ppl bring different team/hero builds for SH and conquest!!!!!!
so placing them in one queue makes PvP random → it’s a joke, not e-sport.
3) A lot of players hates conquest and want to play only Stronghold, why developers force us to play everything?

All the potential for e-sport and luring new players Arenanet is throwing out by bringing WoW-style forcing people to waste their time for things players don’t want to do.

ArenaNet, please separate different Ranked Arena modes and let us play what we want.

in PvP

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I still can’t wrap my head around this decision. If I have an hour before work and I want to get a quick match in, there is a possibility that I can’t play the mode I want to play because the other mode may win out in the voting process?

I’d like to hear what some of the devs who made this decision look at as the pros of setting it up this way from a player’s point of view. Because as a player, my view is that there really aren’t any for me personally.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

in PvP

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Feedback
Separate conquest from stronghold

Reasons:

• 1. There will be players that prefer a specific profession comp between both game modes.
  • 2. Players will prefer one game mode over the other and may not want to even play the other game mode. This will probably lead to an increase in AFKers
  • 3. Matchmaking and match quality, this should be split between game modes. You can’t track different MMRs if you have the option to pick between two different game modes. Numerous players will likely want to specialize in one of the two game modes after matchmaking occurs.

I understand that you want to mizimize fracturing the playerbase, however, your choice solution risks putting players in situations they don’t want to be in or situations where they aren’t setup optimally.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

(edited by Shockwave.1230)

in PvP

Posted by: Marcos.3690

Marcos.3690

Feedback

• 3. Matchmaking and match quality, this should be split between game modes. You can’t track different MMRs if you have the option to pick between two different game modes. Numerous players will likely want to specialize in one of the two game modes.

Thats actually big. Good conquest players may be bad at stronghold and viceversa, ruining the matchmaking for others

in PvP

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

i sincerely hope they reevaluate that option. it would be like queueing up for WvW and being put on PvP instead.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in PvP

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Feedback

• 3. Matchmaking and match quality, this should be split between game modes. You can’t track different MMRs if you have the option to pick between two different game modes. Numerous players will likely want to specialize in one of the two game modes.

Thats actually big. Good conquest players may be bad at stronghold and viceversa, ruining the matchmaking for others

That is the best argument I have heard so far.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

in PvP

Posted by: Marcos.3690

Marcos.3690

There is a problem. You only vote from 3 maps chosen at random

Theres a total of 8 maps. Even if the 10 players want to play stronghold they will be forced to play conquest because of rng

in PvP

Posted by: sminkiottone.6972

sminkiottone.6972

Fail

in PvP

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Yes, I read that it was the same queue and immediately cursed out loud. I don’t want to do conquest, but would really enjoy Stronghold. Unfortunately if I can’t queue for it specifically I’ll have to end up passing. VERY disappointing as it really puts a huge damper on my excitement for HoT

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in PvP

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Maybe wvw and EotM could be in same queue too. That would be even better idea.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in PvP

Posted by: Jackie.1829

Jackie.1829

Please…. split the queues. This is absurd, if I want to play stronghold I dont want to gamble on the chance to play what I want.

How can teams even practice for a game mode if they cant even pick which to play. If a team has 2 hours on a given night and wants to practice stronghold but gets conquest each time then whats the point… 2h wasted.

[VoTF] www.votf-online.net
GW1 Rank 1 – 2 Gold Capes – [sC] [sup]

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Maybe wvw and EotM could be in same queue too. That would be even better idea.

And all dungeons/paths can be random :P

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Posted by: mire.6954

mire.6954

Nice joke anet.

in PvP

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

Spends a large chunk of time discussing all the different builds you can set up for stronghold, proceeds to state that it will be in same que as conquest >.>

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

in PvP

Posted by: feight.2704

feight.2704

Yes, I read that it was the same queue and immediately cursed out loud. I don’t want to do conquest, but would really enjoy Stronghold. Unfortunately if I can’t queue for it specifically I’ll have to end up passing. VERY disappointing as it really puts a huge damper on my excitement for HoT

why dont you just join a custom game?

in PvP

feight.2704

the system in place is already democratic enough,
7 out of 10 games i play are on Silent Storm because i vote for it and its popular
then you got foefire and nifhel,
rarely i play on spirit watch.
the popular gae modes and maps get played more often NATURALLY. if its not yours and you want 1 specific map and one specific game mode, again, custom arena.

in PvP

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Maybe because custom games arent balanced at all? With that i mean 5v5 from the beginning to the end and no team switching.

in PvP

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

This is a really bad idea. I understand they don’t want to fragment the tiny PvP population, but they need to come up with something other than this.

in PvP

feight.2704

Maybe because custom games arent balanced at all? With that i mean 5v5 from the beginning to the end and no team switching.

disable team switching.
set starting players at 10.
its Custom arenas for a reason.
is it that you want tohe convinience of joining a game using only 1 button or whaty?
the Update to pvp was made so we can choose the map we wants, just CHOOSE stronghold.

in PvP

Muchacho.2390

disable team switching.
is it that you want tohe convinience of joining a game using only 1 button or whaty?
the Update to pvp was made so we can choose the map we wants, just CHOOSE stronghold.

Well there is only one problem with that. The custom arenas from Anet dont have that options and if you make a custom arena yourself you would first need one, which doesnt come for free.

And dont forget custom arenas have no matchmaking. And some may want to play with roughly even matched players…

in PvP

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

I want to apologise to the GW2 community, in advance, after watching the recent ready up and after some consideration, I have decided that in the future whenever I will be forced to play Conquest, I will automatically leave the game, no exceptions.
I want to play Stronghold and no conquest, that’s it. ….Again I’m sorry, but I really hate Conquest, reason why I’m not playing atm.

in PvP

feight.2704

disable team switching.

Well there is only one problem with that. The custom arenas from Anet dont have that options and if you make a custom arena yourself you would first need one, which doesnt come for free.

And dont forget custom arenas have no matchmaking. And some may want to play with roughly even matched players…

the custom arenas doesn have that option , you can filter it
and you can always Join a arena ,dont need to create one .
the matchmaking the only reasonable argument thus far, and even then, it still doesn’t warrant a separate queue when we have map voting in place.

in PvP

Muchacho.2390

disable team switching.

the matchmaking the only reasonable argument thus far, and even then, it still doesn’t warrant a separate queue when we have map voting in place.

Actually you argument doesnt even work with what i said because you can leave custom arenas at any point without punishment. So even with the right settings it will not be balanced.

I also would argue that there is a big difference in choosing between different conquest maps and maps that have completly different mechanics. So i would consider your voting map argument rather weak.

in PvP

feight.2704

disable team switching.

Actually you argument doesnt even work with what i said because you can leave custom arenas at any point without punishment. So even with the right settings it will not be balanced.

I also would argue that there is a big difference in choosing between different conquest maps and maps that have completly different mechanics. So i would consider your voting map argument rather weak.

many a games i play are 4 v 5, people still leave games whether in custom or else that wouldnt change.
courtyard is deathmatch not conquest, a differrent game mode, get ur facts right.

in PvP

Posted by: domness.6719

domness.6719

disable team switching.

So the Stronghold gets voted, and suddenly you need to change builds, change team comp etc. etc. That’s going to get super messy in the 1:30 at the start of the match with pugs.

[OP] Optimise

in PvP

Muchacho.2390

disable team switching.

many a games i play are 4 v 5, people still leave games whether in custom or else that wouldnt change.
courtyard is deathmatch not conquest, a differrent game mode, get ur facts right.

Yes you will get 4v5 even in ranked/unranked but there is a dishoner system which should punish leaver. It may not active at the moment but netherless it is intended to punish leavers and it is not in custom arenas.

And for courtyard, it is not in ranked (guess why), only in unranked and even here it should be seperated. It is stupid to begin with to have dm and conquest in the same queue.

(edited by Muchacho.2390)

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

I want to apologise to the GW2 community, in advance, after watching the recent ready up and after some consideration, I have decided that in the future whenever I will be forced to play Conquest, I will automatically leave the game, no exceptions.
I want to play Stronghold and no conquest, that’s it. ….Again I’m sorry, but I really hate Conquest, reason why I’m not playing atm.

Probably you won’t be alone

And the sad story is if they share the queue, we’ll have a LOT of leavers after the map selection, and this break the system they made to avoid leavers at beginning (force us to stay in the mist, waiting for queue).

Not a smart decision, basically no sense at all.

in PvP

Posted by: tico.9814

tico.9814

Probably you won’t be alone

And the sad story is if they share the queue, we’ll have a LOT of leavers after the map selection, and this break the system they made to avoid leavers at beginning (force us to stay in the mist, waiting for queue).

Not a smart decision, basically no sense at all.

Sadly I will be one of those constant leavers, I won’t care about any punishments to my rank, leaderboards are a grind anyways, I just want to play stronghold like everybody else.

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

maybe this has been asked but….

if you don’t buy the expansion and queue for PvP, what happens when stronghold comes up?

i don’t see how they can add stronghold to regular map rotation without forcing people to buy the expansion.

in PvP

Posted by: Pixels.6532

Pixels.6532

I sometimes wonder if we are part of an experiment in sadism where ANET is testing to see how much abuse their PvP population will tolerate…

I play less now that TDM is in my conquest rotation, and I’ll play even less when Stronghold becomes part of it. If I want to queue for conquest, that’s ALL I want to queue for. If I want to play Stronghold, I don’t want to take a 3/8 chance just to be able to vote on the Stronghold map followed by a weighted roll dependent on the preferences of the 9 other people in the queue with me.

The decision to put Stronghold in the conquest rotation is so devoid of common sense, It’s astounding.

Sanctum of Rall

in PvP

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

In practice, all maps and game types should have a chance of popping up.

Beyond that, they need to be separated. This isn’t the kittening mystic toilet, the type of game you end up playing should never be left up to any amount of RNG. That’s like going through an asura gate to a home city, only to have it random roll which one you wind up in.

People there to play anything will play all three modes. People there to play just one mode will not suddenly have fun if they’re pushed into the other modes. You shouldn’t have to play modes you don’t like just to get an occasional shot at the one you do. That’s “preparing to have fun” work, something ANet once knew was a bad idea.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

in PvP

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

And the forum kittens itself again.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

in PvP

Posted by: MuscleBobBuffPants.1406

MuscleBobBuffPants.1406

Hmm I have to echo the concerns of other players that mixing queues between two different game modes will cause some headaches. Particularly those who want to play one mode or the other. As well as those who make a build for one mode and then end up having to play in the other mode.

The game mode looks good though but I am disappointed there were no 8v8 or 10v10 options. Oh well maybe the next PvP mode will find room for slightly bigger teams!

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

I am considering returning to GW2 with the addition of HoT, as I do like participating and finishing the main story arcs. However I do look to PvP as my “end-game”, and Conquest unfortunately did not go in a direction that sat well with me, though I surely did try.

Im intrigued by Stronghold and I see to an extent where the comparison to Fort Aspenwood plays, where one lane is essentially kurzicks and the other Luxons. I presume gates can’t be repaired in order to hasten the pace of reaching the Guild Lord in contrast to reaching FA’s Gunther?

With both sides pushing in different directions, How often does it break into a 5v5 team fight? I have filled my absence from GW2 with Fighters, Shooters and different game modes of Moba’s. For laning moba’s eventually lanes breakdown into team fights, since there isn’t a “farming” phase of this game, where does the team fight really break out, is it at supplies or specifically the guild lord? Perhaps I missed something but it seems the way the map has set out, it’s aiming to force players apart, but lacks sufficient reason to bring them together unless I am undervaluing the supply area.

I don’t doubt that players will eventually break together once the Guild Lord has been taken down but it looks like 1 of 2 situations comes out.
4/3 in lane with 1/2 users on defense/treb, whichever is more practical since all you need to do is dispatch NPCS since players can’t take the door so long as you have aoe you are fine.

I understand that killing players nets you the supply, if they have any, but given the context of the game, what prevents players from laming out the situation by just attacking the enemy minions? Theoreotically since the other side can only push one way, and only the minions can attack the door. If I throw 5 people into defense, and drop aoe won’t we be able to successfully stale-mate the game?

I thought heroes would be the solution to this, but they also seem to be just as vulnerable?

Smite brought out Siege to create a smaller duration of Conquest which is also 2 lanes (and formerly 5v5). The Juggernauts greatly facilitate your push, you can’t “lame” out the lane by merely dropping aoe as
1) the other lane will be pushed
2) Objectives can be directly pushed by the players.
3) Since players can directly push lanes, the reward for killing a player in your lane is the ability to fully press through
4) you can warp to the juggernaut, which makes it a strong mobility boost to press the advantage.

It doesn’t seem like there’s actual reward to killing anyone as a defender, they can’t damage the objective under any circumstance, so just kill the npcs and ignore the players.

Finally to that point it seems the only real solution is to horde supplies as a team and summon all your NPC’s at one time for the aim of making it through the aoe.

Am I mistaken in that I can’t just have 5 players on defense and stale-mate the game entirely?

In addition having the queue shared would be rather harmful to the growth of the mode entirely. I presume you have your own limitations in-house that are the reason for this? That was typically why we saw such decisions back when I played and I hope that is not the case here. If you want earnest feedback for the game, like the Keg Brawl arena, it has to be on its own.

It’s odd I got into Smite and have been playing it for 2 years, solely because of what happened with Conquest and despite that I’ve continually checked up on GW2 because I have a legitimate interest in the game and fun in the mechanics, the decisions taken with it keep forcing me out when I want to be in. It was never this hard to return from a “break” with GW1, but GW1 always had content I could feel engaged in, even if it was for a small duration of time because of the variety of modes, and the vastness of storylines in PvE. With GW2’s PvE world being dynamic but unfortunately easier to feel the repetition, I hope for the mainstay of what sustained me through GW1, and what kept me here as long as it did, the PvP.

The great forum duppy.

(edited by ensoriki.5789)

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

I think if they want to attract the max amount of players to Stronghold, they really need two different versions.

5v5 is too small for casual PvP’ers. But anything over 5v5 is too many for competitive PvP’ers.

Custom arenas are ok but it just splits the community too much. Two versions would be better.

A competitive bracket with 5v5. A non-competitive or casual bracket with 8-12v8-12.

The article highlighted that there will be some casual/PvE-friendly role(s) in this gamemode, there is no further reason to minimalize the need for individual skill by increasing the team sizes imo.

So play the competitive 5v5 bracket. I’m telling you casual players like larger teams. 5 is too small.

Casuals like bigger numbers because they want to slack off and still have a chance of competing, because the larger the group size, the less impact on each individual’s skills, so 1 of 8 people being bad is not as bad as 1 of 5 people being bad.

By that logic Soccer and Football wound’t be competitve because they have much more then 5 players on the team? You are using flawed logic.

Example

3v3 – 1 person being bad is 33.3% dead weight = harder to carry on a team

10v10 – 1 person being bad is 10% dead weight = easier to carry on a team

The point is the high the number of the team, the easier it is to carry 1 bad apple or more compared to a smaller group. Seriously, why do you think WvW is more popular?
Part of the answer to the majority regardless of whether or not they want to admit it, is that it’s more forgiving than conquest.

Countless

in PvP

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

if you don’t buy the expansion and queue for PvP, what happens when stronghold comes up?

i don’t see how they can add stronghold to regular map rotation without forcing people to buy the expansion.

This is the most salient point yet. If you only play PvP, maybe there isn’t a reason to buy the x-pac sans the specializations and new class. If it locks people out of the Stronghold rotation that just splinters the community anyways. I am looking for an upside to this and it eludes me.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

in PvP

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

My hopes have been dashed with this ready-up. I’m not a fan of conquest, but was a fan of the old GW1 GvG style. The explanation of Stronghold reminded me of that style play so I was very excited. Now that it seems it isn’t it’s own game mode like advertised, but just a map in the rotation.
I’ll not be joining into this. Don’t want to play game modes I don’t enjoy just for the chance play a mode I like.
Anet, please reconsider!

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in PvP

MarkPhilips.5169

The feedback on reddit is pretty huge too, same thought.

This means people are interested about stronghold but don’t want to be forced to play what they don’t want.

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

This is the most salient point yet. If you only play PvP, maybe there isn’t a reason to buy the x-pac sans the specializations and new class. If it locks people out of the Stronghold rotation that just splinters the community anyways. I am looking for an upside to this and it eludes me.

i was just pointing out that it cannot work this way.

they are going to change their minds before release and somehow separate it.

if i’m wrong, shoot me, but I’m probably right

in PvP

Posted by: Shiyo.3578

Shiyo.3578

Please don’t make SH another boring 5v5 mode. Also, do you expect matches to be longer and more dragged out like they are in Mobas, or short like conquest.

5v5 isn’t boring.

5v5 is boring.

See I can do it too.

Then play WVWW

in PvP

Posted by: Arcadio.6875

Arcadio.6875

queues
Stronghold / Battle of Kyhlo / Courtyard
6 Stronghold 2 Battle of Kyhlo 1 Courtyard 1 no vote
Courtyard
logs off

Separate queues for different modes please.

Lord Arcadio
League Of Ascending Immortals [OATH]

in PvP

MarkPhilips.5169

queues
Stronghold / Battle of Kyhlo / Courtyard
6 Stronghold 2 Battle of Kyhlo 1 Courtyard 1 no vote
Courtyard
logs off

Separate queues for different modes please.

Yeah, this is a terrible scenario, it’s an incredible waste of time/resources/ads/blogs/events/videos/realtimeshow to put a new game mode like stronghold behind this system.

Really, can’t do this mistake.

And BTW this is an old issue, DM should be in a different queue too.

Many people like DM, probably more people would play DM if there were a dedicated queue and maybe with better maps (more open space) it could be very fun.

Many times you think “eh the spvp population is low” but have u considered the fact that is low because people don’t like conquest and would play other game modes?

(edited by MarkPhilips.5169)

in PvP

Posted by: Eylia.2485

Eylia.2485

What if I told you … sPvP community is tiny only because people hate Conquest mode ? Why do you think they are so many ppl in hotjoin ? Because they don’t care about capping points and are just beating each others.

I don’t play unranked/ranked just because of Conquest and I bet I’m not the only one.

in PvP

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Well the solution is simple really. Keep them all on the same queue and do 2 votes, one for gamemode (Deathmatch / Conquest / Stronghold) and then if Conquest is chosen, vote for a map too.

Simple solution, everyone is happy etc

in PvP

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

And this is how I want it. A bunch of different game modes in the same que.

If you want to play the same boring conquest over and over, then feel free to do so. I’ll have fun playing different modes each game.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

in PvP

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I think Anet will eventually see sense and put it in its own queue before the expansion comes out. Just takes them sometime for common sense to kick in….

in PvP

Posted by: Lifestealer.4910

Lifestealer.4910

lol look at this.
“players aren’t interesting in conquest game mode”?
you guys are not being reasonable.
there are thousands of players enjoying conquest as we speak you know…
having a mixed pool and being able to vote on which map to play is the best option FOR NOW.
if you want stronghold exclusivity, again, there are custom arenas for y’all. but those who’ve been enjoying conquest all that time shouldn’t be penalized. simple

You do know there is only roughly 400 active conquest player per region right?.. that is pathetically low.

There is a good reason why game modes are seperated in every single game out there. Anet is the only one that think its a good idea to mix game modes together.